Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
RiffBP
05-03-2006, 07:19 AM

okay, it's been well established that tool "recycle" riffs in this song. what does anyone think of the possibility that they're employing the compositional technique of self-quotation to allude to past works? composers generally do this in an attempt to bring in old programmatic ideas (in this case the "program" is in the lyrics) and integrate them as ideas related to the new work. the third eye riff is what REALLY got me looking into this possibility. when it shows up in rosetta stoned, the guitar riff is the same, but the rhythmic figures in the bass and drums are stretched, pulled and twisted to something that almost surrounds the guitar. perhaps the return of this theme is to imply that our friend on the bad trip pryed open his third eye a little too far? thoughts?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
self-quotation

okay, it's been well established that tool "recycle" riffs in this song. what does anyone think of the possibility that they're employing the compositional technique of self-quotation to allude to past works? composers generally do this in an attempt to bring in old programmatic ideas (in this case the "program" is in the lyrics) and integrate them as ideas related to the new work. the third eye riff is what REALLY got me looking into this possibility. when it shows up in rosetta stoned, the guitar riff is the same, but the rhythmic figures in the bass and drums are stretched, pulled and twisted to something that almost surrounds the guitar. perhaps the return of this theme is to imply that our friend on the bad trip pryed open his third eye a little too far? thoughts?
05-03-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffBP
Actually, the riff you think that is from 3rd eye is one quarter note short. The reason I know this is becuase I thought the same thing you did. In conclusion, its similar, not the same.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: self-quotation

Quote:
Actually, the riff you think that is from 3rd eye is one quarter note short. The reason I know this is becuase I thought the same thing you did. In conclusion, its similar, not the same.
05-03-2006, 10:17 AM

either way, the principle of self-quotation would still apply. shostakovich used many of the same themes in his works but altered them slightly in his quotations. i'm just saying the similarities could be there for the express purpose of alluding to previous ideas. not just musically but lyricly.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

either way, the principle of self-quotation would still apply. shostakovich used many of the same themes in his works but altered them slightly in his quotations. i'm just saying the similarities could be there for the express purpose of alluding to previous ideas. not just musically but lyricly.
05-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Its an interesting thought that I hadn't considered before. There could be some truth to that. I just also enjoy taking reasonable theories that other people deduce and contemplating them as possiblity. Interesting thought.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Its an interesting thought that I hadn't considered before. There could be some truth to that. I just also enjoy taking reasonable theories that other people deduce and contemplating them as possiblity. Interesting thought.
05-04-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I thought that exact same thing the first time I heard this one. No way to know if was intentional, though. There's only so much you can do on the guitar using minor intervals using D as your anchor....
Old 05-04-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
I thought that exact same thing the first time I heard this one. No way to know if was intentional, though. There's only so much you can do on the guitar using minor intervals using D as your anchor....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
themayanlion
05-04-2006, 12:50 AM

yeah, Adam tends to play the same patterns and using the same notes, hanging around D, C, E, and F quite a lot.

it's like tom morrello. both of their big riffs tend to be low open strings and Ds, Cs
Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

yeah, Adam tends to play the same patterns and using the same notes, hanging around D, C, E, and F quite a lot.

it's like tom morrello. both of their big riffs tend to be low open strings and Ds, Cs
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply