opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
2006/05/02 - Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

If you managed to get some photos from tonight's show, please feel free to add them to the t.d.n flickr pool!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
tdn $upporter

Bincount™: 9
Re: 2006/05/02 - Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
The Pot
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocolypse / The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
The Pot
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocolypse / The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
you beat me...

FUCKING awesome show...I'll digress more later...time to smoke a bowl
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

im fucking pissed.

the WORST tool show ive ever been to. shit setlist. 35 dollar shirts. show lasted only 90 minutes. fucking rip off. what a bunch of tools we are...seriously

on a lighter note, i did manage to get a setlist. thanks to my good buddy caleb who snagged it for me......

maybe im just overreacting here...........
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Well, it was my first Tool show, and they obviously blew me away. I had previously seen a video of them during the Lateralus tour, and Maynard seemed a bit off-key, so I was somewhat worried going in... but he sung absolutely perfectly. Sent chills down my spine. Especially the soaring end of Vicarious ("Vicariously I live while the whole world dies").

I think as Maynard was speaking at the beginning, he said "I don't even have the actual album... I downloaded it". Seems he's got a good sense of humor about the leak. I can't believe they opened with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned... it was soooo heavy. If they made any mistakes during their set, I was completely ignorant to them... they played incredibly well. The acoustics in The Paramount were phenomenal... and the lounge had a drink special called "The Undertow"... it was Jagermeister mixed with some kind of energy drink.

The visuals were awesome... they implemented some album art, like the cover and some of the 3D stuff from the stereoscopic liner art. Adam's talkbox solo in Jambi was pretty much exactly like the album... really fucking haunting. I love that song. One interesting little change I noticed was during Aenima -- instead of singing "Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones", he sung "Fuck Rupert Murdoch and fuck all his clones"

The merchandise table consisted of T-Shirts, a girl tee, and a pair of underwear... all of which featured new art (all had the new logo). A few had the tour dates on the back, the black one was cool... but I really don't like the new logo so I didn't buy anything. Maybe if they had some older T's on sale I would have...

Incredible show though... wow. I loved the small venue, it was so personal. God damn that 46 & 2 drum solo... god damn it. Carey is fucking ridiculous. His double-bass shook the bejesus outta me! Wow.

Very very good show... I was kinda hoping for "The Grudge", but having Rosetta Stoned definately made up for it.

Oh and there were camera phones everywhere so I'm sure pics will be posted soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Seen tool a few times before and must admit i thought the set-list was awesome. did miss pushit but I'll take a 90 min warm up over a three month wait any day. Rosetta Stoned and Jambi were the two biggest highlights. They played like old favorites.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

...as for lost keys/rosetta stoned:

adam basically played the three note riff for lost keys over and over....it lasted about a minute or so, then the lights flipped on and maynard came stomping on the stage....and he used the megaphone thing to sing...

Last edited by NumbAnomaly; 05-02-2006 at 10:50 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Changed the lyric from "Fuck L. Ron Hubbard" to "Fuck Rupert Murdoch". For what it's worth.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Amazing show. This was my eighth Tool show and it was par for the course: Incredible Sound was awesome! I cannot wait for them to come back.

Highlights:
The Pot kills live!
Vicarious kills live!
Jambi kills live!
Rosetta Stoned (second half) kills live!
Justin's bass work at the end of Aenima!
Being able to watch Danny work the fuck out of his drums from above (mezzanine seat)!
Maynard’s spot on vocals!
Adam's huge riffige!

Complaints:
Way too short. No encore?
Set list seemed scattered. Or clumped. Or something (but I know this will need some time to work itself out).
Less Spiral Eyes' films in the background (but the new stuff is cool)
No blue Maynard (I miss you man)

I think the new stuff sounds great. Rosetta Stoned was much like it is on the album for me: first half leaves me a bit over stimulated and confused but then the second half just tears it up. I don't think however that it is a good song to open the show with. But that is just me. I just listened to the album for the first time last night at midnight, so all the new songs are really new to me. I love the new album and as I mentioned, the stuff live is fucking amazing. I think people who are disappointed with the new record will see it differently after the live experience.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Level 11 - Clamorous

Forgot to add: The Patient was unreal! They nailed it. That song has never really sat right with me on the album, but every time I have heard it live it has been a major highlight. The chorus is so powerful without all the multi tracked vocals. I hope they release I live version someday.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

YEAH the sound was amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

I liked the fact that no one opened for them. This Paramount is such a small theatre, it made the show that much more intimate. The setlist was amazing. Highlights were Rosetta Stoned, Jambi, Forty Six and 2, The Pot, The Patient, Lateralus, Vicarious. The only member that seemed rusty was Adam. Maynard nailed every note, including the intro of Rosetta Stoned (where you can't really hear what he's saying but you know he's telling some kind of fucked up story). Danny was flawless, especially on 46 and 2 with the solo...the bass drums shook the theatre. Justin's bass sounded perfect. The video images for the new songs were very intense, especially during Jambi. The Lateralus video seemed a bit re-done.

Very surprised with how upfront Maynard was. At one point, during Rosetta Stoned, he actually went out to the very front of the stage and the crowd gathered around him and tried to grab at him. Very un-Maynard like behavior, but I like it. I was expecting the band to perform most of their new album, but I'm kind of glad they treated us with a few old gems instead. Another thing I liked was the pace of the show. It never slowed down once. I hope we get The Grudge the next time they come around. Please?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
Level 11 - Clamorous

I just noticed that it is the same set list as Coachella with Rosetta Stoned added to the beginning. It will be interesting to watch this set list evolve.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

I liked the fact that no one opened for them. This Paramount is such a small theatre, it made the show that much more intimate. The setlist was amazing. Highlights were Rosetta Stoned, Jambi, Forty Six and 2, The Pot, The Patient, Lateralus, Vicarious. The only member that seemed rusty was Adam. Maynard nailed every note, including the intro of Rosetta Stoned (where you can't really hear what he's saying but you know he's telling some kind of fucked up story). Danny was flawless, especially on 46 and 2 with the solo...the bass drums shook the theatre. Justin's bass sounded perfect. The video images for the new songs were very intense, especially during Jambi. The Lateralus video seemed a bit re-done.

Very surprised with how upfront Maynard was. At one point, during Rosetta Stoned, he actually went out to the very front of the stage and the crowd gathered around him and tried to grab at him. Very un-Maynard like behavior, but I like it. I was expecting the band to perform most of their new album, but I'm kind of glad they treated us with a few old gems instead. Another thing I liked was the pace of the show. It never slowed down once. I hope we get The Grudge the next time they come around. Please?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by _La_te_ra_lus_
Very surprised with how upfront Maynard was. At one point, during Rosetta Stoned, he actually went out to the very front of the stage and the crowd gathered around him and tried to grab at him. Very un-Maynard like behavior, but I like it.
Back during the Undertow and Aenima tours, he used to be right up on the edge of the stage staring into the crowd like he was going to kill someone at any moment. It was intense and frightening. I kinda miss it. But I am cool with the evolution of the live show and also enjoy the way he lets the other musicians stand out now.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

I really enjoyed the show. The price I paid for a god-damned ticket was worth it...as was the 4 year wait to see them live again. Some people complained that the show was too short....they played 90 minutes non-stop. No intermision or anything, just business....and they are in the business of rockin' your friggin' face off! Thank you TOOL!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Walking up to the paramount… Trying to hide my enthusiasm for what I know is about to take place in an hour. I hop along the sidewalk as scalpers try to milk out the last of peoples’ pennies. As I approach the entrance I can see a huge line that wraps around the side of the building. I walk right past it and to the security guards at the door frisking people. I don’t know if the people in that line were waiting for the door (most likely) but no one stopped me, so I just walked on in. Once I was in, a huge sigh of relief that my ticket was valid and I just let the old architecture of the aged building sink in.

Gold trim along all the ceiling. Crystal Chandeliers hung from velvet covered chains. Domes emerging from the ceilings, long winding staircases. Curtains. Everything about this place is gorgeous. After a quick stop to the bathroom, and a quick splurge of $35 for a t-shirt, I just stood at the railing on the second floor lobby staring down at the main entrance for half an hour, just watching people walk in. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many happy people. I think everyone who walked through those doors was thankful to be in there. A few of them vocally so.

After half an hour of people watching I decide to head in to the theatre. The first thing I notice is of course Danny’s tremendous drum set on the stage. Taking up a full third of the back half of the stage. I find my seat and relax for the next 45 minutes, awaiting what I know is about to come.

The lights all flicker off in an instance. The crowd erupts into thunderous cheers and screams and clapping as the band take the stage sans Maynard. Four large white screens are set up behind the gear along the back side of the stage, separated by columns of lights. The band arranges themselves similar to the Lateralus tour, with Adam and Justin in front and Danny and Maynard in back on 1-2 foot risers.

The band begins to play “Lost Keys” as the crowd continues their screams and cheers. The air is filled with energy. You can feel it crawl along your every skin, peeling back at the nerves searching for a way in. As “Lost Keys” comes to an end, out comes Maynard, shirtless, with a Mohawk, some big Aviator glasses, cowboy boots, and some sort of megaphone strapped to his back. He stomps around as again, the crowd goes completely mad. They flow into “Rosetta Stoned” and after a few quick seconds of adjustments, the sound quickly syncs up and balances out. The beauty of the small theatre truly shines through. It’s so very refreshing to listen to music in a room that is designed for music, and not ice-hockey. There is no echo. There is no pinging. It’s simply aural pleasure.

The band fairly quickly then, melt into an older song. The intro to “Stinkfist” is quite unmistakable. And the crowd knows it right away. As the video plays in the background sprawled across the four large screens, the band plays ever so perfectly in front. There is not much more that needs to be said about that. A perfect rendition.

At this point, when Stinkfist ends, Maynard introduces the city of Seattle to TooL and TooL to the city of Seattle. And now that we were on a first name basis with the band, they decided to play the first song I was introduced to TooL with - “46 & 2.” One of my all time favorite songs. Easily recognizable after the first 2 notes, the crowd screams in delight at the thought of such a treat! Again, they play the song flawlessly, as Maynard sways about to the music, stomping occasionally. The energy in the room was enough to make every hair on your body stand on end. It was incredible.

Maynard eventually puts on a cowboy hat for a while as the band switches back to a few new songs. They play “The Pot” and “Jambi” which sounded incredible in my opinion. All the while the 4 screens playing the normal tool imagery behind the band. A lot of fire and water-like animations as well as some newer anatomical animations. However, none of them very impressive. I found the actual videos the most interesting things on the screens. I believe after those songs, Maynard makes a few jokes about the Album being out today. Saying “I already have it. I downloaded it. It’s pretty good” or something along those lines and intoduces one of the next songs as “ToolCocksuckers”

And then back to an older song, as they play “Schism” to much fan approval. Although, not my favorite tool song… Any tool song live, is a great tool song, and I do really like the video for it.

And continuing the Lateralus trend the band plays “Eon Blue Apocolypse” followed by “The Patient” one of my favorite songs. Maynard really proves just how beautiful of a voice he has. The entire crowd singing along, yet completely overpowered by his stinging vocals. It’s truly a beautiful thing.

Afterwards, they play another crowd favorite and the only song from Undertow, “Sober.” And again, it’s quite clear from the first few notes, that most everyone knew what was coming. I would hope that considering most of the people who went to the show paid well over $100 and closer to $200-$500 for a single ticket, that they’d at least be pretty familiar with the band. Yet even so, the seat next to me, for instance… Empty. That was a bit disheartening, as I tried my damndest to get a ticket for a friend, to no avail. There were a few empty seats just around me. At least 3 that I counted within 1 row in front of me and behind me… That was sad to see.

So back to the music… After Sober, Maynard talked a bit more about Seattle being intimidating, and made some witty comment about Starbucks. The Lateralus vertical eye with the rainbow flame image appeared on the screens and the band played the intro to “Lateralus” – another favorite of mine. With corresponding imagery in the back, and the band perfectly playing in front, it was quite the emotional experience. I find a great connection to that song, and was moved pretty deeply by its perfect reproduction.

Next up the band played “Vicarious”, another crowd favorite. And again, nailed it. There are very few bands that I’ve ever seen that can play with such musicianship and skill and really sound incredible live. Tool is most certainly one of those bands however.

After than, Maynard, thanked us for coming out, and it was pretty clear that this next song would be the last. And it seemed only fitting given our current state of affairs to end the evening with Aenema. As soon as Maynard started with “Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey” as Justin started the bass intro… The theatre once again erupted into a thunderous roar of screams. Everyone was screaming along to this, the final song, yet again, all you could hear was the notes of the band dancing through the air and slamming against your face. Maynard’s voice loud and clear, and crisp against his accompanying musicians. I do believe he switched something instead of L. Ron Hubbard, but I couldn’t quite make out what exactly was said. I was just caught up in the music, and was not paying as much attention as I could have been.

The band ended by tossing the drumsticks into the crowd and standing together center-stage taking turns hugging each other. They were pretty thorough with their hugs. Each one of them hugged every other one at least once. All the while the crowd screaming in thanks and amazement at what had jut taken place.

All in all, it was easily and without a doubt one of the most incredible experiences of my entire life. The set lasted about 90 minutes, and was packed full of what I would consider a nice mix of both older and newer stuff. As shitty as it was that tickets were selling for as much as they were… I’m going to say that they are worth every penny of that money, and if they came back, I would pay it to see them again… Those of you who have tickets for any of the other mini-tour shows are in for quite a treat. There really are no words to describe the beauty that was this evening… It will not soon be forgotten… Not ever…

Last edited by ThePuzzleMaster; 05-02-2006 at 11:56 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Absolutely intensely amazingly breathtaking...as always! This was my 5th TOOL show, and once again the members of the band that strikes me so hard rocked my world in many ways!

Set list has been posted, but I'm so stoked I'm going to post it again!

8:14pm: Adam, Danny, and Justin walk onto the stage...

.5. Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann) Intro into
1. Rosetta Stoned
2. Stinkfist (Regular Album Version)
3. 46 & 2
4. The Pot
5. Jambi
6. Schism
7. Eon Blue Apocalypse into
8. The Patient
9. Sober (with INTENSE feedback intro)
10. Lateralus
11. Vicarious
12. Aenema

9:55pm: TOOL walks off stage with the Seattle Paramount crowd ROARING!

Final tally: 3.5 from "10,000 Days", 4 from "Lateralus", 3 from "Aenema", and 1 from "Undertow". None from "Opiate". 12.5 total songs at around 90 minutes.

I paid $225 for my Mezz 11 Row E ticket, and it was worth every single penny! After seeing them live again, money isn't even an issue. To be there, to soak in the energy of TOOL live is completely worth it for me. I could not be a happier man right now!

I thought they played well! Adam did seem off in a couple points, I did hear Maynard's voice crack a tiny bit once, but other than that they were ON. Danny...I mean, what can you say about this man that makes sense in English?! WITNESSING him play the kit he uses is all you can say really...until you see it...it just won't make sense. The man's soul purpose is to play the drums, and play them better than any human on the planet right now. (I really dug the touch pad he plays with at the beginning of "Vicarious"...and a second on "The Patient".)

I thought the sound was mixed fantastically! Maynard's vocal levels could have been up just a tiny bit, but other than that everything sounded very clean, clear, and even.

I as incredibly stoked to hear "The Patient", "Jambi" (which makes so much sense live!), "Rosetta Stoned", and of course "Lateralus" (which I cried right through).

I did my best not to have any expectations going into the show, which I did quite well in. Near the end, I realized they were playing the same set they were playing at Coachelle, so I somewhat knew what was coming and when. I was just a tiny bit sad by the end of the show that we did not get to see any random rare live tracks, but overall - it doesn't matter. They played for 90 minutes straight, and gave they hearts to us...as they always do...and I AM THANKFUL!!!

Hopefully by the time they come back around they will be nice and warm so we'll get to see some "Grudge" or "Opiate" or "H." or god knows what else.

Thank you Danny, Maynard, Adam, and Justin once again! Much respects!!

myspace.com/skoi | waxdj.com/skoisirius

Last edited by skoiboy; 05-03-2006 at 12:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

The whole thing blew my face off. I'm deaf right now.
Performance was damn near perfect. Adam messed up at the very beginning of the set on the first riff... I thought it was funny. It in no way detracted from the show. I think small things like that add character. And Justin is the man. He may well be the best bass player in modern rock, and I mean that. He actually plays those guitar sounding solo/lead parts during Vicarious!!! That blew my mind. He did it during another song too, damned if I remember which one. Danny is, of course, untouchable, and Maynard was as amusing and frightening as I could have hoped.
A highlight for me was when someone came stumbling up the aisle, had a seizure, and fell on my friend during Jambi. A ton of people came over to pick him up, and my friend and I were trying to get him to move too. Poor guy.
I don't have any complaints, but I'd like to add that I saw a couple of women with a camera meandering through the theater throughout the show. The had the all access badges, so that should be interesting. I also think I saw a guy with a camera run out onstage at the end of the show too, crouching on Maynard's stand filming the crowd.
I was 4 rows behind the soundboard, and on either side of it were condensor mics, which is something a lot of bands will do to mic up the crowd when filming live.

What I'm getting at is I think they filmed this here thing. That'd be cool. Hopefully they film all of the mini-tour shows and throw something at us DVD-wise soon!

So, to sum up:
SUPER loud (Band AND crowd!)
Amazing performances (Justin deserves special recognition! Incredible!)
Guy with Epilepsy
Ladies with Camera
Yeehaw.

BADASS. My first Tool experience will stick with me forever.
I am changed.
G'nighty whiteys.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #20
tdn $upporter

Bincount™: 9

"I can't read" -MJK

danny had some kind of trigger that shook the whole theatre with enormous bass during the patient. he used it again later in the show. stuff like that blows me away. the patient tonight was better than i've ever heard it.

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned was what i wanted and fukitall i got it =)

i think this show just knocked las vegas '02 off top rank of best tool shows i've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoiboy
9. Sober (with INTENSE feedback intro)
hell yeah! that intro was money!

Last edited by GernBlanston; 05-03-2006 at 12:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Just got home from the 3.5 hour drive (go leadfoot go) -- everyone else has pretty much covered it. They did seem a little rusty on the old tracks here and there (the occasional swapped lyric and a few 'i meant to do that' sounding things on adam's part that didn't necessarily sound bad but were "wrong" :) ), but the 10K songs were very tight; Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is not my favorite track on the album but it works well live. (and it's growing on me on the album, as well.. I think Intension is really the only track I feel the urge to skip over anymore.)

I burned $350 for a row E mezz seat right in the center (seat 1, so I got an aisle to stomp in, yay!!) -- I honestly think one of the highlights of the show for me was the entire crowd singing along; the acoustics in the paramount accented it very well, and it was really, really cool to hear a huge part of the crowd belting the songs out.

The other great thing about my seat was that this was the first time I got a _really_ good view of Danny playing, this being my sixth show, but I've always been too far away to see well or on the floor in GA where I have to look over people to see anything (I'm 5'10", but it seems like everyone that likes Tool is NINE FUCKING FEET TALL and has an inexplicable urge to stand right in front of me no matter where I go.) So, yes, Danny is a monster. He makes all of that look totally effortless. Color me impressed, finally; I feel uncoordinated now. Well. I did before, but now I feel REALLY uncoordinated. :D

Maynard intentionally DIDN'T sing the second line of The Pot for a bit, I think to see how many people would sing along with it without him. I was one. Tee hee. :P

All in all, I don't know if it was worth $350, as it was a slightly shorter set than I was hoping for, but the guys looked pretty beat after 90 minutes of solid asskicking. Still, though, you'd think that you'd get an encore out of 'em, even of something downbeat. I held out a little hope that we'd get wings/10,000 days in there, but I suppose that's probably just hard to work into a setlist (kind of like how they didn't play The Patient at first? I think I only got to see that one live on the arena tour, when they toured with KC it didn't get played at either show I attended.)

Anyway, nobody said hi to poor decepticon brightshadow. The girl at the door scanning tickets DID, however, say "nice shirt!" to me as I walked in. That same girl suggested that I chew on a cigarette for a while if I was going to nic-fit when I asked if there was anywhere to go outside and smoke and still get back into the venue. If she wasn't a ticket scanner slave and I wasn't already seeing someone I'd probably have asked her for her number based on the amusing attitude alone. Hah.

Anyway, I'm bushed after 7 hours of driving, 4 hours of standing around outside the venue, and 90 minutes of teh rawk. Goodnight, world.

Oh, one other thing of note. Maynard's voice cracked on a high note at one point. Never heard THAT happen before. Guess nobody's perfect after all. ;)

Last edited by brightshadow; 05-03-2006 at 01:00 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #22
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Live Again
but I'd like to add that I saw a couple of women with a camera meandering through the theater throughout the show. The had the all access badges, so that should be interesting.
One of them was Adam's wife, Camella. They are going to start posting the photos on toolarmy I believe.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

this. show. was. fucking. awesome.

just got back, rosetta stoned live FUCK YES i was stoked.

maynard used the keyboard thing on vicarious and the beginning of schism... ??

the visuals tonight were amazing, they showed the videos with added clips. words changed on aenema to..??? fuck who?

maynard wasn't as vocal apparently as coachella, but still the music speaks for itself. amazing show, can't wait for the fall tour. got some good pictures and a couple vid clips and songs...probably not gonna share any of the video cause it's only sections of songs due to not wanting to irritate the people behind me. hope somebody got the show recorded though in good quality (audio)

oh...did i mention ROSETTA STONED LIVE??

i did? So whaaat =]]]]]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston
"I can't read" -MJK

danny had some kind of trigger that shook the whole theatre with enormous bass during the patient. he used it again later in the show. stuff like that blows me away. the patient tonight was better than i've ever heard it.
it was his gong, scared the bejesus out of me. on lateralus it was more pronounced.

PS. uploading a few pics to the t.d.n. flickr group

Last edited by tempathy; 05-03-2006 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: ynot?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1540

Fucking. amazing. show.

Rosetta Stoned was amazing for an opener, the whole set just kicked you ass from the get go. I can't believe no one mentioned the Gong hit during Lateralus....holy fuck was that loud, I wouldn't be surprised if it cracked the foundation of the building. The energy of the crowd....wow.

I'm so amazed I got to go to this show, I feel very very lucky. It didn't look like it was going to happen, but I work for a student newspaper and found out monday afternoon that we got a photo pass and 1 ticket. I ended up with an amazing ticket, dead center stage right in front of the soundboard, about 15 rows back.

Photographers were only allowed to shoot the first song, so I've got a cd full of professional photos taken by the photographer who went with me from Rosetta stoned. I'm going to talk to tool's press people to see if there is a way I can put them up in a gallery in low res or something, but the agreement our photog signed said we're only allowed to use them for print one time. So hopefully I can work something out and get them up so everyone can see them.

That's about enough out of you, God. Banned.
---Paraflux
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 05:19 AM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yeah Justin was awesome... and he was so into it too. The band was so alive... except Adam, but I mean he's got some crazy shit to focus on... I can't get over that talkbox. It;s about time he broke it out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 3

That show was insane. LK/Rosetta Stoned may not be the perfect song to open a set with, but the fact that I recognized it immediately while realizing that it was the first time ever that song was being performed in concert, made it memorable as hell! Absolutely incredible! The acoustics in the Paramount are fantastic. I cannot remember a concert yet where the double bass just felt like it was repeatedly kicking me in the gut. And that gong hit must've registered as a small quake somewhere in a nearby geology lab. Setlist was all I could've asked for. Sure, I would love to hear anything off of Opiate, or The Grudge, but with a show this incredible, there is no way I could be anything but completely satisfied.

Maynard mentioned that the new album had come out today (day of concert) and that everyone who hadn't gotten their tickets off of ebay or scalpers should buy it because he thought it was a pretty good album. And as mentioned above, he said he had downloaded it. Maynard is clearly aware of both the leak and the exorbitant prices for scalped tickets. After seeing what some people paid I feel very fortunate to have gotten mine directly from Ticketmaster (never thought I'd say that). I would easily have paid the scalpers demands though as the show was well worth it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 07:45 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

What an amazing show!! It was my first. Even from the third mezzanine, it was still amazing. Seeing Maynard stomp around on the stage at the beginning was wicked. Danny's drumming was absolutely flawless. I also really enjoyed Maynard's humor, and he really did an amazing vocal performance. Justin was amazing too. It seemed as if Adam was having a few difficulties, but nontheless he rocked socks as well. The only complaint I had is that the set seemed a little short, and wish they had played The Grudge, but it doesn't even matter, because I finally got to see them, and that's what counts. It was also really cool to see all four of them get together at the end and really thank the crowd. They obviously really appreciate our support.

Last edited by jameson425; 05-03-2006 at 09:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Ok well this was my first Tool show ive been waiting 5 years to see them ... finally got tickets lol ... i was amazed by the set list ... there presents is of like no other.... best show i have ever seen in my life... i loved when they renamed the song " tools abunch of cocksuckers" yes maynard u are hallairious .... i was kinda dissapointed in the background... it was cool playin the videos but whatever I GOT TO SEE ME FAV BAND PLAY LIVE AND THEY ROCKED MY SOCKS OFF..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100

Maynard mentioned that the new album had come out today (day of concert) and that everyone who hadn't gotten their tickets off of ebay or scalpers should buy it because he thought it was a pretty good album.

I remember him saying if you "Had" gotten them from scalpers, you should go and buy the album... in regards to downlaoding
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

WOW! THATs sums up alot of the show, This was my 5th TOOL show, and this band keeps getting better and better each time I see them. I was hoping for one of these three songs, Rosetta Stoned, 10k Days, or Right in Two. Right off the start I got my wish with Rosetta Stoned and being to say i witnessed that song for the first time live is an undescribable expression to me. Very kool to have the stage crew put a stool up for adam to sit down and just before he was about to go into his lil solo guitar part you could see the expression on his face like, ok here i go, i hope i dont screw this up too bad.........he didnt screw it up, it was done flawlessly...simply AWESOME..... TOOL has been my favorite band since I first witnessed Maynard come out and say, "This is not the church of Jesus, This is not the Church of Christ, THIS IS THE CHURCH OF JESUS F*CKIN CHRIST!"... And then witnessing the band in concert in 98' on the Aenima tour was something I will never forget back on August 23rd of 98.... The band has definatly changed since then, they have grown into evolution that i dont think ANY other band now these days will ever reproduce this kind of act, bottom line.

After Rosseta Stoned sent shivers up my spine and made my hair stand on end, I knew Stinkfist was next, And was EXPLOSIVE as hell, Durring the part "I'll...Keep...Diggin...."
Maynard was electrifying the building and the band was more in sink with each other then I can put into words right now...

46 & 2 ... was so awesome, back in the aenima tours this is when maynard would always strip down and reveal the Bra... Now those days have been past and are only in memories and bootlegs... I enjoyed this throughly, I hadnt heard it in quite some time but the drum solo is so incredible, before you can even take in and hear the beats danny is performing he has already hit three more other notes, simply un-human like.

The Pot and Jambi were very kool to hear live for the first time, I really wanted to hear more of the new stuff but i new they hadnt put much visuals together for it so that time was just goin to have to wait... (I must be PaTiEnT...hehe)...Anyways the visuals for Jambi were awesome as hell, the woman like figure with a symbol on her head was bad ass... Everyone has already mentioned the talkbox, so i wont go there....

Schism, The Patient, and Lateralus I have seen live before and schism was very kool with the video of course, they changed the visuals on The Patient and I think in a way have Mastered this song more then they did when it was recorded and played on last tours.... Very kool, I would love to get a copy of a bootleg of some sorts of this show like i obtained back in 98 when i got the aenima tour show i attended on VHS, if anyone was brave enough, please let me know, i am a die hard fan that would become a toolcocksucker for this album...

Maynard called the ebay buyers toolcocksuckers, then introduced jambi as "This song is called toolcocksuckers" It thought it fit PERFECT with all the ebay profit people had made off of TOOL....

I was first in line at a ticketmaster outlet the day they went on sale, and i didnt get SHIT!!!!! but luckily i have friends that were smart enough to have everyone they know on the computer at one time and luckily he was able to score tickets, i also have the nicest friends girlfriend for willing to give up her ticket to give me to cuz she knows what this band and these concerts mean to me, in a way, TOOL is my religon, they are what drives to get out of bed in the morning, to get on the internet and find out the latest setlist, shit like that, no band will ever replace this love, desire, fuckin passion...

Lateralus was also a song that i thought they had mastered since the last tour, very very kool visuals that were redone, once the flaming eye was put on the screen before the start of the guitar part i knew what was about to bless my ears... Someone said it earlier, when danny Hit that big GONG type whatever the hell it is behind him, it shook the paramount, and sent my heart racing like no drug on the streets can produce for me... SPIRAL OUT!

Vicarious was very very kool, definatly one of the favorites for me on the ending part of the show, when he sang that last part ("Vicariously I live while the whole world dies").... It reminded me of when he says "I must persuade you another waaayyyy!"... in pushit, i mean it was a part that you just want to listen to over and over and you know NOTHING will ever make you sick of it....This song really made me truely realize how hard there new stuff is to play, they have brought themselves with this music to a new level that is so incredible and they continue to push and push themselves to be better and thats what this song is about for me, you could tell in some of the parts danny isnt doin his normal thing, and when that song was over you could feel a sigh of relief from danny, justin, and adam, like dam that shit is hard to play, and you thought for sure they were goin to take a breath for a sec, but maynard could tell what was goin on so he immediatly busted into "hey hey hey hey"

Aenima was very kool, I was trying to hard to listen to the changed lyrices of the fuk L Ron Hubbard part but i was too wrapped up in the moment, this by far for me was THE FUCKIN best TOOL show i had ever witnessed, they just keep getting better and better pushing themselves with the art of music, becoming one, Until next time, good luck in europe and see you really really soon!

Jason
West Seattle
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

This was my "cherry popper" show. The first time I've seen Tool live and in the flesh. Definatly wasn't disappointed but I DEFINATLY could have stayed and rocked all night with em!! MINDBLOWING experience.

I rushed in thinking we were late for the show but lucky for us the band was either planning ahead or running late as well heheh. So we rushed in the door and after feeling this big relief of "omg I made it" I sat down and enjoyed the beauty of the paramount. I think someone else spoke on this as well but really... what a nice place to be in. We sat right under this big dome type thing all gold and just damned pretty! sitting there watching everyone and just absorbing what was going on around me and in me was ... just amazing to witness. so many mixed emotions just sitting there waiting. The whole experience for me was sort of sexual in a way. Waiting there was like your first akward experience with a condom. Is this how you do it? Is that ok? Gosh I hope I don't get this wrong. And then in a rush everything is just turns to this flood of emotional magic rushing over and through you and when it's over you just want to do it again!!

As soon as they guys came on stage I was up and out of my seat and I don't think I even stopped to catch my breath for the rest of the show! Just a beautiful experience. What a perfect night!!

For me the thing the single event that sticks out... there's 2 of em actually ... when maynard had his cowboy hat on there was this wierd green reflection it made him look like the typical oval headed green eyed alien. Maybe I was REALLY intoxicated but still... I thought it was a cool effect. number 2. was when the show was over and we all gave up on the idea of an encore and made our way back outdoors we all just sorta stood in the street looking back up at the big Paramount sign that said TOOL on it, almost in awe of the experience. A cop in his patrol car came up the street on his shmegaphone "k guys I need you all to please get off the street" It was a cute moment I thought.

Amazing, 5 stars!!! and I can't wait for the arena tour!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

rosetta stoned was the last song i thought they would play last night. i was totaly blown away after that song. i would have paid the 66 bucks just for that song alone. the new material mixed very well with the old stuff.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #33

I liked the scream near the end of Rosetta Stoned. That sounds awesome live.

Pretty good show overall, was too short though :(. Set list seems to be expanding, I'm going to cry if they end up playing 10,000 Days somewhere during the warmup tour.

This was my 2nd Tool concert, and i'd have to rate it second best only because of the length of the show. Although it was by no means a horrible concert.

Introducing Jambi as "Tooll Cocksuckers" was pretty funny.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #34

Bincount™: 1

adams new effect on stinkfist is great!
it sounds like he said "elbows deep in muddy waters.." at the end on the pot.
also, on "might as well be gone" on jambi, someone is singing backup..

Last edited by harbong; 05-03-2006 at 09:50 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbong
adams new effect on stinkfist is great!
it sounds like he said "elbows deep in muddy waters.." at the end on the pot.
also, on "might as well be gone" on jambi, someone is singing backup..
maynard is. he's got a delay or something it's trippy
Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #36
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabol4
I liked the scream near the end of Rosetta Stoned. That sounds awesome live.

Pretty good show overall, was too short though :(. Set list seems to be expanding, I'm going to cry if they end up playing 10,000 Days somewhere during the warmup tour.

This was my 2nd Tool concert, and i'd have to rate it second best only because of the length of the show. Although it was by no means a horrible concert.

Introducing Jambi as "Tooll Cocksuckers" was pretty funny.
How were your seats? Where you able to see with everyone standing?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitronic
How were your seats? Where you able to see with everyone standing?

Well, everyone standing woulkd have gotten head in my way yeah, but i decided to climb on top of one of the seats , some guy beside me helped me up.... i went back down every now and then cause i got tired, but when i was standing up on the seat, my view was fucking amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

here are a couple pics (front and back) of both t-shirts I got. they had 3 black 1 white and a grey-ish/off-white long sleeve shirt, then a black girls t-shirt as shown. They had 2-3 baseball caps, 2-3 beanies, a pair of black panites with tool logo, and a couple other things I think.

But I got one of the three black t-shirts:

http://www.p2adan.com/images/t2.jpg
http://www.p2adan.com/images/t1.jpg

And the girl Tee:

http://www.p2adan.com/images/t3.jpg
http://www.p2adan.com/images/t4.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

It was a good show. It was my first time hearing a lot of the songs, so I wasn't sure what the setlist was while the show was happening. But I found it quite fun hearing those songs for the 1st time live.
Visually, it was a pleasant sight with minimal lighting and four screens behind the band. Maynard was shirtless w/ blue jeans, belt/buckle, and cowboy boots. No shirt and a mohawk similar to the one in the liner notes of 10,000 days.
This was my second time seeing Tool at the Paramount. The first time was with King Crimson on August 6th 2001. I must admit enjoyed that show a little bit more, even though my seats at that time were way up the Mezzanine. This time I was on the floor, near the mixing board. The view and sound was very good at that spot. I guess the main reason I liked the show before more was the fact they had an opening act, and Tool played an encore. So I really felt that I had a lot to see. This time, it was almost like seeing the world’s most beautiful diamond… but long enough to only begin to really take in all the beauty.
Either way, it’s a lot better than at the Tacoma Dome, simply because the acoustics and all seating.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Maynard was mildly vocal, I've definitely been at shows where he talks a lot less. he spoke a little bit and went something like this.

"For all you people who bought tickets off ebay or scalpers, good luck paying your loans off, You should go out and buy the new album, its good, I already downloaded it. Tools are cocksuckers. This next song is called tools are cocksuckers" - then they went into schism.

between songs again he mentioned something about being in seattle. he said it was "ground zero" then paused "for microsoft and starbucks" and it got too loud from Boo's to hear him at that point. he also said something along the lines of it being intimidating to play in seattle for some reason. maybe first album show, first time playing rosetta, but we up here in seattle love music, so they must like to play up here and kick off a good tour where people appreciate their music and react to it, and aren't just at the show to get drunk and start fights.

To me it seemed like they were kind of nervous/stiff but I'm sure that they will all be on the same page once the fall tour comes around. I like to think that the band members appreciate the feedback they get from us up in seattle, as to what songs get the best reaction. It was a great show none-the-less, 90-100 min of a pure TOOL experience. I didn't mind that there was no opener, but it did make it seem like a short night. But when do they ever play for that long and not stop. That is not a usual setlist length and was awesome to be there and witness all those great songs played one after another. Time to wait and for them to come back around (full circle) and be back playing in the US for their big concert circuit. It is going to be great!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: