Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
B C L
04-22-2006, 06:40 PM

This is just a thought, but with everyone saying how somehow the flow of the songs isn't quite right on 10,000 Days (having Wings/10,000 Days as the 3rd song for instance) I'm wondering if this could happen:

- On May 2nd, we all go out and buy 10,000 Days with the same tracks as in the leak.

- But,.....a sticker on the disc gives a date (hopefully sometime in the near future) of when the entire double album will be released. This could possibly be a re-tracked double album too.

I know that Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" (came out in '02) was originally released with about 13 songs on one disc even though Cantrell had recorded about 13 additional songs for this project. This trimmed-down version was basically because the record company didn't think a double-album would work. But then, later on, Cantrell released the double-album and it wasn't just the 13 extra tracks on a new disc - it was all 26 tracks re-tracked in the original order he wanted them.......

Can you fucking imagine if Tool had 6 or 7 additional "proper songs" that would be mixed in with the existing ones? (I think I'm setting myself up for dissapointment, but this would seem to be an easy way to fool everyone. This way, the leaked 10,000 days is the same as the May 2nd version but the double album coming sometime later could still be a secret to most)

Thoughts?.......
Old 04-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 3
Is Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" a hint of what could happen with 10,000 Days?

This is just a thought, but with everyone saying how somehow the flow of the songs isn't quite right on 10,000 Days (having Wings/10,000 Days as the 3rd song for instance) I'm wondering if this could happen:

- On May 2nd, we all go out and buy 10,000 Days with the same tracks as in the leak.

- But,.....a sticker on the disc gives a date (hopefully sometime in the near future) of when the entire double album will be released. This could possibly be a re-tracked double album too.

I know that Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" (came out in '02) was originally released with about 13 songs on one disc even though Cantrell had recorded about 13 additional songs for this project. This trimmed-down version was basically because the record company didn't think a double-album would work. But then, later on, Cantrell released the double-album and it wasn't just the 13 extra tracks on a new disc - it was all 26 tracks re-tracked in the original order he wanted them.......

Can you fucking imagine if Tool had 6 or 7 additional "proper songs" that would be mixed in with the existing ones? (I think I'm setting myself up for dissapointment, but this would seem to be an easy way to fool everyone. This way, the leaked 10,000 days is the same as the May 2nd version but the double album coming sometime later could still be a secret to most)

Thoughts?.......
OFFLINE |  
Mark D's Avatar Mark D
04-22-2006, 06:42 PM

I was thinking something like that, but I guess it probably would have leaked too by now. After listening to 10,000 Days a lot in the past week or so it does seem a little short to me.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
X

Bincount™: 746
Re: Is Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" a hint of what could happen with 10,000 Days?

I was thinking something like that, but I guess it probably would have leaked too by now. After listening to 10,000 Days a lot in the past week or so it does seem a little short to me.
OFFLINE |  
B C L
04-22-2006, 06:52 PM

But what if the double-album follow-up release wasn't going to released in say, 6 months? Then it wouldn't have leaked yet.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Is Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" a hint of what could happen with 10,000 Days?

But what if the double-album follow-up release wasn't going to released in say, 6 months? Then it wouldn't have leaked yet.
OFFLINE |  
VillageIdiot
04-22-2006, 06:52 PM

You mean another release with the same shit on it, but with extras?

Well that would be lame... no one likes double purchasing.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

You mean another release with the same shit on it, but with extras?

Well that would be lame... no one likes double purchasing.
04-22-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D
76 minutes?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673
Re: Is Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" a hint of what could happen with 10,000 Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D
76 minutes?
OFFLINE |  
bluefire's Avatar bluefire
04-22-2006, 06:56 PM

Tool is a helluva lot bigger than a jerry cantrell solo project. They would have no trouble pitching a double cd to their record company.

I really like that jerry cantrell cd, though.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
On Probation

Bincount™: 810

Tool is a helluva lot bigger than a jerry cantrell solo project. They would have no trouble pitching a double cd to their record company.

I really like that jerry cantrell cd, though.
OFFLINE |  
B C L
04-22-2006, 06:58 PM

I don't know about you (or anyone else) but if I found out on May 2nd that 10,000 Days was not just 80 minutes of music but actually 160 I'd shell out however much money they told me too and be happy as shit!

(I don't just mean extras by the way - I'm talking 80 additional minutes of the same quality music as Right in Two, Vicarious, 10,000 Days, Rosetta Stoned, The Pot, Jambi, etc)

(I've only heard Vicarious so far but based on how great that song is (I swear it's up there with Eulogy which is one of my 4 favorite Tool songs) and based on what I've read, another 6 or 7 songs of equal quality would make this hands-down the greatest album in rock and roll history - For that I'd pay alot of money)

(And maybe they could somehow charge a single disc price for 2 cd's?)
Old 04-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

I don't know about you (or anyone else) but if I found out on May 2nd that 10,000 Days was not just 80 minutes of music but actually 160 I'd shell out however much money they told me too and be happy as shit!

(I don't just mean extras by the way - I'm talking 80 additional minutes of the same quality music as Right in Two, Vicarious, 10,000 Days, Rosetta Stoned, The Pot, Jambi, etc)

(I've only heard Vicarious so far but based on how great that song is (I swear it's up there with Eulogy which is one of my 4 favorite Tool songs) and based on what I've read, another 6 or 7 songs of equal quality would make this hands-down the greatest album in rock and roll history - For that I'd pay alot of money)

(And maybe they could somehow charge a single disc price for 2 cd's?)
OFFLINE |  
Cronos's Avatar Cronos
04-22-2006, 07:17 PM

I'm thinking that the double cd is a hoax, and that there is no such thing.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507

I'm thinking that the double cd is a hoax, and that there is no such thing.
OFFLINE |  
B C L
04-22-2006, 07:29 PM

I honestly think that if Tool was going to fool us that doing this would make more sense than the leaked songs not being part of the project (those being part of a fake album). The joke would almost be on Tool in that case because of all the time spent on those "fake" tracks. It's my opinion that if there is additional material that it would be a part of the leaked tracks somehow.

Another question I have - if the 11-track leaked album was all there is then why has no one like Kabir or someone else "official" come out and stopped all these rumors? It's to the point now that many people's hopes will be crushed - I would think that someone would want to put an end to this bullshit.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

I honestly think that if Tool was going to fool us that doing this would make more sense than the leaked songs not being part of the project (those being part of a fake album). The joke would almost be on Tool in that case because of all the time spent on those "fake" tracks. It's my opinion that if there is additional material that it would be a part of the leaked tracks somehow.

Another question I have - if the 11-track leaked album was all there is then why has no one like Kabir or someone else "official" come out and stopped all these rumors? It's to the point now that many people's hopes will be crushed - I would think that someone would want to put an end to this bullshit.
OFFLINE |  
Cronos's Avatar Cronos
04-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Maybe Tool just decided that continuity and a theme to tie it all in is for suckers? All I know is the album we're hearing definately has its ups and you do enjoy certain tracks. I know I'm guilty of skipping around, but this is definately the kind of album that it's ok to do that with. Skip to Wings pt 1 and 2, or Intension/Right in Two, or Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. Skip The Pot entirely, ect.

HOORAY FOR TOOL! I gotta say, that I'm a little sad, I have to wait 5 years for more Tool, and I won't be as psyched for another release, but I'm starting to get used to the fact that this could be it. Legally, this isn't a decoy cd. Promotionally, this isn't B-Sides. The record label would shit themselves crazy if they found Tool was trying to release another album. Also, the price for 10,000 days is the price for a normal cd, not a double sided disc, dvd, or double album.

It's fun to dream, but I think what happened is that Maynard's mom died, he found Jesus, and also didn't want to write a bunch of bullshit that ties in.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #10

Maybe Tool just decided that continuity and a theme to tie it all in is for suckers? All I know is the album we're hearing definately has its ups and you do enjoy certain tracks. I know I'm guilty of skipping around, but this is definately the kind of album that it's ok to do that with. Skip to Wings pt 1 and 2, or Intension/Right in Two, or Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. Skip The Pot entirely, ect.

HOORAY FOR TOOL! I gotta say, that I'm a little sad, I have to wait 5 years for more Tool, and I won't be as psyched for another release, but I'm starting to get used to the fact that this could be it. Legally, this isn't a decoy cd. Promotionally, this isn't B-Sides. The record label would shit themselves crazy if they found Tool was trying to release another album. Also, the price for 10,000 days is the price for a normal cd, not a double sided disc, dvd, or double album.

It's fun to dream, but I think what happened is that Maynard's mom died, he found Jesus, and also didn't want to write a bunch of bullshit that ties in.
OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-22-2006, 07:43 PM

Or that they wanted to get back to the Undertow vibe. Thats what I was gathering from everything I've read about it. Not the heaviness but they wanted to "rock".

But when everyone goes to buy it on May 2nd we'll all see.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Or that they wanted to get back to the Undertow vibe. Thats what I was gathering from everything I've read about it. Not the heaviness but they wanted to "rock".

But when everyone goes to buy it on May 2nd we'll all see.
OFFLINE |  
Cronos's Avatar Cronos
04-22-2006, 07:46 PM

I didn't really expect them to go even farther than Lateralus. When you go in depth into spirituality, and conceptual based albums, how much farther can you take that? They said they wanted to rock with their cocks out on this one.

The real hoax is blair who got a lot of people thinking this is just their toss aways.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #12

I didn't really expect them to go even farther than Lateralus. When you go in depth into spirituality, and conceptual based albums, how much farther can you take that? They said they wanted to rock with their cocks out on this one.

The real hoax is blair who got a lot of people thinking this is just their toss aways.
OFFLINE |  
acid_intelligence
04-22-2006, 07:52 PM

The only song that I have listened to off 10,000 Days is Vicarious.

I do this because if i don't listen to the leaked album now before it comes out, then I won't have to worry about being disappointed when the "hoax" album turns out to be the real one.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

The only song that I have listened to off 10,000 Days is Vicarious.

I do this because if i don't listen to the leaked album now before it comes out, then I won't have to worry about being disappointed when the "hoax" album turns out to be the real one.
OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-22-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
Yup

I'm liking whats been leaked and I actually dig that some of it sounds like older stuff. Mainly because I think this will only make the live shows better.

Which is funny because I've read a few tidbits here and there in interviews talking about how they're excited about how the new material will be played live.

As for the double album idea I can only think of one double album that wasn't a live album that was great and that is "The Wall" every other double album has been chock full of filler. But even "The Wall" wasn't all that long and could probably be put onto one cd.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Is Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" a hint of what could happen with 10,000 Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
Yup

I'm liking whats been leaked and I actually dig that some of it sounds like older stuff. Mainly because I think this will only make the live shows better.

Which is funny because I've read a few tidbits here and there in interviews talking about how they're excited about how the new material will be played live.

As for the double album idea I can only think of one double album that wasn't a live album that was great and that is "The Wall" every other double album has been chock full of filler. But even "The Wall" wasn't all that long and could probably be put onto one cd.
OFFLINE |  
bonch
04-22-2006, 09:55 PM

The leak is the album. You're hearing the new Tool album, 10000 Days. People need to accept this before they get really disappointed on May 2nd.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #15
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

The leak is the album. You're hearing the new Tool album, 10000 Days. People need to accept this before they get really disappointed on May 2nd.
OFFLINE |  
B C L
04-23-2006, 03:59 AM

JuanJay - Have you heard Nine Inch Nail's "The Fragile?" What about the Rolling Stone's "Exile on Main St.?" Or Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" or the Beatle's "White Album?" Most probably haven't heard Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" but this is a great album too. (70's Genesis led by Peter Gabriel is the complete opposite of 80's Genesis led by Phil Collins by the way) Admittedly, all of these have a couple of filler tracks but all in all these 4 discs should be on everyone's top 20 all-time albums list - especially The Fragile - to me, that's right there with Aenima as the 2 best albums in rock history.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:59 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

JuanJay - Have you heard Nine Inch Nail's "The Fragile?" What about the Rolling Stone's "Exile on Main St.?" Or Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" or the Beatle's "White Album?" Most probably haven't heard Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" but this is a great album too. (70's Genesis led by Peter Gabriel is the complete opposite of 80's Genesis led by Phil Collins by the way) Admittedly, all of these have a couple of filler tracks but all in all these 4 discs should be on everyone's top 20 all-time albums list - especially The Fragile - to me, that's right there with Aenima as the 2 best albums in rock history.
OFFLINE |  
perhan
04-23-2006, 06:35 AM

ouuu yeah...the fragile...yummy....its in my top 10 of all time definitely...
Old 04-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

ouuu yeah...the fragile...yummy....its in my top 10 of all time definitely...
OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-23-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C L
I have all of those albums with the exception of the The Fragile, Stones and Zep, the others had filler on there in my opinion. Not a Beatles fan so I don't like the White Album all too much. I do however love most of Harrison's solo stuff.

I do agree on the Genesis statement.

But the thing with most double albums, is it you cut the fat and made one killer disc it would be a great album and not just a good one.

I will admit though that sometimes some album that you weren't feeling the filler on, when you listen to it months even years later sometimes you get what you didn't the first time and then its not filler anymore..
Old 04-23-2006, 07:43 AM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C L
I have all of those albums with the exception of the The Fragile, Stones and Zep, the others had filler on there in my opinion. Not a Beatles fan so I don't like the White Album all too much. I do however love most of Harrison's solo stuff.

I do agree on the Genesis statement.

But the thing with most double albums, is it you cut the fat and made one killer disc it would be a great album and not just a good one.

I will admit though that sometimes some album that you weren't feeling the filler on, when you listen to it months even years later sometimes you get what you didn't the first time and then its not filler anymore..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply