opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 04-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 118
Bincount™: 5
This is a B-side - let's discuss it

More evidence to add to the case that the leak was a leak of b-sides and outtakes.

I posted in the 10,000 days section that I thought that song was a b-side with a discussion of why. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned are b-sides too, and here is why:

This track was meant to be a hidden/bonus track, because it's a joke. The only real question is did it come from Aenima or Lateralus? There are logical reasons for thinking either is correct, but I'm leaning toward Lateralus right now.

Opiate has a hidden/bonus track; Undertow has a hidden/bonus track; Salival has a hidden/bonus track; and I'd consider Faaip De Oaid in the same vein. Only Aenima is missing a similar track, which is the only reason I think this song could be a hidden track cut from that album. But I think there are better reasons to think it was cut from Lateralus - I'll get into that later.

If you don't believe Lost Keys is a joke, then you have never heard this joke: http://moncom.net/moncomjokesmsgs.asp?topictoview=4 (I heard a different version of the same joke, but in essence they are the same). You really should know this joke, it's referenced in movies and books all over the place... as it's reference here. Doesn't the begining of the song make you feel like you are travelling down a tunnel? That's what I thought the first time I heard it.

The lyrical content of Rosetta Stoned is fucking hilarious. The lines where the ET tells the main character that he is the chosen one, and the kid replies, "and I didn't even graduate from fuckin high school." had me rolling. That is funny shit - then he forgets his pen and shits the bed. This is all funny shit, and it's in exacly the same vein as the hidden tracks on the other albums.

The lyrics in a typical Tool album are deep and thoughtful. The only time the lyrics get kinda-cool-kinda-funny is when they show up in hidden tracks. It makes no sense that these songs would show up right in the middle of the album. They were definatly written to be hidden/bonus material.

So why didn't Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned show up on an album? Lost Keys with Rosetta Stoned are pretty long - a total of 14 minutes together. They were prime for cutting, especially since they are meant to be a hidden/bonus material, and there wasn't 14 minutes of free space on Lateralus. Danny mentioned in an interview that they had plenty of material left over from Lateralus to make another album - here ya go.

Reasons to believe it's from Lateralus: Rosetta Stoned is in the same vein as Faaip De Oaid - both about Area 51, and both difficult to understand. Also listen to Rosetta Stoned - at 1:11 you get some guitar that is right out of Reflection. This song was probably cut because it was too long, and then Tool added Faaip De Oaid, probably, to appease Danny who, probably, really wanted some Area 51 shit like this on the album (he is kind of a UFO nut job).

The holes in my argument: obviously there are a lot of you who feel what was leaked to us on the internet is the real album. You are all foolishly ignoring a large mass of evidence that suggest otherwise - so this is only a minor hole (I don't consider it a hole at all). The major hole is that Aenima doesn't have a hidden/bonus track. This suggests that perhaps Rosetta Stoned came from that album. I really don't think it did though. There probably just wasn't enough space on Aenima to fit a hidden/bonus track. So they never wrote one (or maybe Right in Two is Aenima's bonus track, a song that strikes me a slightly bonus'ish. I haven't given that theory much thought yet - perhaps you should?!).

Last edited by tollll12; 04-22-2006 at 04:41 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
stardown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UT ;)
Posts: 73
Bincount™: 3
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Ah. Dammit. You live in Utah too. (hides in the shadows)
__________________
maybe anorexic people are just fasting?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 118
Bincount™: 5
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Tool fans in Utah *HAVE* to stick together dude.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: noitacoL.......... Knows: All
Posts: 110
Bincount™: 1
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

i'm not ignoring anything....


i'm waiting til may 2nd and then i'll see which side is right.
__________________
Knowledge Is Power
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 232
Bincount™: 3
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

I think that this is bordering on mass hysteria. Are you people serious?

Four words that nullify your argument completely: Hooker With A Penis.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
disaxiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 238
Bincount™: 6
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

omg you people really are insane... how can you actually believe this shit this board is a total gongshow
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 118
Bincount™: 5
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Hooker with a Penis, aside from the title, is a serious song. Tool probably faced a lot of criticism for moving from the bar/local scene to a larger market. A lot of people, friends and aquantances, probably started referring to them as sell-outs so they wrote a song in defense. The title is funny but apt, however the lyrics aren't funny at all. There is nothing like "after some orange slices and male spooning to calm me down he revealed to me his true purpose." or "but I forgot my pen, shit the bed again, typical."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
disaxiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 238
Bincount™: 6
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

maybe you don't get the lyrics, ever thought of that?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
On Probation
 
Jesus Knievel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: STL
Posts: 602
Bincount™: 1733
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

why would they play vicarious on the radio if it wasnt the real deal?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Hman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 66
Bincount™: 5
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

How are Rosetta Stoned (or any song on the album) lyrics funny?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 116
Bincount™: 2
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Knievel
why would they play vicarious on the radio if it wasnt the real deal?
Hush, you're breaking their hegemony. "ITS A LEAK OF B-SIDES LOL"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 118
Bincount™: 5
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman
How are Rosetta Stoned (or any song on the album) lyrics funny?
you don't think that "after some orange slices and male spooning to calm me down, he revealed to me his real purpose" is funny? I guess we have different senses of humor.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 118
Bincount™: 5
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Knievel
why would they play vicarious on the radio if it wasnt the real deal?
Well, all of the songs are new to our ears, so any of them could be played on the radio. I'd imagine that you haven't read the speculation suggesting that a double disc will be released with the leaked stuff on one disc and the new stuff on another. However, I do believe that Vicarious is a product of the latest recording session because of the alarm sounding noise Danny makes in the song, which was obviously created by his Mandala drum that he did not have on the previous albums... if you want me to speculate... which I am only doing now because I've had a few drinks tonight... If this album ends up being a double disc release (which sounds most likely to me), it is entirely possible that their latest recording session ended up having some left over tracks (like we know Lateralus did) and Vicarious could be one of them. That would make Vicarious a b-side, which is why it's appearing with the collection of b-sides. Obviously I have absoluately no evidence to back myself up on this - it's just speculation.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 118
Bincount™: 5
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaxiom
maybe you don't get the lyrics, ever thought of that?
This is possible. I am limited by my own intelligence. If you have another enlightening interpretation, I'd love to hear it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: dallas
Posts: 82
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

haha, this is the real album. get used to it
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:51 AM   #16
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: new zealand
Posts: 9
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

i highly doubted this b-side story but the more i hear about the more i believe
on aprill the 17th (mjk's birthday) he loged into tool speak and was asked what he thought of vicarious been leaked and the possibilty of the album his reply was i dont care which points to its only b-side material the album art only shows maynard toasting his wine which is un tool as the only other album that actually had pictures of the members of tool in was undertow and with maynards belief that the band is equal cant see him been the only one in the album art also they could get away with airing vicarious if it is a double cd album with the b-sides included but on my local station since the airing of vicarious i have heard them play jambi and the pot which points more so to a fake/b-sides i have also been told by other people i talk to on the net that they have also heard jambi on the radio and also where is the video of vicarious ?
normally when the single is released the video is released at the same time or soon after hell i saw the scism video before i heard the song on radio

Last edited by primeraz; 04-23-2006 at 03:53 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chaos
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

I have read that they have leaked a lot of fake stuff, but this would be a pretty signifigant hoax... I would love for it to be the truth.....A double album......That would blow my fucking mind.
I'm sure they would not be able to keep a lid on it being a double album...Do you know how many people are involved in the production of an album? Me neither, but I'm sure it's a lot. Think of the studio personel, think of the staff at the cd production shops, artwork printers, cd case manufacturers, packaging assembly lines....All those people involved...I'm sure we'd hear about it.....
If they are b sides here is my guess where they might have come from..

When I heared Vicarious I thought it belonged on Lateralus
Jambi has a definite Aenema feel
I'm sorry but Wins 1 and two stand alone...unprecedented
The Pot might be from Undertow or Aenema......But I don't know
Lipan Conjuring from Undertow Leadin into the Native Flutes in crawl away
I can see Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned coming in after Faaip De Oaid on lateralus
Eon Blue Apocolypse is obviously a big part in the beginning of Intension
Right in two.....I'm Guessing Aenema.. Not because i have solid evidence or even soft evidence for that mater, but because of the album artwork. The Angels. Also Adam's riffs have some of the characteristics of Aenema.
Viginti Tres has a lot in common with - ions, Maybe they wrapped around Third Eye.

All songs, if fake have obviously been remixed, and possibly re-recorded. Fresh vocals on every track that has vocals.......

Imagine if there were more...A whole other disk..........

Sorry I gotta go run to the bathroom and be alone for a minute......MMMMmm More TOOL
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Dionysus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Franklin, PA
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 1
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeraz
...the album art only shows maynard toasting his wine which is un tool as the only other album that actually had pictures of the members of tool in was undertow and with maynards belief that the band is equal cant see him been the only one in the album art...
Technically, there have been pictures of every band member in every release (including Salival) with the exception of Lateralus.

Furthermore, there have been more stereo-optic pictures from the album art leaked to the internet this week showing the other members of the band, not just Maynardo.

And lastly, you’re the new poster child for run-on sentences. Congratulations!
__________________
No Pity For The Majority

Last edited by Dionysus74; 04-23-2006 at 07:51 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: third sometimes fourth dimension
Posts: 315
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

i feel sorry for you guys who expect tool-lyrics to be "deep" and "thoughtful" because this song i a joke about guys like you who expect something extra-ordinary from normal-people...
btw: why doesn`t anyone try to listen to the album WITHOUT all the references to other albums??? a song is a song is a song is a song....a good song is a good song a bad song is a bad song....leaked material: good songs...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chaos
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Guys like who. We aren't talking about lyrics. And I'm not sure but I don't think TOOL has ever done anything without being deep and thoughtful. You are probably one of those who thought die eier von satan was a joke as well. Saying it's just a cookie recipe. Well it's notIt's a snapshot photo of yourself. The first time you heared it did you think of cookies? NO You thought of Hitler. Why? Because we are programmed to fear differences, programmed to hate differences. No joke here. Just a thread about the possibility of there being more goodness and love than expected in the next album......

I think the lyric thread, and the "deep thinker" thread is someplace else.......
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
PmF
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: poland
Posts: 17
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

I feel sorry for people posting shit about that 10k days leak is decoy, hoax and fake.
Just wait.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: new zealand
Posts: 9
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus74
Technically, there have been pictures of every band member in every release (including Salival) with the exception of Lateralus.

Furthermore, there have been more stereo-optic pictures from the album art leaked to the internet this week showing the other members of the band, not just Maynardo.

And lastly, you’re the new poster child for run-on sentences. Congratulations!
haha yea i didnt graduate from high school :( but hey do i get a medal for been the new poster child for run-on sentences ?

but any how

i think you need to go look at your cd inlays and you will find that opiate and AEnema and lateralus didnt have any pictures of the members, pays to check up on things and if your stupid enough to not realize that undertow(IS THE ONLY STUDIO ALBUM WITH PICTURES OF THE BAND!) no i dont include salival cause its a box set music videos/live album (NOTE not a studio album!) hope that clears it up for you !

also i doubt that there are new album art pic's floating around as you dont even know whats in the contents of the inlays of tools previous albums except for undertow

lol think you deserve the crown of the most noobish tool fan lol

Last edited by primeraz; 04-23-2006 at 08:59 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Yard Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm not sure.
Posts: 69
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeraz
i think you need to go look at your cd inlays and you will find that opiate and AEnema and lateralus didnt have any pictures of the members, pays to check up on things and if your stupid enough to not realize that undertow(IS THE ONLY STUDIO ALBUM WITH PICTURES OF THE BAND!)
So the picture of the band on the couch in Aenima isn't actually them? And go get your copy of Opiate and look at the big collage-like picture. OK see those 4 pictures of PEOPLE those are the band members! Granted they where younger in those pics but it is them none the less. Dumb fuck " pays to check up on things" as you so eloquently put it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Dionysus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Franklin, PA
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 1
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Man
So the picture of the band on the couch in Aenima isn't actually them? And go get your copy of Opiate and look at the big collage-like picture. OK see those 4 pictures of PEOPLE those are the band members! Granted they where younger in those pics but it is them none the less. Dumb fuck " pays to check up on things" as you so eloquently put it.
Thank you for setting that shitbag straight.

Now if someone could put up a link to the other stereo-optic pics with the other band members... I'll look around for them.
__________________
No Pity For The Majority
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Dionysus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Franklin, PA
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 1
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeraz
haha yea i didnt graduate from high school :( but hey do i get a medal for been the new poster child for run-on sentences ?

but any how

i think you need to go look at your cd inlays and you will find that opiate and AEnema and lateralus didnt have any pictures of the members, pays to check up on things and if your stupid enough to not realize that undertow(IS THE ONLY STUDIO ALBUM WITH PICTURES OF THE BAND!) no i dont include salival cause its a box set music videos/live album (NOTE not a studio album!) hope that clears it up for you !

also i doubt that there are new album art pic's floating around as you dont even know whats in the contents of the inlays of tools previous albums except for undertow

lol think you deserve the crown of the most noobish tool fan lol
here's one of Adam and there's another one floating around of either Danny or Justin...
http://theninhotline.net/toolnews/ar...packaging2.jpg

here it is...
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/8826/tool56sb.jpg

oh, and if you would have read what I wrote originally I said Laturalus didn't have a picture of the band. So maybe you should check your facts noob. Was it really that hard to understand the few sentences I wrote? God damn, stupid fucking noobs, try to help them out and they turn into the biggest pricks.
__________________
No Pity For The Majority

Last edited by Dionysus74; 04-23-2006 at 10:32 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: new zealand
Posts: 9
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus74
Technically, there have been pictures of every band member in every release (including Salival) with the exception of Lateralus.

Furthermore, there have been more stereo-optic pictures from the album art leaked to the internet this week showing the other members of the band, not just Maynardo.

And lastly, you’re the new poster child for run-on sentences. Congratulations!
LOOK ABOVE READ WHAT YOU SAID PICTURES OF BAND MEMBERS IN EVERY RELEASE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF LATERALUS bloody hell lose the plot at me and say i cant comprehend a sentence written by a twat bloody hell get over yaself

as for opiate i never noticed them there till now as for AEnema i still dont see pictures of the band members just a picture of bill hicks and a load of eyes and couple of babes with wings and then a whole load of mock album covers
so id like to know where tool is suppose to be in AEnema

Last edited by primeraz; 04-23-2006 at 10:49 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Dionysus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Franklin, PA
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 1
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeraz
LOOK ABOVE READ WHAT YOU SAID PICTURES OF BAND MEMBERS IN EVERY RELEASE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF LATERALUS bloody hell lose the plot at me and say i cant comprehend a sentence written by a twat bloody hell get over yaself

as for opiate i never noticed them there till now as for AEnema i still dont see pictures of the band members just a picture of bill hicks and a load of eyes and couple of babes with wings and then a whole load of mock album covers
so id like to know where tool is suppose to be in AEnema
As far as AEnema goes, there where many different versions of the album artwork released. The most common CD artwork includes a hologram image of a female contortionist apparently going down on herself while in the background the entire band is sitting on a couch watching her.

Maybe someone else can explain this better? Or post a link to the image. Most Tool fans I'm sure are familiar with this.

So, in the end I was right, and you were wrong. Why? Because you don't check facts.

In addition, from your last post you seem to think I'm attacking you? Not sure about that, but then, with such horrible grammer and spelling I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say. "bloody hell lose the plot at me", what exactly does that mean? Without proper punctuation it's hard to say.

At any rate, I began by correcting you and yes, I made a harmless comment about you're run-on sentences. You then lashed out at me with insults ("noob" and "check my facts"). You know, I could have started off attacking your spelling, grammer, punctuation, and overall grasp of the English language. I could have called you a Tool noob and an idiot for knowing next to nothing about the album artwork. What I should have done was said nothing, and let you continue to make a fool of yourself by making comments which would point out what a "noob" to Tool you are.

And to everyone else, who came here expecting something on-topic, I'm sorry, but what can I say? Try to help out a noob and this is what happens.
__________________
No Pity For The Majority

Last edited by Dionysus74; 04-23-2006 at 11:26 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Pro Starcrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Why is this required?
Posts: 739
Bincount™: 17
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Damn tool noobs ruin it for the rest of us :(

And tollll12 you are either a genious or an idiot, we will know in about a week.

But personally I think you are the latter.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #29
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 171
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Your mother is a B-side.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chaos
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

B-side thing is really chewing up my Sunday
But I think that one way to tell is if we all hold our breath and pass out and wake up may 2nd and fucking find out.......Because I'll be as useful passed out for the next few weeks, as I will be walking around, working eating dreaming smoking...etc./.....I'll be doing it all wondering what is in store..........I think Tool would be less sloppy with security..
It would put them right up with paul is dead Hoax........It would Talked about forever....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
silencer51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Athens-Patras, Greece
Posts: 64
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

About the Aenima cover dispute:

The american version of Aenima is the one with the funky hologram images, including the one with the band on the couch.

The european version is much, much simpler, the front cover is non-animated and there's no big green eye on the back of the case. The band photo and "arizona bay" holograms are missing, too.

Oh, and the cd label is different too - in the american version we get the guy with his head between his legs, on the european one we get a black disc with the seal of Astaroth on it...
__________________
overthinker, overanalyzer
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #32
Banned.
 
JE Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: US
Posts: 643
Bincount™: 3972
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

I feel like this song would have been great right before the song Aenima, and two songs before Third Eye. The guy is talking about aliens telling him to communicate a message about the end of the world, and then in Aenima there is a talk about the end of the world and "Learn to swim" -- a message of hope for those who choose to hear, a warning for those who don't. I know it's crazy, but I honestly used to think Third Eye had something to do with alien abduction (with aliens coming back after being gone for a long time, and the blue light that people often reporting shining down on the abductee), and also that the end of the world scenario in Aenima was a lot like people report in alien abduction cases, so this song actually kind of freaks me out. And of course aliens were also mentioned at the end of Lateralus. I thought it was too much of a coincidence. If this song was originally meant for Aenima, I don't think it's really a joke -- I think it's making fun of something, kind of like you make fun of your own past mistakes, but I don't think it's a joke and I don't think it's meant to offend anyone.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Dionysus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Franklin, PA
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 1
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer51
About the Aenima cover dispute:

The american version of Aenima is the one with the funky hologram images, including the one with the band on the couch.

The european version is much, much simpler, the front cover is non-animated and there's no big green eye on the back of the case. The band photo and "arizona bay" holograms are missing, too.

Oh, and the cd label is different too - in the american version we get the guy with his head between his legs, on the european one we get a black disc with the seal of Astaroth on it...
Thank you.

Now if he would have just checked his facts, or better yet, the FAQ here at http://toolshed.down.net/ then we wouldn't even be here pointing out what a "noob" he is.

And by the way, the model in that picture is named Alana Cain. I always assumed it was a woman.
__________________
No Pity For The Majority

Last edited by Dionysus74; 04-23-2006 at 12:56 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #34
Level 10 - Vehement
 
Dolophane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,733
Bincount™: 95
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer51
Oh, and the cd label is different too - in the american version we get the guy with his head between his legs, on the european one we get a black disc with the seal of Astaroth on it...
Hey, that sounds neat. Got any pictures of that?
__________________
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chaos
Posts: 25
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Why would it be good before Aenema? Aenema is about LA's eventual destruction...Well...on the surface of course.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #36
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
ladiatia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 126
Bincount™: 2
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

No way it's a B-side, the song is awesome. You are right the lyrics are pretty weird. But we are talking about TOOL no Eric Clapton (Respect to the Man)

Salud!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #37
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 117
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollll12
you don't think that "after some orange slices and male spooning to calm me down, he revealed to me his real purpose" is funny? I guess we have different senses of humor.
You Utah boys are into male spooning, aren't you? That's what you mean by "Utah Tool fans sticking together," isn't it?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #38
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 15
Bincount™: 0
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Ok. So for all you people sitting around thinking that this is a bunch of b-sides. I just have a few things to say. First off, there is no reason for these to be b-sides. Sure some of the material here is perhaps to much for some to handle i.e. biblical references, the spiritual content, and the faith that is obviously inherent in the material. Perhaps the song Rosetta Stoned just bothers some people....why? It's a great song. The music is genius and the chaos is a perfect representation of a bad trip. If you've never had one then don't assume anything. So what if Maynard uses the phrase shit the bed....he also coined the phrase "Released in this Sodomy" in Prison Sex. Or have you all simply forgotten that. Furthermore why should these guys bust their ass double time to "hoax" a leaked album to a bunch of people that are simply going to argue and get angry about it. I mean really? We shouldn't even be listening to these songs right now, if we had any decency or respect for the band. You should count yourself lucky to be hearing new material, VALID OR NOT. The album will be out in a few days, and the answers will be staring you in the face. Should these songs be leaked b-sides, then I say "Hallejujah" and nothing more. The songs are top-notch. If this isn't the real album then it's unfortunate because I've already spoken with a few friends and decided this is probably my favorite peice of work from them since I first started following them in 96 (I say 96, because that is when I was first able to appreciate the music. I was 14 then). On a side note I had Placebo's Meds like a month before a release, the cd has the same material as my leaked copy. I also have a copy of the new Secret Machines album, which as far as I know, is not out yet. For my final point, all of this talk about b-sides, and double albums is a prime example of americans being spoiled on bigger better and faster. You people are dissapointing (and I don't mean all of you, unfortunately the people I'm speaking to probably won't even get it.) Just be happy with what you have. How about some love and compassion, since that's what this life should be about....now if you don't mind, I'm going to excuse myself, it's time for my orange slices....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #39
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 118
Bincount™: 5
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window Licker
You Utah boys are into male spooning, aren't you? That's what you mean by "Utah Tool fans sticking together," isn't it?
And orange slices. The stickiness helps us stick together
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Boozy Eulogist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 341
Bincount™: 52
Re: This is a B-side - let's discuss it

If they are b-sides, they were all engineered by Joe. If one thing is consistant, it's the Quality of Sound.

Then again I find these theories to be nothing more than amusing reads for when I am bored.
__________________
Six Degrees of Mike Patton
www.scadradio.org
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.