opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 04-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
On Probation
 
MentalSanityOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 325
Bincount™: 21
The Rosetta Stone

I get the feeling a lot of people here don't even know what the Rosetta Stone is, so I'll give a brief summary. It was found in 1799, and was an announcement written on a stone slab. It featured the same message written twice on the same slab in two different languages, one in Greek, one in Egyptian Heiroglyph. The fact that Greek is still spoken make the Rosetta Stone the key to translating Egyptian Heiroglyphics, and is the cornerstone that allowed for all modern translations of Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics. Without the Rosetta Stone, we would have next to no information about Ancient Egypt at all.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
T-13h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,539
Bincount™: 911
Re: The Rosetta Stone

^True.

It was discovered by the French army, btw.
__________________
The word of the Law is θέλημα
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 73
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Don't be patronising, I imagine most people do know what the Rosetta Stone is.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
KFJ
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 78
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

I didn't, but only because I was too lazy to look it up.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 73
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Oh... looks like I poaned myself then. Haha.
__________________
"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

The Lux Ferous and Steam Noire.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
Tertius Oculum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,081
Bincount™: 688
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Weird, I had heard it was a message in 3 different languages, not 2. Now if I can only remember where I heard that.
__________________
"The spice must flow."

A very bad thread.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
T-13h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,539
Bincount™: 911
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Check it: http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/writing/rosetta.html

Egyptian used two different scripts. Those plus the Greek.
__________________
The word of the Law is θέλημα
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
Tertius Oculum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,081
Bincount™: 688
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Oh sweet, so I did hear correctly kind of.
__________________
"The spice must flow."

A very bad thread.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: royal palm beach
Posts: 124
Bincount™: 15
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21122012
Don't be patronising, I imagine most people do know what the Rosetta Stone is.
i know i didn't. and i don't think he was trying to be patronizing. he was just saying "in case most people don't know, here it is..."

but it's not every day common knowledge anyway, so assuming that most people here know what it is, itself is kind of patronizing...


in a weird way.


whatever. good thread either way.
__________________
Dreaming of that face again....

-- Third Eye
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 73
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagacious Foetu
i know i didn't. and i don't think he was trying to be patronizing. he was just saying "in case most people don't know, here it is..."

but it's not every day common knowledge anyway, so assuming that most people here know what it is, itself is kind of patronizing...


in a weird way.


whatever. good thread either way.
I guess so [insert laughing smiley here].
__________________
"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

The Lux Ferous and Steam Noire.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Eulogy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 640
Bincount™: 13
Re: The Rosetta Stone

iknew exactly what it was before the song came out..and as soon as i learned the name of it(stoned)...i had a good laugh.
__________________
"Think for yourself, question authority"-Timothy Leary
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
seeyouauntie
 
Carny_Handles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pen15
Posts: 3,953
Bincount™: 8695
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tertius Oculum View Post
Weird, I had heard it was a message in 3 different languages, not 2. Now if I can only remember where I heard that.
it does, both old hieroglyphs and new.. plus greek.


i was well aware of what the rosetta stone was before this album came out.. upon first listen i knew this song would be key to the album.. maybe tool.
__________________
i'm better than you
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Aenima7988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 101
Bincount™: 15
Re: The Rosetta Stone

So i'm sure I'm the 10,000th person to mention this, but if Rosetta Stone has two (and a half?) languages on it, greek and heiroglyphics- some know the one language, and can use their understanding to interpret the other- maybe that's the format of this song. I mean think about it, he rambles through a megaphone for half the song, and sings through a mic through the other half. Is it an intential metaphor? If so, which half of the song are we, or some of us, supposed to already understand, and how can we use that understanding to interpret the other half?

And is the origin of the rosetta stone a mystery? I'm not too good at history, were ancient egyptians around at the same time as ancient greece? they spoke to eachother???

Last edited by Aenima7988; 10-10-2007 at 05:43 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker
 
Shiver Me Timber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenima7988 View Post
So i'm sure I'm the 10,000th person to mention this, but if Rosetta Stone has two (and a half?) languages on it, greek and heiroglyphics- some know the one language, and can use their understanding to interpret the other- maybe that's the format of this song. I mean think about it, he rambles through a megaphone for half the song, and sings through a mic through the other half. Is it an intential metaphor? If so, which half of the song are we, or some of us, supposed to already understand, and how can we use that understanding to interpret the other half?

And is the origin of the rosetta stone a mystery? I'm not too good at history, were ancient egyptians around at the same time as ancient greece? they spoke to eachother???
Sorry if I sound harsh, I think you have it all wrong.

Maybe it can be like a metaphor or whatever, but I am pretty sure the connection between the song title and the actual Rosetta Stone is this:

The Rosetta Stone is the REASON why we can translate Ancient Greek to Heiroglyphics today. That was a huge deal, to be able to now understand Heiroglyphics.

Therefore, the Rosetta Stone is used as a metaphor for new discoveries, such as the beginning to a whole new world. (Ex. 'This message from the aliens is the Rosetta Stone of a new understanding of beings outside of the Earth.')

And, as we all know, the song is about some guy interacting with aliens (it can be deeper than that but you get the point). And, since he was either 'stoned' when the aliens picked him up, or if he was just going crazy from the fact that he 'forgot his pen' and couldn't remember what they told him, it is a reference to being 'stoned.'

Therefore, the song name is Rosetta Stoned.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
homer jay
 
slamminsalmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wtvl, Maine
Posts: 6,067
Bincount™: 4656
Re: The Rosetta Stone

quick version

dead head chemistry is not going to be the decoder to mysteries of life.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
wearethestories's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 466
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timber View Post
Sorry if I sound harsh, I think you have it all wrong.

Maybe it can be like a metaphor or whatever, but I am pretty sure the connection between the song title and the actual Rosetta Stone is this:

The Rosetta Stone is the REASON why we can translate Ancient Greek to Heiroglyphics today. That was a huge deal, to be able to now understand Heiroglyphics.

Therefore, the Rosetta Stone is used as a metaphor for new discoveries, such as the beginning to a whole new world. (Ex. 'This message from the aliens is the Rosetta Stone of a new understanding of beings outside of the Earth.')

And, as we all know, the song is about some guy interacting with aliens (it can be deeper than that but you get the point). And, since he was either 'stoned' when the aliens picked him up, or if he was just going crazy from the fact that he 'forgot his pen' and couldn't remember what they told him, it is a reference to being 'stoned.'

Therefore, the song name is Rosetta Stoned.
bingo.
__________________
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
hemiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 175
Bincount™: 20
Re: The Rosetta Stone

It's funny how little attention is paid to the actual message on the stone itself. Even on sites dedicated to the damn thing, there's barely mention of the message, beyond a translation of the first partagraph or two, which primarily just kiss the pharoah's ass.

If memory serves, I think it was an invitation to a party.

Regardless, slamminsalmon made my favorite single sentence assessment of a tool song, #15 above. Right on.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Peanut's Parents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 47
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Please forgive this maybe stupid question, but. Who is Bob?
"Bob please help me." is the line.
Can anyone answer that for me?
__________________
Confusion always leads to understanding.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Peanut's Parents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 47
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Nevermind, i found the BOB HELP ME forum, Seek and you shall fucking find.
__________________
Confusion always leads to understanding.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,480
Bincount™: 135
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
wtf? Link?
I think he's referring to a thread covering this subject. But to make it easy for ya' Bob is what Maynard calls God. It's a joke and I beleive meant to humanize the idea of what god is. Kind of like saying Jesus was just a regular guy with a good idea and message but he was still a mortal like the rest of us. I may be wrong about his meaning behind it but, instead of saying "God help me" he says "Bob help me"...perhaps because he refuses to choose any particular god.
__________________
"WITHOUT A LITTLE EVIL, GOOD WOULD NEVER EXIST"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #21
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
Jimmeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 1,515
Bincount™: 30
Re: The Rosetta Stone

The same message written twice in different languages? Almost like how the riffs present in Rosetta Stoned are recontextualisations of several key Tool riffs from other songs?

Last edited by Jimmeny; 11-11-2007 at 05:26 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
wearethestories's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 466
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post
The same message written twice in different languages? Almost like how the riffs present in Rosetta Stoned are recontextualisations of several key Tool riffs from other songs?
fluxterpation, anyone?
__________________
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
hemiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 175
Bincount™: 20
Re: The Rosetta Stone

the message was written three times
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 70
Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalSanityOff View Post
I get the feeling a lot of people here don't even know what the Rosetta Stone is, so I'll give a brief summary. It was found in 1799, and was an announcement written on a stone slab. It featured the same message written twice on the same slab in two different languages, one in Greek, one in Egyptian Heiroglyph. The fact that Greek is still spoken make the Rosetta Stone the key to translating Egyptian Heiroglyphics, and is the cornerstone that allowed for all modern translations of Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics. Without the Rosetta Stone, we would have next to no information about Ancient Egypt at all.
Yeah, i remember my world history teacher telling us briefly about the Rosetta Stone in class a long time ago.
__________________
You have a brain. So think for you, use what you were given to make something better.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.