Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
04-22-2006, 12:42 AM

I got this from http://www.sys-con.com/read/209974.htm

Rosetta Stone: A Natural Choice

Rosetta Stone is a natural choice for many language revitalization programs because it helps users develop everyday proficiency naturally, the same way people learn their first language -- by associating new words with real-life meaning. Rosetta Stone's Dynamic Immersion(TM) method uses thousands of real-life color images to convey the meaning of the spoken and written phrases in the program. Its carefully sequenced structure, use of native speakers and ability to provide instantaneous feedback teaches new language without memorization, translation or grammar drills. In the program, Kanien'keha words are never equated to English words, ensuring that words don't lose the many aspects of their meaning in the teaching process.

I wonder if "Rosetta Stoned" has anything to do with this. In the beginning of the song, the words are very unclear... later on they become more understandable after being distorted with effects. When Maynard talks about not finding his pen, It might relate to new language being taught without memorization... maybe.

"'We believe the best way to preserve a language is through teaching and learning, keeping it a living language in the hands of the people to whom it belongs," says Ilse Ackerman, manager of the Endangered Language Program at Rosetta Stone. '

A Language Nearly Lost

Between 1892 and 1969, thousands of Aboriginal children in Canada, including many Kanien'kehaka children, were not allowed to speak their native language. As part of Canada's government policies, Aboriginal children were forced to attend residential schools where only English was allowed."

I remember Maynard making a reference to Aboriginal people/religions during an interview regarding "Lateralus."
Old 04-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Rosetta Stone(R) Language learning software

Rosetta Stone is a natural choice for many language revitalization programs because it helps users develop everyday proficiency naturally, the same way people learn their first language -- by associating new words with real-life meaning. Rosetta Stone's Dynamic Immersion(TM) method uses thousands of real-life color images to convey the meaning of the spoken and written phrases in the program. Its carefully sequenced structure, use of native speakers and ability to provide instantaneous feedback teaches new language without memorization, translation or grammar drills. In the program, Kanien'keha words are never equated to English words, ensuring that words don't lose the many aspects of their meaning in the teaching process.

I wonder if "Rosetta Stoned" has anything to do with this. In the beginning of the song, the words are very unclear... later on they become more understandable after being distorted with effects. When Maynard talks about not finding his pen, It might relate to new language being taught without memorization... maybe.

"'We believe the best way to preserve a language is through teaching and learning, keeping it a living language in the hands of the people to whom it belongs," says Ilse Ackerman, manager of the Endangered Language Program at Rosetta Stone. '

A Language Nearly Lost

Between 1892 and 1969, thousands of Aboriginal children in Canada, including many Kanien'kehaka children, were not allowed to speak their native language. As part of Canada's government policies, Aboriginal children were forced to attend residential schools where only English was allowed."

I remember Maynard making a reference to Aboriginal people/religions during an interview regarding "Lateralus."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
04-22-2006, 12:57 AM

Rosetta is also a European Space Agency mission to orbit and land on a comet in the near future... I wonder if this song uses metaphors from the Rosetta Spacecraft as well as the Rosetta Stone(R) language system? Just a thought.

The Rosetta Stone is also an ancient stone discovered in Egypt that supposedly unlocked the mysteries of Egyptian hieroglyphics. see http://www.rosetta.com/RosettaStone.html
Old 04-22-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Re: Rosetta Stone(R) Language learning software

Rosetta is also a European Space Agency mission to orbit and land on a comet in the near future... I wonder if this song uses metaphors from the Rosetta Spacecraft as well as the Rosetta Stone(R) language system? Just a thought.

The Rosetta Stone is also an ancient stone discovered in Egypt that supposedly unlocked the mysteries of Egyptian hieroglyphics. see http://www.rosetta.com/RosettaStone.html
04-22-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef

Rosetta Stone is a natural choice for many language

...(snip)...

I'm a software engineer for Fairfield Language Tech (aka Rosetta Stone) and being "rosetta stoned" has actually been a running joke at the company for years now. Very cool that it will now be immortalized through song (although for an entirely different reason). I'm sure all my fellow tool-loving coworkers will get a kick out of it.

And no, to my knowledge maynard has never stopped by ;)
Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

Rosetta Stone is a natural choice for many language

...(snip)...

I'm a software engineer for Fairfield Language Tech (aka Rosetta Stone) and being "rosetta stoned" has actually been a running joke at the company for years now. Very cool that it will now be immortalized through song (although for an entirely different reason). I'm sure all my fellow tool-loving coworkers will get a kick out of it.

And no, to my knowledge maynard has never stopped by ;)
Ertai's Avatar Ertai
04-22-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:

the rosetta stone is written in half greek/half egyptian.. and at the time man knew the greek language so therefore we could dechiper the egyptian language...

. i think this song is in reference to dechipering a drug/alien experience....
Old 04-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 107

Quote:

the rosetta stone is written in half greek/half egyptian.. and at the time man knew the greek language so therefore we could dechiper the egyptian language...

. i think this song is in reference to dechipering a drug/alien experience....
04-22-2006, 08:52 PM

Rosetta the Stoned was a drug dealer in the old Illuminatus! series. It dealt with sci-fi and drugs, among other things.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Rosetta the Stoned was a drug dealer in the old Illuminatus! series. It dealt with sci-fi and drugs, among other things.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply