Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Emericana's Avatar Emericana
04-19-2006, 08:26 AM

ok this is just very prelim because i cant decode half of the lyrics in the song, but does this song, atleast on the surface, remind anyone else of a bad acid trip? i have unfortuantely had a horrible acid trip and atleast on the surface, with lost keys at the intro, it seems like a guy comes into the hospital for a bad acid trip and they tie the guy down to a chair. the song seems like the thought process which is going through his head... i say this because of the rapid fast voices in the beginning of the song, which seems to be coming at you at all directions..... this occurs on acid trips especially bad ones. you literally feel like you are going insane. ... therea re other similarities throughout the song such as echoing voices and whatnot...

the music is very trippy as well..

this is very prelim but just some thoughts.

comments?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7
LSD

ok this is just very prelim because i cant decode half of the lyrics in the song, but does this song, atleast on the surface, remind anyone else of a bad acid trip? i have unfortuantely had a horrible acid trip and atleast on the surface, with lost keys at the intro, it seems like a guy comes into the hospital for a bad acid trip and they tie the guy down to a chair. the song seems like the thought process which is going through his head... i say this because of the rapid fast voices in the beginning of the song, which seems to be coming at you at all directions..... this occurs on acid trips especially bad ones. you literally feel like you are going insane. ... therea re other similarities throughout the song such as echoing voices and whatnot...

the music is very trippy as well..

this is very prelim but just some thoughts.

comments?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-19-2006, 08:28 AM

yeah, it seems like its about some guy who get a message from aliens but hes too fucked up to remember what they told him, and hes in the hospital trying to remember.
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
Re: LSD

yeah, it seems like its about some guy who get a message from aliens but hes too fucked up to remember what they told him, and hes in the hospital trying to remember.
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Nate-dogg21
04-19-2006, 09:49 AM

Ive never done acid before, but ive had bad experience on mushrooms so i completly understand where you are coming from.

It all makes perfect sense, i mean you have the song before this about Dr Hoffman (the man who synthesized acid) I definitely agree with you.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 0

Ive never done acid before, but ive had bad experience on mushrooms so i completly understand where you are coming from.

It all makes perfect sense, i mean you have the song before this about Dr Hoffman (the man who synthesized acid) I definitely agree with you.
roygbiv
04-19-2006, 05:49 PM

From Wikipedia's 10,000 Days article:

# An April 7 post on toolband.com specifically mentions Dr. Albert Hofmann, the "father" of LSD, stating that on that date he synthesized LSD.
# The Rosetta Stone is a granite stone found in Egypt; the stone was the key to deciphering the hieroglyphs; it was also used as a pseudonym for children's author Dr. Seuss.

I'm not so sure about this, but the Rosetta Stone was used to decipher the hieroglyphs, and we're still trying to decipher what is being said in the song, is there some connection? (It's pretty weak, I know). I like the idea of the acid theories.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

From Wikipedia's 10,000 Days article:

# An April 7 post on toolband.com specifically mentions Dr. Albert Hofmann, the "father" of LSD, stating that on that date he synthesized LSD.
# The Rosetta Stone is a granite stone found in Egypt; the stone was the key to deciphering the hieroglyphs; it was also used as a pseudonym for children's author Dr. Seuss.

I'm not so sure about this, but the Rosetta Stone was used to decipher the hieroglyphs, and we're still trying to decipher what is being said in the song, is there some connection? (It's pretty weak, I know). I like the idea of the acid theories.
spiralout11235's Avatar spiralout11235
04-19-2006, 06:00 PM

Maybe the Rosetta Stone relates to the trippee trying to make sense of his weird experiences.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 23

Maybe the Rosetta Stone relates to the trippee trying to make sense of his weird experiences.
04-19-2006, 06:09 PM

maybe it's telling you goddamned hippies to stop dropping acid
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

maybe it's telling you goddamned hippies to stop dropping acid
Emericana's Avatar Emericana
04-19-2006, 06:28 PM

intelligent people drop acid too.... not just deadbeat dirty smelly ugly hairy hippies
Old 04-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

intelligent people drop acid too.... not just deadbeat dirty smelly ugly hairy hippies
voleurz's Avatar voleurz
04-19-2006, 06:36 PM

with words like shit the bed again, im asuming maynard had a bad acid trip and a pen handy...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

with words like shit the bed again, im asuming maynard had a bad acid trip and a pen handy...
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM

i can say i felt a little like the start of this song already while
intoxicated...tripping...but it was more empty...i am still sorting through this
song
Old 04-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

i can say i felt a little like the start of this song already while
intoxicated...tripping...but it was more empty...i am still sorting through this
song
04-19-2006, 07:11 PM

It does seem like someone on a trip trying to figure out everything that he's thinking/experiencing. Trying to decipher if you will...
Old 04-19-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It does seem like someone on a trip trying to figure out everything that he's thinking/experiencing. Trying to decipher if you will...
HolyReality's Avatar HolyReality
04-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emericana
damn straight. lsd can work wonders for those artistic types out there. myself included.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emericana
damn straight. lsd can work wonders for those artistic types out there. myself included.
Viginti Tres
04-19-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyReality
...or it could make you believe we have 16 fingers....plus 4 more
Old 04-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyReality
...or it could make you believe we have 16 fingers....plus 4 more
04-19-2006, 07:32 PM

lmao
Old 04-19-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

lmao
donkeynorris
04-19-2006, 08:05 PM

I think this song sounds really cool. The "shit the bed" line made me laugh.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

I think this song sounds really cool. The "shit the bed" line made me laugh.
viti's Avatar viti
04-19-2006, 08:29 PM

i think its supposed to be about the dude who took acid and in the beginning of the song hes rambling so fast about life and shit and he thinks hes all knowing but in reality hes jus shitting the bed in a hospital....lost keys helps with this picture

i think its saying that inorder to get to that high place, aka opening your third eye, taking a shit load of drugs does not get you there but rather gets you shitty boxers
Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

i think its supposed to be about the dude who took acid and in the beginning of the song hes rambling so fast about life and shit and he thinks hes all knowing but in reality hes jus shitting the bed in a hospital....lost keys helps with this picture

i think its saying that inorder to get to that high place, aka opening your third eye, taking a shit load of drugs does not get you there but rather gets you shitty boxers
04-19-2006, 09:32 PM

to me it sounds like it starts during the trip, but by the end of the song he's been out of it for so long that he's been committed.. or maybe during his trip he became violent, telling people he was the chosen one, etc.. i've known people who were sent to the hospital while on acid, and if you're really out of control they sometimes do strap you down and pump you full of thorazine.. it's supposed to counteract the acid, but according to one friend it did not work at all and actually caused even more vivid hallucinations..

so then as "character" in the song is lying strapped to the hospital bed, he tries to remember the revelations given to him by his visitors or whatever.. which anyone who's had enough experience with hallucinogens can tell you, is quite relatable.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #16
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

to me it sounds like it starts during the trip, but by the end of the song he's been out of it for so long that he's been committed.. or maybe during his trip he became violent, telling people he was the chosen one, etc.. i've known people who were sent to the hospital while on acid, and if you're really out of control they sometimes do strap you down and pump you full of thorazine.. it's supposed to counteract the acid, but according to one friend it did not work at all and actually caused even more vivid hallucinations..

so then as "character" in the song is lying strapped to the hospital bed, he tries to remember the revelations given to him by his visitors or whatever.. which anyone who's had enough experience with hallucinogens can tell you, is quite relatable.
04-19-2006, 09:44 PM

see the thing is, its a little difficult to figure out, with only 85% of the lyrics. This song is damn near impossible to understand.

But yeah, im definitely leaning towards drugs, its definitely a bad trip on drugs. Its really hard to understand if you havent done any hallucinogens. Everyone just thinks you're crazy.... But ive had god come to me, ive died while under the influence, i know exactly what this guy is talking about.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #17
On Probation

see the thing is, its a little difficult to figure out, with only 85% of the lyrics. This song is damn near impossible to understand.

But yeah, im definitely leaning towards drugs, its definitely a bad trip on drugs. Its really hard to understand if you havent done any hallucinogens. Everyone just thinks you're crazy.... But ive had god come to me, ive died while under the influence, i know exactly what this guy is talking about.
trickma's Avatar trickma
04-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Yes it does remind me of a bad trip, blame hoffman.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yes it does remind me of a bad trip, blame hoffman.
Ertai's Avatar Ertai
04-19-2006, 10:31 PM

remember

Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)

the actually name of the track posted on toolband.com

defently in reference to LSD... hoffman...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 107

remember

Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)

the actually name of the track posted on toolband.com

defently in reference to LSD... hoffman...
04-19-2006, 11:49 PM

The song seams to take place in australia, the doctors accent is aussie, and he mentions aborignies in the song
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #20
vec
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

The song seams to take place in australia, the doctors accent is aussie, and he mentions aborignies in the song
auralassassin
04-19-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssPea
So they took me by the hand
They invited me right in
And they showed me something
I don't even know where to begin.
Maynard is talking about spirit/gnome/alien contact during a DMT trip/acid trip/etc... I once did a hit of DMT and was taken by the hand by what looked to be a half mutilated angel... she told me to not be afraid, so I went with her.

she showed me the universe being created on a spec of dust... I watched an entire civilization being born, and building these enormous crystaline palaces and watched the evolution of these beings... and eventually, the destruction.

but as I was watching billions of years pass in the blink of an eye, I could feel all the pain, fear, love, hate, emotion that these beings were feeling... like I was inside of them or they were inside of me... all of that emotion. but I saw what the downfall of these people was, and I could pinpoint where it all went wrong...

then I came back from DMT space.

later in life, I did another hit of DMT and it was like they had been waiting for me, and even welcomed me back.

the key here, is that I could understand what they were saying to me in that time and place--it wasn't communicating through speech, more thoughts and emotions... I could tell that they were afraid of me, because they had seen how we lived and saw how we treat "friends" but they still invited me in.

to this day, I cannot communicate the messages that they gave me--because there aren't words for the emotions or the messages they sent--it translates into ACTIONS and things like that.. I think that Maynard is trying to convey a message that is impossible to convey...

"shit the bed" = failing to properly express what cannot properly be expressed... gryoscopes = alien abduction stories that DMT users report...

anyone who knows about the Pineal Gland, or the "third eye" knows that I'm not full of shit... anyone who doesn't needs to read up on DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Properly smashing song.. and that vocal at 8:38... FUCKING WOW!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #21
Banned.

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssPea
So they took me by the hand
They invited me right in
And they showed me something
I don't even know where to begin.
Maynard is talking about spirit/gnome/alien contact during a DMT trip/acid trip/etc... I once did a hit of DMT and was taken by the hand by what looked to be a half mutilated angel... she told me to not be afraid, so I went with her.

she showed me the universe being created on a spec of dust... I watched an entire civilization being born, and building these enormous crystaline palaces and watched the evolution of these beings... and eventually, the destruction.

but as I was watching billions of years pass in the blink of an eye, I could feel all the pain, fear, love, hate, emotion that these beings were feeling... like I was inside of them or they were inside of me... all of that emotion. but I saw what the downfall of these people was, and I could pinpoint where it all went wrong...

then I came back from DMT space.

later in life, I did another hit of DMT and it was like they had been waiting for me, and even welcomed me back.

the key here, is that I could understand what they were saying to me in that time and place--it wasn't communicating through speech, more thoughts and emotions... I could tell that they were afraid of me, because they had seen how we lived and saw how we treat "friends" but they still invited me in.

to this day, I cannot communicate the messages that they gave me--because there aren't words for the emotions or the messages they sent--it translates into ACTIONS and things like that.. I think that Maynard is trying to convey a message that is impossible to convey...

"shit the bed" = failing to properly express what cannot properly be expressed... gryoscopes = alien abduction stories that DMT users report...

anyone who knows about the Pineal Gland, or the "third eye" knows that I'm not full of shit... anyone who doesn't needs to read up on DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Properly smashing song.. and that vocal at 8:38... FUCKING WOW!
Anr149
04-20-2006, 11:26 AM

May have something to do with doing acid and the thoughts associated with being on acid. The name of the song is Rosetta stoned and isnt that the stone they found all that shit on that they decoded like he is trying to explain how you think on acid and how complex it is and during an acid trip im always trying to figure our what the hell is going on and the mind on acid is like a rosetta stone, very complicated... fuck i dunno

Edit: he also talks about needing to write things down and there was always this constant urge to record everything happening to me whilst on acid.

Last edited by Anr149; 04-20-2006 at 12:26 PM..
Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

May have something to do with doing acid and the thoughts associated with being on acid. The name of the song is Rosetta stoned and isnt that the stone they found all that shit on that they decoded like he is trying to explain how you think on acid and how complex it is and during an acid trip im always trying to figure our what the hell is going on and the mind on acid is like a rosetta stone, very complicated... fuck i dunno

Edit: he also talks about needing to write things down and there was always this constant urge to record everything happening to me whilst on acid.

Last edited by Anr149; 04-20-2006 at 12:26 PM..
Reflectionr
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM

This song is definately about lsd (at least on one level).

There are two references to vitamin C, which is believed to help you come down when you're having a bad trip:

Quote:
And after calming me down with some orange slices and fetal spooning
Quote:
Sunkist the sudafed
Gyroscopes, and infrared
won't help, brain dead
Old 04-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

This song is definately about lsd (at least on one level).

There are two references to vitamin C, which is believed to help you come down when you're having a bad trip:

Quote:
And after calming me down with some orange slices and fetal spooning
Quote:
Sunkist the sudafed
Gyroscopes, and infrared
won't help, brain dead
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
04-20-2006, 05:40 PM

anyone who has had i big acid fuckout will get chills listening to this song, very relevent. i have treated acid with a lack of respect in the past and just munched more than i can handle, often coz i assumed i knew how much was on a tab (never rush it with unfamiliar tabs, dont be a jerk, do it in halves).

but yeah, the feeling of masses of information being pounded into your head at a much faster rate than what you can do anything with it is conveyed well in these lyrics. plus definately the feeling of having just been shown something of dramitic importance, learning a valuable lesson, but being way too fucked up to possibly remember it. i think it is the flipside to the song third eye, showing the ugly side of opening up the psychedelic receptor (maybe.)

anyway, im currently on my third listen to the album, and totally fucking adoring it, as im sure many of you are

chi
zor
Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

anyone who has had i big acid fuckout will get chills listening to this song, very relevent. i have treated acid with a lack of respect in the past and just munched more than i can handle, often coz i assumed i knew how much was on a tab (never rush it with unfamiliar tabs, dont be a jerk, do it in halves).

but yeah, the feeling of masses of information being pounded into your head at a much faster rate than what you can do anything with it is conveyed well in these lyrics. plus definately the feeling of having just been shown something of dramitic importance, learning a valuable lesson, but being way too fucked up to possibly remember it. i think it is the flipside to the song third eye, showing the ugly side of opening up the psychedelic receptor (maybe.)

anyway, im currently on my third listen to the album, and totally fucking adoring it, as im sure many of you are

chi
zor

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply