Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
Visceralus's Avatar Visceralus
04-13-2006, 06:05 PM

I looked at THIS alex grey image:

and the current 'leaked' artwork out there.

and combined them to make THIS

Obviously i changed the hue a bit to make them match etc but it shows that either someone made some educated fake artwork, or it is infact the real deal.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 20
Artwork Verification?

Obviously i changed the hue a bit to make them match etc but it shows that either someone made some educated fake artwork, or it is infact the real deal.
OFFLINE |  
a788's Avatar a788
04-13-2006, 06:13 PM

i think it looks pretty good
Old 04-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2268
Re: Artwork Verification?

i think it looks pretty good
Spongebob's Avatar Spongebob
04-13-2006, 06:18 PM

i can verify that picture.
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1669

i can verify that picture.
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
OFFLINE |  
Hodge
04-13-2006, 07:15 PM

I LIKE
Old 04-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

I LIKE
OFFLINE |  
Natalie Portman's Avatar Natalie Portman
04-13-2006, 07:18 PM

wow, nobody's made that connection yet. not at all.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 34

wow, nobody's made that connection yet. not at all.
OFFLINE |  
teleincision's Avatar teleincision
04-13-2006, 07:19 PM

lol
Old 04-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

lol
04-13-2006, 07:28 PM

Looks pretty awsome! Tool are good at making pretty unique covers, so it wouldnt suprise me if they did something similar to Lateralus, with the whole clear plastic thing and all.
Only thing is that it is a Digipak, apparently. I think it was JB HIFI in Australia that confirmed that they are selling a Digipak, but then again, it has been said that the cover would be unlike anything anyone has ever seen before,so u never know.
Cant fuckin wait either way!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Looks pretty awsome! Tool are good at making pretty unique covers, so it wouldnt suprise me if they did something similar to Lateralus, with the whole clear plastic thing and all.
Only thing is that it is a Digipak, apparently. I think it was JB HIFI in Australia that confirmed that they are selling a Digipak, but then again, it has been said that the cover would be unlike anything anyone has ever seen before,so u never know.
Cant fuckin wait either way!
OFFLINE |  
rochey-o's Avatar rochey-o
04-13-2006, 07:36 PM

shit dude thats really cool
Old 04-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3653

shit dude thats really cool
OFFLINE |  
just simulacra's Avatar just simulacra
04-13-2006, 07:37 PM

plus, the maynard image layout with the curtains is also similar.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

plus, the maynard image layout with the curtains is also similar.
04-13-2006, 07:49 PM

i like that so much im putting it in my myspace
Old 04-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

i like that so much im putting it in my myspace
OFFLINE |  
F!end's Avatar F!end
04-13-2006, 07:55 PM

I've seen this theory elsewhere on this forum already
Old 04-13-2006, 07:55 PM   #11

Bincount™: 7

04-13-2006, 08:44 PM

WOW
Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

WOW
04-13-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F!end
yeah well i made a picture so this negates all previous discussion.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by F!end
OFFLINE |  
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
04-13-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceralus

Although that does look cool and I commend your efforts, its probably just the result of Alex Grey being a talentless hack who reuses two 'original' ideas for every piece of art he's ever created and hoped no one will notice.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929

Quote:

Although that does look cool and I commend your efforts, its probably just the result of Alex Grey being a talentless hack who reuses two 'original' ideas for every piece of art he's ever created and hoped no one will notice.
OFFLINE |  
tempathy's Avatar tempathy
04-13-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot199
are you FUCKING kidding here?

who the fuck are you to tell him what to fucking paint? what the fuck do you think you do that makes you his holy watcher? you've got to be fucking kidding with that comment. you're so god damned ignorant you make everyone else who posts here look like an intellect! that has to be the most egotistic self-important message i've ever seen anyone write! i'm not joking! you're scum.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #15

Bincount™: 17

Quote:

who the fuck are you to tell him what to fucking paint? what the fuck do you think you do that makes you his holy watcher? you've got to be fucking kidding with that comment. you're so god damned ignorant you make everyone else who posts here look like an intellect! that has to be the most egotistic self-important message i've ever seen anyone write! i'm not joking! you're scum.
04-13-2006, 11:54 PM

i wish you guys would just hold hands
Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 PM   #16
On Probation

i wish you guys would just hold hands
OFFLINE |  
F!end's Avatar F!end
04-13-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:

nicely done ;)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #17

Bincount™: 7

Quote:

nicely done ;)
04-14-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempathy

I agree that calling Alex Grey "talentless" is just plain fucked up... but jesus christ you took it wayyyyyyy the fuck overboard. Settle down NOW.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I agree that calling Alex Grey "talentless" is just plain fucked up... but jesus christ you took it wayyyyyyy the fuck overboard. Settle down NOW.
OFFLINE |  
04-14-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:

You're blind, retarded, and an accident if you honestly are trying to tell me that you can't see that every single Alex Grey piece follows exactly the same formula.

Grow the fuck up; just because Alex Grey somehow ended up associated with Tool doesn't make him good or creative. Hes so lame and conceited all he manages to do is rip himself off. I don't know why Tool didn't rehire Chet Zar... now theres genius for you.

Don't be fucking stupid. Please. Reading ignorant fanboi-ish bullshit posts like yours honestly disgusts me. Grow a fucking mind of your own for Christ's sake. People like you are the reason shit like Bush ended up getting re-elected; you're too fucking blind to do anything other than what you're told. Tool tells you (indirectly) that Alex Grey is a good artist that deserves respect by hiring him (twice). Take about 2 minutes on his website and explore his 'amazing' array of the same exact picture over and over and over and over, then get back to me on how much of a genius he is.

Oh, and for the record, interlaying the main theme's sillouette within itself and repeated ad. nauseum isn't creative. Its called Photoshop. Hell, I don't even need photoshop to create that 'original' effect; I doodle that in the margin of my notes in school when I'm bored. Talk about your fucking original artistry.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Last edited by Ocelot199; 04-14-2006 at 12:05 AM..
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #19
On Probation

Quote:

You're blind, retarded, and an accident if you honestly are trying to tell me that you can't see that every single Alex Grey piece follows exactly the same formula.

Grow the fuck up; just because Alex Grey somehow ended up associated with Tool doesn't make him good or creative. Hes so lame and conceited all he manages to do is rip himself off. I don't know why Tool didn't rehire Chet Zar... now theres genius for you.

Don't be fucking stupid. Please. Reading ignorant fanboi-ish bullshit posts like yours honestly disgusts me. Grow a fucking mind of your own for Christ's sake. People like you are the reason shit like Bush ended up getting re-elected; you're too fucking blind to do anything other than what you're told. Tool tells you (indirectly) that Alex Grey is a good artist that deserves respect by hiring him (twice). Take about 2 minutes on his website and explore his 'amazing' array of the same exact picture over and over and over and over, then get back to me on how much of a genius he is.

Oh, and for the record, interlaying the main theme's sillouette within itself and repeated ad. nauseum isn't creative. Its called Photoshop. Hell, I don't even need photoshop to create that 'original' effect; I doodle that in the margin of my notes in school when I'm bored. Talk about your fucking original artistry.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Last edited by Ocelot199; 04-14-2006 at 12:05 AM..
OFFLINE |  
magnolia's Avatar magnolia
04-14-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.
Okay, I guess... nevermind? Ocelott199 IS a fucking asshole, and somehow the idea of art COMPLETELY evades him. Alex Grey's artwork OBVIOUSLY required a huge amount of talent. I didn't think anybody in their right mind could ever say that Alex Grey is talentless. Or a sellout. Oh my god, you fucking idiot -- his work all follows the same ideas because HE'S A FUCKING ARTIST. HE HAS A STYLE.

WOW was I wrong ever agreeing with anything you've said, Ocelot. Wow.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.
Okay, I guess... nevermind? Ocelott199 IS a fucking asshole, and somehow the idea of art COMPLETELY evades him. Alex Grey's artwork OBVIOUSLY required a huge amount of talent. I didn't think anybody in their right mind could ever say that Alex Grey is talentless. Or a sellout. Oh my god, you fucking idiot -- his work all follows the same ideas because HE'S A FUCKING ARTIST. HE HAS A STYLE.

WOW was I wrong ever agreeing with anything you've said, Ocelot. Wow.
OFFLINE |  
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
04-14-2006, 12:14 AM

Alex Grey is talented, I won't dispute that. But come on, you have to admit a lot of his stuff is VERY similar. A lot of people couldn't even tell the difference between the new cover and his "InterBeing" painting.

I was really surprised to see that they'd be using him a second time around.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 04-14-2006, 12:14 AM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Alex Grey is talented, I won't dispute that. But come on, you have to admit a lot of his stuff is VERY similar. A lot of people couldn't even tell the difference between the new cover and his "InterBeing" painting.

"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |  
magnolia's Avatar magnolia
04-14-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane

Oh it's definately similar alright. But that's his style.

http://alexgrey.net/a-gallery/wndr.html
... Talentless? Come on Ocelot. At least tell me you don't truly believe he's talentless. Who cares if you don't like his work... but don't embarass yourself.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane

Oh it's definately similar alright. But that's his style.

http://alexgrey.net/a-gallery/wndr.html
... Talentless? Come on Ocelot. At least tell me you don't truly believe he's talentless. Who cares if you don't like his work... but don't embarass yourself.
OFFLINE |  
PHI-1.618
04-14-2006, 01:09 AM

He is certainly not talentless, but he is somewhat overrated. How could you not admit that, considering the way all of these kids hype him up.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

He is certainly not talentless, but he is somewhat overrated. How could you not admit that, considering the way all of these kids hype him up.
OFFLINE |  
s ti N Kfizt's Avatar s ti N Kfizt
04-14-2006, 03:59 AM

if you combine 2 good pictures, YOU HAVE A GREAT PICTURE! WOW! ... damn, too ocelottish post. don't read this.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:59 AM   #24
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

if you combine 2 good pictures, YOU HAVE A GREAT PICTURE! WOW! ... damn, too ocelottish post. don't read this.
OFFLINE |  
Semp's Avatar Semp
04-14-2006, 06:10 AM

Alex Grey is extremely skilled at capturing on the canvas what it feels like to be totally fucked up on psychotropics, only without that horrible gut-crushing sensation

Last edited by Semp; 04-14-2006 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: I'm typing with fat man's fingers today
Old 04-14-2006, 06:10 AM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Alex Grey is extremely skilled at capturing on the canvas what it feels like to be totally fucked up on psychotropics, only without that horrible gut-crushing sensation

Last edited by Semp; 04-14-2006 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: I'm typing with fat man's fingers today
OFFLINE |  
04-14-2006, 10:01 AM

You people who are defending Alex Grey know shit all about good art. Alex Grey is a hack. Period. All he knows how to do is copy his own idea, which isn't even original in the first place. The only reason any of you know about him is because of Tool, and the only reason any of you are stupid enough to defend his 'art' is because of Tool. Grow some fucking brains.

Get fucked you ignorant elitist turds. Stop letting Tool tell you whats good and bad art.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #26
On Probation

You people who are defending Alex Grey know shit all about good art. Alex Grey is a hack. Period. All he knows how to do is copy his own idea, which isn't even original in the first place. The only reason any of you know about him is because of Tool, and the only reason any of you are stupid enough to defend his 'art' is because of Tool. Grow some fucking brains.

Get fucked you ignorant elitist turds. Stop letting Tool tell you whats good and bad art.
OFFLINE |  
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
04-14-2006, 10:02 AM

because its up to you what's good and bad art

i'm not a very gib grey fan, but that's just retarded, oce
Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

because its up to you what's good and bad art

i'm not a very gib grey fan, but that's just retarded, oce
04-14-2006, 10:07 AM

It's not about knowing good art. It's about what I like.

Personally, I like Alex Grey's stuff, but not all of it. I don't really get his Chapel of Sacred Mirrors. Although his work takes a lot of effort and skill to create, making muscle portraits of naked black men isn't really interesting to me. I don't look deeply into art, because I don't really see a point in analyzing it. Even if I did see a point, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I think Alex Grey is overrated. Some of his stuff is amazing, but a lot of it IS the same, unless I fail to see how his stuff is actually different.

I like Cam de Leon and Chet Zar a lot more out of the artists Tool has worked with.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #28
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

It's not about knowing good art. It's about what I like.

Personally, I like Alex Grey's stuff, but not all of it. I don't really get his Chapel of Sacred Mirrors. Although his work takes a lot of effort and skill to create, making muscle portraits of naked black men isn't really interesting to me. I don't look deeply into art, because I don't really see a point in analyzing it. Even if I did see a point, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I think Alex Grey is overrated. Some of his stuff is amazing, but a lot of it IS the same, unless I fail to see how his stuff is actually different.

I like Cam de Leon and Chet Zar a lot more out of the artists Tool has worked with.
OFFLINE |  
s ti N Kfizt's Avatar s ti N Kfizt
04-14-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:

hhahahahahaa.. stupid.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #29
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

Quote:

hhahahahahaa.. stupid.
OFFLINE |  
04-14-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:

ocelot take a chill pill, all good artists have a formula. picasso put eyes in different places on people and mixed their shit up, dali always had those weird spider elephant things, thousands of artists just painted like mountains and flowers their whole career

alex greys formula is people doing shit but you can see their insides and its all colorful and trippy, theres nothing wrong with that

i like his art, its nice to look at, thats what its all about

paintings dont have to be super original or deep to look good, just like music doesnt have to be super original or deep to sound good
Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #30
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

ocelot take a chill pill, all good artists have a formula. picasso put eyes in different places on people and mixed their shit up, dali always had those weird spider elephant things, thousands of artists just painted like mountains and flowers their whole career

alex greys formula is people doing shit but you can see their insides and its all colorful and trippy, theres nothing wrong with that

i like his art, its nice to look at, thats what its all about

paintings dont have to be super original or deep to look good, just like music doesnt have to be super original or deep to sound good
OFFLINE |  
Leroy Brown's Avatar Leroy Brown
04-14-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:

And what we should now listen to you? Fuck off and die you piece of fucking shit.
Here's a thought from me to you that I thought of all by myself... you are an idiot and I have no respect for you. Alex Grey has some really great paintings that have touched me deeply, kinda the way Michael Jackson obviously touched you when you went to neverland ranch you sad excuse for a mammal.

Eat my shit.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

And what we should now listen to you? Fuck off and die you piece of fucking shit.
Here's a thought from me to you that I thought of all by myself... you are an idiot and I have no respect for you. Alex Grey has some really great paintings that have touched me deeply, kinda the way Michael Jackson obviously touched you when you went to neverland ranch you sad excuse for a mammal.

Eat my shit.
OFFLINE |  
04-14-2006, 10:37 AM

lammme
Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #32
Level 9 - Obstreperous

lammme
OFFLINE |  
Cucumber_11's Avatar Cucumber_11
04-14-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Brown

Eat my shit.
Woah! Everyone needs to mellow out a bit. This is an opinion forum right? Occelot just displayed an opinion (Albeit a little forcefully...) he has a right to do that, and you have a right to disagree with it. What it doesn't mean is that anybody is wrong. Opinions can neither be right or wrong.

Let Occelot think Alex Grey is pants for gawds sake. However Occelot should not try and press his opinion onto others, he is doing what everyone who is defending Alex Grey is doing, presuming his opinion is the only one thats right. If we all calmed down, took our heads out of our arses and remembered that everyone is entitled to an opinion i think we could move along, and you know, maybe mature a bit?

(The word fuck does not make you mature.)
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 192

Quote:

Eat my shit.
Woah! Everyone needs to mellow out a bit. This is an opinion forum right? Occelot just displayed an opinion (Albeit a little forcefully...) he has a right to do that, and you have a right to disagree with it. What it doesn't mean is that anybody is wrong. Opinions can neither be right or wrong.

Let Occelot think Alex Grey is pants for gawds sake. However Occelot should not try and press his opinion onto others, he is doing what everyone who is defending Alex Grey is doing, presuming his opinion is the only one thats right. If we all calmed down, took our heads out of our arses and remembered that everyone is entitled to an opinion i think we could move along, and you know, maybe mature a bit?

(The word fuck does not make you mature.)
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
OFFLINE |  
tool25's Avatar tool25
04-14-2006, 10:51 AM

dude that artwork is sick
Old 04-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #34

dude that artwork is sick
04-14-2006, 10:52 AM

and yeh cucumbers right, chill and grow up fools
Old 04-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #35

and yeh cucumbers right, chill and grow up fools
04-14-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Okay who the fuck cares if his work looks the same, it obviously takes talent to create what he has created. Look up the definition of "talent" before you start posting like a fucking retard.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Okay who the fuck cares if his work looks the same, it obviously takes talent to create what he has created. Look up the definition of "talent" before you start posting like a fucking retard.
OFFLINE |  
Visceralus's Avatar Visceralus
04-14-2006, 04:42 PM

i made this thread to spread the love, you guys are fucking crazy.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #37
On Probation

i made this thread to spread the love, you guys are fucking crazy.
OFFLINE |  
04-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Eat my shit.
This is the lamest post ever. I was going to reply and pwn your n00b ass a little bit, but you seem to have saved me the trouble. Thanks, douche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia
The thing is, Alex's 'talent' comes from ripping off:
1. plenty of artists before him who did the same exact thing, and
2. himself.

Artistic talent entails flexibility and creativity with the willingness to expand and create what normal language can't, not to repeat the same formula ad naseum in order to gain prestige and money while developing an ego the size of all of Tool combined.

Its very very sad that you people think Alex Grey is a good artist. Hes a good businessman and a good self-promoter, but an artist he is not.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #38
On Probation

Quote:

Eat my shit.
This is the lamest post ever. I was going to reply and pwn your n00b ass a little bit, but you seem to have saved me the trouble. Thanks, douche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia
The thing is, Alex's 'talent' comes from ripping off:
1. plenty of artists before him who did the same exact thing, and
2. himself.

Artistic talent entails flexibility and creativity with the willingness to expand and create what normal language can't, not to repeat the same formula ad naseum in order to gain prestige and money while developing an ego the size of all of Tool combined.

Its very very sad that you people think Alex Grey is a good artist. Hes a good businessman and a good self-promoter, but an artist he is not.
OFFLINE |  
zach5284
04-14-2006, 10:37 PM

go to heaven . Alex Grey is going to be the best part of this album.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

go to heaven . Alex Grey is going to be the best part of this album.
OFFLINE |  
Jayar's Avatar Jayar
04-14-2006, 11:09 PM

Have you ever taken a look at some renaissance art? Notice the similarity between alot of them, regardless of the artist? Alot of artists stick to a specific formula, Dali's paintings could all be categorized as being surrealist while Da Vinci stuck to realism. Diversity in an artists' work is a pretty rare thing, some of the most well known artists only mingled with a couple styles and that's it.

"Artistic talent entails flexibility and creativity with the willingness to expand and create what normal language can't, not to repeat the same formula ad naseum in order to gain prestige and money while developing an ego the size of all of Tool combined."

Everything you said (save for flexibility which as I said above really doesn't matter) with regards to artistic talent in my opinion Alex Grey has. And with regards to his ego I personally couldn't give a shit about it. I've heard Maynard is an asshole in person, and I don't give a fuck because asshole or not, him and his band mates have enhanced my life with their music. And I don't know what you have against someone profiting from their occupation, that's like hating the fact that people do dishes for a living (save the empathy).

He's not an artist? Well, of course! Everyone who ever bought a print or visited his gallery and made him rich must be a Tool fanboy who's only heard of him because of Lateralus and to a lesser degree, Nirvana's In Utero!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #40
Suicide Booth ID: 15

Bincount™: 2221

Have you ever taken a look at some renaissance art? Notice the similarity between alot of them, regardless of the artist? Alot of artists stick to a specific formula, Dali's paintings could all be categorized as being surrealist while Da Vinci stuck to realism. Diversity in an artists' work is a pretty rare thing, some of the most well known artists only mingled with a couple styles and that's it.

"Artistic talent entails flexibility and creativity with the willingness to expand and create what normal language can't, not to repeat the same formula ad naseum in order to gain prestige and money while developing an ego the size of all of Tool combined."

Everything you said (save for flexibility which as I said above really doesn't matter) with regards to artistic talent in my opinion Alex Grey has. And with regards to his ego I personally couldn't give a shit about it. I've heard Maynard is an asshole in person, and I don't give a fuck because asshole or not, him and his band mates have enhanced my life with their music. And I don't know what you have against someone profiting from their occupation, that's like hating the fact that people do dishes for a living (save the empathy).

He's not an artist? Well, of course! Everyone who ever bought a print or visited his gallery and made him rich must be a Tool fanboy who's only heard of him because of Lateralus and to a lesser degree, Nirvana's In Utero!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply