opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 02-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
fox
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
what is he screaming?

maynard screams something early on in third eye which has been determined as "in... out... in... out..." but it sounds nothing like that, especaially on salival. i can't make out what he's screaming, but i'm sure it's not "in... out... in... out..."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
Could you give an exact time when it starts..? Maynard posted that he is saying "in, out".. of course, there could be something else.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166
Re: what is he screaming?

Quote:
Originally posted by fox
maynard screams something early on in third eye which has been determined as "in... out... in... out..." but it sounds nothing like that, especaially on salival. i can't make out what he's screaming, but i'm sure it's not "in... out... in... out..."
no, i think its just yelling, for the sound of it. the "in...out...in...out..." is later, its whispered over about 3 minutes of the song.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
fox
Level 1 - Lurker

not just screaming

on the aenima version after "wiping the webs & the dew from my whitered eye" about 3m50s into the song he starts screaming unintelligible words until around 4m20s. on the salival version it starts around 4m10s until 4m35s and i think on the salival version he might be saying "i..... pried.... my.... he- he- he- he.... eye"
Old 02-09-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
Oh.. that.. it's just yelling. "HEEEEY-EH-EH-EH-EH" basically. He yells and moves his hand over his mouth repeatedly to get that pause-type effect.. I doubt it's words
Old 03-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey if any of you have the program Cool Edit Pro or similiar music software that allows you to apply a "vocal cut" transform to the song, you should try it. Doing so brings out a lot of the background sounds in the song that you normally can't really hear. Especially the drumming, all you drummers out there ought to try this, you hear subtle things being played that can't be heard in the original version. the "vocal cut" also makes some of the screaming and whispering Maynard does more audible, but it's still hard to make out
Old 03-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Penguin
Oh.. that.. it's just yelling. "HEEEEY-EH-EH-EH-EH" basically. He yells and moves his hand over his mouth repeatedly to get that pause-type effect.. I doubt it's words
Listen to it again. When Maynard writes the lyrics down and we read them, that doesn't mean they will come out sounding exactly what he wrote. In... Out... In... Out...
he's breathing- through his third eye
the first few breaths are a little blocked/clogged from lack of using the withered eye, hence the pause-type effect for the first 3 screams until he breaks it wide open for the last exhale
Old 03-15-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Maybe it is something to go along with the music and signify the fall into the dream.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Sorry, guys. It's just screaming. yeah, it probobly does signify the falling into the dream, but it sure as hell isn't in out in out. It's just screaming. Maynard likes to do that. He does it in jimmy and the Grudge amongst other songs.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It's best not to kill yourself over it. It's his words, and what we hear is what he wants us to hear. Some of it may register subconsciously and that may add to the effect of the song.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:20 PM   #11
X

Bincount™: 746
I think Maynard is yelling"You-ou-ou-ou-ou!" "I-i-i-i-i".
Old 05-06-2003, 07:30 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

the breathing through his thrid eye theory makes perfect sence. And what he wrote down is "in out" and that is what he says. Its just very clouded due to the staticness of the mic.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:50 PM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally posted by sircorn
the breathing through his thrid eye theory makes perfect sence. And what he wrote down is "in out" and that is what he says. Its just very clouded due to the staticness of the mic.
but the screams are not "in...out..." the "in out" is 2 minutes later in the song.. listen with headphones.. he goes on saying "in...out...in...out..." for at least 2 minutes.. it goes on through a couple of the verses too..
Old 05-07-2003, 06:12 PM   #14
SoM
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally posted by jpmanson
but the screams are not "in...out..." the "in out" is 2 minutes later in the song.. listen with headphones.. he goes on saying "in...out...in...out..." for at least 2 minutes.. it goes on through a couple of the verses too..
I'd have to agree. "In... out... in... out..." is what he repeats quietly after the screaming.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Yeah, cause we all know eyes are for breathing. :)
Sorry I just had to say that. Eyes are receptors. They take in images (light) pass the signal on to the brain to be processed.
liminal
Old 05-08-2003, 06:47 PM   #16
On Probation

Bincount™: 1138
the scream right after the supposed "in...out..." stops right at 4mins 20 seconds... funny. that could mean something too.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:43 PM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally posted by Flojob
the scream right after the supposed "in...out..." stops right at 4mins 20 seconds... funny. that could mean something too.
what are you talking about? the screams are way before the definate "in...out..." thing.. trust me, its there.. once you have heard it, you can never listen to it again without noticing it..
Old 05-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

the "in...out...in...out..." thing starts before 6:00, but its not noticable until around 6:04
Old 05-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
he is saying something

it sounds something like

"these eyes they hurt"

the in out part is whispering in the background

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply