Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
astoria's Avatar astoria
03-17-2005, 05:04 PM

I hope the new album although as brutal and heavy as I hope it will be, will have some sort of melody. I'm hoping something to the likes of Aenema, Hooker with a Penis, etc. Actually blair mentioned that Danny was pleased about the vocal arrangement of a new song they laid out that day with Maynard, hopefully it will have some of that. I'm not asking something that I can hum too in a pop way. I remember the first time I put on undertow, sober had that universal sound that just reminded me that it wasn't the first time I had heard that song. Oh boy would I kill for that feeling again.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 5
melody

I hope the new album although as brutal and heavy as I hope it will be, will have some sort of melody. I'm hoping something to the likes of Aenema, Hooker with a Penis, etc. Actually blair mentioned that Danny was pleased about the vocal arrangement of a new song they laid out that day with Maynard, hopefully it will have some of that. I'm not asking something that I can hum too in a pop way. I remember the first time I put on undertow, sober had that universal sound that just reminded me that it wasn't the first time I had heard that song. Oh boy would I kill for that feeling again.
OFFLINE |  
astoria's Avatar astoria
03-17-2005, 05:34 PM

I don't know how to put it into words............ah forget it
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
On Probation

Re: melody

I don't know how to put it into words............ah forget it
OFFLINE |  
champion's Avatar champion
03-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pudding
every song ever made has melody. that's what makes a song a song.
you wanna bet?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Quote:
you wanna bet?
OFFLINE |  
astoria's Avatar astoria
03-17-2005, 05:40 PM

ok let me give you an example.....look at meshuggah's music..........there isn't one song they made that has a melody..it's just a barrage of loud noise that gives me convulsions.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
On Probation

ok let me give you an example.....look at meshuggah's music..........there isn't one song they made that has a melody..it's just a barrage of loud noise that gives me convulsions.
OFFLINE |  
astoria's Avatar astoria
03-17-2005, 05:45 PM

maybe I'm deaf..........but ain't ever heard their song to have a melody be it in thier music or vocals........another example is mike patton's side projects......although I respect him very much.....some of his music is so experimental that there is no melody at all...just noises.sound effects and the such.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
On Probation

maybe I'm deaf..........but ain't ever heard their song to have a melody be it in thier music or vocals........another example is mike patton's side projects......although I respect him very much.....some of his music is so experimental that there is no melody at all...just noises.sound effects and the such.
OFFLINE |  
astoria's Avatar astoria
03-17-2005, 05:46 PM

but my definition of melody is something that rhymes and sticks to your head.you know........a particular chorus or a riff..etc.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
On Probation

but my definition of melody is something that rhymes and sticks to your head.you know........a particular chorus or a riff..etc.
OFFLINE |  
5th Eye's Avatar 5th Eye
03-17-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astoria
Mr. Bungle definitely has tons of melody in it. Odd noises, sound effects, yes, but also melody.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Quote:
Mr. Bungle definitely has tons of melody in it. Odd noises, sound effects, yes, but also melody.
03-17-2005, 06:28 PM

seriously man, listen to some noise artists like merzbow. people get caught up in melody and forget that there are plenty of other elements to a song. music is just structured sound.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Banned.

seriously man, listen to some noise artists like merzbow. people get caught up in melody and forget that there are plenty of other elements to a song. music is just structured sound.
OFFLINE |  
champion's Avatar champion
03-17-2005, 07:04 PM

you just have to try to dissect the style. there are countless ideas and concepts to cover in terms of sound, and not everything must be gentle. even so, there is plenty of ambient music that's very mellow without holding a sense of true melody [such as lustmord or tim hecker]. it's a difficult adjustment to make, but there is very much structure and song-writing with these particular songs than there are in any other songs, it's just less noticeable and buried.

Last edited by champion; 03-17-2005 at 07:53 PM..
Old 03-17-2005, 07:04 PM   #9
Banned.

you just have to try to dissect the style. there are countless ideas and concepts to cover in terms of sound, and not everything must be gentle. even so, there is plenty of ambient music that's very mellow without holding a sense of true melody [such as lustmord or tim hecker]. it's a difficult adjustment to make, but there is very much structure and song-writing with these particular songs than there are in any other songs, it's just less noticeable and buried.

Last edited by champion; 03-17-2005 at 07:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Faaip De Oiad's Avatar Faaip De Oiad
03-17-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
why would i want to listen to music labeled noise?
because Lustmord kicks ass :)
Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
because Lustmord kicks ass :)
03-17-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to prove this wrong. It's difficult.
See, a song is something with vocals. So that rules out Merzbow, or Pan Sonic, and it rules out ambient works by the likes of Brian Eno and Experimental Audio Research (all of whom have tracks without melody).
Fenensz' last album had a track with vocals by David Sylvian. It's all ambient-noise but it DOES have a melody.. A vocal melody.
I'm guessing spoken-word doesn't count...
Wait! I've got it! Most tracks by early Einsturzende Neubauten! They have plenty of rhythm, but no melody... But they have singing! Just.. Atonal, unmelodic singing! So technically, they're songs...
Most of the tracks on Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T. are good examples.
Quote:
Why wouldn't you? Why do you want us to answer that question for you - it's not something that CAN be answered, noise is like any other genre, it either appeals to you or it doesn't...
Do you like the intro to Stinkfist? That instrumental section of jimmy right after, "I am wide awake and heading home"? The intro to Third Eye Live (along with various other noise-sections of that song)? What about Faaip De Oiad*, that kicks ass, right?
If you do, at least some noise might appeal to you (the most accessable being Pan Sonic's Kesto or the aforementioned Einsturzende Neubauten.. And maybe Super AE by the Boredoms).
Quote:
Because Lustmord kicks ass :)
Too bad he's ambient.

As for this melody thing.. I think Tool illustrate Champion's point (that there is more to music than melody) brilliantly: Tool's melodies aren't particularly original or striking - it's the general SOUND and ATMOSPHRE of the band that appeals to most. Adam Jones and his guitar tones, for example, and that tribal drumming sound... Tool are expressive, but not just melodically expressive. A lot of their songs would suck if they weren't delivered in the exact way that they are.

*Actually my favourite track on Lateralus. No joke.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I'm trying to prove this wrong. It's difficult.
See, a song is something with vocals. So that rules out Merzbow, or Pan Sonic, and it rules out ambient works by the likes of Brian Eno and Experimental Audio Research (all of whom have tracks without melody).
Fenensz' last album had a track with vocals by David Sylvian. It's all ambient-noise but it DOES have a melody.. A vocal melody.
I'm guessing spoken-word doesn't count...
Wait! I've got it! Most tracks by early Einsturzende Neubauten! They have plenty of rhythm, but no melody... But they have singing! Just.. Atonal, unmelodic singing! So technically, they're songs...
Most of the tracks on Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T. are good examples.
Quote:
Why wouldn't you? Why do you want us to answer that question for you - it's not something that CAN be answered, noise is like any other genre, it either appeals to you or it doesn't...
Do you like the intro to Stinkfist? That instrumental section of jimmy right after, "I am wide awake and heading home"? The intro to Third Eye Live (along with various other noise-sections of that song)? What about Faaip De Oiad*, that kicks ass, right?
If you do, at least some noise might appeal to you (the most accessable being Pan Sonic's Kesto or the aforementioned Einsturzende Neubauten.. And maybe Super AE by the Boredoms).
Quote:
Because Lustmord kicks ass :)
Too bad he's ambient.

As for this melody thing.. I think Tool illustrate Champion's point (that there is more to music than melody) brilliantly: Tool's melodies aren't particularly original or striking - it's the general SOUND and ATMOSPHRE of the band that appeals to most. Adam Jones and his guitar tones, for example, and that tribal drumming sound... Tool are expressive, but not just melodically expressive. A lot of their songs would suck if they weren't delivered in the exact way that they are.

*Actually my favourite track on Lateralus. No joke.
03-18-2005, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I think what your saying is you want some catchy hooks, and I agree. Yes, almost everything, if not everything, has melody, but in many cases it is instantly forgettable or completely unrecognisable. Tool songs have always had catchy melodies, and I would put my life on it they wont disregard this.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:36 AM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 385

Quote:
I think what your saying is you want some catchy hooks, and I agree. Yes, almost everything, if not everything, has melody, but in many cases it is instantly forgettable or completely unrecognisable. Tool songs have always had catchy melodies, and I would put my life on it they wont disregard this.
03-18-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:
vocals are not necessary for something to be a song. EBA is all bass and guitar and that's still a song. everything i've ever written is mostly guitar and they're still songs. vocals do not make a song, melody does. as i said before, melody is merely the connection of more than one musical note put together.
he was being sarcastic.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 AM   #13
Banned.

Quote:
vocals are not necessary for something to be a song. EBA is all bass and guitar and that's still a song. everything i've ever written is mostly guitar and they're still songs. vocals do not make a song, melody does. as i said before, melody is merely the connection of more than one musical note put together.
he was being sarcastic.
OFFLINE |  
pacifister's Avatar pacifister
03-20-2005, 09:30 PM

This thread is such a headache.
music= organization of sound. THere are 8 aspects to music such as melody, rhythm, texture, volume (i'd have to look in my music theory textbook for the rest).

All music has some combination these things whether intentional or not. A cacophony of jumbled noise still has rhythm. One note over and over is still a melody

Melody= notes in succession

Even if a song seems as random as a clownshoe in church it still has melody
"Painting a picture, composing an opera, that's just something you do until you find the next willing piece of ass. The minute something better than sex comes along, you call me. Have me paged. For sure, even the worst blow job is better than say, sniffing the best rose...watching the greatest sunset. Hearing children laugh."
-Chuck P, Choke
Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

music= organization of sound. THere are 8 aspects to music such as melody, rhythm, texture, volume (i'd have to look in my music theory textbook for the rest).

All music has some combination these things whether intentional or not. A cacophony of jumbled noise still has rhythm. One note over and over is still a melody

"Painting a picture, composing an opera, that's just something you do until you find the next willing piece of ass. The minute something better than sex comes along, you call me. Have me paged. For sure, even the worst blow job is better than say, sniffing the best rose...watching the greatest sunset. Hearing children laugh."
-Chuck P, Choke
OFFLINE |  
Ashes-TO-Ashes's Avatar Ashes-TO-Ashes
03-20-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifister
I don't know why, but this is funny.

I sniff dirty panties
Destination: Van Nuys, CA
Old 03-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #15
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1864

Quote:
I don't know why, but this is funny.

I sniff dirty panties
Destination: Van Nuys, CA
OFFLINE |  
UtUmNo1's Avatar UtUmNo1
03-20-2005, 10:18 PM

The definintion for melody I 've found is, 'the pleasing succession or arrangement of sounds'.

Music doesn't have to have melody. It appears melody is subjective.

....then God is not dead.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:18 PM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 4207

The definintion for melody I 've found is, 'the pleasing succession or arrangement of sounds'.

Music doesn't have to have melody. It appears melody is subjective.

OFFLINE |  
UnholyBelligerence's Avatar UnholyBelligerence
03-21-2005, 02:42 AM

I think 'melody' is something people have made up to put meaning to sound.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

I think 'melody' is something people have made up to put meaning to sound.
03-21-2005, 03:03 AM

We make up everything to give it all meaning. The constant I've found while researching melody is 'pleasing' and 'succession of notes'.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:03 AM   #18
Level 12 - Scurrilous

We make up everything to give it all meaning. The constant I've found while researching melody is 'pleasing' and 'succession of notes'.

OFFLINE |  
03-21-2005, 03:05 AM

^Wherever you researched that its bullshit. Since when did melody become something that has to 'please' us.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:05 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

^Wherever you researched that its bullshit. Since when did melody become something that has to 'please' us.
03-21-2005, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.dictionary.com
mel·o·dy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ml-d)
n. pl. mel·o·dies
A pleasing succession or arrangement of sounds.
One location.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:07 AM   #20
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.dictionary.com
mel·o·dy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ml-d)
n. pl. mel·o·dies
A pleasing succession or arrangement of sounds.
One location.

OFFLINE |  
03-21-2005, 03:12 AM

Hah thats funny. I think that definition stinks.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:12 AM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Hah thats funny. I think that definition stinks.
03-21-2005, 03:20 AM

It might stink but I didn't make it up.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 AM   #22
Level 12 - Scurrilous

It might stink but I didn't make it up.

OFFLINE |  
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
03-21-2005, 03:21 AM

Well, why don't you re-write the dictionary and 'please' yourself.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:21 AM   #23
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Well, why don't you re-write the dictionary and 'please' yourself.
OFFLINE |  
03-21-2005, 03:25 AM

Heh, I just found that a bad definition thats all, re-writing the dictionary would mean I cant use my time making bullshit posts on here.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:25 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Heh, I just found that a bad definition thats all, re-writing the dictionary would mean I cant use my time making bullshit posts on here.
03-21-2005, 03:27 AM

go on, rewrite the dictionary.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:27 AM   #25
Level 12 - Scurrilous

go on, rewrite the dictionary.

OFFLINE |  
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
03-21-2005, 03:27 AM

Which would please me.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:27 AM   #26
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Which would please me.
OFFLINE |  
03-21-2005, 03:28 AM

I dont want to show the guys up anyway.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:28 AM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

I dont want to show the guys up anyway.
03-21-2005, 03:31 AM

Those Oxford guys?

Old 03-21-2005, 03:31 AM   #28
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Those Oxford guys?

OFFLINE |  
03-21-2005, 03:39 AM

Well, naturally.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:39 AM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, naturally.
03-21-2005, 06:37 AM

Quote:

i'll very much agree with this.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #30
Banned.

Quote:

i'll very much agree with this.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply