opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 01-23-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 39
What Do These Lines Mean?

"So good to see you.
I've missed you so much.
So glad it's over.
I've missed you so much
Came out to watch you play.
Why are you running?"

i'm having trouble figuring out what these lines mean. i think they stand out from the rest of the song because I sense maynard writing about some longing for human connection, when the rest of the song (in a nutshell) is about higher consciousness, acid trips, and third eyes. any thoughts

Last edited by AnemicRoyalty; 01-23-2003 at 07:30 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:25 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
I think this part is supposed to be about returning to that higher state of consciousness, and being glad to be there again. Or maybe, to use the human connection thing, he's glad to come back down to the rest of the world with everybody else.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:05 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Why would anybody be glad to come back down to the rest of the world? ;o)

Then again, being part of the consiousness of all humanbeings, must mean you're part of a higher state of consiousness. :o)
and those who matter don't mind.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:47 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Its probably somewhere along the lines of what has already been posted. If you know yourself well, when going through life, you can watch parts of yourself change. He probably lost some part of himself and went searching for it. Then it may have came out of nowhere, then recoiled, came back out, recoiled... Finally, he was able to find it and understand its role in his life.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:23 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Or maybe the lyrics just rhyemed?
Old 02-03-2003, 06:54 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

i think he's talking about his third eye
Old 02-04-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

... what I think they mean

I take it that Maynard is the voice of this song. He is the one who is telling us about his experience: the dream, the prying of his third eye... Since this part is in quotations I think that this is his third eye speaking to Maynard. It is as if he has just re-discovered it and while it is happy to be acknowleged again, he is afraid of the higher consciousness that it brings, of this lucid glimpse into his mind. So he runs away, afaid of the truth- ignorance is bliss, right. That's my take. I'd be happy to recieve feedback seeing that this is my first post.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166
read the books by carlos castaneda.. they have put this song into perspective for me..

every aspect of this song relates to his books..

i may be jumping to conclusions though, attempting to relate the things i hear to the things i read.. who knows?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by jpmanson
read the books by carlos castaneda.. they have put this song into perspective for me..

every aspect of this song relates to his books..

i may be jumping to conclusions though, attempting to relate the things i hear to the things i read.. who knows?
Those are pretty good books. His descriptions are great.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:47 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

A child's view

I think this song's all about seeing the world from a child's eyes, from a child's perspective, but with the knowledge of an adult. You see it with an innocent light but with an adult appreciation of it. Maybe these lines refer to the return to childhood, and ask everyone else why they are avoiding this state instead of embracing and appreciating it.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:48 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

I think these lines are some of the best of the whole song.

I believe myself that they are about re-visiting a past experience, either being the higher state of conciousness achieved through the use of psychedelics(or just the opening of the third eye) or feeling like a child again.

When I took LSD for the second time I felt this amazing sense of, well, sort of "coming home" I felt like I was somewhere I had been before, but not for a long time, and for so many years I had longed to be in that place, but didn't know where it was. And then finally I was there once again. I cannot explain it with words. The experience was amazing and beyond description. Like being a child again.

Although I can't put the meaning of these lines into words...I feel them. I know exactly what they are saying. This is one main reason why I love Tool so much. Some of the lyrics I can relate to so well, but I can't put them into words. I only feel them, and feel exactly what they mean. :-\
Old 02-16-2003, 03:48 AM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
Maybe it's something when you opened your third eye with drugs then try to get back to that experience without drugs, maybe meditation. Maynard is talking to his third eye to open once again, I guess.

"I've missed you so much" - the experience?
"So glad it's over" - over with drugs?
"Why are you running away" - meditation isn't good enough?

I don't know, just some thoughts.....
Old 02-17-2003, 08:49 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Just a thought but the one part of the song goes:

"Like phosphorescent desert buttons
singing one familiar song:

"So good to see you, i missed you so much. So glad it's over, i missed you so much. Came out to watch you play, why are you running away?""

(It's written in quotes like that on the t.d.n lyrics page.)

So, maybe it's the phosphorescent desert buttons (i.e. peyote cacti) speaking out to him on his return to that level of consciousness. And as the "trip" nears it's end, they call out to him...

I'm prolly completely wrong..
Old 02-17-2003, 04:40 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

TimothyLeary- I don't think you're wrong. I think your opinion could be right and I thought the same. In Carlos Castaneda's "Teachings of Don Juan" he says that during his peyote trips he encountered a being, an entity which he and Don Juan believed to be "Mescalito" I think, but am not sure because of foggy memory, that he said the eyes seemed familiar. I think maybe it is this entity, Mescalito that could be calling to him, saying "so good to see you.."

I know this is contradictory to my other post, but I'm merely offering my 2 cents on TimothyLeary's post.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:21 PM   #15
Disgruntled Postal Worker

Bincount™: 176
glad to see his third eye again.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Ok, someone's probably mentioned this before, but has anyone seen the Bill Hick's documentary "It's Just a Ride"? It appears on the Totally Bill Hicks video. At the end of the documantary, a comidiene (I forget her name!) says about Bill: -

"And I have to say, I know Bill has ascended and God has opened his doors and said 'I am so glad to see you, I've been missing you', you know what I mean? It's like God called his child home and told him to come in, it's time to play, you can have the best time and be who you wnat to be right here and now, forever. There's no censorship in heaven."

These were the exact words she said. Kinda resembles that little passage in the song. The documentary was made in 1994 (i.e. before Aenima). Am I right here, or am I completely missing the point??
Old 02-20-2003, 10:48 AM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
Wow! This gives new points of views..and brings new questions..

Well, those lines are in quotes so it kinda makes sense... somewhat. God is talking to him...? He's been "down that hole and back again"...found God again...? He sees God with his third eye? I don't know how the third eye links to that god-theme but that Bill Hicks's thing gave me alot more thinking.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 16
my own take

This is my own take, I think it's about a guy (I'm guessing) chasing and following someone throughout eternity through reincarnation. Never actually catching up with the girl.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:30 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

it all ties together

Prison Sex
jimmy
Third Eye
some others probably fit in there somewhere too

Maynard is molested
he represses memory
the memories start to come back to him