opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 08. 4 Degrees
User Name
Password
Old 12-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
"digging"

I wanted to say something profound about this song, but I reckon I'll hold off on that for just a while. Instead, I wanted to point out that some variant of "digging" occurs in at least two other Maynard-songs (though 1 isn't tOOl).

"I'll keep DIGGING 'til I feel something."
--Stinkfist
"Someone feed the monkey while I DIG in search of China"
--Weak and Powerless (APC)

Perhaps this provides some link between the three, such as a sex-theme. (OK, that's not an entirely profound discovery for Stinkfist, but perhaps it lends some additional meaning to Weak and Powerless.) Or, perhaps these are songs Maynard had more control over, and he was putting his signature on them.

There may be more, but I only had this epiphany today. I'd love it if others would kick in with other examples or possible interpretations of the "dig" link.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575
Re: "digging"

not the exact words, but in pushit you could draw the same conclude the same things
Old 01-08-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Digging is a metaphore, it's used in many ways than one...l don't think they're "connected" in some way at all...alot of people use the word dig, or digging as a metaphorical term for their own life.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166

It means to delve into, probe, go deeper. Simple as that. Methinks you're digging too deep when the answer is right on the surface.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:07 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
not the exact words, but in pushit you could draw the same conclude the same things
InnerCombustion,
I had noticed the link with "push it away" and "pushit," but I hadn't though too much of it. Perhaps it is worth looking into. To the others who responded, please rest assured that I'm not looking to unlock the grand secret of the cosmos via this thread. At the same time, though, word usage is an interesting phenomenon with writers/songwriters. I'd argue, for example, that Ginsberg's repetitive use of the word "machinery" likely did mean something, even possibly said something about either him or his art. I'm not "digging" here for any particularly (or particular) profound meaning; the two or so possible interpretations I threw out were very spur of the moment, just mind-foam.
Perhaps I'm really trying to convince myself of a need for a Tool concordance. LOL.

At any rate, other "digging"s or other repeated terms would still be welcomed.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: