opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Live » Concert Reviews: Spring 2012
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
kanaduh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,418
Bincount™: 45
01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre

*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
The Pot
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.
__________________
| 16-05-06 | 23-09-06 | 30-09-06 | 24-06-07 | 29-06-07 | 01-07-07 | 03-07-07 | 09-07-07 | 10-07-07 | 29-11-07 | 01-12-07 | 18-07-09 | 19-07-09 | 21-07-09 | 22-07-09 | 24-07-09 | 25-07-09 | 27-07-09 | 29-07-09 | 30-07-09 | 01-08-09 | 02-08-09 | 04-08-09 | 05-08-09 | 07-08-09 | 19-06-10 | 20-06-10 | 28-06-10 | 29-06-10 | 25-01-12 | 26-01-12 | 01-02-12 | 23-06-12 | 04-03-14 | 06-03-14 | 07-03-14 | 09-03-14 | 12-03-14 | 15-03-14 | 31-10-15 | 30-01-16 | 31-01-16 |

forty-six and two equals forty-eight

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-22-2012 at 07:06 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 501
Posts: 57
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Same setlist as the other shows except night 1. Ticks and Leeches... WOW. might do a better review when I'm on a computer but for now it's sleep time.
__________________
6-23-10 | 1-20-12 | 1-21-12
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker
 
toolgirly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The depths of hell
Posts: 46
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Much better tonight than last night.
__________________


O
|\ __O
_|_| \
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker
 
savagehenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 32
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Again great show!!! Set list was back to the same as beginning of tour. "Still love Texas." I really dig the new Schism opener. Its really refreshing and it reminded me of when I heard the second version of Pushit live for the first time back in '98...goosebumps!!! The whole band was on it. They pounded out a great show. Justin smiling a lot. Adam, well doing what Adam does best, Danny always a machine and Maynard in full copper outfit, playing with his brutality stick. No sound flurbs tonight, at least none that my ear caught. Last night i was in the top section Adam's side. Tonight I was lower 202 in front on Justin's side. It was great to experience the show from different perspectives. And thank you for the set change from the previous night. It was good to hear Ticks and The Pot. Again I was transported to that mystical place the band always sends me. Junior had the whole place in awe. Thanks man for giving such great visuals!!!!!! Hope the rest of the tour goes well and safe travels to all the fans i have met over the last two days. be kind...be well!!!
__________________
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
- Dr. Johnson
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Little Elm, Texas
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

I loved the show! 3rd row from the front, right in front of Justin. He looked like he had a great time. Visual effects were awesome, sound was great. First time in Verizon Theater. Very intimate comfy show. Tool puts on a mind bending experience! Second time seeing them. I'm glad i got to see them so up close in their prime!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

This was my first Tool show, I was blown away by the quality of the sound even sitting about 5 rows from the top dead center. However I think the vocals could have been turned up a tad, my girlfriend who has never really listened to Tool complained about not being to even hear them in certain parts.

Also, I was curious if sitting in different locations provided a more 'engulfing' sound experience, I felt from where I was sitting that it was a tad low.

Overall having now been a fan 7 years, I have a deeper appreciation for the passion and talent of Tool. Was especially blown away by 46 & 2, the drum buildup was outstanding.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: EARTH MIDDLE EARTH
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

havent missed a show in 12 years..im 26 now. . i was the guy with the SHARK JAWS shirt on walking around experiencing this set-list from all ANGLEZ. . but i was balcony most of the time.. this is my 3rd time seeing them at VERIZON in TEXAS.. everyone always loves TEXAS shows- oh and cant forget the KANSAS CITY SHOWS...these are usually the best on tour..if you missed a KCMO show, shame shame , or the TEXAS show, wow!! People from PAKISTAN<EUROPE<JAPAN came to TEXAS this week to see the DOUBLE DOWN TEXAS SHoWDOWN.. this show started amazing and it kept peaking...but Hooker w. a PENIS is one my FAVS... LATERALUS and AENIMA WWOW! only seen one person rush the PIT! lol.. fastest dude i that place i promise you, he bolted straight out of the 2nd seating section, next to the dancing dredlock guy! this SET LIST was segued with emotion and TOOL JAM time.... im in upper DALLAS - ziggy out! peace and love - prying open my third eye 972 302 2272 if you wanto to jam or jam to TOOL!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

I'm just gonna re-post what I said about last night... with appropriate tweaks. After last night it was just eating me up that I wasn't going to tonight's show... soooooo, fuck it, I spent the day staring at CList and made it!

Maynard was turned up [again], and man was he killin' it tonight! Best Tool concert of the [5] I've seen [along with last night, just a little different :D]. [These were the ones] that redeemed all the awful to just-ok sound from previous ones. '98 was the worst sound wise but the one I always wanted a do-over on, and I thought I'd never get a chance to hear some of those songs again. Hooker-- killed it, felt like I was 18 again :-D [glad to see you still have a little anger in there MJ ;-D]. Pushit, oh man, I teared up-- killed it and he held all the notes [but last night was the only one I'm aware of so far that Maynard sang the "starin' down the hole again" verse, I feel so lucky! I thought Ticks was a fine tradeoff for Sober, and was better appreciated in studio-- FUCK NO! SOOO glad I found a ticket for tonight.] Can't believe I got to finally see and HEAR these live!

Maynard really does love Dallas ["Still in Texas"], he was hitting notes, holding notes, and putting his diaphragm into it, and the tone was wonderful, cool little flourishes and vocal tweaks that were fresh and added to the songs instead of seeming like compensations.

AND THEN... [The Pot] I about shit. Never got to hear that live before at all, sounded so amazing, Maynard hit all the vocals on the"eyeyeyeeee" stuff which was fucking electrifying. The guest drummer was actually a badass [still] on Lateralus, too, so the drum off didn't feel like a waste of time-- loved it, [and he deserved that box of toothpicks.] And to wrap it up, Maynard wailed on AEnima [again] with great vocals, nothing was missing, and I love the flourishes on "any fucking dayyyyyyy/Arizona bayyyyyy!"

I of course want to give props to the rest of the guys cause they all did a great job, too, and they always do, but the whole band was really amazing [both nights].

There was definitely a pretty long jam in there that sounded like a new song riff, btw, probably a good 2 minutes. [Nah, just a really sick Schism intro :-p ]

Maynard was into it, laid back, joking, groovin' to the music like he gave a fuck [though especially last night!]. It felt like I'd (or he'd) gone back in time [twice in one weekend.]

THANK YOU SOUND GUYS FOR FIXING THE MIX and THANK YOU MAYNARD FOR NOT HOLDING BACK!

JUNIOR-- Thanks again man, 1 night wasn't enough to take it all in!

OH and to top it off, the ticket I found on CList was for lower 203 toward the center, at face! Best sound of the 3 spots I stood the last three nights, and definitely the best deal on craigslist all day! Man I woulda been in a funk had I not gone, especially when I found out about the setlist. Whewwwwww.

So broke, [and even broker now-- took everything in me not to buy a shirt or posters, but the shows were worth every penny. As far as Tool goes, I can die happy now :-D.]

Last edited by Laddermalice; 01-21-2012 at 10:41 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

7th time seeing Tool and the 3rd Tool Show i have seen in the past 4 days. Hooker with a penis was a great opener. Maynard's voice sounded fresh and picked up right where he had left off Friday night. Similar setlist from the previous night. Schism's intro was nice and subtle. Not to mention the Double time for it was phenomenal. The visuals during that double time was very well put together. Ticks and Leeches and Pushit really set the tone tonight. I really liked when Adam and Justin came together around for Ticks aand Leeches. Pushit was very emotional and Maynard put his heart and soul into the lyrics. The band really came together at that point and it was no turning back from there. The only thing i wish they would have done was play Intention straight into Right in Two. But none the less i am not sad with hearing 46&2. No complaints from me from being blessed to hear everything i have heard from both the nights combined. It was amazing to hear songs they haven't played in about a decade from Friday and Saturday combined. Not to mention seeing them in New Mexico as well. It has been a hell of a 4 days and definitely made me "embrace this moment". Would have rather heard 3rd eye to lead into the intermission than the pot. I thought The Pot was played very well, and Justin was bobbing his hard head to the beat right before he came into his section after Maynard's vocals during the pot. Ænema is always a great ender and gets the crowd going nutz! Maynard sung it beautifully and the last scream was on point and sounded very full. Could not have asked for a better 4 days, and couldn't ask for better songs to hear than what i witnessed. Great production and visuals all around. Don't even need my third eye to be opened up to witness the beauty of what was taken place. Grateful and astounded. Sprial out
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 4
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Guy's stayed up late and polished those sound settings! Had upper middle balcony lasnight, lower left tonight. I agree, the ability to see the show from different perspectives was a treat! My wife was right there with me headbanging, fist pumping, and screaming at the top of her lungs! I loved Ticks! My wife wanted to hear Sober again, but she got over it! Junior, your timing is astounding! That was a visual experience, and thank you! Speaking of astounding timing! Damn Danny, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU? I wish I were half as good as that man! Maybe it was the sou d arrangement, but Maynard was absolutely spine chilling tonight. The subtle tones that most people wouldn't notice, were so clearly definable, it was like listings to the songs for the first time! Time for that feeling again, I can't wait for their new material, it's like a kid waiting for his birthday!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aledo, Texas
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

With my concert cherry freshly popped, I don't expect it could get any better than that.
Never in a million years did I think I would get to hear my favorit songs (the top most layer of them anyway) sung from the beautiful mouth of Maynard. Holy Mother of Goodness my life is complete. Although, and pretty much everyone will disagree with me, I don't really like smoke of cannibus being blown my way everytime I inhale. As if having allergies wasn't enough? Anyway, shirts acquired by my old drum major and chest still throbbing with the deep rythms of bass- tasty, tasty bass. :d Maynard and friends, your music is, as usual, beautiful.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: tx
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

4th Tool show...first in 98, then 06, and 10. By far the best. Maybe would have enjoyed it a little better if the guy behind me didn't insist on reciting the lyrics, out of key and out of time, at the top of his god damned lungs. oh well.

Went with a friend that had never seen them. He was thoroughly impressed. Was a great night overall. Definately the most memorable show from Tool that I've seen. The band performed well and the production was fantastic overall.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 55
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

My dozen'th or so show...and it was great. One of the best since the first I saw back in 2001. I think there were five songs I'd never seen live before, so the setlist was a big surprise. Sound was outstanding, light show was excellent. Intronaut was quite good in the opening slot.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Eulogy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 640
Bincount™: 13
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

My 6th time seeing them(glad i got to be at both shows!) had FANTASTIC seats, section 104, five rows from Adam which was great because i got to be mesmerized by his playing. I'd say the energy from both nights was about the same which is always at a high. I expected they'd play most of the same songs, but they actually played TICKS AND LEECHES annnnd THE POT(got the teaser the 1st night), so i'm really happy i got to be there both times. Maynard was dressed in his typical black leather cop outfit w/night stick and i guess he got too hot because he changed into his oufit from the 1st night during the break(he's still sexy either way!) Danny was in his usual Lakers jersey,and Adam/Justin were looking the same(except Justin cut his beautiful locks off!) Anyways..onto specific things:

-a few lyric changes here and there and some indistinguishable words at times
-new intro to Schism
-left a few lines out of pushit(both nights)
-great drum battle during Lateralus(the best i've seen so far)
-almost complete silence duirng Intension both nights which was chilling
-the best visuals i've seen so far, very enthralling
-I ALMOST caught Adam's pic..the guy right next to me grabbed it off the ground..SO CLOSE :(
-I was able to buy both posters each night and love how they mesh together, it will be a great edition to my collection

Overall i give these shows a great rating, it was what i expected and more. They never fail to impress me and leave me with a euphoric feeling(even if i didn't smoke!) and i can tell that they really love coming to Dallas because we are some of the greatest and passionate fans they have. I saw APC in the summer, Puscifer in Dec, and TOOL in Jan..couldn't get any better than that.
__________________
"Think for yourself, question authority"-Timothy Leary
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy33 View Post
My 6th time seeing them(glad i got to be at both shows!) had FANTASTIC seats, section 104, five rows from Adam which was great because i got to be mesmerized by his playing. I'd say the energy from both nights was about the same which is always at a high. I expected they'd play most of the same songs, but they actually played TICKS AND LEECHES annnnd THE POT(got the teaser the 1st night), so i'm really happy i got to be there both times. Maynard was dressed in his typical black leather cop outfit w/night stick and i guess he got too hot because he changed into his oufit from the 1st night during the break(he's still sexy either way!) Danny was in his usual Lakers jersey,and Adam/Justin were looking the same(except Justin cut his beautiful locks off!) Anyways..onto specific things:

-a few lyric changes here and there and some indistinguishable words at times
-new intro to Schism
-left a few lines out of pushit(both nights)
-great drum battle during Lateralus(the best i've seen so far)
-almost complete silence duirng Intension both nights which was chilling
-the best visuals i've seen so far, very enthralling
-I ALMOST caught Adam's pic..the guy right next to me grabbed it off the ground..SO CLOSE :(
-I was able to buy both posters each night and love how they mesh together, it will be a great edition to my collection

Overall i give these shows a great rating, it was what i expected and more. They never fail to impress me and leave me with a euphoric feeling(even if i didn't smoke!) and i can tell that they really love coming to Dallas because we are some of the greatest and passionate fans they have. I saw APC in the summer, Puscifer in Dec, and TOOL in Jan..couldn't get any better than that.
I could have sworn he sang "starin' down the hole again, hands are on my back again, survival is my only friend, terrified of what may come" on Friday night, cause I was listening for it and was thrilled cause I'd heard he hadn't been singing it. Though he didn't Saturday. Can anyone else confirm or correct this?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
damnfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: okc
Posts: 315
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

I had section 406 seats the first night and was in the 205 section for this show. It was much better for me visually and auditory wise the second night. I got a signed poster the first night after standing in line three different times getting to the front and being told that they hadn't come out yet. The second night I bought a un-signed poster. I took $40 out of an atm walked up to a chick that had one and asked if she'd part with it for an extra $10 so I didn't have to wait in line. Lucky for me she obliged. No one has said anything about Intronaut suprisingly I thought they were pretty good. The openers always seem to be just a little muddy but I think I'll definitely check out their stuff. Tonights show on their final song they brought Justin out and he was wearing some sort of crazy chaps/pants camouflage type things. One guitarist went and joined the drummer on a second set so there was two bassist and two drummers on stage. They just jammed out all together for awhile no lyrics, towards the end Justin just plopped down in front of the drums indian style and was eating something just rocking out. I'm really hoping the new intro for Schism is something were going to see on the next album. I love it the whole sound and feel of it is great. Maynards vocals seemed to get lost every now and then in the mix behind the band but for the most part everything sounded great. Pushit was a definite highlight for me on both nights just sounds amazing. I always think they should close with Lateralus when I hear it end in that awesome build up but Aenima has really grown on me in that spot. When everything slows and hits that spot with "I'm praying for rain..." every one singing with it I close my eyes goosebumps wash over me and I just feel pure bliss. I've seen stinkfist 46&2 Schism all 8 times I've seen Tool and as much as I would love to see other things in their place when you're sitting there watching them live with all the visuals and the crowd just swaying to it you know why they stay part of the set. Can't wait to catch the next shows this was an awesome experience as usual.
__________________
08/30/06 Englewood,CO Coors Ampitheater, 05/08/2007 Albuquerque,NM Tingley Coliseum, 11/19/2007 Tulsa,OK Tulsa Convention Center,07/18/09 Denver,CO MileHighMusicFestival, 06/23/10 Oklahoma City,OK Ford Center, 06/28/10 Morrison,CO Red Rocks, 01/20/12 Grand Prairie,TX Verizon Theater, 01/21/12 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theater, 01/16/2016 Tulsa, OK BOK Center, 10/26/2016 Denver, CO Pepsi Center, 10/28/2016 Little Rock,AR Verizon Arena
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfool View Post
When everything slows and hits that spot with "I'm praying for rain..." every one singing with it I close my eyes goosebumps wash over me and I just feel pure bliss.
There is something amazing about that moment and that line when you know it's the end of show and you want to just absorb every emotion of that last bit and know you're surrounded by people who love it all too.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddermalice View Post
I could have sworn he sang "starin' down the hole again, hands are on my back again, survival is my only friend, terrified of what may come" on Friday night, cause I was listening for it and was thrilled cause I'd heard he hadn't been singing it. Though he didn't Saturday. Can anyone else confirm or correct this?
I almost certain he didn't sing it either night. That's my absolute favorite set of lyrics, and I was so stoked because it was my first time to hear Pushit live. I was slightly let down, but great nonetheless.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Eulogy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 640
Bincount™: 13
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbck79 View Post
I almost certain he didn't sing it either night. That's my absolute favorite set of lyrics, and I was so stoked because it was my first time to hear Pushit live. I was slightly let down, but great nonetheless.
yea, i kinda got the same feeling because those lyrics build up the ending. Maybe he wanted the audience to sing it while he felt the emotion.
__________________
"Think for yourself, question authority"-Timothy Leary
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Eulogy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 640
Bincount™: 13
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfool View Post
I had section 406 seats the first night and was in the 205 section for this show. It was much better for me visually and auditory wise the second night. I got a signed poster the first night after standing in line three different times getting to the front and being told that they hadn't come out yet. The second night I bought a un-signed poster. I took $40 out of an atm walked up to a chick that had one and asked if she'd part with it for an extra $10 so I didn't have to wait in line. Lucky for me she obliged. No one has said anything about Intronaut suprisingly I thought they were pretty good. The openers always seem to be just a little muddy but I think I'll definitely check out their stuff. Tonights show on their final song they brought Justin out and he was wearing some sort of crazy chaps/pants camouflage type things. One guitarist went and joined the drummer on a second set so there was two bassist and two drummers on stage. They just jammed out all together for awhile no lyrics, towards the end Justin just plopped down in front of the drums indian style and was eating something just rocking out. I'm really hoping the new intro for Schism is something were going to see on the next album. I love it the whole sound and feel of it is great. Maynards vocals seemed to get lost every now and then in the mix behind the band but for the most part everything sounded great. Pushit was a definite highlight for me on both nights just sounds amazing. I always think they should close with Lateralus when I hear it end in that awesome build up but Aenima has really grown on me in that spot. When everything slows and hits that spot with "I'm praying for rain..." every one singing with it I close my eyes goosebumps wash over me and I just feel pure bliss. I've seen stinkfist 46&2 Schism all 8 times I've seen Tool and as much as I would love to see other things in their place when you're sitting there watching them live with all the visuals and the crowd just swaying to it you know why they stay part of the set. Can't wait to catch the next shows this was an awesome experience as usual.
lol crazy justin. He was eating a banana, an apple, and possibly yogurt
__________________
"Think for yourself, question authority"-Timothy Leary
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre

I first saw the guys play in KC back in high school, 2003 or 2004 Lateralus tour I believe. Totally virgin ears, too - I'd never even sat down and listened to an entire album. Needless to say, my cherry was fully-popped.

Seen them maybe 6 times since, even took a road-trip from TX to CA to see them open the 10,000 days tour at Coachella. Still, I think the Jan. 21st show even trumped that concert, hands down. Our-door venues are great and all, but I feel like TOOL really shines in a more intimate kind of setting. You need a space where you're able to soak up as much of the intricate sound as possible, and be completely entranced by the visuals as well. Verizon Theatre was perfect for that. Lots of pre-show bitching from people about them not playing at the AA Center downtown which seats 15,000+ people during concerts, but the sound is absolute shit by comparison.

As for the Visuals - they used a lot of art I hadn't seen since that very first concert in 2003, and it blew me away - again. Completely transcendent spiritual journey, from the murky depths to the soaring heights and round and round again. Also bought the Jan 20-21 posters, which fit together, and they're printed on scaled paper - best money I've spent on artwork in a long while.

QUESTION. Near the end of the show (wish I could remember which song, I was trancing out hard), a bright gold and green mandala symbol was projected behind Danny that grew bigger, and rotated around. I've never seen it before. If ANYONE has a picture of that mandala sign or knows anything about it, let loose your secrets!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Eulogy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 640
Bincount™: 13
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidshaman View Post
I first saw the guys play in KC back in high school, 2003 or 2004 Lateralus tour I believe. Totally virgin ears, too - I'd never even sat down and listened to an entire album. Needless to say, my cherry was fully-popped.

Seen them maybe 6 times since, even took a road-trip from TX to CA to see them open the 10,000 days tour at Coachella. Still, I think the Jan. 21st show even trumped that concert, hands down. Our-door venues are great and all, but I feel like TOOL really shines in a more intimate kind of setting. You need a space where you're able to soak up as much of the intricate sound as possible, and be completely entranced by the visuals as well. Verizon Theatre was perfect for that. Lots of pre-show bitching from people about them not playing at the AA Center downtown which seats 15,000+ people during concerts, but the sound is absolute shit by comparison.

As for the Visuals - they used a lot of art I hadn't seen since that very first concert in 2003, and it blew me away - again. Completely transcendent spiritual journey, from the murky depths to the soaring heights and round and round again. Also bought the Jan 20-21 posters, which fit together, and they're printed on scaled paper - best money I've spent on artwork in a long while.

QUESTION. Near the end of the show (wish I could remember which song, I was trancing out hard), a bright gold and green mandala symbol was projected behind Danny that grew bigger, and rotated around. I've never seen it before. If ANYONE has a picture of that mandala sign or knows anything about it, let loose your secrets!
my friend took a vid that has it in it, i'll try to get a youtube like or something. That was really awesome when they showed that.
__________________
"Think for yourself, question authority"-Timothy Leary
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW of Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle88 View Post
This was my first Tool show, I was blown away by the quality of the sound even sitting about 5 rows from the top dead center. However I think the vocals could have been turned up a tad, my girlfriend who has never really listened to Tool complained about not being to even hear them in certain parts.

Also, I was curious if sitting in different locations provided a more 'engulfing' sound experience, I felt from where I was sitting that it was a tad low.

Overall having now been a fan 7 years, I have a deeper appreciation for the passion and talent of Tool. Was especially blown away by 46 & 2, the drum buildup was outstanding.
This was my 5th TOOL show and my husband's 4th. We were more in the middle, section 306 and there were vocals issues in the first few songs, like there was a problem going from the megaphone to regular vocals. I am not a vocalist, sound engineer or in any way vocally or musically gifted, all I can do is listen and enjoy and this was all in all a very good TOOL show, although my husband and I do long for the days when Maynard was not hiding in the shadows.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker
 
ToolFanFromWayBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 28
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlilsewsew View Post
This was my 5th TOOL show and my husband's 4th. We were more in the middle, section 306 and there were vocals issues in the first few songs, like there was a problem going from the megaphone to regular vocals. I am not a vocalist, sound engineer or in any way vocally or musically gifted, all I can do is listen and enjoy and this was all in all a very good TOOL show, although my husband and I do long for the days when Maynard was not hiding in the shadows.
I noticed that Maynard's vocals cut in and out during both shows and from different angles. Not sure if it was a mixing problem or if there were times that Maynard wasn't singing, but I did notice that his vocals would come on very strong at times and then be non-existent at others.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 223
Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre

good show all around, made it to the first 6 of the tour, boys are soundin good.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

Powered by: vBulletin 3.8.7 Patch Level 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.