opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Live » Concert Reviews: Spring 2012
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
kanaduh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,408
Bincount™: 45
02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.
__________________
| 16-05-06 | 23-09-06 | 30-09-06 | 24-06-07 | 29-06-07 | 01-07-07 | 03-07-07 | 09-07-07 | 10-07-07 | 29-11-07 | 01-12-07 | 18-07-09 | 19-07-09 | 21-07-09 | 22-07-09 | 24-07-09 | 25-07-09 | 27-07-09 | 29-07-09 | 30-07-09 | 01-08-09 | 02-08-09 | 04-08-09 | 05-08-09 | 07-08-09 | 19-06-10 | 20-06-10 | 28-06-10 | 29-06-10 | 25-01-12 | 26-01-12 | 01-02-12 | 23-06-12 | 04-03-14 | 06-03-14 | 07-03-14 | 09-03-14 | 12-03-14 | 15-03-14 | 31-10-15 | 30-01-16 | 31-01-16 |

forty-six and two equals forty-eight

Last edited by kanaduh; 02-04-2012 at 06:18 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Toolgrrrrl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 28
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

One word AMAZING, had a great view from right behind the soundboard. They were on point, maynard even sang the part of pushit he's been omitting. How awesome was that graphics/video/laser show before aenima?! ah it doesn't get much better than that, this was my 4th time seeing them through the years and i think they just keep getting better, if you haven't seen them GO ALREADY what are you waiting for?!

Got myself the fish lithograph and a keychain inside, and scored a $10 t-shirt outside on the way to the car.

As i was leaving the show there were a few kids walking out too with their parents, couldn't have been older than 10, and the youngest one who was probably no older than 7 had one of the drumsticks, i was like how did you get that, he said they gave it to him, i said you're one lucky kid, musta been front row. ah the next generation of fans, warms my heart.

Did anyone else notice the video recorder on the tripod at the soundbooth, wonder what thats about, perhaps for a dvd?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Hooker With a Penis
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism (With new intro)
Intension
46 & 2
Lateralus (With the drum duet)
Aenema

This was my 3rd time seeing Tool, and my first time seeing them at the Hampton Coliseum. I didn't catch the name of the opening band, but they were a sludge/doom metal band. They went on promptly at 8, and played 4 or 5 songs, and were done by 8:30. I thought they were actually pretty good, and the crowd seemed to be into them, or at least were polite about it. Only complaint was that the bass was turned up way too loud, which drowned out the guitar and vocals. Maybe that's their style; I don't know, but when I feel the bass in my throat, that's too loud for my liking. Anyway...

Tool took the stage right around 9, and launched into their set.

Hooker With A Penis - Great opener, and it seemed to get the crowd excited right off the bat. I could be wrong, but I think Maynard changed "...sips of Coke" to "...sluprs of cock," which I thought was brilliant. The lights flashed on the crowd during "Buy buy buy my new record," which was great, since inevitably, we all will. Can't wait.

Jambi - Really glad this one's still in the setlist. Not much to add; it's a great song.

(-) Ions - Not really a song, but a cool little visual nonetheless.

Stinkfist - The crowd went nuts for this one. I sort of got the feeling that Maynard is kind of tired of singing it, but maybe that's just me. It's one of those songs I could either take or leave when it comes to a setlist, but it's a fan favorite, and a good song, so no complaints.

Sober - Crowd loved this one too. The band still seems to like playing it as well, so that's cool. This was my buddy's first Tool show, and he seemed really jazzed to hear it, which made me happy to hear it as well.

Pushit - I was hoping for a bit more of the Salival version, as other reviews said that they're doing kind of a fusion. It still was, but they didn't really slow it down like I expected. Still a great song; I'd just love to hear them play it Salival-style, if they ever do that again.

Schism - Dug the new intro. Hopefully it's a little taste of things to come, but if not, it's still a cool jam moment. The visuals during this one were pretty awesome as well.

Intension - Nice visual feast. Left some of the crowd a bit restless, but people were still at least respectful for the most part.

46 & 2 - Man, what a great live song. The visuals really kick into high gear here. If this one stays firmly on the setlist for years to come, I'll be a very happy fanboy.

Lateralus - Outstanding. Definitely the highlight of the show, for me. The guest drummer was named Travis; I'm assuming from the opening band. Don't know his last name; sorry. This was the only time Maynard really said anything from the stage, and all he said was, "Travis, where are you?" before Travis came on, and "Thank you, Travis" when he left. Travis held his own, and Danny shook his hand afterwards. Nice to see the mutual respect among artists. Anyway, the visuals here are outstanding. And damn is this a great live song.

Aenema - Solid closer, nice visuals. The entire band came to the front of the stage and gave out guitar picks and drumsticks, etc. and waved to the crowd. Nice to see Maynard come to the front and acknowledge the crowd a bit. He wasn't particularly chatty this show, but he seemed to be into it at any rate. There were a fair amount of cellphones and camera throughout their set, so I was a little worried that might piss him off, but he seemed ok. I say that only because after they played the Richmond Coliseum a few years back, he made it a point to thank the crowd for making it easier for him by not recording with their cellphones all all of that, and I want Tool to enjoy coming to Virginia.

All in all, it was a great show. I've never been let down by a Tool show, and this was no exception. And I got to introduce a friend to his first Tool show, which is always a cool thing, as I know we all remember our first. The setlist was pretty balanced between Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days, which is perfect in my book. Would love to hear them do more from Opiate, but they were a different band back then, and maybe it's out of respect for Paul that they don't play many songs from those early albums. I had hoped to hear Ticks and Leechs instead of Sober, but I can't complain. Everybody else wanted to hear Sober apparently, so who am I to judge or strike them down? Goes without saying, but if you're on the fence about going to see Tool, buy the ticket and take the ride. You'll be glad you did.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Ninth time seeing the band, going back to '91.

I can remember when Tool was The Maynard Show, as he was always the focal point and main contributor to any live show through the Aenema tour.

This show seemed almost a full change from the old days, as Maynard has become almost insignificant to the show. But the band and the music have never been better. I can honestly say that this was musically the best I've ever seen the band. Justin and Danny in particular seem to be gelling and playing off each other like 2 guys who have been doing this for 20 years should.

I was looking forward to Ticks, so was a little disappointed. Sober seemed played out, but the newbies in the crowd dug it. Going in, I was least looking forward to Pushit and Intension, but these were honestly two of the high points of the set. The groove they set during each of these songs was extraordinary. Power and beauty exemplified.

Some posters in previous reviews have slagged on Maynard for seeming like he didn't want to be part of the Tool anymore. It's hard to tell, as he's had the same onstage demeanor for the last decade now. But I did find myself thinking during and after the show that Maynard could be replaced, and none of the power of Tool would be lost. He just doesn't seem integral to the band anymore. I never thought I would think something like that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker
 
ironchefchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 27
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

not much to add but i have a few opinions...

-the visuals were outstanding with the different screens goin in and out and the evolution as they show went was pretty cool
-this was the best i've seen them play as a unit (my 5th show). dannys work with volto might explain how good that guys gotten
-sound was on point and so was maynards voice. great use of effects and choosing his lines carefully from song to song
-the songs had little changes that made the songs a bit more interesting for longtime listeners;
...jambi: end of the talk box solo was a bit off, but the band saved it nicely. i love seeing moments like this, shows how good they are
...stinkfist: adam played some sparse arpeggiated notes instead of chopping away wit hthe chords as per usual which i really liked during a few parts
...sober: one of the best of the night actually, they added some length to it and danny destroyed this song during the end and i noticed adam walk over to him after and give him props...pretty cool
...pushit was sort of a hybrid and was excellent
...the "intro jam" to schism was weak. i was lookin forward to it, but it's basically like a 4 chord progression with dynamic changes. cool but, it's tool. someone take a solo!
...schism was great, i still love the added part in it and visually i think this song is tremendous

-lateralus can go away. i love the song, but its getting old and the drum stuff is pretty boring. girl next to me rubbed her boobs during it for some reason. strange.
-also, i think tool is making a joke with the openers they pick. i'm in a band and i hope to never be asked to open for them b/c it might mean we suck haha. "Yob" is just not good.

all in all a great show, just thought i'd write a few things i noticed or didn't dig. hoping they release some new stuff soon
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Toolgrrrrl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 28
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore-D View Post
Ninth time seeing the band, going back to '91.

I can remember when Tool was The Maynard Show, as he was always the focal point and main contributor to any live show through the Aenema tour.

This show seemed almost a full change from the old days, as Maynard has become almost insignificant to the show. But the band and the music have never been better. I can honestly say that this was musically the best I've ever seen the band. Justin and Danny in particular seem to be gelling and playing off each other like 2 guys who have been doing this for 20 years should.

I was looking forward to Ticks, so was a little disappointed. Sober seemed played out, but the newbies in the crowd dug it. Going in, I was least looking forward to Pushit and Intension, but these were honestly two of the high points of the set. The groove they set during each of these songs was extraordinary. Power and beauty exemplified.

Some posters in previous reviews have slagged on Maynard for seeming like he didn't want to be part of the Tool anymore. It's hard to tell, as he's had the same onstage demeanor for the last decade now. But I did find myself thinking during and after the show that Maynard could be replaced, and none of the power of Tool would be lost. He just doesn't seem integral to the band anymore. I never thought I would think something like that.
no way man they'll never find another voice like maynards
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
the inside man
 
blair's man sausage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tangopads Bitches
Posts: 6,356
Bincount™: 20548
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

The sound was great, MJK wasn't feeling very talkative.

Had sex in the parking lot while waiting for traffic to disperse. Good show, good times.
__________________
You are now responsible for my impending suicide. -- BeLIEve
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: virginia
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

This was without a doubt the worst TOOL show of the 14 that i have seen. Maynard was non energetic. He skiiped the last verse during Pushit, he ran off stage several times and just looked not intersted in putting on a show for the people that payed good money to see this. He obviously doesnt care about TOOL anymore. It is time for them to hang it up. They have been doing the same show for 10 years, and it keeps getting shorter and shorter. I mean you play 10 songs and inbetween the last two songs you have a Ten minute intermission. COME ON MAN!!!! On a positive note Danny may be 50 but he continues to get better and faster on the drums. He is incredible. Othe than that this show was boring predictable and stale.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Toolgrrrrl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 28
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair's man sausage View Post
The sound was great, MJK wasn't feeling very talkative.

Had sex in the parking lot while waiting for traffic to disperse. Good show, good times.
wow u got to see tool and get laid, thats a win win
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebunnies View Post
This was without a doubt the worst TOOL show of the 14 that i have seen. Maynard was non energetic. He skiiped the last verse during Pushit, he ran off stage several times and just looked not intersted in putting on a show for the people that payed good money to see this. He obviously doesnt care about TOOL anymore. It is time for them to hang it up. They have been doing the same show for 10 years, and it keeps getting shorter and shorter. I mean you play 10 songs and inbetween the last two songs you have a Ten minute intermission. COME ON MAN!!!! On a positive note Danny may be 50 but he continues to get better and faster on the drums. He is incredible. Othe than that this show was boring predictable and stale.
next time save your money and dont go!.. by "intermission" you mean the most mind boggling effects anyone could ever put in front of you.. ?? he only left the stage for the drummer to be in the spot light and during the "intermission" which was kickA$$!! he greeted the crowd at the end.. this is your opinion and you are entitled to it.. my perception was much different..

Last edited by stepintotheshadow; 02-06-2012 at 09:49 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

This was the BEST Tool show that i have seen... Maynard really put his energy into the songs and became one with the crowd... sure, he didnt speak much but he never does.. i would rather see him in his 'zone' and perform than listen to him chat.. thats the reason i am there.. if i want to chat.. maybe i will run into him sometime.. ;)

it was incredible watching people pay $130 for a signed poster... more power to ya.. i cant afford it.. but if you can.. i support you for supporting them..

Lateralus was my high point.. the set list was amazing.. sound was amazing.. worth every dime..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Want to point out that in Lateralus he said "moron" instead of "human" as in:

'swing on the spiral of our divinity and, still be a ....morooooooooon' followed by awesome solo.

I had much more fun when I saw Tool in Baton Rouge 3-4 times they came around there. Virginians....well...they fucking suck. Present company excluded.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Funny--its almost as if during the entire show the security were giant dicks and once Tool was offstage they didn't give a shit.
My best buddy Tim literally walked right past security onto the stage and got bot Danny and MJK's stage setlist they used for the show.
I posted the stage setlist on fourth eye for all to see, I am a happy boy. I don't hear often about people managing to grab stage set lists from Tool shows. . .this one is getting framed--No interest in selling for any price.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 14
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

This show was amazing! After "Hooker with a Penis" Maynard said, "Is everybody here?" and I knew that he was gonna have a good night. I think his voice is sounding very good now. He sang bits of the "Staring down the hole again" part. Like the first couple words of that line and "Survival." He was having a good time. He was moving a bit with the music and seemed into it. He really belted out a lot of stuff too.

I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get Ticks... I wonder if they're done with that for this tour? Sober sounded really good though. I always wish that they'd play for longer, but that's not gonna happen, and it's probably better to keep people wanting more.

Adam, Justin, and Danny are all amazing. Maynard waved to the crowd for a while from his platform at the end, then fist pounded Danny and left. Visuals were amazing. Their show really builds so much visually. The green lasers at the "tidal waves" part in Aenima are amazing. Love the red and yellow lasers/lights coming in at the "red and yellow then came to be" part of Lateralus.

I honestly think that some people on this forum are being too critical of these shows. Maynard stands in the shadows. So what? He has done that for a long time, and I don't see why it matters much. Nothing about the show was "phoned in." Schism and 26 & 2 both sounded so alive and fresh even though they've been doing those a long time. I don't really know what people expect from Maynard.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Gnosis Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Va
Posts: 210
Bincount™: 135
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

41&1 IMO^
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 14
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis Ordo View Post
41&1 IMO^
Haha. Whoops. I meant 56 & 3. Obviously.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

I am a long time listener, first time concert goer....
First of all, I admire Maynard for standing in the shadows. He lets the spotlight be on the MUSIC and not on him. I loved how they seemed to play to and off of each other, feeding off of each other in a sense. The perfect blend of music, vocals, and art. As Patrick Donovan puts it: Tool is "the thinking person's metal band. Cerebral and visceral, soft and heavy, melodic and abrasive, tender and brutal, familiar and strange, western and eastern, beautiful and ugly, taut yet sprawling and epic, they are a tangle of contradictions." Couldn't have described them better if I tried.
I have to say that, overall, I was completely blown away. I was left reeling and out of breath from each mind-blowing feast-for-the-senses that I was exposed to. I felt like I was experiencing Tool again for the very first time. I felt like I felt when I was 14 and listening to the first of many tracks that would ultimately change my life. It was like I was floating on those notes and vocals (no, I wasn't high or drunk) feeling each and every rhythm sent out to us, the fans. I felt like I had come home.
Needless to say, I had to take a few minutes to recover after it was all over before I could even get out of my seat. My god. The. Best. Experience. Ever. Thank you, Tool.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam_leo28 View Post
I am a long time listener, first time concert goer....
First of all, I admire Maynard for standing in the shadows. He lets the spotlight be on the MUSIC and not on him. I loved how they seemed to play to and off of each other, feeding off of each other in a sense. The perfect blend of music, vocals, and art. As Patrick Donovan puts it: Tool is "the thinking person's metal band. Cerebral and visceral, soft and heavy, melodic and abrasive, tender and brutal, familiar and strange, western and eastern, beautiful and ugly, taut yet sprawling and epic, they are a tangle of contradictions." Couldn't have described them better if I tried.
I have to say that, overall, I was completely blown away. I was left reeling and out of breath from each mind-blowing feast-for-the-senses that I was exposed to. I felt like I was experiencing Tool again for the very first time. I felt like I felt when I was 14 and listening to the first of many tracks that would ultimately change my life. It was like I was floating on those notes and vocals (no, I wasn't high or drunk) feeling each and every rhythm sent out to us, the fans. I felt like I had come home.
Needless to say, I had to take a few minutes to recover after it was all over before I could even get out of my seat. My god. The. Best. Experience. Ever. Thank you, Tool.
^^perfectly said... and now.. once again.. i am obsessed..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepintotheshadow View Post
^^perfectly said... and now.. once again.. i am obsessed..
As am I.....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

So glad they played Jambi, they really nailed that song.

The breakdown (which is completely overused by so many other bands) was brilliant and had everybody in the crowd just going nuts.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

Powered by: vBulletin 3.8.7 Patch Level 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.