opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 08. 4 Degrees
User Name
Password
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 232
Getting F'ed over

Since there seems to be no recent threads on this topic, I would like to start one.

First of all, Hi. My name is Ivan and I am new here. My (now ex) girlfriend gave me a copy of Undertow for my birthday a few months back. She said I would like it and she was right. It's kind of like Disturbed's Indestructible, only deeper. This song caught my attention because it was so different from the others.

My girlfriend and I talked about this song once. She told me how it was about the anal and submission of will and blah, blah, blah. She said she thought it was a beautiful song about coming together and trying new things. She had seen an interview where the singer said something like that, I guess. Anyway, I didn't really care at the time. The groove was awesome and she had nice tits that bounced as she bounced to it, so I agreed with her.

Then I caught the lying tramp cheating on me. She tried to say it was my fault for working too much. Then she tried to convince me that we should try to work it out. She said that "going through this experience would bring us closer together." (heh) She spewed so much garbage trying to convince me not to dump her. She tried to make me feel guilty for kicking her to the curb. She tried to pretend that it was my idea that she should f other guys... it was insane.

I blasted Undertow while she was packing up her stuff and low and behold, this song comes on. After listening to it for a couple of minutes, I start busting up laughing because I realized it is all about f'ing someone over (or up the a**) and trying to convince them that they like it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635
Re: Getting F'ed over

Amusing story
Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Amusing story
Agree with you dear.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
On Probation

I am disappointed. The focus was not supposed to be on the experience, but on the conclusion. Explaining my experience was only there to show how I came to the conclusion. I really thought someone would want to say something about whether or not they agreed, or discuss the song in some way. But it seems like no one really cares about the music or the songs in this forum.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

whoa, man. fuckin' wait right there - i care; i think i agree more-so with your nice-titted ex-girlfriend though, except you were both essentially saying the same thing. it's the ol' a tango takes two. you know where in the end there really is no end, no spoons, not even spooning - just one dance. question. concerning the lyrics, are you the "i" or am i the "you"? what's your perspective on the song? why did it make you bust up laughing? how might fucking someone over (up the ass) be so funny? i mean, i have my own theories but... yeah, i think i've exhausted all response possibilities. ball's in your court now.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 11-01-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
On Probation

I'm glad I came back. I think that's a great question.

I came to my understanding based on being the "you" in the song, or the person being spoken to. "You'll like this", "Take it all, take it all the way" and so on. But I suppose it could be turned around to be an anthem for those who screw people over, like politicians, con-men, cheating girlfriends, etc., etc.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the intent. I wonder if the intent was to expose jerk-like behavior, like Henry Rollin's song "Liar", or if it was intended to be genuine but just exposes deep-seeded egotistical narcissism. I have wondered the same thing about Crawl Away. It's like both of those songs are from and to the same people/ perspectives.

And then there's Intolerance, which I would assume comes from the other side. It's confusing to me. Is it hypocritical or just three-dimensional?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Tool's songs are kinda confusing because the lyrics do often come form the 'bad guy' side. But that supposed bad side is just the unexplored and misunderstood part of us. When held down and suppressed, this side reacts in a violent and malevolent form. Which i think alot of songs from tool represent. Maynard was probably struggling with a lot of pent up anger and these songs depict that side of him that wants to come out and watch the world burn. We all have that in us. By personifying these characters it is therapeutic to belt out all your energy into the songs. Its almost self confirming and allows one to recognize the subtle problems/issues we carry around all day and to work towards improving ourselves.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
Tool's songs are kinda confusing because the lyrics do often come form the 'bad guy' side. But that supposed bad side is just the unexplored and misunderstood part of us. When held down and suppressed, this side reacts in a violent and malevolent form. Which i think alot of songs from tool represent. Maynard was probably struggling with a lot of pent up anger and these songs depict that side of him that wants to come out and watch the world burn. We all have that in us. By personifying these characters it is therapeutic to belt out all your energy into the songs. Its almost self confirming and allows one to recognize the subtle problems/issues we carry around all day and to work towards improving ourselves.
I agree wholeheartedly...he uses his lyrics/music to express what lies within us all that are taught to suppress. It doesn't mean he is truly that way as a human being but we have ALL had dark thoughts and feelings, get it out, learn from it and progress.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
Nail.....meet hammer, don't hurt your head. WTF???!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

It's pretty ambiguous. Many of the songs seem to have religious references so I tried looking at this song from that angle for a while. Being fucked in the ass reminds me of 'Opiate' and 'Prison Sex' which both contain several blatant references to Christianity, for whatever reason. I sort of buy the 'opening up to new experiences' thing. The Eastern flavour of this song made me think that it could maybe be about opening up to the Eastern religions, or a different kind of religion, probably as a reaction against Christianity, only to find yourself being fucked in the ass again just like before. I don't necessarily think that's correct, I'm just trying to look at it from other angles.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolisineffable View Post
It's pretty ambiguous. Many of the songs seem to have religious references so I tried looking at this song from that angle for a while. Being fucked in the ass reminds me of 'Opiate' and 'Prison Sex' which both contain several blatant references to Christianity, for whatever reason. I sort of buy the 'opening up to new experiences' thing. The Eastern flavour of this song made me think that it could maybe be about opening up to the Eastern religions, or a different kind of religion, probably as a reaction against Christianity, only to find yourself being fucked in the ass again just like before. I don't necessarily think that's correct, I'm just trying to look at it from other angles.
lol
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolisineffable View Post
Yeah, I don't get a religious vibe from it at all. I thought the eastern vibe was more of a middle eastern thing having to do with, like, a harem or something.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverReady View Post
But it seems like no one really cares about the music or the songs in this forum.
You're about 10 years too late.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: