Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
MORNING_GLORY
03-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Why close a thread before we could even discuss the topic? Yeah, there was a little camaraderie, but it's not like there is so much going on around here that we need to prioritize the threads.

Anyway, like I was about to post before I was so rudely interrupted,

The only thing I can gather from the possible Bill Hicks innuendo is that it's just another random reference such as Birkenstocks, sunkist, Jackie Chan, L. Ron Hubbard, etc; a random assortment of things surfacing in the mind of the narrator while on a slew of drugs, as psychedelics tend provoke. Maybe it's there because the song itself has some comical merit, so it just goes with the theme.

But this has got me wondering if there are anymore subtle references in the song that aren't immediately noticable, not even necessarily to Bill Hicks, but other Tool influences perhaps?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Continuation of the closed thread below

Why close a thread before we could even discuss the topic? Yeah, there was a little camaraderie, but it's not like there is so much going on around here that we need to prioritize the threads.

Anyway, like I was about to post before I was so rudely interrupted,

The only thing I can gather from the possible Bill Hicks innuendo is that it's just another random reference such as Birkenstocks, sunkist, Jackie Chan, L. Ron Hubbard, etc; a random assortment of things surfacing in the mind of the narrator while on a slew of drugs, as psychedelics tend provoke. Maybe it's there because the song itself has some comical merit, so it just goes with the theme.

But this has got me wondering if there are anymore subtle references in the song that aren't immediately noticable, not even necessarily to Bill Hicks, but other Tool influences perhaps?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
MORNING_GLORY
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Ok, so I have discovered another thread discussing the same topic, but in my defense, it was posted in 2006 and talks more about aliens than the actual "stealth banana" reference.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Continuation of the closed thread below

Ok, so I have discovered another thread discussing the same topic, but in my defense, it was posted in 2006 and talks more about aliens than the actual "stealth banana" reference.
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
i dont know wuts so subtle about it. the whole intro to that song is probably speaking from personal experience/influence in one way or another.

plus its "stealth banana//banana split" its just a play on words, a mind fuck to listen to. id point your questions at the more profound lyrics.

the other thread was rightly locked.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
i dont know wuts so subtle about it. the whole intro to that song is probably speaking from personal experience/influence in one way or another.

plus its "stealth banana//banana split" its just a play on words, a mind fuck to listen to. id point your questions at the more profound lyrics.

the other thread was rightly locked.
MORNING_GLORY
03-23-2010, 06:05 PM

It's only subtle because Bill Hicks isn't mentioned directly, it's referring to one portion of one standup. I understand the "stealth banana split" thing, but banana split makes sense whereas stealth banana doesn't, which makes that particular phrase stick out. I wonder if some of the other strange phrases have another significance like that one.
L. Ron Hubbard upper lip? Never understood that one either. Calming down with orange slices? Huh? I always took it as random thoughts popping into his head because of the drugs.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

It's only subtle because Bill Hicks isn't mentioned directly, it's referring to one portion of one standup. I understand the "stealth banana split" thing, but banana split makes sense whereas stealth banana doesn't, which makes that particular phrase stick out. I wonder if some of the other strange phrases have another significance like that one.
L. Ron Hubbard upper lip? Never understood that one either. Calming down with orange slices? Huh? I always took it as random thoughts popping into his head because of the drugs.
Toolicious1
07-31-2010, 09:51 PM

Its funny, cuz I was abducted by aliens and the experience I had could be summed up almost exactly by WHAT I HEAR in Rosetta Stoned. Maybe Maynard is a mind reader, cuz I don't think I could've said it any better. WHAT A TRIP
Old 07-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Banned.

Its funny, cuz I was abducted by aliens and the experience I had could be summed up almost exactly by WHAT I HEAR in Rosetta Stoned. Maybe Maynard is a mind reader, cuz I don't think I could've said it any better. WHAT A TRIP

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply