opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 04. Bottom
User Name
Password
Old 12-08-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Based in religion?

Well I read the replies, but I think the song is directed at God.

At the beginning Maynard describes how God is making him feel guilty, hateful and weak... all bi-products of religion.

"Looking up I see the enemy" -- he targets the source of his problems.

The aside speech sorta represents how he has decided he will go about fighting God. "I have no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erace you", no longer fearing God but rather confronting him, choosing to erace him from your life. He is, afterall, not a physical presence in this world, how else could you defeat him?

"Shit adds up at the bottom..." The runnoff of religion, the shit... I personally think of the hypocracy, the inquisition, pedophile priests, etc...

"shameless, nameless, nothing, noone now" The realization that you are nothing special. There is actually a good post comparing Aenima to the movie fight club, even before reading it when i saw the movie it immidately made me think of those 4 words in this song. "You have to accept the posibility that God doesn't like you... that you are his unwanted child", the acceptance that you are nothing special, that there is no paradise waiting just for you at the end of the road.

I have yet to figure out the full significance of the 'bottom'. I think it may be an implication that if you let yourself fall from grace you will eventually land at some sort of bottom and perhaps better understand all the shit that dropped down there with you. Who knows...

Anyone else think this song about giving up your faith?
Opyate: Lifeless satellite #4,374,596,384
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: