opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 AM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/11 - Glasgow, Scotland - Academy

dont get me wrong boys & girls ... i dont mind people standing, watching or enjoying the music as they like... i have my idea of fun as well as you have yours... and i was not harming people in any, wasnt drunk or nothing... i just wasnt expecting to be chucked out of my first tool gig ever ... and the rocksteady security guys are fucking idiots ... if i only knew i will be chucked out for NOTHING ... guess it was a culture shock ... one i will never forget ...

you prodably remember some people cheering for tool at about 9pm... - that was me & my friend trying to get u guys scream from the bottom of your loungs for the band that we all love... guess it was then that the security got an eye on me ... and make this gig a nightmare for me ...

anyway... complaint filled, have to wait 5 working days for an answer ... enjoyed the kinda weird rosetta begining ... great plyed stinkfist .. and a half of the 46&2 ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

I think what Maynard said was 'You don't seem too enthused.'

Is it possible that a lot of folk really wanted to listen to the music? I think a lot of people, by the time TOOL appeared, were a little worn with boredom having waited so long so it took a few songs for everyone to really get going. I think it took them a few to get going too.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 04:49 AM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah, the wait was excruciating but at least it served to build up the excitment. It would have been nice to have a support band a la Isis or something but at the end of the day it wasnt a big deal, tool were all i needed. I heard a lot of people in the queue speculating about who would support but i knew at that point there wouldnt be one.

I think the reason the crowd were a bit muted was because it was hotter than hell in there. I was just standing rocking out to the music and watching in awe and I was knackered by the end so i guess the folks that were jumping around must have been completely shattered. But wasnt it worth it?

The security were arseholes, ive seen a lot of gigs and i always know the security at APC and tool gigs will be really strict so i expected it but i think that gig was the worst. Its true that the security are there to make you feel safe and create a safe environment for the fans to enjoy the concert, but when they start to get abusive and threaten the fans they go against what they are trying to achieve. im pretty sure if the band could see what was going on they would have been really upset, particularly adam, he seems very keen on making sure everyone has a good time and people dont get hurt.

I guess its a respect thing and the security had no respect for the audience at this gig.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

Even getting into the gig was a hassle!

I received a severe padding down despite emptying my pockets of all their contents. They even checked under the back of my shirt collar!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool were immense. Believe they were playing Meshuggah and Aphex Twin before they came on, but was hard to tell. 46 and 2 was my personal highlight along with aenema. Also learning the tremelo bit in Vicarious was a bass part blew me away. Surprised how people didnt dig RS though. Many very depressed people down the front which was highly annoying. If you wanna just stand there then fine, but why at the front where people want to mosh? And if you cant crack a smile at that gig, see a shrink.
Tool also seem to be near to discovering the brown noise. That weird feedback and keyboard stuff made me feel like i was about to explode. Any band that can not really do anything and have that affect is just unbelievable.
In all, it was fantastic. Better not be another 5 years til the next one.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

Well, I didn't mosh and I was down near the front... but I had a big stupid grin on my face! Yeah, 2/3rds of the way through some tones were very uncomfortable. But I thought it was just Wagamama kicking in :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #47
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I have now seen tool 3 times and this gig was the best one, because it showed the band are human. I thought they played quite loose. fucking up rosetta stoned was halarious. I had seats in the balcony, great view and the security up there were ultra nice, one guy even let me down to the side booths to look at the stage before the gig started. The sound was very loud (good)and excessive in the high end (bad, due to the frequencies bouncing around the venue) but putting a pair of earplugs in tightened all that up and everything was crystal clear (vocal levels stil fluctuated though) the drum sound was fucking amazing and i thought JC was a fucking sex beast lol. The acadamy needs air conditioning big style.

Stand out moments for me were:

fucking up RS
The drum/bass breakdown in RS
46&2 drum solo
The lateralus gong bit.
DC's "drumstick in mouth technique" towards the end of vicarious
JC's footstomp during Aenima
all of stinkfist.

hearing the soundcheck from the stage door and meeting AJ afterwards and shaking his hand (he brought that blind woman in and got her out safely after the gig, a very nice thing to do, she seems to be following the band on tour)
Ben Affleck was really good in that movie.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 AM   #48
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah, she must be a tool veteran cause I saw her in 2001 up the back of the hall at the barrowlands, she was wering a lateralus t-shirt and just swaying with her eyes closed. I didnt know at the time that she was blind but i thought it was awesome that there was such a variety of people there. Never saw her at the academy but glad she is still following the band. Adam seems like a gentleman. Justin is what i would imagine jesus to look like. DC is DC, theres no one better (well maybe dave lombardo is close but not better) and maynard is mesmerizing. I hope his face is okay, he looked pretty pissed off at that point.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

is the guy with the really high cockney kind of accent here? the one who told maynard to "shake that arse". I was the ginge guy at the front who was hugging u.

Best night of my night that was. I think if they'd been another 15 mins late there'd have been a riot though. Definately a brilliant venue, I was so close I could see maynard's moles
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:49 AM   #50
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24

I was about one of the first 30 people in the queue, waited there from about 5:30 in the blazing heat. Was a bit pissed with security letting all the people at the back of the queue jump in. But it didn't matter once i was inside, there was plenty of good seats. I was in the front row up in the balcony, left wing...

Does anyone remember a guy in a grey tee with a girl standing out in blue/turquoise? That was me and my gf, she wasn't a big tool fan before the concert, but i've converted her now! Anyway, it was a bit crap being inside waiting about 2 hours. I was dripping with sweat after 10 mins or so, getting very bored and impatient. I was scared to go to the bar in case they started, so just sat there doing nothing :(

When they finally did come on stage though, i knew it was worth the wait. I could barely hear what Maynard was saying, but the singing was ok. Would be tough for someone who didn't know the lyrics. I don't remember an awful lot about the show, due to getting involuntarily high in the queue lol...Danny was fucking amazing to watch, Justin looked scary and Adam was standing scarily still...

Maynard was a bit of an asshole, didn't talk much, didn't even stay on stage long after the show. He did a good performance though, even if he fucked up a few times, or just couldn't be bothered singing some lyrics. Was good to see them in the flesh though for the first time.

Does anyone know when they'll be coming back to UK?

Oh yeah and why was there no merchandise at the show? Security pretty much pushed everyone out the door after the show but it didn't look as though there was anything to buy...Had to get a tee from dodgy guys out the front >:(

Last edited by BlindVisionary; 06-14-2006 at 01:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

I believe the really deep bass tones were created by danny using his electronic mandala drums, however i also think justin was using his bass through the digitech whammy pedal that he loves, playing an octave lower. these two combined made for some room shaking tones, i quite liked them...but i had digested my dinner at that point haha.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloocyn
there are some things that i just cant understand... ok... it took tool 5 years to release a cd, didnt have a concert in glasgow for quite a long time and the crowd waiting for 1.5 hours just stands and stares... no emotions, no nothing ... weird... if it was in poland the people would gone screaming for tool way before the guys arrive ... next thing is the people's behaviour - THE Band starts playing and ... no reactions, just nodding heads, nothing... like people were watching telly or sthg... well i cannot tell if it was a good gig but i had some fun... until i was thrown out by bouncers in the middle of 46&2 without giving ANY reason ... wtf ???

if any of you remember a black tshirt, short haired guy at the front screaming for tool ... and you know what i might have done just tell me... cuz i dunno... :(
I was pretty shocked at that as well.......the crowd was beyond shit!!! I was at download (tool - friday night) and the crowd was a million times better!! every single person singing to every word while bouncing around (pretty much having the best time of their lives) but at the glasgow gig the crowd just stood there lookin bored (except for about 3 guys in front of me...pat yourself's on the back)
I also thought tool's performance was very poor in comparison to download(possibly to do with the crowds lack of enthusiam (which maynard actually made a very sarcastic comment on......quite right as well....the crowd was shit)!!!
the band made numerous fuck ups!!!

rosetta stoned was shockingly bad, the end of the song was all over the place and maynard eventually stopped singing cos he didn't know where the fuck he was!! (this seemed to put a damper on it from the word go)

the bridge in schism was pretty ropey as well....adam started speeding up and I don't think danny and justin knew where the hell they were!!! they tried to keep up, but the were all out of time with each other!
(the list goes on......too long)

i think the bad sound quality had a lot to do with the mistakes as it was unbelievably loud!! (except maynard, who definitely seemed to be in a bad mood as he didn't hang about after the last song)

all in all not anywhere near as good as download!! which they blew my mind at!!

not gonna go down as a tool classic live performance but at least i have download to remember!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

awesome gig, amazing to finally see these guys live! met some cool people and the blond chick with the white tights and the doctor martins made the queue outside the gig all the more bearable!

about the crowd, i was singing most of the way through the gig but had the distinct feeling i was pissing the people around me off which was a little annoying and off putting. was a small group to my right who went mental throughout which was cool though.

Last edited by Lexingtongue; 06-14-2006 at 11:10 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #54
Level 3 - Talker

I felt the gig wasnt as good as the barrowlands in 2001 for a few reasons. The shorter set length, the smaller stage and therefore fewer video screens. The set list (i liked the mix of old and new but i would have liked to see a more varied selection lifed from lateralus). However in saying that, the band played for just over an hour and a half, which is more than most bands play these days, they also played pretty much non stop so there was as much music as possible crammed into the set length. Plus tool always play amazingly, so even when they were a bit rusty the other night, they still wipe the floor with 99% of the other bands out there.

Dont get me wrong I loved the gig, and loved hearing stinkfist but I was hoping for a bit more. Ive only ever seen them at the barras and they were really on fire that night so its all i have to compare it too.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

^ Yeah I don't even think it was an off night for TOOL. The chemistry just wasn't working. I think a lot of fans there perhaps are not familiar with the way TOOL do things live (who am I to talk, it was my first time seeing them), and that coupled with poor sound and a few mistakes seemed to detract from what was still an excellent gig.

Still though, everything from Right in Two onwards was incredible. Sober was fantastic, and Lateralus would have had me in tears for days if they hadn't slowed a bit in the middle.

Anyone get signatures around the back? Both Danny and Justin signed my ticket and Danny kindly signed the white square on the front of my aenima album. Shaking both of their hands (and oddly enough, looking into Danny's eyes) was almost as good as witnessing their talent onstage. But then I am just a fanboy!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #56
Level 3 - Talker

Thats cool for you mate, id have loved to get some signatures but i didnt manage to get them. I think the was great but definetly a bit below par, i dont mean it to sound bad its just that seeing what they are capable of after the lateralus tour its clear it wasnt their best night. I still cant wait to see them again and i love the new album.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

did anyone happen to get any photos of mr keenan because it looked like he had a awesome gun belt buckle...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Well I enjoyed it,sound was bad at times...maybe one of the smaller halls at the SECC would of been better?
Can't wait until they return.....please not let it be another 5 years:-(

p.s.the woman with the silver vauxhall (I asked you for a light & we started chatting) could you message me;-)
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: