opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima
User Name
Password
Old 12-15-2002, 04:49 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Oh my god I like

I haven't heard On-ih-muh in months until just 2 days ago. sorry, i couldn't get to a computer until today. except for when i did yesterday. you must just not be important enough for me to write to until now. no wait. that's my EGO talking again. silly little destined-to-be-silenced mechanism.

anyways,
i was thrown back into a shocked state of "oh my god. this is so good." i really just sat there. i have it playing on my little douche computer speaker (very convinient for world travel i might add) while i'm working on some calculus and i just have to stop and LOOK AT THE SPEAKER. like that old joke: "get out of the way, i can't see the speaker". or radio or whatever.

but anyways,
one of the big things i noticed is how aenima seems to be operating on its own time frame. it's as if they have their own "internal" metronomes and aren't subscribing to some, you know, metered one. i know all this cuz i spend quite some time with time & metering tha bastidd. but i'm praising myself again......oh, boy when is this all going to end?

the WHOLE point of this post is that of a refound appreciation for the album. good work guys.

ps---one more thing i gotta say about the timeframe...it was like i was exploring a new form of time, a new...perhaps timeLESS dimension. it was nice. felt like home. wait...isn't that ANOTHER tool theme? boy....boy oh boy. oh boy oh boy.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
I love how each Tool song is one big solo. They never use the same riffs ever, thats what makes them so interesting. And I love how Maynard can hold the "Fret for your figure and fret for your latte..." part with only one breath. I've tried so hard to do that, and I can, but...no. its not as good as him :)

Maynard is GOD!
Old 01-10-2003, 09:30 PM   #3
X

Bincount™: 746
empty

Well I love Ænima but i think i have overanalyzed it. I cant think of anything else to add about Ænima. The album kicks so much ass but i cant think of anything else. Cleansing, solos, emotion, and hidden messages... what else is there? God damn this album rocks!
Old 01-10-2003, 11:11 PM   #4
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
Ænima like all Tool is amazing.

I don't know anything about time frames at all, but I'd like to. You're right that it's not "metered" or whatever like other bands. A lot of bands just create predictable riffs. The same kind of crap you hear on the radio and MTV all the time.

By time frame I'd think you mean a band would create one riff and stay within that riff or time frame throughout the better part of the song or all of it?

While Tool for example, will constantly evolve through the song, and use riffs to set mood, and match Maynards raw emotion when he's trying to portray the lyrics he's laying out for you visually. Sometimes going back to a riff, like in Ænema, when he says, "Freaks here in this." The hard riff for that chorus or whatever you'd like to call it is re used, but it's not at all overkill. It's perfect. If you can even call that a chorus, I've noticed Tool doesn't go all out on chorus's. Another good thing.

I'd say Punk Rock is guilty of a lot of repetitive riffs, and staying in the same time frame if I know what I'm talking about with time frames. Punk Rock's been around forever and it's just re-using and re-doing the same crap that's been done decades ago. Sorry if anyone here likes Punk Rock. Some of it's ok, the kind that's not just in it because it's an easy trip to rock stardom.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
I've found Aenima, as with most other concept albulms such as the wall or Mechanical Animals for example, if you listen close enough, the riffs sound similar, but that is not because they aren't very creative, just the opposite. They are able to do so many different things with the same riff and it sounds different in each song unless you listen closely.

I think it is cool because it kinda ties the albulm together tighter so it is more of a whole than just a group of songs.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: