Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
guitarpete987
07-04-2006, 12:04 PM

I rarely tune in to my local rock radio, but I was STUNNED and somewhat DISGUSTED to find that they have mangled Vicarious into a mere 4 minute shadow of its former self. The only radio I listen to lately is XM radio, and they still play that in its entirety, thank god.

But geez, I'm feeling really sorry for the people who are only just getting to hear Vicarious, because my radio station has cut out huge chunks of song, including the massive and beautiful buildup to the climax "Vicariously I..."

In a sick and twisted move, they have joined "la la la la la la lieeee" and "we all feed, on tragedy, it's like blood to a vampire".... and they cut out most of the intro and the entire pseudo-third verse stuff at "why can't we just admit it ... we won't give pause until the blood is flowing"

It's sick, and I have called and complained, to no avail.

I hope no one else's stations are doing this kind of butchering.

This is worse than what they did to the song Lateralus, if you ask me.

Most of it doesn't even make musical sense. The song feels like it is just tension the whole way through with no musical diversity.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Let the butchering begin...

I rarely tune in to my local rock radio, but I was STUNNED and somewhat DISGUSTED to find that they have mangled Vicarious into a mere 4 minute shadow of its former self. The only radio I listen to lately is XM radio, and they still play that in its entirety, thank god.

But geez, I'm feeling really sorry for the people who are only just getting to hear Vicarious, because my radio station has cut out huge chunks of song, including the massive and beautiful buildup to the climax "Vicariously I..."

In a sick and twisted move, they have joined "la la la la la la lieeee" and "we all feed, on tragedy, it's like blood to a vampire".... and they cut out most of the intro and the entire pseudo-third verse stuff at "why can't we just admit it ... we won't give pause until the blood is flowing"

Most of it doesn't even make musical sense. The song feels like it is just tension the whole way through with no musical diversity.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Perseensilmä's Avatar Perseensilmä
07-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Fuck you, people are getting butchered every day all around the world and you actually give a fuck about some stupid radio edit of some stupid song.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 3773
Re: Let the butchering begin...

Fuck you, people are getting butchered every day all around the world and you actually give a fuck about some stupid radio edit of some stupid song.
07-04-2006, 12:11 PM

Its not the radio stations fault. TOOL sent them the edit. When I was helping out at a rock station in Boston, we got the edited version of Lateralus and the radio station didnt want to play it, they wanted the full version, but since Tool loves to be in control of everything, its was contracted that the edited down version be played.

So dont hate the station, hate the bands management.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
SAR DeathCheater (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 3

Its not the radio stations fault. TOOL sent them the edit. When I was helping out at a rock station in Boston, we got the edited version of Lateralus and the radio station didnt want to play it, they wanted the full version, but since Tool loves to be in control of everything, its was contracted that the edited down version be played.

07-04-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseensilmä
LOL... I'm sorry, but you don't know anything about me. You don't know anything but what I've told you so don't comment on my views like you understand them.
There are forums for those topics. This is a forum for Tool, and I choose to discuss this type of radio edit butchering here. It's not like it doesn't matter. If you cared about Tool's music it would upset you. Sadly, millions of people listen to rock radio, and hearing my favorite band's music misrepresented pisses me off. Yes it's a petty problem in the larger scope of the world, but it is sad to see such amazing musical compositions as Lateralus and Vicarious edited in such a way.

Don't pretend to know what it is in this world I'm aware of and am concerned about. You have no idea where I've been, the things I've seen or what I care about.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
LOL... I'm sorry, but you don't know anything about me. You don't know anything but what I've told you so don't comment on my views like you understand them.
There are forums for those topics. This is a forum for Tool, and I choose to discuss this type of radio edit butchering here. It's not like it doesn't matter. If you cared about Tool's music it would upset you. Sadly, millions of people listen to rock radio, and hearing my favorite band's music misrepresented pisses me off. Yes it's a petty problem in the larger scope of the world, but it is sad to see such amazing musical compositions as Lateralus and Vicarious edited in such a way.

Don't pretend to know what it is in this world I'm aware of and am concerned about. You have no idea where I've been, the things I've seen or what I care about.
guitarpete987
07-04-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolzer

If this is the case with Vicarious, that's not what they told me.

Here's what they said when I asked them who was responsible. They said that the station's company created a cut of the song that was submitted to the band's record label and was approved.

They said nothing of the band actually approving it... which is what makes me upset. I don't think the band has any voice in it, even if it is label approved.

I'm just saddened that people who listen to the radio, which happen to be many, are being given a watered down version of Vicarious. I really don't care whose fault it is...

EDIT: Besides, no one ever edited Schism, and that song is only about 20 seconds shorter, and feels like it goes on for a lot longer. Argh!

Last edited by guitarpete987; 07-04-2006 at 12:23 PM..
Old 07-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolzer

If this is the case with Vicarious, that's not what they told me.

Here's what they said when I asked them who was responsible. They said that the station's company created a cut of the song that was submitted to the band's record label and was approved.

They said nothing of the band actually approving it... which is what makes me upset. I don't think the band has any voice in it, even if it is label approved.

I'm just saddened that people who listen to the radio, which happen to be many, are being given a watered down version of Vicarious. I really don't care whose fault it is...

EDIT: Besides, no one ever edited Schism, and that song is only about 20 seconds shorter, and feels like it goes on for a lot longer. Argh!

Last edited by guitarpete987; 07-04-2006 at 12:23 PM..
Untamed
07-04-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987

butcher this butcher that, who the Ef cares? Radio will always be radio, this some kinda suprise? Tool is forced to come out with "radio edit's" ...**gasp**...yes Tool, will do something you arent too fond of. Guess they suck now.

Tool is fking Tool, Tool will go on without "full version" radio play. If you need to hear it on the radio, then so be it.

You know how many times I hear Pink Floyd play on the radio and I'm pissed off? ...It's all the same....how dare someone play what means so much too us on the radio for the public to hear???? It dont matter though....9 times out of 10 the person sitting right next to me listening to "Money" from PF doesnt hear what I hear, and interprets it a completely different way, thats the beauty of it, no one can take away what I get from the song, no one! PF, and TOOL live on forever, no matter what.

Last edited by Untamed; 07-04-2006 at 02:15 PM..
Old 07-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

butcher this butcher that, who the Ef cares? Radio will always be radio, this some kinda suprise? Tool is forced to come out with "radio edit's" ...**gasp**...yes Tool, will do something you arent too fond of. Guess they suck now.

Tool is fking Tool, Tool will go on without "full version" radio play. If you need to hear it on the radio, then so be it.

You know how many times I hear Pink Floyd play on the radio and I'm pissed off? ...It's all the same....how dare someone play what means so much too us on the radio for the public to hear???? It dont matter though....9 times out of 10 the person sitting right next to me listening to "Money" from PF doesnt hear what I hear, and interprets it a completely different way, thats the beauty of it, no one can take away what I get from the song, no one! PF, and TOOL live on forever, no matter what.

Last edited by Untamed; 07-04-2006 at 02:15 PM..
guitarpete987
07-04-2006, 04:10 PM

Untamed, you made a good post.

It's later in the day now, and I've overcome most of my initial rage.
I'm not saying Tool won't live on forever or what not. But to me, there's nothing like hearing a song in its entirety. I'm was never REALLY mad at anybody. Just disgusted and outraged that anyone would ever have to hear Vicarious in a sliced up version.

I'll admit, I was overreacting a bit with my original post. This is my formal apology.
I guess my shock was because I hardly ever, EVER listen to radio. And bam, there it was. And I just didn't think Vicarious was long enough to warrant an edit, even. So I was more shocked than anything else.

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Untamed, you made a good post.

It's later in the day now, and I've overcome most of my initial rage.
I'm not saying Tool won't live on forever or what not. But to me, there's nothing like hearing a song in its entirety. I'm was never REALLY mad at anybody. Just disgusted and outraged that anyone would ever have to hear Vicarious in a sliced up version.

I'll admit, I was overreacting a bit with my original post. This is my formal apology.
I guess my shock was because I hardly ever, EVER listen to radio. And bam, there it was. And I just didn't think Vicarious was long enough to warrant an edit, even. So I was more shocked than anything else.

Thanks for reading.
Harry Manback's Avatar Harry Manback
07-04-2006, 04:12 PM

The only people who seem to care about these stupid little things are the obsessive fans who already own all the albums.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
On Probation

Bincount™: 0

The only people who seem to care about these stupid little things are the obsessive fans who already own all the albums.
Poolzer's Avatar Poolzer
07-04-2006, 05:38 PM

To add to the above, when I was at the radio station, the only people that called in were those demanding the longer version be played, and were dubbed super tool fans and told to buy a cd player for their car, by the djs.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
SAR DeathCheater (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 3

To add to the above, when I was at the radio station, the only people that called in were those demanding the longer version be played, and were dubbed super tool fans and told to buy a cd player for their car, by the djs.
07-04-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Lighten up man, some of the people getting butchered are soldiers. That must put a smile on your face, right?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Quote:
Lighten up man, some of the people getting butchered are soldiers. That must put a smile on your face, right?
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
07-04-2006, 06:22 PM

It was too long anyway.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716

It was too long anyway.
Idiotica
07-04-2006, 06:29 PM

haha too long. I've been saying that all aLONG. I'd shave at least 1 min (without any drastic cuts) if i were to do a cover version of this song.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

haha too long. I've been saying that all aLONG. I'd shave at least 1 min (without any drastic cuts) if i were to do a cover version of this song.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I fuckin' hate that shit. No matter how small the piece they cut off is, it's the worst thing a radio station can do. Horrible.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:

I fuckin' hate that shit. No matter how small the piece they cut off is, it's the worst thing a radio station can do. Horrible.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
wtf? then go to the Rwanda forum, jackass!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
Banned.

Quote:
wtf? then go to the Rwanda forum, jackass!
Carbonatedgravy
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM

I kind of think Persee's post was a joke, but it's impossible to tell sometimes.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

I kind of think Persee's post was a joke, but it's impossible to tell sometimes.
champion's Avatar champion
07-04-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Hey... good post. Seriousy.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Quote:
Hey... good post. Seriousy.
pau
07-04-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
no. bad post. it's outspoken fuckers like this who make irrelevant comments out of turn which degrades the strength of their cause in the first place.

yes, it is fucked to edit songs arbitrarily in the way that the original meaning/feeling/essense of the piece may be lost, but like others have said, it's only on the radio, so just turn it off, and turn your disc player on.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
no. bad post. it's outspoken fuckers like this who make irrelevant comments out of turn which degrades the strength of their cause in the first place.

yes, it is fucked to edit songs arbitrarily in the way that the original meaning/feeling/essense of the piece may be lost, but like others have said, it's only on the radio, so just turn it off, and turn your disc player on.
pau
07-04-2006, 10:26 PM

for clarification: bad post by Perseensilma, not the original post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

for clarification: bad post by Perseensilma, not the original post
CrownOfNegativity's Avatar CrownOfNegativity
07-04-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Same here with my rock station, man. They cut out the best part of the song too (imo). The part where he's saying "angels in the hearts of man."
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 84

Quote:

Same here with my rock station, man. They cut out the best part of the song too (imo). The part where he's saying "angels in the hearts of man."
TheGrinch's Avatar TheGrinch
07-05-2006, 01:55 AM

On the one hand I agree that it's painful to hear the songs raped for public consumption, but on the other I think a gentle introduction to the Tool-verse is what a lot of people need.

The full 7 minute Vacarious might be too much for the uninitiated, but the 4 minute might make them pick up the albums, then the back catalogue, and then suddenly they'll be lost and one of us.

And I much prefer that Tool were responsible for the butchery than some arrogant DJ or some panel of "experts". We get enough of that kind of censorship with movies in England, "it's too much for the public / too intense / too graphic". Hypocrites rule the horizontal and the vertical, so at least the band are keeping control in this case.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

On the one hand I agree that it's painful to hear the songs raped for public consumption, but on the other I think a gentle introduction to the Tool-verse is what a lot of people need.

The full 7 minute Vacarious might be too much for the uninitiated, but the 4 minute might make them pick up the albums, then the back catalogue, and then suddenly they'll be lost and one of us.

And I much prefer that Tool were responsible for the butchery than some arrogant DJ or some panel of "experts". We get enough of that kind of censorship with movies in England, "it's too much for the public / too intense / too graphic". Hypocrites rule the horizontal and the vertical, so at least the band are keeping control in this case.
07-05-2006, 01:42 PM

It's worse than rape.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Banned.

It's worse than rape.
SilverGrudge
07-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
It's worse than rape.

it's rape x 10000...and the answer to the equation will leave you mentally retarded if ever figured out.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
It's worse than rape.

it's rape x 10000...and the answer to the equation will leave you mentally retarded if ever figured out.
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM

*lol*

Sheesh, thank god I didn't get a feminist response saying something like, "if you knew what rape is, you wouldn't be saying such things..." I get that enough from my wife...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #23
Banned.

*lol*

Sheesh, thank god I didn't get a feminist response saying something like, "if you knew what rape is, you wouldn't be saying such things..." I get that enough from my wife...
AguirreWrathOfTool
07-05-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Dude....

Not your place
Not the point
Not anywhere close to being relevant

Get out.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Dude....

Not your place
Not the point
Not anywhere close to being relevant

Get out.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply