Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
BloodRedLion727
05-17-2006, 06:31 PM

Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically. What i'm talking about it a religious "conversion," a la Trent Reznor. This seems to be particularly on display in 10,000 days. I know that Tool songs are always open to interpretation and their meaning are never simply spelled out in the lyrics..but if this happens to be the case, then I'm sincerely dissapointed.

It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life.

Perhaps Keenan hasn't changed his stance and is simply using it as imagery. However, if he has, I can't support Tool or APC from this point on. I will always love his work up until now, and listen to all the previous APC and Tool albums as fervently as I always have--but I can't support his future efforts. I can't support someone who supports the cause of more deaths than anything else in human history--religion.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Has MJK pulled a Reznor?

Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically. What i'm talking about it a religious "conversion," a la Trent Reznor. This seems to be particularly on display in 10,000 days. I know that Tool songs are always open to interpretation and their meaning are never simply spelled out in the lyrics..but if this happens to be the case, then I'm sincerely dissapointed.

It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life.

Perhaps Keenan hasn't changed his stance and is simply using it as imagery. However, if he has, I can't support Tool or APC from this point on. I will always love his work up until now, and listen to all the previous APC and Tool albums as fervently as I always have--but I can't support his future efforts. I can't support someone who supports the cause of more deaths than anything else in human history--religion.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
reverend resistor's Avatar reverend resistor
05-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Uh... Trent Reznor isn't religious, and he didn't convert to anything.

"New rule: If churches don't have to pay taxes, they also can't call the fire department when they catch fire. Sorry reverend, that's one of those services that goes along with paying in. I'll use the fire department I pay for. You can pray for rain."
Old 05-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 296
Re: Has MJK pulled a Reznor?

Uh... Trent Reznor isn't religious, and he didn't convert to anything.

"New rule: If churches don't have to pay taxes, they also can't call the fire department when they catch fire. Sorry reverend, that's one of those services that goes along with paying in. I'll use the fire department I pay for. You can pray for rain."
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
05-17-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedLion727

One less gas station attendant in the world.

Ring a bell?

Get real.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:

One less gas station attendant in the world.

Ring a bell?

Get real.
BloodRedLion727
05-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Not true, my friend. If you play NIN's semi-new CD (With Teeth) backwards, there are parts in which Reznor says "Our savior is coming again soon...I wonder when." Also, he has admitted in public that "Hand that Feeds" is about god, (I intentionally use a small "g,") in particular, that the judeo-christian god is said "hand that feeds."
Old 05-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Not true, my friend. If you play NIN's semi-new CD (With Teeth) backwards, there are parts in which Reznor says "Our savior is coming again soon...I wonder when." Also, he has admitted in public that "Hand that Feeds" is about god, (I intentionally use a small "g,") in particular, that the judeo-christian god is said "hand that feeds."
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-17-2006, 06:41 PM

I thought the hand that feeds was political.... He probably meant the "god" that's in the white house.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

I thought the hand that feeds was political.... He probably meant the "god" that's in the white house.
05-17-2006, 06:41 PM

Oh, I'm not fighting that, dude. I'm just saying that your lack of support really won't make a difference. Have your argument be more consequential.

Nes pa?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Banned.

Oh, I'm not fighting that, dude. I'm just saying that your lack of support really won't make a difference. Have your argument be more consequential.

Nes pa?
IC's Avatar IC
05-17-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
..wait are you actually serious? wow. actually, no, you are, in everyway, wrong.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
..wait are you actually serious? wow. actually, no, you are, in everyway, wrong.
05-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
I still stick behind that one, dude. Totally. It's one of those "right on" lyrics that needs little further thought...

Peace.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
I still stick behind that one, dude. Totally. It's one of those "right on" lyrics that needs little further thought...

Peace.
05-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
Remember the playing backwards deal???

I'd forgot about that!

thanks liondude!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
Remember the playing backwards deal???

I'd forgot about that!

thanks liondude!
05-17-2006, 06:46 PM

innercombustiondude, your avatar's nasty, man. Is that for real?

Last edited by DON IOTAE; 05-17-2006 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: didn't need the quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Banned.

innercombustiondude, your avatar's nasty, man. Is that for real?

Last edited by DON IOTAE; 05-17-2006 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: didn't need the quote
egrue
05-17-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:

maynard has repeatedly stated in the past, even before tool came out with lateralus, that he has nothing against the teachings of spiritual figures such as christ, buddha, mohammed, etc. in fact he often admires the teachings of such figures. what he has a problem against is organized religion, and the way people have used it to gain personal power, money, and fuel wars and conflicts. NOWHERE in 10,000 days do i see any evidence that maynard has come to cherish organized religion. personally i don't think he's changed at all.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #11

Bincount™: 5

Quote:

maynard has repeatedly stated in the past, even before tool came out with lateralus, that he has nothing against the teachings of spiritual figures such as christ, buddha, mohammed, etc. in fact he often admires the teachings of such figures. what he has a problem against is organized religion, and the way people have used it to gain personal power, money, and fuel wars and conflicts. NOWHERE in 10,000 days do i see any evidence that maynard has come to cherish organized religion. personally i don't think he's changed at all.
05-17-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrue
Well put. I think that is what I really wanted to express.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Banned.

Quote:
Well put. I think that is what I really wanted to express.
justfar1086
05-17-2006, 06:59 PM

Maybe maynard is trying to tell us he is the G-O-Dizzle
Old 05-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

Maybe maynard is trying to tell us he is the G-O-Dizzle
randomhero8823's Avatar randomhero8823
05-17-2006, 07:00 PM

10,000 days is basically saying, his if anyone deserves heaven, it should be his mom, beacuse she believed so much. He isnt saying there is a God or anywhere on this album that he is turning religious.... he is basically looking at the ironies of religion.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

10,000 days is basically saying, his if anyone deserves heaven, it should be his mom, beacuse she believed so much. He isnt saying there is a God or anywhere on this album that he is turning religious.... he is basically looking at the ironies of religion.
pivotal digit's Avatar pivotal digit
05-17-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:

have you ever really kmown nards real beliefs ? he 's selling you a product/his art . use your mind develope your own veiws and don't worry about some other dude's state of mind , he's not worried about yours . As far as i'm concerned eversince opiate maynard has been a jesus freak , i've told other "fans" this and they disagreed , hate to say it but...you know who you are
Old 05-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 41

Quote:

have you ever really kmown nards real beliefs ? he 's selling you a product/his art . use your mind develope your own veiws and don't worry about some other dude's state of mind , he's not worried about yours . As far as i'm concerned eversince opiate maynard has been a jesus freak , i've told other "fans" this and they disagreed , hate to say it but...you know who you are
justfar1086
05-17-2006, 07:02 PM

"nobody fucks with the Jesus"
Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

"nobody fucks with the Jesus"
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotal digit

i know its already kinda of been said, but he doesnt hate religion he hates people who use religion for personal gain instead of personal growth.
What is religion if not just a set of rules to live by? Everybody has their religion in one way or another. We all listen to the "teachings" of TOOL and interpret them in our own ways and many of us, me included, get it wrong.
Obvioulsy the people who follow organised religion will interpret the parabols in their own way and take soemthing different from it than the next christian and they get it wrong.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #17

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotal digit

i know its already kinda of been said, but he doesnt hate religion he hates people who use religion for personal gain instead of personal growth.
What is religion if not just a set of rules to live by? Everybody has their religion in one way or another. We all listen to the "teachings" of TOOL and interpret them in our own ways and many of us, me included, get it wrong.
Obvioulsy the people who follow organised religion will interpret the parabols in their own way and take soemthing different from it than the next christian and they get it wrong.
05-18-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardJamesKeenan
Whoa there, my friend. I hope you're not implyng that listening to Tool is a form of religion. They are very different activities and need to be distinguished one from the other to maintain sanity (in and out of this forum).

I basically see Tool's music as a form of entertainment. I'm not sure if I can affirm that I follow their "teachings", but I do try to get the best out their music and lyrics and somehow apply it to my life. And this process is barely conscious. When MJK says at the intro to this opinion section, "in a perfect world, bla bla bla, everyone would pick something up from our music and do something extraordinary", you can infer that he's asking for too much, and he makes this explicit by starting off saying "in a perfect world".

No, no. Religion is another matter entirely. It relies on faith, which is nice and interesting in some aspects. My affinity with Tool has nothing to do with faith. It's more to do with a deep rooted feeling I have and that grows and transforms every time I listen to their music. And this is even less conscious.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #18
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardJamesKeenan
Whoa there, my friend. I hope you're not implyng that listening to Tool is a form of religion. They are very different activities and need to be distinguished one from the other to maintain sanity (in and out of this forum).

I basically see Tool's music as a form of entertainment. I'm not sure if I can affirm that I follow their "teachings", but I do try to get the best out their music and lyrics and somehow apply it to my life. And this process is barely conscious. When MJK says at the intro to this opinion section, "in a perfect world, bla bla bla, everyone would pick something up from our music and do something extraordinary", you can infer that he's asking for too much, and he makes this explicit by starting off saying "in a perfect world".

No, no. Religion is another matter entirely. It relies on faith, which is nice and interesting in some aspects. My affinity with Tool has nothing to do with faith. It's more to do with a deep rooted feeling I have and that grows and transforms every time I listen to their music. And this is even less conscious.
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:

oh and to actaully reply to the post. Maynard isnt a more talented musician than Trent. Trent plays all the instruments on his albums (or at least used to) and does a bit of production (he has a band that play live only).
I dont think that MJK has embraced religion.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #19

Quote:

oh and to actaully reply to the post. Maynard isnt a more talented musician than Trent. Trent plays all the instruments on his albums (or at least used to) and does a bit of production (he has a band that play live only).
I dont think that MJK has embraced religion.
05-18-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:

You think the meaning of life has anything to do with reality?

You think that because Maynard uses religious imagery he has "converted"?

You need to think again.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #20
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 136

Quote:

You think the meaning of life has anything to do with reality?

You think that because Maynard uses religious imagery he has "converted"?

You need to think again.
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota

i see what you're saying. I will admit iwas kind of generaliseing, but you have to generalise to make a point. What is faith? Belief, soemthing to believe in to make us feel safe really.
I undersand what you're saying about the music, it is the same for me. But seperate the men frm the music andyou have what soem people consider to be spiritual, god-like figures, especially maynard. The comparisons are there, and although that doesnt apply to you i'm sure it applies to others. But basically i was not saying TOOL was a religion. My point was that everyone has rules that they live by, i have mine and you have yours, just some people choose to share the beliefs of others (organised religion).
Old 05-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota

i see what you're saying. I will admit iwas kind of generaliseing, but you have to generalise to make a point. What is faith? Belief, soemthing to believe in to make us feel safe really.
I undersand what you're saying about the music, it is the same for me. But seperate the men frm the music andyou have what soem people consider to be spiritual, god-like figures, especially maynard. The comparisons are there, and although that doesnt apply to you i'm sure it applies to others. But basically i was not saying TOOL was a religion. My point was that everyone has rules that they live by, i have mine and you have yours, just some people choose to share the beliefs of others (organised religion).
05-18-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Most close-minded comment I've ever heard.

You've lumped religion into one category; notwithstanding the essence of the source of all religion is peaceful. It is the people that are so-called followers of these religions that choose to kill, destroy, and display monstrosities in God's name. Supporting the people that enact these horrors doesn't entail a support of their beliefs.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7

Quote:

Most close-minded comment I've ever heard.

You've lumped religion into one category; notwithstanding the essence of the source of all religion is peaceful. It is the people that are so-called followers of these religions that choose to kill, destroy, and display monstrosities in God's name. Supporting the people that enact these horrors doesn't entail a support of their beliefs.
CaseLogic
05-18-2006, 08:40 AM

Trent Reznor is very gifted musically... to say MJK is infinitely more gifted than him is ignorant.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Trent Reznor is very gifted musically... to say MJK is infinitely more gifted than him is ignorant.
autumnleigh
05-18-2006, 11:53 AM

You are all making baby Jesus cry.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

You are all making baby Jesus cry.
win's Avatar win
05-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Niether Reznor nor MJK are religious. Both are often talking about religion. Furthermore, music is music. If you enjoy how music sounds and the emotions it evokes you can listen to a band simply endorsing their music and not their beliefs. It is a straw-man fallacy to do otherwise
Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #25
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:

Niether Reznor nor MJK are religious. Both are often talking about religion. Furthermore, music is music. If you enjoy how music sounds and the emotions it evokes you can listen to a band simply endorsing their music and not their beliefs. It is a straw-man fallacy to do otherwise
zee deveel 17
05-18-2006, 12:19 PM

if the anti-christ mentioned "God" in his song, i guess he must have gone through a conversion too.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #26

Bincount™: 56

if the anti-christ mentioned "God" in his song, i guess he must have gone through a conversion too.
kether4602's Avatar kether4602
05-18-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Your naivety will continue to stunt your growth...
Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #27

Bincount™: 12

Quote:

Your naivety will continue to stunt your growth...
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
05-18-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:

you're not very perceptive, are ya?
i think its entirely OBVIOUS that MJK is using that religious/christian imagery for the benefit of his mother's memory.
it has nothing to do with him accepting jesus or becoming relgious. ahhahahahahahahahaah
Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #28
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:

i think its entirely OBVIOUS that MJK is using that religious/christian imagery for the benefit of his mother's memory.
it has nothing to do with him accepting jesus or becoming relgious. ahhahahahahahahahaah
kether4602's Avatar kether4602
05-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #29

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
MrDurden
05-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think Maynard has "converted" to religion. MJK pretty openly opposes organized religion (Trent too) presumably because many Christians (especially in the US) hold such absolutist, narrow-minded views. Views extremely similar to the kind of rhetoric in this post.

It amazes me that someone who "loves" Tool (I assume both their music and the things they have to say) would cease "supporting" them because he has a different perception of reality (note: I didn't say "wrong"). Isn't this much closer to the kind of mindset that leads to religious/ideological wars.

Just because you don't go to a church, temple, or mosque on the weekends doesn't mean you are free of homogenizing, elitist, and ultimately violent views. I am glad that you have found a perception of reality and the meaning of life that you find to be true, however that doesn't mean that anyone that doesn't share your view is an ignorant fool unworthy of your respect.

On the subject of the spiritual/religious overtones of 10,000 days, what is known about MJK alcohol (if not drug problem). APC's 13th Step pretty clearly seems to be written by someone who is familiar with addiction. Not to mention songs throughout Tool's history indicate a struggle with drugs or alcohol (Sober, H, etc.). A friend told me that between The Fragile and With Teeth, Trent quit drinking.

I am not saying that either have become Southern Baptist Republicans. But it might help to explain the spirituality that seems to permeate the lyrics of both artists.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's a terrible tragedy.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I don't think Maynard has "converted" to religion. MJK pretty openly opposes organized religion (Trent too) presumably because many Christians (especially in the US) hold such absolutist, narrow-minded views. Views extremely similar to the kind of rhetoric in this post.

It amazes me that someone who "loves" Tool (I assume both their music and the things they have to say) would cease "supporting" them because he has a different perception of reality (note: I didn't say "wrong"). Isn't this much closer to the kind of mindset that leads to religious/ideological wars.

Just because you don't go to a church, temple, or mosque on the weekends doesn't mean you are free of homogenizing, elitist, and ultimately violent views. I am glad that you have found a perception of reality and the meaning of life that you find to be true, however that doesn't mean that anyone that doesn't share your view is an ignorant fool unworthy of your respect.

On the subject of the spiritual/religious overtones of 10,000 days, what is known about MJK alcohol (if not drug problem). APC's 13th Step pretty clearly seems to be written by someone who is familiar with addiction. Not to mention songs throughout Tool's history indicate a struggle with drugs or alcohol (Sober, H, etc.). A friend told me that between The Fragile and With Teeth, Trent quit drinking.

I am not saying that either have become Southern Baptist Republicans. But it might help to explain the spirituality that seems to permeate the lyrics of both artists.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's a terrible tragedy.
paraflux
05-18-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Do you have to laugh in everyone's face?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #31
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Do you have to laugh in everyone's face?
Nate-Dogg85
05-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Think of the social world like this, every person out there is just an option of the person you can be. Using that idea... what are friends then? Friends would be two or more people who influence each other (directly) to help become the people they hope/plan/destine to be in the end. Maynard and Trent are friends, so ive heard? Dont they work together with the tapeworm project? I think they will share similar beliefs, ideas, influences that any type of friendship would encounter. Its expected that they would spit out, not necesarily the same, but work that is in common with each others, right? I may be wrong, but my friends hear what i have to say, and it affects them... just because maynard and trent are famous people, and im sure much more intelligent than i am, that doesnt make them any less human than i or even you.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #32

Think of the social world like this, every person out there is just an option of the person you can be. Using that idea... what are friends then? Friends would be two or more people who influence each other (directly) to help become the people they hope/plan/destine to be in the end. Maynard and Trent are friends, so ive heard? Dont they work together with the tapeworm project? I think they will share similar beliefs, ideas, influences that any type of friendship would encounter. Its expected that they would spit out, not necesarily the same, but work that is in common with each others, right? I may be wrong, but my friends hear what i have to say, and it affects them... just because maynard and trent are famous people, and im sure much more intelligent than i am, that doesnt make them any less human than i or even you.
Se7en
05-18-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically. .
Uh......yeaaaahhh. I don't post here, just a lurker, but this just compelled me to type up a response. Trent Reznor is a phenomenal musician cut from an entirely different cloth than Maynard, who is also quite talented. Your remarks just make you seem like an ignorant asshole.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically. .
Uh......yeaaaahhh. I don't post here, just a lurker, but this just compelled me to type up a response. Trent Reznor is a phenomenal musician cut from an entirely different cloth than Maynard, who is also quite talented. Your remarks just make you seem like an ignorant asshole.
Nate-Dogg85
05-18-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically.

To support seven, just because MJK is more appealing to you, doesnt mean you can just state that MJK is more gifted. Show me some proof and i might believe you, but i probably wont. Trent is a genious, in my opinion he might be the most genious of any rock musician out there today.

And i dont mean to trash maynard at all... But musically, what has he demonstrated? He can come up with amazing melodies, hes got an amazing voice, one of the best screams in the music scene today, but most importantly he works very well with the other 3 guys in his band. Tool is not a reflection of maynard, its a reflection of all 4 guys working together. Where as someone said, most of NIN is a reflection of the work of trent reznor.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically.

To support seven, just because MJK is more appealing to you, doesnt mean you can just state that MJK is more gifted. Show me some proof and i might believe you, but i probably wont. Trent is a genious, in my opinion he might be the most genious of any rock musician out there today.

And i dont mean to trash maynard at all... But musically, what has he demonstrated? He can come up with amazing melodies, hes got an amazing voice, one of the best screams in the music scene today, but most importantly he works very well with the other 3 guys in his band. Tool is not a reflection of maynard, its a reflection of all 4 guys working together. Where as someone said, most of NIN is a reflection of the work of trent reznor.
AguirreWrathOfTool
05-20-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Ok Einstein...go right now and move out of your parents' basement on the grounds that war over LAND has killed billions of people throughout the ages. If you had any brain at all you would have realized years ago that the problem is not in God but in mankind; take any good or great idea and give it to we fallible, failing humans...of course we're gonna fuck it up. Yes, killing is horrible, but that doesn't necessarily mean that what they're killing for is horrible too. Any intelligent person can make that conclusion. Judge religion by God, Christ, or whoever people believe in...alone. Not by the way stupid people choose to express their beliefs in that god. Kill the messenger but not the boss. And in the meantime, get off your soapbox and get a life because nobody cares. "Oh, I'm gonna boycott a band because I think they don't hate God..." Who's the religious bigot now? Congratulations, you're both a hyporcite and a moron.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

Ok Einstein...go right now and move out of your parents' basement on the grounds that war over LAND has killed billions of people throughout the ages. If you had any brain at all you would have realized years ago that the problem is not in God but in mankind; take any good or great idea and give it to we fallible, failing humans...of course we're gonna fuck it up. Yes, killing is horrible, but that doesn't necessarily mean that what they're killing for is horrible too. Any intelligent person can make that conclusion. Judge religion by God, Christ, or whoever people believe in...alone. Not by the way stupid people choose to express their beliefs in that god. Kill the messenger but not the boss. And in the meantime, get off your soapbox and get a life because nobody cares. "Oh, I'm gonna boycott a band because I think they don't hate God..." Who's the religious bigot now? Congratulations, you're both a hyporcite and a moron.
AquaTarkus's Avatar AquaTarkus
05-20-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I agree. His mother was the religious one (see Judith) and he questioned faith because of it. But he's about as spiritual as you can get and 10,000 Days (the song) just shows his respect for his mother (I thought he hated her for being devout).
...of course that just my opinion - I could be wrong.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #36
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I agree. His mother was the religious one (see Judith) and he questioned faith because of it. But he's about as spiritual as you can get and 10,000 Days (the song) just shows his respect for his mother (I thought he hated her for being devout).
...of course that just my opinion - I could be wrong.
toolmaul
05-21-2006, 11:26 AM

trent and maynard are two of the most gifted artists in the past decade or two.
They're lyrics are actually very similar. Trent might be more anti religion than maynard in fact. Hand that Feeds is not at all positive toward religion, where wings is somewhat positive.
People misinterpret Maynard so much, Opiate isn't about religion its about the people like Pat Robertson, who use it for their own personal gain, Judith isn't about hating god it's more of amazement that his mom would stay devout. Yes it's angry, but not at her
Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

trent and maynard are two of the most gifted artists in the past decade or two.
They're lyrics are actually very similar. Trent might be more anti religion than maynard in fact. Hand that Feeds is not at all positive toward religion, where wings is somewhat positive.
People misinterpret Maynard so much, Opiate isn't about religion its about the people like Pat Robertson, who use it for their own personal gain, Judith isn't about hating god it's more of amazement that his mom would stay devout. Yes it's angry, but not at her
Jizzlobber
05-22-2006, 05:05 AM

Quote:

To say that Maynard is musically more gifted is false. Reznor writes the majority of his music himself, as Maynard is one of the four that writes Tool’s music. You may prefer one or the other in terms of style but no way can you say one or the other is musically more gifted.

In my view the most gifted musicians are, Trent Reznor, Mike Patton and Devin Townsend. And the most gifted band is Tool.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:05 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

To say that Maynard is musically more gifted is false. Reznor writes the majority of his music himself, as Maynard is one of the four that writes Tool’s music. You may prefer one or the other in terms of style but no way can you say one or the other is musically more gifted.

In my view the most gifted musicians are, Trent Reznor, Mike Patton and Devin Townsend. And the most gifted band is Tool.
Suntorn's Avatar Suntorn
05-22-2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzlobber

excellent post!!
Or remember it and follow through? ~ tDB
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 AM   #39
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzlobber

excellent post!!
Or remember it and follow through? ~ tDB
ZeroPointEther's Avatar ZeroPointEther
05-22-2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:

It is so black and white to think that anyone in Tool used to be an atheist and has now turned Christian. If you'd really feel where the lyrics come from you should know they are against dogma, but encourage a deep, almost religious kind of respect for the reality in which we live.

Last edited by ZeroPointEther; 05-22-2006 at 05:40 AM..
Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 AM   #40
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 132

Quote:

It is so black and white to think that anyone in Tool used to be an atheist and has now turned Christian. If you'd really feel where the lyrics come from you should know they are against dogma, but encourage a deep, almost religious kind of respect for the reality in which we live.

Last edited by ZeroPointEther; 05-22-2006 at 05:40 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply