opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 03. Sober
User Name
Password
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5441
layne staley

someone who is at his artistic best when he's loaded. him and maynard were friends.
"Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion."
-Bruce Lee
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: layne staley

Dude how can you say that? Being Loaded is what killed Layne. He simply self destructed on smack.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth's shadow View Post
someone who is at his artistic best when he's loaded. him and maynard were friends.
Really, what the ***k are you trying to say with this thread?

That Maynard loads maybe and maybe thats what brings out his artistic best maybe !!!

But, anyway I think that respect to any drug's share in any artistic creation is a good theme.

How far does it go?
Is it really, really the drug that brings out the best ?
or
Is it simply a patterned lifestyle that has been created for decades in our society?
Isnt emotional inspiration the real drug for creativity?

Personally, drugs I have tried destroy my inspiration. I simply cant get inspired cause I am under the influence and effected by that inevitably and directly. On the other hand one needs to be open, free and receptive in order to get inspired from life.

However I cannot deny the fact. I personally know musicians who simply create differently when they are stoned ( a well known fact always). I can understand this but still have a hard time accepting it especially because of the losses we have suffered as a consequence. Anyway it hurts me to know that the reason behind the beautiful music I listen to is the use of heroin or ganja. I dont know it makes me feel deceived.

I hope someone provides some personal insight into the questions I posed, it would really help me.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivasativa View Post
Anyway it hurts me to know that the reason behind the beautiful music I listen to is the use of heroin or ganja. I dont know it makes me feel deceived.

I feel the exact same way. Its like weed and heroin are the steroids of the music industry.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I never really viewed marijuana as destructive. Call me crazy, call me what you will, but it's really not bad, and I don't even smoke. The worst I've EVER seen it do is cause people to get the munchies and pass out. I fail to see how that is destructive.

Heroine, on the other hand, is completely different.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

alice in chains wouldnt have been the same if it was for herione.

sucks to say but its true.

there are many bands you can chalk up to this too.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivasativa View Post

However I cannot deny the fact. I personally know musicians who simply create differently when they are stoned ( a well known fact always). I can understand this but still have a hard time accepting it especially because of the losses we have suffered as a consequence. Anyway it hurts me to know that the reason behind the beautiful music I listen to is the use of heroin or ganja. I dont know it makes me feel deceived.
Everyone has its own path of perception which crosses with paths of others.

Everyone of us travels differently along those paths. What one will use as a chariot... Heroine, weed, clear mind,... Depends only on own strenght and will.

Someone who wrote that beautiful music you've mentioned, had to stimulate him/herself to bring his/her thoughts to you and the others. And what is more important, to bring his/her own thoughts closer to him/herself. To understand them better.

You both will enjoy same artwork with same strenght... You clearminded and artist loaded... Or vice versa.

Otherwise, art would be pointless if creator or beholder don't enjoy or understand it.

Anyway, I do not approve use of stimulants.

P.S. Too bad for Layne. He was real master.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSolstice View Post
I never really viewed marijuana as destructive. Call me crazy, call me what you will, but it's really not bad, and I don't even smoke. The worst I've EVER seen it do is cause people to get the munchies and pass out. I fail to see how that is destructive.

Heroine, on the other hand, is completely different.
I developed a serious case of paranoia from ganja.... but the effect one drug has on a person depends on countless different parameters.... Besides, passing out is already bad... paranoia is fucked up, it turned me into a shit person and it took me 2 years to recognize it... Now I see it in every stoned person I meet.
So you cant really generalize...

Im not.

I know it is degree different for everyone.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticgynecomastic View Post

Everyone of us travels differently along those paths. What one will use as a chariot... Heroine, weed, clear mind,... Depends only on own strenght and will.
But its almost as if you are trying to say that its the same.... Stimulants are chemical substances that stimulate the senses of the being.... Some gurus have used them for stimulation of certain states of consciousness, however that is not to be taken for granted. Gurus used these in measured doses, like homeopathic medicine uses measures of potential of different serious natural poisons, all for the purpose of healing.

Using stimulants in a way that we do today, has a totally different connotation.

And so , when I receive the song on the other end,,,, and know that it comes from a forced stimulation, simply makes me feel deceived..... Because really ,, on the other hand, a straight stimulation, is not really a stimulation anymore, its a creative reaction..... and that makes it a communicative process...
When my friend makes his song when he is high, the next morning, he cant play that song in the same way again untill he gets stoned again.... And this is a pattern... sadly

I always despised hearing that "It's not riding me... Im riding it..."
I never believed that, cause I could never do it... and I still dont see anyone doing it.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:43 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

drugs are bad mmmkay
Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

On an honest note, do you think metallica was better or worse before rehab? Personally i think that they made better music before they decided to sober up. The only reason i mention that is because if you really think about it, all that matters is the music and how you perceive it. But then again i guess this is coming from a cleaned up drug addict.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Acherontia Styx View Post
Metallica was good at lollapalooza 96
Metallica was whole lot better back in the day.I know that everyone would agree with that,what they do now like that crap St. Anger and load,reload,the black album,for them at least ,they just dont have the same sound as justice,master of puppets,kill em all,ride the lightning.That new stuff they are doing is no where in the realm of their old stuff imo.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Layne Staley

Ever think this song might be written about him? With the knowledge from the quote Adam said in guitar world in 94.

I'll fix and put more info in ere tommrow. Honestly I'm to high.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483
Re: Layne Staley

*too high
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Haha. Thanks. My mistake.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

ya i think it is about him. Maynard was friends with layne afterall
Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

I think it was written about 'an artist friend' of Maynards. so whether that description fits Layne?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

So I take it you don't know who Layne Staley is?
<ru5ty> wat
Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #19
On Probation

Alice in chains singer isn't he? But i've yet to hear anything from that band, so you could say i'm a bit ignorant haha
Old 05-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
Alice in chains singer isn't he? But i've yet to hear anything from that band...

wut
Old 05-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
On Probation

I've never heard any songs from Alice in Chains.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #22
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Criminal.

What I meant was, if you know he was the lead singer of Alice in Chains, then he obviously fits that description.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #23
On Probation

Looked up his wiki, yeah kinda makes sense now
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

haha.

I have held the belief that it was about Layne for a long time. I remember reading somewhere that it was about an artist friend of theirs that thought he was creative only when he was fucked up and never really tried to be creative when sober.

Certainly fits Layne
Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka

Trent would be a viable target, yes; more so if Layne had not bit the dust i think. Im gone stick with layne tho.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Drugs do open doors for musicians that allow them to make music in a new realm. Hell, listen to music sober VS stoned and tell me which SOUNDS better, let alone the actual process of making the music. Look at NIN; WAAAAY more productive after Trent sobered up, but you tell me anything recently (post fragile) that touches anything before fragile (Downward spiral, pretty hate machine, Broken). I mean, im glad the dude cleaned up and all for his sake, but as far as the atmosphere and the sound of, just for one example, HIS music, nothing can even breathe on the fucked up days.

Another point is you can match the drug the artist is on at the time of making the music to the one you do and it make a whole world of difference, this is a personal experience, along with a few people i know that agree with me. Again this is purely subjective! For example, listen to Purple by STP, or better yet BloodSexSugarMagick by RHCP on a opiate...yea a whole new level.

Lateralus on Ayahusca...there you go, hold on cuz you gone be gone for a while.

Im not telling you to try this shit, not saying this is all true, just my opinion, but drugs and music go hand in hand no doubt, always will.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #27
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

producers:

"here take these to make music, that we can sell"
Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #28
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

see i think drugs have....

for real, drugs in moderation and used intelligently are excellent tools

don't know who said it, but "...there's no bad drugs, just stupid people"
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

and always remember.. "in my years of dealing with drug people ive learned that you can turn your back on people, but never turn your back on a drug"- HST
Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude420 View Post
haha.

I have held the belief that it was about Layne for a long time. I remember reading somewhere that it was about an artist friend of theirs that thought he was creative only when he was fucked up and never really tried to be creative when sober.

Certainly fits Layne
yeah there was a quote by Adam about something along those lines and I was listening to junkhead at the time I was reading it. So I thought. Hey that makes sense. I'm not all for direct tool lyric meanings. But this one just stood out.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

He was a great guy. Just had some problems. Everyone does. Too bad his weren't easy to fix or solve. But he sure made the most of of it and made many good songs that have and will continue helping people struggling like him. Or keep people from getting that far down. He was a fun guy. Just a 'sickman' and that is why I'll always admire him and remember him. He helped me realize where I was and now been clean for quite some time. But that's more the story for the addiction/daily drug use thread.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

To be honest I don't think it's about Layne. It could be about anyone. Remember, Maynard was singing this song before tool in the 80s the videos are on youtube somewhere.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Some interesting comments and observations in this thread. I loved AIC and remember how shocking (though not at all unsurprising) to hear that Stayley OD'd.

As far as only being creative when high, I'll give you another name- Scott Weiland. STP was awesome when he was fucked up, absolute shit when he was clean.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: