opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Forum Feedback » Feedback
User Name
Password
Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
King's Gambit

Bincount™: 1526
Creativity Forum

I don't know how much people care about the creativity section - not much apparently - but one reason it fails so miserably is because the posters who dawdle in those parts are far more concerned about their own work than really taking the time to listen/read/view other people's work. I don't know if the perpetual selfishness can be easily remedied, but I have seen success on other forums - granted their entire forum is centered around creativity- by restricting new threads until the respective poster has reviewed (in any manner) two pieces of work.

Doesn't seem like anyone would really care, however, if a mod is down, it is worth a shot to bring the forum back to life as it seems a lot of members have tons of creative output that can be channeled into some creative input.

Last edited by Dodo; 02-05-2009 at 09:04 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367
Re: Creativity Forum

i approve
Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 159

I quite enjoy reading the poetry in that section, therefore I approve also.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #4

Bincount™: 196

lol no. what. you want mods to make up some stupid rule that would force people to comment on each others work? lol. it says: "share your writing, your art, your music with the community" not "make sure you fucking comment on other peoples writing, art and music or gtfo" it would be nice if people did that more often, but its not something anyone is obliged to do, just like noone is obliged to submit their work there in the first place. its just how the world functions, you cant make up some stupid communist rule like that to make yourself feel better or to force some false relationships you think would make things better. its primarily a place for people to post their art and as i said the comments are very much appreciated and welcomed, but not something you should demand from anyone. and i don't think the place is that miserable to begin with. just because people dont comment it doesnt mean they dont read, view or enjoy each others work posted there. they just dont feel like commenting sometimes and they should have that right. there are other ways to encourage people to post, if they need to be encouraged at all, than stupid restrictions like that. also, calling everyone there selfish doesnt help your argument at all, its a rather ignorant and unfair thing to say.

the place could be better, i agree with you, but this is the worst way to go about it imo. seriously.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

ok i approve of the above post too
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
King's Gambit

You took that a bit overboard, Jas. It's more of an encouragement tool than some totalitarianistic rule. Shhh....there are helicopters outside your window!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #7

yeah, im sure thats what stalin and hitler used to say too. seriously though, dont you think that kind of approach is a bit overboard and completely unnecessary as well. "i don't know if the perpetual selfishness can be easily remedied", "it fails so miserably", "bring the forum back to life", youre the one sounding all apocalyptic here, its just a forum and things are really not that bad, its not like noone is posting anything there. making something that should be an enjoyment or an honest act compulsory is not exactly my thing, its more likely to put people off than encourage them to post. id rather see people give their honest opinion when they feel like giving it, although not as frequent, instead of posting something just for the sake of posting, because now they know they have to. if you honestly think the quality of the place would magically improve because of that, youre very naive. people are not little senseless toys in your little sandbox whose actions you can control and rearrange like that lol, its peoples choices, motivations, opinions or lack thereof you're trying to regulate here and its just not as simple as that. something else has to change imo and its not the rules of the game.

Last edited by jasminæ; 02-06-2009 at 05:07 PM..
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Suicide Booth ID: 15

Bincount™: 2221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
...perpetual selfishness...

You lost me there. Get bent.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #9

actually, we don't like that one either

the laws of the jungle ftw
Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962

I agree with Dodo, and would further posit that this type of behavior leads to a constant spewing action by the posters in that forum.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

It's been a rule on other forums before--in general people will not want to read other peoples work and comment (if they haven't done so before being forced to).

If you want to post a poem about a cat and a jar of peanut butter, you're not going to read other peoples prose and comment with your opinions. In fact, you probably wouldn't even read the piece and just end up leaving a generic "nice piece" comment.

Now as the author, would you rather have interested readers comment? Or people merely trying to get their 2 posts to post their poem?

Shitty idea. Wont work.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
King's Gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
It's been a rule on other forums before--in general people will not want to read other peoples work and comment (if they haven't done so before being forced to).

If you want to post a poem about a cat and a jar of peanut butter, you're not going to read other peoples prose and comment with your opinions. In fact, you probably wouldn't even read the piece and just end up leaving a generic "nice piece" comment.

Now as the author, would you rather have interested readers comment? Or people merely trying to get their 2 posts to post their poem?

Shitty idea. Wont work.
It would make sense that people would just want to fill their docket. But all the boards I've been at that enforce this rule will usually surprise you with how constructive the feedback is. Because as artists you all have interesting ideas, but it's just easier to worry about posting your own work. If someone "encouraged" you to critique some work, 9/10 the poster will actually give it some great thought.

But it was just a suggestion, I rarely even go to that subforum anyways.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
dan
tool fan

If no one cares about others work, why post at all?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
Virgin Mary Jane

Bincount™: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
If no one cares about others work, why post at all?
What?

"Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see there is so much more
and beckons me to look through to these infinite possibilities.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend."
Old 02-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
It would make sense that people would just want to fill their docket. But all the boards I've been at that enforce this rule will usually surprise you with how constructive the feedback is. Because as artists you all have interesting ideas, but it's just easier to worry about posting your own work. If someone "encouraged" you to critique some work, 9/10 the poster will actually give it some great thought.

But it was just a suggestion, I rarely even go to that subforum anyways.
you just admitted you rarely visit that subforum, but somehow you have everybodies psychological profile down and you know that the main reason they dont comment on each others work is because they are these selfish savages who cannot communicate with others properly without your cultivation and guidance? really, just shut up about the whole selfish thing already. things are not perfect, but they are definitely not as bad as you're trying to portray them. people do comment on each others work and a simple look at the thread views will tell you that people do read and do care about each others poetry/prose/whatever. there are not many authors in there to begin with and now you want to implement some stupid rule that would probably even further refrain people from posting?

also, if people actually had these grand, brilliant, constructive ideas to share with others dont you think they would be already doing that on their own? or they do have them, but might not have the time or might not be in the mood for posting or maybe, yes, they simply don't give a shit, is it such a fucking crime to not give a shit about something sometimes. you don't know what the hell goes on through their heads and you act like you have it all figured out. and somehow in your opinion it all boils down to them being selfish. wtf, seriously. i think you're taking many posters there for granted and acting like a patronazing ass or you really never even laid your eyes on that forum and i cant believe you even made this thread. theres just way too much generalizing going on in here. im definitely not going to act like i have it all figured out either and to be honest i dont think this is a debate any of us here should be having in the first place, the posters who actually contribute and submit their work there on a regular basis should be the ones discussing this if they feel it needs to be dicussed. if they're down with the rule and actually think it might benefit the forum, then sure, why not. but then again, if everyone there was down with the rule, then why have the rule in the first place? isnt everybody able to motivate themselves on their own without some stupid rule telling them what or what not to do?

i think people are competent enought to do it on their own without this kind of outside "help", theres really no need to complicate things to such extent.

it would probably also mean more work for the mods, because someone would obviously have to supervise the whole system, bunch of unnecessary crap if you ask me

i dont know, there are different ways to do it, anyone who specifically wants their work to be reviewed more in detail could just simply write that under their piece or something and im sure people will respond. its a start i guess. i just think everyone needs to communicate with each other more if they care that much and things might change. these impersonal, ridig rules wont do shit imo.

Last edited by jasminæ; 02-08-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I agree with Dodo, and would further posit that this type of behavior leads to a constant spewing action by the posters in that forum.
constant spewing action? there was some spewing action taking place in there recently, but you binned and banned it and it was taken care of that way. it had nothing to do with how things function in there, it was just the type of action you get to see anywhere on tdn on an almost daily basis. this idea of his wouldnt be able to prevent people from trolling and personally crusading against each other in any way.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
King's Gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminæ View Post
you just admitted you rarely visit that subforum, but somehow you have everybodies psychological profile down and you know that the main reason they dont comment on each others work is because they are these selfish savages who cannot communicate with others properly without your cultivation and guidance? really, just shut up about the whole selfish thing already. things are not perfect, but they are definitely not as bad as you're trying to portray them.
Wow, you should really see a psychologist.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #18
King's Gambit

I'll just take it upon myself to read threads and then try to make constructive posts. It's really the first step in unleashing my plan to dominate and control the subforum through psych-warfare and dictorial rule.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #19
Suicide Booth ID: 15

Bincount™: 2221

lol
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #20

i was on to you before your mother even popped you out of her deformed placenta
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
I don't know how much people care about the creativity section - not much apparently - but one reason it fails so miserably is because the posters who dawdle in those parts are far more concerned about their own work than really taking the time to listen/read/view other people's work. I don't know if the perpetual selfishness can be easily remedied, but I have seen success on other forums - granted their entire forum is centered around creativity- by restricting new threads until the respective poster has reviewed (in any manner) two pieces of work.

Doesn't seem like anyone would really care, however, if a mod is down, it is worth a shot to bring the forum back to life as it seems a lot of members have tons of creative output that can be channeled into some creative input.
How the do you know if there is constructive criticism be giving to authors and muso's in the creativity section? Ever thought that maybe there are people out there who may be sensitive to the artists feelings and actually send their critiques via a private message?
Also take a look at the view count of the submissions there, sure there may not be a lot of public replies being made but most of the stuff is actually being checked out.
There is no need to make more rules, why dont you set an example, inspire the forum and get some momentum going instead.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Heart View Post
Ever thought that maybe there are people out there who may be sensitive to the artists feelings and actually send their critiques via a private message?
loooooooooool
Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #23
a vampire, a lycan

Bincount™: 2264

david galcowitz
Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 AM   #24
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Keep writing, keep inspiring.

Rinse and repeat.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
dan
tool fan

Creativity ends up being like a forum version of the Post a Pic thread. Everyone dumps their photos in, few people leave comments about others' photos.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #26
King's Gambit

And it looks like, for music, everyone has moved to either the bin, or socialize, for posting their music.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
dan
tool fan

For the exact reasons posted (by us) in this thread. Nobody cares to give you an opinion!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #28

i know, how dare you not care! we need to make them care, dan.

uh i know, lets try and remedy the perpetual selfishness by restricting new threads until the respective poster has reviewed (in any manner) two pieces of work! omg, i cant believe no one thought of this before. that'll show them, bitches be bursting with care and compassion after this. we can just call it a "caring" rule or "mommy, mommy, nobody wants to play with my toys, make them play with my toys, mooooooooooooooommy" rule. this is gonna be just brilliant, i can already feel it work, make me a moderator please.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #29
King's Gambit

You're very paranoid.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #30
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:

I'd like to know what other forums center on creativity so I can promptly sign up on those as well.
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #31
King's Gambit

Well the one I'm referring to is writingforums.org. It's a very good site for poetry, novels, etc. Anything writing oriented. Very intelligent writers there, including professionals. And yes, they implement this rule. So if you post your work it WILL be commented on.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Well the one I'm referring to is writingforums.org. It's a very good site for poetry, novels, etc. Anything writing oriented. Very intelligent writers there, including professionals. And yes, they implement this rule. So if you post your work it WILL be commented on.
Sweet. I am a writer and this site should work great for me. Thanks man!
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #33
dan
tool fan

But there is no way such a good idea would work here, right jasminae.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:00 AM   #34
Mistress of the Sea

Bincount™: 1705

Things are fine how they are in Creativity imo.

Next.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #35
dan
tool fan

They only want criticism if it's fawning adoration.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: