opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 07. Undertow
User Name
Password
Old 12-23-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
You should know

shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, SENSE YOUR ENEMY.

Rage Against The Machine's. . . "Know Your Enemy."
Who helped out vocally on Rage's "Know Your Enemy." MJK.

Sense Your Enemy,
ThreeDeviations
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 93
Re: You should know

it's "you're saturating me."
"missed me, missed me, now you've got to kiss me. if you kiss me mister, you must think i'm pretty. if you think so, mister, you must want to fuck me. if you fuck me mister, that must mean you love me. if you love me, mister, you would never leave me. it's as simple as can be."

- Missed Me, The Dresden Dolls.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:43 PM   #3
On Probation

I don't care what's posted in the lyrics section....
listen closely- without skepticism.

It's "SENSE YOUR ENEMY."

Just like in Prison Sex when the 2nd time through the verse he says "close enough so I can DROWN you...." (not "smell" you..)

Three Deviations
Old 12-25-2003, 07:23 AM   #4
the moose is loose

Bincount™: 7462

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourningstar
it's "you're saturating me."
Old 12-28-2003, 06:01 PM   #5
On Probation

Sense Your Enemy
Old 12-28-2003, 08:47 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 93

those lyrics are Maynard's originals.
"missed me, missed me, now you've got to kiss me. if you kiss me mister, you must think i'm pretty. if you think so, mister, you must want to fuck me. if you fuck me mister, that must mean you love me. if you love me, mister, you would never leave me. it's as simple as can be."

- Missed Me, The Dresden Dolls.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:45 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

its saturating me, dude. Listen to some live mp3s if you dont wanna believe the album version.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:48 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

also on RATM's song, no where in the lyrics does it say sense your enemy.
"i've got no patience now. So sick of complacence now. Sick of, sick of, sick of, you. Time has come to pay.", and no where does zach say it either. Why would you think there would be any connection, even when none of the lyrics are the same?
Old 12-31-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
On Probation

I never said that on "Know Your Enemy" from RATM, that the phrase "sense your enemy" was ever stated during that song.

I was implying that it might not be a coincidence that he sang on RATM's "Know Your Enemy..." and now he MIGHT HAVE been making a SUBTLE tribute to that song, and Rage, when he says the WORDS "SENSE YOUR ENEMY" on Tool's song, "UNDERTOW." Maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with Rage's "Know Your Enemy" song... that doesn't change the fact he says "sense your enemy" on the song, Undertow. You can clearly hear the second "S" in the word "senSe."

Also, I never said that on other live MP3 versions, of the song Undertow, that he doesn't say "saturating me." However, on the CD "Undertow," he says "Sense your enemy...." and NOT "saturating me..." Try actually listening to it before you just make a post saying otherwise. Try actually listening to it before you just make a post saying otherwise. Try actually listening to it before you make a post saying otherwise.

You = blind inertia.

I know it says that Maynard actually submitted the lyrics himself. That doesn't mean that everything he has written down for you to interpret is actually what he means... or actually what he even says.

"But Maynard wrote it down!!!" Blah blah blah....

You forgot their first suggestion.....

Think (and hear) for yourself.

ThreeDeviations
Old 01-08-2004, 07:51 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

They're 2 different songs man...lt's "shut up, shut up, shut up, you're saturating me." lt's quite obvious if you just listen to the song.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #11
On Probation

Allforunity.

You're entitled to be wrong, man. It's okay, man. You have company, man.

Maybe you outta go listen to the song, man. Actually listen, man. Listen for the "s," man.

"Quite obvious?" You're an amusing boy, man.

They're two different songs, man? Wow, thanks for the insight, man.

Ya can't see the forest for the trees, man.

You're wrong, man.

Sense Your Enemy.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 01-08-2004 at 12:04 PM..
Old 01-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #12
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

its slurred but i figured it was saturating me... sense your enemy doesnt have anything to do with the song
Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166

treedeviations, you wouldnt happen to have another name on here such as tomatoms would you?

i just listened to it again, thinking maybe it might say "sense your enemy" it doesnt. it is "saturating me" there is no second "s" sound, what you are hearing is the way the "t" in "saturating" sounds like it should be "ch" this sound, along with the snare drum behind it, cause a sound that could almost be heard as "s" but not really..

also.. prison sex... i dont know what schizophrenic fantasy caused you to think he says "drown you" instead of "smell you" and yes, i just listened to that one too..
Old 01-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

Right, when you listen for what a song says you have to try and clear your mind of ANY WORDS AT ALL, otherwise, slured words will seem to be a word you're thinking for...

In undertow, he says Saturating me, but if you THINK of sense your enemy, it does, actually sound like sense your enemy.

Perhaps someone should get maynard to pronounce his Gs more to resolve these things lol =P
Old 01-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
On Probation

Tarting to make more tents?

No, I don't have a name on here other than this one... ThreeDeviations is it.

As for you implying that I am trying to somehow will Maynard into saying "sense your enemy..."
You're wrong.

I actually used to think he said "saturating me." It's posted and it does make sense in the context of the song. So I did think he said that until a couple year ago. I discovered he says SENSE YOUR ENEMY after listening intently- shortly after I realized it didn't sound right - based on the lyrics posted.

Also, "SENSE YOUR ENEMY" does make PERFECT sense in the context of the song. If you don't think it does, then you don't know what the song is about.

So no, it's not me at home wishing, calculating... giggling and vigorously rubbing my hands together over a huge pot of bubbling, steaming chemicals.

What Radmanic said in the previous post..."Perhaps someone should get maynard to pronounce his Gs more to resolve these things."
You hear no "g" because there isn't a "g" in sense your enemy. Ahhh, it's all starting to make sense now.

Or as you would say..... "Ahhh, it's all tarting to make tents now."

Say the word "saturating." It is pronounced Sa-Chur-ATE-Ing. The words said in the song are sung like this....
Sense-yor-N-uh-me. Go listen to the song again. (You'll try to block out the possibility of him actually saying sense your enemy... but try it anyhow)
You'll find a way to shrug off the fact that you cannot hear any sort of "T" either....
There are TWO T's in "saTuraTing" -neither of which are pronounced during the phrase. The word "your" in the phrase can be heard perfectly clear, too.

There is no way to say the word "saturating" without pronouncing the word "ATE." There is no way to say the word "saturating" without prounoncing the word "ATE." There is no way to say the word "saturating" without pronouncing the word "ATE." Sa-Chur-ATE-ing Me.
There is no "ATE" during the phrase of the song.
Try to say it without pronouncing the "ATE."
Try it.
See.
Ya can't do it.
Neither can Maynard...
Nor did he try to.

As for Prison Sex....... Maynard certainly says...... "close enough so I can DROWN you."
Granted, the first time he says "close enough so I can SMELL you...." but the 2nd time he says "close enough so I can DROWN you."
You'll hear that one eventually, too... Keep treading Water- Keep treading Water-

Maybe you outta go read some other posts of mine before you discredit me.
I know what I am talking about.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 01-09-2004 at 11:41 PM..
Old 01-10-2004, 01:46 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

I think it's pretty clear that he says "sense your enemy". In listening to the song, I can't hear the word "saturating" even if I try to. I understand it's listed as "you're saturating me", but for whatever reason Maynard has, I dont think that's what he says either.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #17
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
What Radmanic said in the previous post..."Perhaps someone should get maynard to pronounce his Gs more to resolve these things."
You hear no "g" because there isn't a "g" in sense your enemy. Ahhh, it's all starting to make sense now.
What radmanics (with a lower case r) said was a joke...

I'm listening to it again and again and it sounds like..

"satur your enemy"

no way can the start of saturating be sense.. the CHU is far to prominent.

If sense your enemy does fit with the meaning of the song, please, enlighten us to the one, perfect meaning you know which we must not.

I've not really thought about this song much, but according to the FAQ an inturpritation of the song, is that it is about drug addiction... saturating me, I feel, would make more sense then "sense your enemy"

And calm down.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #18
On Probation

Super-Ego vs. ID

radmanic- You're coming along slowly. At least now you're to the point where you admit that he says 3 words.... and you acknowledge that 2 of the 3 are what I say he says.

and you've really already proven my own argument- obviously, "satur your enemy" doesn't make sense... and you concede the words "your" and "enemy" are correct now. So why wouldn't you just concede the first word being "sense?" Afterall, it would make sense.

As you stated before, you say the words are a bit "slured." (slurred)
I don't really think "slurred" is the right word. But I understand what you meant. The words are sung together... as if "senseyourenemy" is just one big word fused together.

So when you think you're hearing the "satur".... it's actually Maynard just transitioning the emphasis from the "sense" to the "your." That's where it causes that foggy area- in your opinion. But it's just the transition of emphasis.
sensyorenuhme... if you say words "sense" and "your" as one word... it causes a little friction between consonants- the 2nd "s" in sense and the "y" in your.

and the "sense your enemy..." isn't the only part of the song where he sings something different than what is listed in the lyrics.
Here are actually what is said during this song.

Two times down!
I've been struckdumb by a voice
that speaks from deep
beneath the endless water
that's twice as clear as heaven
twice as loud as reason
deep and rich like silt on a riverbed...
just as neverending.

Currents mouth below me
opens up around me
suggests 'n beckons all while swallowing
surrounds 'n drowns and wipes me away.

But I'm so comfortable, so comfortable.

Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, - senseyourenemy.

How can I 'this bring me back to my knees?

Third time that ...
I've been baptized by a voice that screams, from deep beneath the calm of the water that's half as high as heaven, half as clear as reason. ("reason" repeated again faintly)
Clear and black like silt on a riverbed.
'Just as neverending. . .
Currents mouth below me, opens up around me.
Suggests and beckons all while swallowing....
'surrounds and drowns and wipes me away.

But I'm so comfortable, too comfortable.

Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, 'sense your enemy.

How can I let this happen?

Why don't you kill me? I am weak and numb and insignificant.

How can I 'this bring me back to my knees?

Eu phor i a
Eu phor i a
Eu phor i a
Eu phor i a

I'm back down I'm in the undertow.
I'm helpless, and I'm awake...
I'm in the undertow.
Way down.... beneath the undertow.
There doesn't seem no other way out of the undertow....

Euphoria.

An explanation of the song?

I agree that it's about an overwhelming craving.

The song is an ongoing "conversation" and tug o' war between Maynard's SUPER EGO and his ID. (Freud)

I think less is more... in terms of trying to explain this to you. But that probably won't work for me... so I'll do my best to make it clear.

The ID narrates most of the song.... When you read it below, think of it like you're reading a play.

In the first verse of the song, the "ID" refers to a voice... that voice, is his SUPER-EGO.

ID:
(ID acknowledging that it hears the suggestions from the super-ego... but isn't ready to concede its desires, just because it's getting lectured from the super-ego.)

"Two times down!
I've been struckdumb by a "voice" (voice is the super-ego)
that speaks from deep
beneath the endless water
that's twice as clear as heaven
twice as loud as reason
deep and rich like silt on a riverbed...
just as neverending.

ID:
(giving an analogy of going under the influence of his addiction. The craving grinning, whispering and swallowing him whole... )

Currents mouth below me
opens up around me
suggests 'n beckons all while swallowing
surrounds 'n drowns and wipes me away.

ID:
(sensing the super-ego isn't going to be happy about the decision of surrendering to the craving- tries to justify his decision)

But I'm so comfortable.... so comfortable."

SUPER-EGO:
(The super-ego won't rationalize comfort from the ID... The super-ego is frustrated, pissed off, and doesn't want to hear another word from ID now)

"Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up.... sense your enemy!

SUPER-EGO:
( Super Ego realizes he's once again been dominated by the ID, and is frustrated that it let the ID get the best [or worst] of the situation.. asks itself...)

How can I (let) this bring me back to my knees?"

ID:
(ID is narrating/explaining/singing again. Getting ready to give in to the urge once again. Acknowledging it still hears the super-ego's voice of reason. The Super-Ego's message is clear and neverending... and now the super-ego is "screaming"... yet, the ID remains calm and unphazed)

"Third time that ...
I've been baptized by a voice that screams, from deep beneath the calm of the water that's half as high as heaven, half as clear as reason.
Clear and black like silt on a riverbed.
'Just as neverending. . .
Currents mouth below me, opens up around me.
Suggests and beckons all while swallowing....
'surrounds and drowns and wipes me away.

But I'm so comfortable. Too comfortable."

Super-Ego: (Super-Ego is frustrated once again at the ID- and now the Super-Ego is even starting to question "itself" because it wasn't strong enough to stop the ID from acting once again... but Super-Ego lectures again)

"Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up.... Sense your enemy!

How can I let this happen?"

ID:
(coming down from its high... feeling depressed that it is no longer being consumed by the high... and trembling at the thought of having to wait... for another period of pleasure. ID realizes its negative effect on Maynard's/Super-Ego's overall well-being... and is feeling guilty and vulnerable and over-the-top... like a junkie without a fix)

"Why don't you kill me? I am weak and numb and insignificant!"

Super-Ego:
(Super-ego realizes he's gettin whipped by something he should easily be managing...)

"How can I let this bring me back to my knees?!"

ID:
(Here, the ID basically needling the Super-Ego with soft whispers of "euphoria..." The ID is answering the Super-Ego's question of "How can I let this bring me back to my knees..?" Even the super-ego at this point is being overwhelmed by the craving... and the ID tells him why. Even the super-ego cannot deny the pleasure at this point)

"Eu phor i a. Eu phor i a. Eu phor i a. Eu phor i a."

Super-Ego-
(The super-ego has now given up... it too, has now totally been consumed by the craving. So now the Super-Ego and ID are hand in hand... in the undertow together. The Super-Ego's strength and morality have been suffocated. The Super-Ego is conscious [awake] of this, which makes it even more disturbing.... it knows it is wrong, but it's helpless. This unfortunately has happened before... despite it's genuine attempt to squelch the ID's influence on the overall self)

Super-Ego:

"I'm back down.
I'm in the undertow.
I'm helpless and I'm awake...
I'm in the undertow...
way down beneath the undertow
there doesn't seem no other way out of the undertow.
...Euphoria..."

ThreeDeviations

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 01-11-2004 at 08:39 PM..
Old 01-12-2004, 01:19 AM   #19
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518

dear fucking christ . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 01-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #20
On Probation

also

That was my interpretation of the song....

However, I don't necessarily feel Maynard consciously was thinking about the ID, Ego, and Super-Ego when he wrote it.

But in essence... that's really what's going on in the song.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:14 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

for the record

Listen to the song. Put aside pre-programmed thinking.

I am unable to understand how anyone THINKS they hear "saturating me"..... you can't fit that many syllables into what he sings!

Listen. Without bias.

It is "sense your enemy." I have always heard those words.

And I think Threedeviations does an excellent job of providing a logical explanation of why "sense your enemy" makes perfect sense in the context of this song.

Listen. Be open-minded.

It's good advice for everything you encounter in life.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:31 PM   #22
Banned.

Personally, I still think it's "saturating me"... I've been trying to sing it like Maynard, and it comes out (To my ears) as sat your enemy.

Maybe it's because I know nothing of Freud yet, but you seemed to start off with the Super Ego trying to persuade the ID... and end up with the ID having persuaded the Super Ego; or more, I feel you've messed up which "voice" is saying which parts. How ever you explained it, it left me feeling slightly confused as to their roles.

You didn't explain where "sense your enemy" fitted in either; why would the Super Ego be telling the ID to "sense" its "enemy" when the Super Ego's "enemy" would be the ID? Unless it has suddenly switched from addressing the ID to talking to itself.

I'm not trying to annoy you, or destroy your post, I am meerly trying to clear things up.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:02 AM   #23
On Probation

We fail. Somtimes there's pleasure in failure.

The song is a microcosm of life's temptations. In your mind, you generally know what is right and wrong. You try to do what is right. You try to remember your morality in situations that are tempting you to do what's wrong.. But sometimes, that voice in your head- reminding you of what is right and wrong is not enough. Sometimes, the conscious inevitability of the guilt that will follow is not enough to stop you. Sometimes, weakness, lust, euphoria... get the worst of you, then befriend you.

Knowing what is right is not always enough to stop us from doing what is wrong-There is pleasure in darkness.

Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy.

To answer your question-

When he says "shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up... sense your enemy!"
He's throwing water on his face. He's shaking his own shoulders. He's smacking his own face... trying to remember... Trying to wake up.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemy- then they become best friends.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 01-14-2004 at 01:06 AM..
Old 01-14-2004, 08:29 AM   #24
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518

you're wrong . . .

if you really want to know, email maynardjameskeenan . . .

he'll probably tell you to blow him, and you'll do it, but at least you tried . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 01-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 337

it doesn't exactly sound like saturating but that's what it's supposed to be and what the live mp3s sound like it should be... even if it doesn't sound exactly like what it is, that's his right. what do you care?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #26
On Probation

Crow.

You're a waste.
It's not my fault you grew up without a father.
(It's not any of the other members' fault, either)
So how bout you drop your attitude that you have in every single post.
Fuck this, fuck that.. blow this, blow that. You're sad.

At least you have this medium to take the brunt of your pathetic existence.

Misery loves company... and you still can't find a friend.

If by you ripping my post... trying to bring me down to your level is what it takes in order for you to not slit your wrists... then keep posting all the negativity. I'll be your martyr.

In the meantime, bastard, make another worthless post. Eventually, you'll reach your goal of having the most 3 line posts on TDN!

That will surely elevate your self-worth.

Magdalena Jane- That's "his right" to say the lyrics how he chooses? Oh, my apologies then. I wasn't aware of that.
Thank You.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #27
Banned.

There's a very faint "your" before the offending phrase, I think.. explain that if it's "sense your enemy"..

You've sunk to a lower level than crow with that amount of offence for virtually no reason. You've been self rightous right through this thread, so look at yourself first k.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #28
On Probation

RADMANIC

He says something under his breath before the "offending phrase.." (Haha, now "sense your enemy" is offensive?)

His mumbling, or breathing before he says "sense your enemy" is so people like you won't question a damn thing that's written.

He says "sense your enemy"-

If you can't handle it. Fine.

If you want to keep on thinking it's saturating... fine.

I don't care if you're wrong.

I was just trying to give you some insight.

I suppose he doesn't say "drown" in Prison Sex, either, right?

It's not really "self-righteous" when you're right. It's just called "being right."

Conviction to truth.

If that equates to arrogance and self-righteousness in your mind- then you need some new perspective.

as for Crow- He's a worthless idiot.
All the posts I've read of his are all very short and they're all very negative. He has nothing worth reading- just terrified shit.

He has no business even listening to Tool with his attitude- It's an oxymoron.

So if you found it offensive... good. At least you interpreted something correctly.

One last thing...

The funny thing is, if it was written down on the lyrics page that he says "sense your enemy," instead of "saturating me...." you would've never thought twice about it when you heard him sing that part. You would've never questioned a damn thing. You'd just smile and sing "sense your enemy" along with all of your friends. . .
Then some bozo would get on TDN, and make a post saying "I think he says "saturating me" instead of "sense your enemy..." then you and all of your friends would point your finger and giggle... and say, "Who does this self-righteous asshole think he is?"
Old 01-16-2004, 11:18 AM   #29
Banned.

Bincount™: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmanics
There's a very faint "your" before the offending phrase, I think.. explain that if it's "sense your enemy".
i hear that too and he has a point.

but so does threedeviations...
"The funny thing is, if it was written down on the lyrics page that he says "sense your enemy," instead of "saturating me...." you would've never thought twice about it when you heard him sing that part. You would've never questioned a damn thing. You'd just smile and sing "sense your enemy" along with all of your friends. . .

that would be sadly true if it completely sounded like your assumption but it doesn't. the "your" is there in what i hear at least.... not that it matters

why is there so much anger in a line of lyrics?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:59 PM   #30
On Probation

He mumbles something before he says 'sense your enemy'-

It doesn't sound like any word. But when you assume that he says "saturating me..." your mind automatically fills in the gray, with blue.

Of course it could be him actually saying "you're" so all of you clones would never question anything...

you're quick to assume it must be "you're" even though it's clearly, unclear.

... yet, "sense your enemy" is as clear as a blue sky..... and you salivate in a instant to argue against it.

I'm tired of wasting my breath on this- Butterfly Soul and Taco are apparently the only ones other than me with a pulse... and that's sad, and somewhat frustrating.

Anyhow... see ya later. Maybe I'll see ya at the next Tool concert... I'll be the one watching and listening.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:22 PM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

yeah, i just listened, and i only heard "saturating me" he splits up the syllables like so:

"you're sat - ur - ating me."
" - sense your enemy."

i can see where that idea would come from, even though it's wrong.

now to sit back and wait for threedeviations to tell me off and how i'm a bad tool fan and am not a deep thinker and how he is the only one who can handle the depth of tool. but i thought maynard said that the songs were for interpretation by the listener.

so fuck you, threedeviations, i could think that he says "dispense your apathy" and that would be just as correct as "sense your enemy," since it's my interpretation of the song, which is the reason that these songs are written according to the band...for whatever interpretation the listener finds. my interpretation is what i hear..."saturating me."

so fuck you and fuck your self-righteous attitude.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:47 PM   #32
On Probation

It's funny how this tool blabblers on about how it's all up to the listener's interpretation... and whatever that is- then that's what is correct and all that really matters.

and then... you don't have enough sense to realize the hypocrisy that you harbor... then your ignorance manifests in words.
This is your quote..........

"i can see where that idea would come from, even though it's wrong." - ohshuashua

So which is it gonna be you hypocritical amoeba-

It's funny you chose "dispense your apathy..." as your example.
That's what you've done here...
You've stated it doesn't really matter what he really says... it's all up to the listener and whatever lyrics and message the listener assumes... then that's all that matters.
(because that's what your hero Maynard told you)

So according to you...
All opinions are pointless- other than yours.
Only what you think the song is about is what's important.
Aww, how beautiful. . .
Nice mantra. . .

and
then
you
call
ME
self-righteous.

Words don't really matter? Meaning doesn't really have meaning? Wow, I feel enlightened. Do you teach philosophy at the local community college?

Nothing matters?
Good.
Go listen to Blink 182 then.

and yes, you are a bad Tool fan.

and yes, you're not a deep thinker.

it's my contention that you have watch, and you have to listen before you can be a thinker... so it's no wonder you're clueless.

an no, I am not the only one who understands Tool's music... but I'm looking around the room, and you're not here.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #33
Banned.

What makes me call you self rightous is you, saying that everyone else hearing "saturating me" is wrong. You've just told him off for saying you are wrong... hypocrasy to you too.

By "offending phrase" I meant the phrase "saturating me"/"sense your enemy" or whatever you interpriting it as: the group of sounds which form words are "offending" because they are causing this disput.

I am going to finish with this thread now. I've tried to keep an open mind though this, and you're just not worth the effort in my view. Which, I must insist, is a few which is right to me. It may not be right to you, but it is my opinion, and my opinions matter to me more than other people's, especially one obtained from a while of "watching and listening". If you find some hypocrasy in there, I don't care.

In this interview I found on kazaa, with maynard, he talked about his way of self reflection. He said he really concentrated on what he disliked, hated about a person. He wrote it down, and then changed the you into I. I think you should do that about crow TD; sure his/her posts are rather small, often lacking in creative content, but maybe that's how s/he wishes to post in order to make people think about crow's posts. And don't tell me to do the same, I intend to at some point, and I think you've made your way onto my list. (And I only suguested it).

Although you've show understanding, you still seem to lack the ability to recognise subtext in people's posts. Just try thinking and questioning a little more as to what people mean okay?

Sorry if I sound all knowing/self rightous; I'm just trying to help...

so yeah, I'm not going to post again unless I get really pissed off again.

Just think..study.. later.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:55 AM   #34
On Probation

It's not hypocrisy.

I am telling you that's what he says. "Sense your enemy."

If you want to be wrong. Then be wrong.

I never said... "ahh, it's all about feeling warm and fuzzy and making your own connection to the song. Whatever my mind interprets as the words and meaning is all that matters." (to paraphrase ohshuashua)

Go read all my posts again.

www.webster.com
Old 01-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #35
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogshit Taco
I think it's pretty clear that he says "sense your enemy". In listening to the song, I can't hear the word "saturating" even if I try to. I understand it's listed as "you're saturating me", but for whatever reason Maynard has, I dont think that's what he says either.
well it depends how your mind molds it.
think of this:

he bends the word saturating

instead of sat'U'rating, dont pernounce it as 'Err'
but YOU. sat-you-rating me"

its for effect
Old 01-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
well it depends how your mind molds it.
think of this:

he bends the word saturating

instead of sat'U'rating, dont pernounce it as 'Err'
but YOU. sat-you-rating me"

its for effect
exactly what i said. it's not what he says, it's how he says it.

sat ur ating me

sense your ene me
Old 01-20-2004, 09:37 PM   #37
On Probation

well...

This topic is pretty well spent.

I am certain he says sense your enemy...

if you guys think he says saturating.... so be it.

but... I bet whenever you hear it in the future... you're going to think of this post... and eventually, you WILL hear it as "sense your enemy." It's how YOU are molding it now which is the reason you don't detect it. I used to have the same mold.

- just like in Prison Sex when I told my friend that he says... close enough so I can "drown" you- the 2nd time through that part.
He denied it and said I was full of shit like most of you are doing now... but then one day he heard it. . . then wondered how he hadn't heard it before. It's exactly why you guys choose not to hear sense your enemy... you're used to hearing/thinking of it as saturating.

and as for Inner Combustion's point... even if he did pronounce it as "sat-you-rating-me" ... he still doesn't come close to pronouncing the "rating" part of your breakdown. The 2nd letter "a" in saturAting is a long vowel.... not a short one. It's impossible to pronounce that word correctly with having the 2nd A as a short vowel sound.

I hear "sense your enemy" clearly. I just ask you listen to it 5 times...... and mouth it along with maynard as he sings that part. You'll hear it. . . at least eventually.

and combustion- I think it is what he says..... and it is how he says it..... both are important.... he tumbles the phrase from top to bottom.

This post is all over the place.... but- I bet the same people who can only hear "saturating me".... are the same people who cannot hear "drown" me in Prison Sex.

I have a suggestion to help you hear the "sense your enemy."
Listen for the end of the phrase first....
So first try to hear the "enemy..." then after you've heard that, then listen for the "your" and then after you've heard those two.... you'll hear the "sense."

I am listening to it now.... there's no way you can't hear it if you break it down like that-

try headphones, too.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #38
Banned.

So I lied.. if you try to listen for something you WILL hear it... As I've said before. This thread is pointless now. I'm going to stop watching it.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:58 PM   #39
On Probation

Yes, dont you wonder why you always come back, Rad?

I know why.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

l just love this song.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: