opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 07. Undertow
User Name
Password
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Undertow's application to myself

i love how tool's songs can take on so many different meanings for so many different people, and i just wanted to share a recent experience of mine with this song.

i love weed, and i like to smoke it, but i was getting to the point where i was smoking it way too much and with the wrong intentions. i smoke weed to stimulate my consciousness, so that i can think in different ways and think of different things. recently, however, i was getting to the point where id smoke and then just sit down and watch a movie or play a game. i wouldn't really do any contemplation or anything; i was getting away from my original intentions. so i decided that i would enjoy the 420 holiday and then take a month off from weed.

so yesterday, i was sitting in class listening to this album when this song came on. i was trying to pay attention to my prof, so i wasnt listening extremely closely, but then the part came on where maynard starts saying "shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, you're saturating me." and he sang it with such passion that i started paying attention to the rest of the song right there and it struck me that this song is very applicable to myself and my experience with weed.

when i smoke weed (in moderation) i feel like my world is so... awesome. like its "twice as clear as heaven" and "twice as loud as reason" but then as i progressively smoke more and more, i lose the clarity and things kind of become "half as clear as heaven" and "half as loud as reason". i felt like the weed was saturating me, and i was a bit angry that i had let that happen. i was comfortable with weed.. a bit too comfortable. but you know, when you're high you get that euphoria.

so yeah, i could feel myself getting sucked into that undertow of wrong intentions, and im glad i was able to take a step back and realize that, you know?

and yeah, i realize that the song is probably originally about certain drug addiction and stuff, but i was just kind of struck by how it became applicable to me. i just thought id share, and see if anyone else has had the same sort of experience with this song.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
Re: Undertow's application to myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Intension View Post
i love how tool's songs can take on so many different meanings for so many different people, and i just wanted to share a recent experience of mine with this song.

i love weed, and i like to smoke it, but i was getting to the point where i was smoking it way too much and with the wrong intentions. i smoke weed to stimulate my consciousness, so that i can think in different ways and think of different things. recently, however, i was getting to the point where id smoke and then just sit down and watch a movie or play a game. i wouldn't really do any contemplation or anything; i was getting away from my original intentions. so i decided that i would enjoy the 420 holiday and then take a month off from weed.

so yesterday, i was sitting in class listening to this album when this song came on. i was trying to pay attention to my prof, so i wasnt listening extremely closely, but then the part came on where maynard starts saying "shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, you're saturating me." and he sang it with such passion that i started paying attention to the rest of the song right there and it struck me that this song is very applicable to myself and my experience with weed.

when i smoke weed (in moderation) i feel like my world is so... awesome. like its "twice as clear as heaven" and "twice as loud as reason" but then as i progressively smoke more and more, i lose the clarity and things kind of become "half as clear as heaven" and "half as loud as reason". i felt like the weed was saturating me, and i was a bit angry that i had let that happen. i was comfortable with weed.. a bit too comfortable. but you know, when you're high you get that euphoria.

so yeah, i could feel myself getting sucked into that undertow of wrong intentions, and im glad i was able to take a step back and realize that, you know?

and yeah, i realize that the song is probably originally about certain drug addiction and stuff, but i was just kind of struck by how it became applicable to me. i just thought id share, and see if anyone else has had the same sort of experience with this song.
This made me chuckle
Old 04-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

dude, thats the motherfucking undertow.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
dude, thats the motherfucking undertow.
FO SHO'
Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

To me it's about getting sucked into a shitty self indulgent pit while acknowledging that it's not the right thing to do. It's like watching yourself throw away something beautiful, feeling guilty about it, and then turning on yourself for it. Hence the analogy of "diving in the undertow". Letting yourself get pulled under.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

As a student in college living in a suite on campus that consists of 6 other people smoking weed daily, I can totally relate to this. For the past two months I smoked almost everyday just because it was the norm (before anyone judges me, the school I attend is in Washington which has one of the biggest pot smoking scenes out of any state, and furthermore my college is the one university of the six in the state that smokes the most pot on average just because it is generally more accepted here than at like WSU or even UW). At first I felt the same, trying to get the most out of my experiences and in a way try to dig deeper within myself and find a way to express my art the way I wanted to, but after awhile I wasn't able to hold onto that state of mind and I noticed that my mind grew a tolerance to the high while my body was doing the opposite, it was craving the feeling of being high, even though the feeling itself was bland and left me feeling unproductive. I knew by that point I had to stop but... I just couldn't. Finally, after 4/20 happened and now that I'm finally dry of such a substance, I'm using this as an opportunity to push myself away from that feeling of being "helpless and awake in the undertow". It wasn't a full on addiction as weed really isn't the most addicting drug, but its the the thought of being "far too comfortable" that can make it especially hard to let go of. So I feel like I'm right there with you man (to a certain degree atleast).
Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

today i felt the same man!!!! cheers
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Weed is addicting. Don't care what anyone says. But of course not as addicting as opiates, stimulants, etc. I get what you all are saying because that is totally true how you get caught up in it so easily. Thanks for elucidating that song a little bit more for me. Weed will subtly saturate you. You will wake up around age 50 and wonder "what the fuck have i done with my life??"

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: