opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow
User Name
Password
Old 09-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
1st two Tool albums

Is it just me, or do the 1st two Tool albums seem to have a different 'feel' to the later Tool alums?

What do you think?

Why do you think that is?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:40 AM   #2
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

Bincount™: 2148
Re: 1st two Tool albums

you probably could have dug up a few old threads about this, but whatever....

Yeah, I've said it before that undertow and opiate have a more bass-driven feel, and have more heavy guitar riffs than solo-ish interludes. aenima and lateralus have bass with delay effects, the music is a bit more experimental (espiecially so on lateralus) and they don't focus as much on heavy guitar riffs.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

I think it's the age that has changed Tool. If you look at their records in order, each record is a lot more mature than the previous. Opiate was from the days when no one would EVER think about doing ANYTHING like Aenima and so it still has a slightly mroe conventional hard-rock style to it but there was still nothing else around quite like it at the time. With Undertow, they worked on that Opiate style and made a proper album out of it with a more clean production and a lot more maturity in it but the guys were still young at what they were doing and so Undertow is still thriving on the anger in Opiate. There was a big leap between Undertow and Aenima which many blame on the departure of Paul which is not excentially true as Paul was responsible for most of the bass work on the album. It just seems like they used the 3 years they had to really sit down and start from scratch on the sound instead of using songs that had already been played for years. Aenima was the most complete release out of the 3 so far and really showed Tool maturing although the anger is still apparant on songs such as Stinkfist and Aenema. Lateralus was the real jump because there was so much work put into it and it started at a different lyrical theme - the anger was no longer there, Lateralus was more of a spiritual album, an album of self exploration and exploration of human emotions - in all, musically, it was one big piece of complex math. This is probably escentially due to the member's "Coming of Age" both lyrically and musically. Maynard's voice was at it's majestic peak, Danny's drumming was about as complex as it could really get and there was a lot more darkness surrounding the musicianship in general. Maynard's lyrics were also reaching their peak, no more angry "silliness" as it were, this was something completely new for him, these lyrics might not have been so dedicated to a certain cause or feeling but they are definately his most meaningful and powerful.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

The first two albums were more slamming away and yelling while the later two the band got more into focusing on the rhythm...which style is better? I like both, but I'd have to say Undertow is my favorite album
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

"Kurt Loder: You seem a lot less angry now than you were back in the early Tool days. Do you worry about the fans who say they miss that old, angry Maynard?

Keenan: No. You can go out and buy the records. There's Opiate [a 1992 EP], there's Undertow. The whole idea is to get it out: Write the song about it, spout off about it and get over it. I suppose I could repeat myself over and over again, but what's the point of that? The idea is, if I can't heal from my art, then how can you heal? So I've worked some things out and moved on."

January 23, 2004

http://www.mtv.com/bands/a/a_perfect_circle/news_feature_040122/
Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Simple answer: Tool became a prog band after Undertow. Before then they were still in an earlier stage and their mindset wasn't at all the same I would even argue. Much more anger and dealing with frustrations on their first two albums. AEnima seems to be the tail end of that anger but it also took a more psychadelic approach since its more of a prog album than Undertow or Opiate
Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

You should change your username to archaeologist.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #8

well I'm just gonna keep posting responses to these old threads for as long as it takes until people start posting on this board again :P

thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62827 View Post
Simple answer: Tool became a prog band after Undertow. Before then they were still in an earlier stage and their mindset wasn't at all the same I would even argue. Much more anger and dealing with frustrations on their first two albums. AEnima seems to be the tail end of that anger but it also took a more psychadelic approach since its more of a prog album than Undertow or Opiate
i personally dont like to call tool a prog band because they dont really sound like a prog band. i say they are too good for genres
Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

i would also like to mention that i know someone who was a good friend with paul d'amour when they were kids. his sister was actually a bridesmaid in her wedding.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

Bincount™: 2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulogy508 View Post
you probably could have dug up a few old threads about this, but whatever....

Yeah, I've said it before that undertow and opiate have a more bass-driven feel, and have more heavy guitar riffs than solo-ish interludes. aenima and lateralus have bass with delay effects, the music is a bit more experimental (espiecially so on lateralus) and they don't focus as much on heavy guitar riffs.
LOL
Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joryj View Post
i personally dont like to call tool a prog band because they dont really sound like a prog band. i say they are too good for genres
Hey to each his own, I just feel like Tools songs have become more progressive and taking more complex turns than their more straightforward yet powerful songs off of Opiate and Undertow. I didn't mean to say they are just a prog band, just that their music has gone more in that direction since AEnima.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_U_D_I_T_H View Post
Lateralus was the real jump because there was so much work put into it and it started at a different lyrical theme - the anger was no longer there, Lateralus was more of a spiritual album, an album of self exploration and exploration of human emotions - in all, musically, it was one big piece of complex math.
no anger... except for the track ticks and leeches... i dont think u get much more angry than that

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: