opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Tool Triad music video

Here's a link to a music video I made for Triad, Its an experiment I'm studying film production and I would like opinions from you tool fans. I'm a massive fan myself. Hope you enjoy, please leave comments on what you think on here and on vimeo. http://vimeo.com/14259983
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2
Re: Tool Triad music video

In my honest opinion i dont like it for this song i invision something more MORE ACTION.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 35

I am looking at your work from a drummer's point of view.
I recognize the MASSIVE emotional expression of prime, cosmic energy in Triad as coming mainly trough the rhythmic structures. The pulsation, especially the polyrythmic improv prior to the climax, somehow resonates within me, connects with me on an sub-conscious level, wanting me to release my creative energy.
I see a lot of that rhythmical connection in your video. The speed alterations do really work as means of expression. The contrasting domination black-and white creates a sensation of intimacy and concentration.
The female dancers, with that, how to say, 'harsh', primitive make-up, like unfinished sculptures, doing that chaotic, 'tribal' dance - that is the most powerful thing - for me, it WORKS! Their natural, relaxed movements and shameless performance even though being half-naked just means abandoning anything that could limit you, and taking in the energy!
The whole video definitely has a potential!
What I miss here: (hope it will be constructive)
- When I let my mind create anything to Triad, I've got abstract, vibrating images. In your video there is a lot of concentration, even meditation. I can't express myself too well, but I'd wish for something breaking that concentration sometimes (camera action, light flashes, maybe even strobe?), ESPECIALLY if they could correspond nicely to the rhythmic flow (you and your dancers do pick the key points nicely!)
- Geometry themes! TONS of them! the polyrhythms just call for being expressed as something geometrical. That's what Danny feels too, I think!
- Maybe that would be too obvious, but your dancers already begun building something likewise: Developing a more defined, polyrythmic (!) dance, joining all the layers of rhythm in a single flow (man, that would be awesome!)
- The man holding the sticks is a nice, quite personal theme for me, but that way he holds and waves the sticks is soo wrong! he seems to feel uncomfortable to embrace and take the space around him with his movement. Triad calls (IMO) for opening up inside and embracing the richness of the surroundings. He could perform more "drummer-like", controlled yet relaxed moves.
Remember, all my feedback is extremely subjective and even I might be plain too dumb to appreciating your video as is.

Last edited by Michał; 01-23-2011 at 04:24 AM..
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

you're certainly not dumb my friend u've definately got what I was trying to portray I really appreciate and agree with you're suggestions. especially the geometry its something that is something i would love to have incorporated. I left myself little time, but the fact u have gotten the vid makes it all worthwhile. Thanks so much for you're feedback.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: