Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
08-03-2009, 02:06 PM

excellent show, my 6th and for any of you who complained. go fuck yourself! you should be ashamed. because an artist isnt doing wut he used to do, he isnt an artist? i talked to a guy who said the sound quality sucked, and i said "compared to wut". he had nothing to back himself up. half of the people were complaining about the set list while waiting for the show. it just goes to show our overall negative behavior, even when having a good time.

i dunno if its the venue, or the area, but it draws some really high strung people. got denied like 9 out of 10 times, trying to give away free doses. then someone passed me a joint and the security took it! :(

the set list is set for a reason, an over all message. if you dont get it by now you never will.

"hippies" love tool.

the light show was beyond amazing, almost purposely over the top. but during aenima, the line, "festering neon distraction" really stuck to me.

danny's synth jams, were awesome. really outer worlds type shit. the rotating strobes were something ive never seen before. the two went along together superbly. but the more i think about it, i wanna see a more low key visual show, and gear up on some longer jams.

but as usual, each song i had heard, but each sounded different, changes in speed, or a few more delicious guitar riff's. watching justin made me smile, he was having the most fun, he was really working the crowd up front.

over all, another lovely mind fuck of a tool show! if you dont want to see the same setlist, go see a different band.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #41
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656
Re: 08.02.09 - Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena

excellent show, my 6th and for any of you who complained. go fuck yourself! you should be ashamed. because an artist isnt doing wut he used to do, he isnt an artist? i talked to a guy who said the sound quality sucked, and i said "compared to wut". he had nothing to back himself up. half of the people were complaining about the set list while waiting for the show. it just goes to show our overall negative behavior, even when having a good time.

i dunno if its the venue, or the area, but it draws some really high strung people. got denied like 9 out of 10 times, trying to give away free doses. then someone passed me a joint and the security took it! :(

the set list is set for a reason, an over all message. if you dont get it by now you never will.

"hippies" love tool.

the light show was beyond amazing, almost purposely over the top. but during aenima, the line, "festering neon distraction" really stuck to me.

danny's synth jams, were awesome. really outer worlds type shit. the rotating strobes were something ive never seen before. the two went along together superbly. but the more i think about it, i wanna see a more low key visual show, and gear up on some longer jams.

but as usual, each song i had heard, but each sounded different, changes in speed, or a few more delicious guitar riff's. watching justin made me smile, he was having the most fun, he was really working the crowd up front.

over all, another lovely mind fuck of a tool show! if you dont want to see the same setlist, go see a different band.
OFFLINE |  
kamyar's Avatar kamyar
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM

15th or 16th show.. i've lost count over the years. First time i was there as a married man though. Had to give the wife ear plugs since she has delicate ears.

So about the show.. The songs were performed well. Adam actually had a few mishaps. He seemed a little anxious at times. The music was top notch but I agree with the others that said maynard's vocals may have been too low at times. It could have been the section in the arena however. I was in 106. Maybe the venue was better suited for those who listen from the center.

Overall I enjoyed myself but I didn't really feel the emotional attachment to the show as I've had in the past. For the first time ever, I left half way through the the last song so we wouldn't get stuck in traffic. Usually, beating traffic isn't what I'm worried about when I'm at a tool show. It could also be that I'm getting older and I guess priorities change in life.

I think I may catch another show if they come around again on a next leg.. but that'll be it for me until hopefully a new album is released some time in the future.

kamyar.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

15th or 16th show.. i've lost count over the years. First time i was there as a married man though. Had to give the wife ear plugs since she has delicate ears.

So about the show.. The songs were performed well. Adam actually had a few mishaps. He seemed a little anxious at times. The music was top notch but I agree with the others that said maynard's vocals may have been too low at times. It could have been the section in the arena however. I was in 106. Maybe the venue was better suited for those who listen from the center.

Overall I enjoyed myself but I didn't really feel the emotional attachment to the show as I've had in the past. For the first time ever, I left half way through the the last song so we wouldn't get stuck in traffic. Usually, beating traffic isn't what I'm worried about when I'm at a tool show. It could also be that I'm getting older and I guess priorities change in life.

I think I may catch another show if they come around again on a next leg.. but that'll be it for me until hopefully a new album is released some time in the future.

kamyar.
OFFLINE |  
Amorphis
08-03-2009, 02:45 PM

This was my 3rd Tool show and I was pretty disappointed. It probably had something to do with the unbelievably long wait after Tweak Bird's set. And they were god awful by the way. So by the time Tool actually hit the stage, my patience had already been worn thin. The songs themselves were fairly tight, but there were just so many delays during the set. So many little intermissions that dragged on and on. There were at least three 10+ minute breaks during the set. I was just begging for it to be over by the time they finally started "Vicarious."

I got the impression that Maynard was holding back on his vocals. Either that, or he just can't scream anymore. I think the setlist was kind of tailored as a result of this.

And I was wearing a Dark Tranquillity shirt for the record.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

This was my 3rd Tool show and I was pretty disappointed. It probably had something to do with the unbelievably long wait after Tweak Bird's set. And they were god awful by the way. So by the time Tool actually hit the stage, my patience had already been worn thin. The songs themselves were fairly tight, but there were just so many delays during the set. So many little intermissions that dragged on and on. There were at least three 10+ minute breaks during the set. I was just begging for it to be over by the time they finally started "Vicarious."

I got the impression that Maynard was holding back on his vocals. Either that, or he just can't scream anymore. I think the setlist was kind of tailored as a result of this.

And I was wearing a Dark Tranquillity shirt for the record.
OFFLINE |  
Tommyjon19
08-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourque View Post
I was wearing a Lamb of God shirt. Didnt see anyone else wearing a LOG shirt :).

This was the third time i've seen Tool, my second at the Verizon wireless arena. I was in section 202 with my cousin and the sound was great, at least alot better than when I saw them back in '06 and I was on the side in one of the upper sections.

Everybody was spot on ,but I must say Danny Carey just flat out impresses me. The man is a machine behind the kit. He looks like he isnt even trying up there, everything looks so effortless. He is the drummer of our generation, I don't care what anybody says.

To all the negative posts about MJK.....what do you guys expect? This is the same Maynard that's always been on stage. He says some weird shit on stage, hangs out in the back and doesnt show his face much. Same ol Maynard....why are people getting on him for the same guy he's been for the last 20 years?

Overall great show. I hope to see them again.....
Hey I did see a Lamb of God t-shirt last night, forgot it on my original list. Must have been you!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I was wearing a Lamb of God shirt. Didnt see anyone else wearing a LOG shirt :).

This was the third time i've seen Tool, my second at the Verizon wireless arena. I was in section 202 with my cousin and the sound was great, at least alot better than when I saw them back in '06 and I was on the side in one of the upper sections.

Everybody was spot on ,but I must say Danny Carey just flat out impresses me. The man is a machine behind the kit. He looks like he isnt even trying up there, everything looks so effortless. He is the drummer of our generation, I don't care what anybody says.

To all the negative posts about MJK.....what do you guys expect? This is the same Maynard that's always been on stage. He says some weird shit on stage, hangs out in the back and doesnt show his face much. Same ol Maynard....why are people getting on him for the same guy he's been for the last 20 years?

Overall great show. I hope to see them again.....
Hey I did see a Lamb of God t-shirt last night, forgot it on my original list. Must have been you!
OFFLINE |  
BennyBlanco09
08-03-2009, 03:47 PM

I have to say I am extremely disappointed

A. There was no reason the make the crowd wait 1+ hrs after the opener to come on other then to piss us off and use up time that could have been spent playing music.

B. The Band was spot on for the most part But Maynard might as well leave the Band now hes useless doesn't do any of his screams anymore clearly has lost it vocally and showed it last night by letting the crowd sing and not doing any of the screams.

C. The set list there is simply no excuse for this using the same set list for 3 tours in a row is both lame and inexcusable.

D. The 10 minute breaks have no place in any set if you need an intermission take a half hour and then come back and play. Anyone know a band called RUSH hell these guys are older then tool by at least 10-15 years and play for 3 hours last night we barely got 1.5 hrs.

E. Maynard running off stage right after the show is lame doesn't even stay with his band mates and say goodbye to the crowd that just shows the bad blood forming in the band.

In conclusion this will be my last TOOL show I in no way will spend money for them again I left unimpressed and pissed off spending 60$ hearing the same old shit only with less songs and more useless breaks hell we didn't even get pushit or a rare track.

Not to mention this seems like a last ditch money grab shirts and souvenirs were way over priced shit a t-shirt was 40$ posters that should be 10$ were 25$ i wont mention the crap signed items for 100$ that's just greedy.

End of Rant fuck you TOOL !!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to say I am extremely disappointed

A. There was no reason the make the crowd wait 1+ hrs after the opener to come on other then to piss us off and use up time that could have been spent playing music.

B. The Band was spot on for the most part But Maynard might as well leave the Band now hes useless doesn't do any of his screams anymore clearly has lost it vocally and showed it last night by letting the crowd sing and not doing any of the screams.

C. The set list there is simply no excuse for this using the same set list for 3 tours in a row is both lame and inexcusable.

D. The 10 minute breaks have no place in any set if you need an intermission take a half hour and then come back and play. Anyone know a band called RUSH hell these guys are older then tool by at least 10-15 years and play for 3 hours last night we barely got 1.5 hrs.

E. Maynard running off stage right after the show is lame doesn't even stay with his band mates and say goodbye to the crowd that just shows the bad blood forming in the band.

In conclusion this will be my last TOOL show I in no way will spend money for them again I left unimpressed and pissed off spending 60$ hearing the same old shit only with less songs and more useless breaks hell we didn't even get pushit or a rare track.

Not to mention this seems like a last ditch money grab shirts and souvenirs were way over priced shit a t-shirt was 40$ posters that should be 10$ were 25$ i wont mention the crap signed items for 100$ that's just greedy.

End of Rant fuck you TOOL !!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Floydianoise
08-03-2009, 04:34 PM

So I've skimmed through the other reviews for this show. It's sad to see so many write negative commentary about a TOOL show. Even more sad is that I agree with a lot of it.

I'm seen TOOL about ten times now. . . lost track. I missed them on the last tour due to a near-fatal ATV accident. Needless to say, I was doubly excited to them this time around. It was also the first show for my fiance. We had b;eeder-section seats but straight on with the stage, so it was actually a pretty nice view.

I'm hoping Maynard is just going through some kind of depressive phase that he'll come back out of in order that he be able to help TOOL kick ass again. Lots of people seem to say that Maynard should be replaced. TOOL would not be TOOL without Maynard. He's still a genius, but needs to get back to the form where he actually moves parts of his body in that writhing, convulsive way he always did.

Other than that, the lights and visuals were pretty incredible. The band played well. That drummer from Tweak Bird couldn't keep up with Danny at times, but a valiant effort.

Here's hoping they can come back together as a band. . .
Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

So I've skimmed through the other reviews for this show. It's sad to see so many write negative commentary about a TOOL show. Even more sad is that I agree with a lot of it.

I'm seen TOOL about ten times now. . . lost track. I missed them on the last tour due to a near-fatal ATV accident. Needless to say, I was doubly excited to them this time around. It was also the first show for my fiance. We had b;eeder-section seats but straight on with the stage, so it was actually a pretty nice view.

I'm hoping Maynard is just going through some kind of depressive phase that he'll come back out of in order that he be able to help TOOL kick ass again. Lots of people seem to say that Maynard should be replaced. TOOL would not be TOOL without Maynard. He's still a genius, but needs to get back to the form where he actually moves parts of his body in that writhing, convulsive way he always did.

Other than that, the lights and visuals were pretty incredible. The band played well. That drummer from Tweak Bird couldn't keep up with Danny at times, but a valiant effort.

OFFLINE |  
quicksherm
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Lets not even get into how many times I've seen Tool live, lets just say enough. I'm torn for the 1st time ever on this one. No help that this venue was trash. The sound was pretty crappy from where I was in 206 but I couldn't stand to feed a scalper or his family for floor tickets. I drove 3 hours had great tailgating action in General Stark Park right down the street and got home at 3am only to get up at 6 and go to work. Worth every bit of it! I will agree that Maynard wasn't vocally into every moment. You can tell when he's giving it all. I would like to say that Danny and Justin carried every moment of this show not only with their instruments but their emotional energy as well. I had three "virgins" in on this one and they were impressed and ready for the next one just like I was in 96. Its been a long trip... If you didn't love the show that sucks. If you didn't atleast enjoy the show, don't go again there's plenty of people to fill that seat. PS If you respect the music lets the artists perform it I didn't come to hear your take on Tool. And I don't want to hear about your car durring a instumental laser show either.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Lets not even get into how many times I've seen Tool live, lets just say enough. I'm torn for the 1st time ever on this one. No help that this venue was trash. The sound was pretty crappy from where I was in 206 but I couldn't stand to feed a scalper or his family for floor tickets. I drove 3 hours had great tailgating action in General Stark Park right down the street and got home at 3am only to get up at 6 and go to work. Worth every bit of it! I will agree that Maynard wasn't vocally into every moment. You can tell when he's giving it all. I would like to say that Danny and Justin carried every moment of this show not only with their instruments but their emotional energy as well. I had three "virgins" in on this one and they were impressed and ready for the next one just like I was in 96. Its been a long trip... If you didn't love the show that sucks. If you didn't atleast enjoy the show, don't go again there's plenty of people to fill that seat. PS If you respect the music lets the artists perform it I didn't come to hear your take on Tool. And I don't want to hear about your car durring a instumental laser show either.
OFFLINE |  
e123
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Maynard (quote):
"i am not the Rolling Stones. i'm not going to tour forever. It's (Caduceus) my legacy."

Make what you will of it :)
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard (quote):
"i am not the Rolling Stones. i'm not going to tour forever. It's (Caduceus) my legacy."

OFFLINE |  
xbalanke's Avatar xbalanke
08-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosphere33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjon19
Something more to add...I always keep a list of the band t-shirts I see people wearing at shows. Here is a list of what I saw last night:

KISS
Led Zeppelin (at least two)
AC/DC
Pearl Jam
Flogging Molly
The Shins
NIN
August Burns Red
Slayer
White Zombie
Rob Zombie
Guns N Roses
Melvins (me)

Feel free to add any if you recall seeing any others. I noticed quite a few hippies last night; is this typical for a Tool show?

"Sonor shirt for me" and I also saw a few Opeth shirts..
I was wearing my favorite Grateful Dead shirt (the Aztec calendar one) and saw 2 other GD shirts. BTW: I don't look like a hippie - just an old fart.

Also saw:
one Rush tour shirt
one Beatles
one Trail of Dead

Of the ones already listed:
did see the Melvins shirt
a few Led Zeps
the White/Rob Zombies
several NINs
a few AC/DCs
a Pearl Jam
one Opeth
Old 08-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosphere33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjon19
Something more to add...I always keep a list of the band t-shirts I see people wearing at shows. Here is a list of what I saw last night:

KISS
AC/DC
Pearl Jam
Flogging Molly
The Shins
NIN
August Burns Red
Slayer
White Zombie
Rob Zombie
Guns N Roses
Melvins (me)

Feel free to add any if you recall seeing any others. I noticed quite a few hippies last night; is this typical for a Tool show?

"Sonor shirt for me" and I also saw a few Opeth shirts..
I was wearing my favorite Grateful Dead shirt (the Aztec calendar one) and saw 2 other GD shirts. BTW: I don't look like a hippie - just an old fart.

Also saw:
one Rush tour shirt
one Beatles
one Trail of Dead

Of the ones already listed:
did see the Melvins shirt
a few Led Zeps
the White/Rob Zombies
several NINs
a few AC/DCs
a Pearl Jam
one Opeth
OFFLINE |  
JPhunk
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM

So who the hell was that shitty Maynard impersonator on stage for the first half of the show? Did no one else notice that the vocals were completely being drowned out by the music until he came back ot in the cowboy hat (really maynard)? Either having to take a shit made him completely change his movements/mannerisms and sing shittier, or we didn't get the real MJK until the latter part of the show! Now I was in a suite, so I didn't get to see him up close, but I had a pretty damn good view of the entire stage from above and I would bet my life that the dude with the old-school maynard mohawk was his stand-in. Now if it WAS him, then I believe in the frosty the snowman carol, because when he put on the hat, he magically came alive and started actually singing into the microphone cuz all of a sudden you could hear him and he sounded great! As for the rest of the band, they killed it! It was loud, and powerful, but also a little too much like a soundtrack to the laser show as opposed to a rock concert. Maybe I'm a little spoiled from seeing Roger Waters three times, but I really wasn't that impressed with the green lasers either. This was my first TOOL show, and I guess thats probably my problem. I should have seen them back when they were still ALL into it. I still love TOOL, and they are a big influence on my band, but if the frontman is only gonna show up for half the show (either literally OR metaphorically) then I think I'll have to stick to buying their CDs, where at least I know I'm getting what I paid for.

P.S. The show WAS almost redeemed for me when they rocked the shit out of vicariously. THAT was fucking amazing!!! Especially Maynard!

Last edited by JPhunk; 08-03-2009 at 06:29 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

So who the hell was that shitty Maynard impersonator on stage for the first half of the show? Did no one else notice that the vocals were completely being drowned out by the music until he came back ot in the cowboy hat (really maynard)? Either having to take a shit made him completely change his movements/mannerisms and sing shittier, or we didn't get the real MJK until the latter part of the show! Now I was in a suite, so I didn't get to see him up close, but I had a pretty damn good view of the entire stage from above and I would bet my life that the dude with the old-school maynard mohawk was his stand-in. Now if it WAS him, then I believe in the frosty the snowman carol, because when he put on the hat, he magically came alive and started actually singing into the microphone cuz all of a sudden you could hear him and he sounded great! As for the rest of the band, they killed it! It was loud, and powerful, but also a little too much like a soundtrack to the laser show as opposed to a rock concert. Maybe I'm a little spoiled from seeing Roger Waters three times, but I really wasn't that impressed with the green lasers either. This was my first TOOL show, and I guess thats probably my problem. I should have seen them back when they were still ALL into it. I still love TOOL, and they are a big influence on my band, but if the frontman is only gonna show up for half the show (either literally OR metaphorically) then I think I'll have to stick to buying their CDs, where at least I know I'm getting what I paid for.

P.S. The show WAS almost redeemed for me when they rocked the shit out of vicariously. THAT was fucking amazing!!! Especially Maynard!

Last edited by JPhunk; 08-03-2009 at 06:29 PM..
OFFLINE |  
MrDiggler
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e123 View Post
Maynard (quote):

And what afforded him the opportunity to do this? I rest my case.
1. Fitchburg, MA 2.28.97---2. Mansfield, MA 7.07.98---3. Lewiston, ME 7.08.98---4. Mansfield, MA 7.09.98---5. Portland, ME 9.20.01---6. Mansfield, MA 9.21.01---7. Hartford, CT 9.22.01--- 8. Boston, MA 8.16.02---9. Manchester, NH 8.18.02---10. Mansfield, MA 9.29.06---11. Mansfield, MA 7.12.07---12. Manchester, NH 8.02.09

Last edited by MrDiggler; 08-03-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by e123 View Post
Maynard (quote):

And what afforded him the opportunity to do this? I rest my case.
1. Fitchburg, MA 2.28.97---2. Mansfield, MA 7.07.98---3. Lewiston, ME 7.08.98---4. Mansfield, MA 7.09.98---5. Portland, ME 9.20.01---6. Mansfield, MA 9.21.01---7. Hartford, CT 9.22.01--- 8. Boston, MA 8.16.02---9. Manchester, NH 8.18.02---10. Mansfield, MA 9.29.06---11. Mansfield, MA 7.12.07---12. Manchester, NH 8.02.09

Last edited by MrDiggler; 08-03-2009 at 06:27 PM..
OFFLINE |  
dennis
08-03-2009, 06:22 PM

"hello Humans"

here's the deal with maynard not singing anymore, is two reasons. one they have been preforming extended stinkfist for YEARS now and
every time,over half of the crowd sings "i'll keep diging" right at the wrong moment (if your new i understand) but im talking about over half of "tool fans"
do this. reason two if i were the "LEAD" singer and the wole show all i could hear was the crowd singing then i would hold the mic toward them and let them sing cause they aren't here to hear me, neither can the guy next to you. and why even sing the right lyrics YOU DONT. you would think after all these years the "tool FANS" wouldnt judge and critize and hate so much but hey IT"S ALL ABOUT YOU AND YOUR EXPERENCE,not the singers, not the fans around you. shit over half of you got to have a beer in each hand with your fucking "FATTY Fingers" WRAPPED AROUND THEM RUNNING TOWARD THE STAGE. glad to see that we have learned so much from our favorite band. how could they offend us with this tour,we dont offend them,yeah right.

"peace the fuck out"
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

"hello Humans"

here's the deal with maynard not singing anymore, is two reasons. one they have been preforming extended stinkfist for YEARS now and
every time,over half of the crowd sings "i'll keep diging" right at the wrong moment (if your new i understand) but im talking about over half of "tool fans"
do this. reason two if i were the "LEAD" singer and the wole show all i could hear was the crowd singing then i would hold the mic toward them and let them sing cause they aren't here to hear me, neither can the guy next to you. and why even sing the right lyrics YOU DONT. you would think after all these years the "tool FANS" wouldnt judge and critize and hate so much but hey IT"S ALL ABOUT YOU AND YOUR EXPERENCE,not the singers, not the fans around you. shit over half of you got to have a beer in each hand with your fucking "FATTY Fingers" WRAPPED AROUND THEM RUNNING TOWARD THE STAGE. glad to see that we have learned so much from our favorite band. how could they offend us with this tour,we dont offend them,yeah right.

"peace the fuck out"
OFFLINE |  
RiseToYourHalo's Avatar RiseToYourHalo
08-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Generally, I enjoyed the show. Despite being completely sober, I had a great buzz on. Less than 48 hours before, I was sitting high (14,000 ft) upon a sacred mountain on Isla Amantani, in the middle of Lake Titicaca, Peru, chewing coca and sharing secrets with the night sky.

I didn’t read the reviews beforehand so I had some hope for something different this time. PM to the fucked-up unconscious dude in our section who was carted off by EMT’s before the show even started: Don’t worry man, if you saw them in 2006/2007, you really didn’t miss much.

My seats sucked. Second in line at a TM outlet and I get nosebleeds in section two-fucking-twenty-three. On a positive note, I was able to enjoy and appreciate the lighting and visuals from that location. Soundwise, there are very few sweet spots in this venue and section 223 is definitely not one of them.

I thought Flood was the best performance of the evening. Rosetta Stoned vocals are just a garbled mess. I wish they didn’t screw with the rhythm of Lateralus. I enjoyed watching and listening to two drummers flailing like madmen on their kits, but that gig should stand by itself. Lateralus is an epic and sacred song and the drum duel only interrupted my ‘spiraling out’. Aenima was kick ass and would have been a much better closer than Vicarious.

Live Tool is one of life’s greatest pleasures IMO and will always be worth my $65. Meditating to Lateralus in its entirety atop Machu Picchu was, well, priceless and literally a whole other realm :)

Peace in.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #53
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

Generally, I enjoyed the show. Despite being completely sober, I had a great buzz on. Less than 48 hours before, I was sitting high (14,000 ft) upon a sacred mountain on Isla Amantani, in the middle of Lake Titicaca, Peru, chewing coca and sharing secrets with the night sky.

I didn’t read the reviews beforehand so I had some hope for something different this time. PM to the fucked-up unconscious dude in our section who was carted off by EMT’s before the show even started: Don’t worry man, if you saw them in 2006/2007, you really didn’t miss much.

My seats sucked. Second in line at a TM outlet and I get nosebleeds in section two-fucking-twenty-three. On a positive note, I was able to enjoy and appreciate the lighting and visuals from that location. Soundwise, there are very few sweet spots in this venue and section 223 is definitely not one of them.

I thought Flood was the best performance of the evening. Rosetta Stoned vocals are just a garbled mess. I wish they didn’t screw with the rhythm of Lateralus. I enjoyed watching and listening to two drummers flailing like madmen on their kits, but that gig should stand by itself. Lateralus is an epic and sacred song and the drum duel only interrupted my ‘spiraling out’. Aenima was kick ass and would have been a much better closer than Vicarious.

Live Tool is one of life’s greatest pleasures IMO and will always be worth my $65. Meditating to Lateralus in its entirety atop Machu Picchu was, well, priceless and literally a whole other realm :)

Peace in.
OFFLINE |  
seeveedee
08-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydianoise View Post

They could change the name
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydianoise View Post

They could change the name
OFFLINE |  
yac03's Avatar yac03
08-03-2009, 08:26 PM

IT"S ALL ABOUT YOU AND YOUR EXPERENCE

...we've all experienced this before. 3 years and counting.

To quote a famous prima-donna: "If I can't heal and grow from my art...how can you?"

Give us something new. We need it. If you don't...we're capable of finding it elsewhere. It might not be as good...but it'll be new and different. There's no need to waste time, money, emotion etc...

We want to hear the old shit because we like it and haven't heard it live in forever. That simple. Refresh the people that love you. We've earned it.

Chaos in. Chaos out...whatever.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

IT"S ALL ABOUT YOU AND YOUR EXPERENCE

...we've all experienced this before. 3 years and counting.

To quote a famous prima-donna: "If I can't heal and grow from my art...how can you?"

Give us something new. We need it. If you don't...we're capable of finding it elsewhere. It might not be as good...but it'll be new and different. There's no need to waste time, money, emotion etc...

We want to hear the old shit because we like it and haven't heard it live in forever. That simple. Refresh the people that love you. We've earned it.

Chaos in. Chaos out...whatever.
08-04-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canorus View Post
5th tool show and def the poorest. I was on alot of drugs so who knows what really happned. delay was gay...w/e. tweak bird made alot of sound for 2 guys...not bad. jambi was the best song of the night, then after that I could not hear maynard, then after seeing him not move at all i stopped looking at him. i was up in the balcony and during stinkfist some stupid bitch fell over a couple of rows and knocked me into the row in front of me. the guy looked at me like I did it on purpose...I put my finger right up to his face and said..."fuck you". that was the end of that. setlist was gay, sound was fucked up, too much time between songs. this was a lame lame tool show. thank god I was fucked up. also in my section the first 8 rows in front of me had asses in them, everyone sat for the whole show. it was fucking disgusting. i tried to rock out as best I could and I probably looked like a weirdo, at least I moved more than maynard.
Were you the guy in sec. 202 rocking out like a fucking asshat in the stairs? Yeah, you were a weirdo even for a tool fan....
Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 AM   #56
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by canorus View Post
5th tool show and def the poorest. I was on alot of drugs so who knows what really happned. delay was gay...w/e. tweak bird made alot of sound for 2 guys...not bad. jambi was the best song of the night, then after that I could not hear maynard, then after seeing him not move at all i stopped looking at him. i was up in the balcony and during stinkfist some stupid bitch fell over a couple of rows and knocked me into the row in front of me. the guy looked at me like I did it on purpose...I put my finger right up to his face and said..."fuck you". that was the end of that. setlist was gay, sound was fucked up, too much time between songs. this was a lame lame tool show. thank god I was fucked up. also in my section the first 8 rows in front of me had asses in them, everyone sat for the whole show. it was fucking disgusting. i tried to rock out as best I could and I probably looked like a weirdo, at least I moved more than maynard.
Were you the guy in sec. 202 rocking out like a fucking asshat in the stairs? Yeah, you were a weirdo even for a tool fan....
OFFLINE |  
wins32767
08-04-2009, 05:52 AM

5th or 6th Tool show, decidedly the worst one I've been to. Still, I wouldn't go as far as to say it was bad and my wife (who never really liked Tool before) enjoyed it a bunch. The mix was pretty terrible and the delay sucked badly.

Did anyone hear all of what Maynard said about the band after Jambi? It sounded to me like he said at one point "I really want to be in this band" just before they started playing again but the acoustics were horrible.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

5th or 6th Tool show, decidedly the worst one I've been to. Still, I wouldn't go as far as to say it was bad and my wife (who never really liked Tool before) enjoyed it a bunch. The mix was pretty terrible and the delay sucked badly.

Did anyone hear all of what Maynard said about the band after Jambi? It sounded to me like he said at one point "I really want to be in this band" just before they started playing again but the acoustics were horrible.
OFFLINE |  
deathmetalhead767
08-04-2009, 07:33 AM

This was my 4th time seeing Tool. I saw them on Aenima, Lateralus and this is my 2nd time seeing them on 10,000 Days. That being said, this was by far the worst performance I have seen of theirs. The band were excellent in their execution but Maynard was lost in the mix. The set list flat out sucked!! They've forgotten that the main reason for their success and their best work are Undertow and Aenima. They only played Flood, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, and Aenima. from those albums. In place of those incredible songs they substituted in 5 minutes standing still for applause followed by 13 minutes of drone while they set up a 2nd drum kit for a very mediocre drummer to join them. If you already have Danny Carey , why waste our time with a 2nd drummer. Completely pointless. Songs that should've have been played: Prison Sex, Sober, Swamp Song, Crawl Away, Jerk-Off, Hush, The Pot, Parabola, The Grudge. Plus, I've lost all respect for Maynard as he has become the typical Rockstar. The rest of the guys were very cool to the crowd but he could have cared less. Complaining about riding in a car for 4 hours does not hold up when speaking to the fans that have been standing on a concrete floor for the same 4 hours waiting for his ass to show up. The crowd gave Tool their effort, how about some in return.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 4th time seeing Tool. I saw them on Aenima, Lateralus and this is my 2nd time seeing them on 10,000 Days. That being said, this was by far the worst performance I have seen of theirs. The band were excellent in their execution but Maynard was lost in the mix. The set list flat out sucked!! They've forgotten that the main reason for their success and their best work are Undertow and Aenima. They only played Flood, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, and Aenima. from those albums. In place of those incredible songs they substituted in 5 minutes standing still for applause followed by 13 minutes of drone while they set up a 2nd drum kit for a very mediocre drummer to join them. If you already have Danny Carey , why waste our time with a 2nd drummer. Completely pointless. Songs that should've have been played: Prison Sex, Sober, Swamp Song, Crawl Away, Jerk-Off, Hush, The Pot, Parabola, The Grudge. Plus, I've lost all respect for Maynard as he has become the typical Rockstar. The rest of the guys were very cool to the crowd but he could have cared less. Complaining about riding in a car for 4 hours does not hold up when speaking to the fans that have been standing on a concrete floor for the same 4 hours waiting for his ass to show up. The crowd gave Tool their effort, how about some in return.
OFFLINE |  
Chadbourne's Avatar Chadbourne
08-04-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjon19 View Post

KISS
AC/DC
Pearl Jam
Flogging Molly
The Shins
NIN
August Burns Red
Slayer
White Zombie
Rob Zombie
Guns N Roses
Melvins (me)

saw some good ones - van halen. alice in chains. stone temple pilots. janes addiction.

Yes. Oiu. Si. Shit adds up at the Bottom
Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjon19 View Post

KISS
AC/DC
Pearl Jam
Flogging Molly
The Shins
NIN
August Burns Red
Slayer
White Zombie
Rob Zombie
Guns N Roses
Melvins (me)

saw some good ones - van halen. alice in chains. stone temple pilots. janes addiction.

OFFLINE |  
canorus
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
nah I was in 221 with a brown punisher shirt on and pupils the size of my eyeballs.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #60
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
nah I was in 221 with a brown punisher shirt on and pupils the size of my eyeballs.
OFFLINE |  
08-04-2009, 08:29 AM

i was in sec 212 too - and to that guy who posted earleir you are right - there was 1 guy in the front row (im guessign you?) who was standing. i was 3 or 4 rows behind you to the left, and the 3 of us were standing. it felt weird to think i may be blockign someones view. sorry, i guess, but i dont go to concerts to sit down. tool should be enjoyed however an indivudual sees fit. if that means zoning out and releshing in the moment thats great. you want to mosh it up thats fine too - but when appropriate. i swear some guys wanted to slam around during a 13 minute interlude.

anyway - i was at the All Popints West festival so i did the drive MJK was bitching about. relax guy - i highly doubt you were the one behind the wheel in the 1st place. To his credit, i will say his performance Sat night in NJ was very good. the music wasnt as loud but i could hear him pretty well. he danced around a lot more than i expected after reading reviews. they were late at APW too - 945 turned into 1010 - but they didnt have the rediculous gaps in between songs. they didnt play lost keyes but swaped it for a shorter intro. i was very pleased with that performance despite stading in shit-smelling NJ mud. then came the NH show.

talk about uninterested. maynard barely moved. maybe he was a bit tired - i get that, but c'mon. the guys on the floor standing for 3 hours arent? and way to take the steam out of the crowd. they chanted for 20 minutes until it got to be 930 then they all gave up. beer stands closed before tool went on. people were yawning before the show. yawning before a tool show. can you picture that?

there is no doubt in my mind they delayed the show so they can play the bare minimum requirement - 1.5 hrs. yes, 90 minutes has been their normal set length, but not with 5, 9,13 minutes delays in between songs. so frustrating. i love to meditate and ponder my existence too - but not at the expense of missing a few more songs. we came to hear the songs, not loud drones or a recorded vocal remix of lsot keyes. say waht you will about naynard, but the whole band is to be blamed for this. if your not on the same page or are going to pout forth the bare minimum and gimic the rest of our time and money - dont tour.

When they are in the act of playing music - one quickly forgives. then you wait another 6 minutes for the next song.

DC is so damn good (wonders why they even invite another drummer on stage? ohh, to kill set time. right) i kinda feel for him - hes got to be wonderign how much longer this is goign to last. i feel the band tried to up the intensity to get MJK into it, but once his mind is made up theres nothing anyone can do.

overall the show was ok. a lot of issues that i share with others on here. dont take the negativity the wrong way - tool has demonstarated a unique ability to perform live. its what we have come to expect. we can tell when their efforts are sincere and when they clearly are not.

i hope this is a bump in the road and the issues on the inside (there has got to be at this point) get cleared up. the old tool we know will not be back, but the here and now tool could certainly be better.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

i was in sec 212 too - and to that guy who posted earleir you are right - there was 1 guy in the front row (im guessign you?) who was standing. i was 3 or 4 rows behind you to the left, and the 3 of us were standing. it felt weird to think i may be blockign someones view. sorry, i guess, but i dont go to concerts to sit down. tool should be enjoyed however an indivudual sees fit. if that means zoning out and releshing in the moment thats great. you want to mosh it up thats fine too - but when appropriate. i swear some guys wanted to slam around during a 13 minute interlude.

anyway - i was at the All Popints West festival so i did the drive MJK was bitching about. relax guy - i highly doubt you were the one behind the wheel in the 1st place. To his credit, i will say his performance Sat night in NJ was very good. the music wasnt as loud but i could hear him pretty well. he danced around a lot more than i expected after reading reviews. they were late at APW too - 945 turned into 1010 - but they didnt have the rediculous gaps in between songs. they didnt play lost keyes but swaped it for a shorter intro. i was very pleased with that performance despite stading in shit-smelling NJ mud. then came the NH show.

talk about uninterested. maynard barely moved. maybe he was a bit tired - i get that, but c'mon. the guys on the floor standing for 3 hours arent? and way to take the steam out of the crowd. they chanted for 20 minutes until it got to be 930 then they all gave up. beer stands closed before tool went on. people were yawning before the show. yawning before a tool show. can you picture that?

there is no doubt in my mind they delayed the show so they can play the bare minimum requirement - 1.5 hrs. yes, 90 minutes has been their normal set length, but not with 5, 9,13 minutes delays in between songs. so frustrating. i love to meditate and ponder my existence too - but not at the expense of missing a few more songs. we came to hear the songs, not loud drones or a recorded vocal remix of lsot keyes. say waht you will about naynard, but the whole band is to be blamed for this. if your not on the same page or are going to pout forth the bare minimum and gimic the rest of our time and money - dont tour.

When they are in the act of playing music - one quickly forgives. then you wait another 6 minutes for the next song.

DC is so damn good (wonders why they even invite another drummer on stage? ohh, to kill set time. right) i kinda feel for him - hes got to be wonderign how much longer this is goign to last. i feel the band tried to up the intensity to get MJK into it, but once his mind is made up theres nothing anyone can do.

overall the show was ok. a lot of issues that i share with others on here. dont take the negativity the wrong way - tool has demonstarated a unique ability to perform live. its what we have come to expect. we can tell when their efforts are sincere and when they clearly are not.

i hope this is a bump in the road and the issues on the inside (there has got to be at this point) get cleared up. the old tool we know will not be back, but the here and now tool could certainly be better.

OFFLINE |  
08-04-2009, 09:14 AM

i have to mention the security folks here sucked hardcore. they need to settle down a bit and relax. they had 2 cops to each door entrance, then 2 along the wall once you get inside, then the seating people and thier damn flashlights. make like jurassic park and "turn the lights off." seriosly. you can tell not much action happens up there , they were ready for WWIII.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #62
Level 4 - Thinker

i have to mention the security folks here sucked hardcore. they need to settle down a bit and relax. they had 2 cops to each door entrance, then 2 along the wall once you get inside, then the seating people and thier damn flashlights. make like jurassic park and "turn the lights off." seriosly. you can tell not much action happens up there , they were ready for WWIII.

OFFLINE |  
MickDrum
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

This was my first Tool experience and the best concert I have ever been to. This is the greatest band I have ever seen! So, it is just total BS to me - the stuff written here about Maynard's vocals or attitude... The people who write this are the ones who have been like 7 times to see them... Maynard is a genius in my book and this band is the best. Being a drummer - Danny Carey is the total package. I seem to think that the experienced fans should consider themselves fortunate to have seen Tool so many times. There isn't a band out there that compares.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool experience and the best concert I have ever been to. This is the greatest band I have ever seen! So, it is just total BS to me - the stuff written here about Maynard's vocals or attitude... The people who write this are the ones who have been like 7 times to see them... Maynard is a genius in my book and this band is the best. Being a drummer - Danny Carey is the total package. I seem to think that the experienced fans should consider themselves fortunate to have seen Tool so many times. There isn't a band out there that compares.
OFFLINE |  
whateveron3
08-04-2009, 06:27 PM

This was show number 12 for me, not the best, not the worst (though I can't really think of any truly bad ones).

Was expecting the same setlist. I just tried to enjoy it for what it was as always. Tool won't be around forever, so I'm going to get my fix while I can.

I must make mention of the long wait between sets. I don't mind a wait, but it was a large crowd that was getting rather restless as time went by and it was creating a negative energy in the arena that dampened my excitement. It would've been decent if someone would've just come out and told us it would be a few, but they don't owe us anything right?

It was pretty surreal though. Sitting for an hour expecting the show to start any second packed in a building with thousands of drunk people screaming for blood made me briefly wonder if I had died on my way to the show and was now confined to some sort of purgatory that looked like the Verizon Wireless Arena.

The one positive that came from the wait is that it allowed me the chance to pick up one of the signed posters. People can complain all they want about a $100 poster, but the fact is that this is a beautiful piece of memorabilia. Considering what you would pay on ebay for a numbered and limited print (450 total printed, 100 signed) poster signed by the whole band that was authenticated by the band themselves, I'd say that $100 is completely reasonable (especially when compared to the $40 t-shirts). It's not only a beautiful piece, but a great reminder of the show.

Here's a picture of it:
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/whateveron3/08042009445.jpg

I was concerned that the delay would mean a shortened set, but when they began Aenima, I knew all was well. Aenima was the highlight of the night for me because it had been a while since I had heard it live and the energy was great.

Thought the band played well and I enjoyed the stage production, but the sound was shit. I could hear Maynard well enough, but something (low-end on the bass?) was up WAY too high and kept causing everything to distort and reverberate throughout the arena.

Security was TIGHT. I was planning on making an audio recording of the show, but at the last second I decided to leave my gear in the car. This was a good decision because the way I was searched going into the building I couldn't have concealed my gear in any way short of sticking it up my ass (no thanks). It's just as well though because the sound was atrocious anyways.

I can totally see where someone having a bad day might have really seen this show as a total let down, but I was in a good mood, and I had zero expectations. I feel like Flood was a great choice for the middle of the set because it always helps me keep things in perspective.

Great band, good show. If they come around again I'll be there. Hopefully they will be supporting a new album. But no expectations, no disappointments.
10-25-02 10-28-02 05-21-06 09-29-06 07-12-07 08-02-09
07-01-10
Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

This was show number 12 for me, not the best, not the worst (though I can't really think of any truly bad ones).

Was expecting the same setlist. I just tried to enjoy it for what it was as always. Tool won't be around forever, so I'm going to get my fix while I can.

I must make mention of the long wait between sets. I don't mind a wait, but it was a large crowd that was getting rather restless as time went by and it was creating a negative energy in the arena that dampened my excitement. It would've been decent if someone would've just come out and told us it would be a few, but they don't owe us anything right?

It was pretty surreal though. Sitting for an hour expecting the show to start any second packed in a building with thousands of drunk people screaming for blood made me briefly wonder if I had died on my way to the show and was now confined to some sort of purgatory that looked like the Verizon Wireless Arena.

The one positive that came from the wait is that it allowed me the chance to pick up one of the signed posters. People can complain all they want about a $100 poster, but the fact is that this is a beautiful piece of memorabilia. Considering what you would pay on ebay for a numbered and limited print (450 total printed, 100 signed) poster signed by the whole band that was authenticated by the band themselves, I'd say that $100 is completely reasonable (especially when compared to the $40 t-shirts). It's not only a beautiful piece, but a great reminder of the show.

Here's a picture of it:
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/whateveron3/08042009445.jpg

I was concerned that the delay would mean a shortened set, but when they began Aenima, I knew all was well. Aenima was the highlight of the night for me because it had been a while since I had heard it live and the energy was great.

Thought the band played well and I enjoyed the stage production, but the sound was shit. I could hear Maynard well enough, but something (low-end on the bass?) was up WAY too high and kept causing everything to distort and reverberate throughout the arena.

Security was TIGHT. I was planning on making an audio recording of the show, but at the last second I decided to leave my gear in the car. This was a good decision because the way I was searched going into the building I couldn't have concealed my gear in any way short of sticking it up my ass (no thanks). It's just as well though because the sound was atrocious anyways.

I can totally see where someone having a bad day might have really seen this show as a total let down, but I was in a good mood, and I had zero expectations. I feel like Flood was a great choice for the middle of the set because it always helps me keep things in perspective.

Great band, good show. If they come around again I'll be there. Hopefully they will be supporting a new album. But no expectations, no disappointments.
10-25-02 10-28-02 05-21-06 09-29-06 07-12-07 08-02-09
07-01-10
OFFLINE |  
ifrigginghatethis
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I predicted, about three years ago, that Maynard had stopped giving a shit about Tool. It shouldn't have taken that much time and a crappy new hampshire concert to figure this out -- just listen to 10,000 days.

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1015929&postcount=49
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #65
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I predicted, about three years ago, that Maynard had stopped giving a shit about Tool. It shouldn't have taken that much time and a crappy new hampshire concert to figure this out -- just listen to 10,000 days.

OFFLINE |  
jwb's Avatar jwb
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrigginghatethis View Post

After catching 3 shows on this current tour, it certainly appears that Tool has dropped down a bit on MJK's priority list.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #66
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrigginghatethis View Post

After catching 3 shows on this current tour, it certainly appears that Tool has dropped down a bit on MJK's priority list.
OFFLINE |  
Somethinghastochange
08-04-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
excellent show, my 6th and for any of you who complained. go fuck yourself! you should be ashamed....if you dont want to see the same setlist, go see a different band.
Thank you so much for the advice salmon I will be taking full advantage of it, not the part about self fornication but rather the later about going to a different band. This was tool show #12 for me and it saddens we to say that it will indeed be my last. MJK is done yeah he never has gave a shit about the fans before but the display he put on @ the "Manchester Massacre" was reprhensible. It sucks too because the rest of the group still tries and still plays their asses off. Maybe its time to think about a personnel change in the group. Could you imagine these 3 musicians playing a double digit setlist for once?!?! Or how bout if they had a lead singer who sang the lyrics instead of just pointing the mic @ the crowd evertime it came to a part of the song where he had to use his instrument. Instead of standing at the back of the stage with your back to crowd take it one step further dont stand on it at all. Peace the fuck out bitch.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
excellent show, my 6th and for any of you who complained. go fuck yourself! you should be ashamed....if you dont want to see the same setlist, go see a different band.
Thank you so much for the advice salmon I will be taking full advantage of it, not the part about self fornication but rather the later about going to a different band. This was tool show #12 for me and it saddens we to say that it will indeed be my last. MJK is done yeah he never has gave a shit about the fans before but the display he put on @ the "Manchester Massacre" was reprhensible. It sucks too because the rest of the group still tries and still plays their asses off. Maybe its time to think about a personnel change in the group. Could you imagine these 3 musicians playing a double digit setlist for once?!?! Or how bout if they had a lead singer who sang the lyrics instead of just pointing the mic @ the crowd evertime it came to a part of the song where he had to use his instrument. Instead of standing at the back of the stage with your back to crowd take it one step further dont stand on it at all. Peace the fuck out bitch.
OFFLINE |  
The real Edward
08-05-2009, 02:20 AM

1st and last Tool show. Unbelievable how arrogant those ungrateful pricks are. Bring earplugs if you don't enjoy lengthy periods of nothing but excruciating amplifier feedback. (Great music dirtbags) Expect more than quarter of "show" to be stagnant pauses of nothing or the "band" standing motionless. Fans deserve at least a "thanx for coming" or "being so patient while we were over an hour late to the stage". Not complaints about how sore your back is! I saw at least one Iron Maiden shirt. That's a real band. Too bad it was associated with a Tool concert.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

1st and last Tool show. Unbelievable how arrogant those ungrateful pricks are. Bring earplugs if you don't enjoy lengthy periods of nothing but excruciating amplifier feedback. (Great music dirtbags) Expect more than quarter of "show" to be stagnant pauses of nothing or the "band" standing motionless. Fans deserve at least a "thanx for coming" or "being so patient while we were over an hour late to the stage". Not complaints about how sore your back is! I saw at least one Iron Maiden shirt. That's a real band. Too bad it was associated with a Tool concert.
OFFLINE |  
mrplowNH
08-05-2009, 06:53 AM

My 13th show and in my home state.We knew what songs were gonna be played,but I wanted to know if Danny was gonna wear his Lakers jersey! Nope.So much respect! No scream for Rosetta,mjk didnt get down to his speedos and the pits were SO hard for flood,vicarious and a few others.Not disappointing but the other 2 NH shows were better. Seeing the band play from the 3rd row dead center on the floor was quite an experience.

9.20.01 - 8.18.02 - 10.28.02 - 4.30.06 - 5.21.06 - 9.29.06 - 10.3.06 - 6.15.07 - 7.13.07 - 12.13.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.1.09 - 8.2.09
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

My 13th show and in my home state.We knew what songs were gonna be played,but I wanted to know if Danny was gonna wear his Lakers jersey! Nope.So much respect! No scream for Rosetta,mjk didnt get down to his speedos and the pits were SO hard for flood,vicarious and a few others.Not disappointing but the other 2 NH shows were better. Seeing the band play from the 3rd row dead center on the floor was quite an experience.

9.20.01 - 8.18.02 - 10.28.02 - 4.30.06 - 5.21.06 - 9.29.06 - 10.3.06 - 6.15.07 - 7.13.07 - 12.13.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.1.09 - 8.2.09
OFFLINE |  
08-05-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickDrum View Post
This was my first Tool experience and the best concert I have ever been to. This is the greatest band I have ever seen! So, it is just total BS to me - the stuff written here about Maynard's vocals or attitude...Maynard is a genius in my book and this band is the best.
you can be a genius and an asshole at the same time. look, he didnt sing any of the great buildup or hightlights to the songs. no "heh heh heh" or "learn to swim" at any point durung aenima. held out the mic for the end of vicarious and hid behind the megaphone far too much. didnt hit the best part of flood. the band did so well, and to have MJK mess it up - on most every night from what the vets have been saying - takes away the that little extra that makes tool so great.

i know hes 45, so he gets a mulligan when he cant do what he could at 25 - but you can tell when someone is engaged in a performance and when they are not. at least make up for it in other areas, like add a song rather than a 10 minute drone. or mix up the setlist a bit. screw the videoes for 1 song - you think anyone woudl really care about the screens if they threw Bottom or Prison Sex at us?

i saw them in NJ the night before and maynard was much better - but its still not fair to those that didnt get to see a good show. i have to say it sounds like i saw one of the better shows of this and last tour in NJ, so im fortunate and lucky. times are tough, money is hard to come by - but you can hang your hat knowing your going to see an epic band perform. then you get this show in NH, and it just sucks. if you cant rely on Tool kicking ass, then what can you rely on?

its really become hit or miss with them - and if you miss with only playing 8 songs then we have a real problem.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
This was my first Tool experience and the best concert I have ever been to. This is the greatest band I have ever seen! So, it is just total BS to me - the stuff written here about Maynard's vocals or attitude...Maynard is a genius in my book and this band is the best.
you can be a genius and an asshole at the same time. look, he didnt sing any of the great buildup or hightlights to the songs. no "heh heh heh" or "learn to swim" at any point durung aenima. held out the mic for the end of vicarious and hid behind the megaphone far too much. didnt hit the best part of flood. the band did so well, and to have MJK mess it up - on most every night from what the vets have been saying - takes away the that little extra that makes tool so great.

i know hes 45, so he gets a mulligan when he cant do what he could at 25 - but you can tell when someone is engaged in a performance and when they are not. at least make up for it in other areas, like add a song rather than a 10 minute drone. or mix up the setlist a bit. screw the videoes for 1 song - you think anyone woudl really care about the screens if they threw Bottom or Prison Sex at us?

i saw them in NJ the night before and maynard was much better - but its still not fair to those that didnt get to see a good show. i have to say it sounds like i saw one of the better shows of this and last tour in NJ, so im fortunate and lucky. times are tough, money is hard to come by - but you can hang your hat knowing your going to see an epic band perform. then you get this show in NH, and it just sucks. if you cant rely on Tool kicking ass, then what can you rely on?

its really become hit or miss with them - and if you miss with only playing 8 songs then we have a real problem.

OFFLINE |  
jestermonkey1345
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM

I was there in the gen ad and was amazing The vocals weren't low it was just every one singing along with him I love the fact he teased the tweakbird drumer to get the fuck off his stage it was funny and in the end right before the last song he said fuckin peace out he is the best once I moved back I could hear him perfectly and the visal part of the concert was great too

8/2
Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

I was there in the gen ad and was amazing The vocals weren't low it was just every one singing along with him I love the fact he teased the tweakbird drumer to get the fuck off his stage it was funny and in the end right before the last song he said fuckin peace out he is the best once I moved back I could hear him perfectly and the visal part of the concert was great too

8/2
OFFLINE |  
deathmetalhead767
08-05-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed that Carey is the best drummer. I am a drummer too. But I feel bad for you that this was your first experience seeing them. They are the best live show I've ever seen but that was the Aenima tour when the were hungry and pissed. But this particular performance, I can name several other shows by other bands I've seen that were much better as a whole. (Iron Maiden '85, Judas Priest '91 & '04, Clutch '05, Slayer '04, Lamb Of God '04 & '09, Opeth '09, Soulfly '98, Queensryche '89, Kiss '85, Black Sabbath '99, Scorpions '88)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Agreed that Carey is the best drummer. I am a drummer too. But I feel bad for you that this was your first experience seeing them. They are the best live show I've ever seen but that was the Aenima tour when the were hungry and pissed. But this particular performance, I can name several other shows by other bands I've seen that were much better as a whole. (Iron Maiden '85, Judas Priest '91 & '04, Clutch '05, Slayer '04, Lamb Of God '04 & '09, Opeth '09, Soulfly '98, Queensryche '89, Kiss '85, Black Sabbath '99, Scorpions '88)
OFFLINE |  
sodamlucky46's Avatar sodamlucky46
08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

This was my third Tool show and first since Ozzfest 98...The difference in performance from the Lola 97/Ozz 98 Tour and this tour is night and day. Danny,Justin and Adam were great as usual and the visual show is 1000 times better but the Maynard I remember NEVER stood still during a performance. He used to beall over the floor jamming like it was his last gig. I am grateful just to see Tool and the ONLY problem I have is with the sound guy...I have never heard a show that sounded worse. I was in th lower level dead center 104 ROW K. The acoustics should've been perfect there. All I heard was BASS, couldn't hear Danny, didn't hear Maynard after Jambi and barely coulf hear Adam. Where did they find the sound guy, it is nOT the Venue. I have seen shows there before and never heard something so pathetic as far a LIVE MIXING. Otherwise the set was amazing, experience even better and people unforgettable. I really hope Maynard decides to either hang it up or put 100% effort into the few months each decade he decides to spend on the road playing for us. I will never miss another Tool show and hope the next time I can hear the bands WHOLE and not just feedback and bass. I enjoyed the Tool Army gathering and the post party at teh Hotel was Amazing. The wait between bands was pathetic and extremely uncalled for but a bad live Tool show is better then 99% of other bands BEST LIVE SHOW.

Damn I miss those 97/98 shows...Hooker opener, swamp song, part of me, jerk off, H., Eulogy, Jimmy, Third Eye, Sober, OpiatePrison Sex, bottom etc...I am unsure I will EVER see a show, nevermind a set like that again. Long live live Tool .

ALSO: They are Playing the "Cover"...I heard it LOUD and clear and have video of it from the show...On The Run by Pink Floyd...When the pink, red and white lights were turning in circles the audio was Pink Floyds"oN the Run...simply amazing and the highlight for me.

Last edited by sodamlucky46; 08-05-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third Tool show and first since Ozzfest 98...The difference in performance from the Lola 97/Ozz 98 Tour and this tour is night and day. Danny,Justin and Adam were great as usual and the visual show is 1000 times better but the Maynard I remember NEVER stood still during a performance. He used to beall over the floor jamming like it was his last gig. I am grateful just to see Tool and the ONLY problem I have is with the sound guy...I have never heard a show that sounded worse. I was in th lower level dead center 104 ROW K. The acoustics should've been perfect there. All I heard was BASS, couldn't hear Danny, didn't hear Maynard after Jambi and barely coulf hear Adam. Where did they find the sound guy, it is nOT the Venue. I have seen shows there before and never heard something so pathetic as far a LIVE MIXING. Otherwise the set was amazing, experience even better and people unforgettable. I really hope Maynard decides to either hang it up or put 100% effort into the few months each decade he decides to spend on the road playing for us. I will never miss another Tool show and hope the next time I can hear the bands WHOLE and not just feedback and bass. I enjoyed the Tool Army gathering and the post party at teh Hotel was Amazing. The wait between bands was pathetic and extremely uncalled for but a bad live Tool show is better then 99% of other bands BEST LIVE SHOW.

Damn I miss those 97/98 shows...Hooker opener, swamp song, part of me, jerk off, H., Eulogy, Jimmy, Third Eye, Sober, OpiatePrison Sex, bottom etc...I am unsure I will EVER see a show, nevermind a set like that again. Long live live Tool .

ALSO: They are Playing the "Cover"...I heard it LOUD and clear and have video of it from the show...On The Run by Pink Floyd...When the pink, red and white lights were turning in circles the audio was Pink Floyds"oN the Run...simply amazing and the highlight for me.

Last edited by sodamlucky46; 08-05-2009 at 06:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sodamlucky46's Avatar sodamlucky46
08-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetalhead767 View Post

VERY WELL SAID....Lola 97 and Ozz 98 as well as the Lewiston,ME show in 08 were the 3 BEST live shows I've EVER seen.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetalhead767 View Post

VERY WELL SAID....Lola 97 and Ozz 98 as well as the Lewiston,ME show in 08 were the 3 BEST live shows I've EVER seen.
OFFLINE |  
Unchi
08-06-2009, 01:43 AM

I was @ this show as well i think its #5 or 6 for me.

I was sitting on some cabinets @ FOH behind the video effects guy (my buddy)
I could hear everything much clearer than any other show, i even caught 90% of Rosetta stoned (and not all of it is the song lyrics)

Maynards flight was cancelled that morning / afternoon from NJ to NH and he had to get in a car and make the drive ( i dont know if he drove the car himself) but i know how bad that drive from NJ to NH is on a SUNDAY in the SUMMER, and i know 90% of you do too. He wasnt late on purpose, even the crew didn't know where he was at or when he would arrive due to travel issues. I sure as f*ck know that after 7 hours in a car i don't wanna do shit, but Maynard did try.

Justin, Adam, and Danny put on a great show and the Visual effects were stellar (thanks breck!!) Sometimes people have a bad day and it is hard to get out of that funk. After the show i went backstage and never saw Maynard, i saw Danny, adam and his dog, and hung out with Justin and his super nice GF. They had a great time and really enjoyed playing for us.....

I also saw them on the last show of the last tour @ The Pearl in vegas. Insane show with insane energy..... idk win some lose some, i do know ill go see them in Pomona when they return to CA in AUG..... and if they go out again, ill be there too.. Why? because its TOOL, PERIOD.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

I was @ this show as well i think its #5 or 6 for me.

I was sitting on some cabinets @ FOH behind the video effects guy (my buddy)
I could hear everything much clearer than any other show, i even caught 90% of Rosetta stoned (and not all of it is the song lyrics)

Maynards flight was cancelled that morning / afternoon from NJ to NH and he had to get in a car and make the drive ( i dont know if he drove the car himself) but i know how bad that drive from NJ to NH is on a SUNDAY in the SUMMER, and i know 90% of you do too. He wasnt late on purpose, even the crew didn't know where he was at or when he would arrive due to travel issues. I sure as f*ck know that after 7 hours in a car i don't wanna do shit, but Maynard did try.

Justin, Adam, and Danny put on a great show and the Visual effects were stellar (thanks breck!!) Sometimes people have a bad day and it is hard to get out of that funk. After the show i went backstage and never saw Maynard, i saw Danny, adam and his dog, and hung out with Justin and his super nice GF. They had a great time and really enjoyed playing for us.....

I also saw them on the last show of the last tour @ The Pearl in vegas. Insane show with insane energy..... idk win some lose some, i do know ill go see them in Pomona when they return to CA in AUG..... and if they go out again, ill be there too.. Why? because its TOOL, PERIOD.
OFFLINE |  
MrDiggler
08-06-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodamlucky46 View Post
Agreed! I'm not one to live in the past but 7/7/98 thru 7/9/98 were 3 untouchable days in my book. They will never be topped. Just look at these setlists!!!

Mansfield 7/7/98
Part Of Me
46 & 2
Crawl Away
H.
Sober
Eulogy
Ænema
Jerk-Off

Lewiston, ME 7/8/98
Sweat
Hush
46 & 2
Stinkfist
Swamp Song
Third Eye
Pushit (Salival version)
Merkaba
Sober
Opiate
Flood
Ænema

Mansfield 7/9/98
Hooker With A Penis
Stinkfist
Prison Sex
Bottom
Merkaba
Sober
Pushit (Salival version)
Opiate
Flood

Like I said, UNFUCKINGTOUCHABLE!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #76
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodamlucky46 View Post
Agreed! I'm not one to live in the past but 7/7/98 thru 7/9/98 were 3 untouchable days in my book. They will never be topped. Just look at these setlists!!!

Mansfield 7/7/98
Part Of Me
46 & 2
Crawl Away
H.
Sober
Eulogy
Ænema
Jerk-Off

Lewiston, ME 7/8/98
Sweat
Hush
46 & 2
Stinkfist
Swamp Song
Third Eye
Pushit (Salival version)
Merkaba
Sober
Opiate
Flood
Ænema

Mansfield 7/9/98
Hooker With A Penis
Stinkfist
Prison Sex
Bottom
Merkaba
Sober
Pushit (Salival version)
Opiate
Flood

Like I said, UNFUCKINGTOUCHABLE!!!
OFFLINE |  
nowistoolate
08-06-2009, 08:46 PM

This was my third tool show. I've never seen them live pre-10,000 days release, but I was pretty amazed when I first saw them. I thought this was a good show, but I was a little annoyed by the mixing and irritated by Maynard's total disinterest. The show's setlist was an abridged version of the other two shows I've seen. It was my brother's first tool show and I had to keep explaining to him that I've seen Maynard actually belt out the stuff that's on the album. It was nice to see the rest of the band really putting a lot into the performance though - Adam seemed happy to be there! I would pay to see these guys play out of a second hand PA system on a crappy stage if that's what the performances came to, but I don't understand why they couldn't make this tour a little different than the last ones. The different visuals were cool, but the whole feel of the show is no different than it was a few years ago. They should take a tip from someone like Trent Reznor and make high production-value concerts in different calendar years substantially different from one another.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third tool show. I've never seen them live pre-10,000 days release, but I was pretty amazed when I first saw them. I thought this was a good show, but I was a little annoyed by the mixing and irritated by Maynard's total disinterest. The show's setlist was an abridged version of the other two shows I've seen. It was my brother's first tool show and I had to keep explaining to him that I've seen Maynard actually belt out the stuff that's on the album. It was nice to see the rest of the band really putting a lot into the performance though - Adam seemed happy to be there! I would pay to see these guys play out of a second hand PA system on a crappy stage if that's what the performances came to, but I don't understand why they couldn't make this tour a little different than the last ones. The different visuals were cool, but the whole feel of the show is no different than it was a few years ago. They should take a tip from someone like Trent Reznor and make high production-value concerts in different calendar years substantially different from one another.
OFFLINE |  
chunga
08-08-2009, 09:38 AM

It was okay. The presentation was top notch.

Last edited by chunga; 08-08-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #78
Level 7 - Loquacious

It was okay. The presentation was top notch.

Last edited by chunga; 08-08-2009 at 09:45 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply