Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Acid0.1
08-01-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insectpinsNR View Post
THIS GUY IS OUT OF HIS SKULL!!!! WOW i think your a weed doer or you do alot of beers

PEACE.
I concur.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #81
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: Could a member of the current Tool line-up be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insectpinsNR View Post
THIS GUY IS OUT OF HIS SKULL!!!! WOW i think your a weed doer or you do alot of beers

PEACE.
I concur.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
08-01-2007, 07:10 AM

I don't think any member of Tool should be replaced, but if they had too, I would say Justin because he wasn't part of the band during Opiate and Undertow.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #82
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

I don't think any member of Tool should be replaced, but if they had too, I would say Justin because he wasn't part of the band during Opiate and Undertow.
iwouldificould's Avatar iwouldificould
08-05-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
But if i HAD to choose an individual i think i'd say Maynard would be the prime candidate. As much as i love him (no, worship him), did anyone else hear the latest album/see Tool on their latest tour and feel that maybe the little bald-headed chap had lost his edge a tad? The other guys are just so mind-blowingly on top of their game right now i can't imagine any of them being excluded! WHO could fill Maynard's shoes, on the other hand, is something i can't really answer, hah.
'Lost his edge'? I don't think so. As far as his album work goes, I think his vocals are as good, if not better, than they've ever been. It's not my favorite Tool song, but you might wanna listen to the intro to "The Pot" one more time.

Maybe you mean he's 'Getting Older'. Guess what? SO AM I. Hell, I'm pushin' 40.

You're getting older too, right?

Try an experiment: go out and sing your guts out night after night for 15 yrs; then come back and tell us how your voice is doing, at least on a NIGHTLY basis with hardly any rest between gigs. On the other hand, if you went out and played an instrument night after night for 15 yrs. or so with the same guys...you'd all tend to get a lot tighter together, not to mention BETTER as individuals.

Personally, I thought he did pretty damn good for a 43-yr-old man both times I saw them on this tour...'Rosetta Stoned', 'Lateralus', and 'Wings I & II' were awesome...'Flood' and 'Schism' were pretty fuckin' cool, too.

Heck, Maynard could just stand there by the drum kit and do what he does without even opening his mouth at all, and Tool would still be an awesome show to see....but maybe that's just my opinion. I think he's a bit enigmatic; something you don't see very often.

Anyway, as for my answer to your question: Nope.

I don't know how anyone could even consider it. This ain't G 'n R, Metallica, AC/DC, or Van Halen we're talking about, is it?

I think the 4 musicians in this lineup have become something very, very special together; and NOTHING else would even come close.

Last edited by iwouldificould; 08-05-2007 at 05:22 AM..
Old 08-05-2007, 04:14 AM   #83
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
But if i HAD to choose an individual i think i'd say Maynard would be the prime candidate. As much as i love him (no, worship him), did anyone else hear the latest album/see Tool on their latest tour and feel that maybe the little bald-headed chap had lost his edge a tad? The other guys are just so mind-blowingly on top of their game right now i can't imagine any of them being excluded! WHO could fill Maynard's shoes, on the other hand, is something i can't really answer, hah.
'Lost his edge'? I don't think so. As far as his album work goes, I think his vocals are as good, if not better, than they've ever been. It's not my favorite Tool song, but you might wanna listen to the intro to "The Pot" one more time.

Maybe you mean he's 'Getting Older'. Guess what? SO AM I. Hell, I'm pushin' 40.

You're getting older too, right?

Try an experiment: go out and sing your guts out night after night for 15 yrs; then come back and tell us how your voice is doing, at least on a NIGHTLY basis with hardly any rest between gigs. On the other hand, if you went out and played an instrument night after night for 15 yrs. or so with the same guys...you'd all tend to get a lot tighter together, not to mention BETTER as individuals.

Personally, I thought he did pretty damn good for a 43-yr-old man both times I saw them on this tour...'Rosetta Stoned', 'Lateralus', and 'Wings I & II' were awesome...'Flood' and 'Schism' were pretty fuckin' cool, too.

Heck, Maynard could just stand there by the drum kit and do what he does without even opening his mouth at all, and Tool would still be an awesome show to see....but maybe that's just my opinion. I think he's a bit enigmatic; something you don't see very often.

Anyway, as for my answer to your question: Nope.

I don't know how anyone could even consider it. This ain't G 'n R, Metallica, AC/DC, or Van Halen we're talking about, is it?

I think the 4 musicians in this lineup have become something very, very special together; and NOTHING else would even come close.

Last edited by iwouldificould; 08-05-2007 at 05:22 AM..
metalwarriorx's Avatar metalwarriorx
08-13-2007, 04:41 PM

i could replace justin on bass. I"ll come up with some sick shit too just like him. but tool right now is perfect.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #84
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

i could replace justin on bass. I"ll come up with some sick shit too just like him. but tool right now is perfect.
08-13-2007, 04:43 PM

i'll come up with even crazier ideas and trip everybody out. Just how justin changed tool in aenima, i'll change tool in 10000 days III lol
Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #85

i'll come up with even crazier ideas and trip everybody out. Just how justin changed tool in aenima, i'll change tool in 10000 days III lol
08-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwarriorx View Post
i could replace justin on bass. I"ll come up with some sick shit too just like him.
No.

Quote:
but tool right now is perfect.
Yes.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #86
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 53

Quote:
i could replace justin on bass. I"ll come up with some sick shit too just like him.
No.

Quote:
but tool right now is perfect.
Yes.
08-14-2007, 12:34 AM

Yes.[/QUOTE]

indeed.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #87

Yes.[/QUOTE]

indeed.
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
This is just something me and a friend were discussing earlier. I know everyone's first response would be something along the lines of 'no fucking way' (mine too), but it's happened in the past and as far as i can tell the band has grown stronger because of it. Does anyone have some interesting (and inevitably controversial) ideas?

I think right now Tool are the best band around, and that their line-up is flawless. They should and will remain as they are as long as there is a Tool.

Vocals pine away faster than fingers/arms. If one leaves, TOOL is done. Their irreplaceable.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #88
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
This is just something me and a friend were discussing earlier. I know everyone's first response would be something along the lines of 'no fucking way' (mine too), but it's happened in the past and as far as i can tell the band has grown stronger because of it. Does anyone have some interesting (and inevitably controversial) ideas?

I think right now Tool are the best band around, and that their line-up is flawless. They should and will remain as they are as long as there is a Tool.

Vocals pine away faster than fingers/arms. If one leaves, TOOL is done. Their irreplaceable.
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
09-05-2007, 10:22 PM

i rekon, for all i love the blokes music, that you could dump adam without a problem. Another guitarist could play for them, and they would still be a really good band. I suppose its possible that they could become even 'better'. I dont think this band would be able to call themselves Tool, but it wouldnt be a bad band, just completely different.

So i spose no one could be dropped if you still want *Tool*. Unless you lucked out and found a bass player with an apropriate style. Justin isnt THAT in the fore of the music, i feel, that it would be noticed if a player of a similar vain filled his shoes.

I wouldnt touch the lineup at all.
Except i have a really, really, strong urge to kick maynard in the shins.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #89
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

i rekon, for all i love the blokes music, that you could dump adam without a problem. Another guitarist could play for them, and they would still be a really good band. I suppose its possible that they could become even 'better'. I dont think this band would be able to call themselves Tool, but it wouldnt be a bad band, just completely different.

So i spose no one could be dropped if you still want *Tool*. Unless you lucked out and found a bass player with an apropriate style. Justin isnt THAT in the fore of the music, i feel, that it would be noticed if a player of a similar vain filled his shoes.

gjamison27's Avatar gjamison27
09-06-2007, 06:26 AM

All band members are expendable however, it just wouldn't be the same band. With the exception of bass players (no offense). But someone could come in and use about the same tone and it not be as different than if you replaced others. In Tool's case, Maynard has fronted the band since day 1 and without him, its another band. If you think anyone could even come close to replacing Danny, then you need to study up on your music theory and technique. Now to Adam, I don't really understand why he takes so much grief about not being as good as the others, or not being on his game, etc. This is absolutely ridiculous. Adam Jones is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Maybe he's not as technical as Danny is on the drums, but the creative aspects of what he brings to guitar playing is phenomonal. Sure, you can learn to play Adam's riffs, but could you write them? I hardly think so. I would be willing to bet that Adam is one of the main writer's of Tool music. He is the primary creative artist in the band, where as the other three are (admitedly) more reactive artists. Adam is way too under rated.

But back to the point, its really difficult for any band to replace vocals and guitar and still have the same band. Drums (in most cases) and bass are much more easily replaced.

In example, RATM. The boot Zack, bring in Cornell, and have to change the band. Musically, they are very much the same, except a little more accesible to the mainstream, but the front man change changed the band. Now you could have easily replaced Brad or Tim and kept Rage, but Tom or Zack and the band is over.

Last edited by gjamison27; 09-06-2007 at 06:29 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #90
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0

All band members are expendable however, it just wouldn't be the same band. With the exception of bass players (no offense). But someone could come in and use about the same tone and it not be as different than if you replaced others. In Tool's case, Maynard has fronted the band since day 1 and without him, its another band. If you think anyone could even come close to replacing Danny, then you need to study up on your music theory and technique. Now to Adam, I don't really understand why he takes so much grief about not being as good as the others, or not being on his game, etc. This is absolutely ridiculous. Adam Jones is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Maybe he's not as technical as Danny is on the drums, but the creative aspects of what he brings to guitar playing is phenomonal. Sure, you can learn to play Adam's riffs, but could you write them? I hardly think so. I would be willing to bet that Adam is one of the main writer's of Tool music. He is the primary creative artist in the band, where as the other three are (admitedly) more reactive artists. Adam is way too under rated.

But back to the point, its really difficult for any band to replace vocals and guitar and still have the same band. Drums (in most cases) and bass are much more easily replaced.

In example, RATM. The boot Zack, bring in Cornell, and have to change the band. Musically, they are very much the same, except a little more accesible to the mainstream, but the front man change changed the band. Now you could have easily replaced Brad or Tim and kept Rage, but Tom or Zack and the band is over.

Last edited by gjamison27; 09-06-2007 at 06:29 AM..
Tool_Is_Sick
09-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post

Dump Adam without a problem? Answer this..Are you a "True" TOOL fan? Your post put alot of rage inside of me...not kool. ha j/k
Old 09-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #91
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post

Dump Adam without a problem? Answer this..Are you a "True" TOOL fan? Your post put alot of rage inside of me...not kool. ha j/k

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply