Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
O.G.T.92's Avatar O.G.T.92
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM

Tool has always partially pandered to the un-intellectual music lovers as well as the highly over-analyzing fans. It's nothing new, and everyone seems confused . They do both things simultaneously and always have. Even the name of the band heh heh heh.....tool.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 42
marijuana is to the pot as butt rape is to prison sex

Tool has always partially pandered to the un-intellectual music lovers as well as the highly over-analyzing fans. It's nothing new, and everyone seems confused . They do both things simultaneously and always have. Even the name of the band heh heh heh.....tool.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
02-25-2007, 09:54 PM

you are so wrong in your thread topic point.

to each their own tho.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897
Re: marijuana is to the pot as butt rape is to prison sex

you are so wrong in your thread topic point.

to each their own tho.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2007, 10:57 AM

I agree, both of those songs are metaphorical. The Pot is not about smoking weed just as much as Prison Sex is not actually about getting butt raped.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I agree, both of those songs are metaphorical. The Pot is not about smoking weed just as much as Prison Sex is not actually about getting butt raped.
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM

wow. I do I answer this?
hmm....
well, if that's how you take it: good for you.

sure, the pot may have marijuana references, but your missing the point.

same goes for buttsex in prison sex... umm, prison sex wasn't even about buttsex, neither where there any obvious correlations between the two. the name maybe? ... oh well.

anyway, if you want to make that point, then you could say anal fisting is to stinkfist as yada yada blah blah. it doesn't mean the same thing in the song! it's missing the point and taking the name literally. once again... oh well.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

wow. I do I answer this?
hmm....
well, if that's how you take it: good for you.

sure, the pot may have marijuana references, but your missing the point.

same goes for buttsex in prison sex... umm, prison sex wasn't even about buttsex, neither where there any obvious correlations between the two. the name maybe? ... oh well.

anyway, if you want to make that point, then you could say anal fisting is to stinkfist as yada yada blah blah. it doesn't mean the same thing in the song! it's missing the point and taking the name literally. once again... oh well.
02-26-2007, 07:10 PM

Both of the songs are metaphorical (though have obvious/blatant meanings in them as well). Stinkfist doesn't ACTUALLY refer to anal fisting (just like Prison Sex and The Pot don't actually refer to anal sex and marijuana, respectively). I think that's clear.

To the OP: are you claiming that TOOL's naming of certain songs (along with those songs' themes) intentionally pander to those who refuse to look deeper into the meanings. I completely disagree (as the whole "think for yourself" thing would be lost... thus both Adam and Maynard have, in interviews, termed 10,000 Days their "blues" album because no one is listening to them).

I'd just like to know why you're so sure of your "theory"...
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Both of the songs are metaphorical (though have obvious/blatant meanings in them as well). Stinkfist doesn't ACTUALLY refer to anal fisting (just like Prison Sex and The Pot don't actually refer to anal sex and marijuana, respectively). I think that's clear.

To the OP: are you claiming that TOOL's naming of certain songs (along with those songs' themes) intentionally pander to those who refuse to look deeper into the meanings. I completely disagree (as the whole "think for yourself" thing would be lost... thus both Adam and Maynard have, in interviews, termed 10,000 Days their "blues" album because no one is listening to them).

I'd just like to know why you're so sure of your "theory"...
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
02-27-2007, 05:41 PM

First of all I did jump the gun using prison sex as my example, looking back it was a poor choice. I make many erroneous comments, but everybody does.
I was basically trying to make a general statement about metaphors being used in a lot of the lyrics after seeing so many posts about "the pot is about marijuana" or "the pot has nothing to do with marijuana". It doesn't necessarily need to be one way and not the other. To me, it's obviously both. and there IS a marijuana reference in the line "Ganja? P-lease! You must have been out your mind"
In response to wearethestories post: I don't necessarily think the "think for yourself" concept is lost when pandering to a "dumber" maybe younger audience as long as it doesn't infringe on the message conveyed. They could have chosen hundreds of different "analogy" names for songs like hooker with a penis or the pot or stinkfist, but they didn't. I think this serves two purposes 1. It sparks people's interest in the band who may not have given them a second glance. I was in Jr. high when Aenima came out, and at the time it was really cool to have songs I thought were about sodomy. It wasn't until later I saw it as a song about general desensitivity. 2. more importantly, it creates a lighter side to the otherwise very serious subject matter. Adds a little smile to the mix. Whether or not either of these points are specifically premeditated by the band, I don't think for a second it's completely incidental, whatever the reason may be. And for the record i'm not sure about any of my theories. this is the opinion section.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

First of all I did jump the gun using prison sex as my example, looking back it was a poor choice. I make many erroneous comments, but everybody does.
I was basically trying to make a general statement about metaphors being used in a lot of the lyrics after seeing so many posts about "the pot is about marijuana" or "the pot has nothing to do with marijuana". It doesn't necessarily need to be one way and not the other. To me, it's obviously both. and there IS a marijuana reference in the line "Ganja? P-lease! You must have been out your mind"
In response to wearethestories post: I don't necessarily think the "think for yourself" concept is lost when pandering to a "dumber" maybe younger audience as long as it doesn't infringe on the message conveyed. They could have chosen hundreds of different "analogy" names for songs like hooker with a penis or the pot or stinkfist, but they didn't. I think this serves two purposes 1. It sparks people's interest in the band who may not have given them a second glance. I was in Jr. high when Aenima came out, and at the time it was really cool to have songs I thought were about sodomy. It wasn't until later I saw it as a song about general desensitivity. 2. more importantly, it creates a lighter side to the otherwise very serious subject matter. Adds a little smile to the mix. Whether or not either of these points are specifically premeditated by the band, I don't think for a second it's completely incidental, whatever the reason may be. And for the record i'm not sure about any of my theories. this is the opinion section.
02-28-2007, 10:42 AM

Can I get an amen
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Can I get an amen
02-28-2007, 10:48 AM

why are we still talking about this? didnt adam say it was related to the pot and the kettle joke?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

why are we still talking about this? didnt adam say it was related to the pot and the kettle joke?
02-28-2007, 10:50 AM

<shrug>
Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

<shrug>
02-28-2007, 12:12 PM

hahahaha...

I remember a little birdy on another thread calling people idiots because prison sex was about butt rape.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

hahahaha...

I remember a little birdy on another thread calling people idiots because prison sex was about butt rape.
02-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobblegobble View Post
hahahaha...

And they still are
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobblegobble View Post
hahahaha...

And they still are
03-01-2007, 08:50 AM

The reference to butt rape in the song prison sex is in the goddamn title.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

03-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.T.92 View Post
First of all, Mr. You ThinkYouHaveAClue, Stinkfist is a reference to FISTING, Secondly, ever heard of a fucking thing called METAPHOR
Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.T.92 View Post
First of all, Mr. You ThinkYouHaveAClue, Stinkfist is a reference to FISTING, Secondly, ever heard of a fucking thing called METAPHOR
03-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Interesting. Now I'm not so sure how I should be interpriting these lyrics.

"I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this shit, blood, and cum on my hands."

Carl: Yeah, it's the American tradition to cut people down to size because they've brought so much joy into our lives.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
Rod
tdn bracketologist 07

Bincount™: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Interesting. Now I'm not so sure how I should be interpriting these lyrics.

"I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this shit, blood, and cum on my hands."

Carl: Yeah, it's the American tradition to cut people down to size because they've brought so much joy into our lives.
latifbp
03-01-2007, 08:07 PM

The Pot did call the kettle black... but it still gets the ganja folks making SAT analogies all over the place
Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

The Pot did call the kettle black... but it still gets the ganja folks making SAT analogies all over the place
03-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
????? don't know how the point you make differs from what i've stated. my original post was about how i thought some posters only take lyrics literally, not metaphorically as well. Of course stinkfist is about fisting, which is a form of sodomy...... maybe that's what you misunderstood.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
????? don't know how the point you make differs from what i've stated. my original post was about how i thought some posters only take lyrics literally, not metaphorically as well. Of course stinkfist is about fisting, which is a form of sodomy...... maybe that's what you misunderstood.
Cheesegreater
03-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Saying Stinkfist is strictly about fisting isn't entirely true in my opinion. I think it's just double-entendre. Fisting and over-stimulization both.

As for the Pot. I think marijuana is relavant in this song, but just another double-entendre. The pot calling the kettle black and calling out potheads to some degree. You have to realize that Tool likes to compact a lot of meaning into their songs to make it have a greater impact.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Saying Stinkfist is strictly about fisting isn't entirely true in my opinion. I think it's just double-entendre. Fisting and over-stimulization both.

As for the Pot. I think marijuana is relavant in this song, but just another double-entendre. The pot calling the kettle black and calling out potheads to some degree. You have to realize that Tool likes to compact a lot of meaning into their songs to make it have a greater impact.
03-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post

Thank you. This was my point, better and more concisely written.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Thank you. This was my point, better and more concisely written.
03-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Exactly....my point being that I don't think Stinkfist was written about actually fisting though, I think it was meant as more of a metaphor to the desensation of people in general, however..the one guy above mentioned the line "shit, blood and cum on my hands" does seem to lean it back towards the physical aspect of fisting so I guess I'm torn a little on the matter now.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Exactly....my point being that I don't think Stinkfist was written about actually fisting though, I think it was meant as more of a metaphor to the desensation of people in general, however..the one guy above mentioned the line "shit, blood and cum on my hands" does seem to lean it back towards the physical aspect of fisting so I guess I'm torn a little on the matter now.
03-05-2007, 04:14 PM

"Shit, blood and cum" on my hands is from Prison Sex which I'm sure you already know. But that lyric from that song makes me think of the physical aspect as well. If they were so literal on the album before, then Stinkfist could certainly have a literal side to it. But, obviously I lean more towards metaphorical standpoint.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

"Shit, blood and cum" on my hands is from Prison Sex which I'm sure you already know. But that lyric from that song makes me think of the physical aspect as well. If they were so literal on the album before, then Stinkfist could certainly have a literal side to it. But, obviously I lean more towards metaphorical standpoint.
jevons
03-05-2007, 04:20 PM

Visual shit, mýah?

All that poop, and all that scoop, and all the blood, and it's just drooping.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
Banned.

Bincount™: 779

Visual shit, mýah?

All that poop, and all that scoop, and all the blood, and it's just drooping.
Cheesegreater
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM

I really do feel he's calling out potheads though. At least to some degree. My friends and I mostly smoke and I remember a friend of mine saying "Do you think that's a rather bold move on Maynard's behalf?" It goes without saying that plenty of people who listen to The Pot smoke it too.
I kinda of thought of it like this. Potheads are good at noticing flaws in our legal system and often have radical progressive views, but they don't seem to be able to truly get together. In other words, they do a lot of calling people out, but they don't really want to put themselves out on a limb most of the time (and this is what I believe) for fear of their own personal flaws being exposed. I could go more in to detail, but I think I've conveyed the general jist.

But I think this theory fits the whole double-entendre message that is obviously in this song.

Spiral out guys
Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

I really do feel he's calling out potheads though. At least to some degree. My friends and I mostly smoke and I remember a friend of mine saying "Do you think that's a rather bold move on Maynard's behalf?" It goes without saying that plenty of people who listen to The Pot smoke it too.
I kinda of thought of it like this. Potheads are good at noticing flaws in our legal system and often have radical progressive views, but they don't seem to be able to truly get together. In other words, they do a lot of calling people out, but they don't really want to put themselves out on a limb most of the time (and this is what I believe) for fear of their own personal flaws being exposed. I could go more in to detail, but I think I've conveyed the general jist.

But I think this theory fits the whole double-entendre message that is obviously in this song.

Spiral out guys
jevons
03-05-2007, 04:47 PM

Thank you. Thank you so much.

Love and kisses,
Zaphod

P.S. Weed is fucking stupid
Old 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #23
Banned.

Love and kisses,
Zaphod

Cheesegreater
03-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post

Love and kisses,
Zaphod

Could do without your P.S.

I hate the culture we live in. Let's see... if you smoke pot: You'll run over a little girl at the drive-thru. A baby will drown cause you were away smoking. Your best friend will end up in a wreck. An alien will steal your girlfriend.

All of those have been commercials at some point in the last couple of years. I've debated on the weed issue endless hours. People who don't smoke/won't smoke think they a goddamned better than those who do. Because they've been brainwashed by this "above the influence" wave of propaganda. Futhermore, they think a very few people with dreadlocks and tatoos who live with their moms are the only ones who smoke weed. Anyone who's been to college knows this is a load of shit. They know that they've even had professors who smoke and have been teaching for many years.

I don't smoke cigarettes mind you. and I know that no one likes to discuss vices. ALL ANTI-DRUG COMMERCIALS ARE STRICTLY ABOUT POT AND CIGARETTES these days. Alcohol? No commercials anymore. Drink yourself to liver desease. Crack/Cocaine/amphetamines/Heroine/ecstacy ect... Nothing... The hardest drugs.. there are no commercials about them. I guess I'm the only one that finds this incredibly fucked up, but I am getting so tired of these commercials fucking viciously attacking people who smoke marijuana.

I think Maynard has a mature approach to marijuana. I think he disapproves of it in excess, which is a great policy with anything in life. But to say that he totally hates it or thinks people who smoke it are all stupid is quite a stretch. I mean Justin threw a bag of weed out in the crowd at the Amsterdam show. Would he HATE a fellow band member. No... The answer is no.

In an interview Maynard himself has said that hate isn't a very productive emotion at all. But anger however is one of the most productive. People's misconceptions on marijuana infuriates me, but I don't hate those people. I just want those people to be informed and not just herd together like sheep behind Mr, Mackey's motto "Drugs are bad M'kay." So they can just shake their head and not have to think... cause that would hurt their brains.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Love and kisses,
Zaphod

I hate the culture we live in. Let's see... if you smoke pot: You'll run over a little girl at the drive-thru. A baby will drown cause you were away smoking. Your best friend will end up in a wreck. An alien will steal your girlfriend.

All of those have been commercials at some point in the last couple of years. I've debated on the weed issue endless hours. People who don't smoke/won't smoke think they a goddamned better than those who do. Because they've been brainwashed by this "above the influence" wave of propaganda. Futhermore, they think a very few people with dreadlocks and tatoos who live with their moms are the only ones who smoke weed. Anyone who's been to college knows this is a load of shit. They know that they've even had professors who smoke and have been teaching for many years.

I don't smoke cigarettes mind you. and I know that no one likes to discuss vices. ALL ANTI-DRUG COMMERCIALS ARE STRICTLY ABOUT POT AND CIGARETTES these days. Alcohol? No commercials anymore. Drink yourself to liver desease. Crack/Cocaine/amphetamines/Heroine/ecstacy ect... Nothing... The hardest drugs.. there are no commercials about them. I guess I'm the only one that finds this incredibly fucked up, but I am getting so tired of these commercials fucking viciously attacking people who smoke marijuana.

I think Maynard has a mature approach to marijuana. I think he disapproves of it in excess, which is a great policy with anything in life. But to say that he totally hates it or thinks people who smoke it are all stupid is quite a stretch. I mean Justin threw a bag of weed out in the crowd at the Amsterdam show. Would he HATE a fellow band member. No... The answer is no.

In an interview Maynard himself has said that hate isn't a very productive emotion at all. But anger however is one of the most productive. People's misconceptions on marijuana infuriates me, but I don't hate those people. I just want those people to be informed and not just herd together like sheep behind Mr, Mackey's motto "Drugs are bad M'kay." So they can just shake their head and not have to think... cause that would hurt their brains.
Mr. Electric Ocean
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM

I am going to be straight up honest here... I do not do drugs... never have been interested in it. I do not have a problem with drugs... I believe that drugs can be used to accomplish things for medicine and enlightenment.

However, I cannot stand the individuals who waste their days away smoking or drinking or shooting up and spending all this money on getting fucked up day in and day out. People have no pace and no purpose. How can you expect to get the full impact of something when you do not know what it can do to you and how to effectively use it to get where it can get you? I can't stand all people who wear their Abercrombie shit and all these fucking frat boys and party hour. There is a difference between using something to an advantage and taking advantage of a material because you cannot escape it naturally.

Don't get me wrong... there are people that out there that do amazing things with drugs and really do something with the experience... but I don't like to see people take advantage of themselves for the sake of a state of mind that they haven't tried to reach without the drug.

I really dont whine about it... I keep my opinion straight forward... to myself for the most part... but isn't anyone sick of seeing people completely trashed and ruining a situation becasue they cannot use proper patience or take their time and do something reponsibly?

I mean its not like this is the only thing I cannot tolerate... I hate our media and how products are sold and the use of sex and male/female bodies as sex appeal and people all doing the same shit as everyone. But sometimes I wish I just heard more people speak out about it.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I am going to be straight up honest here... I do not do drugs... never have been interested in it. I do not have a problem with drugs... I believe that drugs can be used to accomplish things for medicine and enlightenment.

However, I cannot stand the individuals who waste their days away smoking or drinking or shooting up and spending all this money on getting fucked up day in and day out. People have no pace and no purpose. How can you expect to get the full impact of something when you do not know what it can do to you and how to effectively use it to get where it can get you? I can't stand all people who wear their Abercrombie shit and all these fucking frat boys and party hour. There is a difference between using something to an advantage and taking advantage of a material because you cannot escape it naturally.

Don't get me wrong... there are people that out there that do amazing things with drugs and really do something with the experience... but I don't like to see people take advantage of themselves for the sake of a state of mind that they haven't tried to reach without the drug.

I really dont whine about it... I keep my opinion straight forward... to myself for the most part... but isn't anyone sick of seeing people completely trashed and ruining a situation becasue they cannot use proper patience or take their time and do something reponsibly?

I mean its not like this is the only thing I cannot tolerate... I hate our media and how products are sold and the use of sex and male/female bodies as sex appeal and people all doing the same shit as everyone. But sometimes I wish I just heard more people speak out about it.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Cheesegreater
03-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Ocean View Post

I really appreciate this post man. I hope that you didn't take offense to my saying that people who don't ever do drugs think they are better. I stand corrected, I should have said "most people..."
I just want people exactly like you to understand the complexity of people who use drugs. There is a wide array out there, and someone's generalizing and stereotyping can be way off if they know nothing of the drug culture. If someone goes to college in the morning and they work at night, what's wrong with them smoking a joint at home when they get off?
I DO NOT condone even moderate use of "hard drugs" (cocaine,X,meth for instance) because they are SO harmful to the body. You can over-dose and kill yourself on any of those. But if you ever thought a friend was exaggerating when he/she said no one has ever ODed on marijuana; well, they weren't lying just to get you to smoke with them.
I hope you can appreciate the point I'm trying to make. I certainly appreciate yours. I know all to well what it's like to see someone live from one fucking party to another, and it is undoubtedly pathetic.
It seems people are all-to-willing to accept that someone can be a "responsible drinker" but it just waaay beyond them to imagine a "responsible pot-smoker," right? Bullshit, I've known some hardcore type-A personality over-achieving potheads doing quite well for themselves. Why is it hard for some of the masses to understand that people like that are out there? Most likely they haven't tried it or only did it once and didn't like it. That's the equivalent of drinking a glass of wine and saying "I don't like alcohol at all." They simply don't have a frame of reference. I think everyone should know the difference between weed and alcohol, and "hard drugs," there is a world of difference. I have never and will never shoot up. I've experimented and I've never binged on anything aside from drinking with my friends on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and that's rare and in my early college days.
I'm certainly not encouraging people to smoke pot. If you are opposed to it or think that any use of pot is some kind of disgrace to humankind that's fine, just push those feelings onto those who choose to. People know exactly what they are doing when they smoke pot. They know there is a bad stigma. They know there are people out there who despise them just for smoking it. But, believe it or not pot smokers will keep other smokers in check. For instance "Hey man, I haven't seen you in Psychology at all last week. Dude, you might have to stop smoking weed in the mornings. I know I've had to stop. We do have midterms in one week ya know." Impossible to believe? It happens all the time. And if the guys got half a brain he'll say "Fuck man, you're totally right. I'm going to get ready for that test." It seems like some people like to think if you smoke you lose all ability to use logical reasoning and are destined to be a couch-potato for the rest of your life.
On the other hand there is always "some" truth to stereo-types or else they never would have been formed. Therefore, there are lazy, worthless, potheads who play video games all day and never think about their future, and people livin' da ghetto lifestyle, only concerned about their next blunt. I can't stand that kind of behavior anymore than you. It's shitty. It's a cop-out.
But the reason legislation is slowly changing concerning pot is because of this whole argument I've presented. There are plenty of honest, hard-working, up-standing citizens that smoke weed and are sick and tired of being treated like a common criminal. These people don't feel it's too much to demand to not be chastised for a little marijuana for personal use. In my little state of "po-dunk" Arkansas marijuana has been decriminalized in Eureka Springs. And as I'm sure all of you know Arkansas is the bible-belt through and through.
I apologize for the incredibly long post, and I'm sorry if any of my opinions have been too opionated. :)

If there were one thing that the song "the Pot" could do, I wish it would at least make people formulate a more informed understanding of marijuana. So they can look at the subject as a spectrum, and not just group things together and know there are all types out there. Rich to poor, doctor to janitor, liars and lawyers and everything in between. As i said... I appreciate your post, and I didn't mean to offend you in any way.

Peace guys!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Ocean View Post

I really appreciate this post man. I hope that you didn't take offense to my saying that people who don't ever do drugs think they are better. I stand corrected, I should have said "most people..."
I just want people exactly like you to understand the complexity of people who use drugs. There is a wide array out there, and someone's generalizing and stereotyping can be way off if they know nothing of the drug culture. If someone goes to college in the morning and they work at night, what's wrong with them smoking a joint at home when they get off?
I DO NOT condone even moderate use of "hard drugs" (cocaine,X,meth for instance) because they are SO harmful to the body. You can over-dose and kill yourself on any of those. But if you ever thought a friend was exaggerating when he/she said no one has ever ODed on marijuana; well, they weren't lying just to get you to smoke with them.
I hope you can appreciate the point I'm trying to make. I certainly appreciate yours. I know all to well what it's like to see someone live from one fucking party to another, and it is undoubtedly pathetic.
It seems people are all-to-willing to accept that someone can be a "responsible drinker" but it just waaay beyond them to imagine a "responsible pot-smoker," right? Bullshit, I've known some hardcore type-A personality over-achieving potheads doing quite well for themselves. Why is it hard for some of the masses to understand that people like that are out there? Most likely they haven't tried it or only did it once and didn't like it. That's the equivalent of drinking a glass of wine and saying "I don't like alcohol at all." They simply don't have a frame of reference. I think everyone should know the difference between weed and alcohol, and "hard drugs," there is a world of difference. I have never and will never shoot up. I've experimented and I've never binged on anything aside from drinking with my friends on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and that's rare and in my early college days.
I'm certainly not encouraging people to smoke pot. If you are opposed to it or think that any use of pot is some kind of disgrace to humankind that's fine, just push those feelings onto those who choose to. People know exactly what they are doing when they smoke pot. They know there is a bad stigma. They know there are people out there who despise them just for smoking it. But, believe it or not pot smokers will keep other smokers in check. For instance "Hey man, I haven't seen you in Psychology at all last week. Dude, you might have to stop smoking weed in the mornings. I know I've had to stop. We do have midterms in one week ya know." Impossible to believe? It happens all the time. And if the guys got half a brain he'll say "Fuck man, you're totally right. I'm going to get ready for that test." It seems like some people like to think if you smoke you lose all ability to use logical reasoning and are destined to be a couch-potato for the rest of your life.
On the other hand there is always "some" truth to stereo-types or else they never would have been formed. Therefore, there are lazy, worthless, potheads who play video games all day and never think about their future, and people livin' da ghetto lifestyle, only concerned about their next blunt. I can't stand that kind of behavior anymore than you. It's shitty. It's a cop-out.
But the reason legislation is slowly changing concerning pot is because of this whole argument I've presented. There are plenty of honest, hard-working, up-standing citizens that smoke weed and are sick and tired of being treated like a common criminal. These people don't feel it's too much to demand to not be chastised for a little marijuana for personal use. In my little state of "po-dunk" Arkansas marijuana has been decriminalized in Eureka Springs. And as I'm sure all of you know Arkansas is the bible-belt through and through.
I apologize for the incredibly long post, and I'm sorry if any of my opinions have been too opionated. :)

If there were one thing that the song "the Pot" could do, I wish it would at least make people formulate a more informed understanding of marijuana. So they can look at the subject as a spectrum, and not just group things together and know there are all types out there. Rich to poor, doctor to janitor, liars and lawyers and everything in between. As i said... I appreciate your post, and I didn't mean to offend you in any way.

Peace guys!
Cheesegreater
03-05-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Insertcrypticnamehere> View Post
Everyone should read this. I made that huge ass post, but this sums it up very well.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Insertcrypticnamehere> View Post
Everyone should read this. I made that huge ass post, but this sums it up very well.

Thanks
jevons
03-06-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Ok, my turn. I have done more fucking drugs than it takes to kill pachedyrms. Think of something, anything. Fuck's sake i smoked a cigarette dipped in formaldehyde in grade nine. I have made mistakes.
Yes, your boyfriend has a mature approach to weed; so do i. I happen to think it is a pointless drug. I happen to think you are a douche. These are not products of ''brainwashing'', as you say, i came to this conclusion by observing the differences between my mind functions prior to and after quitting. It was like a fucking cloud was lifted off of my brain: Samurai Jack stopped being my favourite show, i realised burgers were mostly worms, shit, vomit and piss, and most of all, my voice crawled out of the Kurt Cobain dungeon (all credit to Nirvana).
I've been to college, film school, and i've smoked with people who i never would have dreamt of smoking with.
For a pothead, you sure got a lot of penned-up frustration. Are you jerking-off enough?
I know weed doesn't kill people, you are not enlightening me with ''revelations'' from the fucking sixties'. What would weed do for an economy if legalised? Fucking nothing, because everybody and their grandmother would just grow it instead of buying the government shit. Weed has no future in medicine, because it is cheaper than morpheine, and all the other shit they forcefeed cancer patients. You want to smoke it, fine. But one day, when all the potato chips are gone, you'll look around and think: fuck it, i'm too old to have kids... where did the chips go? And who are you? The television will not respond.
Please, tell me more about my misconceptions. Tell me how weed once saved your life, changed your perspective of this reality. Tell me how you couldn't read your own handwriting the next morning. Weed will never be anything more than a pussy little giggle drug.
Thus, is fucking stupid.
Fuck yourself, smart-E pants.

Fuck the hard drugs,
fuck the soft drugs,
fuck the drugs you never get told are drugs,
Take some psychedellics, if you must.
Liquor is poison.

I call it, drugs.

Last edited by jevons; 03-06-2007 at 08:36 AM..
Old 03-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #29
Banned.

Quote:

Ok, my turn. I have done more fucking drugs than it takes to kill pachedyrms. Think of something, anything. Fuck's sake i smoked a cigarette dipped in formaldehyde in grade nine. I have made mistakes.
Yes, your boyfriend has a mature approach to weed; so do i. I happen to think it is a pointless drug. I happen to think you are a douche. These are not products of ''brainwashing'', as you say, i came to this conclusion by observing the differences between my mind functions prior to and after quitting. It was like a fucking cloud was lifted off of my brain: Samurai Jack stopped being my favourite show, i realised burgers were mostly worms, shit, vomit and piss, and most of all, my voice crawled out of the Kurt Cobain dungeon (all credit to Nirvana).
I've been to college, film school, and i've smoked with people who i never would have dreamt of smoking with.
For a pothead, you sure got a lot of penned-up frustration. Are you jerking-off enough?
I know weed doesn't kill people, you are not enlightening me with ''revelations'' from the fucking sixties'. What would weed do for an economy if legalised? Fucking nothing, because everybody and their grandmother would just grow it instead of buying the government shit. Weed has no future in medicine, because it is cheaper than morpheine, and all the other shit they forcefeed cancer patients. You want to smoke it, fine. But one day, when all the potato chips are gone, you'll look around and think: fuck it, i'm too old to have kids... where did the chips go? And who are you? The television will not respond.
Please, tell me more about my misconceptions. Tell me how weed once saved your life, changed your perspective of this reality. Tell me how you couldn't read your own handwriting the next morning. Weed will never be anything more than a pussy little giggle drug.
Thus, is fucking stupid.

Fuck the hard drugs,
fuck the soft drugs,
Liquor is poison.

I call it, drugs.

Last edited by jevons; 03-06-2007 at 08:36 AM..
Cheesegreater
03-07-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Thus, is fucking stupid.

Fuck the hard drugs,
fuck the soft drugs,
Liquor is poison.

I call it, drugs.
Do you honestly think you would ever not hate me? I personally think you would be incapable because you've already pinned me as someone who devoutly watches Samurai Jack for Christ's sake (which I've always hated.) It seems you want to deny the government has done anything wrong on the war on drugs thus far.

Also, it's pretty egostical for you to attack me when you obviously didn't read the next few posts. You rad mine, became consumed in rage and were determined to tell this "low-life" how much of a fuck-up I really am. And you didn't stop there. You really had to drive it home. Did I ever say "fuck you!" or "you need to jack-off more" or any of ther other hateful fucking bullshit you threw my direction?

Of course you would deny that you mistreated me in any kind of way and that I initiated it and got what I deserved.

I've known people who have never touched so much as a cup of coffee. You would have everyone here believe that I can't stand people like that, and that I am being some sort of pompous ass. Also, I know plenty of people who've stopped smoking after years of doing so... I've quit for a year before, and I know "the cloud being lifted from your brain effect." And when it happens you really want your other smoking friends to share your feelings. Why do you wish to think potheads don't already know this? If somone makes their life center around one thing it will have it's draw-backs. Also, you say hallucinagens or okay and weed is stupid. People have had psychotic breaks and killed themselves on hallucinagens. That is fact... and I'm not even going to compare that to pot.

Did you not read my whole speil about what I thought of ALL the other drugs out there? I want anyone to do what they want to. You seem to want to preach your story of "I've been there, smoked weed with all the cool kats, and had a good ole time, but in hindsight it was messing up my life, and I needed a change." That is truly a great testimony. AND I"M NOT BEING SARCASTIC, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW YOU WANT TO BELIEVE THAT. I really and deeply appreciate that point of view and there are plenty of stupid kids out there not doing jackshit in their lives but getting fucked up and throwing there lives away that need to hear a message like that. And I hope to god you've read this far because I'm truly pointing out some real shit that YOU made an excellent point on.

I don't want us to be at eachothers throats. I have no doubt that you've progressed and done exceedingly well in your studies in college, and I sincerely apologize if you thought I was just trying to toot my arrogant horn and just flame the Hell out of you. I'm not the best college student. I do all right. I've slipped up a couple times, but overall I've been doing all right, and at the stage I'm at now I can only hope things work out for me as they have for you.

For what it's worth, I feel that there are plenty of people who choose to smoke or do whatever drug they desire, and you or I both don't have any place to tell others that we think what they are doing is wrong. We can offer insight, but beyond that people no what they are getting in to.

I know that I had to come off as an ass in my last post and I admit you fueled the fire that made me want to write the post, just as my post fueled to the fire to write yours. You have every right to retalliate for me being a dick. But if it's any consulation I was directing most of my anger towards commercials that teach people to despise others who smoke. Also, those "Truth" commercials irritate me in the same way, and I have never so much as taken one drag off a tobacco cigarette.

Telling me that you want to know how pot changed my life really was a low blow. You knew that if I were to try to respond to that, that you could make me out to be a comlete moron. You've set so many traps for futher ridicule, and I really wish I would have never posted. I feel like I've fallen in the trap of pissing you off to the point that all you can think is "Please provoke me! Please just open your stupid mouth one more time so that I an have the pleasure of cutting you down even futher!" What can result of this but more animosity? Thinking one is more pretentious than the other? It's not worth it.

I'm willing to withdraw everything I've said. I don't feel the need to just upset people. And I feel I've expressed views that people generally don't agree with (at least here), or they just think I'm saying the same shit they've heard for years from others and I'm just offering empty advice. I really don't care at this point,

I apologize Jevon. Fuck man, I never wanted to be your nemesis.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Thus, is fucking stupid.

Fuck the hard drugs,
fuck the soft drugs,
Liquor is poison.

I call it, drugs.
Do you honestly think you would ever not hate me? I personally think you would be incapable because you've already pinned me as someone who devoutly watches Samurai Jack for Christ's sake (which I've always hated.) It seems you want to deny the government has done anything wrong on the war on drugs thus far.

Also, it's pretty egostical for you to attack me when you obviously didn't read the next few posts. You rad mine, became consumed in rage and were determined to tell this "low-life" how much of a fuck-up I really am. And you didn't stop there. You really had to drive it home. Did I ever say "fuck you!" or "you need to jack-off more" or any of ther other hateful fucking bullshit you threw my direction?

Of course you would deny that you mistreated me in any kind of way and that I initiated it and got what I deserved.

I've known people who have never touched so much as a cup of coffee. You would have everyone here believe that I can't stand people like that, and that I am being some sort of pompous ass. Also, I know plenty of people who've stopped smoking after years of doing so... I've quit for a year before, and I know "the cloud being lifted from your brain effect." And when it happens you really want your other smoking friends to share your feelings. Why do you wish to think potheads don't already know this? If somone makes their life center around one thing it will have it's draw-backs. Also, you say hallucinagens or okay and weed is stupid. People have had psychotic breaks and killed themselves on hallucinagens. That is fact... and I'm not even going to compare that to pot.

Did you not read my whole speil about what I thought of ALL the other drugs out there? I want anyone to do what they want to. You seem to want to preach your story of "I've been there, smoked weed with all the cool kats, and had a good ole time, but in hindsight it was messing up my life, and I needed a change." That is truly a great testimony. AND I"M NOT BEING SARCASTIC, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW YOU WANT TO BELIEVE THAT. I really and deeply appreciate that point of view and there are plenty of stupid kids out there not doing jackshit in their lives but getting fucked up and throwing there lives away that need to hear a message like that. And I hope to god you've read this far because I'm truly pointing out some real shit that YOU made an excellent point on.

I don't want us to be at eachothers throats. I have no doubt that you've progressed and done exceedingly well in your studies in college, and I sincerely apologize if you thought I was just trying to toot my arrogant horn and just flame the Hell out of you. I'm not the best college student. I do all right. I've slipped up a couple times, but overall I've been doing all right, and at the stage I'm at now I can only hope things work out for me as they have for you.

For what it's worth, I feel that there are plenty of people who choose to smoke or do whatever drug they desire, and you or I both don't have any place to tell others that we think what they are doing is wrong. We can offer insight, but beyond that people no what they are getting in to.

I know that I had to come off as an ass in my last post and I admit you fueled the fire that made me want to write the post, just as my post fueled to the fire to write yours. You have every right to retalliate for me being a dick. But if it's any consulation I was directing most of my anger towards commercials that teach people to despise others who smoke. Also, those "Truth" commercials irritate me in the same way, and I have never so much as taken one drag off a tobacco cigarette.

Telling me that you want to know how pot changed my life really was a low blow. You knew that if I were to try to respond to that, that you could make me out to be a comlete moron. You've set so many traps for futher ridicule, and I really wish I would have never posted. I feel like I've fallen in the trap of pissing you off to the point that all you can think is "Please provoke me! Please just open your stupid mouth one more time so that I an have the pleasure of cutting you down even futher!" What can result of this but more animosity? Thinking one is more pretentious than the other? It's not worth it.

I'm willing to withdraw everything I've said. I don't feel the need to just upset people. And I feel I've expressed views that people generally don't agree with (at least here), or they just think I'm saying the same shit they've heard for years from others and I'm just offering empty advice. I really don't care at this point,

I apologize Jevon. Fuck man, I never wanted to be your nemesis.
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Spiral out guys

Sounds logical
Old 03-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #31
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Spiral out guys

Sounds logical
03-08-2007, 11:03 AM

WHAT THE FUCK CHEESE....I HAVEN'T READ YOUR NOVEL YET...WILL DO SOON BUT, JESUS CHRISTY MAN
Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

WHAT THE FUCK CHEESE....I HAVEN'T READ YOUR NOVEL YET...WILL DO SOON BUT, JESUS CHRISTY MAN
03-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Thus, is fucking stupid.

Fuck the hard drugs,
fuck the soft drugs,
Liquor is poison.

I call it, drugs.

WOW....it's people like you that fill the world with hate. The other guy was never vindictive towards ones who do not use any form of drugs. I for one, have had my share of experimenting with almost everything as well. Never smoked crack or shot anything up and never will. I have never once even tried to coerce anyone to do anything, if it's not for them it's not for them. I am much older and wiser now and have a 3yr old son. Once in a blue moon I might pull out the pinch hitter and take a puff, what's the big deal. To blindly hate somebody like you apparently do simply because they smoke a little pot or whatever it is they do is just plain illogical. If that's the case then you may as well give away every dollar you have and live as a hermit because almost every dollar bill has cocaine residue and the things you buy, wear and use have at some time been in the hands of somebody doing drugs, or were high when they put it together in the factory. Throw out all your CD's because most of the best music was created by a musician while on one thing or another. You're one close-minded and very angry person. Did mommy and daddy not love you enough?

Last edited by Inner_Eulogy; 03-08-2007 at 11:38 AM..
Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #33
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Thus, is fucking stupid.

Fuck the hard drugs,
fuck the soft drugs,
Liquor is poison.

I call it, drugs.

WOW....it's people like you that fill the world with hate. The other guy was never vindictive towards ones who do not use any form of drugs. I for one, have had my share of experimenting with almost everything as well. Never smoked crack or shot anything up and never will. I have never once even tried to coerce anyone to do anything, if it's not for them it's not for them. I am much older and wiser now and have a 3yr old son. Once in a blue moon I might pull out the pinch hitter and take a puff, what's the big deal. To blindly hate somebody like you apparently do simply because they smoke a little pot or whatever it is they do is just plain illogical. If that's the case then you may as well give away every dollar you have and live as a hermit because almost every dollar bill has cocaine residue and the things you buy, wear and use have at some time been in the hands of somebody doing drugs, or were high when they put it together in the factory. Throw out all your CD's because most of the best music was created by a musician while on one thing or another. You're one close-minded and very angry person. Did mommy and daddy not love you enough?

Last edited by Inner_Eulogy; 03-08-2007 at 11:38 AM..
03-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Cheesgreater, BRAVO <applause> I'm with you all the way on this and I don't think you shoudl withdraw a thing. It was the most well put together thoughts without pointing fingers that I've seen on these threads in a long time.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #34
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Cheesgreater, BRAVO <applause> I'm with you all the way on this and I don't think you shoudl withdraw a thing. It was the most well put together thoughts without pointing fingers that I've seen on these threads in a long time.
03-08-2007, 11:42 AM

Agreed, good job. (Hey, who would have thought?)
Old 03-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

Agreed, good job. (Hey, who would have thought?)
jevons
03-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Ok, ok, i was a little harsh. But I am sick and tired of everyone saying ''weed is alright, it's cool cuz it don't kill no one.'' That is bullshit. Sure, weed never directly killed anyone, but i don't know anybody, ever, in my years as a professional everythingologist have ever seen someone just smoke pot. That whole gateway shit, hate to say it, makes a bit of sense to me.
I am sorry for getting vindictive, it just read as pretensious to me. It is a personal subject and, hate to say it, i am sorry.
There are too many reasons for me to get into, but #1 above all, ichiban of ichiban is, i have never seen anyone become something greater than they were as a result of weed. I have never felt cleverer, more capable, or even fully conscious while stoned. I watched a lot of greatness in my life collapse to drugs (for awhile, eight years, myself), and, for everyone i know, it started with harmless weeds. I will not retract a word beyond the insults, memories insist.
And mommy and daddy did worse than you can imagine, so drop that little nugget off in the toilet, there, Inner_Eulogy.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #36
Banned.

Ok, ok, i was a little harsh. But I am sick and tired of everyone saying ''weed is alright, it's cool cuz it don't kill no one.'' That is bullshit. Sure, weed never directly killed anyone, but i don't know anybody, ever, in my years as a professional everythingologist have ever seen someone just smoke pot. That whole gateway shit, hate to say it, makes a bit of sense to me.
I am sorry for getting vindictive, it just read as pretensious to me. It is a personal subject and, hate to say it, i am sorry.
There are too many reasons for me to get into, but #1 above all, ichiban of ichiban is, i have never seen anyone become something greater than they were as a result of weed. I have never felt cleverer, more capable, or even fully conscious while stoned. I watched a lot of greatness in my life collapse to drugs (for awhile, eight years, myself), and, for everyone i know, it started with harmless weeds. I will not retract a word beyond the insults, memories insist.
And mommy and daddy did worse than you can imagine, so drop that little nugget off in the toilet, there, Inner_Eulogy.
03-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Not to start a war over the subject, but I must contest: Cleverer is not a word in the english language. That is all.

<hears the South Park Movie song playing in my head> Blaaamme Caanaadaaa
Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #37
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Not to start a war over the subject, but I must contest: Cleverer is not a word in the english language. That is all.

<hears the South Park Movie song playing in my head> Blaaamme Caanaadaaa
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Yes, it is. You Americans really want to start a language war? Go by your ''drive-thru'' first, or check out the ''color'' of your eyes, or, best of all... Go read a fucking dictionary.

You barely even speak English anymore. But real English, the kind which came from England, clearly states that cleverer, cleverest, cleverness, cleverly, and yes, clever are ALL FUCKING WORDS IN THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY.

Do not fuck with me about this. Your tail will be between your legs, and i don't like it when tails are between legs, cuz then i can't pull them and run away like a girl giggling.

neighboUr
flavoUr
savoUr

i could go on.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #38
Banned.

Yes, it is. You Americans really want to start a language war? Go by your ''drive-thru'' first, or check out the ''color'' of your eyes, or, best of all... Go read a fucking dictionary.

You barely even speak English anymore. But real English, the kind which came from England, clearly states that cleverer, cleverest, cleverness, cleverly, and yes, clever are ALL FUCKING WORDS IN THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY.

Do not fuck with me about this. Your tail will be between your legs, and i don't like it when tails are between legs, cuz then i can't pull them and run away like a girl giggling.

neighboUr
flavoUr
savoUr

i could go on.
jevons
03-08-2007, 12:50 PM

See any Monty Python skit. You know, those brilliantly educated ENGLISH people who make you laugh and think at the same time? See the old Flying Circuis episodes if you still need more proof.

tell your educators to stop killing grammar, it's spreading here like a disease, dead grammar is.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #39
Banned.

See any Monty Python skit. You know, those brilliantly educated ENGLISH people who make you laugh and think at the same time? See the old Flying Circuis episodes if you still need more proof.

tell your educators to stop killing grammar, it's spreading here like a disease, dead grammar is.
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
03-08-2007, 01:20 PM

what's the point of correct grammer? half the shit we speak now is slang anyway....grammer is already dead. it's revival never coming.

you can't teach an old dawg new tricks, espeically when you C that kidz nowadayz are fucking swashmouthin' curse words < n' >, and it's damned near impossible to understand what we are sayin'. Froshizzle nizzle. L8tr hommie.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

what's the point of correct grammer? half the shit we speak now is slang anyway....grammer is already dead. it's revival never coming.

you can't teach an old dawg new tricks, espeically when you C that kidz nowadayz are fucking swashmouthin' curse words < n' >, and it's damned near impossible to understand what we are sayin'. Froshizzle nizzle. L8tr hommie.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply