opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #121
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/18 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

bitch bitch bitch.

again, fucking phenomenal show.

i only hope the band doesn't read the garbage that (alot) of you whiney pricks throw around on this site.

nah....they probably pay more attention to the awesome response they get from the crowd. not all you whiney internet bastards. ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #122
Level 1 - Lurker

My first Tool concert and it fucking destroyed me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #123
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaro summability View Post
Please tell me what was so great about ISIS........... Anyone? I used the time they wasted to go get a beer and have a couple smokes. I definately suggest anyone going to a future show boo their asses off the stage. There are many bands that would have opened much better for Tool. I wish my part of ticket sales that ISIS collects could go to getting them music lessons.
You do realize that bands usually pick the bands that open for them because they themselves enjoy listening to them? Booing an opening band off stage isn't just making you look like a fucking twat but insulting the musical taste of those you came to see. I'm not saying you have to like them but seriously, planning to boo them off stage? Grow the fuck up.

Last edited by Nymeria; 09-20-2006 at 03:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #124
Level 1 - Lurker

ISIS is a good band, their album Oceanic rocks. They aren't a "Stadium Rock" band.

Show was great, except people who wouldn't stop saying shit like "Loud Noises" during 10,000 Days. Come on, it's an emotional song give it the respect that it deserves.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #125
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my forth tool show and I have to say it rocked. Even if my seats sucked it was a great show and I cant wait to see them for a 5th time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #126
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat404 View Post

Good show, however, compared to Lateralus (2002 I think, Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, Michigan) This show was weak.
EXACTLY. I was at that show as well.... by far the best show I've ever seen was Wings Stadium in 02... Kalamazoo, Michigan. (I said it was the 97 show earlier on this thread... but I meant the 02 show)

Fatass dirty dollar

How and why they thought the lasers were a good idea for this tour... I don't know. Maybe it's saving them money... because the ambiance for this tour is comical relative to 02.. unfortunately, it's more than that though. The intensity, passion, focus, desire... and the sound quality that results is lacking.
So the lasers are merely the tip of an iceberg.

and if you're going to tell me the lasers cost more than doing the big screens... hence, the higher ticket cost... well, don't bother.

It's more of a performance now driven by green.. than a true desire to express and perform their art.

If it's such a drag, and so tedious playing every night, give yourself a couple-few nights in between playing..
It might help having more time between shows in respect to playing longer too. 90 minutes? The 02 show if I recall correctly was pushing 3 hours... and it seemed like 10 minutes... because it was that special.

I'd pay more money if that's what it took in order to get the old feeling back... but unfortunately, I get the distinct feeling that even if the old screens were back... or some new thoughtful setup altogether... I wouldn't be overwhelmed with the realization that I just felt and witnessed something truly amazing. Point is.. it's not the peripheral stuff that makes Tool special.. it's the individuals, their conviction, and the music that results from it. Not a fucking laser.

I have tickets to see them again in Michigan on Friday... and I'm not even that fired up to see them if it's going to be comparable to Chicago.

Sure, if I had never seen them before, and didn't know what they were (and still are) truly capable of doing... then I'm sure I'd go to Friday's show and come to this page and say how unbelievable the show was. Unfortunately, I know better.

Those of you who think the show now is at the same level as it was back 5 years ago... you're wrong. 10 years ago it was better too... because it was raw and all about the music.. nothing compromised.

It's a show now. it's a performance now.

it used to be a wonder.. now it just causes it.

like they feel they need to entertain with something other than the music?

Tool has never been about gimmicks, cutting corners or hypocrisy... apparently until now.

Lasers. They add nothing. But they distract and detract plenty.

The sad reality is I suggest they play half as many shows and charge twice as much if that's what it takes to keep the music sacred.

I apologize for this post being a jumbled mess... but what I said is very real.. and I don't apologize for any of that.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 09-20-2006 at 11:30 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #127
Level 1 - Lurker

Having the screens behind the band was interesting at first. It wasn't
so great if you actually wanted to see what was on them. The lasers and
smoke were okay, but they seemed way too pedestrian for Tool. I mean,
these guys had giant, spinning blastospheres the last time I saw them.
How do you go from that to lasers? Frankly, the 2002 Lateralus tour's
overall presentation was much better. There was something different
about that entire show, and I haven't been able to put my finger on it.
I remember walking out of the United Center in a daze, feeling like I'd
just had my ass kicked by Shaolin monks or something. I thought about
it for weeks afterward. This time, it was just a concert. A superb
concert, but just a concert. I don't like to admit it, but I was
disappointed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #128
Level 1 - Lurker

My friends and I drove from Columbus Ohio to see this show. I was so glad Maynard did not cancel. We had general admission tickets and were front row, My girlfriend held on to the rail in front of me. Aside from the rent-a-cop security jumping into the crowd every few minutes to deal with people taking pictures with phones, the concert rocked. I was so glad i got to hear 46&2. It was our first Tool show and we enjoyed it immensely. What was the deal with all of them sitting down in the middle of the show? Probably the best show i have ever been to. I am going to try to snag tickets to the Columbus show tonight. I wish they would have let me keep my ticket stub instead of this gay yellow "Allstate" wristband.

Tool - Rocks
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #129
Level 7 - Loquacious

and to you people who keep bitching about the christmas lights:

you DID REALIZE that there are patterns/visuals going on in them, right? it's like a continuation of the screen/wall below. but you were probably too busy getting your internet "bitch" post ready in your head to notice it.

did anyone else notice that younger red haired fucking idiot storming out of section 114-115 at the end with his dad...fucking WHINING to the top of his lungs "NO third eye!? no pushit!?!" HA fucking HA. again, this should be a running theme by now: STOP GOING TO THEIR FUCKING SHOWS THEN.

they pissed you off? you feel cheated? great. stay home next time.

ah...but you WON'T. you'll be right here...bitching about the NEW setlist b/c they're not playing stinkfist or some shit. and you'll be at the show....AGAIN. and you'll bitch....AGAIN. until one day....maybe you learn to just appreciate the effort and thought and time the band puts into this stuff.

it's called EVOLVING.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #130
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
maybe you learn to just appreciate the effort and thought and time the band puts into this stuff.

it's called EVOLVING.

I appreciate Tool more than you know or could understand.

The lasers are an example of "thought and time" they've put in? okay.

The music on the cds is "evolving."

Their concept about touring is de-volving - and revolving, around money.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #131
swept underneath my skin

Bincount™: 1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations View Post
With this I have to disagree.

10k Days has the least amount of songs (not tracks) since Opiate, and the level of work that went into them is minimal compared to the twisted sounds of Aenima and superb orchestration of Lateralus.

This is of course a personal opinion, but 10k Days is by far the worst album yet. Thats not to say that its bad, its just not as good as the rest.

No matter what anybody says, to say how good a concert is you have to compare them to their previous shows -- and this one was very short. We shuld have demanded an encore.....damnit....

Last edited by LabRat404; 09-21-2006 at 09:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #132
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and even though I wish I was a bit closer, I think it was an experience in and of itself. My husband and I were in section 101a. He'd been to the Dallas show in May and said this big arena show had a completely different feel.
The visuals were engulfing, especially for someone who had never seen them live. When Lateralus began and the stage became a whirlwind of visual stimulation, it was almost overwhelming. The spirals and lights and silhouettes of the band... wow.
Comparing what my husband said about the small venue Dallas show to this one, he said he noticed that the band members seemed to be trying hard, but they looked tired. Playing high energy music for audiences with outrageously high expectations is enough to wear on anyone.
I think their art has evolved and their shows, from what Ive heard and read, have evolved right along with them. I hope they continue to evolve - as long as they keep creating, there will be those to witness their creation.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #133
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat404 View Post
If maynard was trying to make a point when repeating "Fuck you junkies" then..well, that just doesn't make any sense. Tool's probably done more drugs than the entire arena combined......

seriously....
i'm pretty sure it's just a joke. i mean, it really fits his sense of humor, knowing that ALOT of people are twisted out of their gourde there, to then do that, the joke being that because of the "short memory" you can't even remember he just did the fucking line twice. i kept laughing so hard every time he started AGAIN with "fuck retro anything...."

to me it seemed to be a very obvious joke, in a fun manner. not condemning or judging people or anything.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #134
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I appreciate Tool more than you know or could understand.

The lasers are an example of "thought and time" they've put in? okay.

Their concept about touring is de-volving - and revolving, around money.
well, tomatoe/tomato i guess.

i'm just thankful i think my way, not yours. guess that means i have lots more enjoyment instore.

so, you gonna be going to the next show on the next tour? ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #135
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-51 View Post
My friends and I drove from Columbus Ohio to see this show. I was so glad Maynard did not cancel. We had general admission tickets and were front row, My girlfriend held on to the rail in front of me. Aside from the rent-a-cop security jumping into the crowd every few minutes to deal with people taking pictures with phones, the concert rocked. I was so glad i got to hear 46&2. It was our first Tool show and we enjoyed it immensely. What was the deal with all of them sitting down in the middle of the show? Probably the best show i have ever been to. I am going to try to snag tickets to the Columbus show tonight. I wish they would have let me keep my ticket stub instead of this gay yellow "Allstate" wristband.

Tool - Rocks
i also wish i had my ticket stub, you know, just because i'm all sentimental like that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #136
Level 1 - Lurker

You can get your ticketstub back from allstate as you exit. Show the guys at the door your wristband and they will give you your ticket back (FYI for next time)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #137
Level 1 - Lurker

Greetings and salutations to all my brothers and sisters in Tooleville. This is my first post, so we will see where it goes. (it took me waaaaaay to long to get here...)

Okay, so this was my 3rd show (1st and 2nd were on the Lateralus tour, at the Allstate Arena with Meshuggah, and the United Center with Tomahawk). Isis was a great opener, even though they only got to play like, what, 3 freakin songs? Thier suprise set the following night at the Beat Kitchen was even better, and the $12.00 dollar shirts at the BK blew away the $38 fucking dollar Allstate ones...I mean COME ON, 70 BONES FOR A HOODIE??? I got to meet Justin at Tuesdays Isis show, and although he was a little sauced, he was still very cool and cordial. And thanks to Maynard for giving it his all on Monday, so I could have my experience on Tuesday.

Although the sound pretty much sucks at the ROSEMONT, Tool's performance on Monday was tight, with a few exceptions, but you have to expect that at a live show. Danny, Justin and Adam were an amazing force in each of thier vehicles, and as well as a cohesive whole, and the intros, variations, and extended parts were all very nice. As far as Maynard...sick in Chicago? Well, thats a new one, LOL! Yet, overall his vocals were suprisingly good (much better than the United Center show).

I was in section 113 row F, which is basically on the opposite side of the arena from the stage, so I could see everything, except for thier miniature figures onstage. I wasn't too impressed with the screen images, especially after seeing the Lateralus tour, with the awsome 3 screen animations as well as the Osseus Labrinth (sp?) preformers. And although the lasers were "cool", they were also pretty damn CHEEZYMAC! Seriously, Pink Floyd, Yes, B.O.C. and all those bands started that shit 30 years ago...let's EVOLVE shall we? MMMKAY...

Setlist was typical...can we get older material other than the hit songs, PLEASE??? Lost Keys & Rosetta were a really nice touch, & Wings 1&2 were phenomenal (with the exception of my drunk ass girlfriend , who decided to get high on top of it, and then proceed to grind her ass on me like a stripper...and although normally I wouldn't mind, it just wasn't appropriate during those songs - she's NOT much of a toolphile). Oh btw, thanks to the blond girl behind me who was nice enough to give me a hit off her pipe, after making sure to ask if I was a cop...really...yeah, so whoever you are, my bad for not getting your name. yeah, that hit really hepled me get in the zone to pick up all the little nuances...

oh yeah, people, I will say this one time...holding up your lighters is and always has been reaaaaly lame. I mean not as lame as holding up cell phones, but still...

anybody know what new design was on Danny's new kick heads, or has a picture of them? I was waaaay to far away to make it out.

"fuck all you junkies, and fuck your short memories...fuck all you junkies, and fuck your short memories...fuck all you junkies, and fuck your short memories..." nice, HAHAHA!

the pizza comment was gay...no more philosophical banter anymore Maynard??? is that all we are in Chicago? I mean, granted, our pizza is the shit, but cum on!

okay...well, enough of my compliments and complaints for now...if I can recall anything else, i'll get back...although most of the rest of the show is in my alterd conciousness haze =D...PEACE DA' FUCKKK OUT, FO' SHIZZLE! LOL!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:30 AM   #138
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymeria View Post
My first tool concert!!! I was completely blown away. We had decent seats (section 111 Row L) and from where I was sitting the acoustics didn't sound that bad for the most part.

Highlights- 10,000 days, Schism, Aenima, Forty Six & 2, Vicarious and Lateralus. Lateralus has actually never been one of my favourite songs but it was just so amazing live. They really do a lot with it. I was also really glad that they did 10,000 days. A friend of mine saw them in Seattle a few weeks ago and they hadn't done it then. When they started Wings I was hardly listening because I was so anxious to see if they'd do 10,000 days! Vicarious.. I'm surprised that not many, or maybe no one has really listed that as one of the highlights. I realize that it's played a lot on the radio and what not but I still think it's one of the best songs on the 10,000 days album and since some of the people last night really only seemed to know that song... It had a lot of energy from the crowd which was kind of nice.

Does Maynard always dress like that for concerts? He looked awesome.

Also, I've never really been an Isis fan but I thought they kicked some major ass last night.

Bad stuff- All the fucking smoke... Oh. My. (Insert higher power here). I had just won a debate about how the government shouldn't regulate smoking in public buildings and I was questioning my reasoning last night. My throat was burning after the concert from all the smoke.. Ugh. Parking. I cannot believe how they were parking cars. And then the police directing traffic to the highway? I mean... you'd think that Rosemont would teach its police how to direct traffic. Anyways, those are more about the venue than the show itself.

I've no complaints about the show. Tool kicked some major ass and I cannot wait until they come back to Chicago (or anywhere within a few hours of Chicago).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I concur about your statement with the idiotic cops "directing" traffic...we were parked in the Target lot just on the other side of the Allstate lot, and when we were coming out, the dickhead pig made us wait until ALL the friggin cars that got suckered out of 15 bones in the paid lot, were gone...15 fucking minutes we were waiting...if I wansnt so drunk and high, I would have went around him...
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 AM   #139
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00k View Post
So let me ask you Ulog. Have you ever been sick? If you are old enough, have you ever called in sick for work? And if you've gone into work sick, how have you performed? Lets say you sit in front of a computer all day. And lets say, some one rubbed P12 sand paper on your ass all night. Would you want to go to work? Now lets say you have 15,000 people a day showing up to watch you work. BUT if you stood up and had to wipe the puss off your ass, thousands of people would curse your name and all you stood for. Could your sandpaper ass stay seated?

Seriously. They aren't cancelling because they want to.
That is hands down the funiest analogy I've heard yet on the subject, heh, sandpaper ass. I hate to use this damn interweb lingo shit but I think that that remark deserves both a LOL and a ROFL. Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
You can get your ticketstub back from allstate as you exit. Show the guys at the door your wristband and they will give you your ticket back (FYI for next time)
By the time we finished at the merch booth there was noone at the door or by the door handing ticket stubs back. While waiting for the merch I did hear a guy talking about it, but I decided that I really wanted the $60 LE "turn off your television" longsleve shirt in a size M, So I waited for that instead. Worth it you say, I say yes, I love that shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSet View Post
anybody know what new design was on Danny's new kick heads, or has a picture of them? I was waaaay to far away to make it out.
Check It out, I think this is a picture from coachella(sp?), but it's the same design. and it's transparent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7852332...pool-toolshed/

Last edited by plsck; 09-22-2006 at 04:36 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #140
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
i'm pretty sure it's just a joke. i mean, it really fits his sense of humor, knowing that ALOT of people are twisted out of their gourde there, to then do that, the joke being that because of the "short memory" you can't even remember he just did the fucking line twice. i kept laughing so hard every time he started AGAIN with "fuck retro anything...."

to me it seemed to be a very obvious joke, in a fun manner. not condemning or judging people or anything.
All I know is that it fucked the song up for me. Aenima was the song I had the most fun with that night, and as I was singing along I realized that what I was saying wasn't right because maynard changed it up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSet View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I concur about your statement with the idiotic cops "directing" traffic...we were parked in the Target lot just on the other side of the Allstate lot, and when we were coming out, the dickhead pig made us wait until ALL the friggin cars that got suckered out of 15 bones in the paid lot, were gone...15 fucking minutes we were waiting...if I wansnt so drunk and high, I would have went around him...
My cousin, which was driving, also was bitching about the only traffic director we ran into. He kept telling us to go, but as we were turning right and there were a line of cars in both lanes where we were turning....we'd have been stuck in the intersection. I dunno, maybe he thought we were going straight. He does tend to forget to use the blinker.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #141
Level 2 - Poster

The show was awesome in my opinion. Standing in the center between the stage and soundboard was perfect audio and visual experience. Out of the 10 Tool shows I've seen in the last 10 years this was my second favorite behind the 96 show in st. louis. I thought Wings was a nice replacement for Reflection and is definitely worth hearing/seeing once. Jambi, 46 & 2 and Aenima were my other personal highlights. I do hope they come back in the next year and replace some of the newer tracks with more oldies like H, Pushit, Part of Me, Flood...

And those on the floor could have easily gotten their ticket stub at the end of the show at the exits of the Allstate if somewhat observant. I grabbed 4 from a guy handing them out cause my 3 friends blew right by him and I thought they'd like a souvenir to the awesome show:)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #142
Level 2 - Poster

I love Reflection, but after seeing it performed live 4 times a few years ago it got tiresome. I still hope to see footage of members from tomahawk coming in during the triad jams someday.. That was so awesome. I'm sure Wings will be the same way for me in the future and maybe these epic songs should be rotated a bit more in the soon future.

reflection, wings, third eye, pushit, no quarter....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #143
swept underneath my skin

It was a funny concert, maynard was a clown on stage.

However, I'd rather see maynard, than a clown.

I wish I would have saw them on their Aenima Tour...
Old 09-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #144
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-51 View Post

Tool - Rocks
My take on "all of them sitting down in the middle of the show"? It was about 3/4's of the way through what would ultimately be the entire show. Thus, I think that was their "leave the stage for 5 minutes while everyone cheers hysterically before we come back out for our encore." Having seen hundreds and hundreds of shows from all types of bands, I can honestly say that that appeared to be another creative first for a very creative band. Instead of going to the wings, having a smoke and a beer and god knows what else rockstars do during that time while we're all cheering, they decided to just hang out on stage and absorb all the love directly from the fans. I think they played two or three more songs after their sit-down session, which would be about right to indicate a pre-encore break, followed by two or three encores. I have never ever seen another band or artist stay on stage for the entirety of that whole pre-encore ritual. Pretty clever I thought.

Overall, I have to say my one criticism of the band over the last 8 years or so (which was also represented in the second half of this Chicago show) is that they have moved too far away from their greatest strength (well-defined, 5 to 8 minute heavy "songs" proper), towards longer, less structured, lighter, what I can only perjoratively call "noodling" space jams. This was my sixth Tool show, begining back in 95' in Asbury Park, NJ on the Boardwalk, and I have been a devoted fan all the way through. Opiate, Undertow and even Aenima contained perfect examples of everything that those four guys excel at. Lateralus and 10,000 Days have moved in a direction I am less enthused about. I completely understand why it has happened, and completely respect all four of them for keeping things interesting to themselves. The level of their musicianship necessarily mandates that they change and evolve in order for them not to get bored and to fully utilize their gifts. But as a fan, I did and do prefer their original, more agressive compositions. Which, thankfully, can still always be found, even on the last two releases. They just seem like they are getting outnumbered these days by the "lighter" offerings, and that is reflected in the set lists. My only other criticism, and it really shouldn't be described as such becuase it is a true testament to how far above and beyond these guys are as musicians than almost anyone else out there today, is that some of their newest rhythms, song-structures and time signatures are so bizarre and so complex that they make it almost impossible to consistently bop/bang your head, snap your fingers or otherwise get physically into the songs live. There must have been at least 10 times in the second half of this show that I had to outright quit even trying to tap my foot to the rhythm becuase my brain was just hopelessly over-matched.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #145
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imonlysleeping View Post
also during anema i swear he said "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory" at least 3 times :)
Right on. Maybe more. Thought it was the most ironic moment in music history on the first repeat. Could he really "forget" that line? But as it continued, it became classic Maynard satire.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #146
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was amazing! I had never seen tool before and they were fucking fantastic! Every minute was awesome! Weird that nothing from undertow was played but I did get to hear my 2 favortie songs 46&2 & Aenema! It was by far the best concert I have ever been to. Maynard is god!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #147
Banned.

Bincount™: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeset View Post
Overall, I have to say my one criticism of the band over the last 8 years or so (which was also represented in the second half of this Chicago show) is that they have moved too far away from their greatest strength (well-defined, 5 to 8 minute heavy "songs" proper), towards longer, less structured, lighter, what I can only perjoratively call "noodling" space jams.
i like their space jams and i really like the keyboards. i hope that is the path of their current evolution.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #148
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

This was my 8th Tool show and it just didn't feel right. Adam Jones and his visuals are such a HUGE part of the Tool experience, and unless you were in the nosebleed section you really couldn't see any of it. The lasers were okay, but maybe I am making the mistake of comparing this to past shows that I thought were much better...Is it just me or does anybody else miss the good old rev mjk days?

...but I would pay to see them again, so who am I to say anything:)

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....

Last edited by Rhapsody; 09-22-2006 at 07:46 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #149
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeset View Post
My only other criticism, and it really shouldn't be described as such becuase it is a true testament to how far above and beyond these guys are as musicians than almost anyone else out there today, is that some of their newest rhythms, song-structures and time signatures are so bizarre and so complex that they make it almost impossible to consistently bop/bang your head, snap your fingers or otherwise get physically into the songs live. There must have been at least 10 times in the second half of this show that I had to outright quit even trying to tap my foot to the rhythm becuase my brain was just hopelessly over-matched.
As you said, I wouldn't really describe this as a criticism but I noticed this as well. I'd also agree that such is a testiment to their talent as musicians. I mean, I've never played an instrument (outside the piano and violin when I was younger) but I'm well aware of how difficult it would be to change the rhythm and the beat that fucking often. It speaks volumes of all of them and it was really never something I noticed until I was at the concert.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 11:21 PM   #150
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
The vocals were hard to determine.. no doubt.... and there was some primal yelling on a cpl instances.. but it didn't bother me at all... for me, the vocals were totally irrelevant.

The music itself is where it's at w them.

and for those who complain about his "singing"... it's 90% music and maybe 10% singing from what I remember.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EXACTLY...if those that slam ISIS would actually take the time out to download some of thier tunes and get the lyrics, they would see how good ISIS really is. first off, THEY OPENED FOR TOOL! second, they're named after A GODDESS! and as far as the music goes, well structurally its amazing, and as far as the singing goes, yeah thier older stuff is pretty screamy, but the way he sings is totally unique, and the lyrics, well, heres the lyrics for "From Sinking" from the Oceanic album (one of thier best).........

His time there so long
His fingers trace the endless walls he knew so well
And there the breaths were short and hard and thick with salt
And in this place he always knew he'd awake alone
Hands clutch in panic
In this place we built of sand homes that caved
The walls were weak with salty tears
Through the cracks in these walls he saw the sun

The sun dripped through the cracks and died
Shadows managed to betray

Like liquid was the sadness
Until into the light he stepped

In this truth he knew himself to be
From sinking sands he stepped into lights embrace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~DIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:30 AM   #151
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by imonlysleeping View Post
also, anyone who paid for parking i LOL at u. theres tons of free parking everywhere. including all the surrounding neighborhoods.
what about the huge mall next door, with chili's, i-hop, target...... if you paid for parking, you deserve to be stuck for an hour trying to leave, fuck all that, "think for yourself, question authority."

"think for yourself, question authority"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #152
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my Third Tool concert and for me was an amazing experience. I saw them on their Lateralus tour which was my first big show. I was blown away then and this show was right up there. I saw them at the Congress last spring and this was way better, a lot of which had to do with the fact I had floor tickets. I took my girlfriend, who I actually met because she had a Tool hoodie on, and my buddy to the show. It was her first time seeing The Band though. She absolutely loved it. Maybe some people think the lasers were a bit hokie, but I was diggin em. The fact is when you've got a good buzz goin, lasers look cool man. I did miss the art backdrops though. The banners they dropped in 2002 at the Quad were unreal. The so-called "lite brite" backdrop didn't really do it for me either. I was expecting an Alex Grey art-work but maybe they couldn't get one made, I don't know. Oh, and thanks to the hippie dude who passed that splith, you’ve got to have the pot when you hear the Pot. In terms of ISIS well, either Tool likes having crappy bands open for them to make them look better or they're just trying to give these guys a break. They just had no vocal presence, which I'm sorry, you need at a rock show. All in all prob one of my best concert experiences, I could critique the show more but its been done. I would really like to hear Pushit live one of these days though that song is one of my favs. -peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #153
Level 1 - Lurker

This post pretains to the Rosemont Illinois show on 9/18, just couldnt get a post in before the thread closed.

I just want to post, fuck all of you shit talking bitches. I could listen to TOOL threw a drain pipe in the bathroom and be satisfied. I feel that I'm extremely lucky for being able to see TOOL as many times as I have. Some people who really want to see TOOL and are bigger fans then some of you will ever be, dont get to go (my friends). My brother and I have been listening to TOOL since day 1 and I didn't have any money for a concert let alone a trip to Chicago. So whats my bro do, buys me a ticket. We moshed smoked and drank our heads off all thanks to our spirt of having a great fucking time and our absolute love for TOOL and rock concerts alike. I swear I was the only one standing for ISIS (fucking rocked). Somone posted earlier that the crowd wasn't very excited, I agree however I believe this is because the wide variety of TOOL fans that exsist and attend the shows, Some people just rock out differntly than others. EX: Like at smaller punk shows the crowd seems to be generally the same age and everyone is a ready to let their youth go wild wich is great. So with the diversity in the crowd at TOOL shows cause they have such a diverse fan base you get mixed rock outs. All us TOOL fans who wanna mosh and rush the stage need to consolidate our forces and we can do whatever we want. And that last line I qouted to some new found show homies we were chillin with. And too all you people who didn't like the smoke fuck you because thats the arena's fault for not having better ventilation. As for songs from the past such albums undertow and opiate, I can agree that their are some songs I want to hear live, you gotta realize that that shit has been done and the band has new things to do. As for the light shows and back drop fucking awesome i think if I had taking the hallucenigens that was planing on taking I would have tweeked and rushed the stage in search of OZ it was so fucking awesome. All the could think was zelda when the laser were reflecting around. You'll hear more from me later. Sorry it took me awhile to post homies.

P.S TOOL has never made a bad song (except the cut with Tori Amos and Maynard didn't really get into that) but every song that TOOL has is a favorite of mine.

Not only is TOOL my favorite band ever, the are the best band of my generation for sure. I vote more grammies.

Fuck Yea TOOL I hope you can tour more.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: