opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

THAT WAS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! Sound was amazing, lighting was amazing, crazy guy got up on the roof, great vibe, everyone happy! ANTITHESIS OF BIG DAY OUT!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

The dude on the top of the music bowl during 10000 Days. Rock.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Wings
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

good fun. great show. seats were AWESOME.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

and we all come home 20 minutes after the show to post on here :P lol!! they better be true to their word and come back in december!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

What A Fucking Show!!!! Arguably my best Tool experience.

Setlist:

Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta
Wings/10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

As I said, great performance, one of the Best I have seen of my 7. Definitely rivals Hawaii last year, and Brixton Academy in 02 for me. Our seats were outstanding - Row F, so only 6 rows from the barrier. I dont mean to sound like an arsehole, but I kind of felt sorry for some of those people up on the hill. In saying that, they probably had the best view of the lasers. The Myer Music Bowl is a great venue, although the organisers should re-think their strategy of only opening 2 gates to let 15,000 people in from 7.30pm(?). I guess it was what I would imagine seeing them at Red Rocks in Colorado would be like.
Jambi was prob the hilight. That song just gets better every time I hear it live. My first time hearing Wings/10,000 Days aswell, so very special.
Thats all for now, will prob post more later. Was definitely worth the trip over from New Zealand. Tonight I witnessed the beauty, and bathed in the fountain.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

fuck it was great. danny is a lord, and maynard being uber animated before the fuckwit came out was superb, sounds like you needed seats for a greater time.. cant wait for ndecember.

the fuckwit on the roof totally made me lose my buzz for the end of 10k days, what a dickhead.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

yeah that was a fucken tight show.

Highlight for me was Wings/10,000 Days, lateralus and aenima

Set list as posted.

I felt the set list was one song short, as they played nothing off undertow

:(
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Last edited by Hawthorn Tool; 01-31-2007 at 04:58 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 AM   #10
art
Level 4 - Thinker

Setlist was something like

stink
forty
jambi
schism
lost
rosetta
wings
vicarious
lateralus
enema

3rd tool show. didnt have a ticket. tried climbing a tree but couldnt see stuff all. jumped the fence. got chased by secirity and managed to scramble free. blasted all the way thru the crowd right to the front. every1 was royally pissed at me for shoving. but i explained apologized and relocated up the back somewhere. that guy who climbed the canopy was insane. should be some cool photos of him out there with the moon in the background. bet he cops a huge fine. but yeah fuck he'll never forget that moment. right up there for 10000 days. pretty damn cool. but pretty danerous too ay. as far as the show was concerned it was pretty flawless. i was in there from a bit before wings. the light show was pretty cool but it felt a little 'eye candy' to me i guess. tool are so hard to fault its like they really are a package or candy bar you pay for its kinda the same evry time. really feels like a weird travelling circus with all the tool shirts around and shit. but to be honest next tool show i am definately taking acid. heaps of it. i realized that was what was missing from the show. my own trip. tool are definately trippy enough without any sort of psychedelic but i kinda realized it would be about 100 times more powerful to have that shit getting you on acid. also i realized the internet spoils everything. all the youtube videos and photos of all the album art and concerts that spin around on the web really ruin the experience. it was like i'd seen it before. no surprises. i guess ive learnt my lesson.

i + t = <
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the worst tool show I have ever seen! Lazers?? Was I watching a bad Spinal Tap concert or Tool? Seems like a departure from what I otherwise considered artistic credability. They have really cheapened their show using these props. 10,000 days is a bad album, (i have liked all albums up until this point) and having to stand and listen to lost key-rosetta stoned followed by wing - 10,000 days was tourture - i dont care what anyone says these songs are terrible, and the mood of the concert was less electric with them there. Thank god the dickhead who climed the roof provided some entertainment while these songs were playing. 46&2, Stinkfist, Aenema, and Lateralus were ok but sound quality was poor, everything was a little flat!! Have seen them do much much much better than this.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

That was the greatest concert I have ever seen. Maybe, after letting the experience sink in, I'll be able to express myself a little more eloquently, but for now...that rocked.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Nothing really tops getting to see one of your favourite bands twice in one week (along with your favourite song too). Overall it was a great show, the sound quality was surprisingly good given the venue. My only gripe is that the general admission area was bad for anyone who isn't 7'11 but you can't win it all.

The guy who climbed up during 10,000 days was a moron who was either going to:

1) Fuck around and ruin a pretty powerful song at the height of the set by being an attention whore.
2) Same as above but they stop the set until he comes down.
3) He falls, dies and they stop the whole concert.

Thankfully it's likely the security guards who nabbed him gave him a few 'pats on the back' and threw him in the divvy van. Bloody moron.

Rant is now over.

\ .. / TOOL
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:06 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Well, I felt like I missed out being on the hill, even though I was about 4 rows from the front. I personally wasn't feeling the proper vibe, I mean I was so envious because there were pretty weak cheers coming from our end and up front everyone would scream for twice as long.

Some of the people around me pissed me off too, ie. one guy just kept yammering away, even during Wings (!!!!), kept saying the song was boring and how annoyed he was that Tool wasn't playing other songs etc. And other things along that line was what annoyed me most, the people around me weren't getting into the 10000 Days songs at all (except for Vicarious at the end), just made me want to tell them all that if they didn't bother to know the album very well then why the hell were they there.

I was particularly looking forward to Jambi, and someone up above said he loved it... but I just wasn't feeling it, there was no noise no nothing. It was death quiet, noone even cheered when they came to sit down for a break preparing for Wings. And maybe this is a bit immature, but I thought maybe at least if I was in general admission maybe a bit of moshing could add to the atmosphere, but we were way too far back for that.

Argh... anyway, now that I got all that out, I can't fault the band, they played absolutely unbelievable, and the last 45 minutes or whatever starting with Wings was probably the best I've ever seen in a concert thus far. The lasers were awesome. The visuals were also great, more high definition than I had expected, Rosetta was straight-up unreal. Lots of pretty cool seguing tracks all added up to make it feel real natural, and for the majority of the gig when I wasn't distracted it was just a great feeling being able to be so connected to the music, that's how awesome the amphitheater was.

So yeah, only complaint I had was I felt embarrassed about the crowd, (and the guy up top? What a douchebag!), Maynard didn't even need to say Sydney was louder, to me it was just immediately apparently this Melbourne crowd at least was pretty lame.

EDIT: I forgot to say anything about Lateralus. BEST. LIVE. SONG. EVER. It's like they've played it so many times live now, it just embodies perfection now. So good.

Oh yeah, Art, you pushed your way through me you sonofabitch :-) You were like two rows in front of me.

Last edited by Deviouz; 01-31-2007 at 05:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

ARGH! shittest venue EVER!!!!
i am 6'1 cant see anything 3 rows back, no mosh, no atmospere, and i can hear the emo pricks singing louder than i can here maynard!

if they do come back in december, i'd rather buy tickets off a scalper and fly to sydney than put up with that shit again....

they guy who climbed the roof probably got bored.

the show itself (what i saw) was awesome....
but it would have been more enjoyable to watch it on channel V.
at least then i could see, and not having a crowd around me wouldnt mean a thing coz its not like the crowd did anything anyway.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:31 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Only the most overused cliche is applicable:

Holy.

Fucking.

Shit.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. The fifth time I've seen Tool, and this was probably the best. The first time I saw them (at Festering Hole, er, Festival Hall, on the Aenima tour back in 1997) will probably be a sentimental favorite, but this was seriously out of control. InfiniteReality said it best, this was everything that the Big Day Out was not. I'm so glad the Big Day Out was first. If I went to the BDO now it would be such a let down. Save the best for last. This was so much better.

The sound, oh my god, the sound. So hugely, ferociously, massive. And yet SO perfectly clear. How great is the Myer Music Bowl. I've seen the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra there before and you can hear every nuace of every instrument. When I heard Tool were playing there I was rapt. The venue was so spot on. When Tool came out to the roaring crowd and Adam cranked the feedback on his guitar for ages you could tell it was going to be huge. But when they slammed into the opening chords of Stinkfist, it was so much bigger than you thought it would be. Adam's guitar was savage and beautiful, Justin's Bass plumbed new depths of the sonic deep end, Danny's snare crackled and snapped clearly and the rest of his kit sounded like an avalanche as he pounded the everfucking christ out of it. And that gong hit at the end of Lateralus.... Aaaahhh fuck yeah.

Going from Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned into Wings For Marie/10,000 Days was truly a thing to behold. I was starting to feel somewhat overwhelmed. How the fuck do they do it, seriously.

The crowd was SO much better than the Big Day Out dickheads on Sunday. And the security were being really tight with idiots who tried to crowdsurf or get up on other people's shoulders. Thank dear sweet Jeebus for that. I didn't have seats, but didn't mind at all. Seats would have been awesome, but where I was was just great. About half way up the hill on the grass, I could see the whole band clearly right throughout the show, and as stated above, the sound was immaculate. The lighting show and lasers, etc, was super impressive and created a very trippy, imaginative atmosphere which accompanied the music well. The screens behind the band had the usual insane schitzophrenic mindfuck going on. How awesome is that double-time section in the middle of Schism. I really hope they record that shit, it improves the song immensely.

Danny Carey's drum break on Forty Six and 2 gets more and more insane every time I hear it. Adam's guitar sounds like no other guitar I've ever heard before. How can one man with six strings and an amplifier sound so different to other men and women with six strings and amplifiers? His genius is his deceptive simplicity, I'm convinced. Justin was rocking out harder than I've ever seen him before. He was genuinely loving what they were doing, and so he should. And Maynard, je-sus. I've seen the Nard quite a few times over the years with APC and Tool, he just keeps getting weirder. I had to laugh during the guitar and talk-box solo break in Jambi with Maynard waving his hat around his head like he's trying to stay on a bull at a rodeo. Such madness, but somehow it fits.

There was one guy who got all the way up on top of the roof/sail thing that goes over the stage. I imagine the cops standing there arguing about who was going to go up and get him down. He probably got the shit beaten out of him when he got down. Oh well, better than falling all that way down, I guess. But admit it, you felt the bloodlust and were hoping, just a little, that he would have come tumbling down. You all feel the same, don't lie.

They said they'd be back in December. They had bloody well better. They played so well and played so many great songs, but they could have played SO many more. Opiate, Sober, Prison Sex, Flood, Eulogy, Pushit, Third Eye, The Grudge, The Patient, Parabola, Disposition/Reflection, The Pot, Right in Two, when you think about it, they could have played for another couple of hours and still had room for encores. I guess that's what happens with bands who stick around for so long, their catalogue becomes harder to cover.

I wonder what Tool think of their Australian fans when at the end of both of the Melbourne shows, when the band was throwing drum sticks/water bottles etc out to the crowd and waving, hugging etc, when the crowd starts chanting in loud deep voices "DAAAAA-NEEEEEEEEE, DAAAAAAAA-NEEEEEEEEE, DAAAAAAAAA-NEEEEEEEEE" (think DAAA-RYL from the Simpsons).

They either think that we're all awesome or that we're all dickheads. I don't really care either way, just as long as they remember us and come back.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:45 AM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

testing this pic. it was taken by my partner from the middle of row x. should have taken the phone to the front :-)

http://stashbox.org/11236/31012007243.jpg

http://stashbox.org/11237/31012007237.jpg
http://stashbox.org/11238/31012007238.jpg
http://stashbox.org/11239/31012007239.jpg

some more for your enjoyment. man my neck hurts
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

yeah, the seats were really, really good. i was in the second row after the gap, and the view was great. would have been better if everyone was sitting down, but, oh well. if you don't get seats there, the lawn outside would be the next best option...
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

Firstly, I agree that the fella on the roof put a dampner on the mood of Wings. I missed the better part of the song wondering if the guy would fall down. I had to laugh at the potential irony of him falling during wings...

Secondly, the extended section of Schism - fuck yes. They definitely need to record this. It made the song seriously awesome. I'd heard it on a bootleg before the show, but it was mad live.

I would have preferred a seat, because the view I got, being about 5-6 people back wasn't the best. I couldn't relax as much as I would have if I had a seat, and in that regard I preferred Rod Laver in '02 as a venue. If I went again, I'd definitely be looking for a seated ticket. The crowd though was pretty good. I didn't go to the big day out, but from the sounds of it, it was heaps worse there. I'm tall though, so I got a good view.

The other people singing didn't bother me too much, mostly because I was singing too. Yeah, shoot me. I couldn't really hear Maynard very well most of the time, and a few other people I spoke to in GA thought he was pretty quiet too. Not sure how he sounded up the front. I heard that he'd been avoiding the pot, and that a show in texas was cancelled a few weeks back due to maynard being sick, so it's not surprising that he didn't nail a few of the higher and longer notes in most songs. Bit of a bummer though. I hope it's a passing thing.

The show was fucking brilliant though. I was surprised, but Vicarious was a definite highlight for me. It's probably one of my more favoured tracks off 10,000 Days, but it came off really well live. Other than that, everything else was cool. I did notice that people were a lot more subdued during Rosetta Stoned and 10,000 Days, which was cool because I could actually hear things more clearly.

I would have liked a bit more variety in the set, and I was hoping they'd mix it up more after seeing Sydney's setlist. 46+2 was good for the first time, as were all the 10,000 days tracks. Jambi kicked a lot of arse. Anything more obscure off Ænima, and anything at all off Undertow would have tickled my fancy. I would have traded the support for an extra song any day, so maybe Sydney got a better deal (as they got swamp song).

Anyway, that's the end of my long-winded review. Good times, can't wait for December.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Overall great show. Then again I only just got in. My brother and I managed to befriend somebody a while back who worked for the catering company that does Sydney Myer. Got us in using some names that were on the list, but that had pulled out of the shift some weeks back. So my brother and I were let in through the back, bypassed all the queues, checked out some of the backstage area and never got checked for id showing we weren't who we said we were. Infact we never picked up the credentials we were told we had to have so as to be let through to the main grassy area. Also it was free! Bad day for the security industry, great day for me. So maybe we just enjoyed it so much because we were never meant to have been there. I thought 46 & 2 was particularly tight and the best song for the night, the lasers looked great from the hill area, the guitar sound was the best I've ever heard at a Tool concert, and the last three numbers were outstanding (plus yes that sped up part of Schism is amazing - the sped up visuals too). Did notice though that Maynard seemingly coasted through Stinkfist, like he was holding himself back, or maybe his mike was just turned down low at the beginning.

Truthfully i loved the venue for Tool - just for the unique atmosphere. It was cool while watching them play Rosetta Stoned being able to look up at the stars above at the same time or the city in the background. And the way the lasers dissapeared into the sky above - very nice. That said however, come November or December I'll be hoping to take it back to the more traditional setting of Rod Laver. Also there seemed to be a lot of room to move - they could have fit a lot more people in there tonight. I had chunks of space in front of me most of the night.

Hmm there was a guy in a white tshirt that bolted past us at one point causing a commotion - was that you Art? Good stuff on getting in anyway

So overall yes I found it better than 2002, but not nearly as great as 2001. All different flavoured shows though

Last edited by A.S.H; 01-31-2007 at 06:56 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

seriously, I would have no hesitation letting Danny have his way with me after that performance. Fuck... just Fucking hell. That's all I can say. Not too shabby for a bunch of old men.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

c'mon people. tool...
'nuff said...?
the show was awesome. 5th time i've seen them. the shows get better, the venue was tops, sound was awesome. i was on the hill, stand at 5'11" and saw enough, but heard heaps. i reckon where we were was perfect for sound. we had good crew around us and everyone got into it. some a little too much, some not enough, but fuck, each to their own. sidney myer music bowl has been designed for perfect acoustics, and it was proven tonight. seen mso there and was impressed, but even more with a band i worship and tunes i love.
people will whinge, but hey, they're idiots...
it was tool. 91, 2002, blah blah blah - every show has been different, but equally as awesome...
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:15 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

First time seeing them.....Holy shit it was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I was completly in awe of Wings and 10000 days. I
Just had to ignore that fuck head on the roof. Lateralus, Vicarious and Ænema were also a fantastic close to night.

I was about fairly close to the front and directly in line with the hanging speaker on the left. I found the crowd to be awesome. Very contained, not pushing etc. People were quiet enough during the songs so I could hear Maynard, yet at the same time were really getting into the songs. (Especially Ænema).

Anyway overall, absolutely amazing. Cant wait till there back.

Last edited by Bertram; 01-31-2007 at 05:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 AM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Hahah the penut on the roof made me fucking laugh. What a fucking moron.

What a show, fucking-fan-tastic. Far better than thier Big Day Out set.

Absolutely amazing...
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:18 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

The GA section was terrible. I was stuck in the queue for food when they came on. The opening act didnt seem to fit in with the tool vibe at all. Highlight was the rows of men pissing against the wall to avoid the toilet queue. I missed out on a gold ticket by about 1 minute and this experience really made me feel crap about that. Also no alcohol was served. In hiensight 1. Get Gold ticket 2. Get there early 3. Dont go with a friend who is not a big tool fan. 4. BYO food 5. Personaly i need to be drunk/stoned to forget about my surrondings and lose my inhibitions so that i can truely enjoy an experiance like this.

Edit: It was just dandy.

Last edited by WatchDog; 01-31-2007 at 07:25 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Here's my pics from tonight. These are the best of the bunch, so you can imagine how shit the others were. My camera doesn't like not using the flash in low light.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...fb1073e9e0.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...08a490ef67.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...279db80063.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...0cdf78b23c.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...cd91890b67.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...a46a7fcb3a.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...00676a99b3.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...cf3b93e75e.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...36c7840376.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...7af2d524e8.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...86323e0369.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...8259b5195b.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...f0ccf1a372.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...88f9bcb0f2.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...76e1f81498.jpg

I had a fucking fantastic night. You can't not have a good time when ya that close to Tool. The seated crowd seemed quiet. Way more noise was coming from the back. I was wondering why everyone was cheering really out of place during Wings. We under the roof had no idea of what had happened. The sound was brilliant where I was, and Tool were flawless. I didn't notice one stuff up except Adam was a little out of time at one part of Schism. Anyways pretty much the same to say as all the other positive people. Wayyyyy Wayyyyy better than the BDO show. :)
Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

well....
first time I've seen Tool, and I gotta say I enjoyed it afukofalot.
Yes, yes the lines were shocking, that venue is not really built for that size crowd... the sound was bloody good though, compared to any other venue in Melbourne. Festival Hall is the only rival but it's so constricted for numbers....
Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah the show! I was in GA but was center 2nd row (nice eh?): brilliant view - short ppl infront of me, brilliant sound - if lacking slightly in volume at my range, and the closest to a mosh pit that was able to form.
It's a little sad that the only mosh area was so goddam far away from the stage that there was little to no moshing... Ah well, things picked up for a crucial bit of Jambi (my favourite track off 10,000 days) and for Aenima there was some real moshing happening. Seemed to me that they put the most energy into that, but maybe it was just that there was more energy in the crowd around me.
So, what was my point? hang on, I'll try to work that out...
Er, I guess that Tool themselves were a brilliant act, the light show supplemented the music beautifully, The guy on the roof (a frequent Melbourne event) was cool... though shining laser pointers in his eyes never seems to knock him off does it? I saw at least three aimed at his face.
I was a lil disapointed in the crowd energy (ie the entire lack of head-thrashing mosh pit taking up half of the hill) though having the mosh pit so far from the stage does dispirit people a little.
Good set, I think the songs led into eachother nicely. Can't wait till they come out next, hopefully at a different venue? so long as it's not Telstra Dome :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Before I Pine Away, you were in Hawaii last year? So was I! That first show there was my favourite Tool show - at least until last night!

We had lawn tickets and then I ended up with some "lawn terrace" tickets - which was the small area general admission in between the seats and the general lawn. Only a few hundred people on both sides and heaps of space. WIN. They were awesome tickets! Only problem was the ground was very steep and hard to get a comfortable footing.
I think they were the late release ones so if you're going to see RHCP or anyone at the Bowl keep an eye out for them.

I must say I was a tiny bit disappointed to not hear Swamp Song/Opiate/The Pot (this was one song shorter than Sydney, though maybe there is a noise curfew?) but the rest of the set was seriously amazing. I think that was the heaviest performance of Lateralus I've seen in a while. And Wings/10KD was beautiful. Was it just me or was the whole crowd singing along with the "fetch me the....." etc etc line? It certainly sounded like everyone was screaming along to that section culminating in GIVE ME MY WINGS.

I thought at first the crowd was a little quiet but I think they were just more appreciative. The band certainly seemed pleased at the show's end.

The guy on the roof scared me. He was pretty much right above us and all I could picture was him falling and splattering on the ground in front of us. Idiot.

oh and forensick if you're going to buy up 10 tickets sell them to fans on tool forums and not on ebay. that's scalping. Speaking of, I had extra tickets to sell before the show and I got followed around by some annoying American scalper who kept offering me $40 per ticket. I eventually got rid of them cost price to fans, but fuck he was annoying. And selling tickets before shows sucks. I felt like an idiot and most people thought I was a scalper :\
Next time I'm making the people who bail come along and sell them themselves!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

I thought having a seat all the way back to row X was going to be a bad thing. It turned out to be a godsend. I was able to see pretty much everything, except for when the guy with the huge head would get infront of me, but it was just an awesome view.

Band rocked, i couldnt hear maynard that much thou thru the night but it wasnt too big of a deal.
I'm not a huge fan of wings/10k days but seeing it live with the green lazers (pew pew) was something just out of this world.

all in all a sweet fucking show.
Would have been nice if they played right in two thou ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Aargghhh.....WTF is going on with Maynard's voice? Is he getting too old to sing his own fucking material live anymore?? This is really pissing me off. Is he genetically fucked because he's a dwarf and he gets sick at the drop of a hat (no pun intended)?? How is he going to be able to make it through an extended tour later in the year? By the time they get back to Oz the only songs he'll be able to sing are Intension and Lipan Conjuring.

I want to hear the fucking Pot! I want to hear Maynard sing properly and throw himself into it. Even worse, I now realise they will never surprise me at a show by playing Cold and Ugly.

Where's the voice, Maynard? Where's the fucking voice that is the 4th instrument of the greatest band in the world, ever?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

i agree with deuceman. danny, adam and justin were simply amazing the whole time but a few times it felt like maynard just wasn't that in to it. sometimes he just didn't go for the high note or really put his guts into the climax of a song, like the hook of rosetta stoned ("overwhelmed as one would be...").

some songs he was spot on and really singing his heart out, like 10KD or Aenema, but others his voice was either flat or only half there... it's not like hes jumping all over the stage like a rockstar - all he had to do was stand there in the darkness and sing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

Wow, awesome show. I spent the first 30min trying to get over how good my seats were. We were dead center 4 rows back, phenomenal view. Nothing impeding my vision at all. The sound was almost perfect where we were, Maynard's vocals were at times a little low, but all in all, sounded fanstastic. Really good balance between the 4 guys, sound was really defined and clear, but loud as.

Visually, I was really impressed, the screens were pretty high def, cool imagery and the lasers for 10,000 days were nice. Maynard was pretty quiet, he said hello early on, then something like "well this has just been dandy, we'll see you again in December or maybe November" towards the end, but that was all, otherwise he occupied himself doing his crazy little dances, which was cool, he seemed to enjoy Rosetta Stoned, as did I. Danny was mesmerizing, it's like he has 4 arms, the breakdown in 46+2 was phenomenal. Justin was also brilliant, the highlight for me, his playing on 10,000 days. Adam was subdued as always and just sort of holding the whole show together, the sounds he conjours never fail to amaze me and technically, I thought he was faultless, talk box in Jambi went off.

Setlist was as expected. I would love to get some more obscure tracks but thats the deal when you see longstanding bands with big catalogues i s'pose, cant complain anyway because if they left out any of the tracks they DID play, I would imagine everyone would be a little disappointed as they were all classics.

I wish we could have taken in cameras, I could have got some bullshit shots from where I was, a bit disappointing, the rent-a-cops were all over anyone pulling out phones or anything so I didn't get any snaps. But fuck it it was such a cool show. I'm still digesting a bit and really keen to hear about everyone elses experience, any more photos that anyone managed would be cool too, alrighty then.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

The show last night was simply amazing, i was totally & quite litteraly blown away! The lights were incredible, the sound was incredible and my seat was unbefuckinleavble. Not that i sat.. ha ha! Wings for Marie and 10,000 days hit some deep heartstrings (couldnt see a dude on the roof), and it was great to hear Jambi, Rossetta and Vicarious live. All those songs resinated. A highlight for me was definately Lateralus, amazing.

I saw one girl up the front with her cd goggles on.. I never thought of doing that! I now wonder if any of the animations on the rear screens did anything at all?? They most likely didnt but i'll prolly do the same around december time, i think Tool should incorporate somethin like this in the future! I can just imagine the effect on trip, and 15,000 people with their imax goggles on ha ha.

I cant wait till december, gotta start organising my camp out, get some "Number 1 mutha fuka" t-shirts together. Maybe even purchase the odd starwars costume or 3 depending who comes! And get someone to airbrush a tent for me!

If they play Telstra Dome in December, i hope they get a mixing crew like U2's.
Or better.

Last edited by lordrob; 01-31-2007 at 03:56 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 PM   #34
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15

I think this show was the perfect remedy for the chaos of the BDO. I stood about half way back on Justin’s side with a pretty awesome view for the second half of the show. Things started a bit dodgy with the vocal volume going from way up to way down on the first few songs. Maynard was obviously struggling through this bit (maybe because it was cold?) but the instrumentation sounded tight throughout.

In my opinion, it all came together on Schism which I think works excellent live (especially with the new jam) but subsequently Rosetta Stoned brought things down a bit. It just didn’t have the kick it has on the album, particularly Maynard’s vocals which sounded pretty lackluster during it (I think the problem may have been with how the megaphone thing was hooked up). The drum and bass breakdown towards the end probably saved it from major disappointment though.

However, from this point in the show things continued on the path set by Schism. Wings/10KD was AWESOME, despite attempts to ruin it by some stupid chicks having a conversation next to me and the douche that climbed up on the roof (though he provided some funny moments). The lasers were very cool and really suited the venue I thought. From then on the momentum just built and the last three were all fantastic. Lateralus was spot on as usual. I was very happy that Maynard actually sang all of Vicarious (didn’t at the BDO) and Ænema is probably one of the best closing songs they could choose.

All in all, this show shat all over the BDO (despite the lack of The Pot and Swamp Song). The crowd was a thousand times better and I reckon the Music Bowl should be the mainstay venue for the rare occasions Tool chose to visit Melbourne.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #35
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

Perfect weather for an outdoor venue too. Rain would have sucked.

Still stoked.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

I loved it. I thought it seemed a song or two short, but still brilliant. Much better than the BDO show.

Danny was just completely on fire, and that snare just cracked through so perfectly. Damn it sounded good. They've really put some time into improving their playing and reworking the songs, if only a little bit on some.

I was up in the crowd behind the seats and loved the fact that everyone pretty much stood still. Moshes just fuck up the whole experience of a show like that one. Complaining the the crowd "did nothing" is just ridiculous. Getting squashed, almost falling over and being crushed and kicked in the head by crowd surfers is hardly enjoyable. I've put up with that shit for too many years.

The doofus who got up on the roof was amusing for a while, and deserved a bit of applause, but after a while I just had to ignore him and enjoy 10,000 Days, hoping he wouldn't fall.

Was great to hear the W/10K pair and Rosetta, though the latter does seem to drag on a bit live. Right in Two would have made it amazing. A little bit over Ænema now... seen them do it too many times.

Last edited by Snutty; 01-31-2007 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: I'm a retard and don't know where full stops go.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #37
the
Level 1 - Lurker

the least best tool show i've been to. it was okay, but i've never had to watch from so far back. i was at the sydney show a week before and was front and centre on the barrier, so i guess it was all down hill from there.

also shitty that they played one less song than they did in sydney (merkaba+swamp song), which was a shame as it was the best song they did up there. dunno why there's all the complaining about maynard's voice. i thought it was spot on, and i'm glad he finally sang the ending to vicarious

if i never hear jambi again live i'll be a happy man. it's a great song, and the visuals for it are amazing, but i don't think it works live. there's just not a lot of energy to it
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

I think Jambi is great live! Personally I'm sick of Schism. It's always the song where my mind wanders.

They were very strict about cameras. A friend bought one in (OK, she shouldn't have) We were standing at the front of the lawn terrace next to the mix desk (And men's loos...lol) and she had her camera resting on the orange water barrier thing and the guy *behind* her took a photo with flash. The security guard saw the flash, saw my friends camera and assumed she'd taken the pics, so she made her hand over her battery (which she never got back)

Maynard was sounding a lot better (or the mix was better) but I do think he seems to be holding himself back vocally. There was no massive scream in Stinkfist for example.

The Music Bowl is a good venue, though I think they need to get more drinks and food vendors for shows where you can't bring any in (most things on there you can BYO everything I believe) Drinks stands on the lawn would have been a good idea at least.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #39
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Maynard = Lil John ??

It's very hard to be disappointed with last night.

Lighting (and reflections on roof) was good , in particular the red lights above adam in time with the opening riff to jambi and the big arse white one behind Adam that lit up right in the middle of the talkbox solo, just when they know everyone will be looking.

And it's always good to end the night with an hour and a half wander through the streets with a mate when you go out the wrong exit and cant be bothered finding the right one and just walk till you find somewhere you recognise.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #40
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 255

The best concert I have ever been to, without any doubt.

Had seats- Row L, right in the middle, so could see everything- in fact, at times it got too much, so I just closed my eyes...

I spent Wings/10,000 Days trying not to cry, it was just too much.

Couldn't take my eyes off Justin during Rosetta Stoned- he was just so into it, it was fucking amazing to see.

Sound/Acoustics from the seats were 10 out of 10.

Lasers, lights and visuals were great, especially the cloudy lasers, etc during Wings.

Maynard's voice sounded magic from where we were- yes ppl, he's not getting any younger, but jesus...

I'd never been to The Music Bowl before, but reckon it's hands-down, the best venue in Melb- at least, for those with seats.

I think they crowd was quiet cause we were all in awe- and after the all the Shitheads at the BDO, it was a relief to be surrounded by fans.

EDIT:

At one stage, I felt like I was off my face on something (maybe acid)- I'd only had 2 bourbons before, so what a friggin feeling!

Had 5 drinks at Y&J's after, came home and cried for about an hour.

Hubby reckons Maynard had a ball with Rosetta Stoned as well-I dunno, I was too bloody busy watching Justin!!

I thought the setlist was OK. Yes, there's songs I'd give both legs to see live, but it ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by ninwishes; 01-31-2007 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: more info...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: