Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
OGT_OGT
03-22-2004, 07:51 PM

So ya ive got a fender strat.. And its got the tuning pegs, im not sure of the name of them, that are shaped like a Y. And you put the string down the center of it, then start winding it around. I keep having this problem with my high E though, half of the time whenever i start winding it, it just doesnt tighten.. the string eventually pops off. It pisses me off cause i have to buy acouple sets of strings every time i change my strings because im never sure if its going to hold or not..

Does anyone know if maybe my tuning peg is being worn down somehow, or a way i could stop this?

other then this one high e string problem i really like this style of tuning peg, its really fast to do, and all the other strings hold well.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
guitar question.. damn tuning peg

So ya ive got a fender strat.. And its got the tuning pegs, im not sure of the name of them, that are shaped like a Y. And you put the string down the center of it, then start winding it around. I keep having this problem with my high E though, half of the time whenever i start winding it, it just doesnt tighten.. the string eventually pops off. It pisses me off cause i have to buy acouple sets of strings every time i change my strings because im never sure if its going to hold or not..

Does anyone know if maybe my tuning peg is being worn down somehow, or a way i could stop this?

other then this one high e string problem i really like this style of tuning peg, its really fast to do, and all the other strings hold well.
03-22-2004, 07:56 PM

I always have a problem putting my low E on, damn thing goes on wrong once then gets bent to rat shit. Put your finger on the string pressing it into the peg when your winding it. Or try new strings, if worst comes to worst take it to your guitar store and get new pegs.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:56 PM   #2

Bincount™: 206
Re: guitar question.. damn tuning peg

I always have a problem putting my low E on, damn thing goes on wrong once then gets bent to rat shit. Put your finger on the string pressing it into the peg when your winding it. Or try new strings, if worst comes to worst take it to your guitar store and get new pegs.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
deviatedwolf625's Avatar deviatedwolf625
03-23-2004, 03:40 PM

Alright, when you put on strings (as told by the guys at the guitar store)

Be sure you give it at least 3 rounds, preferably 4-5.

On a strat, make sure the rounds always go counterclockwise, so turning the tuning peg toward you (while your playing) will tighten the string (it's bad for the nut if you don't

Those are a couple common problems I have that causes strings to break pretty quickly.

If neither of those work, then can you describe your guitar setup in a little more detail?

Also, on Fender Strats, they have this thing called a string tree that goes on the high two strings, and then you wrap around the tuning peg. Is that what you're referring to? If so, the ones that come on them suck ass, and I'd go drop the 10$ on a much better string tree, one that doesn't have any sharp edges.

That was somewhat incoherent.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 230
Re: guitar question.. damn tuning peg

Alright, when you put on strings (as told by the guys at the guitar store)

Be sure you give it at least 3 rounds, preferably 4-5.

On a strat, make sure the rounds always go counterclockwise, so turning the tuning peg toward you (while your playing) will tighten the string (it's bad for the nut if you don't

Those are a couple common problems I have that causes strings to break pretty quickly.

If neither of those work, then can you describe your guitar setup in a little more detail?

Also, on Fender Strats, they have this thing called a string tree that goes on the high two strings, and then you wrap around the tuning peg. Is that what you're referring to? If so, the ones that come on them suck ass, and I'd go drop the 10$ on a much better string tree, one that doesn't have any sharp edges.

That was somewhat incoherent.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply