opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 07-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
how to have lateralus open up in front of you

I think that some people are still missing the point of Lateralus. Essentially, it is a tool for opening your third eye and reaching a higher consciousness. But has anyone really done so? Why else do you think Aenima ends with a cryptic and epic song of the same name? For the same reason that Undertow ends with 'flood' (nevermind the hidden track)... to show what's to come in the next album.

The only thing wrong with offering personal interpretations of the album is that it moves you further away from true understanding, which is what is most important in this case.

There are many obvious references to Kabbalah, the Tree of Life, sacred geometry, alchemy, astronomy etc. All of this and more points in the direction of New Age thought, which is a 20th century movement of spiritual exploration.

The song 'merkaba' on the Salival CD is a good example of this. For Hebrews, the merkaba is the chariot of god. For New Age thinkers, it is the divine vehicle that allows you to reach higher realms of consciousness and different dimensions. Your BODY is the vehicle, the chariot of god.... hence the lines in the song "our body is light, we are immortal / our body is love, we are eternal.... omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, without judgement." This idea is further developed in the lyrics to both parabol and parabola, where the body becomes a reminder of mortality and eternity.

To me, what is even more compelling is the way the man in the Lateralus artwork is positioned. He is performing an exercise called the Kabbalistic cross of light, which allows you to feel the power of the Tree of Life resonate through your body. He imagines a brilliant white light above him and attempts to draw it down by raising his right arm to motion the sign of benediction. For those who are not familiar with the Tree of Life, it is basically a framework that reveals how god's pure consciousness is transferred to the self-consciousness of the human individual. It also shows the numerous paths by which we can become one with the divine. (image: http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/builder...0of%20Life.jpg )

The three top ones form a triangle, which consists of understanding / wisdom (achieved by opening your third eye) and unity with the divine (top one, the crown). This is precisely what the song 'triad' is referring to. When the band plays it live, they show the Tree of Life on the monitor, hiding absolutely nothing from the listeners.. only urging them to correctly look into the true song meaning. Along with 'disposition' and 'reflection', the song is supposed to compel a change in your body and mind. It is a musical gateway to the divine, making it very fitting as the last real song of the album.

Last edited by boccaccio; 07-10-2006 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: additions
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: how to open up lateralus in front of you

If you consider the new age philosophy and the fact that on the fifth page of the Lateralus booklet, the word 'GOD' is clearly printed on the man's brain, you will come to realize that Tool is showing you that the divine is inside your head. The entire artwork is proof of this, what with all the spirals, the light transcending the man, the crown (of god) on his head and all the third eyes everywhere.

However you order the tracks, you will find your way to the same message. Move beyond yourself and leave the dark and lonely place that is ruled by self-indulgence, negativity and narcissism. Do away with all primitive and earthly things, and use your mind to ascend into a different world. With meditation, concentration, drugs, the vibrations of the music, you can reach a higher state of consciousness and realize that everything is possible and infinite... that you are connected to the universe. You just have to will it, with your mind.

Until a week ago, I was in the same place as most tool fans in terms of understanding the album. Although I understood the ideas of transcending myself and becoming a better person, I was completely oblivious to the bigger picture. It was not until I shut myself in my room one night, completely high from weed (a relatively weak drug compared to acid... which is always referenced in tool songs) that I heard Lateralus the way it was meant to be heard. With my headphones blasting extremely loud, I managed to concentrate on each instrument separately, as well as the sound that is formed when all the instruments are playing together. Since my real eyes were closed, it was easy to lose myself within the sounds. After a few tracks, it was as though the music became the world I was inhabiting. In light of this, I decided to combine the music with the things I was seeing with my third/mind's eye. Because of the concentration, focus and meditation, my brain became a sort of magnetic field, making my entire body go numb. All the energy was dedicated to the brain... and as more energy was being dedicated, my brain started to separate from my body. It became a sort of spirit that was above me, as though I reached a complete different level of consciousness. It was frightening at first, but I chose to embrace it. I understood what Maynard meant by 'crucifying the ego', 'let the light touch you', 'swing on the spiral', 'we are all one mind' etc. At that point, I was not an individual. My body became a vessel for ascension, raising me to a place where I never dreamed possible. It was absolutely divine, boundless, inspiring and beautiful. When I opened my eyes, the world seemed unreal... my body felt unreal. After my experience, I felt completely inspired and wrote 20 minutes of new music material even though it was in the wee hours of the morning. The very next day, my body continued to feel incredibly precious and holy, withering the long depression I was going through before.

This may seem too ridiculous, nonsensical or incomprehensible to some of you and I completely understand why. Due to my poor ability to really make sense of my experience, it would be better if I refer you to the lyrics of the song 'lateralus' and 'reflection'.

The album follows the path of a hero, who after much turmoil, reaches a higher state of consciousness.. or at least desires to (note the sense of agony in 'reflection'). It is sometimes necessary to feel completely bitter, broken, cynical and empty to reach this level. I'm guessing that many of you will continue to believe that Tool songs are completely open to interpretation. I am not one to shove ideas in your face and claim they're valid. However, I would like to point out that under all those layers, there is a very important and intended message that can be read with at least some knowledge of Tool's influences.

To truly understand the album, you have to let it consume you.. you have to become the music. It requires active listening, and is best enjoyed in the darkness. Your physical eyes must be closed to allow your mind's eye to be open. I would suggest meditating.. lying down on your bed when you're either high or extremely relaxed and peaceful, with a pair of very good headphones. By meditating, I mean letting your mind flow and giving way to your second sight. Also, I would strongly suggest reading up on sacred geometry, the merkaba, the third eye, chakras, the tree of life, golden rectangle, phi..... for it could either open or deepen your understanding of tool's music.

I really hope this helps some people as much as it helped me. Good luck and have fun trying this if you haven't already. Also, if you need any further info, feel free to ask... I'd be more than glad to help you rise to the height of your halo.

<3

Last edited by boccaccio; 07-10-2006 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: cleaning up
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
Cat got my tongue

Bincount™: 3250

Very, very well done Boccaccio. I, too grasped the idea of transcendance, of expanding your mind, but you shed new light on those subjects. You certainly are persuasive in your writings, and are sure to highlight the facts behind your hypotheses. Besides Paraflux's interpretation of 10,000 Days, this is the best thread I have read as of now.

I bought this CD when it first came out (I was lucky enough to snatch one of the copies with the misprint), but I only recently began to appreciate it. It was so different from Aenima (which happens to be my favorite CD of all time) and it was hard to grasp from the first few listenings. It was more layered, more complex, more difficult to understand, IMO. With the release of 10,000 Days, I had begun to research Tool and their song meanings, which lead me to delve deeper into the meanings of all of their CD's, through which I began to discover all of the lyrical references, especially in Lateralus. With this new discovery came a new appreciation for the music of Lateralus, and what I had once rejected as too complicated or complex, I now embraced. It became my second favorite Tool CD.

It just so happened that this discovery coincided with a time in my life where I was searching for MORE. And the path to that MORE had been in my CD rack the whole time, blinded by my ignorance. I'm not saying in any way that spiritual enlightenment rests solely on understanding Tool, but for me, that's the way it happened. Through connections that were made from Tool lyrics, it lead me on a journey of learning, of knowledge, self discovery, and realization of all the layers of life that exist, and a newfound appreciation for life (even if that means just being grateful I'm able to conciously experience this moment right now). There used to be a time in my life where I dreaded waking up in the morning, where life was a chore, where I saw no purpose to my life (though I tried in vain to search for one). That is no longer the truth. I haven't "risen to my halo" per se, but I'm on the right road.

Thanks again, Boccaccio. This is of great help in understanding the meaning behind the music I love.

Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel
Old 07-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

good discussion here, this is what i like to see
Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Impatient, your post is excellent and really sincere. If only more people on this board would express themselves like you do.

What you described is exactly the way I felt before Lateralus reached me. Since you're on the right path now, I highly recommend the whole meditation thing. If you're successful in doing it, the albums you love so much will become even greater. (I didn't think that was possible either)

Although it might help, you certainly don't have to be a monk or practice yoga to reach such a state. It simply takes a good amount of patience, concentration and practice. The more you meditate to a certain album, the more you will sharpen your experience.

Almost forgot to mention that on the live version of Pushit (Salival), Maynard tells the spectators to close their eyes and imagine a comfortable and vulnerable space. It comes as no surprise that the band would 'meet you on the other side' if you do this. The song, which is powerful already, is much more effective when you manage to shut the material world off and connect with the vibrations of the music... setting you on the right path for feeling your mind transcend your body. Why do you think the band is hard to see during the show? You're supposed to concentrate on yourself and the music.. and the interaction between the two. This could also explain why there is silence between tracks on Lateralus even though it flows quite beautifully. The listener needs to breathe a little, before going back into the universe of the next song.

<3

Last edited by boccaccio; 07-11-2006 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Cat got my tongue

Bincount™: 3250

I have dabbled in meditation and, although I didn't committ to it as is required to reap the full benefits, I did have very positive experiences. I'm trying to incorporate meditation back into my life because I realize that although dedicating time to something and doing it every day (or often enough to make it habitual) is somewhat laborious, but is well worth the effort. I have been reading up on Jung, too, which has opened my eyes to all of the different aspects of our unconcious and concious mind, and all the possibilites that each hold. This, for me, is along the same lines as meditation, since both deal with self discovery. It's amazing how many things go on with us being totally unaware of them, and that that lack of awareness doesn't stop it from occurring.

The only downside I have witnessed with me being so involved in Tool and their lyrical references is that other music seems shallow. Ever since the release of 10,000 days, I have pretty much been listening to Tool nonstop; at first it was because I had found a new appreciation for their previous works, but now it's because the music I had once enjoyed so thoroughly now seems pointless and empty. I guess with the frame of mind I've been in, this is to be expected. The other music hasn't lost all value, but for now, it doesn't fit in with the scheme of things going on in my life.

Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5127

This is great insight. Now I finally understand the meaning of Triad. That song has really made me ponder.

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
Old 07-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

werd my friends.. i'll write more later.. but.. appreciated the long posts..
Old 07-29-2006, 12:44 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

After you transcended your mere human consciousness, and found yourself on the same plane as god, did you go back to smoking cones,watching south park,and munching choc chip cookies? You know,just out of interest...
Old 07-29-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

no... but it's not like I did that in the first place.

If anything, it inspired me to learn more about the subject and to embrace life in an optimistic, peaceful and spiritual way.

<3
Old 07-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #11
King of Anal

Bincount™: 3492

great thread. lateralus will open you up to something unbelieveable, try it...you can get there.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 AM   #12
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Bincount™: 4
Re: how to have lateralus open up in front of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by boccaccio
The only thing wrong with offering personal interpretations of the album is that it moves you further away from true understanding, which is what is most important in this case.
I don't know if anyone pointed out the most important part of the original post or not...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boccaccio
If you consider the new age philosophy and the fact that on the fifth page of the Lateralus booklet, the word 'GOD' is clearly printed on the man's brain, you will come to realize that Tool is showing you that the divine is inside your head. The entire artwork is proof of this, what with all the spirals, the light transcending the man, the crown (of god) on his head and all the third eyes everywhere.

However you order the tracks, you will find your way to the same message. Move beyond yourself and leave the dark and lonely place that is ruled by self-indulgence, negativity and narcissism. Do away with all primitive and earthly things, and use your mind to ascend into a different world. With meditation, concentration, drugs, the vibrations of the music, you can reach a higher state of consciousness and realize that everything is possible and infinite... that you are connected to the universe. You just have to will it, with your mind.

Until a week ago, I was in the same place as most tool fans in terms of understanding the album. Although I understood the ideas of transcending myself and becoming a better person, I was completely oblivious to the bigger picture. It was not until I shut myself in my room one night, completely high from weed (a relatively weak drug compared to acid... which is always referenced in tool songs) that I heard Lateralus the way it was meant to be heard. With my headphones blasting extremely loud, I managed to concentrate on each instrument separately, as well as the sound that is formed when all the instruments are playing together. Since my real eyes were closed, it was easy to lose myself within the sounds. After a few tracks, it was as though the music became the world I was inhabiting. In light of this, I decided to combine the music with the things I was seeing with my third/mind's eye. Because of the concentration, focus and meditation, my brain became a sort of magnetic field, making my entire body go numb. All the energy was dedicated to the brain... and as more energy was being dedicated, my brain started to separate from my body. It became a sort of spirit that was above me, as though I reached a complete different level of consciousness. It was frightening at first, but I chose to embrace it. I understood what Maynard meant by 'crucifying the ego', 'let the light touch you', 'swing on the spiral', 'we are all one mind' etc. At that point, I was not an individual. My body became a vessel for ascension, raising me to a place where I never dreamed possible. It was absolutely divine, boundless, inspiring and beautiful. When I opened my eyes, the world seemed unreal... my body felt unreal. After my experience, I felt completely inspired and wrote 20 minutes of new music material even though it was in the wee hours of the morning. The very next day, my body continued to feel incredibly precious and holy, withering the long depression I was going through before.

This may seem too ridiculous, nonsensical or incomprehensible to some of you and I completely understand why. Due to my poor ability to really make sense of my experience, it would be better if I refer you to the lyrics of the song 'lateralus' and 'reflection'.

The album follows the path of a hero, who after much turmoil, reaches a higher state of consciousness.. or at least desires to (note the sense of agony in 'reflection'). It is sometimes necessary to feel completely bitter, broken, cynical and empty to reach this level. I'm guessing that many of you will continue to believe that Tool songs are completely open to interpretation. I am not one to shove ideas in your face and claim they're valid. However, I would like to point out that under all those layers, there is a very important and intended message that can be read with at least some knowledge of Tool's influences.

To truly understand the album, you have to let it consume you.. you have to become the music. It requires active listening, and is best enjoyed in the darkness. Your physical eyes must be closed to allow your mind's eye to be open. I would suggest meditating.. lying down on your bed when you're either high or extremely relaxed and peaceful, with a pair of very good headphones. By meditating, I mean letting your mind flow and giving way to your second sight. Also, I would strongly suggest reading up on sacred geometry, the merkaba, the third eye, chakras, the tree of life, golden rectangle, phi..... for it could either open or deepen your understanding of tool's music.

I really hope this helps some people as much as it helped me. Good luck and have fun trying this if you haven't already. Also, if you need any further info, feel free to ask... I'd be more than glad to help you rise to the height of your halo.

<3
Awesome post!! Very well said
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

I almost forgot to explain, among other things, the Moon's role and symbolism in 'Reflection'.

If we are to believe in Tool's influences, the moon corresponds to the 'third eye', or pineal gland. It is reflective, nurturing, changeable and it rules the emotions, dreams, intuition, instincts and the subconscious. According to the chakra system, it gives understanding, perspective and clear mental sight. More importantly, it represents the last step one has to take to achieve the union of all consciousness and all energy.

In Jungian psychology, this is called the 'collective unconscious'. For Plato it's the 'Form of the Good', which can only be seen when one flees from the darkness of the cave. For Christians, it is 'God' and 'Heaven'. For Buddhists it is known simply as 'nirvana'. In Yoga it is described as the voidless void of totally, pure consciousness and bliss, which can be achieved by opening the crown chakra to its maximum potential. For Timothy Leary, the voice at the beginning of Salival's Third Eye, it is the neuro-atomic circuit of consciousness, which allows humans to operate outside of space and time. And so on.

These are different names for the same thing. It goes to show that this information, Tool's message, has been available for thousands of years now. The spiritual evolution of both the band and the speaker in 'Reflection' can be traced back to the first EP.

'Opiate' and 'Undertow' are representations of the un-evolved human being --- hostile, base, raw, angry, grounded in reality and obsessed with survival. To overcome these demons, one has to cleanse the soul (Aenima, as you all know) by washing away all the filth... removing obstacles and providing clean ground to build on... allowing you to go beyond yourself (Lateralus)... and then become united with all energy (10,000 days). The end of the Parabol/Parabola video has an excellent visual representation of this. http://toolshed.down.net/video/parabola/stills5.html

It even shows the Kundalini, a great serpent energy that sleeps in the lower depths of the spine. When released, it spirals up the upper-body and activates every chakra on the way...purifying you and giving you a spiritual awakening. In other words, you activate your DNA.

It comes as no surprise that Maynard would have this tattoo'ed on his back... not to mention the fact that his winery is called Caduceus Cellars. (What is Caduceus you ask? http://www.holyscience.org/temple.htm) It is even less surprising that he would urge you to 'spiral out' and 'swing on the spiral of divinity and still be human'. And let's not forget Danny's obsession with Sacred Geometry.

The DNA, fibonacci sequence and Kundalini are all connected. The spiral is a harmony and balance between all polarities (male and female, solar and lunar etc.) and it is entirely up to you to tap into that energy by taking psychedelics or practicing yoga.

<3
Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

This is definitely some interesting stuff...
Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #16

Bincount™: 3

Amen ...

It feels good to hear someone who holds lateralus up as high as i do.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #17

Bincount™: 3

Dear Lord, I just read the rest of your post.

Maynard... Is that you? Haha
Old 09-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

:-)

Last edited by BlueStarEpiphany; 09-15-2006 at 11:53 PM..
Old 09-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boccaccio View Post
i love this thread- probably the best one ive stumbled acorss so far

i finally understood tool after spending a night rolling in a field and staring at the sky with a few close friends. [triangle and color spectrum around the moon- absolutely amazing...]

i spent a few months doing a personal research project on lateralus.. i overanalyed the shit out of it but i really learned a lot... i started out just trying to find the deep meaning of it - but after ripping it apart in so many ways i found a lot of information. i know that not very many of my ideas even came close to tool's message but i really think that studying all of it drew me closer to true understanding.
so basically- reading others interpretations may throw you off course a bit- but if you take the time to analyze it yourself you may find something new...
Old 09-16-2006, 06:11 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

I forgot to mention a few other important things...again.

Lateralus, the song, is clearly about achieving nirvana, enlightenment, buddhahood. It requires the merging of the body (desire), mind (reason) and soul (spirit), which leads to loss of the ego (sense of self). When one reaches this state, it is extremely difficult to maintain it, unless you are very well trained in meditation, consciousness expansion and advanced yogas. On the album, it only carries on until the end of Disposition, where you hear the sound of a ball bouncing. I have reason to believe that this is a reference to Timothy Leary's book "The Psychedelic Experience", which is essentially a guide to achieving enlightentment or buddhahood through psychedelic drugs: "A ball set bouncing reaches its greatest height at the first bounce; the second bounce is lower, and each succeeding bounce is still lower until the ball comes to rest. The consciousness at the loss of the ego is similar to this. Its first spiritual bound, directly upon leaving the body-ego, is the highest; the next is lower."

The ego returns, and 'Reflection' begins. Now, the lyrics show that the speaker is completely humiliated and longs to return to that special place where love and true knowledge only reign. I believe the return happens in 'Triad'.

"It's calling me" .... those who have experience with enlightenment will know that this is a reference to the pressure on the head and ears, which is felt when one is about to lose the ego. It feels as if the brain is setting up for a space shuttle launch. At this stage, there is also a glimpse of a white light above the head, which is 'the endless source who rescuscitates the hopeless' in the song. Our brains are complex satellites, capable of receiving otherwordly information. However, society teaches us to repress our true selves, numb our brain activity and create ridiculously strong egos..... making us lifeless satellites, unaware of the possibilities.

If Tool's been trying to show you anything all these years, it's working on yourself to overcome these painful truths.

Know yourself. Know your senses, learn how to open them and control them. Feel your spine, genitals, digestive system, heart and throat. Feel your brain, learn how it operates and why. Go deeper, feel your soul, the seat of your true emotions. Your body is a divine machine, in order for it to work properly you need learn how to make all your organs, your soul and your mind work as a collective, a team. Release all of your present and hidden energies. Move in union, breathe in union. Give way to imagination and intuition. The Lateralus booklet shows you that you indeed can go as deep as that.

Letting go is the most important element (The Grudge). Let go of all your beliefs, your ideas, your anger, your grudges, your ego, your need to control. It is a well known fact that the path of spirituality and self-overcoming is tedious, and requires a gargantuan amount of patience and faith (The Patient). But I assure you, it is most rewarding and it is the ultimate goal for human beings. The works and ideas of Plato, Jesus, Buddha, Bill Hicks, Aldous Huxley, Carl Jung, Timothy Leary, John Lennon, Dante, William Blake, Lao Tze, Dalai Lama and of course Tool all show this.

I simply hope that you realize that nearly everyone can reach the Lateralus state. The real problem is, do you WANT to?

<3

Last edited by boccaccio; 09-16-2006 at 06:32 AM..
Old 09-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

A side note: 'Triad' not only refers to the top three sephiroth on the Kabbalah Tree of Life, but the human condition, which is made up of mind, soul, body... or reason, spirit and desire.....or conscious, preconscious, unconscious... or even superego, ego, id. All different names for the same thing. As I pointed out in my previous post, all this relates to the concept of ego-death.

-------

"What is Ego Death? Ego death represents the neurodetoxification of fossilized repression, removing the friction and futile cycling of the nervous system, allowing a higher pattern to form. (See Toxic Mind Theory). From our subjective point of view our self is composed of the parent=superego, adult=ego, child=id in ALL STATES. That is waking, dreaming and deep sleep, plus altered states. To this triad there is both the dark-bad-Thanatos aspect, and the light-good-Eros. Coupled with the Unconscious, conscious and Supraconscious. And all these factors interact to create the self and the Self.

Once we are able to stabilize our consciousness beyond knee jerk reaction to environment, then we are able to cultivate energetic/consciousness conditions in which vast regions of our brain can fall into sync. As we increase our "light" that is energy/consciousness we embody more of the positive-Eros qualities of the parent=superego, adult=ego, child=id triad. Also our conscious bandwidth expands to encompass more of the unconscious and superconscious.

According to the Tao, the greater the King, the harder the fall because there is more a substantially strong tenacity to the brain and sense of self, so there is a need for a stronger force to "perturb" that stability in order for the ego-death and rebirth to occur. A lesser man would not have had to go through such an ordeal because it doesn't take such force to reduce his brain to zero-point. That is to dissolve it down in the great vessel-womb of the void."
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #22
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient215 View Post
The only downside I have witnessed with me being so involved in Tool and their lyrical references is that other music seems shallow. Ever since the release of 10,000 days, I have pretty much been listening to Tool nonstop; at first it was because I had found a new appreciation for their previous works, but now it's because the music I had once enjoyed so thoroughly now seems pointless and empty. I guess with the frame of mind I've been in, this is to be expected. The other music hasn't lost all value, but for now, it doesn't fit in with the scheme of things going on in my life.
You stole the thoughts right out of my head!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz View Post
You stole the thoughts right out of my head!
I also have the same feelings. While I may not have reached the same level of spiritual or emotional enlightenment as some, I do get something out of tool's works that no other music even comes close to matching. I'd say that when listening to music by myself, it's Tool about 90% of the time. I try not to get too deep into the music and its meanings (partially so I don't feel like I'm obsessing, or as if I'm taking their word as gospel). Just listen to the music and let it take hold, take me to another place.

Not that there is anything wrong with heavy analysis, I really enjoy reading this stuff, from people who are much smarter than I. Great thread all!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Excellent posts. I've always meant to explore some of the deeper symbolism of Lateralus, hopefully this will give me somewhere to start.

I do have to comment on one thing, however.

Quote:
Why else do you think Aenima ends with a cryptic and epic song of the same name? For the same reason that Undertow ends with 'flood' (nevermind the hidden track)... to show what's to come in the next album.
While it's nice to think that the band had everything planned out, and that the albums are somehow interconnected, I really think you're reaching here. To begin with, there's no visible connection between Flood and Aenima as a whole. Only the literal connection between the song name and the lyrics of the title track of the following album. Which brings me to my next point. I don't know when the songs on Aenima were written, but my guess would be well after Bill Hicks' death in '94. Hell, they practically dedicated the album to him. So you have to wonder if the material inspired by Hicks' comedy (particularly Aenima) would have still been there had he not passed away. The argument against the Third Eye/Lateralus connetion is in much the same vein. Not only does the track begin with several clips of Hicks, there are also occasional references to the third eye in some of his later bits.

Now, I'm not trying to say that there isn't some connection between albums, there obviously is. But I think it's more the result of being able to observe as the band, both as artists and individuals, mature and expand their own beliefs than it is some pre-planned arc forced in to make things 'fit'.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #25
On Probation

Quote:
I think that some people are still missing the point of Lateralus. Essentially, it is a tool for opening your third eye and reaching a higher consciousness. But has anyone really done so?
Coincidentally, yes I have! With many different methods, but yes Lateralus was one of my first steps :)

ok. Now I'll finish reading your post :)
Old 09-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #26
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient215 View Post
I have dabbled in meditation and, although I didn't committ to it as is required to reap the full benefits, I did have very positive experiences. I'm trying to incorporate meditation back into my life because I realize that although dedicating time to something and doing it every day (or often enough to make it habitual) is somewhat laborious, but is well worth the effort. I have been reading up on Jung, too, which has opened my eyes to all of the different aspects of our unconcious and concious mind, and all the possibilites that each hold. This, for me, is along the same lines as meditation, since both deal with self discovery. It's amazing how many things go on with us being totally unaware of them, and that that lack of awareness doesn't stop it from occurring.

I understand exactly what you mean about dedicating actual time every day to meditating seeming laborous and time consuming, but it's really not. Concider how long it took to get into Lateralus, but how much it paid off when you did. Things that are worth it seem like a pain in the ass before you finally take the time.

I also know what you mean with music seeming hollow and meaingless after discovering meaningful, useful music, but there are maaaany artists out there that have depth and are very worth listening to. For example, The Mars Volta's new album, Amputechture, is about, in part, using DMT to recreate near death experiences (since DMT is the chemical expression of the soul and is released at birth/death in the brain).

Some bands worth listening to:
Coheed & Cambria (seriously... their music is extremely well made and is based on a sci-fi comic that they write.. it's really spectacular)
Marilyn Manson (seriously... his music is very original and practically as esoteric and full of references as Tool. The Heirophant [manson fan board] is the only other board I post on that deals with serious interpretations of the music, check out nachkabarett.,com for some interpretations)
Paul Oakenfold (specifically Voyage Into Trance, Feed Your Mind EP, and Tranceport. Progressive psy/trance techno, no lyrics obviously, but it's AMAZING for meditation, and for tripping on acid. Very meaningful music. And fuck what you heard if you already love trance and hate Paul because he's mainstream, he's a genius)
Jefferson Airplane (excellent 60's psychedelic rock, very revolutionary, very meaningful music)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Apocalyptic Post-Rock, very creative and original, long drawn-out instrumental music)
KRS-ONE (specifically try his album Return of The Boom Bap, and more specifically, try the song Higher Level. His music is very deep and that's one of the best Hiphop albums ever)
The Doors (I shouldn't really have to explain this, but they're amazing and great for meditation, if not simply for Jim's artistic expression)

EDIT:
I was thinking and I'd like to make a suggestion on a very good way to begin introducing meditation into your daily routine.

Try the WILD, the Wake Induced Lucid Dream.
Every night when you go to sleep try to stay conscious through the entire process.
I'm not gonna describe the whole process here (otherwise linking you would be pointless), but eventually you'll enter sleep paralasys (when your body paralyzes itself so you don't act out your dreams), then you'll reach a state of mental clarity, then you'll start seeing Closed Eyed Visuals (like on acid), then aural hallucinations (also like on acid) and eventually you'll be in dreamworld, or you can choose to actively astral project (essentially the same thing, but a somewhat different way of experiencing it. One's based more on your mind and one's based more on the egoless universal mind)

This will be a good way to begin meditating routinely, and eventually you can start simply meditating for the sake of meditating, instead of astral projecting or lucid dreaming.

http://www.ld4all.com/how_wild.shtml

Last edited by lsdexmt; 09-23-2006 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

This will be my first post ever on these forums D:

I want to start with a brief description of my former experiences with Tool. I first got very into Tool when a friend of mine was showing me some bootlegs of thier shows. The quality of the performances were amazing and I got very into thier bootlegs (google bootlegarchive). I had absolutely no idea as to the lyrics at all just the sound. The flow of the music, the thickness of it, the mood it set was beyond comprehension. All I can remember is the drums in an amazing SBD of DRT&L that I had. The drums the beat, the flow, the thickness, the mood.

After aquinting myself further with these bootlegs I started getting more into the albums. I went out and bought every single album (was lucky enough to even find the Salival DVD). Opiate was very raw emotion, that was unconfined, undirected; just raw. I loved Maynards voice though. And the drums ... ohhhh the drums. I next jumped into Lateralus again only paying close attention the actual music and was it ever thick. Undertow was next and this was when I started to realize I really need to start looking into the lyrics. Songs like Undertow and Bottom I fell absolutely in love with. Both songs described how I felt after just moving. Clinging onto old friends, trying to keep in touch and just being alone, dead inside related me so much to Undertow.

Next I dived into Aenima. Now this was THICK. Even the sound of the guitars & bass in songs like Jimmy and Third Eye were thick. I knew this album was going to take time to decipher and I did. I looked into every possible aspect and refrence of this album that was possible as my own sort of project.

Recently I've absolutely fallen in love with Pushit off Salival. This song was so sickly related to my feelings with my mother at this moment in time with so many conflicts in my life. The long and short of the story was that my mother made our entire family move out east to be with her parents as they are nearing thier final resting periods. I absolutely hated my life all summer doing chores (with nothing better to do) for these people I hated. I gave up so many friends and oppurtunites and experiences to be by her and her parent's side and I felt like shit. I swore at times I was going to shoot my mother in the face because I was just so pissed off. My mother was getting more and more worried too as I drifted further and further and further away from her. She felt so disgusted and angry when I wouldn't want to take some time, put it aside and talk to the bitch and do what I say as "put on a smile" (you know you all have).

Well I still feel the gap between me and my mother but I've gotten very off topic. What I wanted to post here and say is that about an hour ago lying on my bed with the curtains shut and door closed I had the most amazing experience with Lateralus. I opened my third eye on DRT with no meds, no THC no nothing. And I dont know what to say. I just hope I can get to that high again because I wrote some of the most beautiful music of my life afterwards and felt so motivated to go out and just ... do something. For know I just don't know what else to say other then I'm enjoying myself tremendously.

PEACE
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #28

Quote:
I almost forgot to explain, among other things, the Moon's role and symbolism in 'Reflection'.

If we are to believe in Tool's influences, the moon corresponds to the 'third eye', or pineal gland. It is reflective, nurturing, changeable and it rules the emotions, dreams, intuition, instincts and the subconscious. According to the chakra system, it gives understanding, perspective and clear mental sight. More importantly, it represents the last step one has to take to achieve the union of all consciousness and all energy.

In Jungian psychology, this is called the 'collective unconscious'. For Plato it's the 'Form of the Good', which can only be seen when one flees from the darkness of the cave. For Christians, it is 'God' and 'Heaven'. For Buddhists it is known simply as 'nirvana'. In Yoga it is described as the voidless void of totally, pure consciousness and bliss, which can be achieved by opening the crown chakra to its maximum potential. For Timothy Leary, the voice at the beginning of Salival's Third Eye, it is the neuro-atomic circuit of consciousness, which allows humans to operate outside of space and time. And so on.

These are different names for the same thing. It goes to show that this information, Tool's message, has been available for thousands of years now. The spiritual evolution of both the band and the speaker in 'Reflection' can be traced back to the first EP.

'Opiate' and 'Undertow' are representations of the un-evolved human being --- hostile, base, raw, angry, grounded in reality and obsessed with survival. To overcome these demons, one has to cleanse the soul (Aenima, as you all know) by washing away all the filth... removing obstacles and providing clean ground to build on... allowing you to go beyond yourself (Lateralus)... and then become united with all energy (10,000 days). The end of the Parabol/Parabola video has an excellent visual representation of this. http://toolshed.down.net/video/parabola/stills5.html

It even shows the Kundalini, a great serpent energy that sleeps in the lower depths of the spine. When released, it spirals up the upper-body and activates every chakra on the way...purifying you and giving you a spiritual awakening. In other words, you activate your DNA.

It comes as no surprise that Maynard would have this tattoo'ed on his back... not to mention the fact that his winery is called Caduceus Cellars. (What is Caduceus you ask? http://www.holyscience.org/temple.htm) It is even less surprising that he would urge you to 'spiral out' and 'swing on the spiral of divinity and still be human'. And let's not forget Danny's obsession with Sacred Geometry.

The DNA, fibonacci sequence and Kundalini are all connected. The spiral is a harmony and balance between all polarities (male and female, solar and lunar etc.) and it is entirely up to you to tap into that energy by taking psychedelics or practicing yoga.

<3
Yeah, I know personally I'd like to thank you for summarizing all of this. All of this has been ideas swarming around in my mind like aggravated hive of bees, facets of ideas making sense at a time. But especially after reading this thread thus far it's all coming together. I can relate so much to what you and Impatient were saying about Lateralus and all. I came to sudden realization of the album while listening to it one morning after injusting LSD the previous night. It all hit me like a runaway freight train roaring down a mountain side. I listened to The Patient first (in attempt to calm my unnerved friend), then it was like I heared Mantra for the first time of my life, like all the other times the sound just lulled through my skull, but this time it really took a hold of me. Then Schism followed, and it was a trip, dude, because it seemed like every word in Schism highlighted percisely the issue I was having with my unnerved friend, communication was lost, and it seemed like the whole song was describing exactly what the deal was. And then I concluded (hit by another freight train) the essence of the album, the necessity pointed at of human connection, lateral-us, IMO, anyway. And that just kinda highlighted the whole communication issue with Schism and basically wrapped up a LOT of ideas that were a' buzzin' in my head. And this discussion has really stabalized in my mind that other people are seeing some of the same shit I have been. So thank you guys for giving me that piece of mind. And that website, holyscience.org seems like a really great resource. Thanks for the refrence.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #29
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

hey, this is truly great introspection into Lat. im really overwhelmed by the amount of info youre posting here. neat. and thanks.

so, besides knowing all of this; having all this info in our brains, how is it that we "ascend" to a higher level? how is it that we actually open our third eye?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

thanks everyone :D

iota, there are several ways of opening the third eye to ascend into a higher level.
These include near-death experiences, psychedelic drugs, meditation, yoga and any other activity or endeavour that stimulates the pineal gland, causing it to release DMT, which is a natural chemical that enhances communication with both human and otherwordly entities. (pointing towards the connection of two lover's souls in Schism and the Grateful Dead chemistry/alien encounter in Rosetta Stoned)

Last edited by boccaccio; 10-12-2006 at 01:56 PM..
Old 10-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #31
Banned.

the response i was looking for. thanks.

now, for jumping off a bridge...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #32
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

"let's go digging"

-_-

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 10-13-2006 at 10:17 AM..
Old 10-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #33

Does anybody else find it as interesting as I do that all of these so called "conspiracies" that correlate to metaphysics and/or spirituality all interrelate? It's all the same stuff that people have been denouncing for years, but it all keeps resurfacing and proving to be ever evident within our concept of society. But still we (when we should be ego-evasive) just embrace it (the ego [our greatest foe]). Let's go digging, indeed, dig through the density of empty space and bone, through the cranium exposing a hole. . . pry-ing-op-en-my-third-eye.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #34
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5441

get a job, you filthy pot-smoking hippies.

jk
"Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion."
-Bruce Lee
Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #35
Banned.

lets amputate his soul, guys.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

He'll do it all by himself. Lets just watch...rub hands maniacally.

...I had to look up maniacal!! ..."fuck your short memories" lol
Anyway, great read. Always heartwarming to hear about another like minded soul.
...go! boccaccio, Go!

Peace.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #37
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5441

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
lets amputate his soul, guys.
that would involve a rather intricate lobotomy, if the third eye really is the "seat of the soul"
"Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion."
-Bruce Lee
Old 10-29-2006, 01:18 AM   #38
Banned.

no pain, no gain.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: