opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 04. Bottom
User Name
Password
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: No One Talks About This Song

yea can i get that too please?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
bottom isnt really one of my favorites, it just seems to slow down the momentum in the album, i will admit to skipping this track more often than others
This is actually my favorite song of Undertow, I skip Prison Sex and Sober to get to this. My 3 favorite would have to be Bottom, Intolerance, and Sober.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
I can't listen to too much of this song because I end wanting to kick the shit out of something!...That goes for much of the Undertow album. Pure aggression around every corner.
In another topic somebody complained about Opiate being too much "metal", rather than melodic like the others, but look at a lot of songs on this album, including Bottom.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #43
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

The more I go back and listen to Undertow, the more I dig this song. I always liked it, but now I think it's my favorite song on the album, just behind intolerance and prison sex.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

I found a very old live performance of Tool, a very small club in Philly in May of 92. The version of Bottom is one I have never heard before, it is more up tempo than any version I've heard and the lyrics seem to be quite different. And, of course, the "Rollins part" is different as well. The uploader has the entire performance available, and is suprisingly pretty good audio quality. Please forgive me if this has already been discussed here. You'll have to excuse my lack of html skills as well, but here is the URL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1hICIpnSz4
Old 03-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
I found a very old live performance of Tool, a very small club in Philly in May of 92. The version of Bottom is one I have never heard before, it is more up tempo than any version I've heard and the lyrics seem to be quite different. And, of course, the "Rollins part" is different as well. The uploader has the entire performance available, and is suprisingly pretty good audio quality. Please forgive me if this has already been discussed here. You'll have to excuse my lack of html skills as well, but here is the URL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1hICIpnSz4
Either you were joking or the link has changed.

The URL provided goes to some Panic at the Disco video.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 03-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Dear God!!!! My apologies, that link was still in my clipboard from the thread of "Bad Cover songs". Here is the correct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jraEH_Grs0
Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

Haha no sweat. Sweet video.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 03-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #48
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

this song still means more to me than some of their more recent works (don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of both lateralus and 10,000 days, but the fact of the matter is, undertow has had a little more time to become a "part of me" haha...), one of the things i feel few people mention is the variability of this song... back in the early opiate days this song was performed live quite often, with maynard taking on what Rolins took on for the studio version and a couple of live performances, that eventually became a semi-regular part for Zach De La Rocha(sp? it's been a while) during the 1994 days of the undertow tour, which eventually birthed the D'Amour demos.
The evolution of this song went from raging sped up insanity, from what sounded like the only way to strengthen one's will to stay on top, was to fall all the way to the bottom, to the battle between one's self, and one's "better half" and how people can endlessly drag eachother down without much intention or effort involved, to a sort of resolution of being okay with being on the bottom, because in a way the top isn't always the place to be, or worth fighting for (a majority of this is on a metaphorical level).
Another reason why this song is still a personal favorite of mine is because of the refferences to a conflict with oneself, that only the person/people involved could either fully understand, or ignore entirely. This is definitely one of the more complex songs on the Undertow album. A fear of the bottom is usually how we end up there, and we take it and make it something much worse than it actually is, a fear of the unknown heavily affects our perception of reality, this very message is fully expressed through every aspect through-out the entirety of the undertow album.

Last edited by chaotic_confusion; 03-04-2007 at 01:09 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: