Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST - (thanks to Ganjalf and jwb for timely updates)
Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-25-2009 at 08:05 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST - (thanks to Ganjalf and jwb for timely updates)
Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-25-2009 at 08:05 PM..
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
07-25-2009, 08:23 PM

typing this from outside the venue on phone. Sorry if the format is retarded.
Wow!
Possibly my favourite tool show yet, despite the same setlist.

Tweak bird is really growing on me. To everyone going to future shows - do not miss these guys! The drummer Ashton is incredible. Absolutely love him.

Their clarinet player was wearing a cool Indian hat for their set.
I love the crowds reaction for their song "spaceships" with the hilarious vocals.

Standard setlist for tool. After being high and drunk as hell for SA, I really did appreciate being sober for this one. The lights and lasers alone make you high....

Maynard was once again singing random jibberish for rosetta stoned. Always makes me laugh. Rosetta is still my favourite song live.

Lateralus was the best performance of the tour so far. This ashton dude from tweak bird did an awesome job on the extended drum battle with danny. He came out wearing an Indian hat as well. I could tell all 5 of them were having tons of fun.
Justin did a very hilarious dance during lateralus with his legs/feet. Almost an elvis sorta thing...

After the drum solo there was an awsome maynardism: "this is a handicapped parking zone, get this shit off the stage" then he pretended to write a ticket.

Oh.... Great story during vicarious. Adams guitar malfunctioned/stopped working near the end of the song and during his solo everything went quiet in the middle of the song. Maynard started singing the guitar sounds on his mic. I thought the technical error made it a special/memorable song.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

typing this from outside the venue on phone. Sorry if the format is retarded.
Wow!
Possibly my favourite tool show yet, despite the same setlist.

Tweak bird is really growing on me. To everyone going to future shows - do not miss these guys! The drummer Ashton is incredible. Absolutely love him.

Their clarinet player was wearing a cool Indian hat for their set.
I love the crowds reaction for their song "spaceships" with the hilarious vocals.

Standard setlist for tool. After being high and drunk as hell for SA, I really did appreciate being sober for this one. The lights and lasers alone make you high....

Maynard was once again singing random jibberish for rosetta stoned. Always makes me laugh. Rosetta is still my favourite song live.

Lateralus was the best performance of the tour so far. This ashton dude from tweak bird did an awesome job on the extended drum battle with danny. He came out wearing an Indian hat as well. I could tell all 5 of them were having tons of fun.
Justin did a very hilarious dance during lateralus with his legs/feet. Almost an elvis sorta thing...

After the drum solo there was an awsome maynardism: "this is a handicapped parking zone, get this shit off the stage" then he pretended to write a ticket.

Oh.... Great story during vicarious. Adams guitar malfunctioned/stopped working near the end of the song and during his solo everything went quiet in the middle of the song. Maynard started singing the guitar sounds on his mic. I thought the technical error made it a special/memorable song.
07-25-2009, 08:28 PM

This is impossible on phone, I'll edit and add more later when I find a computer.

Bottom line: awesome venue and performance. Best of 2009 tour thus far.
Thanks junior again for the time after the show.

And thanks to the tons of people on toolshed offering rides and such along the way. You people are awesome, and truly making this trip a memorable one for me.

See you in Atlanta.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

This is impossible on phone, I'll edit and add more later when I find a computer.

And thanks to the tons of people on toolshed offering rides and such along the way. You people are awesome, and truly making this trip a memorable one for me.

See you in Atlanta.
07-25-2009, 08:42 PM

only hickup was adam's on vicarious. awesome show still. will write more later when i'mn ot driving.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

only hickup was adam's on vicarious. awesome show still. will write more later when i'mn ot driving.
OFFLINE |  
gcarlet
07-25-2009, 09:18 PM

4th time seeing them. Great as always. Lights were amazing. Band was amazing. Drum stuff during Lateralus was awesome. Being a drummer myself, I would love to have the chance to go back and forth with Danny on the kit. Even though he'd make me look like a TOOL. :-) The guitar malfunction during Vicarious did make this even more memorable and shows you how awesome they are to think quick on their feet, but also let's you realize that they are human too. All in all, great show! Can't wait to see them again next time.
Grand Prarie, TX (Dallas) - July 25, 2009
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

4th time seeing them. Great as always. Lights were amazing. Band was amazing. Drum stuff during Lateralus was awesome. Being a drummer myself, I would love to have the chance to go back and forth with Danny on the kit. Even though he'd make me look like a TOOL. :-) The guitar malfunction during Vicarious did make this even more memorable and shows you how awesome they are to think quick on their feet, but also let's you realize that they are human too. All in all, great show! Can't wait to see them again next time.
OFFLINE |  
accecareanima
07-25-2009, 09:24 PM

My God what an amazing show, FLOOD was amazing, After the "oncore" maynard came out in his classic just shorts outfit! He must love texas because he said "thanks for being a Texan, no really" but the biggest moment of the night was Adams guitar malfunction. It wasn't that bad because Maynard did the solo with his mic and he sounded like a chicken. IT was Hilarious. Everyone keeps saying the set list was the same as 10000 days, but it wasn't they didn't play 10,000 days wings for maria, the pot, or Right in two. Hats off to Nokia they sounded great I could actually keep up with Rosetta Stoned lyrics! I LOVE THAT SONG!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

My God what an amazing show, FLOOD was amazing, After the "oncore" maynard came out in his classic just shorts outfit! He must love texas because he said "thanks for being a Texan, no really" but the biggest moment of the night was Adams guitar malfunction. It wasn't that bad because Maynard did the solo with his mic and he sounded like a chicken. IT was Hilarious. Everyone keeps saying the set list was the same as 10000 days, but it wasn't they didn't play 10,000 days wings for maria, the pot, or Right in two. Hats off to Nokia they sounded great I could actually keep up with Rosetta Stoned lyrics! I LOVE THAT SONG!
OFFLINE |  
teknofear's Avatar teknofear
07-25-2009, 09:25 PM

don't feel like writing all this out again, so here's my copypaste from the other thread:

not to sound like Debbie Downer or anything, but I was completely stoked getting there (got there right after Jambi), but I was really expecting more from tonight. Was in sec 101, row Q, the fuckin little security guys were nazis about phones and such, but I was able to sneak a few pics (they're on pixerbog now). Yeah, Adam and Justin were wearing all white, Danny was in his usual basketball getup, MJK stripped down to his skivvies at one point, I think before Lateralus, where the drummer for TB came out in a Native American headdress, MJK said something like, "let the drum phagittry begin" (THAT"S LITERALLY WHAT HE SAID), which they did somewhat dualing drum solos (during Lateralus).

On a side note, as we got there late, once inside, made a dash for one of the beer stands, paid $7 for one Shiner (after the fuckin $15 for parking), made my way into the auditorium, was all ga-ga about being there, was walking down the steps between sections 201 and 202, was watching the stage not watching where I was going, and fuckin took a spill going down the steps. Rollled my fuckin ankle three ways to Sunday (gonna be a moderate sprain), and got a big-ass knot on my other knee.

That's probably what I'll remember most about this show.

The show was good overall, sound was pretty good, at least from my vantage point. Should've bit the bullet and traded my 101 (and some extra scratch) for a pit ticket. My bad, I'll know better next time.

Adam's guitar cut-out at one point during Vicarious, was interesting to see how they just rolled with it. MJK made some silly noises, Justin looked confused, but after a min or so, they got Adam back up and rolling again.

Oh yeah, has it always been $40 for T-shirts?

WTF, over.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

don't feel like writing all this out again, so here's my copypaste from the other thread:

not to sound like Debbie Downer or anything, but I was completely stoked getting there (got there right after Jambi), but I was really expecting more from tonight. Was in sec 101, row Q, the fuckin little security guys were nazis about phones and such, but I was able to sneak a few pics (they're on pixerbog now). Yeah, Adam and Justin were wearing all white, Danny was in his usual basketball getup, MJK stripped down to his skivvies at one point, I think before Lateralus, where the drummer for TB came out in a Native American headdress, MJK said something like, "let the drum phagittry begin" (THAT"S LITERALLY WHAT HE SAID), which they did somewhat dualing drum solos (during Lateralus).

On a side note, as we got there late, once inside, made a dash for one of the beer stands, paid $7 for one Shiner (after the fuckin $15 for parking), made my way into the auditorium, was all ga-ga about being there, was walking down the steps between sections 201 and 202, was watching the stage not watching where I was going, and fuckin took a spill going down the steps. Rollled my fuckin ankle three ways to Sunday (gonna be a moderate sprain), and got a big-ass knot on my other knee.

That's probably what I'll remember most about this show.

The show was good overall, sound was pretty good, at least from my vantage point. Should've bit the bullet and traded my 101 (and some extra scratch) for a pit ticket. My bad, I'll know better next time.

Adam's guitar cut-out at one point during Vicarious, was interesting to see how they just rolled with it. MJK made some silly noises, Justin looked confused, but after a min or so, they got Adam back up and rolling again.

Oh yeah, has it always been $40 for T-shirts?

WTF, over.
CLaybobMastadon
07-25-2009, 09:33 PM

Maynard's police uniform was classic!

Huge thanks to the guys for making this a great show!

I had not seen Tool since Ozfest '98 with many many many other great bands of the time. This blows that away! I even had seats WAAAAAAAY up in section 402 h18 (the guy rockin the fuck ot with a j, not the asshole that almost got arrested) and it still sounded great. Couldn't have been a bad seat in the house except for maybe the pit. if you're down there that close, you're missing some AMAZING LIGHTS and stage projections. Absolutely mind blowing.

I knew the setlist going in and everything still seemed to be a surprise. Few songs were played in album format. Many variations but all excellent! When i saw them in '98, i really wanted to hear "Flood" and they didn't play it. tonight makes the 11 year wait all worth it.

*When I FINALLY made it into the venue (2 beers in hand) at the beginning of "Jambi" some asshole security guy saw me coming along the walk way and lowered a shoulder and took a step out in front of me, causing me to throw my friend's beer all over myself.

FUCKING ASSHOLE!

*hilarious for anyone witnessing the event

From the beginning of "Stinkfist" the energy was overwhealming! I began to shake and dance uncontrollably! (thank you, aisle seat)

Glad this was, in kanaduh's words, "Possibly my favourite tool show yet, despite the same setlist", because i was there and it's the only show i'll be able to attend this year. (yeah, been readin' yer posts)

Everyone was spot on! The jams were awesome! Introductions, lights, visiuals, ad-libbing, all around production, with the exception of the guitar malfunction, was absolutely AMAZING!

One of my favorite concerts EVER and i've seen a lot of bands in a lot of places.

If anyone witnessed HALF of the show we got in Dallas, you've no reason to complain. (about the band, anyway. Nokia is another story)

Fantastic!

(I know the lyrics to rosetta stoned and tonight was immensely different. seemed made up, most of the time. the obvious parts were all there)

and i forgot to mention justin's GIGANTIC foam cowboy hat!

ver rhinestone cowboy! ;)

Last edited by CLaybobMastadon; 07-25-2009 at 10:26 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Maynard's police uniform was classic!

Huge thanks to the guys for making this a great show!

I had not seen Tool since Ozfest '98 with many many many other great bands of the time. This blows that away! I even had seats WAAAAAAAY up in section 402 h18 (the guy rockin the fuck ot with a j, not the asshole that almost got arrested) and it still sounded great. Couldn't have been a bad seat in the house except for maybe the pit. if you're down there that close, you're missing some AMAZING LIGHTS and stage projections. Absolutely mind blowing.

I knew the setlist going in and everything still seemed to be a surprise. Few songs were played in album format. Many variations but all excellent! When i saw them in '98, i really wanted to hear "Flood" and they didn't play it. tonight makes the 11 year wait all worth it.

*When I FINALLY made it into the venue (2 beers in hand) at the beginning of "Jambi" some asshole security guy saw me coming along the walk way and lowered a shoulder and took a step out in front of me, causing me to throw my friend's beer all over myself.

FUCKING ASSHOLE!

*hilarious for anyone witnessing the event

From the beginning of "Stinkfist" the energy was overwhealming! I began to shake and dance uncontrollably! (thank you, aisle seat)

Glad this was, in kanaduh's words, "Possibly my favourite tool show yet, despite the same setlist", because i was there and it's the only show i'll be able to attend this year. (yeah, been readin' yer posts)

Everyone was spot on! The jams were awesome! Introductions, lights, visiuals, ad-libbing, all around production, with the exception of the guitar malfunction, was absolutely AMAZING!

One of my favorite concerts EVER and i've seen a lot of bands in a lot of places.

If anyone witnessed HALF of the show we got in Dallas, you've no reason to complain. (about the band, anyway. Nokia is another story)

Fantastic!

(I know the lyrics to rosetta stoned and tonight was immensely different. seemed made up, most of the time. the obvious parts were all there)

and i forgot to mention justin's GIGANTIC foam cowboy hat!

ver rhinestone cowboy! ;)

Last edited by CLaybobMastadon; 07-25-2009 at 10:26 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
07-25-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accecareanima View Post
kanaduh the gibberish in Rosetta Stoned is a man tripping on a drug, and he his freaking out about being up ducted by Aliens. READ THE LYRICS, I though you were a tool fan?
Before I write my review ill respond to this, he means Maynard is not following the lyrics he's just spurting random shit into the mic instead of singing the lyrics he originally wrote for them.

Alright Review Time:

This is my 3rd tool show, and I think it was the best. First two times I heard rosetta stoned i thought it lacked hard, could barely hear maynard during important parts the music to me just didnt seem time. But tonight man it fucking DESTROYED. Everything little bit that I look forward to on the album just rang clear tonight I loved it.

This was probably the best tool show I've seen out of the 3. Seeing them in that venue was so awesome. Twittering was cool I did it super fast so I could enjoy. Most the time I just heard the synth from the beginning and instantly knew what they were going into. (Too many live bootlegs).

also fuck those drunk fuckers waving glow sticks around. Really gtfo.

Also thanks junior

Last edited by Ganjalf; 07-25-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

Quote:
Originally Posted by accecareanima View Post
kanaduh the gibberish in Rosetta Stoned is a man tripping on a drug, and he his freaking out about being up ducted by Aliens. READ THE LYRICS, I though you were a tool fan?
Before I write my review ill respond to this, he means Maynard is not following the lyrics he's just spurting random shit into the mic instead of singing the lyrics he originally wrote for them.

Alright Review Time:

This is my 3rd tool show, and I think it was the best. First two times I heard rosetta stoned i thought it lacked hard, could barely hear maynard during important parts the music to me just didnt seem time. But tonight man it fucking DESTROYED. Everything little bit that I look forward to on the album just rang clear tonight I loved it.

This was probably the best tool show I've seen out of the 3. Seeing them in that venue was so awesome. Twittering was cool I did it super fast so I could enjoy. Most the time I just heard the synth from the beginning and instantly knew what they were going into. (Too many live bootlegs).

also fuck those drunk fuckers waving glow sticks around. Really gtfo.

Also thanks junior

Last edited by Ganjalf; 07-25-2009 at 09:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
manny214's Avatar manny214
07-25-2009, 09:35 PM

i was in the pit, badass fucking show, anyone seen the autographed posters tonight?

JUNIOR, thanks for the visuals/lasers everything man, great lights..haha

overall another great trippy night with tool. success.

ill add more later gotta get back to my trrriiip
Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

i was in the pit, badass fucking show, anyone seen the autographed posters tonight?

JUNIOR, thanks for the visuals/lasers everything man, great lights..haha

overall another great trippy night with tool. success.

ill add more later gotta get back to my trrriiip
07-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Good show, not great. Was a little dissapointed that the setlist was virtually the same as the last time I saw them at the Pearl- minus wings I and II. I know mjk decides what songs he wants to sing each night, but would it kill him to throw in something new from time to time?

Last edited by jwb; 07-25-2009 at 09:48 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Good show, not great. Was a little dissapointed that the setlist was virtually the same as the last time I saw them at the Pearl- minus wings I and II. I know mjk decides what songs he wants to sing each night, but would it kill him to throw in something new from time to time?

Last edited by jwb; 07-25-2009 at 09:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
bradster21
07-25-2009, 09:48 PM

After reading some of the reviews from the other shows, I was worried that maybe Tool had lost a step. Well, they haven't. Maybe they haven't completely shaken the rust off after a year and a half break, but this was a great show. We had some people that got their Tool cherry popped tonight.

This was my 5th time to see them and I can honestly say I didn't feel like I was being shortchanged for the experience. At the same time, this was a very similar show to the ones seen on the 10,000 days tour.

The visuals were great. The new Rosetta Stoned visuals were sweet.

Just a question: Did anyone else feel compelled to shop at Target after watching the Lateralus video? I swear I saw the Target logo in the video.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

After reading some of the reviews from the other shows, I was worried that maybe Tool had lost a step. Well, they haven't. Maybe they haven't completely shaken the rust off after a year and a half break, but this was a great show. We had some people that got their Tool cherry popped tonight.

This was my 5th time to see them and I can honestly say I didn't feel like I was being shortchanged for the experience. At the same time, this was a very similar show to the ones seen on the 10,000 days tour.

The visuals were great. The new Rosetta Stoned visuals were sweet.

Just a question: Did anyone else feel compelled to shop at Target after watching the Lateralus video? I swear I saw the Target logo in the video.
OFFLINE |  
slims999
07-25-2009, 09:51 PM

My 4th show! Wooowww! What a great show. Was good to see the same setlist lineup as 2006-07 but I wish they'd play some other stuff. I couldnt stop head banging in Rosetta Stoned - "'cause this shit never happens to me!!!" Man it was completely insane.

Early on, one of the security guards kinda walked by us (207) and said "Quit it" or something. I dunno what he was talking about, but there was a smell of weed around us. I liked it, it just wasn't us though, lol! Maybe thats what he was barking at.

Then frikin Adam's guitar goes out towards the end of Vicarious where his melodies really come in play. Maynard starting singing the melody that Adam was supposed to be playing. The tech guy runs out there and tries to fix it, meanwhile Adam acts like he's gonna slam his guitar down! Haha. Finally it gets going and Justin turns to Adam and points and laughs. Adam walked center stage and started wailing!! then came... "VICARIOUSLY I!!! Live while the whole world dies!!! Much better you than I!!

What a show, take care all!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

My 4th show! Wooowww! What a great show. Was good to see the same setlist lineup as 2006-07 but I wish they'd play some other stuff. I couldnt stop head banging in Rosetta Stoned - "'cause this shit never happens to me!!!" Man it was completely insane.

Early on, one of the security guards kinda walked by us (207) and said "Quit it" or something. I dunno what he was talking about, but there was a smell of weed around us. I liked it, it just wasn't us though, lol! Maybe thats what he was barking at.

Then frikin Adam's guitar goes out towards the end of Vicarious where his melodies really come in play. Maynard starting singing the melody that Adam was supposed to be playing. The tech guy runs out there and tries to fix it, meanwhile Adam acts like he's gonna slam his guitar down! Haha. Finally it gets going and Justin turns to Adam and points and laughs. Adam walked center stage and started wailing!! then came... "VICARIOUSLY I!!! Live while the whole world dies!!! Much better you than I!!

What a show, take care all!
OFFLINE |  
Meblazin
07-25-2009, 09:58 PM

First of all, GREAT show! Visuals were spot on and the "upper level" view made it pretty cool. Hate that I had to pay what I did for those seats but it was well worth it.

Great venue to see TOOL. I have not been this impressed since the Aenima toor at that Bronco bowl. Security was inforcing the no recording with a passion. Some guy was attempting to record the concert on his camcorder. He didn't cover up the red light and got busted.

Maynard was pretty energetic and the rest of the guys did their part, as ususal.The Vicariuos malfunction was something I will never forget, but Maynard pulled it off pretty well with his chicken dance.

I never miss an opportunity to see TOOL when they come to town. Same setlist, for the most part, as last tour. But, WOW, what a show!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

First of all, GREAT show! Visuals were spot on and the "upper level" view made it pretty cool. Hate that I had to pay what I did for those seats but it was well worth it.

Great venue to see TOOL. I have not been this impressed since the Aenima toor at that Bronco bowl. Security was inforcing the no recording with a passion. Some guy was attempting to record the concert on his camcorder. He didn't cover up the red light and got busted.

Maynard was pretty energetic and the rest of the guys did their part, as ususal.The Vicariuos malfunction was something I will never forget, but Maynard pulled it off pretty well with his chicken dance.

I never miss an opportunity to see TOOL when they come to town. Same setlist, for the most part, as last tour. But, WOW, what a show!
OFFLINE |  
polyrythmic987
07-25-2009, 10:08 PM

13th tool show, good show not great by any means...same setlist as last tour basically. Felt that the energy was amazing during the first three songs then took a dive after that (46&2 and Stinkfist were awesome!) As far as Lateralus drum solo goes, ya I love drum solos as much as anyone but I miss the old version of Lateralus because that song was so perfect live and now it just seems like a deviation...with Triad it made sense to have a drum off but now it just seems like filler (Lost Keys-Rosetta-Lateralus drum off take up so much of the set now). I miss the Lateralus tour, not trying to be a downer but being real that's how I felt, was a great show but was hoping for a little more and wasn't how I used to feel leaving tool shows walking to my car...(and not having to pay $100 doing so)

Last edited by polyrythmic987; 07-25-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

13th tool show, good show not great by any means...same setlist as last tour basically. Felt that the energy was amazing during the first three songs then took a dive after that (46&2 and Stinkfist were awesome!) As far as Lateralus drum solo goes, ya I love drum solos as much as anyone but I miss the old version of Lateralus because that song was so perfect live and now it just seems like a deviation...with Triad it made sense to have a drum off but now it just seems like filler (Lost Keys-Rosetta-Lateralus drum off take up so much of the set now). I miss the Lateralus tour, not trying to be a downer but being real that's how I felt, was a great show but was hoping for a little more and wasn't how I used to feel leaving tool shows walking to my car...(and not having to pay $100 doing so)

Last edited by polyrythmic987; 07-25-2009 at 10:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
rockusJ
07-25-2009, 10:16 PM

Kanaduh, rocky here. sorry i missed you. hope u enjoyed Nokia. told you! the acoustics are great here! Peace. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

See you in Atlanta.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Kanaduh, rocky here. sorry i missed you. hope u enjoyed Nokia. told you! the acoustics are great here! Peace. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

See you in Atlanta.
OFFLINE |  
prater
07-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Maynardism time.
After Jambi "I have a mission for everyone, look out for each other. How will you do that, pretend they are your roomates, and this is your new home. Everyone hold up your right hand so your palm faces the back of the room and repeat after me. Say don't scream "Welcome Home" (the venue goes silent) one, two, three "WELCOME HOME." " Stinkfist begins promptly.

Also after Jambi "Thank for coming, and thank you for being Texans, no really I'm a big fan. Sorry about the Alamo."

When they brought out the Tweak Bird drum set Maynard approached it and stared at it then walked around it, leaned over as if reading a license plate, pulled out a pad and wrote it a ticket which he placed on the high hat stand. When the drummer came out he said something about him being "Armed and Dangerous" then after the song he said "This is a handicap zone, get that shit out of here."

During Vicarious when Adams guitar malfunctioned EVERYTHING stopped, Justin walked to Maynard, Maynard said into the mic, "Adam broke his guitar...you do it." Then he sang the guitar part. When Adam came back his tech had to physically hold some inputs on his pedalboard together while he played, something must have shorted out. The distortion was also different when he came back I think they had to disconnect an effect or two. Adam had a short cord tonight, he kept pulling on it and walking to the end of it, then acted surprised when he ran out of slack. He tried to approach Justin during LK but couldn't make it for his guitar cord. Something must have been up with his stuff. Still no complaints the malfunction made it memorable.

Lateralus was everything it always has been, nothing short of amazing. Flood was my highlight, such an old song yet still so right!

When Maynard came out in his skivies I saw his tattoo on his back. It really made me kind of nostalgic seeing that tattoo, its so old school Maynard and really made my mind bridge the gap between past Maynard and current Maynard. Its still him just the 40 year old version, but its him and tonight he was in rare form... Thank you Maynard, Adam, Danny and Justin!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynardism time.
After Jambi "I have a mission for everyone, look out for each other. How will you do that, pretend they are your roomates, and this is your new home. Everyone hold up your right hand so your palm faces the back of the room and repeat after me. Say don't scream "Welcome Home" (the venue goes silent) one, two, three "WELCOME HOME." " Stinkfist begins promptly.

Also after Jambi "Thank for coming, and thank you for being Texans, no really I'm a big fan. Sorry about the Alamo."

When they brought out the Tweak Bird drum set Maynard approached it and stared at it then walked around it, leaned over as if reading a license plate, pulled out a pad and wrote it a ticket which he placed on the high hat stand. When the drummer came out he said something about him being "Armed and Dangerous" then after the song he said "This is a handicap zone, get that shit out of here."

During Vicarious when Adams guitar malfunctioned EVERYTHING stopped, Justin walked to Maynard, Maynard said into the mic, "Adam broke his guitar...you do it." Then he sang the guitar part. When Adam came back his tech had to physically hold some inputs on his pedalboard together while he played, something must have shorted out. The distortion was also different when he came back I think they had to disconnect an effect or two. Adam had a short cord tonight, he kept pulling on it and walking to the end of it, then acted surprised when he ran out of slack. He tried to approach Justin during LK but couldn't make it for his guitar cord. Something must have been up with his stuff. Still no complaints the malfunction made it memorable.

Lateralus was everything it always has been, nothing short of amazing. Flood was my highlight, such an old song yet still so right!

When Maynard came out in his skivies I saw his tattoo on his back. It really made me kind of nostalgic seeing that tattoo, its so old school Maynard and really made my mind bridge the gap between past Maynard and current Maynard. Its still him just the 40 year old version, but its him and tonight he was in rare form... Thank you Maynard, Adam, Danny and Justin!
OFFLINE |  
prater
07-25-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster21 View Post

I noticed that too, I used to work there so I thought it was just in my head since I used to see that logo daily.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster21 View Post

I noticed that too, I used to work there so I thought it was just in my head since I used to see that logo daily.
OFFLINE |  
pmclem02
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM

Review:
Great show. The band was in top form, and I've never heard Maynard sound any better than he did tonight. He hit high notes and he held them. The addition of the lasers to Rosetta Stoned was great. Justin was funny with his hat and his little dance during the Lateralus build up, and Maynard was comical when Adam's guitar stopped working.

Now my feelings on Maynard:

I have only been a tool fan for about 3-4 years now. I was raised in christian home and I didn't know anything about them. I grew up listening to oldies and christian music.

I branched out to country music first, and got over that really quick. Then rap and hip-hop which was gone even quicker. Then I got into rock. For a long time my favorite band was Godsmack. I knew of tool by that point, but I really hadn't listened to them, and they seemed too wierd and complicated to me.

Finally a friend at work convinced me to really listen, and thankfully it finally got through to me and I found out what I'd been missing. That was not too long before 10,000 days came out. When I first really got into the band, I definitely god-worshipped Maynard for a period of time.

So with that in mind, I obviously never went to any of the old shows. I have, however, watched several performances on youtube. I went to 4 shows last tour, and I just went to Nokia tonight.

Maybe some people who experienced the pre-10,000 Days shows could enlighten me, but I don't feel like I have seen Maynard at a concert yet. I feel like I'm seeing a character that he plays. He's sounded great at every show, and tonight was the best I've ever heard him sound. There's nothing wrong with that.

But he does and says almost the same exact things every night. I don't know, I just get the distinct feeling that he hates what he becomes to try to please us. I almost feel like he's disgusted with himself for pandering to us.

I don't know if it was the same at the old shows, I wish I could've seen them.

Now I'm not saying that he has to like us or be friendly at all. I moved past my Maynard worship not too long after the last tour was over. It's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say, but I'll give it a go.

When I finally got into tool, I got into it because they were the best band I'd ever heard. Their songs weren't just simple with catchy beats and lyrics that were meaningless. Their songs provoked thought and self reflection. They inspired. Some of the lyrics seemed to put into words how I already felt about certain things. Quite simply, it was like no musical experience I had ever felt.

So when I see the lead singer of this band, who had a huge hand in creating this unique music which I liked because it was so genuine, on stage night after night playing a character which is the antithesis of what he represents in his music I just feel let down by it. I almost pity him. I want him to be able to be himself, and not have to whore himself out to us. I don't want him to have to change to try to make us happy.

I've never met Maynard, I don't know Maynard and I'm unlikely to ever accomplish either of those things. Obviously I don't know who the man is or what he's really like. But I know the man can bring it like a mother fucker, and that should be enough.

A lot of the reviews I read for these shows talk about Maynard having checked out and not caring anymore. The fact that these people type these things shows that they care WAY too much about Maynard.

To be honest, I don't want more from Maynard. I want nothing more or nothing less than just Maynard. I'd like to see a concert where he's just himself, not the character that he's been playing at the shows for the 10,000 days tour into this tour.

Please people that were fortunate enough to have been to the shows in the past, is this what he was like back then? Was he a character, or was he just a reclusive, badass lead singer of a badass rock band? Given the choice, I'll take the latter.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Review:
Great show. The band was in top form, and I've never heard Maynard sound any better than he did tonight. He hit high notes and he held them. The addition of the lasers to Rosetta Stoned was great. Justin was funny with his hat and his little dance during the Lateralus build up, and Maynard was comical when Adam's guitar stopped working.

I have only been a tool fan for about 3-4 years now. I was raised in christian home and I didn't know anything about them. I grew up listening to oldies and christian music.

I branched out to country music first, and got over that really quick. Then rap and hip-hop which was gone even quicker. Then I got into rock. For a long time my favorite band was Godsmack. I knew of tool by that point, but I really hadn't listened to them, and they seemed too wierd and complicated to me.

Finally a friend at work convinced me to really listen, and thankfully it finally got through to me and I found out what I'd been missing. That was not too long before 10,000 days came out. When I first really got into the band, I definitely god-worshipped Maynard for a period of time.

So with that in mind, I obviously never went to any of the old shows. I have, however, watched several performances on youtube. I went to 4 shows last tour, and I just went to Nokia tonight.

Maybe some people who experienced the pre-10,000 Days shows could enlighten me, but I don't feel like I have seen Maynard at a concert yet. I feel like I'm seeing a character that he plays. He's sounded great at every show, and tonight was the best I've ever heard him sound. There's nothing wrong with that.

But he does and says almost the same exact things every night. I don't know, I just get the distinct feeling that he hates what he becomes to try to please us. I almost feel like he's disgusted with himself for pandering to us.

Now I'm not saying that he has to like us or be friendly at all. I moved past my Maynard worship not too long after the last tour was over. It's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say, but I'll give it a go.

When I finally got into tool, I got into it because they were the best band I'd ever heard. Their songs weren't just simple with catchy beats and lyrics that were meaningless. Their songs provoked thought and self reflection. They inspired. Some of the lyrics seemed to put into words how I already felt about certain things. Quite simply, it was like no musical experience I had ever felt.

So when I see the lead singer of this band, who had a huge hand in creating this unique music which I liked because it was so genuine, on stage night after night playing a character which is the antithesis of what he represents in his music I just feel let down by it. I almost pity him. I want him to be able to be himself, and not have to whore himself out to us. I don't want him to have to change to try to make us happy.

I've never met Maynard, I don't know Maynard and I'm unlikely to ever accomplish either of those things. Obviously I don't know who the man is or what he's really like. But I know the man can bring it like a mother fucker, and that should be enough.

A lot of the reviews I read for these shows talk about Maynard having checked out and not caring anymore. The fact that these people type these things shows that they care WAY too much about Maynard.

To be honest, I don't want more from Maynard. I want nothing more or nothing less than just Maynard. I'd like to see a concert where he's just himself, not the character that he's been playing at the shows for the 10,000 days tour into this tour.

Please people that were fortunate enough to have been to the shows in the past, is this what he was like back then? Was he a character, or was he just a reclusive, badass lead singer of a badass rock band? Given the choice, I'll take the latter.
OFFLINE |  
rockusJ
07-25-2009, 11:28 PM

real simple. Maynard is one/fourth of the band. No more, no less. Like most frontmen, he garnered lots of attention early on (he IS very talented) and decided to make sure everyone in the band got the respect and attention they deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclem02 View Post
Review:

Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

real simple. Maynard is one/fourth of the band. No more, no less. Like most frontmen, he garnered lots of attention early on (he IS very talented) and decided to make sure everyone in the band got the respect and attention they deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclem02 View Post
Review:

OFFLINE |  
prater
07-26-2009, 12:23 AM

Maynard is how he has always been, hot and cold, sarcastic as shit and really the antithesis of a rockstar... which he is, I saw the Lataralus tour, five shows on the 10k days tour and was there tonight and I must say, Maynard was not acting tonight, he was being himself, thats just Maynard for you. I saw Maynard in 2006 sick as shit and obviously acting. Tonight was him, for sure. Like I said its just a 40 year old version of him, so there are obviously some differences. I'm sure nobody is the same at 40 as they were at 23. He's still himself and tonight was honestly the happiest I've ever seen him in concert, he appeared genuinely happy. Maynard does not want worship, that started happening so he put himself in the back of the stage. Every night when he leaves the other three guys to take in the applause, hes not being an asshole, he's letting the other guys take center stage. Theres so much focus on Maynard when it comes to Tool, sure us die hard fans recognize the other guys, but most moderate Tool fans focus only on Maynard. He's said before its not about him, there are three other guys in the band. So I think his attitude can be perceived wrong but its still the same message, Maynard is humble, he loves to perform obviously, or he wouldn't get up there and dance and tell us stories and be animated. But I don't think he's big on affection. Tonight he danced and talked and joked with the band. He was there in a way I've never seen. I've seen him with APC, at wine signings and with Tool and he's always the same, even with APC he disappeared when the show was over. He's an unwilling celebrity, he wants people to focus on his art not his persona. I can respect that and for the first time in a long time I can finally see that he reciprocates that respect in his own way.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard is how he has always been, hot and cold, sarcastic as shit and really the antithesis of a rockstar... which he is, I saw the Lataralus tour, five shows on the 10k days tour and was there tonight and I must say, Maynard was not acting tonight, he was being himself, thats just Maynard for you. I saw Maynard in 2006 sick as shit and obviously acting. Tonight was him, for sure. Like I said its just a 40 year old version of him, so there are obviously some differences. I'm sure nobody is the same at 40 as they were at 23. He's still himself and tonight was honestly the happiest I've ever seen him in concert, he appeared genuinely happy. Maynard does not want worship, that started happening so he put himself in the back of the stage. Every night when he leaves the other three guys to take in the applause, hes not being an asshole, he's letting the other guys take center stage. Theres so much focus on Maynard when it comes to Tool, sure us die hard fans recognize the other guys, but most moderate Tool fans focus only on Maynard. He's said before its not about him, there are three other guys in the band. So I think his attitude can be perceived wrong but its still the same message, Maynard is humble, he loves to perform obviously, or he wouldn't get up there and dance and tell us stories and be animated. But I don't think he's big on affection. Tonight he danced and talked and joked with the band. He was there in a way I've never seen. I've seen him with APC, at wine signings and with Tool and he's always the same, even with APC he disappeared when the show was over. He's an unwilling celebrity, he wants people to focus on his art not his persona. I can respect that and for the first time in a long time I can finally see that he reciprocates that respect in his own way.
OFFLINE |  
Fundamental_Difference
07-26-2009, 12:25 AM

First time poster on this site. Been a lurker for several years. Appreciate all the information, everyone's opinions, and Tool love.

I've seen Tool live eight times over the years, starting with their gig at Lolla years ago. So, I've been around long enough to see the musical and artistic progression in all its glory. Grateful to have been a witness to the band's mastery, it's hard for me to criticize such an amazing collection of performers - my favorite band, Tool.

However, I wouldn't be a good fan if I merely praised the band according to yesterday's merits. Has Tool blown me away in the past? Absolutely. Hell, I drove all the way to Bonnaroo just to see them - from Dallas to Tenn. One of the best Tool experiences, ever. That being said, tonight's show was their worst performance (that I've seen). I am not one of those fans who expects his favorite band to stagnate with the same damn songs on every tour, because I understand that creative people create and destroy; thus, they grow ... and sometimes outgrow yesterday's creation or masterpiece. Cool? Cool.

Why was it the worst show?

1. Maynard's vocals were horrible. Muffled, out of sync with the music, weak, and drowned away in a sea of noise. Though more playful with the crowd, his lyrical delivery - due to sound issues or whatever - was almost sad. It wasn't Nokia, because I've seen plenty of bands at this venue. Either Maynard had an off night or the soundboard dude needs to be fired. People have off nights. So be it.

2. Was Justin drunk or something? Man, I've never seen him screw up so many times. He'd quit playing when out of rhythm with Adam and then, wow, use pick scrapes as filler material. Normally, you'll see Adam and Justin glancing at each other and the drums, trying to get in sync. I only saw that two or three times and the results were obvious tp anyone paying attention: Justin was way off more than a few times. At one point, it looked like Adam glanced over at Justin, with a glare ... disbelief.

3. Light show and sound effect filler material. Minor, minor differences in comparison to the previous tour. That's fine and all, but if the tour is promoted as some special show, it takes more than minor adjustments to appease the hardcore fanbase (at least those who refuse to blindly bow to yesterday's greatness if today's standards are compromised - and, honestly, isn't that what Tool is all about: challenging what you see and hear?)

4. Song choice/Setlist. Lord, here we go again. No, wait. Just hear me out. I don't expect Tool to play all of Opiate or Undertow, but I do expect them to replace two critical songs from the previous tour, from the latest album (Wings/10,000). If they choose to remove two songs from the last tour and this is a mini-tour of the last tour, shouldn't they add two new songs to the setlist? I don't care if it is Pushit, Third Eye, Right In Two, Part of Me, Crawl Away ... whatever. Do something to replace those two enjoyable songs. Surprise the crowd with a special treat.

Tool is an ever-growing persona. I dig it. Hell, I like it. But I want more than more of the same on a new tour, even if it is a mini-tour. Will I go see Tool again, buy another album, etc.? Of course. I have bad days at work. The same can happen with a band. Might have been a bad night. I mean, I know I am not alone in these declarations, as plenty of fans during and after the concert were stunned - not by the greatness but by the unfulfilled anticipation.

Anyone who defends tonight's performance has either lost their own vision and judgement or hasn't soon TOOL at its best. I'm not trying to be rude, if someone disagrees, but as a longtime fan and concert goer, I know the difference between settling and exceeding expectations. Tonight I settled because Tool went through the motions, did what they had to do, and got the f'out of town. You would think some time off would re-energize the band, but they took a step back. Why tour if that's the case? I am used to the TOOL that goes all out ... or doesn't go at all.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

First time poster on this site. Been a lurker for several years. Appreciate all the information, everyone's opinions, and Tool love.

I've seen Tool live eight times over the years, starting with their gig at Lolla years ago. So, I've been around long enough to see the musical and artistic progression in all its glory. Grateful to have been a witness to the band's mastery, it's hard for me to criticize such an amazing collection of performers - my favorite band, Tool.

However, I wouldn't be a good fan if I merely praised the band according to yesterday's merits. Has Tool blown me away in the past? Absolutely. Hell, I drove all the way to Bonnaroo just to see them - from Dallas to Tenn. One of the best Tool experiences, ever. That being said, tonight's show was their worst performance (that I've seen). I am not one of those fans who expects his favorite band to stagnate with the same damn songs on every tour, because I understand that creative people create and destroy; thus, they grow ... and sometimes outgrow yesterday's creation or masterpiece. Cool? Cool.

Why was it the worst show?

1. Maynard's vocals were horrible. Muffled, out of sync with the music, weak, and drowned away in a sea of noise. Though more playful with the crowd, his lyrical delivery - due to sound issues or whatever - was almost sad. It wasn't Nokia, because I've seen plenty of bands at this venue. Either Maynard had an off night or the soundboard dude needs to be fired. People have off nights. So be it.

2. Was Justin drunk or something? Man, I've never seen him screw up so many times. He'd quit playing when out of rhythm with Adam and then, wow, use pick scrapes as filler material. Normally, you'll see Adam and Justin glancing at each other and the drums, trying to get in sync. I only saw that two or three times and the results were obvious tp anyone paying attention: Justin was way off more than a few times. At one point, it looked like Adam glanced over at Justin, with a glare ... disbelief.

3. Light show and sound effect filler material. Minor, minor differences in comparison to the previous tour. That's fine and all, but if the tour is promoted as some special show, it takes more than minor adjustments to appease the hardcore fanbase (at least those who refuse to blindly bow to yesterday's greatness if today's standards are compromised - and, honestly, isn't that what Tool is all about: challenging what you see and hear?)

4. Song choice/Setlist. Lord, here we go again. No, wait. Just hear me out. I don't expect Tool to play all of Opiate or Undertow, but I do expect them to replace two critical songs from the previous tour, from the latest album (Wings/10,000). If they choose to remove two songs from the last tour and this is a mini-tour of the last tour, shouldn't they add two new songs to the setlist? I don't care if it is Pushit, Third Eye, Right In Two, Part of Me, Crawl Away ... whatever. Do something to replace those two enjoyable songs. Surprise the crowd with a special treat.

Tool is an ever-growing persona. I dig it. Hell, I like it. But I want more than more of the same on a new tour, even if it is a mini-tour. Will I go see Tool again, buy another album, etc.? Of course. I have bad days at work. The same can happen with a band. Might have been a bad night. I mean, I know I am not alone in these declarations, as plenty of fans during and after the concert were stunned - not by the greatness but by the unfulfilled anticipation.

Anyone who defends tonight's performance has either lost their own vision and judgement or hasn't soon TOOL at its best. I'm not trying to be rude, if someone disagrees, but as a longtime fan and concert goer, I know the difference between settling and exceeding expectations. Tonight I settled because Tool went through the motions, did what they had to do, and got the f'out of town. You would think some time off would re-energize the band, but they took a step back. Why tour if that's the case? I am used to the TOOL that goes all out ... or doesn't go at all.

Just my opinion.
OFFLINE |  
gcarlet
07-26-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prater View Post
I agree completely. Good observations and viewpoint.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prater View Post
OFFLINE |  
rob82tx's Avatar rob82tx
07-26-2009, 07:00 AM

This was my fourth time seeing Tool. I scored a sweet seat in section 102 the day before the show on Ticketmaster (possibly by divine occurrence).

The Nokia is nestled in the middle of nowhere alongside a racetrack and a minor league ball park. Getting there One must navigate a series of red light cameras and upon arriving pay a parking attendant 15 dollars. I always ask them if a car wash is included with the fee.

A lot of people were tailgating but all I wanted to do was get out of the triple digit heat. I picked up my ticket at will-call and went through security. First thing I do is look at what is available at the merch booth. The shirts didn't impress me too much so the only thing I bought was the tour poster for the Nokia show. They are numbered and I got 350/350 (last one?).

I was aware of the set list on this tour but even that knowledge didn't dampen the night. The venue has a great sound system and it was LOUD. You could feel the sound of Danny's drums. Jambi is a great opener and then the (-) Ions lead-in to Stinkfist where MJK thanked us for "being Texans" was nice. I noticed after the extended part in Stinkfist they got out of sync just for a few moments but pulled it back together.

They must be Bob Dylan fans because just before intermission they all stand at attention in front of the stage receiving applause. Bob has been doing that for years at the end of his shows. That made me smile a bit.

They nailed Lateralus and then I attempted to record Vicarious on my iPhone sound recorder but apparently I didn't press record. Thought I did. Would have been nice because of Adam's rig malfunction. I really hope someone got video of that because it was so funny! MJK just looked at Adam for a few seconds then told Justin he will do the guitar part with his mouth. Classic moment!

Great show! They all seemed in good spirits (except for Adam during Vicarious haha). I am really glad I got to see Flood. This was the closest I have been at a Tool concert and this show ranks right behind the time I saw them at OzzFest '98 in St. Louis.

Dallas 09/14/06

Fort Worth 05/16/07

Grand Prairie 07/25/09
Old 07-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my fourth time seeing Tool. I scored a sweet seat in section 102 the day before the show on Ticketmaster (possibly by divine occurrence).

The Nokia is nestled in the middle of nowhere alongside a racetrack and a minor league ball park. Getting there One must navigate a series of red light cameras and upon arriving pay a parking attendant 15 dollars. I always ask them if a car wash is included with the fee.

A lot of people were tailgating but all I wanted to do was get out of the triple digit heat. I picked up my ticket at will-call and went through security. First thing I do is look at what is available at the merch booth. The shirts didn't impress me too much so the only thing I bought was the tour poster for the Nokia show. They are numbered and I got 350/350 (last one?).

I was aware of the set list on this tour but even that knowledge didn't dampen the night. The venue has a great sound system and it was LOUD. You could feel the sound of Danny's drums. Jambi is a great opener and then the (-) Ions lead-in to Stinkfist where MJK thanked us for "being Texans" was nice. I noticed after the extended part in Stinkfist they got out of sync just for a few moments but pulled it back together.

They must be Bob Dylan fans because just before intermission they all stand at attention in front of the stage receiving applause. Bob has been doing that for years at the end of his shows. That made me smile a bit.

They nailed Lateralus and then I attempted to record Vicarious on my iPhone sound recorder but apparently I didn't press record. Thought I did. Would have been nice because of Adam's rig malfunction. I really hope someone got video of that because it was so funny! MJK just looked at Adam for a few seconds then told Justin he will do the guitar part with his mouth. Classic moment!

Great show! They all seemed in good spirits (except for Adam during Vicarious haha). I am really glad I got to see Flood. This was the closest I have been at a Tool concert and this show ranks right behind the time I saw them at OzzFest '98 in St. Louis.

Dallas 09/14/06

Fort Worth 05/16/07

Grand Prairie 07/25/09
OFFLINE |  
ZantheriaN
07-26-2009, 08:14 AM

This was my 5th time seein em, and the third time to see this show!
I lost my weed, so this was the first sober show ever. I spent $200 on shitty nosebleed seats
And another $100 to get me, my wife, and cousin in the pit. I was able to do this in '07 as well. But regardless of everything, it was a very
Memorable show. They started, once again, with Jambi. As soon as Justin started his riff, the place exploded!

I knew as soon as they announced the venue, that there were going to be some problems.
I've been to this Nikia countless times, I've seen APC there at least 4! Not to mention Manson, The Mars Volta, and many
Others. THEIR SOUND SYSTEM HAS ALWAYS SUCKED SWEATY DONKEY BALLS! This time there were way too many effects going through
Those under powered pieces of shit.

However, you cannot have a bad time in the pit of a TooL show, this was the most
fun I've had seeing them, and I totally agree that the technical issues added even more
To the tight ambiance of the night. The setlist was very similar to the other tours, with some
Small exceptions. They improvised almost at will, and the maynardisms were awesome, and I got a personal one
About midway through the show, I took advantage of a quiet moment and asked them , quite enthusiastically, to play something
Off of OPIATE! Maynard returned "huge fan, front and center!" DAMN RIGHT
That was the high lite of my evening!!! The drum battle between Ashton and Danny during Lateralus was amazing, and easily came in as the close
second! I really don't know why Maynard left right after Vicarious, he usually does stay
Out with the other guys. I'm sure he just had to piss, he is getting pretty old
And I don't think he could get that police uniform over his adult diaper!

P.S.
When I finally found my car, I got a blow job, and I found one of the
joints I lost, I turned out to be a very bad ass evening, even though I paid more
Money to get into a single show than my car payment, it was worth
Every penny, and I urge everyon to attend their tour date!

Last edited by ZantheriaN; 07-26-2009 at 08:22 AM..
Old 07-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 5th time seein em, and the third time to see this show!
I lost my weed, so this was the first sober show ever. I spent $200 on shitty nosebleed seats
And another $100 to get me, my wife, and cousin in the pit. I was able to do this in '07 as well. But regardless of everything, it was a very
Memorable show. They started, once again, with Jambi. As soon as Justin started his riff, the place exploded!

I knew as soon as they announced the venue, that there were going to be some problems.
I've been to this Nikia countless times, I've seen APC there at least 4! Not to mention Manson, The Mars Volta, and many
Others. THEIR SOUND SYSTEM HAS ALWAYS SUCKED SWEATY DONKEY BALLS! This time there were way too many effects going through
Those under powered pieces of shit.

However, you cannot have a bad time in the pit of a TooL show, this was the most
fun I've had seeing them, and I totally agree that the technical issues added even more
To the tight ambiance of the night. The setlist was very similar to the other tours, with some
Small exceptions. They improvised almost at will, and the maynardisms were awesome, and I got a personal one
About midway through the show, I took advantage of a quiet moment and asked them , quite enthusiastically, to play something
Off of OPIATE! Maynard returned "huge fan, front and center!" DAMN RIGHT
That was the high lite of my evening!!! The drum battle between Ashton and Danny during Lateralus was amazing, and easily came in as the close
second! I really don't know why Maynard left right after Vicarious, he usually does stay
Out with the other guys. I'm sure he just had to piss, he is getting pretty old
And I don't think he could get that police uniform over his adult diaper!

P.S.
When I finally found my car, I got a blow job, and I found one of the
joints I lost, I turned out to be a very bad ass evening, even though I paid more
Money to get into a single show than my car payment, it was worth
Every penny, and I urge everyon to attend their tour date!

Last edited by ZantheriaN; 07-26-2009 at 08:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Eulogy33's Avatar Eulogy33
07-26-2009, 09:05 AM

WOW. seriously...this was BY FAR the best TOOL show i've ever gone to. I loved that the venue was small and gave a cozy feeling. I FINALLY got pit tickets to their show and that helped make this the best show for me. I was at the very front against the gate right infront of Justin, close enough to see into his eyes. The people around me were great and i only got shoved a few times. Maynard and the guys were incredible and really brought this show to life. I loved how Justin and Maynard danced a few times and just acted crazy. Maynard seemed more talkative last night compared to the previous Ft Worth and Dallas show. The sound/visuals/ambience was beyond amazing despite the fact that the setlist was pretty predictable. still had a wonderful time though. I didnt even smoke beforehand and the music STILL made me high.

oh...and if i wasn't 4'11 i would have caught that fuckin drumstick that danny threw right infront of me!!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

WOW. seriously...this was BY FAR the best TOOL show i've ever gone to. I loved that the venue was small and gave a cozy feeling. I FINALLY got pit tickets to their show and that helped make this the best show for me. I was at the very front against the gate right infront of Justin, close enough to see into his eyes. The people around me were great and i only got shoved a few times. Maynard and the guys were incredible and really brought this show to life. I loved how Justin and Maynard danced a few times and just acted crazy. Maynard seemed more talkative last night compared to the previous Ft Worth and Dallas show. The sound/visuals/ambience was beyond amazing despite the fact that the setlist was pretty predictable. still had a wonderful time though. I didnt even smoke beforehand and the music STILL made me high.

oh...and if i wasn't 4'11 i would have caught that fuckin drumstick that danny threw right infront of me!!
07-26-2009, 09:42 AM

"DALLAS TOOL SHOW

is confirmed. Tickets will be on-sale this... Friday. One of the best Tool shows ever will be on JULY 25... at the NOKIA THEATER at GRAND PRAIRIE. And being that it's such a big state... who knows... maybe more."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a message from toolband.com that blair had put up when i saw this i bought the dallas tickets at impulse instead of the san antonio tickets, where i am originally from. when i saw this i was think "man this show is gonna have so many new songs that are new to the tour" or just something more spectacullar. the setlist turned out to be the same as the san antonio show, or every other show for that matter. but i have to admit it was a really good show, loved the interactions with the crowd, n loved flood and aenima the most cus of all the energy that was put into it. was a disapointed that it was the same setlist but, but very amazing show none-the-less.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

"DALLAS TOOL SHOW

is confirmed. Tickets will be on-sale this... Friday. One of the best Tool shows ever will be on JULY 25... at the NOKIA THEATER at GRAND PRAIRIE. And being that it's such a big state... who knows... maybe more."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a message from toolband.com that blair had put up when i saw this i bought the dallas tickets at impulse instead of the san antonio tickets, where i am originally from. when i saw this i was think "man this show is gonna have so many new songs that are new to the tour" or just something more spectacullar. the setlist turned out to be the same as the san antonio show, or every other show for that matter. but i have to admit it was a really good show, loved the interactions with the crowd, n loved flood and aenima the most cus of all the energy that was put into it. was a disapointed that it was the same setlist but, but very amazing show none-the-less.
OFFLINE |  
Tetanus Shot
07-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Great show -- my fourth TOOL concert. Crowd energy was fantastic. Maynards vocals were too low, especially at the very beginning. Nokia leaves much to be desired: no bathrooms on the upper level; urp in the water fountain for the entire show (doesn't anyone work here to clean up this stuff?)

Felt a little sorry for the guy near me who said it was it first concert ever. It's all downhill from here man.

Fan guidance:
Take your intermission break after Aenema.
Don't get totally blotto before the show, especially if you're in the steep nosebleed seats! I definitely could have done without the drunk blonde who knocked her boyfriend down on me from the seat behind. It's a good thing he didn't kill me, or the chick below me who I crashed into! Ow, my aching knee...

Tweakbird is like Rush, Pink Floyd, and Zepplin all rolled up into one. Best opening band I've seen in a looooong time.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show -- my fourth TOOL concert. Crowd energy was fantastic. Maynards vocals were too low, especially at the very beginning. Nokia leaves much to be desired: no bathrooms on the upper level; urp in the water fountain for the entire show (doesn't anyone work here to clean up this stuff?)

Felt a little sorry for the guy near me who said it was it first concert ever. It's all downhill from here man.

Fan guidance:
Take your intermission break after Aenema.
Don't get totally blotto before the show, especially if you're in the steep nosebleed seats! I definitely could have done without the drunk blonde who knocked her boyfriend down on me from the seat behind. It's a good thing he didn't kill me, or the chick below me who I crashed into! Ow, my aching knee...

Tweakbird is like Rush, Pink Floyd, and Zepplin all rolled up into one. Best opening band I've seen in a looooong time.
OFFLINE |  
Allan5656
07-26-2009, 11:04 AM

This was my first Tool show. I drove up from Austin to see it. I was totally blown away by the concert, and I won't repeat what others have already said. I don't know if I have ever seen a more enjoyable concert in my life.

Having said that, here's some of my observations.

I paid $200 for a seat in the row directly in front of the sound engineer. I thought the sound at that seat would be as good as any in the Nokia Theater, but I could barely "hear" Maynards vocals, due to what seemed to me was a bad mix. From the posts, it seems like others heard him much more clearly than I did. The sound was so loud, the bass drums vibrated my nostrils. That is not an exaggeration. The sound was LOUD, and I was disappointed that they chose loudness over quality. I couldn't tell you what words Maynard was saying or singing, and I certainly couldn't tell if Adam or Justin was out of sync at any point. Can anyone who has experience with sound engineering at a concert enlighten me on what the goal for the sound is? If loudness was the goal, then they did a good job!

As loud as the sound was, one of the coolest parts was that I could hear the crowd singing the lyrics during many of the songs. There's no doubt in my mind that the Nokia Theater had a high concentration of extremely hard core Tool fans. Surely the members of Tool are very appreciative of the Dallas crowd, which was the best group of fans I've seen at any concert. The great Dallas crowd was a big part of what made the evening so enjoyable for me.

The stage and light show was perfectly framed from my vantage point, which makes up for the sound problems. I knew the show would be visually stimulating, but I had no idea it would be that great. It was eye candy. True art.

Knowing what I now know, would I do it again? Without a doubt.

Last edited by Allan5656; 07-26-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: mispelling
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show. I drove up from Austin to see it. I was totally blown away by the concert, and I won't repeat what others have already said. I don't know if I have ever seen a more enjoyable concert in my life.

Having said that, here's some of my observations.

I paid $200 for a seat in the row directly in front of the sound engineer. I thought the sound at that seat would be as good as any in the Nokia Theater, but I could barely "hear" Maynards vocals, due to what seemed to me was a bad mix. From the posts, it seems like others heard him much more clearly than I did. The sound was so loud, the bass drums vibrated my nostrils. That is not an exaggeration. The sound was LOUD, and I was disappointed that they chose loudness over quality. I couldn't tell you what words Maynard was saying or singing, and I certainly couldn't tell if Adam or Justin was out of sync at any point. Can anyone who has experience with sound engineering at a concert enlighten me on what the goal for the sound is? If loudness was the goal, then they did a good job!

As loud as the sound was, one of the coolest parts was that I could hear the crowd singing the lyrics during many of the songs. There's no doubt in my mind that the Nokia Theater had a high concentration of extremely hard core Tool fans. Surely the members of Tool are very appreciative of the Dallas crowd, which was the best group of fans I've seen at any concert. The great Dallas crowd was a big part of what made the evening so enjoyable for me.

The stage and light show was perfectly framed from my vantage point, which makes up for the sound problems. I knew the show would be visually stimulating, but I had no idea it would be that great. It was eye candy. True art.

Knowing what I now know, would I do it again? Without a doubt.

Last edited by Allan5656; 07-26-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: mispelling
OFFLINE |  
pmclem02
07-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarlet View Post
Thanks guys. That's what I wanted: opinions from people who saw him before.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarlet View Post
Thanks guys. That's what I wanted: opinions from people who saw him before.
OFFLINE |  
darwin420
07-26-2009, 11:25 AM

$100 nosebleed ticket, 10 songs....$40 t-shirts...hmmmmm...."Hooker with a Penis" anyone!
Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter but I miss the days when Maynard was an actual "front" man, instead of a "hide in the dark by the drums" man. This was my 9th Tool show since I first saw them live back in '96.

As I looked around the crowd I soon realized that 70-80 % of the people there were 5-10 years younger than me(30), which surprised me, and probably don't realize how amazing their live shows used to be. After paying $40 for a cotton t-shirt maybe they felt compelled to view it as the best show of their life.

No, the Dallas show wasn't terrible or anything but definitely not my favorite.

Everything that has already been posted is accurate: sounded good, Maynard was chatty, Justin danced, Danny was awesome as usual, drum duo was very cool, visuals were cool, etc.

To me, Tool is the kind of band you feel deep in your "soul"(quotes cause I don't believe in souls). Their musical talent is extraordinary, lyrical composition is unmatched, overall originality is untouchable.

I first heard them when I was 14 in '94 and was instantly hooked when I heard "sober" and "prison sex". I've been to every Dallas show they have played since then. This concert was my least favorite since the Lateralus tour when Maynard decided to keep his back to the stage and hide behind a sheet.

I will go to their next concert so long as it supports a new record. But, to be honest, rather than pay $135 for a shit seat, 2 beers, and parking......I'd rather grab a cold beer, a joint, and sit in my car rocking out for two hours for a grand total of about $10.

I'm sure I'll get ripped on for this post...."bands change", "your not a real Tool fan", "Maynard was awesome", "you don't know shit"....blah, blah, blah.....like I said, Tool is a band you feel, if your a fan, your a fan. I guess I sort of feel like the friend or relative that tells you something you don't want to hear, but once you think about you realize they're right and they told you cause they love you

Overall one word review: STANDARD
Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

$100 nosebleed ticket, 10 songs....$40 t-shirts...hmmmmm...."Hooker with a Penis" anyone!
Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter but I miss the days when Maynard was an actual "front" man, instead of a "hide in the dark by the drums" man. This was my 9th Tool show since I first saw them live back in '96.

As I looked around the crowd I soon realized that 70-80 % of the people there were 5-10 years younger than me(30), which surprised me, and probably don't realize how amazing their live shows used to be. After paying $40 for a cotton t-shirt maybe they felt compelled to view it as the best show of their life.

No, the Dallas show wasn't terrible or anything but definitely not my favorite.

Everything that has already been posted is accurate: sounded good, Maynard was chatty, Justin danced, Danny was awesome as usual, drum duo was very cool, visuals were cool, etc.

To me, Tool is the kind of band you feel deep in your "soul"(quotes cause I don't believe in souls). Their musical talent is extraordinary, lyrical composition is unmatched, overall originality is untouchable.

I first heard them when I was 14 in '94 and was instantly hooked when I heard "sober" and "prison sex". I've been to every Dallas show they have played since then. This concert was my least favorite since the Lateralus tour when Maynard decided to keep his back to the stage and hide behind a sheet.

I will go to their next concert so long as it supports a new record. But, to be honest, rather than pay $135 for a shit seat, 2 beers, and parking......I'd rather grab a cold beer, a joint, and sit in my car rocking out for two hours for a grand total of about $10.

I'm sure I'll get ripped on for this post...."bands change", "your not a real Tool fan", "Maynard was awesome", "you don't know shit"....blah, blah, blah.....like I said, Tool is a band you feel, if your a fan, your a fan. I guess I sort of feel like the friend or relative that tells you something you don't want to hear, but once you think about you realize they're right and they told you cause they love you

Overall one word review: STANDARD
OFFLINE |  
jnation
07-26-2009, 11:42 AM

This was the first time I had seen Tool since Lollapalooza 97. Back then I remember Maynard being a real character wearing a leotard and an orphan annie wig. Nonetheless the Dallas show was absolutely amazing. Tool sounded great and the laser and lights were awesome. I did find one thing strange though. I went to go get and another beer right at the beginning of lost keys and found the beer stand was shutting down. I asked them why since it was only 9:30. They said they were shutting it down at the bands request. I found that kind of strange. All in all it was a kickass show and I will never miss a Tool show from now on.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the first time I had seen Tool since Lollapalooza 97. Back then I remember Maynard being a real character wearing a leotard and an orphan annie wig. Nonetheless the Dallas show was absolutely amazing. Tool sounded great and the laser and lights were awesome. I did find one thing strange though. I went to go get and another beer right at the beginning of lost keys and found the beer stand was shutting down. I asked them why since it was only 9:30. They said they were shutting it down at the bands request. I found that kind of strange. All in all it was a kickass show and I will never miss a Tool show from now on.
OFFLINE |  
TOOLwrench's Avatar TOOLwrench
07-26-2009, 12:37 PM

This was my 7th TOOL show. I had rail and was directly in front of Justin. I was probably the 10th person to walk into the pit area around 7pm and stood waiting with sweaty palms til 9pm. Show was great. a couple times a guitar pic and drum stick wizzed right by me. when it was all over a guitar tech walked right up to me and my girl and handed her a guitar pic. NICE! The pit was great,not violent at all! That was a first for pit! I had rail on both lateralus shows i saw and i can say i like it best there,up close where i can see facial expressions. i dont care what anyone says i love that they keep stinkfist and 46n2 in the setlist. Maynards cop outfit was funny,writing tweakbird a ticket! Great night! walked in the door at 4:30 in the morning!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

This was my 7th TOOL show. I had rail and was directly in front of Justin. I was probably the 10th person to walk into the pit area around 7pm and stood waiting with sweaty palms til 9pm. Show was great. a couple times a guitar pic and drum stick wizzed right by me. when it was all over a guitar tech walked right up to me and my girl and handed her a guitar pic. NICE! The pit was great,not violent at all! That was a first for pit! I had rail on both lateralus shows i saw and i can say i like it best there,up close where i can see facial expressions. i dont care what anyone says i love that they keep stinkfist and 46n2 in the setlist. Maynards cop outfit was funny,writing tweakbird a ticket! Great night! walked in the door at 4:30 in the morning!
OFFLINE |  
dave-tx
07-26-2009, 12:51 PM

10th show, 2nd of the tour.

Although the sound was better than the previous night at San Antonio (at least from where I was sitting), I would have to say that it was a little bit of a downer to get the exact same setlist. Seems that if you're playing two nights back to back within driving distance, you could at least throw something in there. As someone else mentioned, how about a replacement for Wings I/II? This setlist is pretty much the boilerplate setlist without the epic tour songs (Wings I/II, Disposition/Reflection/Triad). Not that the boilerplate setlist isn't enjoyable, but it's like all appetizer and no main course. Rant over.

Tool continues to pick good opening acts (and if you're skipping Tweak Bird, you're missing out).

I thought Maynard was in better vocal form in Dallas than in San Antonio. SA's Rosetta Stoned was...bizarre. Or at least that's how it sounded to me. Hopefully some recordings will surface and confirm that I actually heard what I thought I heard.

As Fundamental_Difference pointed out, there were more musical flubs tonight (and last night) than I remember hearing in any of the 10k shows I attended. Nothing egregious, but noticeable.

I guess my overall feeling after these two shows is...Well, it was still a Tool concert, which is pretty goddam great. But maybe I won't see multiple nights on the same tour again.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm sure I will.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Although the sound was better than the previous night at San Antonio (at least from where I was sitting), I would have to say that it was a little bit of a downer to get the exact same setlist. Seems that if you're playing two nights back to back within driving distance, you could at least throw something in there. As someone else mentioned, how about a replacement for Wings I/II? This setlist is pretty much the boilerplate setlist without the epic tour songs (Wings I/II, Disposition/Reflection/Triad). Not that the boilerplate setlist isn't enjoyable, but it's like all appetizer and no main course. Rant over.

Tool continues to pick good opening acts (and if you're skipping Tweak Bird, you're missing out).

I thought Maynard was in better vocal form in Dallas than in San Antonio. SA's Rosetta Stoned was...bizarre. Or at least that's how it sounded to me. Hopefully some recordings will surface and confirm that I actually heard what I thought I heard.

As Fundamental_Difference pointed out, there were more musical flubs tonight (and last night) than I remember hearing in any of the 10k shows I attended. Nothing egregious, but noticeable.

I guess my overall feeling after these two shows is...Well, it was still a Tool concert, which is pretty goddam great. But maybe I won't see multiple nights on the same tour again.

OFFLINE |  
Fundamental_Difference
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-tx View Post

I'm right there with you.
Regardless of the Maynard's vocal issues and some the musical mishaps, I will be at the next Tool show that comes to a Texas city. No doubt about it.
An off night with Tool is superior to a brilliant night for 99% of the bands out there.
And seeing as I also love the music itself, I could live with seeing the other three members without Maynard (though it would be strange).
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-tx View Post

I'm right there with you.
Regardless of the Maynard's vocal issues and some the musical mishaps, I will be at the next Tool show that comes to a Texas city. No doubt about it.
An off night with Tool is superior to a brilliant night for 99% of the bands out there.
And seeing as I also love the music itself, I could live with seeing the other three members without Maynard (though it would be strange).
OFFLINE |  
MelbaToast454
07-26-2009, 01:56 PM

best concert out of the 5 ive seen by far!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

best concert out of the 5 ive seen by far!
OFFLINE |  
Sir.LondonClean-Lily
07-26-2009, 02:53 PM

I was given a ticket for FREE by I believe the user "kanaduh". I just wanted to say THANKS a million! I had to create a new user name because I forgot my old password on here. If it wasn't "kanaduh" and it was someone else reading this I just wanted to say THANKS a lot!!!! The people who gave me a ticket was a group of 1 guy and 2 girls who were guest of Danny. I enjoyed the show a ton! Most anything I can mention has already been said. Maynard's mouth-guitar solo was incredible. Anyways, If whomever gave me the ticket (kanahuh, pikachu, jigabo, or whatever name it was) is reading this THANKS AGAIN (for the millionth time). If you are EVER in Dallas for a show or whatever reason hit me up at [email protected] before hand and I will be sure and meet up to buy you are beer or a coffee or a fucking jamba juice if you want! I really thought of your actions during Maynard's roomate mentality speech! Hope everyone had fun! -SLC
Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

I was given a ticket for FREE by I believe the user "kanaduh". I just wanted to say THANKS a million! I had to create a new user name because I forgot my old password on here. If it wasn't "kanaduh" and it was someone else reading this I just wanted to say THANKS a lot!!!! The people who gave me a ticket was a group of 1 guy and 2 girls who were guest of Danny. I enjoyed the show a ton! Most anything I can mention has already been said. Maynard's mouth-guitar solo was incredible. Anyways, If whomever gave me the ticket (kanahuh, pikachu, jigabo, or whatever name it was) is reading this THANKS AGAIN (for the millionth time). If you are EVER in Dallas for a show or whatever reason hit me up at [email protected] before hand and I will be sure and meet up to buy you are beer or a coffee or a fucking jamba juice if you want! I really thought of your actions during Maynard's roomate mentality speech! Hope everyone had fun! -SLC
OFFLINE |  
hboghbog0
07-26-2009, 03:12 PM

This was my 8th Tool show and this was a much better show than the night before even though the setlist was exactly the same. My friend and I were in the pit and we parked ourselves almost directly in front of Adam. I had only one (tiny) person between me and the rail. I had an excellent vantage point to see how he played all the songs, which was mesmerizing. It was hard to pull myself away to watch any of the other band members. Adam seemed almost disinterested for the whole show except for when his guitar stopped working towards the end of Vicarious. For the additional Schism riff, Justin and Adam looked at each other and then Justin pointed at himself indicating that he was going to start the double-time riff. Justin wore the same big goofy cowboy hat during Lateralus. Rosetta Stoned is still a bunch of gibberish. Good stuff.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 8th Tool show and this was a much better show than the night before even though the setlist was exactly the same. My friend and I were in the pit and we parked ourselves almost directly in front of Adam. I had only one (tiny) person between me and the rail. I had an excellent vantage point to see how he played all the songs, which was mesmerizing. It was hard to pull myself away to watch any of the other band members. Adam seemed almost disinterested for the whole show except for when his guitar stopped working towards the end of Vicarious. For the additional Schism riff, Justin and Adam looked at each other and then Justin pointed at himself indicating that he was going to start the double-time riff. Justin wore the same big goofy cowboy hat during Lateralus. Rosetta Stoned is still a bunch of gibberish. Good stuff.
OFFLINE |  
Elton John
07-26-2009, 03:15 PM

By far the best crowd i have ever seen in 10 years of tool concerts.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #39
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

By far the best crowd i have ever seen in 10 years of tool concerts.
OFFLINE |  
plexus's Avatar plexus
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM

wow.
ditto to what they said.
awesome. mucho highlights. mucho gusto. anyone complaining at all... i just dont know what to say to you guys. fuck you. i was in the front row of the pit right in front of justin.
my 7th tool show. probobly the shortest setlist, but still probobly my favorite. theyve evolved to a new hight with their shows. when you think they cant top themselves they do. they have a presence, that takes form right on the first hits of jambi. perfection.

maynard on vicarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rsxfosAPU
Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

wow.
ditto to what they said.
awesome. mucho highlights. mucho gusto. anyone complaining at all... i just dont know what to say to you guys. fuck you. i was in the front row of the pit right in front of justin.
my 7th tool show. probobly the shortest setlist, but still probobly my favorite. theyve evolved to a new hight with their shows. when you think they cant top themselves they do. they have a presence, that takes form right on the first hits of jambi. perfection.

maynard on vicarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rsxfosAPU
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply