Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
rachmiel4's Avatar rachmiel4
04-29-2006, 03:43 PM

I think others have made the observation that 10,000 days, in addition to being the approximate duration of maynard's mom's suffering, being 27.4 years, is close to the period of a saturn return (saturn's orbital cycle)...

I noticed in another thread that the theory had been pitched that this was some sort of "apology" album for tool, in other words, that it was some kind of a way of analyzing what they've produced in the past and putting it into perspective... i tend to agree from the lyrical content,

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=44685

But it may go further than lyrical content. Saturn in astrology, read up on it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_return is an okay starting point...

well, halfway through saturn's orbital cycle of the sun is about 14 years, give or take a little bit of time (nothing has to be exact, this analysis is artistic not scientific)... this places it in _opposition_ to its original position, or on the cusp of its 7th house, which in the zodiac is libra... libra/7th house among other things represents objectivity, self-criticism, backpedaling, moderation, reaction, etc. etc. etc.

opiate came out about 14 years ago

read into this as you may
Old 04-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 43
Holy crap, 10,000 days = approx. 2x tool's duration?

I think others have made the observation that 10,000 days, in addition to being the approximate duration of maynard's mom's suffering, being 27.4 years, is close to the period of a saturn return (saturn's orbital cycle)...

I noticed in another thread that the theory had been pitched that this was some sort of "apology" album for tool, in other words, that it was some kind of a way of analyzing what they've produced in the past and putting it into perspective... i tend to agree from the lyrical content,

But it may go further than lyrical content. Saturn in astrology, read up on it...

well, halfway through saturn's orbital cycle of the sun is about 14 years, give or take a little bit of time (nothing has to be exact, this analysis is artistic not scientific)... this places it in _opposition_ to its original position, or on the cusp of its 7th house, which in the zodiac is libra... libra/7th house among other things represents objectivity, self-criticism, backpedaling, moderation, reaction, etc. etc. etc.

OFFLINE |  
pseud0
04-29-2006, 03:52 PM

tool make some pleasing music don't they
Old 04-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Holy crap, 10,000 days = approx. 2x tool's duration?

tool make some pleasing music don't they
OFFLINE |  
BDT's Avatar BDT
04-29-2006, 04:02 PM

Yes there is time to talk about this later, lets just listen.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
BDT
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Yes there is time to talk about this later, lets just listen.
OFFLINE |  
.TP's Avatar .TP
04-29-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmiel4

holy shit... you cracked it!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
.TP
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1929

Quote:

holy shit... you cracked it!
OFFLINE |  
Lamb & Martyr^'s Avatar Lamb & Martyr^
04-29-2006, 05:37 PM

genious
Old 04-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

genious
04-29-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb & Martyr^
genious
Possibly the worst typo you can make in a sarcastic post.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb & Martyr^
genious
04-29-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault
Maybe it's a hidden message... indicating that his post isn't sarcastic at all! the "o" symbolizes positivity, a circle of love
Old 04-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault
Maybe it's a hidden message... indicating that his post isn't sarcastic at all! the "o" symbolizes positivity, a circle of love
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM

haha.. i stand corrected.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

haha.. i stand corrected.
04-29-2006, 08:32 PM

I think the original post is interesting. Don't know if I'd buy into it, but it's interesting nonetheless. I wonder why everyone has to try and be a comedian when somebody posts something like this though? Seriously, the shit's not funny.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

I think the original post is interesting. Don't know if I'd buy into it, but it's interesting nonetheless. I wonder why everyone has to try and be a comedian when somebody posts something like this though? Seriously, the shit's not funny.
OFFLINE |  
HolyReality's Avatar HolyReality
04-29-2006, 08:33 PM

interesting...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

interesting...
OFFLINE |  
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwaters987
I don't think it's interesting... I think it's a dumb meaningless observation. I don't have the album, but I know it's supposedly about Maynard's mom. Are there any lyrics in the album about saturn? Didn't think so. Case closed.
I don't think it's dumb considering that Tool cites Saturn "coming back around" in a previous album. Maynard's obviously cognizant of the transits of Saturn. What I'm saying in the OP really isn't a joke, and astrologically it's actually quite a sound point. I've noticed Maynard writes lyrics that are multi-dimensional, which I admire. He likes to make references that can apply to several things on several layers, like for example as discussed re: The Pot.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I don't think it's interesting... I think it's a dumb meaningless observation. I don't have the album, but I know it's supposedly about Maynard's mom. Are there any lyrics in the album about saturn? Didn't think so. Case closed.
I don't think it's dumb considering that Tool cites Saturn "coming back around" in a previous album. Maynard's obviously cognizant of the transits of Saturn. What I'm saying in the OP really isn't a joke, and astrologically it's actually quite a sound point. I've noticed Maynard writes lyrics that are multi-dimensional, which I admire. He likes to make references that can apply to several things on several layers, like for example as discussed re: The Pot.
OFFLINE |  
Octave13's Avatar Octave13
04-30-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Maynard mentions Saturn twice in Jambi. Try not to condemn someone for simply making an observation. Why let it affect you so negatively if you don't agree with it? It's good that people are doing this. They're using their brain. Doesn't matter whether or not they're right, what matters is that it made them think.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Maynard mentions Saturn twice in Jambi. Try not to condemn someone for simply making an observation. Why let it affect you so negatively if you don't agree with it? It's good that people are doing this. They're using their brain. Doesn't matter whether or not they're right, what matters is that it made them think.
OFFLINE |  
Sigurd
04-30-2006, 07:33 AM

And if Saturn is only halfway around after 14 years, does that mean Tool has 14 more years in them before they call it quits?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

And if Saturn is only halfway around after 14 years, does that mean Tool has 14 more years in them before they call it quits?
OFFLINE |  
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-30-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd

Oh good, we get another album maybe

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
Cynical/Sarcastic
04-30-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Just as long as none of them fall out of a tree during that time. Hope Keith Richards is alright.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:35 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Just as long as none of them fall out of a tree during that time. Hope Keith Richards is alright.
OFFLINE |  
Wretched's Avatar Wretched
04-30-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical/Sarcastic
I hear God decided that after trying to kill Keith Richards so many times, and failing, that his last attempt would be the tree. Baisically, God has given up on killing Keith Richards.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 3710

Quote:
I hear God decided that after trying to kill Keith Richards so many times, and failing, that his last attempt would be the tree. Baisically, God has given up on killing Keith Richards.
OFFLINE |  
Cynical/Sarcastic
04-30-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
*chuckles* The devil has given up as well; Keith is now an official "lost cause."
Old 04-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
*chuckles* The devil has given up as well; Keith is now an official "lost cause."
OFFLINE |  
Sigurd
04-30-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I'm sure some enterprising citizen will take matters into his own hands.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
Cynical/Sarcastic
04-30-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I don't think I want to know what the results of that would be.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I don't think I want to know what the results of that would be.
OFFLINE |  
aicrag88's Avatar aicrag88
04-30-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:

mmmmmmmmmm.....interesting........oh wait no, shut up
Old 04-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

mmmmmmmmmm.....interesting........oh wait no, shut up
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
04-30-2006, 09:17 AM

you know how many fucking things i could come up with that involve some variation on the length of time 10000 days?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #21
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

you know how many fucking things i could come up with that involve some variation on the length of time 10000 days?
04-30-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag
Yes, we are all quite sure you can. Let people theorize if they like. You aren't obligated to agree.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag
Yes, we are all quite sure you can. Let people theorize if they like. You aren't obligated to agree.
OFFLINE |  
04-30-2006, 09:32 AM

I don't know why this thread has become such fodder for the aspiring comics on the board. There have been other threads where the apologetic aspect of this album is discussed. I think it is pretty clear the theme of this album is a departure from the preachy tone of Lateralus, almost carrying a self-deprecating flavor to it. Well, if you choose not only to name a song something but your entire album, it might suggest there's something more to it. Remember the Aenima/Aenema thing? You think Maynard wouldn't try to weave in little mysterious nuances into an album title to vary them from the songs on which they're based?

If you know anything about astrology at all, which Maynard does, and particularly the position of Saturn, you'll realize that Saturn is in opposition to its original position when Tool first emerged. The self-deprecating nature of the album, which is undeniable, is perfectly consistent with that placement. In fact, now that I understand this, I love the album even more because it /makes sense/. Whenever anyone talks about time, someone who knows about astrology is going to look at placements. Do you really think they would have named an entire album something--and, of all things, a period of time--if it weren't of greater significance than simply the particular song?

Last edited by rachmiel4; 04-30-2006 at 09:34 AM..
Old 04-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

I don't know why this thread has become such fodder for the aspiring comics on the board. There have been other threads where the apologetic aspect of this album is discussed. I think it is pretty clear the theme of this album is a departure from the preachy tone of Lateralus, almost carrying a self-deprecating flavor to it. Well, if you choose not only to name a song something but your entire album, it might suggest there's something more to it. Remember the Aenima/Aenema thing? You think Maynard wouldn't try to weave in little mysterious nuances into an album title to vary them from the songs on which they're based?

If you know anything about astrology at all, which Maynard does, and particularly the position of Saturn, you'll realize that Saturn is in opposition to its original position when Tool first emerged. The self-deprecating nature of the album, which is undeniable, is perfectly consistent with that placement. In fact, now that I understand this, I love the album even more because it /makes sense/. Whenever anyone talks about time, someone who knows about astrology is going to look at placements. Do you really think they would have named an entire album something--and, of all things, a period of time--if it weren't of greater significance than simply the particular song?

Last edited by rachmiel4; 04-30-2006 at 09:34 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Sigurd
04-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Exactly, I couldn't have put it better myself
Old 04-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Exactly, I couldn't have put it better myself
OFFLINE |  
Vicari0us
04-30-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Well... The Grudge is about having a grudge, not saturn.... I doubt they would make a continuation on that one song. Saturn is used for that Tree of Life stuff. http://www.vanillacircus.net/
Did you ever see the MJK quote where it says people email and send all their thoughts on what they think the song is about but thy are totally off....I dont think the song "The Grudge" is as easy as simply about having a "grudge"
Old 04-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Well... The Grudge is about having a grudge, not saturn.... I doubt they would make a continuation on that one song. Saturn is used for that Tree of Life stuff. http://www.vanillacircus.net/
Did you ever see the MJK quote where it says people email and send all their thoughts on what they think the song is about but thy are totally off....I dont think the song "The Grudge" is as easy as simply about having a "grudge"
OFFLINE |  
Teratoma's Avatar Teratoma
04-30-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Why didn't they call it 5,000 Days then? Fucking think. Please.
I lmfao'd
Old 04-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #26
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Why didn't they call it 5,000 Days then? Fucking think. Please.
I lmfao'd
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply