Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Pårȃđīǥm
05-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_confusion
"jambi i've... jambi i've... jambi i have aged, should comprimise a fulcrum, what to need, divide me, then i might as well be gone"
yeah that's....that's just wrong but hey, think what you want. Seriously, someone else should use that voice extractor so i don't have to upload the vocal track just to prove what i said.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #121
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_confusion
"jambi i've... jambi i've... jambi i have aged, should comprimise a fulcrum, what to need, divide me, then i might as well be gone"
yeah that's....that's just wrong but hey, think what you want. Seriously, someone else should use that voice extractor so i don't have to upload the vocal track just to prove what i said.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
evil agent's Avatar evil agent
05-21-2006, 06:20 PM

Just piping in again..

After hearing the song 100 times, seeing it performed live, watching several videos of it, and listening to several live recordings....

I am 110% FUCKING PERCENT SURE IT'S *NOT* JAMBI EYES! It's Dim my eyes. OPEN YOUR EARS.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #122
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Just piping in again..

After hearing the song 100 times, seeing it performed live, watching several videos of it, and listening to several live recordings....

I am 110% FUCKING PERCENT SURE IT'S *NOT* JAMBI EYES! It's Dim my eyes. OPEN YOUR EARS.
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
05-21-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil agent
Just piping in again..

. . .
But I'll pull through
Old 05-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #123
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil agent
Just piping in again..

. . .
But I'll pull through
chaotic_confusion's Avatar chaotic_confusion
05-22-2006, 11:37 AM

yeah... my post was just my initial thought, but ever since these topics started i haven't been sure what to think... i'm sure we'll fiind out soon enough
Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #124
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

yeah... my post was just my initial thought, but ever since these topics started i haven't been sure what to think... i'm sure we'll fiind out soon enough
happydipshit
05-22-2006, 03:06 PM

DIM PEOPLE DIM!

... just fucking around.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #125
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

DIM PEOPLE DIM!

... just fucking around.
alootaps
05-22-2006, 03:47 PM

i like this song. it's like about being in love with someone who makes everything better. but, you're waiting for them because for some reason you can't be together. and the waiting is tough. with so many distractions. eyes on the prize, and if i falter and look to someone else then my eyes be damned. and if there were one chance to find that the waiting would never amount to anything, i'd wish it all away. all the waiting, all the love. to avoid the inevitable pain of loss. and, Jambi grants wishes.

but, that's just my take on it.

mekka lekka hi mekka hiney ho
Old 05-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #126
Level 2 - Poster

i like this song. it's like about being in love with someone who makes everything better. but, you're waiting for them because for some reason you can't be together. and the waiting is tough. with so many distractions. eyes on the prize, and if i falter and look to someone else then my eyes be damned. and if there were one chance to find that the waiting would never amount to anything, i'd wish it all away. all the waiting, all the love. to avoid the inevitable pain of loss. and, Jambi grants wishes.

but, that's just my take on it.

mekka lekka hi mekka hiney ho
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM

Didn't know my thread would be such a hit. Glad it provided for hours of meaningless debate for everyone at least hahaha =).

It aint JAMBI EYES though - I'm tellin you! haha that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and plus if you listen close either he is pronounicing it like a retard or it is "Jam my eyes" or "Damn or Dim my eyes" or somewhere in between. I am still partial to my theory though, and to me it sounds right (of course to me yes yes). It's a progressive little passage if it is in fact Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes - and he is always doing little tricks with words like that. It's cool, and it makes alot of sense, and to me, yes TO ME, it does sounds very much like that. =)
Old 05-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #127
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Didn't know my thread would be such a hit. Glad it provided for hours of meaningless debate for everyone at least hahaha =).

It aint JAMBI EYES though - I'm tellin you! haha that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and plus if you listen close either he is pronounicing it like a retard or it is "Jam my eyes" or "Damn or Dim my eyes" or somewhere in between. I am still partial to my theory though, and to me it sounds right (of course to me yes yes). It's a progressive little passage if it is in fact Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes - and he is always doing little tricks with words like that. It's cool, and it makes alot of sense, and to me, yes TO ME, it does sounds very much like that. =)
05-23-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic

Makes the most sense to me.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-23-2006, 04:28 AM   #128
Ron Swampson

Quote:

Makes the most sense to me.
But I'll pull through
5th Eye's Avatar 5th Eye
05-23-2006, 04:30 AM

Anyone heard the live version(s)?

It's "damn."
Old 05-23-2006, 04:30 AM   #129
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

It's "damn."
05-23-2006, 08:37 AM

DDDD I M M
D D I MM MM
D D I M M M
D D I M M
DDDD I M M

now that is ugly
Old 05-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #130
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

DDDD I M M
D D I MM MM
D D I M M M
D D I M M
DDDD I M M

now that is ugly
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
05-23-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara
I'm still waiting on an explanation for what "Jambi eyes", "Jam my eyes" and "Jambi-ize" mean and why those meanings are more likely than "damn/dim my eyes".

This is the funniest argument ever.
I wholeheartedly agree with you! I can't believe it's gone on this long. And I'll bet when the lyrics come out, there's going to be a slew of "told you so" threads about this song and other songs, and at the top of the list will be the "I told you it was Dim x3!" :)

I also can't believe that people's judgment and hearing are so clouded by the fact that thier brains are trying so hard to make a connection to the title of the song that they have to come up with this incredible stretch of hearing Jambi eyes, jambi I or whatever, when in reality, Jambi most likely has little or nothing obvious to do with the actual content of the song (except maybe to nard). "Dim my eyes" or at least the "d" sound is sung so clearly three times, how can you doubters not hear that??

Maybe nard just named it Jambi to fuck with us?

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-23-2006 at 09:11 AM..
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #131

Re: Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes

Quote:
I'm still waiting on an explanation for what "Jambi eyes", "Jam my eyes" and "Jambi-ize" mean and why those meanings are more likely than "damn/dim my eyes".

This is the funniest argument ever.
I wholeheartedly agree with you! I can't believe it's gone on this long. And I'll bet when the lyrics come out, there's going to be a slew of "told you so" threads about this song and other songs, and at the top of the list will be the "I told you it was Dim x3!" :)

I also can't believe that people's judgment and hearing are so clouded by the fact that thier brains are trying so hard to make a connection to the title of the song that they have to come up with this incredible stretch of hearing Jambi eyes, jambi I or whatever, when in reality, Jambi most likely has little or nothing obvious to do with the actual content of the song (except maybe to nard). "Dim my eyes" or at least the "d" sound is sung so clearly three times, how can you doubters not hear that??

Maybe nard just named it Jambi to fuck with us?

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-23-2006 at 09:11 AM..
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
05-23-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Eye

It's "damn."
I have 4 different live versions and I hear "Dim" quite clearly.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Eye

It's "damn."
I have 4 different live versions and I hear "Dim" quite clearly.
05-23-2006, 11:24 AM

Well, let's agree to disagree.

/thread closed
Old 05-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #133
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Well, let's agree to disagree.

/thread closed
05-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Yeah he's always putting stuff like that in to confusee me. I agree there's no way it's Jambi eyes. I think he switches between dim and damn. At least that's what I heard and what (I think) makes the most sense.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #134
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Yeah he's always putting stuff like that in to confusee me. I agree there's no way it's Jambi eyes. I think he switches between dim and damn. At least that's what I heard and what (I think) makes the most sense.
05-23-2006, 02:23 PM

I read the entire thread yesterday, some issues back there might be dusty, but still seemed partly unaddressed or wholly unresolved.

First, my own bet is that the lyric is Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Damn my eyes.
Damn my eyes is a saying. Ask several people in their forties or so, or people who are into older writings or theatre - any form of tragedy.
And now for something completely different, namely, a sea-shanty excerpt:
"And there they lay, aye, damn my eyes
Looking up at paradise
All souls bound just contrawise"

In general use, to say "than (may god) damn my eyes" can mean:
"damn me", "if that's real I don't want to see any longer", or "I'll bet my vision that my vision is right" and many more, and many more. A related phrase or two would be "the/that accursed sight" "Terrible to behold"... Damn doens't fall as directly in line with the possible ''sun" nor with shine as Dim does, but a tinting / weakening of vision doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice, nor anything worth yelling about during the apex and center of a heavier song on any kind of 'rock' album. Note scare quotes, not an intended qualifier of Tool/Maynard, nor a generalization of genres, simply the natural association of rough expressions residing in 'rough' modes of expression.

it does sound at least a bit, on some of the bootleg recordings (as oppose to the T00L-endorsed and commercially-promoted version) a bit like dim where I hear damn, a bit like 'D' where I hear 'j'/'dj'. He does, in any event, do something different rather than singing Jambi as usually spoken/pronounced, which would be: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jambi I would advise trying to YELL, in a bursting/growling voice, the word "Am" during these beats, just to see. It might sound like ham at first - but more importantly - your voice will probably sound better if you allow "(y)im" or dim rather than "Damn". Finally, if this proves true, listen to an intended 'dim', versus an allowed 'dim'.

(This above paragraph is crazy, but so were (are?...) some of the ongoing arguements. I hope this proves as laughable / entertaining.)

Next, for anyone who enjoys knee-jerk, associative thoughts - as I do, with salt -
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jambe --- if you come up with a concise reasoning as to how this makes sense, by all means... Anyway, if this were actually related to the lyric (some doubt on my end) it would explain "Jambe my eyes" as he pronounces it. I may be leading you astray, whether I am, or not, I do so intentionally. (after thought, fulcrum/jambe -whatever)

-- in any event a pun for the eisegesis of at least a few. (-A word ppl here should use to distinguish a strictly personal view from a view which hopes to have sounded Maynard's, intentions, out.

Also, I'm somewhat unsure if I hear the lyric as "center" at ~3:00, or so...
But, tying back into this thread, as a joke down the lines of the hard/soft consonant argument (spoken of in those terms earlier in this thread) - I looked up the 'djambi' spelling which was mentioned at that point - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djambi#The_maze

Anyhow, I'm happy with any lyric concensus which has it as Damn the first time, and does not have it as Dim in that second instance.

So, to the OP, Yes, concensus, on my part. It would be great if others clarified from here out whether they believe it's worth it / possible to prove their preference to the general pool of views around here, or better to simply offer their suggestions to be used as liked.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #135
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I read the entire thread yesterday, some issues back there might be dusty, but still seemed partly unaddressed or wholly unresolved.

First, my own bet is that the lyric is Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Damn my eyes.
Damn my eyes is a saying. Ask several people in their forties or so, or people who are into older writings or theatre - any form of tragedy.
And now for something completely different, namely, a sea-shanty excerpt:
"And there they lay, aye, damn my eyes
Looking up at paradise
All souls bound just contrawise"

In general use, to say "than (may god) damn my eyes" can mean:
"damn me", "if that's real I don't want to see any longer", or "I'll bet my vision that my vision is right" and many more, and many more. A related phrase or two would be "the/that accursed sight" "Terrible to behold"... Damn doens't fall as directly in line with the possible ''sun" nor with shine as Dim does, but a tinting / weakening of vision doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice, nor anything worth yelling about during the apex and center of a heavier song on any kind of 'rock' album. Note scare quotes, not an intended qualifier of Tool/Maynard, nor a generalization of genres, simply the natural association of rough expressions residing in 'rough' modes of expression.

it does sound at least a bit, on some of the bootleg recordings (as oppose to the T00L-endorsed and commercially-promoted version) a bit like dim where I hear damn, a bit like 'D' where I hear 'j'/'dj'. He does, in any event, do something different rather than singing Jambi as usually spoken/pronounced, which would be: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jambi I would advise trying to YELL, in a bursting/growling voice, the word "Am" during these beats, just to see. It might sound like ham at first - but more importantly - your voice will probably sound better if you allow "(y)im" or dim rather than "Damn". Finally, if this proves true, listen to an intended 'dim', versus an allowed 'dim'.

(This above paragraph is crazy, but so were (are?...) some of the ongoing arguements. I hope this proves as laughable / entertaining.)

Next, for anyone who enjoys knee-jerk, associative thoughts - as I do, with salt -
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jambe --- if you come up with a concise reasoning as to how this makes sense, by all means... Anyway, if this were actually related to the lyric (some doubt on my end) it would explain "Jambe my eyes" as he pronounces it. I may be leading you astray, whether I am, or not, I do so intentionally. (after thought, fulcrum/jambe -whatever)

-- in any event a pun for the eisegesis of at least a few. (-A word ppl here should use to distinguish a strictly personal view from a view which hopes to have sounded Maynard's, intentions, out.

Also, I'm somewhat unsure if I hear the lyric as "center" at ~3:00, or so...
But, tying back into this thread, as a joke down the lines of the hard/soft consonant argument (spoken of in those terms earlier in this thread) - I looked up the 'djambi' spelling which was mentioned at that point - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djambi#The_maze

Anyhow, I'm happy with any lyric concensus which has it as Damn the first time, and does not have it as Dim in that second instance.

So, to the OP, Yes, concensus, on my part. It would be great if others clarified from here out whether they believe it's worth it / possible to prove their preference to the general pool of views around here, or better to simply offer their suggestions to be used as liked.
05-24-2006, 08:29 AM

I could see it being damn my eyes, jam my eyes, dim my eyes. After seeing this thread i have listened to this line on 4 different live versions of the song trying to hear it. I originally thought this seemed strange, i thought it was just damn my eyes, but i can kinda hear it a lil different in the live versions. So i guess i sort of agree to this idea.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #136
Level 4 - Thinker

I could see it being damn my eyes, jam my eyes, dim my eyes. After seeing this thread i have listened to this line on 4 different live versions of the song trying to hear it. I originally thought this seemed strange, i thought it was just damn my eyes, but i can kinda hear it a lil different in the live versions. So i guess i sort of agree to this idea.
05-24-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
can anyone pm me link to live? or at least, tell me where i can find a vast library of toolmania? or just resurrect the toolhub?

me too?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #137

Bincount™: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
can anyone pm me link to live? or at least, tell me where i can find a vast library of toolmania? or just resurrect the toolhub?

me too?
05-24-2006, 09:31 PM

man, you people are deaf!!! It is only "jam my eyes" it sounds prefectly clear to me..........ran it through some filters in my player to try and isolate the instruments from the vocals. Definately "jam my eyes" all three times.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:31 PM   #138
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

man, you people are deaf!!! It is only "jam my eyes" it sounds prefectly clear to me..........ran it through some filters in my player to try and isolate the instruments from the vocals. Definately "jam my eyes" all three times.
05-24-2006, 09:35 PM

everyone is definately hearing what they want to hear with this song.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #139
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

everyone is definately hearing what they want to hear with this song.
05-25-2006, 05:49 AM

It definatly sounds like "Damn my eyes if they should compromise...." at least at that one part. Could it be just dam my eyes? as though he wants them blocked?

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
Old 05-25-2006, 05:49 AM   #140
Formerly DJR
Suicide Booth ID: 11

Bincount™: 4398

It definatly sounds like "Damn my eyes if they should compromise...." at least at that one part. Could it be just dam my eyes? as though he wants them blocked?

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
05-25-2006, 06:55 AM

It could be "damn," it could be "jam," it could be "dim . . ." These three make sense, and the phoenetics are such that any of these could be right. I'm fully content to wait for Maynard to settle this score. The only thing that CAN'T be right is "Jambeye eyes," or anything that starts with the mispronunciation of "Jambi." Check Q'ayin's first link: it contains a link that actually says the word in proper pronunciation (just in case you can't decipher a pronunciation guide).

However, "Jambe" you, Q'ayin. I don't know what that means, as "Jambe" doesn't seem to have any context as a verb. But I thought that maybe you do, as you suggest that the phrase might be "jambe my eyes." What does it mean? Point your eyes at the door frame- kinda like "heel your dog" means bring the dog to your heel? Also, your third link (about the game of Djambi) made for interesting reading, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the song. I'll wager my "Necromobile" and my "Assassin" that the two are unconnected, and you are just a "Troublemaker."
But I'll pull through
Old 05-25-2006, 06:55 AM   #141
Ron Swampson

It could be "damn," it could be "jam," it could be "dim . . ." These three make sense, and the phoenetics are such that any of these could be right. I'm fully content to wait for Maynard to settle this score. The only thing that CAN'T be right is "Jambeye eyes," or anything that starts with the mispronunciation of "Jambi." Check Q'ayin's first link: it contains a link that actually says the word in proper pronunciation (just in case you can't decipher a pronunciation guide).

However, "Jambe" you, Q'ayin. I don't know what that means, as "Jambe" doesn't seem to have any context as a verb. But I thought that maybe you do, as you suggest that the phrase might be "jambe my eyes." What does it mean? Point your eyes at the door frame- kinda like "heel your dog" means bring the dog to your heel? Also, your third link (about the game of Djambi) made for interesting reading, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the song. I'll wager my "Necromobile" and my "Assassin" that the two are unconnected, and you are just a "Troublemaker."
But I'll pull through
Max T.'s Avatar Max T.
05-25-2006, 02:11 PM

if these are actually the words, off the top of my head i would definately say that "Jam my eyes" comes first. Is Jambi actually pronounced "Jom-bee?" because I always thought it was "Jambi-eyes" (Jam-bye).

More importantly, who gives two shits about worrying what the real lyrics are? Seriously, it doesn't matter because if I remember correctly, Maynard usually posts the ACTUAL lyrics about a month or so after the album release: the reason being is to NOT follow the song along with the words (if he were so inclined to post them simultaneously with the release), but to listen to the music first and worry about the lyrics later because thats what he feels is primarily important, according to his words I read from an interview. So we really don't need to worry about this so much, because we will find out in the near future I believe.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #142
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

if these are actually the words, off the top of my head i would definately say that "Jam my eyes" comes first. Is Jambi actually pronounced "Jom-bee?" because I always thought it was "Jambi-eyes" (Jam-bye).

More importantly, who gives two shits about worrying what the real lyrics are? Seriously, it doesn't matter because if I remember correctly, Maynard usually posts the ACTUAL lyrics about a month or so after the album release: the reason being is to NOT follow the song along with the words (if he were so inclined to post them simultaneously with the release), but to listen to the music first and worry about the lyrics later because thats what he feels is primarily important, according to his words I read from an interview. So we really don't need to worry about this so much, because we will find out in the near future I believe.
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max T.

Then why are you posting in the official lyrics threads if you're not worried about them?

In fact, why are you posting in this thread?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #143
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max T.

Then why are you posting in the official lyrics threads if you're not worried about them?

05-25-2006, 07:47 PM

I didn't read this whole thread, God forgive me, but if anyone cares, Justin recently referred to the song and pronounced it 'Jam-bee'. Not 'Jam-bye'.

But yeah, I think it's a big old Maynardian joke. Jambye eyes.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #144
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I didn't read this whole thread, God forgive me, but if anyone cares, Justin recently referred to the song and pronounced it 'Jam-bee'. Not 'Jam-bye'.

But yeah, I think it's a big old Maynardian joke. Jambye eyes.
Max T.'s Avatar Max T.
05-26-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:

i came to the thought in the midst of writing the post.............................................. ..............and will not post here again....eheh
Old 05-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #145
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

i came to the thought in the midst of writing the post.............................................. ..............and will not post here again....eheh
Max T.'s Avatar Max T.
05-26-2006, 05:04 PM

actually, my original point may have come across as a bit hazy. What I meant to say was that its not very efficient to continue arguing about the lyrics at this point because none of us will come to any conclusions, especially because not everyone will agree on what the words are until they are "officially" posted, so we might as well continue with our own interpretations until then.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #146
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

actually, my original point may have come across as a bit hazy. What I meant to say was that its not very efficient to continue arguing about the lyrics at this point because none of us will come to any conclusions, especially because not everyone will agree on what the words are until they are "officially" posted, so we might as well continue with our own interpretations until then.
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-27-2006, 03:11 PM

i definitely heard him sing...jam my eyes...and damn my eyes live... as for the third dim..i have to listen more
Old 05-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #147
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

i definitely heard him sing...jam my eyes...and damn my eyes live... as for the third dim..i have to listen more
05-27-2006, 03:52 PM

If the second line isnt "jam my eyes" or "jambi eyes" or whateva the fuck it is starting with "J", then thats the worst bit of singing by maynard iv heard. Really fucking lazy, cuz there is definitely a "J" sound. Whether thats intentional or just sloppy pronounciation of "D" is what this fucking agument is over. And yet. there are those who totaly deny the "J" sound... WHAT FUCKING SONG ARE YOU LISTENING TO???
All the live versions iv heard also have the same "J" sound... So my only conclusion is that your listening to some other song... perhpas by another band?... wait wait, this is a TooL forum right? Cuz if it isnt that'd explain alot...
Old 05-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #148
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

If the second line isnt "jam my eyes" or "jambi eyes" or whateva the fuck it is starting with "J", then thats the worst bit of singing by maynard iv heard. Really fucking lazy, cuz there is definitely a "J" sound. Whether thats intentional or just sloppy pronounciation of "D" is what this fucking agument is over. And yet. there are those who totaly deny the "J" sound... WHAT FUCKING SONG ARE YOU LISTENING TO???
All the live versions iv heard also have the same "J" sound... So my only conclusion is that your listening to some other song... perhpas by another band?... wait wait, this is a TooL forum right? Cuz if it isnt that'd explain alot...
DrummerAndrew's Avatar DrummerAndrew
05-27-2006, 07:54 PM

You don't dim eyes. You dim light that the eyes see. So there. It's damn my eyes. Love this album.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #149
Level 3 - Talker

You don't dim eyes. You dim light that the eyes see. So there. It's damn my eyes. Love this album.
05-27-2006, 07:57 PM

Maybe it's some sort of personal fetish he has with PB&J. And he's explaining where he wants the strawberry jam.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #150
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 55

Maybe it's some sort of personal fetish he has with PB&J. And he's explaining where he wants the strawberry jam.
05-27-2006, 07:58 PM

ummm bin/lock/delete

its dim
Old 05-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #151
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

ummm bin/lock/delete

its dim
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
05-27-2006, 08:30 PM

you guys still aren't listening to what i had said last night. I had said that it could be "Jambi's" as well. Artists extend words too, and if it is "jambi's", then it would be pronounced (jam-bye). It is either plural, showing more than one 'jambi', per se. Or it could be showing onwership as in " Jambi's " and object being bartered or (compromised) over as said in the lyrics. the lyric would be extended in this fashion: "...Jambiiiiii's..." just to show that he held the word.

.•°andrew·.

last night

Quote:
it's either "Dim my eye's", "Damn my eyes", or "Jambi's" (showing plural in each one and extending it if the lyric is "jambi's".

If he actually used the reference, which i think he would, it would be soundful like this
"Jambiiiiii's". (( and is pronouced 'jam-bye' ))

but you can as well here a "d" sound for dim or damn in the song.

lyrics:

"[dim/damn] my eye's, if they should compromise..." referring to seeing something clearly with a compromise of a certain time or in a certain place.

"[jambi's], if they should compromise..." meaning objects or people etc...being relavant to some "state of mind"

but it 'Jambi' is made capitalized in the song and made it "[ Jambis' ]", it would make less sense because it says "they" meaning plural, but it would be showing some sort of "(ownership)" and the "compromise" of them being a barter.

((just an opinion here))

~Andrew B. Campbell

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 05-27-2006 at 08:40 PM..
Old 05-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #152
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

you guys still aren't listening to what i had said last night. I had said that it could be "Jambi's" as well. Artists extend words too, and if it is "jambi's", then it would be pronounced (jam-bye). It is either plural, showing more than one 'jambi', per se. Or it could be showing onwership as in " Jambi's " and object being bartered or (compromised) over as said in the lyrics. the lyric would be extended in this fashion: "...Jambiiiiii's..." just to show that he held the word.

.•°andrew·.

last night

Quote:
it's either "Dim my eye's", "Damn my eyes", or "Jambi's" (showing plural in each one and extending it if the lyric is "jambi's".

If he actually used the reference, which i think he would, it would be soundful like this
"Jambiiiiii's". (( and is pronouced 'jam-bye' ))

but you can as well here a "d" sound for dim or damn in the song.

lyrics:

"[dim/damn] my eye's, if they should compromise..." referring to seeing something clearly with a compromise of a certain time or in a certain place.

"[jambi's], if they should compromise..." meaning objects or people etc...being relavant to some "state of mind"

but it 'Jambi' is made capitalized in the song and made it "[ Jambis' ]", it would make less sense because it says "they" meaning plural, but it would be showing some sort of "(ownership)" and the "compromise" of them being a barter.

((just an opinion here))

~Andrew B. Campbell

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 05-27-2006 at 08:40 PM..
barometric_tool's Avatar barometric_tool
05-27-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.
you guys still aren't listening to what i had said last night. I had said that it could be "Jambi's" as well. Artists extend words two, and if it is "jambi's", then it would be pronounced (jam-bye). It is either plural, showing more than one 'jambi', per se. Or it could be showing onwership as in " Jambi's " and object being bartered or (compromised) over as said in the lyrics. the lyric would be extended in this fashion: "...Jambiiiiii's..." just to show that he held the word.

but it could be very well, damn my eye's, or dim my eyes. you have to listen to the song to sort of catch the lyric you are trying to correct for tip as well.

What does that mean?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #153
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.
you guys still aren't listening to what i had said last night. I had said that it could be "Jambi's" as well. Artists extend words two, and if it is "jambi's", then it would be pronounced (jam-bye). It is either plural, showing more than one 'jambi', per se. Or it could be showing onwership as in " Jambi's " and object being bartered or (compromised) over as said in the lyrics. the lyric would be extended in this fashion: "...Jambiiiiii's..." just to show that he held the word.

but it could be very well, damn my eye's, or dim my eyes. you have to listen to the song to sort of catch the lyric you are trying to correct for tip as well.

What does that mean?
05-27-2006, 08:43 PM

i had meant to say "artists extend words *too*...". it means that while the artist is singing, "maynard", they hold out a certain word a little longer and create different octaves with the word. like this -> "Jambiiiiiii's". It gets a differnt pitch when he would hold the "iiiiiiii's". you understand now?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #154
Level 7 - Loquacious

i had meant to say "artists extend words *too*...". it means that while the artist is singing, "maynard", they hold out a certain word a little longer and create different octaves with the word. like this -> "Jambiiiiiii's". It gets a differnt pitch when he would hold the "iiiiiiii's". you understand now?
BoomShakaLaka's Avatar BoomShakaLaka
05-28-2006, 12:02 PM

When i saw it live, i was close enough to see his mouth move, and he DEFINETLY said JAMBI, so my vote is with jambi
Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #155
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

When i saw it live, i was close enough to see his mouth move, and he DEFINETLY said JAMBI, so my vote is with jambi
05-28-2006, 09:57 PM

Alright guys, I have been listening closer and I'm going to admit it - I will start a new thread now. It's there. He is just almost holding his breath when he says it. Anyway - here goes.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #156
Level 8 - Vociferous

Alright guys, I have been listening closer and I'm going to admit it - I will start a new thread now. It's there. He is just almost holding his breath when he says it. Anyway - here goes.
05-29-2006, 12:28 PM

i'm just trying to settle a bit of the argument by saying that it is " Jambiiiiii's "
Old 05-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #157
Level 7 - Loquacious

i'm just trying to settle a bit of the argument by saying that it is " Jambiiiiii's "
05-29-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
I really really think he's saying "dim my eyes." "Damn my eyes" does not make as much sense, either.
Alright, even though I will admit that they Jamb-eye is there, I still think my progression is there. I am quite sure of it.

Damn my eyes: He's saying "this is not good, my eyes are losing their sight"

Jamb-eye eyes: I think this is some reference to eyes losing their sight, metaphorically or not, though in what context I have no idea. Could be historical.

Dim my eyes: The third step of the progression, on towards complete loss of sight.

He talks about the light in Judith's eyes being dim on here to remember, so that reenforces it to me. Just a hunch, but I think the progression is there, and it does make ALOT of sense, to me at least.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #158
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
I really really think he's saying "dim my eyes." "Damn my eyes" does not make as much sense, either.
Alright, even though I will admit that they Jamb-eye is there, I still think my progression is there. I am quite sure of it.

Damn my eyes: He's saying "this is not good, my eyes are losing their sight"

Jamb-eye eyes: I think this is some reference to eyes losing their sight, metaphorically or not, though in what context I have no idea. Could be historical.

Dim my eyes: The third step of the progression, on towards complete loss of sight.

He talks about the light in Judith's eyes being dim on here to remember, so that reenforces it to me. Just a hunch, but I think the progression is there, and it does make ALOT of sense, to me at least.
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie
i'm pretty sure mjk is saying "dammit you guys", or maybe "slimey flies", but then after i listened for the 69th time, i thought he said "camel toes"
.. HA HA
I'm with Auntie............. no really
Old 05-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #159
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie
i'm pretty sure mjk is saying "dammit you guys", or maybe "slimey flies", but then after i listened for the 69th time, i thought he said "camel toes"
.. HA HA
I'm with Auntie............. no really
scar's Avatar scar
06-01-2006, 07:13 AM

it doesn't matter if it makes sense to YOU. i'm not sure Maynard is singing this just for you. just because "jam-bye" doesn't make sense to you, then your rationale is that it is impossible Maynard can be singing that in a song. that's just bad reasoning.

stop writing "i think he says...." and "maybe it's...."

the phonetics are as follows: "D amn/im my eyes. J ambized/am my eyes. D im/amn my eyes if they should compromise....."

i'm not writing what I THINK it could be, i'm writing what is CLEARLY coming through my speakers. the speakers in my house, in my car, in my headphones, etc. it IS in the music. you may have a different copy of the cd, but in mine, and many others, these phonetics that i mentioned above are undoubtedly there.

please stop trying to deny it with a closed mind. whether or not you understand the lyrics is inconsequential. just because you have held steadfast in your belief of "damn, dim, dim" or "dim, dim, dim" doesn't mean you are right. sometimes people's closed minds end up closing their ears as well.

and no, i am not saying that you are a closed minded person for not agreeing with what he sings, or even not hearing what is clearly there. i'm just saying that someone who disagrees should come over and listen to the cd i have, and then try to tell me "JAMBI EYES" or "JAMBI-IZED" isn't there, right to my face.

just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it inconceivable.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #160

it doesn't matter if it makes sense to YOU. i'm not sure Maynard is singing this just for you. just because "jam-bye" doesn't make sense to you, then your rationale is that it is impossible Maynard can be singing that in a song. that's just bad reasoning.

stop writing "i think he says...." and "maybe it's...."

the phonetics are as follows: "D amn/im my eyes. J ambized/am my eyes. D im/amn my eyes if they should compromise....."

i'm not writing what I THINK it could be, i'm writing what is CLEARLY coming through my speakers. the speakers in my house, in my car, in my headphones, etc. it IS in the music. you may have a different copy of the cd, but in mine, and many others, these phonetics that i mentioned above are undoubtedly there.

please stop trying to deny it with a closed mind. whether or not you understand the lyrics is inconsequential. just because you have held steadfast in your belief of "damn, dim, dim" or "dim, dim, dim" doesn't mean you are right. sometimes people's closed minds end up closing their ears as well.

and no, i am not saying that you are a closed minded person for not agreeing with what he sings, or even not hearing what is clearly there. i'm just saying that someone who disagrees should come over and listen to the cd i have, and then try to tell me "JAMBI EYES" or "JAMBI-IZED" isn't there, right to my face.

just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it inconceivable.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply