Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
paraflux
04-28-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie
Infact I still have no clue what you're trying to convey.......
There was nothing to convey. Move along.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #161
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: Maynard = asshole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie
Infact I still have no clue what you're trying to convey.......
OFFLINE |  
Cemetery Shindig
04-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchochichi
I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself
He's an artist who happens to be popular. It's not his choice. Obviously, if he makes a living off of his art, he's glad that people are appreciating it and supporting his existence. However, think about how many stupid fucking TOOL fans he's come into contact with? He lives in America, and there are more obnoxious fans here than anywhere else in the world. Unfortunately for him, he's the focal point of the band, because the only things the average person associates with in music are the lyrics and vocals. He doesn't value himself over anyone else in the band, yet the fans clearly put a higher value on him and label him as some sort of God. I think he does a really good job in keeping the focus off himself. If he has to be interviewed by stupid people, he's allowed to act like an asshole to them. He never owed anyone anything in the first place, but he's given us his art. We shouldn't be greedy.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #162
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself
He's an artist who happens to be popular. It's not his choice. Obviously, if he makes a living off of his art, he's glad that people are appreciating it and supporting his existence. However, think about how many stupid fucking TOOL fans he's come into contact with? He lives in America, and there are more obnoxious fans here than anywhere else in the world. Unfortunately for him, he's the focal point of the band, because the only things the average person associates with in music are the lyrics and vocals. He doesn't value himself over anyone else in the band, yet the fans clearly put a higher value on him and label him as some sort of God. I think he does a really good job in keeping the focus off himself. If he has to be interviewed by stupid people, he's allowed to act like an asshole to them. He never owed anyone anything in the first place, but he's given us his art. We shouldn't be greedy.
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
You seem a little prob happy today
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #163
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

Quote:
You seem a little prob happy today
facelessDrone
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Brown
I said he is an "undercover christian" meaning that he is not a tool fan.
This very simple, clear sentence is structured as "He is A, therefore B follows from A." I don't know how the fuck else you're supposed to take this, besides "Christians are not tool fans."
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #164
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Brown
I said he is an "undercover christian" meaning that he is not a tool fan.
This very simple, clear sentence is structured as "He is A, therefore B follows from A." I don't know how the fuck else you're supposed to take this, besides "Christians are not tool fans."
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-28-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessDrone
The sentece structure fits, but the idea makes zero sense.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #165
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessDrone
The sentece structure fits, but the idea makes zero sense.
bunny_309
04-28-2006, 11:54 AM

I had a similar expectation of maynard except that I had seen interviews and seen his behavior in them... I attributed it to him being a private person that was not comfortable being famous.
Then I met him. In fact, because I had a very attractive friend, I was one of maynard's guests at APC's first show in Australia. I will not get into details or specific accusations, but I can state that the times I met him, he was as sleazy as anyone I have ever encountered. A disgusting person who happens to be talented and be surrounded with other extremely talented people.
In case you think I am just a fan who met a rock star/ idol and was disappointed by the experience when the rock star was a bit of a jerk, trust me, that's not how it happened. To give you a sense, I actually feel a sense of guilt that I still support his bands by purchasing CD's and going to concerts.
B-

Quote:
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #166
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

I had a similar expectation of maynard except that I had seen interviews and seen his behavior in them... I attributed it to him being a private person that was not comfortable being famous.
Then I met him. In fact, because I had a very attractive friend, I was one of maynard's guests at APC's first show in Australia. I will not get into details or specific accusations, but I can state that the times I met him, he was as sleazy as anyone I have ever encountered. A disgusting person who happens to be talented and be surrounded with other extremely talented people.
In case you think I am just a fan who met a rock star/ idol and was disappointed by the experience when the rock star was a bit of a jerk, trust me, that's not how it happened. To give you a sense, I actually feel a sense of guilt that I still support his bands by purchasing CD's and going to concerts.
B-

Quote:
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is.
OFFLINE |  
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
04-28-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
I got my pic taken w/ Patton when I was in college. I look ridiculous and Patton has a gash on his nose like somebody punched him in the face.

Its the best.

He was being a dick for the most part... but his dressing room was absolutely crammed with strangers as he tried to eat. I couldn't believe the chaos. Some dude came up and said - can I have your autograph... Patton just held up his hoagie and said "what does this look like".

You also have the guys that have 300 stickers for them to sign. That must be a real treat.

My girl was talking to Roddy Bottum about "King for a day..." and told him that the it was her favorite album but it did so poorly because they released "diggin the grave" as the single and it was the worst song on the album. Brutally honest. I think shes right. When I overheard the conversation my jaw dropped. She's a musician as well so I think she's just being honest about her opinion with the dude.

If you want to approach somebody don't do it in a situation in which you think they would hate it. Hands down.

LOL! "What does this look like". Fucking beautiful. I love that guy.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #167
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
I got my pic taken w/ Patton when I was in college. I look ridiculous and Patton has a gash on his nose like somebody punched him in the face.

Its the best.

He was being a dick for the most part... but his dressing room was absolutely crammed with strangers as he tried to eat. I couldn't believe the chaos. Some dude came up and said - can I have your autograph... Patton just held up his hoagie and said "what does this look like".

You also have the guys that have 300 stickers for them to sign. That must be a real treat.

My girl was talking to Roddy Bottum about "King for a day..." and told him that the it was her favorite album but it did so poorly because they released "diggin the grave" as the single and it was the worst song on the album. Brutally honest. I think shes right. When I overheard the conversation my jaw dropped. She's a musician as well so I think she's just being honest about her opinion with the dude.

If you want to approach somebody don't do it in a situation in which you think they would hate it. Hands down.

LOL! "What does this look like". Fucking beautiful. I love that guy.
04-28-2006, 12:40 PM

haha i like how some you cannot accept the fact that this guy might just be a fucking asshole. i mean shit, Frank lloyd Wright was prasied beyond words for his architecture, but he was a womanizer and a prick.

it's funny that people keep saying, "oh he's just an artist, trying to protect his image, he isn't really an asshole it's just to save his image".

bullshit. so what if he writes lyrics about self-enlightenment or universal love or whatever. that is him in his art. in everyday life, he could very well be a goddamn cock.

who fucking cares? all this shit says a lot more about you guys than it does him,
Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #168
Level 4 - Thinker

haha i like how some you cannot accept the fact that this guy might just be a fucking asshole. i mean shit, Frank lloyd Wright was prasied beyond words for his architecture, but he was a womanizer and a prick.

it's funny that people keep saying, "oh he's just an artist, trying to protect his image, he isn't really an asshole it's just to save his image".

bullshit. so what if he writes lyrics about self-enlightenment or universal love or whatever. that is him in his art. in everyday life, he could very well be a goddamn cock.

who fucking cares? all this shit says a lot more about you guys than it does him,
OFFLINE |  
psims23
04-28-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Of_Wah
I'm gonna have to take Maynard's side on this one. That interviewer is practically shitting his pants, and I don't see how Maynard is saying anything but the truth about his attitude towards tv interviews. He's always been cynical, it's none of our business what caused him to be like this.

Now look at that metro-sexual Mtv inteviewer. And I'm being absolutely dead serious here: WHICH OF HIS QUESTIONS WOULD SIGNAL IN ANY WAY THAT HE'S IN THE LEAST BIT INVOLVED? Whis moment signifies that he has something intelligent and compelling to ask about? Which word that he says in any one of his questions would even HINT at him wanting to really bust the mold of mediocricy and turn that into a great, insightful and informative interview?

Maybe Maynard's just itching to be pleasantly surprised?

Dude, he's an MTV Holland interviewer, not Dan Rather or Barbera Walters.. Im sure he's not seeking to turn into a great, insightful interviewer.. he's just tring to let the fans in on a bit of kowledge about the band... from the band... fucking lighten up
Old 04-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #169
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Of_Wah
I'm gonna have to take Maynard's side on this one. That interviewer is practically shitting his pants, and I don't see how Maynard is saying anything but the truth about his attitude towards tv interviews. He's always been cynical, it's none of our business what caused him to be like this.

Now look at that metro-sexual Mtv inteviewer. And I'm being absolutely dead serious here: WHICH OF HIS QUESTIONS WOULD SIGNAL IN ANY WAY THAT HE'S IN THE LEAST BIT INVOLVED? Whis moment signifies that he has something intelligent and compelling to ask about? Which word that he says in any one of his questions would even HINT at him wanting to really bust the mold of mediocricy and turn that into a great, insightful and informative interview?

Maybe Maynard's just itching to be pleasantly surprised?

Dude, he's an MTV Holland interviewer, not Dan Rather or Barbera Walters.. Im sure he's not seeking to turn into a great, insightful interviewer.. he's just tring to let the fans in on a bit of kowledge about the band... from the band... fucking lighten up
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themayanlion

I agree. The guy is a little Napoleon, but that shouldn't have anything to do with his music. I don't listen to tool to find out who maynard is.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #170
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

I agree. The guy is a little Napoleon, but that shouldn't have anything to do with his music. I don't listen to tool to find out who maynard is.
montsegur
04-28-2006, 12:43 PM

...i had a beer with the guys backstage after the koncert once and they were all down to earth people exept mayard, he has this napoleon komplex going on and
seems like all the hollywood fame messed up his mind, if you ask anyone who ever met maynard at koncert they're gonna tel you how maynard was a total prick,how he was the only member of the band who didnt give autographs, didnt
want his picture taken and didnt want to stay and chat with fans like the rest of his fellow band members....
I just love it how they got a guy who picks up chicks and takes them backstage for an aftershow orgy...

...and he is an even bigger prick when he is on the road with apc since they 're an
"all star band"
...I met Patton and he is like a "next door neighbour" compared to maynard or anyone from tool.

I am a big tool fan but i never liked maynard couse of his "i m a big fuckin rockstar and i m better than you syndrome" . He should look up to his bandmates ....
Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #171
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

...i had a beer with the guys backstage after the koncert once and they were all down to earth people exept mayard, he has this napoleon komplex going on and
seems like all the hollywood fame messed up his mind, if you ask anyone who ever met maynard at koncert they're gonna tel you how maynard was a total prick,how he was the only member of the band who didnt give autographs, didnt
want his picture taken and didnt want to stay and chat with fans like the rest of his fellow band members....
I just love it how they got a guy who picks up chicks and takes them backstage for an aftershow orgy...

...and he is an even bigger prick when he is on the road with apc since they 're an
"all star band"
...I met Patton and he is like a "next door neighbour" compared to maynard or anyone from tool.

I am a big tool fan but i never liked maynard couse of his "i m a big fuckin rockstar and i m better than you syndrome" . He should look up to his bandmates ....
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM

Hmm... this thread is now 5 pages long.... my question to everybody is.. why do we care? 99% of us will never... ever.. even meet the guy. I could care less if he's an ass, or if he wears a tutu singing the star spangeled banner before he goes to sleep. He can sing and write well.... and he is a good contribution to TOOL. I swear to god it's like Im reading People magazine or some shit here.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #172
Level 7 - Loquacious

Hmm... this thread is now 5 pages long.... my question to everybody is.. why do we care? 99% of us will never... ever.. even meet the guy. I could care less if he's an ass, or if he wears a tutu singing the star spangeled banner before he goes to sleep. He can sing and write well.... and he is a good contribution to TOOL. I swear to god it's like Im reading People magazine or some shit here.
OFFLINE |  
vinegar_tom's Avatar vinegar_tom
04-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Jesus Fucking Christ. Seriously, grow up you guys.

Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodad
He has always been clear about trying to separate his personal life from all this. He just said it in an interview and I can respect his privacy.

"Maynard has the reputation for being ‘difficult’ or even downright rude to the more insistent of rabid fans, and god help the prospective autograph hunter. “I find is very…unnatural,” Keenan nods. “What happens is I might be having a drink with a friend in a bar, minding my own business, when all of a sudden some person will come up, tell me how great I am, and offer to buy me drink, never minding that I may be in a conversation. Or I might be in the park with my son, and it’s ‘hey, are you Maynard from Tool?’ ‘Well, no – right now, I’m the father of this child and I want to be alone.’ Suddenly I have been set-up. Because if I don’t accept the drink, or ignore him, or say I’m in the middle of talking to a friend, that makes me a pretentious asshole?” He shakes his head, heatedly. “Just because I’m in a band doesn’t make me a public servant. It’s very weird to be in that position, because I see my role in this band as being between these four guys. No one else. It doesn’t happen all the time, but because it does, it puts you on the defensive a lot. You’re very wary. You’re always thinking ‘Is this going to that guy who has some intense expectation about how I’m meant to act?’”

http://www.beat.com.au/article.php?id=231
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #173
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3796

Jesus Fucking Christ. Seriously, grow up you guys.

Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodad
He has always been clear about trying to separate his personal life from all this. He just said it in an interview and I can respect his privacy.

"Maynard has the reputation for being ‘difficult’ or even downright rude to the more insistent of rabid fans, and god help the prospective autograph hunter. “I find is very…unnatural,” Keenan nods. “What happens is I might be having a drink with a friend in a bar, minding my own business, when all of a sudden some person will come up, tell me how great I am, and offer to buy me drink, never minding that I may be in a conversation. Or I might be in the park with my son, and it’s ‘hey, are you Maynard from Tool?’ ‘Well, no – right now, I’m the father of this child and I want to be alone.’ Suddenly I have been set-up. Because if I don’t accept the drink, or ignore him, or say I’m in the middle of talking to a friend, that makes me a pretentious asshole?” He shakes his head, heatedly. “Just because I’m in a band doesn’t make me a public servant. It’s very weird to be in that position, because I see my role in this band as being between these four guys. No one else. It doesn’t happen all the time, but because it does, it puts you on the defensive a lot. You’re very wary. You’re always thinking ‘Is this going to that guy who has some intense expectation about how I’m meant to act?’”

http://www.beat.com.au/article.php?id=231
OFFLINE |  
themayanlion
04-28-2006, 12:49 PM

"between these four guys"? does that imply 5 members of the band? the new album is a hoax.

open your minds.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #174
Level 4 - Thinker

"between these four guys"? does that imply 5 members of the band? the new album is a hoax.

open your minds.
OFFLINE |  
psims23
04-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:

open your minds.

I laughed... you were kidding, right?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #175
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

open your minds.

I laughed... you were kidding, right?
OFFLINE |  
montsegur
04-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psims23
nobody cares, it s just that there are actually people who idolize this guy (you wouldnt belive) and there are actually people who think he is an ok guy just becouse he writes the lyrics and sings .... damn!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #176
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by psims23
nobody cares, it s just that there are actually people who idolize this guy (you wouldnt belive) and there are actually people who think he is an ok guy just becouse he writes the lyrics and sings .... damn!
04-28-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassup
Your absolutelty right. What do these brats want? Fuckin boycott TOOL if you think your hard earned money is buying the character outside of TOOL...... don't buy the album.
i haven't taken it to that level, but at the same don't you like to know your money is going to good people who deserve it instead of an asshole who deserves it? either way they earned our dough by putting out a great album, but i'd rather buy roses from a homeless guy than at wal-mart. same concept, imho.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #177
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassup
Your absolutelty right. What do these brats want? Fuckin boycott TOOL if you think your hard earned money is buying the character outside of TOOL...... don't buy the album.
i haven't taken it to that level, but at the same don't you like to know your money is going to good people who deserve it instead of an asshole who deserves it? either way they earned our dough by putting out a great album, but i'd rather buy roses from a homeless guy than at wal-mart. same concept, imho.
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsegur
There really isn't any reason to idolize any of them, or anyone for that matter.
If you do you're in for disapoinment.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #178
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
There really isn't any reason to idolize any of them, or anyone for that matter.
soydeedo
04-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Perhaps he is teaching you a lesson yet again. Dont have human idols. He didnt ask to be yours and he doesnt want to be.
works for me. i never understood the people that wanted to worship maynard, trent, and all the rest. reading these posts i'm slowly seeing that i might actually do the same if i were in his position. i hope i wouldn't, but i guess i have no real clue.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #179
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Perhaps he is teaching you a lesson yet again. Dont have human idols. He didnt ask to be yours and he doesnt want to be.
works for me. i never understood the people that wanted to worship maynard, trent, and all the rest. reading these posts i'm slowly seeing that i might actually do the same if i were in his position. i hope i wouldn't, but i guess i have no real clue.
OFFLINE |  
soydeedo
04-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath
Maynard has every right to do whatever he wants, act however he wants, but why not take the opportunity to speak and act in accordance with the values you espouse through your art? Because Maynard and Danny clearly undertook to do this interview as representatives of Tool, in conjunction with Tool's latest piece of work, why not provide an example of compassion, understanding, empathy, love, etc.? It cheapens the whole body of work from Tool when the representatives contradict the message. Well, I for one won't let it stop me enjoying the music and attempting to live my life in accordance with those values Maynard has *talked* about. I hope everyone else will also do what he says, not what he does.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to speak to people on such a grand scale, directly and indirectly, why not use the interview opportunity productively? It tells you a lot about the person.
and this brought the original point right back into focus. very well said. they voluntarily accepted this interview i'm assuming since they admit to not let studios control their work. it may have been one concession to keep the record company execs outta the actual music, though, but even so "It cheapens the whole body of work from Tool when the representatives contradict the message." also your comparison of him being an insecure adolescent was spot on. i can handle him having anxiety disorders or whatnot, but to make yourself feel more comfortable by belittling others is not right. period.

anywho i guess i really shouldn't care, but for some reason it kinda does bother me. thankfully when i listened to 10,000 days in the car today none of these thoughts came up so i can still enjoy the music. =)
Old 04-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #180
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath
Maynard has every right to do whatever he wants, act however he wants, but why not take the opportunity to speak and act in accordance with the values you espouse through your art? Because Maynard and Danny clearly undertook to do this interview as representatives of Tool, in conjunction with Tool's latest piece of work, why not provide an example of compassion, understanding, empathy, love, etc.? It cheapens the whole body of work from Tool when the representatives contradict the message. Well, I for one won't let it stop me enjoying the music and attempting to live my life in accordance with those values Maynard has *talked* about. I hope everyone else will also do what he says, not what he does.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to speak to people on such a grand scale, directly and indirectly, why not use the interview opportunity productively? It tells you a lot about the person.
and this brought the original point right back into focus. very well said. they voluntarily accepted this interview i'm assuming since they admit to not let studios control their work. it may have been one concession to keep the record company execs outta the actual music, though, but even so "It cheapens the whole body of work from Tool when the representatives contradict the message." also your comparison of him being an insecure adolescent was spot on. i can handle him having anxiety disorders or whatnot, but to make yourself feel more comfortable by belittling others is not right. period.

anywho i guess i really shouldn't care, but for some reason it kinda does bother me. thankfully when i listened to 10,000 days in the car today none of these thoughts came up so i can still enjoy the music. =)
OFFLINE |  
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-28-2006, 01:07 PM

The only child thing probably does certainly have something to do with it (yes I am an only child). The man has got to have an ego, and think he has a valid opinion to express, to do what he does. And for any of us to fault him for that, well I'm sure he doesn't give one fuck anyway. He can't or he could not do what he does.

I'm not gonna get up on a soapbox, but I have been a certain place in my life, where I had many people pulling at me and wanting this and that from me. I'm sure some of you have as well... well you sort of realize, in the end none of these people would be there for you anyway if it came down to it, and so fuck... well fuck people, they grasp and they pull and they drain you until you're fucking spent and tired from it all. Smily faced glad hands with hidden agendas, so many people are. Don't get me wrong, in the end I want us all to be happy and safe and content, but sometimes I wonder if we ever will be. Human nature is a fucking beast and a burden so much of the time. And empathy, true empathy is a thing that not many people seem to posess.

Obviously with what Maynard talks about, he means well for everybody. It is readily apparent, and even though this is their "blues record" there is still optomism and transcendentalism - I get alot anyway.

I don't pretend to know what the man is about, but I will say if he were to listen to all you fuckers critiscizing him and complaining about things that don't really mean anything, he would be one tired and drained motherfucker. And there is no way he could do what he does, and what we love so much. It is readily apparent he is a great man in his heart, but people can become extremely annoying as this post dictates oh so very well.

Why don't you go put your energy complaining about Maynard into something that even holds a candle to what the man does himself. Yet another illustration of stupid monkeys...

Old 04-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #181
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

The only child thing probably does certainly have something to do with it (yes I am an only child). The man has got to have an ego, and think he has a valid opinion to express, to do what he does. And for any of us to fault him for that, well I'm sure he doesn't give one fuck anyway. He can't or he could not do what he does.

I'm not gonna get up on a soapbox, but I have been a certain place in my life, where I had many people pulling at me and wanting this and that from me. I'm sure some of you have as well... well you sort of realize, in the end none of these people would be there for you anyway if it came down to it, and so fuck... well fuck people, they grasp and they pull and they drain you until you're fucking spent and tired from it all. Smily faced glad hands with hidden agendas, so many people are. Don't get me wrong, in the end I want us all to be happy and safe and content, but sometimes I wonder if we ever will be. Human nature is a fucking beast and a burden so much of the time. And empathy, true empathy is a thing that not many people seem to posess.

Obviously with what Maynard talks about, he means well for everybody. It is readily apparent, and even though this is their "blues record" there is still optomism and transcendentalism - I get alot anyway.

I don't pretend to know what the man is about, but I will say if he were to listen to all you fuckers critiscizing him and complaining about things that don't really mean anything, he would be one tired and drained motherfucker. And there is no way he could do what he does, and what we love so much. It is readily apparent he is a great man in his heart, but people can become extremely annoying as this post dictates oh so very well.

Why don't you go put your energy complaining about Maynard into something that even holds a candle to what the man does himself. Yet another illustration of stupid monkeys...

04-28-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75
yeah I know, thats what I ve said, you didnt have to repeat my words...
Old 04-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #182
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
04-28-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady
Maynard is a P.I.M.P he sounds like a cool dude.

Do you blame maynard for acting that way during that Mtv interview? The guy brought up his fucking band. If i was MJK I would have thought the interviewer was trying to get signed or something. Maynard was being sarcastic anyway. Danny was laughing and mjk was even laughing. If MJK meant it he would have not been laughing his ass off.
While I agree with you nick, I don't think I've ever seen MJK laugh his ass off. Kind of sad
Old 04-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #183
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady
Maynard is a P.I.M.P he sounds like a cool dude.

Do you blame maynard for acting that way during that Mtv interview? The guy brought up his fucking band. If i was MJK I would have thought the interviewer was trying to get signed or something. Maynard was being sarcastic anyway. Danny was laughing and mjk was even laughing. If MJK meant it he would have not been laughing his ass off.
While I agree with you nick, I don't think I've ever seen MJK laugh his ass off. Kind of sad
04-28-2006, 01:14 PM

Of course Maynard is an asshole, thats why we all love him so much. There is perhaps nothing more appealing than unrequited admiration.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #184
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Of course Maynard is an asshole, thats why we all love him so much. There is perhaps nothing more appealing than unrequited admiration.
04-28-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I was more agreeing with you, but if you want to be a prick, go right ahead.....
Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #185
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I was more agreeing with you, but if you want to be a prick, go right ahead.....
montsegur
04-28-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
sorry, I thought you were talking to me when you said what you said.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #186
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
sorry, I thought you were talking to me when you said what you said.
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM

i love how people think ENTERTAINERS are supposed to be more than that.......ENTERTAINERS should be expected to ENTERTAIN, not be nice, fun to be around, or even humane......i'm a huge asshole and it's mostly because i hate humans.......i'm disgusted about 90% of the day with the human race......just so stupid and careless.....so i'm normally not in a mood to meet people and be their friends.....can't imagine if i were actually famous and everyone wanted to meet ME.....i'd just have to tell them to get fucked and let them hate me just so i could be at peace.........

it's very self righteous to think that an entertainer owes you anything but entertainment........john tesh is supposed to be a great guy, why not support him if the PERSON is more important than what they're actually selling you......

the same way with barry bonds....i'm a huge fan.......but people are on him all the time because he doesn't act fake nice like a Jeter or ARod..........not everyone is nice, not everyone is mean, not everyone is honest, etc..........

i personally would NOT want someone i didn't know to call me by my first name and strike up conversation.......

most people want that story to tell....."i saw maynard today in wal-mart and he shook my hand, we talked for a while and he hugged me goodbye and told me to call him later"........that shit is for the FAN, not for the object of their attention......fans take things too far...they're owed NOTHING and if they don't like it, then they shouldn't support that person....they should find them a nice, fake persona to adore......look what being nice to everyone did to tom cruise....he's nucking futs now
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #187
Level 1 - Lurker

i love how people think ENTERTAINERS are supposed to be more than that.......ENTERTAINERS should be expected to ENTERTAIN, not be nice, fun to be around, or even humane......i'm a huge asshole and it's mostly because i hate humans.......i'm disgusted about 90% of the day with the human race......just so stupid and careless.....so i'm normally not in a mood to meet people and be their friends.....can't imagine if i were actually famous and everyone wanted to meet ME.....i'd just have to tell them to get fucked and let them hate me just so i could be at peace.........

it's very self righteous to think that an entertainer owes you anything but entertainment........john tesh is supposed to be a great guy, why not support him if the PERSON is more important than what they're actually selling you......

the same way with barry bonds....i'm a huge fan.......but people are on him all the time because he doesn't act fake nice like a Jeter or ARod..........not everyone is nice, not everyone is mean, not everyone is honest, etc..........

i personally would NOT want someone i didn't know to call me by my first name and strike up conversation.......

most people want that story to tell....."i saw maynard today in wal-mart and he shook my hand, we talked for a while and he hugged me goodbye and told me to call him later"........that shit is for the FAN, not for the object of their attention......fans take things too far...they're owed NOTHING and if they don't like it, then they shouldn't support that person....they should find them a nice, fake persona to adore......look what being nice to everyone did to tom cruise....he's nucking futs now
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyduckworth

Not to get off subject, but people are all over Bonds because he cheated. He took steroids and made it into the record books because of it. If people are jumping him about his personality it's becasue he lacks moral character.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #188
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Not to get off subject, but people are all over Bonds because he cheated. He took steroids and made it into the record books because of it. If people are jumping him about his personality it's becasue he lacks moral character.
Octopod's Avatar Octopod
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny_309
B-
This situation is different, because you and your attractive friend accepted an invitation to go worship a rock star. What happened, did he hit on her? Invite her to have sex? Try to sleaze her into some back room? Well, what did you expect?

When you go to a show, and someone in your party is a beautiful woman, and you happen to get invited backstage, sex is almost ALWAYS the reason. If no one in your group knows the band, there is no other reason why you would be invited to meet with them. You either accept the invitation and go, or you kindly refuse. If, on the other hand, you paid for a VIP pass so that you could go play sheep to the reverend, then you're just asking for this type of situation, imo.

If you are truly there for the art, then why would you need to meet the performers? If you really need to meet an artist, then you're interested in getting more than an artistic experience, and anytime that happens, I'm not surprised at all when it turns out to be disappointing. I've read similar accounts of Keenan trying to get two teenage asian girls to go back to his Winnebago with him after an APC show, and all I can think is that if you are a beautiful girl and you get a VIP pass, then you're either trying to bang someone or you're as intelligent as a couch. Don't tell me that all you really want to do is shake hands and get an autograph from someone like Maynard. He's not going to hand out the Jesus treatment, and why? Because he's a musician trying to get laid on the road like about 100,000 others like him. In my experience, people usually get what they're asking for in those situations.

Is Keenan an asshole? Ask someone who really knows him. Ask Jones or Carrey. Is his art debatable in light of his actions outside of performing that art? No. And when you pay for a CD, you're not paying for Maynard James Keenan the person, you're paying for a vision he created. You're not paying for the right to meet him, or talk to him, or be a part of his life outside of the audience he performs in front of. If that's what you think you're paying for, then you need to grow up. And if you still feel some kind of gratification from meeting famous people, then you should take the time to consider the fact that your gratification comes at the price of those people being completely fake and insincere with you. When musicians are nice and cordial backstage to their fans, they are just making the best of an incredibly awkward situation. They're not being real. You can't be real to someone who meets you once and showers you with praise. To me, this type of fakeness is exactly what Keenan is refusing when he's a prick to someone he doesn't know. He's refusing to be fake with you by giving you his honest feelings on the matter: He hates it.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #189
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny_309
B-
This situation is different, because you and your attractive friend accepted an invitation to go worship a rock star. What happened, did he hit on her? Invite her to have sex? Try to sleaze her into some back room? Well, what did you expect?

When you go to a show, and someone in your party is a beautiful woman, and you happen to get invited backstage, sex is almost ALWAYS the reason. If no one in your group knows the band, there is no other reason why you would be invited to meet with them. You either accept the invitation and go, or you kindly refuse. If, on the other hand, you paid for a VIP pass so that you could go play sheep to the reverend, then you're just asking for this type of situation, imo.

If you are truly there for the art, then why would you need to meet the performers? If you really need to meet an artist, then you're interested in getting more than an artistic experience, and anytime that happens, I'm not surprised at all when it turns out to be disappointing. I've read similar accounts of Keenan trying to get two teenage asian girls to go back to his Winnebago with him after an APC show, and all I can think is that if you are a beautiful girl and you get a VIP pass, then you're either trying to bang someone or you're as intelligent as a couch. Don't tell me that all you really want to do is shake hands and get an autograph from someone like Maynard. He's not going to hand out the Jesus treatment, and why? Because he's a musician trying to get laid on the road like about 100,000 others like him. In my experience, people usually get what they're asking for in those situations.

Is Keenan an asshole? Ask someone who really knows him. Ask Jones or Carrey. Is his art debatable in light of his actions outside of performing that art? No. And when you pay for a CD, you're not paying for Maynard James Keenan the person, you're paying for a vision he created. You're not paying for the right to meet him, or talk to him, or be a part of his life outside of the audience he performs in front of. If that's what you think you're paying for, then you need to grow up. And if you still feel some kind of gratification from meeting famous people, then you should take the time to consider the fact that your gratification comes at the price of those people being completely fake and insincere with you. When musicians are nice and cordial backstage to their fans, they are just making the best of an incredibly awkward situation. They're not being real. You can't be real to someone who meets you once and showers you with praise. To me, this type of fakeness is exactly what Keenan is refusing when he's a prick to someone he doesn't know. He's refusing to be fake with you by giving you his honest feelings on the matter: He hates it.
04-28-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSmith v2.0
no
no
no spiral in

This reminds me of that one time I walked to the mall about 5 miles away to buy lateralus the day it came out. It was a nice day, the birds were chirping, sky was blue- and all of a sudden i got hit by a car- some old redneck hit me with his pickup and because of that I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. During my operations i dreamt that tool had broken up.

if i would have known it was you i would have backed the car up and finished the job.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #190
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSmith v2.0
no
no
no spiral in

This reminds me of that one time I walked to the mall about 5 miles away to buy lateralus the day it came out. It was a nice day, the birds were chirping, sky was blue- and all of a sudden i got hit by a car- some old redneck hit me with his pickup and because of that I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. During my operations i dreamt that tool had broken up.

if i would have known it was you i would have backed the car up and finished the job.
04-28-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Yes, he could be a cock, to which I respond, who cares?
Old 04-28-2006, 02:01 PM   #191
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:

OFFLINE |  
Opiate Son's Avatar Opiate Son
04-28-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
agreed
Old 04-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #192
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

Quote:
agreed
04-28-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more about the humans part lol... what is this a fucking joke. This thread demonstrates the whole fucking thing in pretty precise detail...

I still have hope, but it's dwindling steadily and quickly...
Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #193
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:

Couldn't agree more about the humans part lol... what is this a fucking joke. This thread demonstrates the whole fucking thing in pretty precise detail...

I still have hope, but it's dwindling steadily and quickly...
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM

This is a very interesting thread and i would have much to say in it, but it would take us nowhere, things are developing too fast, there are too many posts. I will make just a few points.

My feelings about Maynard are mixed. I absolutely understand and share his point about "work and not the artist" being truly important, but at the same time sometimes his behaviour in interviews and so is just mean and i would never ever treat anybody like that no matter how great or famous or talented i was. And that does hurt me in a way, even if i know Tool's music is not about Tool members and alll that. This MTV interview is pretty much ok, its not that bad, but still i would be much nicer to the interviewer, poor guy was kind and also very confused and insecure, i thought he had much respect for the band and some support from Maynard would help him feel more comfortable. Danny was ok and seemed like a cool guy really (i dont know much about bandmembers nor do i care since i respect their "music above all" agenda).

I dont idolize Maynard but i do identify with his work and would like him to be, well, better person... That wouldnt be bad, even if it has nothing to do with the quality of his art. No matter how weird it sounds, but it does affect me in the case of artists who are still alive (i dont mind say Beethoven being a similar sort of "prick", as you say). On the other hand we dont know Maynard and i would guess his psychology is a very complex story.

I wish backstage sex orgies were not true in case of Tool. I dont know if they do that but i surely wish they dont. I dont know if thery're married, except for Maynard, but rockstar fuckers is not how they presented themselves in their work.

BTW, i dont like how some of you kind of look down on MTV and "human race" and all that. Thats pathetic, imo, no offense. And if anyone has the chance to make some effect and change things for better THROUGH media like MTV, it is bands like Tool or Radiohead. They are not supposed to cheapen their music, but it is very ok to try to use this mass media as a tool for conveying some meaningful messages to the masses.

I for one enjoy good pop music as well and have positive opinion of some MTV brand artists, so i feel glad when i see Tool gets the spot on this (oh, so stupid of course!) channel as well...

Last edited by vedrimir; 04-28-2006 at 03:17 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #194
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

This is a very interesting thread and i would have much to say in it, but it would take us nowhere, things are developing too fast, there are too many posts. I will make just a few points.

My feelings about Maynard are mixed. I absolutely understand and share his point about "work and not the artist" being truly important, but at the same time sometimes his behaviour in interviews and so is just mean and i would never ever treat anybody like that no matter how great or famous or talented i was. And that does hurt me in a way, even if i know Tool's music is not about Tool members and alll that. This MTV interview is pretty much ok, its not that bad, but still i would be much nicer to the interviewer, poor guy was kind and also very confused and insecure, i thought he had much respect for the band and some support from Maynard would help him feel more comfortable. Danny was ok and seemed like a cool guy really (i dont know much about bandmembers nor do i care since i respect their "music above all" agenda).

I dont idolize Maynard but i do identify with his work and would like him to be, well, better person... That wouldnt be bad, even if it has nothing to do with the quality of his art. No matter how weird it sounds, but it does affect me in the case of artists who are still alive (i dont mind say Beethoven being a similar sort of "prick", as you say). On the other hand we dont know Maynard and i would guess his psychology is a very complex story.

I wish backstage sex orgies were not true in case of Tool. I dont know if they do that but i surely wish they dont. I dont know if thery're married, except for Maynard, but rockstar fuckers is not how they presented themselves in their work.

BTW, i dont like how some of you kind of look down on MTV and "human race" and all that. Thats pathetic, imo, no offense. And if anyone has the chance to make some effect and change things for better THROUGH media like MTV, it is bands like Tool or Radiohead. They are not supposed to cheapen their music, but it is very ok to try to use this mass media as a tool for conveying some meaningful messages to the masses.

I for one enjoy good pop music as well and have positive opinion of some MTV brand artists, so i feel glad when i see Tool gets the spot on this (oh, so stupid of course!) channel as well...

Last edited by vedrimir; 04-28-2006 at 03:17 PM..
OFFLINE |  
britishempire's Avatar britishempire
04-28-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemheth
Exactly, so the best thing to say to Maynard in the street:
(in a loud imitative shout)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY,
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY.

Then he would know you're a fan, and that he's a cunt.

^ exactly what I would do if I met him in the street.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #195
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemheth
Exactly, so the best thing to say to Maynard in the street:
(in a loud imitative shout)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY,
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY.

Then he would know you're a fan, and that he's a cunt.

^ exactly what I would do if I met him in the street.
vedrimir
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM

BTW, you guys are great and you've made so many good and argumented points, i really enjoyed reading your posts...
Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #196
Level 7 - Loquacious

BTW, you guys are great and you've made so many good and argumented points, i really enjoyed reading your posts...
OFFLINE |  
the-repent
04-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Maynard is a Schizophrenic i thought we all knew that?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #197
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynard is a Schizophrenic i thought we all knew that?
OFFLINE |  
intoaneye's Avatar intoaneye
04-28-2006, 04:05 PM

And if maynard was a nice guy in interviews there will be people complaining about that and how he just makes up things because if someone is that nice you cant make such believable music which he has wrote. Trust me there would be a post about this. Pointless threads I swear.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #198
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 50

And if maynard was a nice guy in interviews there will be people complaining about that and how he just makes up things because if someone is that nice you cant make such believable music which he has wrote. Trust me there would be a post about this. Pointless threads I swear.
04-28-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopod
I've read similar accounts of Keenan trying to get two teenage asian girls to go back to his Winnebago with him after an APC show, and all I can think is that if you are a beautiful girl and you get a VIP pass, then you're either trying to bang someone or you're as intelligent as a couch.
Exactly! Very well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.nzherald.co.nz
"Once you've walked off stage, and you've been in this emotional space," explains Keenan, "it's hard to turn that off and you don't a lot of the time. And that's why people say, 'He's an arsehole'."

He's got better over the years, he reckons, but he still has his moments. "Sometimes I'm even more bitter," he says.
Translate- "bitter" = horny and need to fuck young girls.

just put yourself in his position. The shows that he puts on have a lot of energy and angst. Once he gets off stage, he needs to let it out and breath it back in. He ain't going to do yoga (though Adam might. and i've heard Danny likes to shoot hoop while Justin rides his mountain bike talking on a cellphone). Being on stage, being in his position, you can imagine how his head is completely fucked and raped by the fans.

fuck young girls = yoga

and fucking young boys would be another discussion.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #199
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopod
I've read similar accounts of Keenan trying to get two teenage asian girls to go back to his Winnebago with him after an APC show, and all I can think is that if you are a beautiful girl and you get a VIP pass, then you're either trying to bang someone or you're as intelligent as a couch.
Exactly! Very well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.nzherald.co.nz
"Once you've walked off stage, and you've been in this emotional space," explains Keenan, "it's hard to turn that off and you don't a lot of the time. And that's why people say, 'He's an arsehole'."

He's got better over the years, he reckons, but he still has his moments. "Sometimes I'm even more bitter," he says.
Translate- "bitter" = horny and need to fuck young girls.

just put yourself in his position. The shows that he puts on have a lot of energy and angst. Once he gets off stage, he needs to let it out and breath it back in. He ain't going to do yoga (though Adam might. and i've heard Danny likes to shoot hoop while Justin rides his mountain bike talking on a cellphone). Being on stage, being in his position, you can imagine how his head is completely fucked and raped by the fans.

fuck young girls = yoga

and fucking young boys would be another discussion.
04-28-2006, 04:19 PM

"And if maynard was a nice guy in interviews there will be people complaining about that and how he just makes up things because if someone is that nice you cant make such believable music which he has wrote."

This is true, but theres something in between those two extremes. Maybe it is not just about "kindness" but about decency. I suppose none of us expects Maynard to be "pop fake", but i can definitely sense something unpleasant in his presence.

I do understand his viewpoint and completely agree with it, as i said, but i think his behaviour is not always in accordance to "step back" thing and simply goes over the edge. I really like it when he cuts stupid questions short, and sometimes hes really funny, but i guess Morissey's way of being ironic works much better. Maynard is often not ironic but plain rude and that does have some effect on my perception of his basically perfectly unknown persona. How come the rest of the members are kind and dont compromise themselves, or dont compromise themselves but are still kind?

In the end, this may be a pointless thread, but people here told many meaningful things i think.

Last edited by vedrimir; 04-28-2006 at 04:23 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #200
Level 7 - Loquacious

"And if maynard was a nice guy in interviews there will be people complaining about that and how he just makes up things because if someone is that nice you cant make such believable music which he has wrote."

This is true, but theres something in between those two extremes. Maybe it is not just about "kindness" but about decency. I suppose none of us expects Maynard to be "pop fake", but i can definitely sense something unpleasant in his presence.

I do understand his viewpoint and completely agree with it, as i said, but i think his behaviour is not always in accordance to "step back" thing and simply goes over the edge. I really like it when he cuts stupid questions short, and sometimes hes really funny, but i guess Morissey's way of being ironic works much better. Maynard is often not ironic but plain rude and that does have some effect on my perception of his basically perfectly unknown persona. How come the rest of the members are kind and dont compromise themselves, or dont compromise themselves but are still kind?

In the end, this may be a pointless thread, but people here told many meaningful things i think.

Last edited by vedrimir; 04-28-2006 at 04:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply