Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
knowthyself
04-28-2006, 05:25 AM

I love lead singers who connect with the fans and are humbled by their success. Seeing a singer stand their coldly like he's better than you....its always distancing. Seeing a singer look you in the eye, smile, and jump into the crowd..thats always awesome.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:25 AM   #81
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard = asshole?

I love lead singers who connect with the fans and are humbled by their success. Seeing a singer stand their coldly like he's better than you....its always distancing. Seeing a singer look you in the eye, smile, and jump into the crowd..thats always awesome.
OFFLINE |  
bales
04-28-2006, 05:29 AM

i've always thought maynard comes across as a prick. i don't know if he is a prick on a personal level, cause guess what? i've never met him.

that being said, i would never want to be famous. all the media misinterpreting my art to further my career. all the fanboys stressing over what cereal i eat for breakfast. people bothering me for autographs when i'm trying to eat dinner. i would come across as every bit as much an asshole as maynard is. i give him respect for not being fake and pretending like he enjoys all the bullshit.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:29 AM   #82
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i've always thought maynard comes across as a prick. i don't know if he is a prick on a personal level, cause guess what? i've never met him.

that being said, i would never want to be famous. all the media misinterpreting my art to further my career. all the fanboys stressing over what cereal i eat for breakfast. people bothering me for autographs when i'm trying to eat dinner. i would come across as every bit as much an asshole as maynard is. i give him respect for not being fake and pretending like he enjoys all the bullshit.
OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-28-2006, 05:30 AM

Bahl Jingermouth is courteous to his crowd.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:30 AM   #83
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Bahl Jingermouth is courteous to his crowd.
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-28-2006, 05:33 AM

In the end Maynard is a little guy with a short mans complex. He's said it himself. I'm sure he's a good guy once you get to know him, but I do think he's got some serious disdain for his fans. Which is fine, it's the music not person behind it that matters. I do see his point about wanting to be left alone, it's not like these guys go out and look for attention. You don't see them hanging out at the playboy mansion, or walking red carpets. People need to learn to leave people alone, even if they're famous.

Now Danny is a really cool guy. Bullshitted with him after a PLC show in Denver. The guy was open and friendly. He actually went out into the crowd and talked with people after the show.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #84
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

In the end Maynard is a little guy with a short mans complex. He's said it himself. I'm sure he's a good guy once you get to know him, but I do think he's got some serious disdain for his fans. Which is fine, it's the music not person behind it that matters. I do see his point about wanting to be left alone, it's not like these guys go out and look for attention. You don't see them hanging out at the playboy mansion, or walking red carpets. People need to learn to leave people alone, even if they're famous.

Now Danny is a really cool guy. Bullshitted with him after a PLC show in Denver. The guy was open and friendly. He actually went out into the crowd and talked with people after the show.
Juanjay
04-28-2006, 05:48 AM

BTW he was actually pretty nice in 03 during Lolla.

I have no idea why people think he's an asshole. But just because he makes records and you buy them doesn't mean he has to be nice.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:48 AM   #85
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

BTW he was actually pretty nice in 03 during Lolla.

I have no idea why people think he's an asshole. But just because he makes records and you buy them doesn't mean he has to be nice.
OFFLINE |  
knowthyself
04-28-2006, 05:50 AM

Yeah he's entitled to whatever demeanor he chooses. Hell I stopped asking for autographs and taking pictures a long time ago. Even small talk with band members feels like bullshit to me so I don't bother with it anymore.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #86
On Probation

Yeah he's entitled to whatever demeanor he chooses. Hell I stopped asking for autographs and taking pictures a long time ago. Even small talk with band members feels like bullshit to me so I don't bother with it anymore.
OFFLINE |  
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
04-28-2006, 05:50 AM

asshole if by that you mean...super sarcastic and witty then yes...he is absolutely brilliant...and that is why people go on and on and on about the dude
Old 04-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #87
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

asshole if by that you mean...super sarcastic and witty then yes...he is absolutely brilliant...and that is why people go on and on and on about the dude
04-28-2006, 06:00 AM

Maybe he's a Vulcan and wants us to live long and prosper.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 AM   #88
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Maybe he's a Vulcan and wants us to live long and prosper.
OFFLINE |  
yasoon
04-28-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75
In the end Maynard is a little guy with a short mans complex. He's said it himself. I'm sure he's a good guy once you get to know him, but I do think he's got some serious disdain for his fans.
I was about to say this.

I think Maynard's disdain for the normal trappings of fame are part of what make him able to continue putting out art that is relevant.

Look at some of his contemporaries who have been worshipped. Cobain blew his brains out because of it(and Cuntney Love), Vedder basically hid for 10 years, Thom Yorke is extremely inward and freaked out by fame.

I agree that Maynard comes off as somewhat of a dick most of the time. I usually find it funny. But....I know alot of us want to tell him what his art means to us and I think he is uncomfortable with that idea...especially in places outside of the music.

There are some artists who thrive on having people bow to their sack...he's not one of them. I've randomly run into several famous guys in the last few years...I just say what's up, like I know them. Then I leave them the fuck alone.

I grew up on Metallica(yes, I know they've sucked for quite some time)...saw James at a bar a few years ago, shook his hand...he was very polite and I let him get on with his night. I think if more of us just treated them as normal dudes, more of them would be open to random interactions.

Even though 80% of us may just want to shake maynard's hand, it's these fuckers who say "Maynard I made a sculpture of you out of my girlfriend's shit" that make a guy leary of everyone out there. Combine that with a guarded, napoleanic dude and you're gonna get some prickly behavior.

Many of the true artists out there are not really fit to interact with random strangers. Hell, it's true with alot of athletes, actors, whatever. The whole "i'm not the idealized person that you expect to meet" freaks folks out.

It's not how I handle myself to the 5 adoring fans that swarm me after every show....but hey, we're all different :)

I imagine Maynard is good to his inner circle. He would not have been able to maintain this realationship with tool were he not to have some level of empathy.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #89
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75
In the end Maynard is a little guy with a short mans complex. He's said it himself. I'm sure he's a good guy once you get to know him, but I do think he's got some serious disdain for his fans.
I was about to say this.

I think Maynard's disdain for the normal trappings of fame are part of what make him able to continue putting out art that is relevant.

Look at some of his contemporaries who have been worshipped. Cobain blew his brains out because of it(and Cuntney Love), Vedder basically hid for 10 years, Thom Yorke is extremely inward and freaked out by fame.

I agree that Maynard comes off as somewhat of a dick most of the time. I usually find it funny. But....I know alot of us want to tell him what his art means to us and I think he is uncomfortable with that idea...especially in places outside of the music.

There are some artists who thrive on having people bow to their sack...he's not one of them. I've randomly run into several famous guys in the last few years...I just say what's up, like I know them. Then I leave them the fuck alone.

I grew up on Metallica(yes, I know they've sucked for quite some time)...saw James at a bar a few years ago, shook his hand...he was very polite and I let him get on with his night. I think if more of us just treated them as normal dudes, more of them would be open to random interactions.

Even though 80% of us may just want to shake maynard's hand, it's these fuckers who say "Maynard I made a sculpture of you out of my girlfriend's shit" that make a guy leary of everyone out there. Combine that with a guarded, napoleanic dude and you're gonna get some prickly behavior.

Many of the true artists out there are not really fit to interact with random strangers. Hell, it's true with alot of athletes, actors, whatever. The whole "i'm not the idealized person that you expect to meet" freaks folks out.

It's not how I handle myself to the 5 adoring fans that swarm me after every show....but hey, we're all different :)

I imagine Maynard is good to his inner circle. He would not have been able to maintain this realationship with tool were he not to have some level of empathy.
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
04-28-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
No. But I GUARANTEE you that if you saw Maynard walking down the street and you said, not in a psychotic fan type of way, just "Hey Maynard! Whats up man?!" He'd ether blow by you or say some smart ass snide remark. Yea, he tries to protect his personal image by not getting too intimate with the fans, but to just stop and chat with a fan...........I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.
This is pathetic.
You can read what he has to say about his personality in a recent interview. I understand completely. I dont like to be around people a whole lot and I dont necessarily like constant attention from people I dont know. Call me an asshole, then, as well, because if someone bothered me at a park where I was playing with my son, I would be irritated. Someone just talking, no, but if they are talking to me for a reason that irritates me, i.e. you want to hold me up on some kind of fanboi pedestal, then yeah, get the fuck away. Perhaps he is teaching you a lesson yet again. Dont have human idols. He didnt ask to be yours and he doesnt want to be.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:09 AM   #90
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
No. But I GUARANTEE you that if you saw Maynard walking down the street and you said, not in a psychotic fan type of way, just "Hey Maynard! Whats up man?!" He'd ether blow by you or say some smart ass snide remark. Yea, he tries to protect his personal image by not getting too intimate with the fans, but to just stop and chat with a fan...........I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.
This is pathetic.
You can read what he has to say about his personality in a recent interview. I understand completely. I dont like to be around people a whole lot and I dont necessarily like constant attention from people I dont know. Call me an asshole, then, as well, because if someone bothered me at a park where I was playing with my son, I would be irritated. Someone just talking, no, but if they are talking to me for a reason that irritates me, i.e. you want to hold me up on some kind of fanboi pedestal, then yeah, get the fuck away. Perhaps he is teaching you a lesson yet again. Dont have human idols. He didnt ask to be yours and he doesnt want to be.
OFFLINE |  
Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Dirty Sanchez
04-28-2006, 06:14 AM

Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #91
4 8 15 16 23 42

Bincount™: 797

04-28-2006, 06:14 AM

Where can I find this interview that the original poster is talking about?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 1

Where can I find this interview that the original poster is talking about?
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-28-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
This is pathetic.
Very true.
There is a time and place for this kind of thing. Band meet and greats, or when they obviously are open to fans, are the only time that you should approach them.
I don't see why people have to freak over other people
Old 04-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #93
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

Quote:
This is pathetic.
Very true.
There is a time and place for this kind of thing. Band meet and greats, or when they obviously are open to fans, are the only time that you should approach them.
I don't see why people have to freak over other people
Juanjay
04-28-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasoon
I was about to say this.

Well put.

My cousin is pretty big in music and its basically the same shit, I've been out with him and he's been nice when people come up to BS with him but then they hang around and that's when shit gets awkward.

I can't speak for Maynard but I'm thinking the people that are basically sychophants talk to him it freaks him out and that has to be awkward for him.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #94
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasoon
I was about to say this.

Well put.

My cousin is pretty big in music and its basically the same shit, I've been out with him and he's been nice when people come up to BS with him but then they hang around and that's when shit gets awkward.

I can't speak for Maynard but I'm thinking the people that are basically sychophants talk to him it freaks him out and that has to be awkward for him.
OFFLINE |  
Scratch's Avatar Scratch
04-28-2006, 06:17 AM

Guest 272: TOOL AND MANSON SHOULD TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MK: 272 should leave the room
Old 04-28-2006, 06:17 AM   #95
Banned.

Bincount™: 378

OFFLINE |  
MantisMandibles's Avatar MantisMandibles
04-28-2006, 06:17 AM

I didn't even think 'ol Nardy was all that assholish in that interview. Uncomfortable and awkward, yes. A bit standoffish, sure. And yes, he even held a visible contempt for the interviewer. But he wasn't a total dick. Not like Axel Rose, or someone equally detestable. At least he was funny. I think people are just misinterpreting his body language. He's obviously uncomfortable in those situations. That's perfectly acceptable. And understandable. He shouldn't have to plaster on some fake facial expression and pretend like he wants to be there.

Maybe I'm being over-sympathetic, or maybe I can just relate. I've got a best friend who carries himself almost identically. To a stranger, my friend might appear like a dick, but really he is just incapable of operating gracefully in social situations. I have the same difficulties. Nervous laughter, strained smiles, a reluctance to make eye-contact. These are all traits a socially anxious person might display. To such people (myself included), it is virtually impossible to immediately meet a stranger, shake his hand, look him in the eye, and smile warmly. Instead, we might go through all same motions, yet demonstrate an acute discomfort in doing so. This, of course, almost invariably gets misinterpreted by the more socially adept, whom simply can't understand why someone would act in such a fashion. I don't entirely understand it myself. I just know that it's beyond control. As much as I'd like to, I can't just turn it off at will. I suspect that Maynard probably has a lot of the same difficulties.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:17 AM   #96
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 230

I didn't even think 'ol Nardy was all that assholish in that interview. Uncomfortable and awkward, yes. A bit standoffish, sure. And yes, he even held a visible contempt for the interviewer. But he wasn't a total dick. Not like Axel Rose, or someone equally detestable. At least he was funny. I think people are just misinterpreting his body language. He's obviously uncomfortable in those situations. That's perfectly acceptable. And understandable. He shouldn't have to plaster on some fake facial expression and pretend like he wants to be there.

Maybe I'm being over-sympathetic, or maybe I can just relate. I've got a best friend who carries himself almost identically. To a stranger, my friend might appear like a dick, but really he is just incapable of operating gracefully in social situations. I have the same difficulties. Nervous laughter, strained smiles, a reluctance to make eye-contact. These are all traits a socially anxious person might display. To such people (myself included), it is virtually impossible to immediately meet a stranger, shake his hand, look him in the eye, and smile warmly. Instead, we might go through all same motions, yet demonstrate an acute discomfort in doing so. This, of course, almost invariably gets misinterpreted by the more socially adept, whom simply can't understand why someone would act in such a fashion. I don't entirely understand it myself. I just know that it's beyond control. As much as I'd like to, I can't just turn it off at will. I suspect that Maynard probably has a lot of the same difficulties.
OFFLINE |  
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
04-28-2006, 06:24 AM

I would be an asshole too if I was in the public eye like he is. I'm sure he has a better personality when he is around his friends and loved ones.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #97
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

I would be an asshole too if I was in the public eye like he is. I'm sure he has a better personality when he is around his friends and loved ones.
DispReflTri78
04-28-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch
Hahahaha that's awesome.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #98
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch
Hahahaha that's awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Descencia's Avatar Descencia
04-28-2006, 06:39 AM

I act the same way though. I'm very introverted and standoffish. My gf and family are the only ones that actually know me and I have like 2 friends that I alternately hang out with. I'm an Aries and it might be an Aries thing because Maynard is also one and every other Aries I have known has that type of demeanor. But if I met him I would ask if he lol'd at that scene in Gummo when Max Perlich is tweaking his nip to that guy having sex with the retarded girl in the room.

Last edited by Descencia; 04-28-2006 at 06:45 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #99
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

I act the same way though. I'm very introverted and standoffish. My gf and family are the only ones that actually know me and I have like 2 friends that I alternately hang out with. I'm an Aries and it might be an Aries thing because Maynard is also one and every other Aries I have known has that type of demeanor. But if I met him I would ask if he lol'd at that scene in Gummo when Max Perlich is tweaking his nip to that guy having sex with the retarded girl in the room.

Last edited by Descencia; 04-28-2006 at 06:45 AM..
OFFLINE |  
xineax
04-28-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just simulacra
every human's viewing the world through a different set of gods eyes.
i think its pretty obvious beneath maynard's assholic attitude, is a positive spirit.
who knows what hands he's been dealt in his personal life?
in the same way everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt,
the small glimpses of his attitude should be taken with a bit of empathy.
True. Do you think press junkets are fun for a person who is admittedly shy? He could be very cool to his friends, we are not his friends and that's ok with me. He makes art I like, I don't worship him, and I don't have any outrageously childish expectations of him like, "Be nice, please!?"

Anyway that MTV Germany interviewer asked the stupidest questions. She sorta got what she deserved, because she was very unprepared.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:01 AM   #100
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by just simulacra
every human's viewing the world through a different set of gods eyes.
i think its pretty obvious beneath maynard's assholic attitude, is a positive spirit.
who knows what hands he's been dealt in his personal life?
in the same way everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt,
the small glimpses of his attitude should be taken with a bit of empathy.
True. Do you think press junkets are fun for a person who is admittedly shy? He could be very cool to his friends, we are not his friends and that's ok with me. He makes art I like, I don't worship him, and I don't have any outrageously childish expectations of him like, "Be nice, please!?"

Anyway that MTV Germany interviewer asked the stupidest questions. She sorta got what she deserved, because she was very unprepared.
OFFLINE |  
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
04-28-2006, 07:10 AM

The interview paints a pretty sad picture of Maynard. Clearly, the interviewer did not approach him while he was having a drink with a friend or while playing in the park with his son. No one forced Maynard and Danny to do an interview, they chose to do it. That excuse is just not available to Maynard here. It kind of reminds me of being in your early teens and you see someone insulting someone else and condescending to them, as Maynard does to this interviewer. It is quite telling to see him getting such pleasure out of condescending to an Mtv interviewer, especially the whole "my band is successful and yours isn't" part. How sad is that. Maynard must feel so superior to this guy, and you realize that that is not saying much in the whole scheme of things. Then, to see Maynard condescend to the interviewer and then look over/up at Danny for approval; it just looks like some insecure teenager picking on an even more insecure teenager. Humans will always disappoint you.

Maynard's lyrics are amazing, his singing is breathtaking and as inspiring as his lyrics. It's just amazing that all of that can come out of this same person I see in this interview. It's almost impossible to reconcile the two. To bring all of the psychological, spiritual, and emotional depth of understanding and at the same time feel the need to be a condescending little prick to an interviewer. Maynard has every right to do whatever he wants, act however he wants, but why not take the opportunity to speak and act in accordance with the values you espouse through your art? Because Maynard and Danny clearly undertook to do this interview as representatives of Tool, in conjunction with Tool's latest piece of work, why not provide an example of compassion, understanding, empathy, love, etc.? It cheapens the whole body of work from Tool when the representatives contradict the message. Well, I for one won't let it stop me enjoying the music and attempting to live my life in accordance with those values Maynard has *talked* about. I hope everyone else will also do what he says, not what he does.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to speak to people on such a grand scale, directly and indirectly, why not use the interview opportunity productively? It tells you a lot about the person.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #101
Prana

Bincount™: 8

The interview paints a pretty sad picture of Maynard. Clearly, the interviewer did not approach him while he was having a drink with a friend or while playing in the park with his son. No one forced Maynard and Danny to do an interview, they chose to do it. That excuse is just not available to Maynard here. It kind of reminds me of being in your early teens and you see someone insulting someone else and condescending to them, as Maynard does to this interviewer. It is quite telling to see him getting such pleasure out of condescending to an Mtv interviewer, especially the whole "my band is successful and yours isn't" part. How sad is that. Maynard must feel so superior to this guy, and you realize that that is not saying much in the whole scheme of things. Then, to see Maynard condescend to the interviewer and then look over/up at Danny for approval; it just looks like some insecure teenager picking on an even more insecure teenager. Humans will always disappoint you.

Maynard's lyrics are amazing, his singing is breathtaking and as inspiring as his lyrics. It's just amazing that all of that can come out of this same person I see in this interview. It's almost impossible to reconcile the two. To bring all of the psychological, spiritual, and emotional depth of understanding and at the same time feel the need to be a condescending little prick to an interviewer. Maynard has every right to do whatever he wants, act however he wants, but why not take the opportunity to speak and act in accordance with the values you espouse through your art? Because Maynard and Danny clearly undertook to do this interview as representatives of Tool, in conjunction with Tool's latest piece of work, why not provide an example of compassion, understanding, empathy, love, etc.? It cheapens the whole body of work from Tool when the representatives contradict the message. Well, I for one won't let it stop me enjoying the music and attempting to live my life in accordance with those values Maynard has *talked* about. I hope everyone else will also do what he says, not what he does.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to speak to people on such a grand scale, directly and indirectly, why not use the interview opportunity productively? It tells you a lot about the person.
04-28-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchochichi
I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself

I love Mike Patton, but you must have gotten him on a really good day because he makes Maynard look like a little angel most of the time.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #102
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself

I love Mike Patton, but you must have gotten him on a really good day because he makes Maynard look like a little angel most of the time.
04-28-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjay
Well put.

Who's your cousin? Just curious
Old 04-28-2006, 07:45 AM   #103
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Well put.

Who's your cousin? Just curious
OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-28-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitronic
Yeah Mike Patton is one of those guys that knows how talented he is. But he wasn't a prick when I met him but to alot of people he has been.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #104
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitronic
Yeah Mike Patton is one of those guys that knows how talented he is. But he wasn't a prick when I met him but to alot of people he has been.
OFFLINE |  
xineax
04-28-2006, 07:57 AM

Well, for people that think these interviews matter at all, it's certainly about the image rather than the message. Somebody needs a wahhhhmbulance.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #105
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well, for people that think these interviews matter at all, it's certainly about the image rather than the message. Somebody needs a wahhhhmbulance.
OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-28-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I got my pic taken w/ Patton when I was in college. I look ridiculous and Patton has a gash on his nose like somebody punched him in the face.

Its the best.

He was being a dick for the most part... but his dressing room was absolutely crammed with strangers as he tried to eat. I couldn't believe the chaos. Some dude came up and said - can I have your autograph... Patton just held up his hoagie and said "what does this look like".

You also have the guys that have 300 stickers for them to sign. That must be a real treat.

My girl was talking to Roddy Bottum about "King for a day..." and told him that the it was her favorite album but it did so poorly because they released "diggin the grave" as the single and it was the worst song on the album. Brutally honest. I think shes right. When I overheard the conversation my jaw dropped. She's a musician as well so I think she's just being honest about her opinion with the dude.

If you want to approach somebody don't do it in a situation in which you think they would hate it. Hands down.

Last edited by badshirt; 04-28-2006 at 08:09 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #106
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I got my pic taken w/ Patton when I was in college. I look ridiculous and Patton has a gash on his nose like somebody punched him in the face.

Its the best.

He was being a dick for the most part... but his dressing room was absolutely crammed with strangers as he tried to eat. I couldn't believe the chaos. Some dude came up and said - can I have your autograph... Patton just held up his hoagie and said "what does this look like".

You also have the guys that have 300 stickers for them to sign. That must be a real treat.

My girl was talking to Roddy Bottum about "King for a day..." and told him that the it was her favorite album but it did so poorly because they released "diggin the grave" as the single and it was the worst song on the album. Brutally honest. I think shes right. When I overheard the conversation my jaw dropped. She's a musician as well so I think she's just being honest about her opinion with the dude.

If you want to approach somebody don't do it in a situation in which you think they would hate it. Hands down.

Last edited by badshirt; 04-28-2006 at 08:09 AM..
OFFLINE |  
manuspurs
04-28-2006, 08:08 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I met him in 2000 in Austin (kinda contradicting myself because he DID meet us and sign stuff) but he is just not very nice. No, I wasn't expecting him to perform a juggling act but at least feign some sincerity for his fans and the 10 people or so who waited for him to come out. I think he tries too hard on his persona. These guys aren't stupid though. They know giving less of themselves only makes people want more. Economics 101.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #107
Level 3 - Talker

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I met him in 2000 in Austin (kinda contradicting myself because he DID meet us and sign stuff) but he is just not very nice. No, I wasn't expecting him to perform a juggling act but at least feign some sincerity for his fans and the 10 people or so who waited for him to come out. I think he tries too hard on his persona. These guys aren't stupid though. They know giving less of themselves only makes people want more. Economics 101.
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
04-28-2006, 08:11 AM

I love people who dont read the whole thread before posting.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #108
Banned.

OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-28-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuspurs
I think he was especially miserable on this tour because it was his last with Faith No More.

Limp Bizkit opened up and got booed off the stage - people throwing shit etc... until they actually had to leave the stage. Durst kind of started the thing by calling people ***got etc.... We've all seen openers get booed but I've never seen a group get booed off like this.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #109
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuspurs
I think he was especially miserable on this tour because it was his last with Faith No More.

Limp Bizkit opened up and got booed off the stage - people throwing shit etc... until they actually had to leave the stage. Durst kind of started the thing by calling people ***got etc.... We've all seen openers get booed but I've never seen a group get booed off like this.
OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Who are you referring to?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #110
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
04-28-2006, 08:15 AM

I've had the pleasure of meeting Maynard twice, and I can say that both times he was friendly, warm and funny.
The end.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #111
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I've had the pleasure of meeting Maynard twice, and I can say that both times he was friendly, warm and funny.
The end.
OFFLINE |  
Leroy Brown's Avatar Leroy Brown
04-28-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:

You know so little. You have passed judgement without any 1st hand facts. You should look at what this means about yourself.

P.S. I would be more concerned about how you are in life then others. You bascially read an interview and based on that and your own speculation, just wrote someone off. How can you justify that behavior? You can't.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #112
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

You know so little. You have passed judgement without any 1st hand facts. You should look at what this means about yourself.

P.S. I would be more concerned about how you are in life then others. You bascially read an interview and based on that and your own speculation, just wrote someone off. How can you justify that behavior? You can't.
OFFLINE |  
soberfish
04-28-2006, 08:20 AM

As much as I like him as a singer, he is a big ass.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #113
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

As much as I like him as a singer, he is a big ass.
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
04-28-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
manuspurs. Everything he talked about is explained in this thread.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #114
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
manuspurs. Everything he talked about is explained in this thread.
OFFLINE |  
jercyn's Avatar jercyn
04-28-2006, 08:26 AM

It isn't about Maynard, it's about MUSIC
Old 04-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #115
Level 2 - Poster

It isn't about Maynard, it's about MUSIC
OFFLINE |  
Mortal Moxie's Avatar Mortal Moxie
04-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Why does it matter? If its the music you love then why do you care so much about meeting the person on the street.

THey make music. They're not hollywood actors who need to be in the public eye and making appearances all the time.

If his personality has always been to make a snide comment or blow by you, why does him being a musician change that?

He's not obligated to be nice and chat with someone at any time.

I'd be the same way.

Who cares. People over analyze Tool to be secretive gods who know mystical things, and then everyone wants to meet the "band behind the mystery". It's not even like that.

Who cares, let them be. Fans are such touchy douche bags. Listen to the music, let it move you and shut the fuck up. Thats all they ask.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #116
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Why does it matter? If its the music you love then why do you care so much about meeting the person on the street.

THey make music. They're not hollywood actors who need to be in the public eye and making appearances all the time.

If his personality has always been to make a snide comment or blow by you, why does him being a musician change that?

He's not obligated to be nice and chat with someone at any time.

I'd be the same way.

Who cares. People over analyze Tool to be secretive gods who know mystical things, and then everyone wants to meet the "band behind the mystery". It's not even like that.

Who cares, let them be. Fans are such touchy douche bags. Listen to the music, let it move you and shut the fuck up. Thats all they ask.
04-28-2006, 08:32 AM

One of my friends used to cater for APC. He said Maynard yelled at him cause he didn't pick his plate up fast enough. Sounds like a grade-A cockbasket to me.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #117
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

One of my friends used to cater for APC. He said Maynard yelled at him cause he didn't pick his plate up fast enough. Sounds like a grade-A cockbasket to me.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-28-2006, 08:33 AM

Final thought here:
Don't approach somebody if you think its a situation they might not like to be approaced in. (w/ child, in crowd being mobbed).
Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #118
Level 7 - Loquacious

Final thought here:
Don't approach somebody if you think its a situation they might not like to be approaced in. (w/ child, in crowd being mobbed).
OFFLINE |  
Leroy Brown's Avatar Leroy Brown
04-28-2006, 08:33 AM

There's not a single one of you that get it is there? Fame is bullshit. He doesn't like it.
Label him as an asshole, I just hope at some point you could put yourself in his shoes and understand rather than just being cunts about it. I'd rather be an asshole than a hooker with a penis.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #119
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

There's not a single one of you that get it is there? Fame is bullshit. He doesn't like it.
Label him as an asshole, I just hope at some point you could put yourself in his shoes and understand rather than just being cunts about it. I'd rather be an asshole than a hooker with a penis.
OFFLINE |  
Mortal Moxie's Avatar Mortal Moxie
04-28-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix3l
You're missing the point.

Maynard will be a dick so that people don't bother him. Avoid him.

That or your friend is mentally retarted and shouldnt be catering.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #120
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix3l
You're missing the point.

Maynard will be a dick so that people don't bother him. Avoid him.

That or your friend is mentally retarted and shouldnt be catering.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply