Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
vedrimir
04-28-2006, 04:22 PM

"Once he gets off stage, he needs to let it out and breath it back in."

Im sorry if i got you wrong but in any case he shouldnt use young and beautiful girls as fuckable objects who serve his ego. I really dont think Maynarnd has backstage sex with groupies or whatever.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #201
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: Maynard = asshole?

Im sorry if i got you wrong but in any case he shouldnt use young and beautiful girls as fuckable objects who serve his ego. I really dont think Maynarnd has backstage sex with groupies or whatever.
OFFLINE |  
bunny_309
04-28-2006, 04:23 PM

You make some excellent points basically relating to the rock star/ idol phenomenon. My experience was a long time ago and I certainly learned a great deal from the experience. My friends and I were very naive about why we were even given entrance to the show in the first place. I think part of it was that the person that I spent time with that night was very different from the person the public is exposed to. so though we expected him to be a bit withdrawn, we were treated to a person that was absolutely disgusting. I'd hoped that maybe my post be something others could learn from, especially with all the maynard worshipping that goes on here.

Again, I will not give any details of what happened in a public forum, but I will say that what happened cannot be explained away by saying that we were dumb kids that should have known what to expect.

A question about your example about the asian girls, the 'other similar accounts about maynard', and your expectation of what happened in the situation I was involved in... Do you excuse maynard for being a womanizer on tour?
If we can agree that maynard is a womanizer (at best), it would appear that he is picking and choosing when he wants to be a rock star. Sure when it interferes with his private life, then it could be a problem and boo hoo for him... it sure must be horrible....but when he wants to stick it in someone, then it's totally cool to slap on that rockstar badge and use it to exploit others.
-b-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopod
This situation is different, because you and your attractive friend accepted an invitation to go worship a rock star. What happened, did he hit on her? Invite her to have sex? Try to sleaze her into some back room? Well, what did you expect?

When you go to a show, and someone in your party is a beautiful woman, and you happen to get invited backstage, sex is almost ALWAYS the reason. If no one in your group knows the band, there is no other reason why you would be invited to meet with them. You either accept the invitation and go, or you kindly refuse. If, on the other hand, you paid for a VIP pass so that you could go play sheep to the reverend, then you're just asking for this type of situation, imo.

If you are truly there for the art, then why would you need to meet the performers? If you really need to meet an artist, then you're interested in getting more than an artistic experience, and anytime that happens, I'm not surprised at all when it turns out to be disappointing. I've read similar accounts of Keenan trying to get two teenage asian girls to go back to his Winnebago with him after an APC show, and all I can think is that if you are a beautiful girl and you get a VIP pass, then you're either trying to bang someone or you're as intelligent as a couch. Don't tell me that all you really want to do is shake hands and get an autograph from someone like Maynard. He's not going to hand out the Jesus treatment, and why? Because he's a musician trying to get laid on the road like about 100,000 others like him. In my experience, people usually get what they're asking for in those situations.

Is Keenan an asshole? Ask someone who really knows him. Ask Jones or Carrey. Is his art debatable in light of his actions outside of performing that art? No. And when you pay for a CD, you're not paying for Maynard James Keenan the person, you're paying for a vision he created. You're not paying for the right to meet him, or talk to him, or be a part of his life outside of the audience he performs in front of. If that's what you think you're paying for, then you need to grow up. And if you still feel some kind of gratification from meeting famous people, then you should take the time to consider the fact that your gratification comes at the price of those people being completely fake and insincere with you. When musicians are nice and cordial backstage to their fans, they are just making the best of an incredibly awkward situation. They're not being real. You can't be real to someone who meets you once and showers you with praise. To me, this type of fakeness is exactly what Keenan is refusing when he's a prick to someone he doesn't know. He's refusing to be fake with you by giving you his honest feelings on the matter: He hates it.

Last edited by bunny_309; 04-28-2006 at 04:28 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #202
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

You make some excellent points basically relating to the rock star/ idol phenomenon. My experience was a long time ago and I certainly learned a great deal from the experience. My friends and I were very naive about why we were even given entrance to the show in the first place. I think part of it was that the person that I spent time with that night was very different from the person the public is exposed to. so though we expected him to be a bit withdrawn, we were treated to a person that was absolutely disgusting. I'd hoped that maybe my post be something others could learn from, especially with all the maynard worshipping that goes on here.

Again, I will not give any details of what happened in a public forum, but I will say that what happened cannot be explained away by saying that we were dumb kids that should have known what to expect.

A question about your example about the asian girls, the 'other similar accounts about maynard', and your expectation of what happened in the situation I was involved in... Do you excuse maynard for being a womanizer on tour?
If we can agree that maynard is a womanizer (at best), it would appear that he is picking and choosing when he wants to be a rock star. Sure when it interferes with his private life, then it could be a problem and boo hoo for him... it sure must be horrible....but when he wants to stick it in someone, then it's totally cool to slap on that rockstar badge and use it to exploit others.
-b-

Quote:
This situation is different, because you and your attractive friend accepted an invitation to go worship a rock star. What happened, did he hit on her? Invite her to have sex? Try to sleaze her into some back room? Well, what did you expect?

When you go to a show, and someone in your party is a beautiful woman, and you happen to get invited backstage, sex is almost ALWAYS the reason. If no one in your group knows the band, there is no other reason why you would be invited to meet with them. You either accept the invitation and go, or you kindly refuse. If, on the other hand, you paid for a VIP pass so that you could go play sheep to the reverend, then you're just asking for this type of situation, imo.

If you are truly there for the art, then why would you need to meet the performers? If you really need to meet an artist, then you're interested in getting more than an artistic experience, and anytime that happens, I'm not surprised at all when it turns out to be disappointing. I've read similar accounts of Keenan trying to get two teenage asian girls to go back to his Winnebago with him after an APC show, and all I can think is that if you are a beautiful girl and you get a VIP pass, then you're either trying to bang someone or you're as intelligent as a couch. Don't tell me that all you really want to do is shake hands and get an autograph from someone like Maynard. He's not going to hand out the Jesus treatment, and why? Because he's a musician trying to get laid on the road like about 100,000 others like him. In my experience, people usually get what they're asking for in those situations.

Is Keenan an asshole? Ask someone who really knows him. Ask Jones or Carrey. Is his art debatable in light of his actions outside of performing that art? No. And when you pay for a CD, you're not paying for Maynard James Keenan the person, you're paying for a vision he created. You're not paying for the right to meet him, or talk to him, or be a part of his life outside of the audience he performs in front of. If that's what you think you're paying for, then you need to grow up. And if you still feel some kind of gratification from meeting famous people, then you should take the time to consider the fact that your gratification comes at the price of those people being completely fake and insincere with you. When musicians are nice and cordial backstage to their fans, they are just making the best of an incredibly awkward situation. They're not being real. You can't be real to someone who meets you once and showers you with praise. To me, this type of fakeness is exactly what Keenan is refusing when he's a prick to someone he doesn't know. He's refusing to be fake with you by giving you his honest feelings on the matter: He hates it.

Last edited by bunny_309; 04-28-2006 at 04:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  
tainednarf1014
04-28-2006, 04:44 PM

Apparently most of the people complaining in this thread are all lacking one thing. A mirror. Look at these posts. If MJK is an asshole maybe it's because of the massive amounts of "Asshole" Tool fans. Lets be honest. I'd say maybe 80% of fellow Tool fans i've met have been complete fucking pricks. Most of them have been absolutely dead set in there Tool theories and bring that OGT vibe when you try to talk about your own. Maybe we should all look at ourselves before chastising somebody else.

Who cares if he's an asshole. He's famous and constantly hassled with the pressure of celeberity. I don't listen to him expecting him to be nice to me if I meet him at the bar. I listen to him for the music and could give a fuck less how he acted if I saw him. I would show him the respect of leaving him alone after umpteen interviews and kids trying to glad-hand him.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #203
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Apparently most of the people complaining in this thread are all lacking one thing. A mirror. Look at these posts. If MJK is an asshole maybe it's because of the massive amounts of "Asshole" Tool fans. Lets be honest. I'd say maybe 80% of fellow Tool fans i've met have been complete fucking pricks. Most of them have been absolutely dead set in there Tool theories and bring that OGT vibe when you try to talk about your own. Maybe we should all look at ourselves before chastising somebody else.

Who cares if he's an asshole. He's famous and constantly hassled with the pressure of celeberity. I don't listen to him expecting him to be nice to me if I meet him at the bar. I listen to him for the music and could give a fuck less how he acted if I saw him. I would show him the respect of leaving him alone after umpteen interviews and kids trying to glad-hand him.
OFFLINE |  
CallofCthulhu's Avatar CallofCthulhu
04-28-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainednarf1014

*claps*
Old 04-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #204
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainednarf1014

*claps*
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-28-2006, 05:00 PM

obviously a can of worms has been opened for 6 pages in about a day.
I see people swinging between two extremes of judgement.
My main point is that there is a HUGE DICHOTOMY between
the lyrics people love
and
the person maynard IS.
Maybe if people here had a better understanding of the occultism maynard is into they would understand what kind of person he is.
He is obviously AT LEAST a adeptus minor 5=6 degree as he flashes the sign of Isis (L for Lux or light) in Sleeping dogs lie, which Blair mentions casually in one newsletter.
Adeptis Minors promise not to use this sign unless in the adytum when shaking hands.
This means he has attained unto what is called Knowledge and Coversation with his Holy Guardian Angel (K&C w HGA) [http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.ph...uardian_Angel]
After reaching this attainment one must cross the abyss. If one does not successfully cross the abyss when aspiring to becoming Magister Templi, one becomes what is known as a BLACK BROTHER. Blair has made enough references that fly below the radar to insinuate his attainment to 8=3 or doubtedly 9=2.
You want to know why Maynard is such a fucking ass? Because his ethics are determined by chapter III of Liber AL vel Legis...
Also, they read Kenneth Grant as blair mentions them selling copies of Grants work. Suffice to say, Grant is considered by many to be a complete black brother and his involvement with the qlippoth or dark side of the tree of life is well documented.

Face it. The guy is standoffish because he fears being known..and wishes to cultivate a mystique to get what he wants..

Last edited by panchochichi; 04-28-2006 at 05:08 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #205
On Probation

Bincount™: 3

the lyrics people love
and
the person maynard IS.
Maybe if people here had a better understanding of the occultism maynard is into they would understand what kind of person he is.
He is obviously AT LEAST a adeptus minor 5=6 degree as he flashes the sign of Isis (L for Lux or light) in Sleeping dogs lie, which Blair mentions casually in one newsletter.
Adeptis Minors promise not to use this sign unless in the adytum when shaking hands.
This means he has attained unto what is called Knowledge and Coversation with his Holy Guardian Angel (K&C w HGA) [http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.ph...uardian_Angel]
After reaching this attainment one must cross the abyss. If one does not successfully cross the abyss when aspiring to becoming Magister Templi, one becomes what is known as a BLACK BROTHER. Blair has made enough references that fly below the radar to insinuate his attainment to 8=3 or doubtedly 9=2.
You want to know why Maynard is such a fucking ass? Because his ethics are determined by chapter III of Liber AL vel Legis...
Also, they read Kenneth Grant as blair mentions them selling copies of Grants work. Suffice to say, Grant is considered by many to be a complete black brother and his involvement with the qlippoth or dark side of the tree of life is well documented.

Face it. The guy is standoffish because he fears being known..and wishes to cultivate a mystique to get what he wants..

Last edited by panchochichi; 04-28-2006 at 05:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
bunny_309
04-28-2006, 05:05 PM

whoa... what ever happened to saying a guy is an asshole cause he's an asshole. ..
just a tiny jump you made there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchochichi
the lyrics people love
and
the person maynard IS.

Last edited by bunny_309; 04-28-2006 at 05:07 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #206
Level 2 - Poster

whoa... what ever happened to saying a guy is an asshole cause he's an asshole. ..
just a tiny jump you made there.

Quote:
the lyrics people love
and
the person maynard IS.

Last edited by bunny_309; 04-28-2006 at 05:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
04-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSmith v2.0
Shake your fist at the gates saying:
--- he got fisted -- stinkfist makes more sense now

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.
- fetch .. dogs... beastiality.. maynards mom made him suck off goats

The son, and the father. --
both of them got to enjoy his mom

Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
pillar = maynards DICK which was in his moms ass

It's time now, my time now.
to get naked and party

Give me my, give me my, wings.
drinks rebull so he can fuck his crip mom in the anallove
Don't mess with Texas!
Old 04-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #207
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.

to get naked and party

Don't mess with Texas!
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 05:10 PM

Dude, even though panchochichi's comments about MJK are right on, WHO GIVES A FUCK? I would care if I'd be posting that shit about a close friend of mine, but MJK? I mean, really!

Dude, I can't believe this thread is so long...

So, I heard Adam is really just this proud, arrogant, artsy fuck. I HATE HIS GUTS!

There, now I feel better.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #208
Banned.

Dude, even though panchochichi's comments about MJK are right on, WHO GIVES A FUCK? I would care if I'd be posting that shit about a close friend of mine, but MJK? I mean, really!

Dude, I can't believe this thread is so long...

So, I heard Adam is really just this proud, arrogant, artsy fuck. I HATE HIS GUTS!

There, now I feel better.
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-28-2006, 05:14 PM

maybe i care and am bringing to light certain things because
he has completely desecrated the grade of his degree..
Old 04-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #209
On Probation

maybe i care and am bringing to light certain things because
he has completely desecrated the grade of his degree..
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 05:19 PM

the grade of his degree? please elaborate...
Old 04-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #210
Banned.

the grade of his degree? please elaborate...
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-28-2006, 05:23 PM

i've said enough.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #211
On Probation

i've said enough.
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 05:27 PM

high school degree? btw, did maynard go to college or sumpin? What did he minor/major in, if any?

Now that we're talking about degrees and shit... hope he didn't desecrate it.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #212
Banned.

high school degree? btw, did maynard go to college or sumpin? What did he minor/major in, if any?

Now that we're talking about degrees and shit... hope he didn't desecrate it.
OFFLINE |  
maynerd
04-28-2006, 06:11 PM

Clearly you are not OGT or you would already know this.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #213
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd
Duh, obviously! I'm soo not OGT... what a loser am I.

NOW DOES SOMEONE WANT TO EXPLAIN THIS SHIT TO ME OR NOT?!

thanks...

dude, Jambi rules.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #214
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd

thanks...

dude, Jambi rules.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
04-28-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedrimir

Im sorry if i got you wrong but in any case he shouldnt use young and beautiful girls as fuckable objects who serve his ego.
And why not? Maynard, if anybody, is Randy Pan the Goat Boy.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #215
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedrimir

Im sorry if i got you wrong but in any case he shouldnt use young and beautiful girls as fuckable objects who serve his ego.
And why not? Maynard, if anybody, is Randy Pan the Goat Boy.
04-28-2006, 06:38 PM

I met MJK in a quaint Jerome copper mine and he juggled 3 stray dogs and 2 cats. After his self-injected tetnus shot, I asked him to recite poetry from Robert Frost with Disgustipated beaming from my age-old cassette deck. Then, if that wasn't enough, MJK pleaded with me to sign my own penis (which I insisted the self-made arm tatoo was fine), as well as my hot-ass wife's fingernails in braille. I thanked him and he insisted to give me gas money to go back down that treacherous mountain back to Sedona. Whatta Guy!!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #216
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

I met MJK in a quaint Jerome copper mine and he juggled 3 stray dogs and 2 cats. After his self-injected tetnus shot, I asked him to recite poetry from Robert Frost with Disgustipated beaming from my age-old cassette deck. Then, if that wasn't enough, MJK pleaded with me to sign my own penis (which I insisted the self-made arm tatoo was fine), as well as my hot-ass wife's fingernails in braille. I thanked him and he insisted to give me gas money to go back down that treacherous mountain back to Sedona. Whatta Guy!!
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
lol!

rofl!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #217
Banned.

Quote:
lol!

rofl!
OFFLINE |  
bunny_309
04-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota

thanks...

dude, Jambi rules.
OGT is from a line in hooker with a penis... it's supposed to mean "original gangsta tool" (as in an old school tool fan)...
I wish I did not know what that meant.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #218
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota

thanks...

dude, Jambi rules.
OGT is from a line in hooker with a penis... it's supposed to mean "original gangsta tool" (as in an old school tool fan)...
I wish I did not know what that meant.
OFFLINE |  
zezboda
04-28-2006, 07:35 PM

from looking at the background i get the idea that they were "caught" in their hotel for a bit of an impromptu interview here. if that's the case i completely understand any adverse reactions to the situation. i just look at the interview and picture m and d going to get coffee and being ambushed by dorky interview guy from the beloved network.

we are all talking about the guy/band that's said and shown for years that they want the focus on the music, not the people and personalities, right. just had to check.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #219
Level 1 - Lurker

from looking at the background i get the idea that they were "caught" in their hotel for a bit of an impromptu interview here. if that's the case i completely understand any adverse reactions to the situation. i just look at the interview and picture m and d going to get coffee and being ambushed by dorky interview guy from the beloved network.

we are all talking about the guy/band that's said and shown for years that they want the focus on the music, not the people and personalities, right. just had to check.
OFFLINE |  
Teratoma's Avatar Teratoma
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM

I've met Maynard and just had maybe 5 mins talking about the usual (stuff that reporters don't drive into the ground over and over) and just to see how he's doing, etc...

the guy is 110% asshole. he doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself. he acted like that to everyone there.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #220
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

I've met Maynard and just had maybe 5 mins talking about the usual (stuff that reporters don't drive into the ground over and over) and just to see how he's doing, etc...

the guy is 110% asshole. he doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself. he acted like that to everyone there.
OFFLINE |  
zezboda
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratoma

it's entirely possible that with only 5 minutes of exposure to her, mother theresa would seem like a self-consumed asshole. anyone could. you must admit...
Old 04-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #221
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

it's entirely possible that with only 5 minutes of exposure to her, mother theresa would seem like a self-consumed asshole. anyone could. you must admit...
OFFLINE |  
2and46's Avatar 2and46
04-28-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Sucks for you cause he asked if he could pay for my daughters college education.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #222
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:

Sucks for you cause he asked if he could pay for my daughters college education.
OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-28-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75
Not to get off subject, but people are all over Bonds because he cheated. He took steroids and made it into the record books because of it. If people are jumping him about his personality it's becasue he lacks moral character.
Prior to him using the 'roids he had 493 homers and 490 steals. The only player to do that. I could care less about him using 'roids.

But yeah people hate on him more because of his personality.

So I can see the comparisons to people hating on Maynardo's personality as well. Both of their problems are that they know they're good at what they do.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #223
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75
Not to get off subject, but people are all over Bonds because he cheated. He took steroids and made it into the record books because of it. If people are jumping him about his personality it's becasue he lacks moral character.
Prior to him using the 'roids he had 493 homers and 490 steals. The only player to do that. I could care less about him using 'roids.

But yeah people hate on him more because of his personality.

So I can see the comparisons to people hating on Maynardo's personality as well. Both of their problems are that they know they're good at what they do.
OFFLINE |  
jtb
04-28-2006, 10:48 PM

"How do you keep in touch with your fans? You seem a bit elusive and tend to avoid mingling with them."

"We really don't like it. It's not arrogance at all. We just consider it slightly unnatural. It's not that we're looking down on our fans and that's why we don't want any contact. It's just if we would mix with our fans, they'd most likely feel that they have to tell us how much they like our music and that can easily get to your head. Look at a couple of bands out there, with a lot of them, I always get the feeling their success has gone to their heads. If you start taking yourself too seriously it's not good for the creative process. I always believed that music should speak for itself, that people shouldn't see us as heroes, that our fans shouldn't concentrate on us, that they shouldn't try to feed our egos. Once your ego gets in the way, it is much more difficult to feel music."

"You're known for disliking interviews. Why?"

"Sometimes interviewees are almost insulting, especially when it comes down to video or TV interviews. Pretty often they've got such an ego that we sometimes wonder how we fit on the same screen. They're clowns, goofballs and they think they're so funny – full of energy and personality. Do you know what I mean? They're just full of themselves and they don't have a clue and they're not interested in anything else but themselves. They don't even listen. They got a bunch of questions and you don't even get the chance to have something that remotely resembles a conversation. I really can't respect them and if they'd take a minute and realize what they're doing and how ridiculous they are, they wouldn't be able to respect themselves."

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2002/tool_int.asp
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #224
jtb
Level 4 - Thinker

"How do you keep in touch with your fans? You seem a bit elusive and tend to avoid mingling with them."

"We really don't like it. It's not arrogance at all. We just consider it slightly unnatural. It's not that we're looking down on our fans and that's why we don't want any contact. It's just if we would mix with our fans, they'd most likely feel that they have to tell us how much they like our music and that can easily get to your head. Look at a couple of bands out there, with a lot of them, I always get the feeling their success has gone to their heads. If you start taking yourself too seriously it's not good for the creative process. I always believed that music should speak for itself, that people shouldn't see us as heroes, that our fans shouldn't concentrate on us, that they shouldn't try to feed our egos. Once your ego gets in the way, it is much more difficult to feel music."

"You're known for disliking interviews. Why?"

"Sometimes interviewees are almost insulting, especially when it comes down to video or TV interviews. Pretty often they've got such an ego that we sometimes wonder how we fit on the same screen. They're clowns, goofballs and they think they're so funny – full of energy and personality. Do you know what I mean? They're just full of themselves and they don't have a clue and they're not interested in anything else but themselves. They don't even listen. They got a bunch of questions and you don't even get the chance to have something that remotely resembles a conversation. I really can't respect them and if they'd take a minute and realize what they're doing and how ridiculous they are, they wouldn't be able to respect themselves."

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2002/tool_int.asp
OFFLINE |  
NateDaTater
04-29-2006, 12:05 AM

Maynard has a flaw. It is, ironically enough, that he is not patient. It is clear that his fame has gone to his head. He carries himself in a very conceited manner. However, this is most likely because he has to deal with stupid and annoying people that stand for things he is against. For example, the moron doing the MTV interview. Yeah, he didn't have to be such a dick, but MJK lost patience with people like that a long time ago... and MTV is not at all something he supports.

Now... as far as keeping the music separate from the musician, or the person. I think MJK's outlook on that is very flawed. We can only lead by example, and this is most effectively done in person, and Maynard does not reflect his own ideals in the way he carries himself. He is a hypocrite. Even the idea of keeping the music separate from the people is silly in light of the fact that Danny Carey has his own website, and Adam Jones his own MySpace... to promote themselves in conjunction with the music!

If you want a current lead singer that practices what he preaches, look at Eddie Vedder. That guy doesn't do interviews very often, but when he does, he is obviously reserved, but he isn't an asshole. He is as forthcoming as he can be. He is amusing in his own shy way, and very humble. And he does charities! Even if Tool's music pwns PJ's more recent stuff, I respect PJ as a band infinitely more.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #225
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Maynard has a flaw. It is, ironically enough, that he is not patient. It is clear that his fame has gone to his head. He carries himself in a very conceited manner. However, this is most likely because he has to deal with stupid and annoying people that stand for things he is against. For example, the moron doing the MTV interview. Yeah, he didn't have to be such a dick, but MJK lost patience with people like that a long time ago... and MTV is not at all something he supports.

Now... as far as keeping the music separate from the musician, or the person. I think MJK's outlook on that is very flawed. We can only lead by example, and this is most effectively done in person, and Maynard does not reflect his own ideals in the way he carries himself. He is a hypocrite. Even the idea of keeping the music separate from the people is silly in light of the fact that Danny Carey has his own website, and Adam Jones his own MySpace... to promote themselves in conjunction with the music!

If you want a current lead singer that practices what he preaches, look at Eddie Vedder. That guy doesn't do interviews very often, but when he does, he is obviously reserved, but he isn't an asshole. He is as forthcoming as he can be. He is amusing in his own shy way, and very humble. And he does charities! Even if Tool's music pwns PJ's more recent stuff, I respect PJ as a band infinitely more.
OFFLINE |  
KlepTIK
04-29-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
dude came up and said - can I have your autograph... Patton just held up his hoagie and said "what does this look like".
Awesome
Old 04-29-2006, 12:30 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshirt
dude came up and said - can I have your autograph... Patton just held up his hoagie and said "what does this look like".
Awesome
OFFLINE |  
KlepTIK
04-29-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.
When you buy a Tool record , you're getting 80 minutes of great music . Music that the band busted their asses for a year to create , and music that artistically goes above and beyond what most of their "peers" are dishing out . If you're like me , their music will stick with you through out your life and the lyrics will make you see the world differently and give a lot to think about . Maynard , at best , gets about a $1 for every album sold . Who is the one getting pissed on ?
Old 04-29-2006, 01:04 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.
When you buy a Tool record , you're getting 80 minutes of great music . Music that the band busted their asses for a year to create , and music that artistically goes above and beyond what most of their "peers" are dishing out . If you're like me , their music will stick with you through out your life and the lyrics will make you see the world differently and give a lot to think about . Maynard , at best , gets about a $1 for every album sold . Who is the one getting pissed on ?
OFFLINE |  
Octopod's Avatar Octopod
04-29-2006, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny_309
but I will say that what happened cannot be explained away by saying that we were dumb kids that should have known what to expect.
Was there a woman involved, or wasn't there? It's really that simple.

This is not Death Cab for Cutie we're talking about, where the cool kids get invited backstage to compare Chucks and Pumas. This is the band that wrote the song Stinkfist and released it as a single. The same song you're never going to hear a "musak-version" of in the grociery store when you're checking out smoked oysters. If you are with a beautiful woman, and you get invited backstage to meet the band that wrote Stinkfist, and you have no idea what to expect, then yeah that's quite naive.

Quote:
Do you excuse maynard for being a womanizer on tour?
Let me ask you this: Do you excuse Robert Plant of Led Zepplin for the womanizing that he partook of when Zep toured the earth? Do you ever even think about all the women he debauched when you examine any of their albums? When their songs come on the radio, Kashmir or Stairway for instance, do you think to yourself, "Man, Plant sure went for Wilt Chamberlain's record for one-night stands back during the Houses for the Holy tour." I can almost guarantee you the answer is "no".

So what does this example suggest about the standards for musician behavior you are holding Keenan up to? To me, it certainly seems like you were disappointed and disgusted, and you took it personally. But at the same time, you still chose to go backstage to let a little bit of that greatness rub off on you, didn't you? There's no other reason to meet a musician after a show other than to get a "little bit more" than the average fan. The choice is driven by fanatacism and ego. So when your hero turns out to be disgusting and perverse, I'm not really that sympathetic, to be honest.

Do I endorse Keenan the womanizer? No, but it's none of my business. Do I excuse him for his actions? No, but my experience of his art is independent of that decision. Do I allow women I love and respect to be placed in the paths of known womanizers? No, because I know better.

I actually do know a former stripper from LA who had a bad experience with Keenan, and it did give me pause the first time she told me about it. But you know what? She was asking for trouble when she decided to wrap herself around a pole in front of people , and then give out her phone number. I can't judge artists for their habits, because when it comes down to it, their personal business = just that. Do they take advantage of naive people? Yes, but the world ain't perfect, and they've got their own path to follow. My friend was looking for trouble, and she found it. It's not like he's banging two-year-olds and I'm funding his porn ring. If I have to make a character judgement every time I pick up a CD, then I'll be listening to Enya, Yanni, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and little else.

The majority of the great male artists, musicians, writers, and atheletes of the last century were mostly womanizers. What does that mean? Boycott? No. Art is exempt from the actions of the author. Once it is released, that version of the author is "dead", anyway.

Quote:
but when he wants to stick it in someone, then it's totally cool to slap on that rockstar badge and use it to exploit others.
The exploitation in that situation is mutual. Don't pretend otherwise. If you want to appreciate art, go to a show. If you want to schmooze it up with famous people, then you're not really as interested in art as you are in stroking your own ego, in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #228

Quote:
but I will say that what happened cannot be explained away by saying that we were dumb kids that should have known what to expect.

This is not Death Cab for Cutie we're talking about, where the cool kids get invited backstage to compare Chucks and Pumas. This is the band that wrote the song Stinkfist and released it as a single. The same song you're never going to hear a "musak-version" of in the grociery store when you're checking out smoked oysters. If you are with a beautiful woman, and you get invited backstage to meet the band that wrote Stinkfist, and you have no idea what to expect, then yeah that's quite naive.

Quote:
Do you excuse maynard for being a womanizer on tour?
Let me ask you this: Do you excuse Robert Plant of Led Zepplin for the womanizing that he partook of when Zep toured the earth? Do you ever even think about all the women he debauched when you examine any of their albums? When their songs come on the radio, Kashmir or Stairway for instance, do you think to yourself, "Man, Plant sure went for Wilt Chamberlain's record for one-night stands back during the Houses for the Holy tour." I can almost guarantee you the answer is "no".

So what does this example suggest about the standards for musician behavior you are holding Keenan up to? To me, it certainly seems like you were disappointed and disgusted, and you took it personally. But at the same time, you still chose to go backstage to let a little bit of that greatness rub off on you, didn't you? There's no other reason to meet a musician after a show other than to get a "little bit more" than the average fan. The choice is driven by fanatacism and ego. So when your hero turns out to be disgusting and perverse, I'm not really that sympathetic, to be honest.

Do I endorse Keenan the womanizer? No, but it's none of my business. Do I excuse him for his actions? No, but my experience of his art is independent of that decision. Do I allow women I love and respect to be placed in the paths of known womanizers? No, because I know better.

I actually do know a former stripper from LA who had a bad experience with Keenan, and it did give me pause the first time she told me about it. But you know what? She was asking for trouble when she decided to wrap herself around a pole in front of people , and then give out her phone number. I can't judge artists for their habits, because when it comes down to it, their personal business = just that. Do they take advantage of naive people? Yes, but the world ain't perfect, and they've got their own path to follow. My friend was looking for trouble, and she found it. It's not like he's banging two-year-olds and I'm funding his porn ring. If I have to make a character judgement every time I pick up a CD, then I'll be listening to Enya, Yanni, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and little else.

The majority of the great male artists, musicians, writers, and atheletes of the last century were mostly womanizers. What does that mean? Boycott? No. Art is exempt from the actions of the author. Once it is released, that version of the author is "dead", anyway.

Quote:
but when he wants to stick it in someone, then it's totally cool to slap on that rockstar badge and use it to exploit others.
The exploitation in that situation is mutual. Don't pretend otherwise. If you want to appreciate art, go to a show. If you want to schmooze it up with famous people, then you're not really as interested in art as you are in stroking your own ego, in my opinion.
04-29-2006, 03:34 AM

"I actually do know a former stripper from LA who had a bad experience with Keenan, and it did give me pause the first time she told me about it. But you know what? She was asking for trouble when she decided to wrap herself around a pole in front of people , and then give out her phone number."

Elaborate.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:34 AM   #229
Level 3 - Talker

"I actually do know a former stripper from LA who had a bad experience with Keenan, and it did give me pause the first time she told me about it. But you know what? She was asking for trouble when she decided to wrap herself around a pole in front of people , and then give out her phone number."

Elaborate.
OFFLINE |  
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
04-29-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
prob by his mom, thats prob why he has a stick up his ass and writes shitty 'I miss you mom' lyrics
LMAO.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:33 AM   #230
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Quote:
prob by his mom, thats prob why he has a stick up his ass and writes shitty 'I miss you mom' lyrics
LMAO.
OFFLINE |  
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
04-29-2006, 04:35 AM

Quote:

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.

to get naked and party

*tips hat*

You are fucking hilarious.

Crip mom, lol
Old 04-29-2006, 04:35 AM   #231
Virgin colada, no rum

Quote:

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.

to get naked and party

*tips hat*

You are fucking hilarious.

Crip mom, lol
OFFLINE |  
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
04-29-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
the lyrics people love
and
the person maynard IS.

Best post ever.

Ever.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:03 AM   #232
Virgin colada, no rum

Quote:
the lyrics people love
and
the person maynard IS.

Best post ever.

Ever.
OFFLINE |  
sprlswnger
04-29-2006, 05:20 AM

7 Pages of commentary about why Mr. Keenan is a dick....this may be part of why he's a dick sometimes....and here I am adding to it.

Try and put yourself in his frame of reference. Ticket scalpers are fucking his fans, his fans take him too seriously. His fans steal his music. Im not innocent.

You have to wonder why he does what he does. Id like to think Its something larger driving him. They admit they are not rich by any means (rich is subjective i know), so I would like to think money isnt the driving force behind the message.

I cant imagine what it would be like to have all this stuff to say, have the talent to say it artistically, have the balls to do it in front of people, and then have people pick it apart. Hell Im bitter for much less!!

I dont know, I just wish that I had the talent, and then have the influence on people like Mr. Keenan does to drive them to write thousands of words down as to why Im not a good interviewer. Then again, Im glad I dont.

Just take a minute to think about what it would take to do what a person like him does. And then have everything you do under a microscope and have it commented on. I wouldnt want it. Id rather sit at home, or in my truck and listen and think about things and try and make my life better, which TOOLs music helps me do.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:20 AM   #233
Level 1 - Lurker

7 Pages of commentary about why Mr. Keenan is a dick....this may be part of why he's a dick sometimes....and here I am adding to it.

Try and put yourself in his frame of reference. Ticket scalpers are fucking his fans, his fans take him too seriously. His fans steal his music. Im not innocent.

You have to wonder why he does what he does. Id like to think Its something larger driving him. They admit they are not rich by any means (rich is subjective i know), so I would like to think money isnt the driving force behind the message.

I cant imagine what it would be like to have all this stuff to say, have the talent to say it artistically, have the balls to do it in front of people, and then have people pick it apart. Hell Im bitter for much less!!

I dont know, I just wish that I had the talent, and then have the influence on people like Mr. Keenan does to drive them to write thousands of words down as to why Im not a good interviewer. Then again, Im glad I dont.

Just take a minute to think about what it would take to do what a person like him does. And then have everything you do under a microscope and have it commented on. I wouldnt want it. Id rather sit at home, or in my truck and listen and think about things and try and make my life better, which TOOLs music helps me do.
OFFLINE |  
bunny_309
04-29-2006, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Was this in any way similar to the arrangement Ted Nugent made to bring an underage girl on tour with him in the 70's?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #234
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Was this in any way similar to the arrangement Ted Nugent made to bring an underage girl on tour with him in the 70's?
OFFLINE |  
THEFEZ
04-29-2006, 05:51 AM

Instead of everybody digging for the answer to Maynard, why don't you just listen to the music and draw your own idea or conclusion of what he is like. If you ever meet him you will have your own experience and then know. He may be cool to you as he may be a asshole to someone else. You will most likely never be his friend so who cares what his personal life is like. You put so much time into his life that it seems t take away from your own.He is a great singer in a band that has virtuoso players at every post, He has talent and is fortuante enough to live a life of privilege! Take it at face value and move on!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:51 AM   #235
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Instead of everybody digging for the answer to Maynard, why don't you just listen to the music and draw your own idea or conclusion of what he is like. If you ever meet him you will have your own experience and then know. He may be cool to you as he may be a asshole to someone else. You will most likely never be his friend so who cares what his personal life is like. You put so much time into his life that it seems t take away from your own.He is a great singer in a band that has virtuoso players at every post, He has talent and is fortuante enough to live a life of privilege! Take it at face value and move on!
OFFLINE |  
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
04-29-2006, 05:52 AM

Does this thread still exist?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:52 AM   #236
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Does this thread still exist?
04-29-2006, 06:04 AM

Why are we all here, for the art or the artists?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #237
Virgin colada, no rum

Why are we all here, for the art or the artists?
OFFLINE |  
bunny_309
04-29-2006, 06:20 AM

Quote:
You're right, if there is a woman involved you cannot expect people to behave with any sort of standard.
Quote:
This is the band that wrote the song Stinkfist and released it as a single.
You understand that he is not literally talking about sticking his arm up someone's ass.
Quote:
Do you excuse Robert Plant of Led Zepplin for the womanizing that he partook of when Zep toured the earth?
No of course I don't excuse him for it. I don't hold rock stars to different standards than other people. It sounds like you do though... or are you cool with womanizing in general?
Quote:
But at the same time, you still chose to go backstage to let a little bit of that greatness rub off on you, didn't you? There's no other reason to meet a musician after a show other than to get a "little bit more" than the average fan.
Yes, you made this point before. We were star struck and naive, that doesn't mean deserving.
Quote:
Do I endorse Keenan the womanizer? No, but it's none of my business. Do I excuse him for his actions? No, but my experience of his art is independent of that decision.
No one's saying don't enjoy the music. The point of me responding in this thread was to hopefully warn people that they may want to steer clear of MJK if they happen to come across him.
Quote:
Do I allow women I love and respect to be placed in the paths of known womanizers? No, because I know better.
I'm catching the implication. Do I feel a sense of responsibilty for what happened? Absolutely. Do I feel guilty about it? Yes. We were very naive about it, but what happened was beyond a simple case of what could reasonably expected to happen.
Am I to blame for what happened? No. Are any of the people in my party that were to blame for what happened? No. That all goes to one person.
Quote:
Wow, that's very philosophical. That's a nice loophole you've created to make rock stars exempt from being held to basic human standards of behavior.
Quote:
Well the rock star phenomenon certainly is interesting and I'm glad you spend a lot of time thinking about why people act the way the do towards these people. It does concern me that you seem to only want to blame the victim in a sense and not hold this rock star accountable for his actions. My whole point of posting was to hopefully warn people that though it might sound like a lot of fun to meet your favorite rock star, don't expect anything from him or her. In fact, don't even expect that rock star to treat other people as human. But the bottom line is that Maynard is a sexual predator; stay away from him.
-b-
Old 04-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #238
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
You're right, if there is a woman involved you cannot expect people to behave with any sort of standard.
Quote:
This is the band that wrote the song Stinkfist and released it as a single.
You understand that he is not literally talking about sticking his arm up someone's ass.
Quote:
Do you excuse Robert Plant of Led Zepplin for the womanizing that he partook of when Zep toured the earth?
No of course I don't excuse him for it. I don't hold rock stars to different standards than other people. It sounds like you do though... or are you cool with womanizing in general?
Quote:
But at the same time, you still chose to go backstage to let a little bit of that greatness rub off on you, didn't you? There's no other reason to meet a musician after a show other than to get a "little bit more" than the average fan.
Yes, you made this point before. We were star struck and naive, that doesn't mean deserving.
Quote:
Do I endorse Keenan the womanizer? No, but it's none of my business. Do I excuse him for his actions? No, but my experience of his art is independent of that decision.
No one's saying don't enjoy the music. The point of me responding in this thread was to hopefully warn people that they may want to steer clear of MJK if they happen to come across him.
Quote:
Do I allow women I love and respect to be placed in the paths of known womanizers? No, because I know better.
I'm catching the implication. Do I feel a sense of responsibilty for what happened? Absolutely. Do I feel guilty about it? Yes. We were very naive about it, but what happened was beyond a simple case of what could reasonably expected to happen.
Am I to blame for what happened? No. Are any of the people in my party that were to blame for what happened? No. That all goes to one person.
Quote:
Wow, that's very philosophical. That's a nice loophole you've created to make rock stars exempt from being held to basic human standards of behavior.
Quote:
Well the rock star phenomenon certainly is interesting and I'm glad you spend a lot of time thinking about why people act the way the do towards these people. It does concern me that you seem to only want to blame the victim in a sense and not hold this rock star accountable for his actions. My whole point of posting was to hopefully warn people that though it might sound like a lot of fun to meet your favorite rock star, don't expect anything from him or her. In fact, don't even expect that rock star to treat other people as human. But the bottom line is that Maynard is a sexual predator; stay away from him.
-b-
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
04-29-2006, 06:47 AM

sexual predator lol. Anyone who wants a little action is now a sexual predator, I guess. That's enough, thread locked.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #239
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

sexual predator lol. Anyone who wants a little action is now a sexual predator, I guess. That's enough, thread locked.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply