Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
ryzur's Avatar ryzur
04-01-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code of the Streets
Show me a one that doesn't?
Your right to a point. All the other magazines show the rhythm notation but this is in conjunction with the sheet music. If you took the sheet music out of those magazines and simply left the tab you'd be left without rhythm information. Guitar World has a hybrid of sheet music and tab; they don't have the actual "sheet music" in the classical or any other instrumentalist sense.

Should have pointed that out I guess. If I had a scanner I'd post a side by side. Maybe I can find one online or something.

Even still, I guess if you knew the magazine well enough you might be able to figure it out with the magazine without the sheet music. Anyways, thats not the point, tab aint so bad when its done right.

Last edited by ryzur; 04-01-2006 at 09:01 PM..
Old 04-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #81
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tidbits from the Guitar World Adam Jones interview...

Quote:
Show me a one that doesn't?
Your right to a point. All the other magazines show the rhythm notation but this is in conjunction with the sheet music. If you took the sheet music out of those magazines and simply left the tab you'd be left without rhythm information. Guitar World has a hybrid of sheet music and tab; they don't have the actual "sheet music" in the classical or any other instrumentalist sense.

Should have pointed that out I guess. If I had a scanner I'd post a side by side. Maybe I can find one online or something.

Even still, I guess if you knew the magazine well enough you might be able to figure it out with the magazine without the sheet music. Anyways, thats not the point, tab aint so bad when its done right.

Last edited by ryzur; 04-01-2006 at 09:01 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
livingdecay's Avatar livingdecay
04-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual
...it's still pending whether or not he'll have to pay the thousands it cost for the bomb squad visit.
Not true.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #82
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual
...it's still pending whether or not he'll have to pay the thousands it cost for the bomb squad visit.
Not true.
04-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
ok seriously, do you people even play guitar? go to your local magazine store and pick up a guitar mag, look at what a tab looks like before returning to this thread.
Your so ignorant. The stuff in the guitar magazines is a guitar tab WITH sheet music notation. Think before you open your mouth. The sheet music part of it tells you everything you need to know. A tab does NOT include the sheet music part. By the way, I majored in music for 3 years in college. I have played guitar professionally for 5 years, and for a total of 10 years.

The majority of you guys arguing that you can use only a tab to play a song don't even know what tablature is. Tablature is just the fret numbers. Tabs, by DEFINITION, DO NOT show note length and music specifics. You CAN use the "tabs" in most guitar magazines because they are accompanied by the SHEET MUSIC for the songs. Don't try to be a professional in music just because you play a musical instrument.

Last edited by Holydirt; 04-01-2006 at 11:42 PM..
Old 04-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #83
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
ok seriously, do you people even play guitar? go to your local magazine store and pick up a guitar mag, look at what a tab looks like before returning to this thread.
Your so ignorant. The stuff in the guitar magazines is a guitar tab WITH sheet music notation. Think before you open your mouth. The sheet music part of it tells you everything you need to know. A tab does NOT include the sheet music part. By the way, I majored in music for 3 years in college. I have played guitar professionally for 5 years, and for a total of 10 years.

The majority of you guys arguing that you can use only a tab to play a song don't even know what tablature is. Tablature is just the fret numbers. Tabs, by DEFINITION, DO NOT show note length and music specifics. You CAN use the "tabs" in most guitar magazines because they are accompanied by the SHEET MUSIC for the songs. Don't try to be a professional in music just because you play a musical instrument.

Last edited by Holydirt; 04-01-2006 at 11:42 PM..
Idiotica
04-02-2006, 12:27 AM

anyone heard from ghost yet?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #84
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

anyone heard from ghost yet?
Spiralman
04-02-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holydirt

Kind of off topic but I just noticed like three seperate instances of this happening so I had to reply. If you are abbreviating "you are", it's "you're", not "your". Really bugs the shit out of me for some reason.

Jay Lee
Old 04-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #85
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Kind of off topic but I just noticed like three seperate instances of this happening so I had to reply. If you are abbreviating "you are", it's "you're", not "your". Really bugs the shit out of me for some reason.

Jay Lee
04-02-2006, 12:33 AM

YOUR just witnessing the decline of the english language that's all.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:33 AM   #86
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

YOUR just witnessing the decline of the english language that's all.
kidgloves2
04-02-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Wow.

Tab.......standard notation......sheet music.....apples....... oranges. THE INFORMATION IS THERE!! Nobody said ONLY TAB, we have been saying the mag gives enough information to figure out what to play!!!!!!! That includes rhythm notation, tempo etc.... which has been said 50 times already.

Holy cow.

Now I know why President Bush was reelected. Half the world really is crazy. This thread is really blowing my mind.

Now I know why things like religion and communism were created....... to controll you people.

Last edited by kidgloves2; 04-02-2006 at 12:41 AM..
Old 04-02-2006, 12:34 AM   #87
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

Wow.

Tab.......standard notation......sheet music.....apples....... oranges. THE INFORMATION IS THERE!! Nobody said ONLY TAB, we have been saying the mag gives enough information to figure out what to play!!!!!!! That includes rhythm notation, tempo etc.... which has been said 50 times already.

Holy cow.

Now I know why President Bush was reelected. Half the world really is crazy. This thread is really blowing my mind.

Now I know why things like religion and communism were created....... to controll you people.

Last edited by kidgloves2; 04-02-2006 at 12:41 AM..
ryzur's Avatar ryzur
04-02-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgloves2
Wow.

Holy cow.

Thank you
Old 04-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #88
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Wow.

Holy cow.

Thank you
04-02-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzur
Thank you
You're welcome. We're the minority though, with a couple others. This is amazing huh?
Old 04-02-2006, 01:32 AM   #89
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzur
Thank you
You're welcome. We're the minority though, with a couple others. This is amazing huh?
ryzur's Avatar ryzur
04-02-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Yet for some reason I keep coming back for more........
Old 04-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #90
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Yet for some reason I keep coming back for more........
04-02-2006, 03:29 AM

somehow in that clusterfuck of incredible BULLSHIT the scans of this article did not appear. maybe it's because you were all buttfucking, but i think we need to get back to topic.

someone scan. kthanks.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #91
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 4

somehow in that clusterfuck of incredible BULLSHIT the scans of this article did not appear. maybe it's because you were all buttfucking, but i think we need to get back to topic.

someone scan. kthanks.
delysid
04-02-2006, 03:31 AM

I'm dying to know more about this "Those Shoes" business. That is my favorite Eagles song and that is one of the coolest 70s rock songs there are. The talkbox, the vocals, and the drums on that song are so cool. I can't believe Adam brought that up.

If Tool actually covered this song I will be so happy.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:31 AM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

I'm dying to know more about this "Those Shoes" business. That is my favorite Eagles song and that is one of the coolest 70s rock songs there are. The talkbox, the vocals, and the drums on that song are so cool. I can't believe Adam brought that up.

If Tool actually covered this song I will be so happy.
04-02-2006, 03:54 AM

I've got a guitar magazine here somewhere with the tab for Parabola.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #93

Bincount™: 10

Code of the Streets
04-02-2006, 03:58 AM

Quote:
The majority of you guys arguing that you can use only a tab to play a song don't even know what tablature is. Tablature is just the fret numbers. Tabs, by DEFINITION, DO NOT show note length and music specifics. You CAN use the "tabs" in most guitar magazines because they are accompanied by the SHEET MUSIC for the songs.

You Should Seriously Consider Killing Yourself. That is easily the most rediculous post I've ever read.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:58 AM   #94
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
The majority of you guys arguing that you can use only a tab to play a song don't even know what tablature is. Tablature is just the fret numbers. Tabs, by DEFINITION, DO NOT show note length and music specifics. You CAN use the "tabs" in most guitar magazines because they are accompanied by the SHEET MUSIC for the songs.

You Should Seriously Consider Killing Yourself. That is easily the most rediculous post I've ever read.
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-02-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep
So do I. It's not Guitar World (or atleast, not the one I have), it's Guitar One magazine, I think. It's wrong in one of the sections (though it's not hard to figure out at all), but other than that, it's a damn good tab.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:44 AM   #95
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep
So do I. It's not Guitar World (or atleast, not the one I have), it's Guitar One magazine, I think. It's wrong in one of the sections (though it's not hard to figure out at all), but other than that, it's a damn good tab.
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-02-2006, 05:46 AM

I should note that I have the Guitar World with Adam and Justin on the cover that came out before Lateralus was released. They talked about some of the songs and the lawsuit stuff and the whole process of making the album, but there was no tab for any of their songs in there.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:46 AM   #96
Banned.

I should note that I have the Guitar World with Adam and Justin on the cover that came out before Lateralus was released. They talked about some of the songs and the lawsuit stuff and the whole process of making the album, but there was no tab for any of their songs in there.
Nebel
04-02-2006, 05:48 AM

I really would love a transcript of this interview, I'm really eager to read it. Oh well. Thanks for the info anyways.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #97
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

I really would love a transcript of this interview, I'm really eager to read it. Oh well. Thanks for the info anyways.
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-02-2006, 05:49 AM

When does this issue of GW come out?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #98
Banned.

When does this issue of GW come out?
Nebel
04-02-2006, 05:50 AM

April 11th but subscribers and some people have gotten it early.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #99
Level 8 - Vociferous

April 11th but subscribers and some people have gotten it early.
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-02-2006, 05:58 AM

Are you sure about people getting it early?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #100
Banned.

bass_dude's Avatar bass_dude
04-02-2006, 06:19 AM

No one need transcript it though really- don't they put it up on their website like every other interview?

Alex
Old 04-02-2006, 06:19 AM   #101

Bincount™: 5

No one need transcript it though really- don't they put it up on their website like every other interview?

Alex
orange.juice's Avatar orange.juice
04-02-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
where i live, subscribers get stuff a week in advance, at most.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #102
Banned.

Bincount™: 932

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
where i live, subscribers get stuff a week in advance, at most.
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-02-2006, 06:29 AM

Yeah, 2 1/2 weeks sounds a little off to me.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:29 AM   #103
Banned.

Yeah, 2 1/2 weeks sounds a little off to me.
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
04-02-2006, 07:04 AM

To clear it up for the fucktards:

tabs that display the music alongside them are just as correct/valid/whatever as you can get. If you give a viola player a piece of sheet music and ask him to play it, he will play as accurately as a guitar player would play this. wanna know why? because they're both fucking sheet music. look at the top staff of that link. see the clef and the notes and the note lengths given? see the tab in the staff below?

in fact, it's even possible to do that without giving the sheet music by including stems with the tabs... try it out with finale.

now would you all please stop bickering like little bitches? obviously if i gave you a tab like this then you couldn't come even close to playing it correctly without having heard the song first. but good tabs aren't just text...

we done? good.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #104
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

To clear it up for the fucktards:

tabs that display the music alongside them are just as correct/valid/whatever as you can get. If you give a viola player a piece of sheet music and ask him to play it, he will play as accurately as a guitar player would play this. wanna know why? because they're both fucking sheet music. look at the top staff of that link. see the clef and the notes and the note lengths given? see the tab in the staff below?

in fact, it's even possible to do that without giving the sheet music by including stems with the tabs... try it out with finale.

now would you all please stop bickering like little bitches? obviously if i gave you a tab like this then you couldn't come even close to playing it correctly without having heard the song first. but good tabs aren't just text...

we done? good.
04-02-2006, 07:26 AM

how do you do it on finale? i have notepad, but i can barely use it
Old 04-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #105
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

dischordance's Avatar dischordance
04-02-2006, 07:31 AM

So. How about that Guitar World!!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #106
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 360

So. How about that Guitar World!!
04-02-2006, 08:27 AM

I AM THE GHOST OF THE NAVIGATOR
I AM HERE TO LICK MY TOES.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #107
Banned.

Bincount™: 3710

I AM THE GHOST OF THE NAVIGATOR
I AM HERE TO LICK MY TOES.
04-02-2006, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus X torsi
it might only be in the full version. click on the staff tool, and change the clef to TAB. if you don't uncheck "display stems and beams", then they'll stay there, pretty well displaying rhythmic info.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #108
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus X torsi
it might only be in the full version. click on the staff tool, and change the clef to TAB. if you don't uncheck "display stems and beams", then they'll stay there, pretty well displaying rhythmic info.
04-02-2006, 09:17 AM

"Who are you to point your finger" = The Pot lyrics?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #109
Level 8 - Vociferous

04-02-2006, 09:40 AM

i have subscription to GW, and a scanner

so, i will post scans as soon as it gets delivered.

until then, stfu & gtfo
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #110
Level 12 - Scurrilous

until then, stfu & gtfo
04-02-2006, 09:48 AM

you rawk dude

Last edited by Nebel; 04-02-2006 at 09:52 AM..
Old 04-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #111
Level 8 - Vociferous

you rawk dude

Last edited by Nebel; 04-02-2006 at 09:52 AM..
bluefire's Avatar bluefire
04-02-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebel
yes, and apparently "the pot" is a reference to the old saying "pot calling kettle black".

Interesting to hear "who are you to point your finger" after releasing an album like aenima. Haven't heard it(obviously) so maybe it will come in context.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #112
On Probation

Bincount™: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebel
yes, and apparently "the pot" is a reference to the old saying "pot calling kettle black".

Interesting to hear "who are you to point your finger" after releasing an album like aenima. Haven't heard it(obviously) so maybe it will come in context.
DirtyBanana's Avatar DirtyBanana
04-02-2006, 09:54 AM

http://groups.google.de/group/alt.music.tool/browse_thread/thread/9b1202aa2de4a78b/a1598077e23cccf9?hl=de#a1598077e23cccf9
Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #113
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 139

http://groups.google.de/group/alt.music.tool/browse_thread/thread/9b1202aa2de4a78b/a1598077e23cccf9?hl=de#a1598077e23cccf9
04-02-2006, 09:59 AM

btw, I've never looked at a guitar world "tab"--but it sounds like if you were arguing for tablature, you lost the argument a long time ago because you were arguing for notation.

I'M NOT FINISHED YET. I HAVE TO TAKE IN THE GLORIOUS VICTORY. DON'T GET IN MY WAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag

until then, stfu & gtfo
much appreciated

Last edited by KJM; 04-02-2006 at 10:08 AM..
Old 04-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #114
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Bincount™: 48

btw, I've never looked at a guitar world "tab"--but it sounds like if you were arguing for tablature, you lost the argument a long time ago because you were arguing for notation.

I'M NOT FINISHED YET. I HAVE TO TAKE IN THE GLORIOUS VICTORY. DON'T GET IN MY WAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag

until then, stfu & gtfo
much appreciated

Last edited by KJM; 04-02-2006 at 10:08 AM..
researchtriangle's Avatar researchtriangle
04-02-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBanana
solid
Old 04-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #115
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBanana
solid
Dick Savage's Avatar Dick Savage
04-02-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I'll second that one.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #116
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I'll second that one.
KJM
04-02-2006, 10:16 AM

If only you could spell ridiculous.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #117
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

04-02-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM

Wow! I think that's all I need to say. Oh wait, I can also say OMG!!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #118
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM

Wow! I think that's all I need to say. Oh wait, I can also say OMG!!!!
KJM
04-02-2006, 10:18 AM

Why? I said tablature. I've been saying tablature the whole time. No one until the last page said "Guitar world tab is actually standard notation that just looks like tab".

That's not tablature. That's standard notation made to be read by people who can't read music.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #119
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Why? I said tablature. I've been saying tablature the whole time. No one until the last page said "Guitar world tab is actually standard notation that just looks like tab".

That's not tablature. That's standard notation made to be read by people who can't read music.
04-02-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM
intelligence ridicule with fragmented english is classic
Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #120
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM
intelligence ridicule with fragmented english is classic

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply