Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 07. Lost Keys
User Name
Password
pneumanon
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM

This is most likely a coincidence, but it's a thought...

The parenthetic portion of the title is "Blame Hoffman."
As has been stated in many previous posts, this could be referring to Albert Hoffman. It sounds as if the doctor in the track says "Good morning, I'm Dr. Wasson", however. On the lyrics portion of this page it's widely regarded as "Watson", but it sounds more like "Wasson" to me. Of course, this is where my speculation comes in. With the reference to Hoffman and Wasson (if it is indeed Wasson), it seems as though this could be loosely referring to salvia divinorum, being that Wasson and Hoffman brought divinorum from it's native Oaxaca locale to "the western world", so to speak. The most common strain of divinorum is typically referred to as the "Wasson/Hoffman clone." Thoughts?

http://maya.ucr.edu/pril/ethnobotany/image/Salvia.pdf
Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Dr. Wasson ... Blame Hoffman ... divinorum?

As has been stated in many previous posts, this could be referring to Albert Hoffman. It sounds as if the doctor in the track says "Good morning, I'm Dr. Wasson", however. On the lyrics portion of this page it's widely regarded as "Watson", but it sounds more like "Wasson" to me. Of course, this is where my speculation comes in. With the reference to Hoffman and Wasson (if it is indeed Wasson), it seems as though this could be loosely referring to salvia divinorum, being that Wasson and Hoffman brought divinorum from it's native Oaxaca locale to "the western world", so to speak. The most common strain of divinorum is typically referred to as the "Wasson/Hoffman clone." Thoughts?

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Nice one :)

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200
Re: Dr. Wasson ... Blame Hoffman ... divinorum?

Nice one :)

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Mesher_dakimi's Avatar Mesher_dakimi
05-09-2006, 04:57 PM

I was just about to start this thread
crasy
Old 05-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

I was just about to start this thread
crasy
a perfect spiral's Avatar a perfect spiral
05-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumanon

I've been saying this.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

I've been saying this.
05-11-2006, 07:00 PM

I've been curious as to the significance of the doctor's name. I knew it wasn't random, but a find like this is great.

I love how Salvia is completely legal, but I hate how I can never get a hold of any. :-/
Old 05-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

I've been curious as to the significance of the doctor's name. I knew it wasn't random, but a find like this is great.

I love how Salvia is completely legal, but I hate how I can never get a hold of any. :-/
collapsed shell's Avatar collapsed shell
05-12-2006, 12:03 PM

it doesn't matter in any way, but my last name is watson. thats also the name that everyone who knows me addresses me by. so i was really liking the fact that some people thought he said watson.

yes i know its retarded. but hey lateralus had "triad" which was the name of my school and "jimmy" is my fathers name...

i;m pretty sure that i met tool while on a robo trip years ago and they sucked out my brain.
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 31

it doesn't matter in any way, but my last name is watson. thats also the name that everyone who knows me addresses me by. so i was really liking the fact that some people thought he said watson.

yes i know its retarded. but hey lateralus had "triad" which was the name of my school and "jimmy" is my fathers name...

i;m pretty sure that i met tool while on a robo trip years ago and they sucked out my brain.
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
Dr. Jake Destructo's Avatar Dr. Jake Destructo
05-14-2006, 06:55 PM

My name starts with J, and there are several Tool tracks that begin with that letter.

zomg.

I live in Mabton, and in Lateralus, there is an 'a' AND a 't.' What are the fucken chances of that.

zomg x2

:p I must have been on that robo trip with you, man.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #7

Bincount™: 4

My name starts with J, and there are several Tool tracks that begin with that letter.

zomg.

I live in Mabton, and in Lateralus, there is an 'a' AND a 't.' What are the fucken chances of that.

zomg x2

schismsirp's Avatar schismsirp
05-15-2006, 02:04 AM

Regarding your Wasson/Hoffman connection...R. Gordon Wasson was NOT a doctor. Put it to rest. Its most likely Dr. Watson, and the obvious reference to Hoffman seems simply like Maynard saying, "You can thank Hoffman for what you're about to hear, Doc."
For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel, looking, looking, breathlessly. - don Juan
Old 05-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #8

Bincount™: 1

Regarding your Wasson/Hoffman connection...R. Gordon Wasson was NOT a doctor. Put it to rest. Its most likely Dr. Watson, and the obvious reference to Hoffman seems simply like Maynard saying, "You can thank Hoffman for what you're about to hear, Doc."
For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel, looking, looking, breathlessly. - don Juan
jugheadsjonesin
05-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Destructo

dude you can get it on the internet. salvia's lame.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Destructo

StereoScopicLenses's Avatar StereoScopicLenses
05-15-2006, 03:41 PM

When I listen to the track it sounds like he says his name is Dr. Lawson to me.. Anyone else?? I don't think its wasson or watson.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #10

When I listen to the track it sounds like he says his name is Dr. Lawson to me.. Anyone else?? I don't think its wasson or watson.
05-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Has anybody actually ever tried Salvia Divinorum or perhaps the rivea corymbosa seeds? I just sat here for about the last hour and a half reading all about them and curious is it's actually worth trying. I guess I miss the good ol' mushroom trip feeling which I haven't done in many years but have wanted to try again.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

Has anybody actually ever tried Salvia Divinorum or perhaps the rivea corymbosa seeds? I just sat here for about the last hour and a half reading all about them and curious is it's actually worth trying. I guess I miss the good ol' mushroom trip feeling which I haven't done in many years but have wanted to try again.
05-16-2006, 08:51 AM

Salvia is that great if your going to order exotic plants go with mescaline containg cactus, or learn to make an aya brew(Cappi Vine, any dmt containing plant eg. Mimosa). Salvia has no control to it i dont find it to be enlightening.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Salvia is that great if your going to order exotic plants go with mescaline containg cactus, or learn to make an aya brew(Cappi Vine, any dmt containing plant eg. Mimosa). Salvia has no control to it i dont find it to be enlightening.
schismsirp's Avatar schismsirp
05-16-2006, 07:22 PM

Salvia is ruthless and unrelenting. To put it another way, you can have an extended, stimulating and enlightened conversation with somebody (psilocybin, LSD) or you could just let the person punch you in the face. With your eyes closed (Salvia).
Old 05-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #13

Bincount™: 1

Salvia is ruthless and unrelenting. To put it another way, you can have an extended, stimulating and enlightened conversation with somebody (psilocybin, LSD) or you could just let the person punch you in the face. With your eyes closed (Salvia).
3rdi(O)
05-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
I believe you are correct. I found some info on this Dr. Lawson fellow and it makes more sense to me than Wasson. I started a thread here:
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=47988
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
I believe you are correct. I found some info on this Dr. Lawson fellow and it makes more sense to me than Wasson. I started a thread here:
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=47988
pneumanon
05-17-2006, 04:39 PM

Wow, I'm surprised... I've found salvia to be without a doubt the most enlightening entheogen I've tried. But I understand it's not for everyone and not everyone has the patience for it.

It is most likely that even if the Dr. is saying "Wasson", it is not a reference to Dr. R Gordon Wasson, but as far as I've read he was a Doctor. Check here:

http://lookinside2-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35leol8dwT1D++LD45NFnfyXirdyfn518ttY8OIReFRg NbttBDn9I+NLkd

Am I way off on this?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow, I'm surprised... I've found salvia to be without a doubt the most enlightening entheogen I've tried. But I understand it's not for everyone and not everyone has the patience for it.

It is most likely that even if the Dr. is saying "Wasson", it is not a reference to Dr. R Gordon Wasson, but as far as I've read he was a Doctor. Check here:

http://lookinside2-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35leol8dwT1D++LD45NFnfyXirdyfn518ttY8OIReFRg NbttBDn9I+NLkd

Am I way off on this?
OGT from back in the day's Avatar OGT from back in the day
05-17-2006, 06:36 PM

ok im lost.......i dont want to sound like an idiot but wat is salvia? also is hoffman the "father" of LSD? i heard that somewhere but i dont know if it is true
Old 05-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #16

ok im lost.......i dont want to sound like an idiot but wat is salvia? also is hoffman the "father" of LSD? i heard that somewhere but i dont know if it is true
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
05-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGT from back in the day
salvia's a hallucinogenic plant. it doesn't seem to work on everyone, hence the myriad detractors. you kinda need to smoke it fast and 'break through' to the salvia world. ive only ever felt myself pushed right back in my chair from it, and this really weird gross itchy feeling, like youve just woken up with a hangover and had a shave or something, hard to explain. it is illegal in oz though so i havent had much of a chance to explore, and have never tried the extract, which is what most users swear by, check erowid.org for any drug shit you wanna find out, hoffman is the father of lsd, as in he birthed it from his pineal vagina.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGT from back in the day
salvia's a hallucinogenic plant. it doesn't seem to work on everyone, hence the myriad detractors. you kinda need to smoke it fast and 'break through' to the salvia world. ive only ever felt myself pushed right back in my chair from it, and this really weird gross itchy feeling, like youve just woken up with a hangover and had a shave or something, hard to explain. it is illegal in oz though so i havent had much of a chance to explore, and have never tried the extract, which is what most users swear by, check erowid.org for any drug shit you wanna find out, hoffman is the father of lsd, as in he birthed it from his pineal vagina.
05-19-2006, 11:58 AM

ok thanks man
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #18

ok thanks man
beny2
06-08-2006, 06:58 AM

Salvia Sucks - order it online
Old 06-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Salvia Sucks - order it online
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM

Why the Salvia hate?
Old 07-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Why the Salvia hate?
plexus's Avatar plexus
07-17-2006, 08:31 PM

salvia ROCKS!

edit....

if you think otherwise.... you dont know how to do salvia.
(especially the guy talking about being punched in the face.)
Old 07-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

salvia ROCKS!

edit....

Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
07-17-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus
salvia ROCKS!

edit....

I agree. If I were to write a song with Albert's name in it, and it needed a character, I would have named him Wasson. That's very Robert Anton Wilson type humor.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus
salvia ROCKS!

edit....

I agree. If I were to write a song with Albert's name in it, and it needed a character, I would have named him Wasson. That's very Robert Anton Wilson type humor.
plexus's Avatar plexus
07-18-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid
Id name him Razzlemctazzle Bizzlefrizzlefryphrenewton.
But Id be on acid at the time, so that would explain it.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid
Id name him Razzlemctazzle Bizzlefrizzlefryphrenewton.
But Id be on acid at the time, so that would explain it.
molehill's Avatar molehill
07-20-2006, 02:16 AM

The first time I heard this track (and I don't know if this has been mentioned previously) I was strongly reminded of the Hawkwind track "Flying Doctor". Mainly because of the 'trippy' content of the track and the fact that Dr Watson/Wasson is Australian. Whether or not this is of any relevence, who knows.

Flying Doctor - Hawkwind (definitely worth a listen)

He sneaks through the door of the surgery
He's got the drug cabinet key
He did something funny and he tied up his arm
It's just the flying doctor, no cause for alarm
He sprinkled out a powder and spread out a line
He sniffed it up his nostril and he's feeling so fine
Feeling so fine, it feels like he's flying
His receptionist saw him, it certainly shocked her
She said "Look out, you'd better duck,
Here comes the Flying Doctor"

Out in the outback, there's been an outbreak
and the Flying Doctor's got nothing to take
He went to the cabinet, the cabinet was bare
His eyes dilated, you can see by his stare.
Called up his base on the radio,
He said; "My supplies are running low,
They're running low, you can see where they go
They're running low, I see where they go"
Out in the outback with my Percival Proctor
Look out you'd better duck,
Here comes the Flying Doctor

He's got the cabinet key,
The cabinet key, the cabinet key...
He's got the cabinet key, the drug cabinet key...

"This is the Flying Doctor calling Wallarolla base
Wallorola base come in please...
I want to talk to you about my drugs situation...
My drug situation is rather tight...
About as tight as a kangaroo's khyber, I'd say"

Cabinet key, cabinet key...

"Wake up ! - One, two, three, four"

A Sheila in the bush by a Koolahbar tree
Needed an urgent appendectomy
The Flying Doctor like a true Australian,
Performed the operation with a sardine can
He made a rough incision and tried to chew it out,
He had no anaesthetic, so she started to shout,
She started to shout, when he was chewing it out,
She started to shout, he tried to chew it right out,
He balled up his fist and scientifically socked her,

Cabinet key, cabinet key, cabinet key...

(Drug Cabinet referring to the cabinet where all the Schedule 8 pharms are kept, locked away)
Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #24
On Probation

Bincount™: 715

The first time I heard this track (and I don't know if this has been mentioned previously) I was strongly reminded of the Hawkwind track "Flying Doctor". Mainly because of the 'trippy' content of the track and the fact that Dr Watson/Wasson is Australian. Whether or not this is of any relevence, who knows.

Flying Doctor - Hawkwind (definitely worth a listen)

He sneaks through the door of the surgery
He's got the drug cabinet key
He did something funny and he tied up his arm
It's just the flying doctor, no cause for alarm
He sprinkled out a powder and spread out a line
He sniffed it up his nostril and he's feeling so fine
His receptionist saw him, it certainly shocked her
She said "Look out, you'd better duck,
Here comes the Flying Doctor"

Out in the outback, there's been an outbreak
and the Flying Doctor's got nothing to take
He went to the cabinet, the cabinet was bare
His eyes dilated, you can see by his stare.
Called up his base on the radio,
He said; "My supplies are running low,
They're running low, you can see where they go
They're running low, I see where they go"
Out in the outback with my Percival Proctor

He's got the cabinet key,
The cabinet key, the cabinet key...
He's got the cabinet key, the drug cabinet key...

"This is the Flying Doctor calling Wallarolla base
Wallorola base come in please...
I want to talk to you about my drugs situation...
My drug situation is rather tight...
About as tight as a kangaroo's khyber, I'd say"

Cabinet key, cabinet key...

"Wake up ! - One, two, three, four"

A Sheila in the bush by a Koolahbar tree
Needed an urgent appendectomy
The Flying Doctor like a true Australian,
Performed the operation with a sardine can
He made a rough incision and tried to chew it out,
He had no anaesthetic, so she started to shout,
She started to shout, when he was chewing it out,
She started to shout, he tried to chew it right out,
He balled up his fist and scientifically socked her,

Cabinet key, cabinet key, cabinet key...

(Drug Cabinet referring to the cabinet where all the Schedule 8 pharms are kept, locked away)
NukeAJS's Avatar NukeAJS
07-25-2006, 01:15 AM

Also, the nurse comments that his vitals are stable and he's pretty much ok. I'm going to assume that the crying is the patient because it gets louder when the Doctor enters the room.

I think the track refers to a bad trip because of this. When someone "loses their marbles" they go crazy. The patient is obviously distressed, but there is nothing physically wrong with him according to the nurse. From the title and the nurse's diaglog, this is possibily because of a bad trip. I think the track was titled lost keys and not lost marbles because keys (drugs) are a good help to opening up the doors of perception.

Apparently, the patient (if that is indeed who is crying) obvious opened a couple of doors and lost his keys thus getting him stuck in that stae of mind. We blame Hoffman because he's primarily responsible for a lot of the science behind psychedelics (shrooms, LSD, salvia ... I'm sure there are others).

That's my two cents at least. I thought naming the doctor Watson was pretty funny too.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:15 AM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 10

Also, the nurse comments that his vitals are stable and he's pretty much ok. I'm going to assume that the crying is the patient because it gets louder when the Doctor enters the room.

I think the track refers to a bad trip because of this. When someone "loses their marbles" they go crazy. The patient is obviously distressed, but there is nothing physically wrong with him according to the nurse. From the title and the nurse's diaglog, this is possibily because of a bad trip. I think the track was titled lost keys and not lost marbles because keys (drugs) are a good help to opening up the doors of perception.

Apparently, the patient (if that is indeed who is crying) obvious opened a couple of doors and lost his keys thus getting him stuck in that stae of mind. We blame Hoffman because he's primarily responsible for a lot of the science behind psychedelics (shrooms, LSD, salvia ... I'm sure there are others).

That's my two cents at least. I thought naming the doctor Watson was pretty funny too.
okerguy101
07-25-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugheadsjonesin
not lame it just really isn't to enjoyable and you are left kind of feeling raped by the drug.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugheadsjonesin
not lame it just really isn't to enjoyable and you are left kind of feeling raped by the drug.
crispy
08-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okerguy101 View Post

lol

ive heard that before
Old 08-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:

lol

ive heard that before
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
08-20-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugheadsjonesin View Post
idiot.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #28
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugheadsjonesin View Post
idiot.
Phalanges
10-18-2006, 01:56 PM

I did 20x extract of Salvia, and it was probably the most frightening thing I've ever experienced. So, hard to explain, you pretty much go to a completely different dimension. It really destroys your ego, you feel reduced down to nothing, at one point I experienced being an item in a vending machine.... And at the end of it, you come back so confused, you completely forget you did anything, and it might scare you if you're wondering why you're experiencing those weird things. Definitely felt "raped", if that's the right word for it. I prefer acid, mushrooms or ecstacy for the inner journies/enlightenment.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

I did 20x extract of Salvia, and it was probably the most frightening thing I've ever experienced. So, hard to explain, you pretty much go to a completely different dimension. It really destroys your ego, you feel reduced down to nothing, at one point I experienced being an item in a vending machine.... And at the end of it, you come back so confused, you completely forget you did anything, and it might scare you if you're wondering why you're experiencing those weird things. Definitely felt "raped", if that's the right word for it. I prefer acid, mushrooms or ecstacy for the inner journies/enlightenment.
El Shaggy's Avatar El Shaggy
11-08-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
smoke a bowl of marijuana soon after to avoid this feeling.

I can recall a friend's experince similiar to Phalanges. She was sitting in front of a 50" outdated TV with Super Mario Sunshine playing idle. Haphazardly, this was left on for the discourse of the users experince and she was horrified after it wore off. Really like any 19 year old would be at that point. But if you entertain more likeable ideas the Experince can be enjoyable, mind your set and setting.

Really a drug that wouldn't see much addiction. Though, the above stated alternative smoke does remedy many of the short-lasting and more unpleasnt after effects.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #30
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

Quote:
smoke a bowl of marijuana soon after to avoid this feeling.

I can recall a friend's experince similiar to Phalanges. She was sitting in front of a 50" outdated TV with Super Mario Sunshine playing idle. Haphazardly, this was left on for the discourse of the users experince and she was horrified after it wore off. Really like any 19 year old would be at that point. But if you entertain more likeable ideas the Experince can be enjoyable, mind your set and setting.

Really a drug that wouldn't see much addiction. Though, the above stated alternative smoke does remedy many of the short-lasting and more unpleasnt after effects.
Lysander
11-19-2006, 12:12 PM

Is DMT in Salvia?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #31

Is DMT in Salvia?
02-14-2007, 06:41 AM

I really like the "Wasson" idea, though it could very well be something else.

To the poster who decided that it couldn't be "Wasson" because Wasson wasn't a doctor: here's a big WAY TO JUMP THE GUN.

Just because Wasson wasn't a doctor, doesn't mean that TOOL wouldn't insert his name into the song where it seems to fit (or at least be a bit of the tongue-in-cheek humor found in "Rosetta Stoned").
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

I really like the "Wasson" idea, though it could very well be something else.

To the poster who decided that it couldn't be "Wasson" because Wasson wasn't a doctor: here's a big WAY TO JUMP THE GUN.

Just because Wasson wasn't a doctor, doesn't mean that TOOL wouldn't insert his name into the song where it seems to fit (or at least be a bit of the tongue-in-cheek humor found in "Rosetta Stoned").
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
bassmaster's Avatar bassmaster
02-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Destructo View Post

zomg.

zomg x2

Dude, my name is Jake irl and I used to be able to recite the entire script from the first TMNT movie when I was a kid.

omgwftbbq

*head asplodes*
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Destructo View Post

zomg.

zomg x2

Dude, my name is Jake irl and I used to be able to recite the entire script from the first TMNT movie when I was a kid.

omgwftbbq

*head asplodes*
Creature Core7's Avatar Creature Core7
02-24-2007, 08:18 AM

Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

tryptosaur
03-19-2007, 06:13 AM

DMT is NOT salvia.
Salvia is extremely potent. Don't be discouraged by the ignorance of others. I grew it for a while, and have had some of the most paranormal experiences of my life with it. And I've done mushrooms, LSD, ayahuasca and smoked DMT (not all at once).
Salvia divinorum contains salvinorin A which is THE most potent naturally occuring entheogen to ever be discovered.
I have had friends tell me that the experience was way too frightening to repeat, but as for me, I've never experienced any fear, only wonder, awe, and astonishment.
The first 3 times I did it, I only got physical sensations, but then by the 4th time----holy fucking shit!
It's definitely not for everyone --- even though I can't personally understand why.

Oh, yeah. It's HOFMANN and not Hoffman.
Wasson by the way was the 1st "Westerner" to paricipate in a sacred mushroom ritual in Mexico. He and his wife started the science of mycology, the study of mushrooms. And, yes, he and A. Hofmann were also the first "Westerners" to collect samples of salvia divinorum and ingest the leaves.
At the beginning of Rosetta Stoned, he specifically says "10 to 2am" which is 4 hours. Four hours is just about exactly how long DMT makes you trip for when ingested w/ an MAO inhibitor as a "tea".
Smoked DMT only lasts no more than 20 minutes or so. And LSD lasts 8-12 hours.
I do believe the opening lines of the song are actual and not just metaphorical. Why say DMT if it's really LSD or salvia? And he mentions "X" also. Ecstasy? Probably. What else is referred to simply as "X"?
The "Blame Hofmann"-thing does seem to confuse what is being said. I think it's due to the fact that even though psychedelics were being experimented with by Europeans and Americans before LSD, it never reached the immense proportions that it did (especially the 60s) once the public got a hold of acid.
The serious research into psychedelics in general was in a sense fathered by Albert Hofmann.
I don't think Maynard is actually blaming Hofmann, but is more like saying it tongue in cheek. Being facecious (did I spell that right?)
One could equally say "THANK Hofmann" for stirring something up that played a crucial role in providing the subject matter for one of the most awesome songs ever created.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #35

DMT is NOT salvia.
Salvia is extremely potent. Don't be discouraged by the ignorance of others. I grew it for a while, and have had some of the most paranormal experiences of my life with it. And I've done mushrooms, LSD, ayahuasca and smoked DMT (not all at once).
Salvia divinorum contains salvinorin A which is THE most potent naturally occuring entheogen to ever be discovered.
I have had friends tell me that the experience was way too frightening to repeat, but as for me, I've never experienced any fear, only wonder, awe, and astonishment.
The first 3 times I did it, I only got physical sensations, but then by the 4th time----holy fucking shit!
It's definitely not for everyone --- even though I can't personally understand why.

Oh, yeah. It's HOFMANN and not Hoffman.
Wasson by the way was the 1st "Westerner" to paricipate in a sacred mushroom ritual in Mexico. He and his wife started the science of mycology, the study of mushrooms. And, yes, he and A. Hofmann were also the first "Westerners" to collect samples of salvia divinorum and ingest the leaves.
At the beginning of Rosetta Stoned, he specifically says "10 to 2am" which is 4 hours. Four hours is just about exactly how long DMT makes you trip for when ingested w/ an MAO inhibitor as a "tea".
Smoked DMT only lasts no more than 20 minutes or so. And LSD lasts 8-12 hours.
I do believe the opening lines of the song are actual and not just metaphorical. Why say DMT if it's really LSD or salvia? And he mentions "X" also. Ecstasy? Probably. What else is referred to simply as "X"?
The "Blame Hofmann"-thing does seem to confuse what is being said. I think it's due to the fact that even though psychedelics were being experimented with by Europeans and Americans before LSD, it never reached the immense proportions that it did (especially the 60s) once the public got a hold of acid.
The serious research into psychedelics in general was in a sense fathered by Albert Hofmann.
I don't think Maynard is actually blaming Hofmann, but is more like saying it tongue in cheek. Being facecious (did I spell that right?)
One could equally say "THANK Hofmann" for stirring something up that played a crucial role in providing the subject matter for one of the most awesome songs ever created.
Janster
05-05-2007, 05:54 PM

At first, I thought it was Dr. Roswell for some reason...
Old 05-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

At first, I thought it was Dr. Roswell for some reason...
Rotating_Energy_Field's Avatar Rotating_Energy_Field
05-11-2007, 05:32 AM

http://www.erowid.org/culture/charac...r_gordon.shtml

Dr. Wasson from Lost Keys is almost certainly a reference to Gordon Wasson. The song is about psychedelics in general - their positive and negative effects:

Negatives:
Temporary psychosis
Disbelief of the validity of the psychedelic experience by mainstream science

Positives:
Amazing revelations
Connection to a different layer of reality

It doesn't matter about Hoffman or Wasson, the band have simply used their names as a clue to the songs meaning.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

http://www.erowid.org/culture/charac...r_gordon.shtml

Dr. Wasson from Lost Keys is almost certainly a reference to Gordon Wasson. The song is about psychedelics in general - their positive and negative effects:

Negatives:
Temporary psychosis
Disbelief of the validity of the psychedelic experience by mainstream science

Positives:
Amazing revelations
Connection to a different layer of reality

It doesn't matter about Hoffman or Wasson, the band have simply used their names as a clue to the songs meaning.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
lighterbandit
06-25-2007, 12:59 AM

just my 2 cents, salvia is for advanced trippers and otherwise it completely overwhelms and terrifies you. i was very interested to discover that smoking it while tripping on other substances produces a completely new and INCREDIBLE effect. for me it removes the extremely uncomfortable physical effects of the salvia, intensifies the visuals exponentially, adds more duration and depth to the salvia 'high', and last but not least it adds a new dimension of some strange form of 'communication' to the trip. whatever it was i learned a lot from it. DONT DO THIS unless you know what the fuck you're doing or I won't be there to bail you out of jail. peace
Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 AM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

just my 2 cents, salvia is for advanced trippers and otherwise it completely overwhelms and terrifies you. i was very interested to discover that smoking it while tripping on other substances produces a completely new and INCREDIBLE effect. for me it removes the extremely uncomfortable physical effects of the salvia, intensifies the visuals exponentially, adds more duration and depth to the salvia 'high', and last but not least it adds a new dimension of some strange form of 'communication' to the trip. whatever it was i learned a lot from it. DONT DO THIS unless you know what the fuck you're doing or I won't be there to bail you out of jail. peace
Greenrent
10-18-2010, 09:55 PM

It's really nice and very interesting post.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #39
Banned.

It's really nice and very interesting post.
Satla
03-11-2011, 04:18 AM

This speculation seems pretty reasonable, and also very typical to tool. i doubted it at first, im reminding to anyone an actual album of tool called "salvial", and stuff like the begining of third eye.
I dont really have time to analyse the whole song, but after superficial reading of "rosetta stoned", the fact that salvia doesnt effect on everyone explains some lines like: "Contemplating the whole "chosen people" thingy", "Me. The Chosen One? They chose me!!!", "Such a heavy burden now to be the One"...
Old 03-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

This speculation seems pretty reasonable, and also very typical to tool. i doubted it at first, im reminding to anyone an actual album of tool called "salvial", and stuff like the begining of third eye.
I dont really have time to analyse the whole song, but after superficial reading of "rosetta stoned", the fact that salvia doesnt effect on everyone explains some lines like: "Contemplating the whole "chosen people" thingy", "Me. The Chosen One? They chose me!!!", "Such a heavy burden now to be the One"...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply