Bincount™: 11
Re: This song DOES have something to do with marijuana

LOL
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
penguin3989
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomino View Post
To me the song is about American hypocrisy in all its forms. One of the most glaring hypocrisies in America is our drug laws. It's OK to smoke cigarettes, OK to drink alcohol (one of the most destructive drugs in humanity if not THE most), but not OK to smoke marijuana.

The song is about hypocrisy, and marijuana is contained within that big hypocritical melting "pot" that is our nation.

The funny thing is, so many people are brainwashed into thinking that drugs are nothing but destructive to humanity. Even people on this forum... I would've thought TOOL fans would be more open minded.

I'm not saying that drugs are good, I'm just saying that they're not evil either.
People are the ones who are good or evil, not inanimate objects or substances.

If you think drugs are nothing but destructive to society, throw out all your music albums, because most of the people who made that wonderful music you all love so much.... rrreeeal f*ckin high on drugs. (isn't this a quote in a TOOL album?)

;)

Now I'm not saying thats ALL this song is about, but in my opinion it is definitely ONE of the hypocrisies MJK is talking about.
Thats quote from third eye that you threw in their is from a Bill Hicks standup routine. Maynard was a big fan of Bill Hicks.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #245
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: This song DOES have something to do with marijuana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomino View Post
To me the song is about American hypocrisy in all its forms. One of the most glaring hypocrisies in America is our drug laws. It's OK to smoke cigarettes, OK to drink alcohol (one of the most destructive drugs in humanity if not THE most), but not OK to smoke marijuana.

The song is about hypocrisy, and marijuana is contained within that big hypocritical melting "pot" that is our nation.

The funny thing is, so many people are brainwashed into thinking that drugs are nothing but destructive to humanity. Even people on this forum... I would've thought TOOL fans would be more open minded.

I'm not saying that drugs are good, I'm just saying that they're not evil either.
People are the ones who are good or evil, not inanimate objects or substances.

If you think drugs are nothing but destructive to society, throw out all your music albums, because most of the people who made that wonderful music you all love so much.... rrreeeal f*ckin high on drugs. (isn't this a quote in a TOOL album?)

;)

Now I'm not saying thats ALL this song is about, but in my opinion it is definitely ONE of the hypocrisies MJK is talking about.
Thats quote from third eye that you threw in their is from a Bill Hicks standup routine. Maynard was a big fan of Bill Hicks.
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
05-01-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3989 View Post
Wow, who would've thunk that! Breaking news!!!!!! :(
Old 05-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #246
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Wow, who would've thunk that! Breaking news!!!!!! :(
05-01-2008, 09:04 PM

Easy now Rolo, the gentlemen above you...we call n00bs.

But then again, he does deserve a " :( "

The penguins sucks by the way.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #247
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Easy now Rolo, the gentlemen above you...we call n00bs.

But then again, he does deserve a " :( "

The penguins sucks by the way.
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
05-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Old 05-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #248
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

05-02-2008, 06:59 PM

LOL
Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #249
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

LOL
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
09-12-2008, 03:52 PM

it is perhaps a clever play on words
the pot calls the kettle black
a president calls a dictator crazy and armed
the others are a threat...
and we were all high to believe it, we had to have been...
anesthetized, at least
as in, i'd rather be stoned than shot or clubbed...
and what the song really advocates underneath it all is being aware of hypocrisy
in our selves and others...
christ that sounds preachy...shit, i've become the man...
then i'll post this, and immediately want to change my words around...
this is a work in progress and i have no libretto...
res ipsa liquoteur
Old 09-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #250
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

it is perhaps a clever play on words
the pot calls the kettle black
a president calls a dictator crazy and armed
the others are a threat...
and we were all high to believe it, we had to have been...
anesthetized, at least
as in, i'd rather be stoned than shot or clubbed...
and what the song really advocates underneath it all is being aware of hypocrisy
in our selves and others...
christ that sounds preachy...shit, i've become the man...
then i'll post this, and immediately want to change my words around...
this is a work in progress and i have no libretto...
res ipsa liquoteur
09-12-2008, 05:51 PM

fuckin canadians...
Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #251
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

fuckin canadians...
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
09-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
fuckin canadians...
Sings "blammee caanaadaaa"
Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #252
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
fuckin canadians...
Sings "blammee caanaadaaa"
04-16-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Okay, Maybe someone said this already and it is 4 am, and I have past my pumpkin hour, but if you actually listen to the song, and not just the quote there is a juxtaposition between Bill Hicks and What MJK is saying in the song. The song isn't about getting high, it's about musicians believing that they need drugs in order to produce great music- which MJK, says no you don't "so glad to see you once again, i thought that you were hiding from me, you thought that i had run away, chasing a trial of smokin' reason" ie. "Came out to watch you play, why are you running away"
This song is about our hypocritical legislation. It is about a system that is more interested in ruining lives then fixing problems. This message uses the examples of bs ganja trails to prove the point.
This song to me, says do something with yourself because your system is screwing you and it will continually do so until we do something about it. "kangaroo be stoned. He's guilty as the government".
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #253
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Okay, Maybe someone said this already and it is 4 am, and I have past my pumpkin hour, but if you actually listen to the song, and not just the quote there is a juxtaposition between Bill Hicks and What MJK is saying in the song. The song isn't about getting high, it's about musicians believing that they need drugs in order to produce great music- which MJK, says no you don't "so glad to see you once again, i thought that you were hiding from me, you thought that i had run away, chasing a trial of smokin' reason" ie. "Came out to watch you play, why are you running away"
This song is about our hypocritical legislation. It is about a system that is more interested in ruining lives then fixing problems. This message uses the examples of bs ganja trails to prove the point.
This song to me, says do something with yourself because your system is screwing you and it will continually do so until we do something about it. "kangaroo be stoned. He's guilty as the government".
10-24-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
LMAO...no kiddin. All the kids sitting there like, yeah man, let's trip balls and listen to Tool because it's cool. Or let's smoke pot while listening to The Pot..hehehe. All the while Tool's scoffing at you retards for going about life and experimenting the way that you are with no frame of reference. It's simply getting high to do so, nothing better to do. I'm not saying they or I myself for that matter are completely against drugs, hell I've had my days but, I also used my head about it. It wasn't getting fucked up just to do it. That's exactly what Rosetta Stoned is about, the guy fucking completely overdoes it and then he forgets the most important fundamental thing he could have. I think it's a little cryptic in basically saying, lay the fuck off the drugs kids, do something more production with your time, and if you do stop to experiment, don't OVER do it and at least make it a learning experience. The guy in Rosetta Stoned just got so fucked up he lost track of what he could've gained from the experience. Which is what I think Maynard's talking about when he mentions the message of hope for those who choose to hear it or a warning for those who do not. In the song it was the secret of life but in reality, it's DON'T forget to be responsible about what you are doing or you'll bypass everything that was important about this experience in the first place.
EXACTLY! Thank you.

I didn't know this about him until I saw APC recently, and saw his attitude towards "hippies" and "happy meals" - "I know the world's got problems. I've got problems of my own. Ain't the kind that can be solved with a [happy meal.]" Basically, not a big fan of the "stoners" and the "happy meal" culture that goes along with it, I'd guess..

IMHO, at its most fundamental level, there is a clear message in this album. There is a clear progression from Aenima to Lateralus to 10,000 Days - namely, that each album follows the SPIRIT OF THE TIMES, as it were.

If you can't hear the message without trying to rationalize the lyrics, then you're lost already.

There are layers of depth to the songs and the lyrics that would be impossible to "accurately" describe, even for MJK I'm sure. I will share here (and probably continue to share.. i can't seem to help it) some of the layers of meaning I heard, however. I hope it's helpful, for the one or two that hear.

First, here's one example, not from this song, but I read something in this thread about his mother. And of course, "clearly everything MJK does is about his mother," thank you Dr. Freud.

Well, yes. But, I gather from the Puscifer website that if anything's about his mother, then it's also about MJK's own sub-/unconscious ANIMA. So for example, Wings for Marie, seemingly about his mother, and his desire to see her at peace, in "heaven" - could equally well be about his own SPIRIT. The part of himself which looks inward, and desires freedom "wings."

That could be equally well be my own projection - what I want to believe about the lyrics, and about Maynard, and about life. But at least I started with the way the song made me feel. The song made me feel like I was singing about myself - telling myself, "should you see your maker's face tonight, tell him.. never told a lie, well, might have told a lie, but never lived one..." etc. That is, a part of me (ME) speaking reverentially to another part of me - a hidden, unconscious, mysterious, paradoxical part (in this case ANIMA, specifically), which includes mother, and sister, and every girl ever met, seen, or imagined... and the Idea of femininity, and my own feminine side or nature, the part of me that is receptive, warm... etc..

And at the very self-same time it made me feel like I was singing about my dead mother, who, "never took a life, but surely saved one..." as I'm sure it made many people feel toward their own loved ones who don't live here anymore, and who they wish would be in some "heaven" somewhere, at peace, free to fly where they will, etc...

I believe both are true, and so much, much more.

Another topic, this time a lyric, off the top of my head: "liar, lawyer, mirror, show me what's the difference?" One sees in the mirror, not the true version of oneself, but the "rainbows and sunshine" version of oneself - not just the PERSONA; but anyone who doesn't hate themselves and long for death, sees a version of themselves in the mirror which is FALSE (i.e. one-sided). Which means that all the NEGATIVE aspects of one's personality must be PROJECTED onto someone/something else. In other words, the pot calling the kettle black. It's simple psychology.

Thus the liar, the lawyer, and the mirror, all show us people finding a way to believe their own version of reality, and convince others it's right, or true, or better, or *smack* the ONLY.

But again, just to prove a point, in this line he is equally asking something like, "mirror mirror on the wall, show me the difference between lies and justice in this country."

That's just the way poetry is. It is straight-forward. It appears "spontaneously" from the UNCONSCIOUS. And therefore its meaning is also on that level - SYMBOLIC, PARADOXICAL, etc.

+ + +

So without further ado, this is I believe the general message/warning of this album:

CHANGE IS COMING.

if you have to stop smoking the pot, and stop watching the TV, in order to wake up and pay attention to the fact that CHANGE IS EVERYWHERE. CHANGE IS ALL AROUND US..... and WE ARE THOSE CHANGES. Then so be it.

I believe almost everything Maynard says is half-in-jest. It's why I love his music so. Shit, why do you think he has a vineyard in Arizona? Prime location, not too close to the beach..

And what are all you potheads who can't even cook without a microwave gonna do, "when the shit hits the fan, my child.." will you be a "true and holy survivor?" hehe. Or will you run crying to mommy or daddy, when you're supposed to be the generation that adapts and overcomes obstacles? And mommy and daddy only know the old ways, which are clearly cracked and broken from centuries of resisting change and believing in permanence. BECAUSE RADICAL SEA-CHANGE DIDN'T HAPPEN WITHIN ONE GENERATION, LET ALONE WITHIN ONE CENTURY, UNTIL VERY RECENTLY.

That's at least what I mean when I say, "We ARE CHANGE. We ARE evolution."

We have always been so, of course. But NOW is the first time in recorded history that the rate of that change is fast-approaching its rational limit. It has become SO VERY CLEARLY VISIBLE.

And yet nobody sees a fucking thing, except the lives of other people.

And there's a voice in my head, who calls himself the Beast, who urges me to say "fuck 'em - they're lost. Kill 'em all, if you have to." [{See: there's some symbolism - I've just encoded an association to Aleister Crowley's Book of the Law. But that doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean that I subscribe to a word of his or his followers' belief systems. Nor does it even mean that there's a voice in my head, self-named the Beast, which there isn't. Yet somehow that's an apt description for what this post is all about. Why I'm taking the time to commit characters to flashing screen. Maybe it will help someone, almost there, to look in another direction, finally.

For, throughout the history of the Universe, evolution has never been without struggle, loss, obstacles, et cetera.

When Aenima came out, people were in need of someone to say, "think for yourself. question authority." and "i think drugs have done some good things, i really do..." They explored that line of inquiry, and showed us Lateralus. I saw it as a move from a "personal Christian God" to a more "Universe as God." But again, that's what I saw in the "mirror" of my own reflection, as it were. My version of events. What happened to me when I heard the album.

Now, people are in need of someone to say, "shouldn't have to say it all again... the universe is hostile, so impersonal. devour to survive so it is, so it's always been..." with such paradox and hidden depth. Showing us that when we base our lives on what's quite literally transmitted and projected into our skulls, then that's exactly the world-as-it-is-for-us - hostile, impersonal, fearsome, and permanent (unchanging).

Please, someone, get it. So I don't have to laugh alone.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #254
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
LMAO...no kiddin. All the kids sitting there like, yeah man, let's trip balls and listen to Tool because it's cool. Or let's smoke pot while listening to The Pot..hehehe. All the while Tool's scoffing at you retards for going about life and experimenting the way that you are with no frame of reference. It's simply getting high to do so, nothing better to do. I'm not saying they or I myself for that matter are completely against drugs, hell I've had my days but, I also used my head about it. It wasn't getting fucked up just to do it. That's exactly what Rosetta Stoned is about, the guy fucking completely overdoes it and then he forgets the most important fundamental thing he could have. I think it's a little cryptic in basically saying, lay the fuck off the drugs kids, do something more production with your time, and if you do stop to experiment, don't OVER do it and at least make it a learning experience. The guy in Rosetta Stoned just got so fucked up he lost track of what he could've gained from the experience. Which is what I think Maynard's talking about when he mentions the message of hope for those who choose to hear it or a warning for those who do not. In the song it was the secret of life but in reality, it's DON'T forget to be responsible about what you are doing or you'll bypass everything that was important about this experience in the first place.
EXACTLY! Thank you.

I didn't know this about him until I saw APC recently, and saw his attitude towards "hippies" and "happy meals" - "I know the world's got problems. I've got problems of my own. Ain't the kind that can be solved with a [happy meal.]" Basically, not a big fan of the "stoners" and the "happy meal" culture that goes along with it, I'd guess..

IMHO, at its most fundamental level, there is a clear message in this album. There is a clear progression from Aenima to Lateralus to 10,000 Days - namely, that each album follows the SPIRIT OF THE TIMES, as it were.

If you can't hear the message without trying to rationalize the lyrics, then you're lost already.

There are layers of depth to the songs and the lyrics that would be impossible to "accurately" describe, even for MJK I'm sure. I will share here (and probably continue to share.. i can't seem to help it) some of the layers of meaning I heard, however. I hope it's helpful, for the one or two that hear.

First, here's one example, not from this song, but I read something in this thread about his mother. And of course, "clearly everything MJK does is about his mother," thank you Dr. Freud.

Well, yes. But, I gather from the Puscifer website that if anything's about his mother, then it's also about MJK's own sub-/unconscious ANIMA. So for example, Wings for Marie, seemingly about his mother, and his desire to see her at peace, in "heaven" - could equally well be about his own SPIRIT. The part of himself which looks inward, and desires freedom "wings."

That could be equally well be my own projection - what I want to believe about the lyrics, and about Maynard, and about life. But at least I started with the way the song made me feel. The song made me feel like I was singing about myself - telling myself, "should you see your maker's face tonight, tell him.. never told a lie, well, might have told a lie, but never lived one..." etc. That is, a part of me (ME) speaking reverentially to another part of me - a hidden, unconscious, mysterious, paradoxical part (in this case ANIMA, specifically), which includes mother, and sister, and every girl ever met, seen, or imagined... and the Idea of femininity, and my own feminine side or nature, the part of me that is receptive, warm... etc..

And at the very self-same time it made me feel like I was singing about my dead mother, who, "never took a life, but surely saved one..." as I'm sure it made many people feel toward their own loved ones who don't live here anymore, and who they wish would be in some "heaven" somewhere, at peace, free to fly where they will, etc...

I believe both are true, and so much, much more.

Another topic, this time a lyric, off the top of my head: "liar, lawyer, mirror, show me what's the difference?" One sees in the mirror, not the true version of oneself, but the "rainbows and sunshine" version of oneself - not just the PERSONA; but anyone who doesn't hate themselves and long for death, sees a version of themselves in the mirror which is FALSE (i.e. one-sided). Which means that all the NEGATIVE aspects of one's personality must be PROJECTED onto someone/something else. In other words, the pot calling the kettle black. It's simple psychology.

Thus the liar, the lawyer, and the mirror, all show us people finding a way to believe their own version of reality, and convince others it's right, or true, or better, or *smack* the ONLY.

But again, just to prove a point, in this line he is equally asking something like, "mirror mirror on the wall, show me the difference between lies and justice in this country."

That's just the way poetry is. It is straight-forward. It appears "spontaneously" from the UNCONSCIOUS. And therefore its meaning is also on that level - SYMBOLIC, PARADOXICAL, etc.

+ + +

So without further ado, this is I believe the general message/warning of this album:

CHANGE IS COMING.

if you have to stop smoking the pot, and stop watching the TV, in order to wake up and pay attention to the fact that CHANGE IS EVERYWHERE. CHANGE IS ALL AROUND US..... and WE ARE THOSE CHANGES. Then so be it.

I believe almost everything Maynard says is half-in-jest. It's why I love his music so. Shit, why do you think he has a vineyard in Arizona? Prime location, not too close to the beach..

And what are all you potheads who can't even cook without a microwave gonna do, "when the shit hits the fan, my child.." will you be a "true and holy survivor?" hehe. Or will you run crying to mommy or daddy, when you're supposed to be the generation that adapts and overcomes obstacles? And mommy and daddy only know the old ways, which are clearly cracked and broken from centuries of resisting change and believing in permanence. BECAUSE RADICAL SEA-CHANGE DIDN'T HAPPEN WITHIN ONE GENERATION, LET ALONE WITHIN ONE CENTURY, UNTIL VERY RECENTLY.

That's at least what I mean when I say, "We ARE CHANGE. We ARE evolution."

We have always been so, of course. But NOW is the first time in recorded history that the rate of that change is fast-approaching its rational limit. It has become SO VERY CLEARLY VISIBLE.

And yet nobody sees a fucking thing, except the lives of other people.

And there's a voice in my head, who calls himself the Beast, who urges me to say "fuck 'em - they're lost. Kill 'em all, if you have to." [{See: there's some symbolism - I've just encoded an association to Aleister Crowley's Book of the Law. But that doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean that I subscribe to a word of his or his followers' belief systems. Nor does it even mean that there's a voice in my head, self-named the Beast, which there isn't. Yet somehow that's an apt description for what this post is all about. Why I'm taking the time to commit characters to flashing screen. Maybe it will help someone, almost there, to look in another direction, finally.

For, throughout the history of the Universe, evolution has never been without struggle, loss, obstacles, et cetera.

When Aenima came out, people were in need of someone to say, "think for yourself. question authority." and "i think drugs have done some good things, i really do..." They explored that line of inquiry, and showed us Lateralus. I saw it as a move from a "personal Christian God" to a more "Universe as God." But again, that's what I saw in the "mirror" of my own reflection, as it were. My version of events. What happened to me when I heard the album.

Now, people are in need of someone to say, "shouldn't have to say it all again... the universe is hostile, so impersonal. devour to survive so it is, so it's always been..." with such paradox and hidden depth. Showing us that when we base our lives on what's quite literally transmitted and projected into our skulls, then that's exactly the world-as-it-is-for-us - hostile, impersonal, fearsome, and permanent (unchanging).

Please, someone, get it. So I don't have to laugh alone.
joegiles
02-23-2018, 05:22 AM

I know there are so many more, but the songs will get you in the mood to smoke and chill anytime.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #255
Level 2 - Poster

I know there are so many more, but the songs will get you in the mood to smoke and chill anytime.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply