Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
View Poll Results: Now, what's it gonna be?
The Pot video 11 23.91%
New studio album 11 23.91%
Long expected live-DVD 7 15.22%
Salival part 2 1 2.17%
Oh no Maynard, not another Puscifer remix! 16 34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
07-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
i have the impression you do not completely agree- i say, i would like to see a movie, so do you...so, you would like a 10,000days film? and you would not want to see a movie out of old stuff? do you know what you mean at all? not very coherent...;)
A while back I actually wrote an outline for a screenplay based directly on the Lateralus film...I think of all their albums that one would work best because it has the most relation to an actual plot. I'm not exactly sure what they would do for a 10,000 Days film since there isn't much of a common story running throughout. Sure I would like to see a film made out of their older stuff, since I'm sure whatever they'd come up with is more extravagant than I can even imagine, but really...a full on brand new made-for-film audiovisual experience would be 100x cooler.

I hope you get what I mean. Using old music for a film = cool; making a completely new experience = FUCK YEAH.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #41
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
Re: Upcoming release?

Quote:
i have the impression you do not completely agree- i say, i would like to see a movie, so do you...so, you would like a 10,000days film? and you would not want to see a movie out of old stuff? do you know what you mean at all? not very coherent...;)
A while back I actually wrote an outline for a screenplay based directly on the Lateralus film...I think of all their albums that one would work best because it has the most relation to an actual plot. I'm not exactly sure what they would do for a 10,000 Days film since there isn't much of a common story running throughout. Sure I would like to see a film made out of their older stuff, since I'm sure whatever they'd come up with is more extravagant than I can even imagine, but really...a full on brand new made-for-film audiovisual experience would be 100x cooler.

I hope you get what I mean. Using old music for a film = cool; making a completely new experience = FUCK YEAH.
07-26-2009, 11:25 AM

absolutely agree!
but thats what I meant with old stuff- they could arrange it in a way that it becomes a plot (i thought a bit about that viewing the recent playlists...i begin to think more and more that tool is an experimental band but that they follow certain themes...all very hard to describe)...anyway- i agree: anything they do will be brilliant...they keep me fascinated...
Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

absolutely agree!
but thats what I meant with old stuff- they could arrange it in a way that it becomes a plot (i thought a bit about that viewing the recent playlists...i begin to think more and more that tool is an experimental band but that they follow certain themes...all very hard to describe)...anyway- i agree: anything they do will be brilliant...they keep me fascinated...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
anyway- i agree: anything they do will be brilliant...
Hmmmmmm.........
Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #43
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
anyway- i agree: anything they do will be brilliant...
Hmmmmmm.........
07-26-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Hmmmmmm.........
okok- maybe not brilliant but of a certain quality...and my alcohol-ridden soul begins to discover my thought behind the "old material"-movie: there aren`t video/ visual material to such greatgreat songs as 46&2, pushit, thirdey, lateralus, drt, jambi and the list goes on...THATS why i thought about a movie consisting of older stuff...but i guess we`ll have to wait, what comes next...
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Hmmmmmm.........
okok- maybe not brilliant but of a certain quality...and my alcohol-ridden soul begins to discover my thought behind the "old material"-movie: there aren`t video/ visual material to such greatgreat songs as 46&2, pushit, thirdey, lateralus, drt, jambi and the list goes on...THATS why i thought about a movie consisting of older stuff...but i guess we`ll have to wait, what comes next...
Yast3r's Avatar Yast3r
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM

I just hope the next video steps it up from where they were with Vicarious. What a steaming pile of shit that was. Parabola and Schism had cool videos, but Vicarious was a whole new level of horrible.

If the rumored 'Pot' video is next, I can't imagine how uninspired that video would be. For my sake, and for the bands integrity, I sure hope your guys wishes come true and we get a mini-movie thing.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #45
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

I just hope the next video steps it up from where they were with Vicarious. What a steaming pile of shit that was. Parabola and Schism had cool videos, but Vicarious was a whole new level of horrible.

If the rumored 'Pot' video is next, I can't imagine how uninspired that video would be. For my sake, and for the bands integrity, I sure hope your guys wishes come true and we get a mini-movie thing.
Master_Of_Nothing
07-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Hey hey hey, I liked Vicarious. It seemed like a more apocalyptic version of the end of the Parabola vid
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #46
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

Hey hey hey, I liked Vicarious. It seemed like a more apocalyptic version of the end of the Parabola vid
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
07-26-2009, 09:25 PM

I liked Vicarious a lot. I think Schism and Parabola were better, but Vicarious was epic and somewhat different for a music video. More like a short film set to music. What I like most is the more you pay attention to it, the more you reveal and the more you find to appreciate.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #47
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

I liked Vicarious a lot. I think Schism and Parabola were better, but Vicarious was epic and somewhat different for a music video. More like a short film set to music. What I like most is the more you pay attention to it, the more you reveal and the more you find to appreciate.
07-26-2009, 10:19 PM

I prefer Parabola, just out of the sheer load of symbolism and raft of interpretations
Old 07-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #48
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

I prefer Parabola, just out of the sheer load of symbolism and raft of interpretations
dancingflame
07-27-2009, 02:33 AM

i like every tool-video...and for vicarious: i like the mix of both artists- grey and jones aaaaaand its a great achievement to introduce greys art into the animated artform- just one grey-picture has so many layers and details and comes out of so many directions that just one scene from the video does the same- who says the video is not good and uninspired doesn`t seem to have a motivation to understand it- which is good- not everyone has eyes to see and ears to hear- makes me glad, personally, to be not that superficial and sad on the other hand that nobody seems to get the message without digging deeper...but thats tool- if you don`t like it, go find something else :D
edit: on the other hand i get the point that stylistically it falls out of the frame- and its another question if adam should mix his style with another ones- but he probably thinks it`d be good and so he does it- and thats what tools about...i really liked that step...though i also hope that the next video is going to be either more badass apocalyptic three-dimensional animated or the grey blue stop-motion we learnt to love from tool (btw: hast anyone ever seen a movie by the brothers quay?- tool-videos seem way more less inventive as you watched those)...anyway...anyhting they`ll release is going to be good or brilliant- "horrible" is an adjective that never came to my mind when thinking about the quality of a tool-output...

Last edited by dancingflame; 07-27-2009 at 02:39 AM..
Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 AM   #49
Level 7 - Loquacious

i like every tool-video...and for vicarious: i like the mix of both artists- grey and jones aaaaaand its a great achievement to introduce greys art into the animated artform- just one grey-picture has so many layers and details and comes out of so many directions that just one scene from the video does the same- who says the video is not good and uninspired doesn`t seem to have a motivation to understand it- which is good- not everyone has eyes to see and ears to hear- makes me glad, personally, to be not that superficial and sad on the other hand that nobody seems to get the message without digging deeper...but thats tool- if you don`t like it, go find something else :D
edit: on the other hand i get the point that stylistically it falls out of the frame- and its another question if adam should mix his style with another ones- but he probably thinks it`d be good and so he does it- and thats what tools about...i really liked that step...though i also hope that the next video is going to be either more badass apocalyptic three-dimensional animated or the grey blue stop-motion we learnt to love from tool (btw: hast anyone ever seen a movie by the brothers quay?- tool-videos seem way more less inventive as you watched those)...anyway...anyhting they`ll release is going to be good or brilliant- "horrible" is an adjective that never came to my mind when thinking about the quality of a tool-output...

Last edited by dancingflame; 07-27-2009 at 02:39 AM..
Yast3r's Avatar Yast3r
07-27-2009, 12:27 PM

I am sure there is some subtleties and content hidden within Vicarious--but for the most part, nothing stood out to me. It was not very interesting visually (until the 3D 'Net of Being') and seemed extremely drawn on and repetitive.

I felt that there was some sort of a premise behind the video, but they were running short on time so they sort of just said "How about we cut the ambitious parts out and well give them 4 minutes of 'X' staring into the sun!".

Parabola's video was a masterpiece, I just wish that I could watch it without laughing at how bad the 'evil grapes' look.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #50
Level 10 - Vehement

I am sure there is some subtleties and content hidden within Vicarious--but for the most part, nothing stood out to me. It was not very interesting visually (until the 3D 'Net of Being') and seemed extremely drawn on and repetitive.

I felt that there was some sort of a premise behind the video, but they were running short on time so they sort of just said "How about we cut the ambitious parts out and well give them 4 minutes of 'X' staring into the sun!".

Parabola's video was a masterpiece, I just wish that I could watch it without laughing at how bad the 'evil grapes' look.
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
It was not very interesting visually (until the 3D 'Net of Being')
Now that was the part that i found somewhat disappointing. I expected this to be a little more detailed.

Quote:
and repetitive.
lol.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #51
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
It was not very interesting visually (until the 3D 'Net of Being')
Now that was the part that i found somewhat disappointing. I expected this to be a little more detailed.

Quote:
and repetitive.
lol.
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:

You should try watching that video tripping....makes one hell of a difference. Even just the main title screen has these very subtle changes in the ground and sky that you don't notice sober but you can totally see when tripping. I sat there and stared at that shit for what had to be like at least 30minutes.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #52
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

You should try watching that video tripping....makes one hell of a difference. Even just the main title screen has these very subtle changes in the ground and sky that you don't notice sober but you can totally see when tripping. I sat there and stared at that shit for what had to be like at least 30minutes.
07-27-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
That's my downfall for sure.

I think the main focus on the next Tool DVD would have to be menu navigation. I hate large colored squares and I hate pixelated glowing things. They should put some more effort in the menu system so it doesn't seem like a high school com-tech assignment thrown together by a student.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #53
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
That's my downfall for sure.

I think the main focus on the next Tool DVD would have to be menu navigation. I hate large colored squares and I hate pixelated glowing things. They should put some more effort in the menu system so it doesn't seem like a high school com-tech assignment thrown together by a student.
dancingflame
07-28-2009, 04:41 AM

the menu is simply great! and yes! watch it while tripping!
although i looooove the vicariousd-dvd i also speculate that they ran out of money/time...(to songs from tdsotm hmmm...anyway)...net of being looks like an old computergame but VERY nice- i`d love to see the video on big screens live...i MUST see them live but i live in europe and i don`t know when will be the next chance...

Last edited by dancingflame; 07-28-2009 at 05:02 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

the menu is simply great! and yes! watch it while tripping!
although i looooove the vicariousd-dvd i also speculate that they ran out of money/time...(to songs from tdsotm hmmm...anyway)...net of being looks like an old computergame but VERY nice- i`d love to see the video on big screens live...i MUST see them live but i live in europe and i don`t know when will be the next chance...

Last edited by dancingflame; 07-28-2009 at 05:02 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply