opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Sober
User Name
Password
Old 12-06-2002, 01:59 PM   #1
X

Bincount™: 746
Where?

I want to start a thread dedicated to where the events in the video Sober take place. Wherever it is, I think that the main character is trapped there. I think he is looking for something to get him out and to break his sobriety.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 2930
Re: Where?

Yes.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:14 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 158

He is traped inside this world of hate and fear and longs to be oblivious to it all
Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Let me start by saying the sober video disturbed me enough to avoid tool music for years ("that guy's crazy!"). I wanted the little man to go back to his nice bed and lay back down and stay there in the nice safe quiet dammit.

I don't see him trapped at the end and I don't see him longing to be oblivious. He seems more trapped at the beginning. Then he is reaching, searching, finding. I see him grasping FOR the sobriety. He doesn't find anything pretty that i could see but doesn't he seem enlivened by his search? Good for him.

Can't tell if he's trapped at the end, i'll have to watch it again. If he is trapped, at least he knows it. Is he trapped at the end?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 1

Traped? no.. he doesn't want freedom.. He just wants the next box... He is traped only from our perspective , the viewers.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

[QUOTE=creator;495367]Traped? no.. he doesn't want freedom.. He just wants the next box... He is traped only from our perspective , the viewers.[/QUOTE]

I agree I dont think he's traped, more like he's a drug addict that doesn't want to leave. He most definitetly wants another box. A box filled with heroin. Also think he isnt a man but a man's conscious.

From what I got from watching the video is that he's a heroin addict, which explains him falling back and he's face melting after floating in the air. Seems like someone felt euphoric after shooting and nodding out from it. Other clues that seem to point to heroin abuse is the figure incased with nails(syringes) hammered through out its body and face. I think when the man opened the case he saw himself, a reflection. Could also mean he was reflecting and making sense of what he has become. The nails sympolize needles and how they've distroyed he's physical appaerance. Also holes are apparent though out the floors and walls of this place. They seem to me to represent track marks he's inflicted.

Some other things that point to heroin abuse are the pipes running through out the house. These pipes sympolize the veins a circulatory system that the structure houses. Which leads me to believe the house isnt just a house but a living thing. Maybe symbolicatly the physical body of the man which shows all the signs of heroin abuse. Like the pale walls with cracked paint could me the inner organ walls of the man that are being destroyed. When the man leaves the room most of the halls ways are dark and there's a few closed doors. The dark hall ways could be he's loss of memory from nodding out the closed doors could be he's skeletons or dark secrets. Theres a scene where the man removes a piece of piping from the pipe and reveals some kind of organ slowly flowing through. This to me was like a clogged arterie a sign of disease brought upon by heroin abuse. Because after he saw what was inside the pipe he went nuts and spasmed and went back to his room. This time the man looked like he was going into the box when the video was ending. This to me is like him going in deeper into darkness losing himself in he's addiction.

Death
As a dark shadow
Beckons he's prey
Into the unknown
By a soft whisper
In the soul

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: