opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Prison Sex
User Name
Password
Old 05-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 82
Jungian Archetypes, anyone?

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that this song, deliberately or not, has some Jungian archetypes in it?

Here's my explanation using some Jungian terms:
The dark adult represents the shadow. The little boy is the ego, which is incomplete without its legs, which also symbolizes the fact that ego is incomplete without its 'inner self'. The lockers can be the unconscious mind.
The book is the memory, which the shadow somehow censors. The mask can represent the persona. The passing out of the boy can be seen as sleep and dreaming, in which shadow can take over the ego and manipulate it.

With all these in mind, to me this video also somehow shows the personal struggle of going through the process of individuation and becoming a unity. I also think that this video shows a failure of such an attempt.

That's only some thought I had over this video. Of course I found other interpretations quite interesting too.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
frat boy extraordinaire

Bincount™: 6242
Re: Jungian Archetypes, anyone?

that is a very good way to look at it after that fact, the band did not fully use Jung's theories until after undertow. but you have a point.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 82
Re: Jungian Archetypes, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnist
that is a very good way to look at it after that fact, the band did not fully use Jung's theories until after undertow. but you have a point.
Well, I'm beginning to suspect that it was Adam who brought Jungian ideas to Tool.
Because, you can see some Jungian ideas in the video of Sober and a lot of references to Jung (at least in my opinion) in the video of Prison Sex, but you don't hear anything about them in the lyrics.

Any idea on that?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: