opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima
User Name
Password
Old 11-28-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 5
All time favorite tool songs

I thought it would be interesting to hear everyones top five favorite tool songs and why. THe reason for this is b/c it is interesting...most bands fans will all pretty much agree on the best songs of that band. But for Tool it's ALWAYS different...i've never met a person with the exact same top five as myself. Anyways heres my top five.

1. Stinkfist- The bridge (middle part) is beyond words. Just listen.

2. Jerk-Off- It's only wrong if you get caught. One of my favorite Tool Lyrics of all time.

3. Aenima- It's got a very angry feel too it and Maynards voice is nothing short of sheer beauty on this one.

4. The Grudge- The tribal drum beats, the 20 second yell, the message. Another masterpeice. What a great way to start the album Lateralus.

5. Prison Sex- The intro guitar riff is awesome. The lyrics are great because they are so personal.

I'd like to see everyones top five tool songs.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 03:42 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
my top 5

(5)Disgustipated: An epic that only hints at the creative genious and tongue in cheek humour that this band would soon show us.

(4) Prison Sex: A brutal tale of abuse as only Maynard can tell, with one of the best videos I've ever seen to boot.

(3) Reflection: I never view DiRT as a whole piece, particularly because I find Triad to be tiresome. This is my favourite Lateralus piece, with Maynard adressing his own shortcomings in a way too deep for most people to try.

(2) Eulogy: A song that definatly grew on me, and has never ceased to amaze. Contains a lot of moments that make me want to bang my head regardless of where I am, particularly "you claimed all this time that you would die for me..."

(1) (-)ions: There's just no way of describing how this song feels on my headphones. It drowns out every negative thought and puts me in a state of total relaxation. To give you an idea, think of the first time you heard your favourite song, and how much you wanted to just absorb it over and over. Eventually, the "first time" feeling melts away, at least for me. Not with this. Every single time the affect is undescribable. Isn't that what we're all looking for in our music?
Old 11-28-2002, 05:21 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

1. H.: this is the first song that i ever felt a true emotional connection with. i cried my eyes out when they played it at the chicago show in august. "i am too connected to you, slip away, fade away. days aaway i still feel you touching me, changing me. and considerately killing me."
2. Stinkfist: the song that got me listening to tool. when i first heard it on the rdaio, i went absolutely mad with the need to listen to it over and over and over again. i still often get that feeling when i'm on the bus on the way to school with my headphones on. "knuckle-deep inside a borderline. this may hurt a little, but it's something you're getting used to. relax, slip away."
3. Reflection: a beautiful, moving epic. the vocals kill me. and that's all i can say. "i may find peace within the emptiness. how pitiful."
4. Lateralus: my god. what an amzing song. makes me want to sing, dance, cry, write, think, and believe. "we'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been."
5. Prison Sex: incredible vocals, a dark video. touches me deeply, though i have never known, nor hope to know, such pain in my life. "my lamb and martyr, this will be over soon. you look so precious."
Old 11-28-2002, 06:14 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: All time favorite tool songs

This is an incrediblly hard task hmmm.It seems to me that each week I have a different top 5 but maybe there is top 5 alltime favourites( or maybe it should be top 10...consider that:)
5. Eulogy- pain and elation, peace and anger...and that goodbuy at the end....
4. Disposition- this is just a wonderful piece of music, plus you Maynard's vocals-really makes me float, soothes me, calms me down and makes me ready for the change
3. Lateralus-As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn outside the lines of reason....no other comment necessary
2. Sober- i don't wanna be sober...and i know i know why
1. Pushit (live)- just cannot describe what a feeling this song gives in me...it grows, and grows and sometimes i feel like I can't bear it all, it draws out of me a universe of feelings , this is like a reaching a soul climax, finding the real Me.
And then...i'm on the other side, where I'm vulnerable, but comfortbale, because i know noone will hurt me.

That was hard thing to do....excuse my english:)
Old 11-28-2002, 08:36 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"hey dude! did you notice the texas-oklahoma border is fucked up in the 'ænima' case?"

"whoa... you know, i think it might deal with how tool views society... maybe they think too many people live in texas and they want them to further better their perception."

"***."
Old 11-29-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
My top 5....

5) Lateralus- This song is 9 minutes of power. I love the message this song sends, that humans should push the envelope and discover new things that we've never seen or been to before. I like the opening of the song and the breakdown in the middle. This song got my friend into Tool as well.

4) Flood- Powerfully hard is what this song is. The 4:30 instrumental in the beginning always gets me up, and then the bass that follows, just pure emotion. This is a dark song, which is part of why I like it. This song ends with powerful lines..."Ground brakes down right under me, cleanse and purge me in the water". It's so good that it's my screen name :)

3) Pushit (Aenima version) - I like the original version, because nothing beats the original. The "slipping back into the gap again" part sounds better on the original, and I prefer the long guitar part in the middle of the song over the live version. The live is more soothing, but when I hear the studio one, my whole body starts to move.

2) Stinkfist- Seems like everyone has this song in their top 5. Who wouldn't? Accompanied with an awesome video, this song rocks the hell out of me. I love the double meaning behind this song, and to "newbie" Tool fans, they think that this song is about ass-fisting. The parts during and after the bridge have to be the most rockin' part of the whole Aenima CD.

1) Reflection - This song takes me to a freaking other planet. Is there any better song for lying in bed in the middle of the night? This is so soothing and relaxing. Maynard's voice is at its best during this song...DAMN it's so fucking soothing. The repeated beat at the beginning relaxes me, then Maynard finishes it off. I get the most chills during the part when he sings "before we pine away" at the end of the song. Masterpiece.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Location: Somehwere between the armpit of New York and the Crotch of Philadelphia
Bincount™: 26
Ok, top 5 in no particular order:

--Parabo(a)--I have to include them both here as one, well, because there's no way to really listen to one and not the other. Besides being so soothing it isat the same time disturbing...and the last minute is just an incrdible way to end a song...From beginning to end, it's like following someone from birth to death.

--Prison Sex--I'm sure a lot of people have this one, but for me it's all because of "I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this" Now, I leave off the shit, blood and cum because that part is in there for shock value. If you're in any situation long enough, eventually, it will become normal to you. It doesn't have to be necessarily anal rape.

--H.--Whether it's about his Devo, heroine, or whatever you might think it's about, there is no way to deny the sheer emotion and heart in this song. Just listen to him scream "I don't mind."

--Ænema--Well, as someone who hates the fake bullshit that is pumped out by the so called "in" crowd and all the silly trends and marketing tools they use, I have to laugh every time I think of all those empty souls sliding off into the Pacific.

--Eulogy--I grew up in a Catholic family and I was a Catholic until (as George Carlin puts it) "I reached the age of reason." I have nothing against religion per se or those who believe in said religions, just don't push it on me and stay out of my wallet.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

wow this is one of the hardest threads to answer ... so hard to try and respond. It;s like someone asking me to pick my 5 favorite Floyd albums. O well here goes nothing.

5) Forty-Six & 2
I love the incredible lyrics that accompany the music. The drum part is absolutely amazing as well. I just like how the song seems to have a great flow.

4) Lateralus
This song is great to hear live and is intensely powerful. I absolutely hate how radio stations cut out a hige chunk of the song. It doesn't do it justice.

3) Prison Sex
This was the 2nd Tool song that I heard and the first real one (I don't count Dsigustipated since that was just someone trying to show me how funny it was). The opening part where the string-like sounds that come from the guitar is so cool sounding. The lyrics are very hard and provoking, but I like the song and the 'apparent message' that is behind as I see it. Just as in Pushit, I really love the "I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this". I think we are all looking for that peace of mind, though for some it is found in deep and dark places

2) DRT
I'll count this as one song, since I guess that's how it was originally intended. Disposition must be the most mellow song I have ever heard. I couldn't believe that Tool had made it when I first heard it, but I guess that was my fault for limiting what music Tool could make. I played Reflection over and over when I had the album. I still can't get over the progression of the song and how it sounds so mystic to me. I'll never hear the word 'Pine' and be able to not think of that song. And Triad is one of the coolest instrumental pieces that I have ever heard.

1) Third Eye
Think for yourself, question authority. Today younf men on acid realize that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all of one consciousness ... etc... This song is so cool. The part where Maynard goes from a soft poetic voice into the courus is the hardest and best transition ever. Best lyrics in a Tool song too .... awesomeness in every way
Old 11-29-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Oh god. Here goes...

1. Aenema. Has so much power and energy, not to mention the great guitar playing, and beautiful chorus. This is just a perfect song.

2. 4 Degrees. This was a hard choice, but I find it impossible not to love this one. The guitar riff during the chorus gives me chills. The build up into the chorus around 2:50 is beyond words.

3. Jerk-Off. Hard to argue with the lyrics "It's only wrong if you get caught" and "I should play god and just shoot you myself". Combine that with one of Tool's coolest guitar riffs and a great climax, and you have yourself a pretty good song.

4. Sober. The instant classic. Some of Mayanrd's best vocals. Another song with a great build up before the chorus, and a very good overall song.

5. Pushit (Aenema version). I never cared much for the Salival version, and the Aenema one is a powerful and consuming epic. The ending (Remeber i'll always love you when I blow your fucking throat away) is one of the greatest moments in Tool history.

The fact taht I had to leave out songs like Prison Sex, Lateralus, The Patient, Undertow, Reflection and H, kills me.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:09 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

hmm...

hmm...

5: Hooker with a Penis -- I guess I like it because it's so honest and it's just another example of thinking for yourself and having your own oppinions.

4: Lateralus -- Mosly the lyrics and the lyrics. I mean, the time measurement fits perfectly, but it's still complicated as all hell. It's unbeleivable how Danny can manage it. As for the lyrics, theyre really simple, but I'd be willing to be the average person couldnt even understand them. Just awesome.

3: Third Eye -- This is obviouse. I really like the end with the "prying" line over and aover.

2: Pushit -- The raw emotion. this is probably the one song I can get deepest into. It's amazing.

1: Disposition -- Probably the most relaxing song I've ever heard.. you can just sit back and have full concentration on it.. its good with rain. Oh hey by the way I might post a little made up music video for it here soon. I do that a lot...
Old 12-01-2002, 09:55 AM   #11
the beholder (tdn $upporter)

yes, this is definitely a VERY hard task...it seems like eventually I got where I wanted to post my twenty favorite songs! Anyways,

1) H. This was the first song that really brought me to Tool (Aenima was my first Tool cd...I know....for shame). It can still bring me almost to tears, depending on my mood

2) Pushit (live) I don't think words can express the connection I feel with this entire song, and this connection continues to build and get stronger

3) Triad While some people don't find this song very engaging, I get a very primal feeling deep down inside when I listen to Triad. It's so raw and powerful.

4) Flood Hot damn, what a powerful song. The beginning is very spellbinding, and then when Paul begins his bass riff, I find myself in a very energetic mood, ready to experience the flood that washes over me every time I listen to this song.

5) Lateralus I might not have put this song in my top 5 (whatever that's good for) except that I have experienced this song in the concert setting, and I will always remember the first time I "felt it move across my skin". I wish that feeling would stay with me forever, but I get a dose of it whenever I listen to this song.

Of course, I must mention the runner-ups: Third Eye (RIP Bill Hicks and Tim Leary), Reflection (this song has taken me quite far, and also very deep), The Grudge (anybody who has played this song on guitar/bass/drums will understand), and Merkaba (what an underrated song!) laters
Old 12-01-2002, 11:37 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

(5) Opiate... Never trust an agent

(4) The Grudge... So powerful, so intense, yet at the same time, beautiful

(3) H... I don't mind; do you?

(2) Stinkfist (extended)... The bridge gives me chills every time... As the first song on AEnima, a great preperation for the voyage ahead

(1) Third Eye... First song I've ever truly FELT
Old 12-02-2002, 07:44 AM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862
Let see...
5)Swamp Song- Oh man... I love this song. I really don't know why, but that chorus just gets me everytime. Every single time I hear Maynard say "You're a stupid, belligerant fucker", I bust out laughing... That song puts me in the best of moods.

4)You Lied (Live) - This technically is a Peach song, but Tool's remake was GREAT! Everytime I hear the song, I think to myself- "Tool is the only band that doesn't seem like they are in a rush to finish the song." This song is great.

3) Pushit- Live or not... This song is unblieveable... The end sends chills through my spine every time I hear it. The lyrics, the power, the drums, everythin about it is just BEYOND belief.

2) Lateralus - I tabbed this ENTIRE song, I loved it so much. Its definitely one of the most thought out Tool songs. The whole "987" deal in the chorus is pretty awesome alone. This song just truly shows Tool's artistic and musical genius. From the soft, melodic opening, to the heavy, hard hitting finale, this song never ceases to amaze me.

1) Reflection - Whoa. I can't even think to say anything about it... Just thinking of the song puts me in this entirely different state of mind...
"And we will come to find.. that we are all one mind... capable of all thats imagined and all concievable."

Oh, but see.. the thing is.. there isn't ONE Tool song that I truly dislike... The only one that I really feel isn't up to par with their other stuff is "Crawl Away", but its still great.

Tool is the greatest band of all time.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:30 AM   #14
On Probation

top 6

lateralus
4° - (god pleading to maynard throughout the song... the vulnerabilty and emotion you can FEEL in "his" voice.)
the patient
schism
forty-six and two
jimmy

favorite cd.... well, undertow, aenima and lateralus have all been my top choice at one point in the not so distant past.

lateralus is my current choice... and I don't see self deviating from that.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:58 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
No particular order..

Opiate - really changed my view on religion.. started questioning everything.

46 & 2 - so complex!! Beautiful too.

Third Eye - love it.. it just sounds great and I like the lyrics in it too

Stinkfist - yeah everyone loves this song.. lyrics nice.. so is his voice in this one

4° - BEST LYRICS!! Greatest sounding.. I need to open up!
Old 12-07-2002, 12:36 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
it's so hard, okay here i go.

5) third eye- it just goes and goes it's great.
4)Prison sex- no explaination needed
3)reflection- i love everything about it.

2) aenima- the line-some say a comet will fall from the sky, followed by metor showers and tidal waves followed by fog lines that cannot sit still, followed by millions of dumb founded dip-shits.- is always in my head.

1) eulogy- the first tool song i learned to play and still i love it from the bass wha intro to the line"you claimed all this time that you would die for me, why then are you so surpised when you hear your own eulogy.-it's a rollercoster ride from start to finish

go banana!!
Old 12-07-2002, 02:05 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

as this is my first post on this forum, and i am relatively uneducated in tool history and general interpretations of songs and albums, I will try not to sound to stupid with my favourite 5 songs.

here goes:

Schism - sounds altogether wonderful, and has (to me) a simple and (in this day, often ignored) message - communicate. "silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of sompassion..."

H. - the mystery of what the song actually is about is what gets me, and the bass distortion at the start, and well all of it, the way "venomous voice tempts me drains me, bleeds me leaves me cracked and empty drags me down like some sweet graviteeeee-eee-eeee.." just beautiful. (listen for similar in the patient)

Aenema - after listening to Bill Hicks' take on Arizona Bay, this song is the best tribute to a person's ideas I've ever heard/experienced, lines like "fret for your..." are all so good, so very good.

Lateralis - sophistication, unpredictability and genius, all words i'd like to have people say about me, and all words i attribute to the song, when first listening to it, it is hard to feel what's going to come next, but then it literally grows on you and when you hear it you are the song...

Pushit - both versions together. the concept of looking at things for the first time after seeing it very often is one of the best things to happen to me, (along with Treebeard's advice about being hasty).
Old 12-07-2002, 10:58 AM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
I believe I read that H. is about wanting to leave someone but you can't for whatever reason, and they're killing you because of it, but not on purpose.

Something along those lines. =P
Old 12-07-2002, 03:26 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

the patient...a perfect example of adams brilliant riff mastery, have to love how the song completely switches, favorite riff is towards the middle...reminds me of the red and orange flames blazing

lateralus...9 mintutes of brilliant switches and all the different riffs kick ass more than anything ive ever heard

46 & 2...bass flanging at its very best, excellent sounds thruout the whole song

undertow...excellent flowing riffs, love the ending and the fast pace muting riff thruout the song

pushit...every second is compelely mind blowing, this song brings out so many emotions in its entirety
Old 12-07-2002, 08:46 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

My 5 Favorite

My 5 favorite Tool songs, in order:

Third Eye

Lateralus

Dispostion/Reflection, this must be count as a whole.

The Grudge

Ænema

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Opiate or Undertow can in no way compare to Ænima or Lateralus, and Ænima can in no way compare to Lateralus.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:45 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

1) Forty Six and 2. Evolution of man is a huge philisophical boiling pot and this song expresses a lot of emotion and explains the idea that to take the next step in our evolution we have to be able to accept our path.
2)Flood. Gutted to have not gone to the Christchurch, NZ concert where they opened with this song. Lachrymology/Cleansing is a big deal to me.
3)Reflection. Just close your eyes and drift with this song. Look inside yourself.
4)Intolerance/The Grudge. 2 songs i know, but both dealing with how much shit you're really willing to take before you flip out.
5)Lateralus. For more musical reasons than depth of thought, I just love the odd timing of the entire song, especially Dannys drumming.

Anyone else on the board from New Zealand?
Old 12-14-2002, 02:10 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

5. Stinkfist- this song basically introduced me into the world that is Tool. The lyrics and the incredible guitars and drums all make an amazing song

4. Disposition-this song so beautiful. It shows the calmer, more subtle side of Tool and the soft bass line gives me shivers everytime I hear it

3. Lateralus- This is the best song from Lateralus. The middle section(the one that most radio stations cut out) is my favorite because of the incredible rythmic capabilities of the band. It's soooo cool when Maynard sings "to feel the rythm, feel connected" because there are like 5 different rythms going on at the same time.

2. Pushit- Both versions are utterly amazing although I like the live Salival version a little better because of the guitar part at the beginning and the conga drums. My favorite part of the song is when Maynard calls out "I must persuade you another way!"

1. Third Eye- Hands down the best song lyrically, musically, and emotionally. It is 15 minutes of pure bliss. I think it's incredible how the Salival version sounds almost exactly the same as the Aenima version. The song is filled with so many emotions it's almost overwhelming. Adam's guitar solo at the end is stunning.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:39 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

5.Eulogy- I have no idea how to explain it, it's just the pure sarcasm put into the song I guess, and the mocking way he sings it, all along with the beautiful music. Also, as someone before me said, that goodbye at the end...
4.46 & Two- Perfect riff in the background while Maynard sings about change in such a wonderful tone.
3.Opiate- Now who can't appreciate this? I'll take sarcasm, straight up, and by god, I'll enjoy it. It's so great to hear, and it's even better to perform on stage. (Trust me)
2.Sober- AH! So much feeling and feeling and lyrics and lyrics mixed into one song. And yes, this one's even more fun to perform on stage. (And ironically I say 'Trust me')
1. Lateralus- Maybe it's just the fact that I think the way I look at this song has changed my whole outlook on life, but this for me is by far the best. The drum beat, the great riff, the lyrics, the singing, the backbone of the bass. It all melds together into this excellent song that nothing compares to.
Yes, in case you haven't figured it out, I'm a freak.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:09 AM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

top 5

i cant really say taht i have any particular favorite tool song. partly becuase of the fact that my favorties change from time to time. But right now this is what it comes out to.

(5) Jerk Off - Personally, this song is about oppression and homogenization 'punishment would come to those
who dare to cross the line'.

(4) 4 degrees - im increasingly inquised by what exactly that thing is in the first 20 seconds of the song. It could be interpreted as one about sex, but i doubt. Just 'free yourself from yourself'

(3) The Patient - what can i say? 'wait it out' has to be one of trhe most powerful songs

(2) Stinkfist - The first song i ever heard, the obsession's only grown ever since. i dont think ive ever heard anyone re - create the vocal work on this song exactly(extremely high pitched), and when the elbow crosses the borderline.. what better way to put it?

(1) Disposition - Reflection - Triad - Its hard not to treat this as one song. Maybe triad could be excluded. Reflection talks to me on so many levels, as im sure it does to most. Just 'crucify the ego'. Triad, considering it has no words, is by far the most powerful song theyve made, dont be too surprised if when listening to it, you find yourself moving.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:08 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

they're all good

these aren't in any order. i wish i could include them all...

stinkfist - the bridge is incredible, and it hits me on a deep level every time. Also, I can't get over how I hear "voices" in the music at the end, they sound like aliens or something, its just really well done. I've heard people criticize this song for its simplicity, but I think its beauty is in how much it communicates through its simplicity. this song grips you hard, and you aren't let go of until the end of the album.

flood - intense imagery. throwing everything from the past away because of a realization that its all wrong. fighting your way into the future with nothing, but this destruction is humbling, necessary, and inspiring. jesus would approve of this song.

third eye (live version is best i think) - i'll admit this song is a lot better if you've ever taken hallucinogens, but thats just because i think most people require some sort of hallucinogen to make the sort of inward journey he's talking about here. powerful song, beautiful juxtapositions, and a first step into the possibility of transcendence found in lateralus.

parabol/parabola - gotta have both. this song can be interpreted a lot of ways (of course they all can), and i don't even have one interpretation that i stick too. this song came to me at a time when i was beginning to question the nature of reality, who we really are, and what it means to be living here in a physical existence. the video is great too, ultimately inspiring, and beautiful. i have felt so many times what he means when he says "we barely remember who or what came before this precious moment, we are choosing to be here, right now, hold on, stay inside, this body, this body holding me, be my reminder here that i am not alone."

triad - this song could be called ascension or transcendence. at the end of lateralus, the protagonist is ready to jump to the next level (similar to what happens at the end of undertow and aenema). this song is that jump, and i can't think of a better way to musically "describe" what it is to transcend physical existence and dive into an incredibly enormous world that exists on a level above the physical. some of you know what i mean.

on another note, i find a song like flood inextricably linked to triad, as is third eye. they all have the same basic goal, but are performed by people who are living with different experiences and understandings at the time they are made. it is obvious that tool develops many spiritual understandings between aenema and lateralus, and this is definitely so with undertow as well. the beaty of tool is that songs, even albums, are only sections of one beautiful symphony. you could put undertow, aenema, and lateralus together as one album and it would work incredibly well.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:09 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

top 5...

(5) 46&2 - nothing has ever given me the power that this song gave me when i listened to it. the last half of the song just draws out every ounce of energy in my body when i listen to it. i get tired...

(4) The Patient - this song shows a strong evolution (or just plain evidence of what was there before) of tool as a song-writing band. it has no real definable chorus/verse structure, but still has an amazingly smooth, undeniable flow that draws the listener deep into it.

(3) Sober - classic. it's energy and drive starts up from the beginning. it's a beautiful display of the raw power and art behind well-expressed simplicity.

(2) Pushit (both versions) - a beautifully written and constructed song that shows how tool can truly bring out energy from a soft breeze.

(1) Third Eye - this song is art. pure art. it's build-up's and cool-down's excercise the emotions unlike any song i've ever listened to. you can just feel yourself push along with the entire song.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:50 AM   #27
X

Bincount™: 746
So many great songs...

Well this is really a hard part of being a Tool fan. I cannot choose only 5 favorites. I will list some that i have thought about a lot and probably also listened to the most. But since this list of favorites constantly changes for me dont think that these will always be my favorites.

In no real order is:

Pushit- I dont care if its live or studio version. It is a damn sweet song. Im not one for slow songs, but this one really gets me.

Ænema- God damn this song is so good. Im pretty sure this is the song that really pulled me into the experience that is Tool. I mean there were other great songs, but this one changed me.

Jerkoff-Its good to see some emotion come through. As many others have said, I love this song because of the "its only wrong if you get caught" part.

H.- Great song that has jumped on and off of my list of favorites. I had to put it on here because it is one of the songs which i am still unsure of the message.

Oooooh this last one is really hard to choose from. forty-six and two- I have thought a lot about evolution and change and other dimensions just by hearing this song. I love it. I guess it opens up my third eye.

That was really tough to choose. Honorable mentions go to: jimmy, Opiate, Parabol/a, Third Eye, Part of me, Prison sex, Sober, Lateralus, The grudge, Intolerance, Sweat, Hush, The patient, and Hooker with a penis. So many great songs.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:53 AM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Braydon

2) aenima- the line-some say a comet will fall from the sky, followed by metor showers and tidal waves followed by fog lines that cannot sit still, followed by millions of dumb founded dip-shits.- is always in my head.
OK, i think Maynard actually says followed by FAULT LINES that cannot sit still.... referring to the shifting tectonic plates near the western coast of the US... but i guess if you want to think he says that, go for it. get out of it whatever you can. I believe most of Tool's "messages" are not meant for us to intrpret literally, but rather for us to interpret in a way that makes us feel whatever we NEED to feel to continue in a positive social light.... anyway, back to the topic:

TOP 5

VERRRY difficult to narrow down as i listen to Tool songs based on my mood. so here goes nothin'....

#5 Undertow- i really like the drumming in this song, hi hat is tight.
#4 Flood- such a slick bass riff to introduce the final part of the song...
#3 Sober- The song that started it all. Yes,. i saw it on MTV. so what!? Tool didn't make MTV and MTV didn't make Tool.
#2 The Grudge- I waited SO long for this album. This song makes me want to kill and love at the same time. Such intense emotion immediately swept over me. ESPECIALLY because this album lived up to my expectations. Tool, I thank you.
#1 No Quarter- Ok, i know it's a cover. Doesn't matter, i like Tool's version so much better. the slight lyrical changes, the heavy musical changes... This song put me into a hole and pulled me back out again. I have so much emotion tied to this song, there was no reason to put it anywhere else in the list.... However, tune in next week for an entirely DIFFERENT list.. ;)
~MATT
Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

1. The Patient - I have listened to this song about a million times and I still get very emotional listening to it

2. Third Eye - A very powerful and mind expanding song

3. Sober - A true classic

4. The Grudge - The part at the end after Maynard screams "Let GOOOO!" is simply incredible

5. Stinkfist - One of the first Tool songs I ever heard and still one of my favorites
Old 01-24-2003, 01:24 AM   #30
Level 2 - Poster

My top 10 are...

10. Hooker With A Penis
9. Intolerance
8. Jerk Off
7. Stinkfist
6. Cold and Ugly
5. Eulogy
4. Sober
3. 46 & 2
2. Prison Sex
1. Ænema
Old 01-31-2003, 05:22 PM   #31
Banned.

Bincount™: 70
???

lateralus
eulogy
flood
intolerance
prison sex
Old 02-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Top Five; In No Order

--No Quarter--
--The Patient--
--H.--
--Lateralus--
--Parabol(a)--
Very tough decision. This list will be different in a couple of days, though.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:30 AM   #33
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
I've done this before but I'll do it again...

Third Eye
Lateralus
D/R/T
Undertow
Eulogy
H.
jimmy
Ænema
Pushit (live)
Old 02-12-2003, 01:33 AM   #34
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 358
I love torturing myself on these threads. No particular order.

H.

Disposition/Reflection

Eulogy

Parabol/Parabola

Forty-Six & 2

You bastards. I'm not going to explain why because I'll wind up changing it when I rethink my explanations.

So they built as men must build
With the sword in one hand and the trowel in the other.

T.S. Eliot.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

story:
So here are the answers for you now all the random stuff you might have been wondering about(RS Gold). If you have another question that isn't answered, feel free to ask! I'll answer everything as best I can. As a generalized disclaimer, there might be some spoilers in this edition. I've tried to keep(WOW Power Leveling) them down as best I can, but you never know so read at your own risk. If you have any problems with buying cheap WOW money, please come to our website, you will receive rapid relies to your enquiries. It is our pleasure to provide the highest quality customer service for every WOW player. Once you trade here, you will find it is quite safe, convenient and fast to place an order and deliver the order.By the way, we sincerely invite all game players (WOW Gold)whether you are newbie or veteran to Buy WOW Gold money.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

5. Pushit: So much intensity, suspense, release...masterpiece.
4. Lateralus: Incredibly moving, one of the best off the album.
3. H.: One of the most beautiful songs the band has written.
2. Third Eye: One of the most intense and mindblowing songs ever written. Enough said.
1. 10,000 Days (part 1 and 2): This is not just my favorite Tool song but also one of my favorite songs of all time. Genius, from minute 0 to 17.........nothing can beat the sheer beauty, the awe, the power of this track IMO.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

5.) 4 degrees- LET MEEEEEEEEEEEEE......... in.

4.) The pot- great lyrics with music that makes you want to headbang. Their best song to rock out to, others are more for listening I think.

3.)Aenima- its crazy how quickly it can go from attacking to melodic, especially maynards voice. I can relate to his anger towards society and dumbass fads. Also the Hicks refrence is funny.

2.)Lateralus- the best song for an artist, it can really spark inspiration. It tells me that the possibilities are endless and that we have great potential for anything that we apply ourselves to. The music is energetic and every member stands out in the song.

1.) Stinkfist- In a little while my order will prbabably change cause that's how good tool is, but stinkfist will always remain at #1. It's helped me get through life more than any other song and the music is very mysterious but inviting. I get chills almost every time around "how can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel a thing at all." No one will ever compare to Tool
Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #38
Banned.

I just had do do ten. As odd as it seems making a top 5 is much more difficult for me then making a top ten. Anyway, here's my list.

1. Pushit
This is the perfect song when you have 10 minutes to kill, it also has some of tool's most eerie and most heavy moments on it. The lyrics are just intense.
2. Parabol(a)
I love how the two parts work together. The riff is also their most memorable. Just an overall great combo of songs.
3. Flood
I love this songs ominous first 3 minutes. That riff just seems so creepy and paranoid and builds up to one of undertow's most fast paced songs. The lyrics are great on this as well.
4. Third eye
It starts out so ambient and the Bill Hicks quotes oddly fit perfectly. This song managed to simultaneously be tool's quietest and heaviest track.
5. Opiate
Not their most subtle track out there but still has a very strong message. Also the hidden track on this always manages to creep me out then make me laugh.
6. Prison Sex
This is the song that got me in to tool. The only thing more memorable then the guitar and the lyrics on this is the music video.
7. Jambi
I just love the bass on this. I love it enough to put it in the top ten based (no pun intended) solely on that fact. The rest of it is above average for a tool song, anyways.
8. DRT
When you include the three as one song it's kinda hard NOT to put it on your list. I'm not the biggest fan out there of Disposition but still, the combination in a way represents all of tool's sides, you got the serene Disposition, the mind-boggling Reflection, and the heavy Triad.
9. Intolerance
Just a great opener. This song's lyrics are also so rebellious and angry. Basically a song made for when someone pisses you off by either lying, cheating or stealing.
10. Swamp Song
This is just way too quotable to not be on this list. If only I had a dollar for every time I called someone a "stupid, belligerent fucker"...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: