opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » Artwork
User Name
Password
Old 11-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 217
secret formula???

here is a quote from maynard, he was talking to Blair(works alot on toolband.com, and is a friend of maynards) about all the secrets he has given on toolband.com, this is from the most recent newsletter.

"Also, there was the thing about the mathematical formula encoded in the insert catalogue on the European issue of Aenima. Fortunately, nobody's figured that one out yet"

can anyone figure this out?
Old 11-23-2002, 10:26 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
I don't have the European issue... do you have a picture?

Uh... it wouldn't happen to be cesaro summability would it? I think I heard somewhere that has something to do with proof that one = infinity, but I could just be being really stupid right now.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 181
I have both the european and [american?] verions, and im looking at the catalouge insert now.
err, i can't figure it out but heres what it is.

It's pictures of 16 fake tool albums, and here are their names.

Gay Rodeo
Bethlehem Abortion Clinic
Bad Breath
Crapsticks Smothered In Dictators. A Collection Of B Sides
Iced Pee
Mungey The Clown
Spring Boner
Tetanus For Breakfast
Two Weeners For Daddy
The Other White Meat
3 Fat Brown Fingers
Nurse Kedimella's Kit*chen
I Smell Urine
Brown Magic And Big Appetites. Music From The Movie Soundtrack Jelly Doughnut.
Just Up That Dirt Road - Tool Live! At The Acropolis
The Christmas Album.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:07 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

I recall seeing those images somewhere, though the image of exactly where has unfortunately slipped me as of yet. I did not see any form of mathematical sequences and whatnot in it, but that to me of course falls back upon the fact that I was and am never able to grasp anything mathematical to a point.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:16 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Secret formula

I don't know about anyone else but when I read that news letter on ToolBand.com I thought it was a joke. If there were any secrets in any liner notes I think they would keep them just that. Tool doesn't seem to like spoiling any secrets for their fans and you've got to appreciate that.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:40 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

go look up past newsletters and see if Blair talked about it.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:06 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Secret formula

Quote:
Originally posted by Zerocool997
I don't know about anyone else but when I read that news letter on ToolBand.com I thought it was a joke. If there were any secrets in any liner notes I think they would keep them just that. Tool doesn't seem to like spoiling any secrets for their fans and you've got to appreciate that.
I have to agree. I read that too and it sounded somewhat sarcastic as well as when Maynard commented on the whole squeezing his cat thing. If I were a member of Tool I would sit back and just laugh at all the crazy stuff people come up with. And I also have to agree that if there are these types of codes, etc. on the Tool albums, Tool wouldn't advertise it.
Leaving people somewhat in the dark, and leaving the music open to interpretation is part of what makes Tool such a great band.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:37 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm from portugal, so i have that version. Its quite strange, but probably that whole thing of the formula is just to fuck with our minds. And maybe with that they are encouraging the fans to search and even create a formula. kind of a test...but with no correct answer.
But why would they insert on the whole booklet of an album pictures of fake covers without any meaning? its a waste of space, dont u think so?
Old 11-27-2002, 01:32 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
more on this

if anyone wants to check out the covers their on a german site of TOOL, its pretty easy to find though i do not have it with me right now. In my opinion i think it has nothing to do with the pictures, but with the words. Their are many codes that could be hidden in them, but as im still having problems with fractions dont ask me. I also think it could just be a joke... who the hell cares? dont sweat it.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:41 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

the site is www.toolband.de and then the pictures are under fotos (look at the menu on the side)
Old 11-27-2002, 09:33 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Maybe

im too lazy to do this right now....but since those are words...
and this sis some kind of mathmatical formula...

maybe take the first letter of each fake album and see what letter of the alphebet it is...a=1 b=2 ...ect

But i still dont know what number this would make or how it would be a formula....maybe its a start?
Old 11-27-2002, 09:38 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

maybe not

i guess im not too lazy. here are the numbers i got

three 2's
two 3's
one 5
one 7
two 9's
one 13
one 14
four 20's

WELL.....i have no idea.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:09 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Re: maybe not

Quote:
Originally posted by Severance
i guess im not too lazy. here are the numbers i got

three 2's
two 3's
one 5
one 7
two 9's
one 13
one 14
four 20's

WELL.....i have no idea.
add those numbers up, and you get 168... square root of which is a number like 12.93835 rounded up you get 13, nymber of tracks on lateralus...

doubt thats signifigant tho
Old 11-29-2002, 08:04 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 181
Quote:
Originally posted by Æmitis
I'm from portugal, so i have that version. Its quite strange, but probably that whole thing of the formula is just to fuck with our minds. And maybe with that they are encouraging the fans to search and even create a formula. kind of a test...but with no correct answer.
But why would they insert on the whole booklet of an album pictures of fake covers without any meaning? its a waste of space, dont u think so?
I found them all amusing, like the I Smell Urine one..
Old 12-01-2002, 02:30 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
you can make anything saying anything if you look deep enough look i'll prove it
this sites background is black which is used in the song lateralus. the opposite is white which only one beatle wore on the cover of abby road that was the last album by the beatles. which was made at the end the of the 60's and if you turn that upside down you get 09 which is the time (9:00) when i ate a sandwich which had tomato on it which is red another colour in lateralus and is almost pink which has a band with that word in it(pink floyd) they play proggessive rock similar to tool a word that sounds like mule with are like sheep who don't think for themselves just like alot of people and most these people don't own the album AEnima.

see i told you

go banana!!
Old 12-01-2002, 06:31 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
hehe, thats funny. Man i think you need to get out more if you made up all that to show your point. But the thing is mathematical formulas can sometimes be the wierdest things in the world, so who knows?
Old 12-01-2002, 07:21 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Iced Pee.... LOL!!! You know?... like Iced Tea... huh?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #18
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I use the eye. Occasionally the smokebox. I think the contortionist scene is corny...
short wave dictator launches the blitzkrieg upon your frontal lobe the unexpected siege of the fortress thought impenetrable "world peace" just a few elusive frequencies away for there is no enslavement more absolute than unconscious enslavement.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:09 PM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally posted by hateandvaseline
I use the eye. Occasionally the smokebox. I think the contortionist scene is corny...
i think your in the wrong thread.....
Old 12-01-2002, 01:16 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

anyone wanna count how many eyes are on the smokebox cover?....im a lazy bitch
Old 12-01-2002, 01:51 PM   #21

Haha, I think I was also.
Anyway, you asked how many eyes their are? I don't think I would be able to count, since it's animated. But, hey, it's worth a shot. How about that lecture on futants or whatever? Anything in there?
short wave dictator launches the blitzkrieg upon your frontal lobe the unexpected siege of the fortress thought impenetrable "world peace" just a few elusive frequencies away for there is no enslavement more absolute than unconscious enslavement.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:17 PM   #22

If someone could get me a scan of the pages that are in the European version that aren't in the US version (and their location relative to the other pages), I might be able to figure it out. And if not, I could make one up that would seem like it was deliberate.

Has anyone seen the movie "Pi"?
Old 12-02-2002, 04:36 PM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckhawk

Has anyone seen the movie "Pi"?
i havnt, i really want to though, i like aronofsky's Requiem for a dream alot, so i want to see pi as well...
Old 12-03-2002, 01:43 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by Braydon
you can make anything saying anything if you look deep enough look i'll prove it
this sites background is black which is used in the song lateralus. the opposite is white which only one beatle wore on the cover of abby road that was the last album by the beatles. which was made at the end the of the 60's and if you turn that upside down you get 09 which is the time (9:00) when i ate a sandwich which had tomato on it which is red another colour in lateralus and is almost pink which has a band with that word in it(pink floyd) they play proggessive rock similar to tool a word that sounds like mule with are like sheep who don't think for themselves just like alot of people and most these people don't own the album AEnima.

see i told you
Good job! LOL! It's like 6 degrees of separation! I bet if Maynard saw this, he'd be laughing his ass off at us all sitting around at our computers trying to figure out his little code.
Probably is no code. But what if there is, and he only said that to make people thing that there really is no code, but in reality there is a code so important that its very existance could threaten life as we know it!!!..... just a thought.

Did anyone know what he was talking about when he refered to the subliminal stuff on Salival and Lateralus?

Mandora
Old 12-06-2002, 01:54 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by flipmojo
Iced Pee.... LOL!!! You know?... like Iced Tea... huh?
Iced Pee has always brought a smile to my face. sometimes at night, lying in bed trying to sleep i'll think about it and it makes me grin in the dark.

Anyway - to be quite honest i sincerely think that TOOL fux with us more than we would care to admit. but you never know. They are always giving just enough info to plant the seed in your head. then its up to us to do the rest.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Fux?
what the hell kind spelling is that.

go banana!!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:30 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well, if you were in a band, and always on the road, dealing with the pressure of pleasing thousands or even millions of fans, wouldn't you try to find things to amuse yourself too? I think that tool has a little fun by steying in the "shadow" or by making artwork and music that can be interpreted in many different ways. Then they can sit back and see the difference between their fans. The sheep who just hear schisim on the radio and buy a t-shirt. Or the ones who sit and really listen to the music, appreciating the complexness of it, the time signatures they use, the way the artwork and videos match up with the songs. The true fans are not going to sit at their computers for hours trying to crack some "imaginary code", instead they will take that time, and do something acully constructive with it.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:21 PM   #28
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: the house with the red door... now red was your colour
Bincount™: 2324
tricky numbers

Hmmmmmmmm
Not a great deal of action going to come out of me with this one... I am from the land down under (the seventh layer of hell) and have been blessed with both versions of Ænima, but I'm not prepared to get up and study them...
Maybe when I'm getting pissed, stoned or whatever with a bunch of mates we'll go stare at the inside and it'll all come together, but for now I'll just sit here and feel satisfied that 'no one's figured that one out' and I'm not about to change that.

Quote:
Originally posted by nyfeh

add those numbers up, and you get 168... square root of which is a number like 12.93835 rounded up you get 13, nymber of tracks on lateralus...

doubt thats signifigant tho
Hmmmmmmm m mmm mmm (again)
It could be significant, or it could be about as important as the number of times I cleaned my colon this morning... (But you're still doing more about it than I am, maybe because I'm under the impression that the grain of salt that comes with every comment made by a band member of Tool, just became a pile the size of the north face of the Eiger)...

-don't just call me a pessimist, try and read between the lines-

Last edited by neo_taboolie; 12-10-2002 at 10:23 PM..
Old 12-17-2002, 11:49 AM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

can't see the forest for the trees

Old 12-29-2002, 06:48 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by stattica
the site is www.toolband.de and then the pictures are under fotos (look at the menu on the side)
Thank You sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 07:02 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: secret formula???

Quote:
Originally posted by stattica
here is a quote from maynard, he was talking to Blair(works alot on toolband.com, and is a friend of maynards) about all the secrets he has given on toolband.com, this is from the most recent newsletter.

"Also, there was the thing about the mathematical formula encoded in the insert catalogue on the European issue of Aenima. Fortunately, nobody's figured that one out yet"

can anyone figure this out?
They're just having a laugh. Look at the catalogue number from "Spring Boner". It reads 80085 (BOOBS!!!!!!)
Old 01-19-2003, 01:36 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24
Hahahahahahahah....that gave me such a damn good laugh...
Like everyones been trying to figure out the code for a while and then it ends up being that.
Hahahaha....tool rules!

Good sense of humor already
Old 01-30-2003, 05:52 AM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by LoKi
I have both the european and [american?] verions, and im looking at the catalouge insert now.
err, i can't figure it out but heres what it is.

It's pictures of 16 fake tool albums, and here are their names.

Gay Rodeo
Bethlehem Abortion Clinic
Bad Breath
Crapsticks Smothered In Dictators. A Collection Of B Sides
Iced Pee
Mungey The Clown
Spring Boner
Tetanus For Breakfast
Two Weeners For Daddy
The Other White Meat
3 Fat Brown Fingers
Nurse Kedimella's Kit*chen
I Smell Urine
Brown Magic And Big Appetites. Music From The Movie Soundtrack Jelly Doughnut.
Just Up That Dirt Road - Tool Live! At The Acropolis
The Christmas Album.
Thats from a bootleg if irc i've seen that pic at toolshed
Old 01-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #34
derriere extraordinaire
(Winner, TTU #1)

Bincount™: 50

mathematical formula indeed... it's more evidence that human anatomy is made up entirely of complex equations and strings of numbers, much as computer software consists of strings of hexidecimal code. obviously our genius musician friends in tool have discovered some of the coding involved in a female's genetic structure. bravo, free drinks on the house
Old 07-18-2003, 10:27 AM   #35
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 87
Maybe the secret can be found in the fake albums catalouge numbers?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:10 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

BOOBS!!!

And at the end of the liner notes on the US version there's See You Auntie (C.U.N.T.) but I figure you already knew that...

(btw. I was SonOfWillieThePimp, but my cookie was deleted somehow and now I've finally found a way to get back here again)

Last edited by kaztor; 07-23-2003 at 04:50 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: