Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Megalodony
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM

same one for basically a whole tour??? (ran out of room for the title)

What is everyone's thought on this? It kind of makes me mad (disappointed) that Maynard treats Puscifer better than Tool as far as arrangements and set lists are concerned. I haven't seen Puscifer as of yet, but I do plan to when they do the whole United States tour coming up next year.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 289
Why does Puscifer have different set lists every night compared to Tool having the sa

same one for basically a whole tour??? (ran out of room for the title)

What is everyone's thought on this? It kind of makes me mad (disappointed) that Maynard treats Puscifer better than Tool as far as arrangements and set lists are concerned. I haven't seen Puscifer as of yet, but I do plan to when they do the whole United States tour coming up next year.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Megalodony
12-22-2009, 10:36 PM

Maybe I should have chose a different word to describe it, poor choice. It just seems to me that Maynard is all giddy with his new toy and has more passion put forth into the Puscifer tour.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Banned.

Re: Why does Puscifer have different set lists every night compared to Tool having th

Maybe I should have chose a different word to describe it, poor choice. It just seems to me that Maynard is all giddy with his new toy and has more passion put forth into the Puscifer tour.
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
12-23-2009, 01:50 AM

TOOL was a very big production on this last tour, you have to keep that in mind. They weren't just playing music, they were playing along with lights and lasers and 139 projectors and giant artwork and all that. I saw them in 2007 and they *gasp* changed up the setlist--they added "Holiday in Cambodia". Well compared to the audio-visual masterpieces that made up the rest of the setlist, this song had absolutely nothing. It was impromptu so there were no lights and vocals, just standard lights playing on their clinically white stage. No soul. At this point TOOL works better in their own element, where everything is scripted, like a play. You don't go to see a play or something like that and expect a radically different outcome in every city, you expect a scripted and refined masterpiece that is repeated flawlessly every night.

Puscifer on the other hand, is in the experimental phase, kind of like Tool in the late 90's. They have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want because they haven't ground themselves into a niche (yet?).

In the end, it's really apples and oranges. The only similarity is that the same bald dude is singing.

Last edited by hushypushy; 12-23-2009 at 01:53 AM..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
Re: Why does Puscifer have different set lists every night compared to Tool having th

TOOL was a very big production on this last tour, you have to keep that in mind. They weren't just playing music, they were playing along with lights and lasers and 139 projectors and giant artwork and all that. I saw them in 2007 and they *gasp* changed up the setlist--they added "Holiday in Cambodia". Well compared to the audio-visual masterpieces that made up the rest of the setlist, this song had absolutely nothing. It was impromptu so there were no lights and vocals, just standard lights playing on their clinically white stage. No soul. At this point TOOL works better in their own element, where everything is scripted, like a play. You don't go to see a play or something like that and expect a radically different outcome in every city, you expect a scripted and refined masterpiece that is repeated flawlessly every night.

Puscifer on the other hand, is in the experimental phase, kind of like Tool in the late 90's. They have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want because they haven't ground themselves into a niche (yet?).

In the end, it's really apples and oranges. The only similarity is that the same bald dude is singing.

Last edited by hushypushy; 12-23-2009 at 01:53 AM..
Hodge
12-23-2009, 02:06 AM

pretty sure i read it is easy for the dudes running the lights and shit to add in new songs

face it, maynard just has no heart left for tool and is a big ******
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

pretty sure i read it is easy for the dudes running the lights and shit to add in new songs

face it, maynard just has no heart left for tool and is a big ******
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
12-23-2009, 04:56 AM

my opinion

tool is the hammer, putting nails in the coffin of rock. rock is dead.

by only playing certain songs, they are forcing us to find other alternatives.

imsso Shpongle.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

my opinion

tool is the hammer, putting nails in the coffin of rock. rock is dead.

by only playing certain songs, they are forcing us to find other alternatives.

imsso Shpongle.
12-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
iirc Junior (the lightning man) wrote this in the tour section as well: "lights & lasers" go by hand. So are easy to adjust every time every day every second(?).
well they had nothing more than the most basic lighting. We're talking white light, a spotlight, nothing fancy at all. Very bland on their WHITE stage intended for projections.

They can say anything they want, as can you, but the fact of the matter is the one time when they actually threw in a new song for fun (like everyone was waiting for), it turned out to be a pretty bland experience. Their expertise now is in an epic scripted performance, not improv and experimentation.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
iirc Junior (the lightning man) wrote this in the tour section as well: "lights & lasers" go by hand. So are easy to adjust every time every day every second(?).
well they had nothing more than the most basic lighting. We're talking white light, a spotlight, nothing fancy at all. Very bland on their WHITE stage intended for projections.

They can say anything they want, as can you, but the fact of the matter is the one time when they actually threw in a new song for fun (like everyone was waiting for), it turned out to be a pretty bland experience. Their expertise now is in an epic scripted performance, not improv and experimentation.
12-23-2009, 12:51 PM

I think Tool are done. They reached their creative peak with Lateralus and MJK is now wiser, richer and mellower. The anger that fueled his talents with Tool (IMO) passed with his mother. He's now reached middle age. I have too. I'm not the same guy I was in the 90's. People move on and make changes in their lives. Living in the past is awkward and uncomfortable. People make decisions and choices based on who they are TODAY. This isn't our Reverend Maynard anymore. He's now Puscifer/winemaker/father. These are the things that he now enjoys doing. It is what it is. I really think Tool are done.

Last edited by valhalla; 12-23-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I think Tool are done. They reached their creative peak with Lateralus and MJK is now wiser, richer and mellower. The anger that fueled his talents with Tool (IMO) passed with his mother. He's now reached middle age. I have too. I'm not the same guy I was in the 90's. People move on and make changes in their lives. Living in the past is awkward and uncomfortable. People make decisions and choices based on who they are TODAY. This isn't our Reverend Maynard anymore. He's now Puscifer/winemaker/father. These are the things that he now enjoys doing. It is what it is. I really think Tool are done.

Last edited by valhalla; 12-23-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Hodge
12-23-2009, 01:40 PM

tool's too heavy for me nowdays anyways so it's best if we both moved on
damn i'm turning into an old man
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

tool's too heavy for me nowdays anyways so it's best if we both moved on
damn i'm turning into an old man
Wild_Lion_
12-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Cabaret DUH
people like variety.. But I understand we can't just fork out for every show
Old 12-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Cabaret DUH
people like variety.. But I understand we can't just fork out for every show
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
12-23-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodony View Post
Wait for Puscifer to age up to the amount of years that Tool is playing. By then Puscifer will only play their biggest hits too, 'cause people will expect them to.

IF puscifer will even last THAT long that is....
Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Wait for Puscifer to age up to the amount of years that Tool is playing. By then Puscifer will only play their biggest hits too, 'cause people will expect them to.

IF puscifer will even last THAT long that is....
12-23-2009, 03:14 PM

it's cause maynard can actually sing all the puscifer songs
Old 12-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 488

Agenda's Avatar Agenda
12-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriter View Post
This is absolutely correct. If you listen to bootlegs from recent Tool tours 2006-2009, you can tell he is struggling with several songs. His voice just isn't the same as it once was. It's not as if he started out with a weak voice, but after years of nightly shows and putting a great deal of effort into those shows, his voice is a bit worn. He even complained at one show before the pot saying "My doctor says I shouldn't do this song live, but if I don't you will all bitch". With Puscifer he sings with back up ever night and prerecorded samples. In addition Puscifer songs are designed around his new range. Tool are not done, the set list and material will just be different.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
This is absolutely correct. If you listen to bootlegs from recent Tool tours 2006-2009, you can tell he is struggling with several songs. His voice just isn't the same as it once was. It's not as if he started out with a weak voice, but after years of nightly shows and putting a great deal of effort into those shows, his voice is a bit worn. He even complained at one show before the pot saying "My doctor says I shouldn't do this song live, but if I don't you will all bitch". With Puscifer he sings with back up ever night and prerecorded samples. In addition Puscifer songs are designed around his new range. Tool are not done, the set list and material will just be different.
12-26-2009, 02:41 PM

I see.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
Banned.

I see.
valhalla
12-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
I think Tool are done.
Looks like I'm wrong. Per the Toolband site;

"Congratulations to Ms. Stump of Hollywood, Kalifornia for her "crystal castle." As the winner, besides getting to sit in on a writing/arranging session with the band members in the new year..."

Fingers crossed.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
I think Tool are done.
Looks like I'm wrong. Per the Toolband site;

"Congratulations to Ms. Stump of Hollywood, Kalifornia for her "crystal castle." As the winner, besides getting to sit in on a writing/arranging session with the band members in the new year..."

Fingers crossed.
12-29-2009, 10:24 AM

they had several hundred submissions and Danny's wife's castle won? hmmm
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
Level 11 - Clamorous

they had several hundred submissions and Danny's wife's castle won? hmmm
12-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisu View Post
I think he hit the hammer on the head.
errr... nail.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
the moose is loose

Bincount™: 7462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisu View Post
I think he hit the hammer on the head.
errr... nail.
12-29-2009, 01:58 PM

after seeing them at the end of '07 it was obvious that only the band was still into it, which is why i passed on the 'tour' last summer.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

after seeing them at the end of '07 it was obvious that only the band was still into it, which is why i passed on the 'tour' last summer.
Negentropy
12-29-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
And rightfully so. IMO. After hearing those same riffs and all the new ones only being a variation of an older one, and always playing in D for almost 20 years has to get boring. In fact I don't go see tool to hear them play, but to watch their light show on LSD with familiar songs playing in the background. I only wish they would play the other half of the show that includes the grudge, third eye, and all the "good" songs that Maynard can't sing anymore. At this point I don't care what the fuck Tool does because I've moved on...until the next album. lol. Puscifer is pretty clever and creative in it's own right. I enjoy what's going on with Maynard these days. He's more comic whereas he used to be so tragic. He's going down the other side of the mountain.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 108

Quote:
And rightfully so. IMO. After hearing those same riffs and all the new ones only being a variation of an older one, and always playing in D for almost 20 years has to get boring. In fact I don't go see tool to hear them play, but to watch their light show on LSD with familiar songs playing in the background. I only wish they would play the other half of the show that includes the grudge, third eye, and all the "good" songs that Maynard can't sing anymore. At this point I don't care what the fuck Tool does because I've moved on...until the next album. lol. Puscifer is pretty clever and creative in it's own right. I enjoy what's going on with Maynard these days. He's more comic whereas he used to be so tragic. He's going down the other side of the mountain.
Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
12-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Uh I'm going to have to disagree. I would have agreed up until I saw puscifer and saw him belt a 15-20+ second long scream at the end of undertaker. Cant sing tool songs my ass.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

Quote:
Uh I'm going to have to disagree. I would have agreed up until I saw puscifer and saw him belt a 15-20+ second long scream at the end of undertaker. Cant sing tool songs my ass.
01-02-2010, 04:55 PM

I'd love to see them live, maybe if I wish on a special star it might come true..
That or get my criminal records removed so I can fly out (fucking Pot) :-) "Come in for a spot of tea " What can I say I love Wormie :-P
Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I'd love to see them live, maybe if I wish on a special star it might come true..
That or get my criminal records removed so I can fly out (fucking Pot) :-) "Come in for a spot of tea " What can I say I love Wormie :-P
meriter
01-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjalf View Post
He can still sing Tool songs just not a dozen of them in a row. The human voice is a delicate thing. You can push it, but only so far.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjalf View Post
He can still sing Tool songs just not a dozen of them in a row. The human voice is a delicate thing. You can push it, but only so far.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
01-02-2010, 05:04 PM

The buzz about Pucifers recent live shows have been very positive, can't wait until they come round this way in the spring.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #22
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

The buzz about Pucifers recent live shows have been very positive, can't wait until they come round this way in the spring.
AnotherDeadHero's Avatar AnotherDeadHero
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM

I look at Puscfer as Maynard shitting on a record...i do like Puscifer though, its just not as serious or big or great as tool. I think he thinks of it as entertainment instead of a professional project. Hes just having fun with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

I look at Puscfer as Maynard shitting on a record...i do like Puscifer though, its just not as serious or big or great as tool. I think he thinks of it as entertainment instead of a professional project. Hes just having fun with it.
01-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
when he comes back around, I just hope I don't end up going to the "all country" night...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #24
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
when he comes back around, I just hope I don't end up going to the "all country" night...
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM

why be the clown when you can be the ring leader..puscifer is maynards mind child that sprang from his brain..tool is the bands baby that they share w/all they're inputs..puscifer being another branch on his tree of knowledge..maynard still has bad karma to burn..except he's not the same angry/hungry artist..pissed at the world..feeding off the crowds energy as they feed off his..has the money..fame and ladies everything he always thirst for..all hungers have been filled..anger issues die..having the american dream..wouldnt surprise me if he gets married next month "or so" to bring it all into focus
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

why be the clown when you can be the ring leader..puscifer is maynards mind child that sprang from his brain..tool is the bands baby that they share w/all they're inputs..puscifer being another branch on his tree of knowledge..maynard still has bad karma to burn..except he's not the same angry/hungry artist..pissed at the world..feeding off the crowds energy as they feed off his..has the money..fame and ladies everything he always thirst for..all hungers have been filled..anger issues die..having the american dream..wouldnt surprise me if he gets married next month "or so" to bring it all into focus
dissected-detcessid's Avatar dissected-detcessid
02-19-2010, 11:45 AM

It always did kinda rub me the wrong way when every time I've gone to see Tool I have to put up with the same songs and maybe 2 or 3 being different. They always play Schism, Stinkfist, Aenima, Sober, and Laturalus... don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but I'd like to hear maybe The Grudge, or perhaps Third Eye.
Sometimes I wish I was a little older so I could've seen them play some of their earlier stuff. But it's a time where quality music goes under the radar while singles move their way to the top.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

It always did kinda rub me the wrong way when every time I've gone to see Tool I have to put up with the same songs and maybe 2 or 3 being different. They always play Schism, Stinkfist, Aenima, Sober, and Laturalus... don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but I'd like to hear maybe The Grudge, or perhaps Third Eye.
Sometimes I wish I was a little older so I could've seen them play some of their earlier stuff. But it's a time where quality music goes under the radar while singles move their way to the top.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply